Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• mikeblymikebly Member Posts: 3
    biggest dealer in michigan said they would order what i wanted but would take 90-120 days. I forgot to ask how much i'd have to put down and is it refundable?
  • rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 23
    I don't want to keep mine clean - I've had it since April, haven't washed it yet. I do wash the bugs off the windshield, but only because they're a hazard if left there. I doubt I'll ever wash the FJ.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    I don't think we'll see many soccer moms in FJs. FJ is not a minivan, so from practicality perspective, it's not for this category of buyers.

As for the 4Runner, I too don't like its styling too much. The front end looks too angry. And the fake hood scoop on Sport is very unattractive. I hear the sitting position is too low as well. However, the ability to sleep inside in relative comfort is a huge plus, if one plans on camping in the wilderness. That's where 4Runner's 12 extra inches of interior length (compared to FJ) is very attractive.

FJs, on the other hand, are way too distinctive, and stick out in traffic like a sore thumb. If that's your thing, by all means, but sometimes it's not very pleasant to feel like an animal in a zoo being constantly stared at :) And if you plan on driving into some small and remote places, you'd probably be the main attraction for all the folks down there :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The one on my block has moved in permanently - now there's one next door to my ski buddy's house. And it's the same color (black cherry pearl) as the one on my block.
  • gypsyjongypsyjon Member Posts: 38
    I have to say, that I am absolutely crazy about my FJ. I know everyone who spends this kind of money, will say they love the thing...been in marketing a long time...but really, I love it!!

I am 6'6" tall and fit in it just fine..after all these years I can now wear a hat in my truck, without having to drive a Navigator or some other god aweful thing...It is way cool...I like the sound system, but want to put a preamp in for my XM and iRiver, they dont get as loud as they need to be,,but all in all, it is great...My wife loves it and she has a diesel Jeep Liberty that is also WAY cool....I would arm wrestle anyone for a Voodoo Blue FJ with a 4 or 6 cylinder diesel in it!!!!
  • james74james74 Member Posts: 3
    Is the 3 instrument (compass, temp, attitude) gauge console that is situated in the center of the dashboard standard? My wife does not like it, so I am hoping that it is an option.

thx
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    Heaven forbid someone might actually want to know the direction they are heading when off-road...or on-road for that matter! The gauges are useful, and besides that it is a feature that would seem to be lacking for any potential buyer should you ever decide to sell the vehicle. Just tell the wife to ignore the gauges as usual along w/oil pressure, engine temp, etc.
    It is an option that comes with Package 1 and 2. I am not sure if it comes with the convience package that you must have to get option 1 or 2.

Go toyota.com and you can figure out which ones do not get it. I think the ones that are pretty stripped down do not have it.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    The gauges are only included in the Upgrade packages 1# and #2 if you only get the Convience package you woul dnot have the guages.
  • mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    The FJ Cruiser (along with the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe) has just been rated "good" for offset crashworthiness protection, as released by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Click here for an overview of the results.

Mike
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    Mike...No comparison with the Hyundai. They said that the FJ only use premium gas and the mpg is bad. reg is $3.00 and the high test is way too high. You will have to be a millionaire to buy one of this baby s.....
  • mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    Well, I was just noting that the results for the Hyundai were also released. I didn't intend to compare the two, actually. ;)

But yes, the Toyota's annual fuel requirements will cost on average around $500 more than those of the Hyundai (based on the typically inaccurate EPA estimates).

Mike
  • voodoofxvoodoofx Member Posts: 81
    What nonsense! The Fj runs fine on regular. For an off-road vehicle the m.p.g. [17-20] is not bad. The average sedan sold in the U.S. gets only 21 m.p.g. so there must be a lot of millionaires.
  • chasenmechasenme Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering how the FJ does offroad what Im looking for is something that can make the Rubicon does anyone know if the FJ is capable right out of the box?
  • jbonfeldjbonfeld Member Posts: 1
    As mentioned earlier, the Toyota of Sarasota dealership website is the best I've found for inventory search or building your own vehicle. There is fantastic detail for options individually and the packages. You can then print or have the summary emailed. I did just that and will carry it with me when I go to buy. Given the bait and switch a lot of the other sites seem to be using, this was a refreshing find.
    voodoofx.... I think you should research a little more deeper that what you are saying. the FJ could get as low as 11 mpg and if Toyota find out that you use regular it could void you warranty if fuel relater problem happens.
  • steenhsteenh Member Posts: 103
    I think Toyota is eliminating the "Premium Fuel Requirement" so there would not be a warranty void. As far as MPG, if you let a Corolla sit and idle in the driveway for a day, you'd get 0 MPG so of course the mileage could be 11, or higher, or lower. All depends on how you drive. On the highway, are you at 60 or 80 MPH? Are you in stop and go traffic a lot? Are you off-road in 4-Lo and wheeling etc... An off-road vehicle isn't designed for high mileage for sure, but the FJ isn't really worse than other off-road machines in general.
    Steenh.... I will go and test drive one maybe next week, I heard over the news that Toyota is in trouble, sell drop big time. I have an US made SUV, the difference is that the US SUV cost more at front, the part when you repair them are low in price. The [non-permissible content removed] are low in price at front but the parts to repair them are costly.
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    Just reading your post and choice of words "[non-permissible content removed]" cracks me up. I guess the repeated problems with my brothers Yukon are ok because it is "cheap" to fix it multiple times per year. You enjoy your US made SUVs, and if passing Ford in sales is bad I am sure Toyota will take that news all day long. :P
    Murphydog.... Seems to me that you are a big contender, maybe you pay to somebody to fix your vehicles that is very good. I love peaple like you and so the "[non-permissible content removed]"....... :sick:
  • kristymisskristymiss Member Posts: 10
    Anyone happen to know the invoice price (dealer price)for the side steps? Our local dealership is lying to us about it.
    Edmunds' invoice pricing for the running boards is $276. link

I'm assuming they are the same as the side steps?
  • killerbeaskillerbeas Member Posts: 1
    I may be interested in buying the FJ....I read about 100 posts and have not seen much about maintenance issues. Obviously, this is good, but is there anyone out there that has had, or heard, about any significant issues with this first year vehicle?
  • kruzer4kruzer4 Member Posts: 3
    I have asked my dealer and no one seems to know for sure. I get asked all the time and I do not have an answer. can anyone help...
  • rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 23
    Find Toyota Bulletin PP06-VG6027 issued 3-24/06 - your dealer will have a copy. It says "However, regular unleaded fuel with a minimum octane rating is acceptable." It adds that the HP rating might be reduced with the use of non-premium fuel.
    I think the original FJ was just a model designation and didn't stand for anything; iirc the F meant it had a gas engine?

Detractors say it stands for Fisher/Price Jeep, Foreign Jeep, or Fake Jeep. :P
    I have had mine since May and to date it has been problem free.

First foreign car I have ever owned...So why did I wait so long???
    just got back from Tellico and a trip with the FJCruiser Trail Team. No time for pics yet, but what I can tell you is that those FJ's the trial team uses have about 30k miles... a lot of which are off-road (that's what they do... travel to wheel them with enthusiasts) and they've had no "maintenance" issues. Actually, nothing has broken either, and they've wheeled them harder in 30k miles than most hard core wheelers would in 100k.

I was VERY impressed, and I didn't start out that way when they were first released. Got to drive one through some pretty rough terrain, and they kept up with some very modified trucks.

I like em!
    Sounds like the FJ team members have a rough job. :shades:
    Oh yea... they seemed very stressed ;)

about what they would have to do when this gig was up maybe?
    These FJC Trail Team guys (may be some women out there too, just not in our group) are very good at what they do. If you ever get the opportunity to join them at an event, it's definitely something to look into.

They know their LC's... history and mechanics... know the FJC and know how to wheel them. Very enjoyable experience.
    I have asked my dealer about this bulletin and they know nothing about it...They say that this number makes no sense to them and they claim they have no info on this topic...Rick do you have any more details by chance in regard to the ID of this bulletin.

When I google that info I get the url for this post.

TIA
  • sahmsahm Member Posts: 7
    On most sites I've been hearing that alot of men own FJ's. This vehicle was originally made to appeal to younger guys. I read an article that said quote, "this is not your soccer moms SUV. Not so, I am a mom and I love it. If you have more than two kids to haul around it may pose a problem. I have one and it is perfect. This vehicle appeals to alot of women and not just the younger women. I am in my early 40's and never thought for a minute that this vehicle was too (young) for me. I can take this vehicle out on the town or to the symphony and get up and go camping and 4 wheelin the next day. I get compliments from men AND women everywhere I go. This vehicle is classy, sporty and unique. Pretty much like me. I am a classical pianist and private piano teacher but I also have my wild fun-loving side. This vehicle suits every mood of me. Alot of my friend who are my age love this vehicle and can not believe that the makers only thought it would appeal to 20 something guys. It appeals to all ages and sexes. You either love it or you hate it. Mine is black cherry with all the extras. The bright yellow and blue were fun but for my lifestyle the black cherry was more suitable. I have had some great vehicle but this one by far gets more looks and compliments. People tell me how good I look in it. I think any woman with a fun but classy side finds this car appealing. :)
  • sahmsahm Member Posts: 7
    what it the slight jumping when you apply the breaks about?
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    I'm looking into buying a FJ, but was curious about the ride, especially on the highway... any comments?

P.S. I currently drive a Jeep Unlimited, so anything should ride better than this on the highway.

Jeep/FJ
    I think it is pretty good at 45 PSI in the tires. Mine are rated at 51 psi max.

They had been at 35 and the ride was very smooth, but on Sunday I bumped them up to 45 psi. Today I drove 200 miles over in Alabama, (I am from Hotlanta) and while the ride was stiffer, I rather liked it.

Bottom line at 35 psi it rides like my Caddy...at 45 it rides like an SUV
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently went away from purchasing a Ford and decided on a Toyota, Honda or Nissan vehicle instead. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by 5:30 PM PT/8:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    When stopped at a light, my foot feels a 'pop/ping' feeling from the brake pedal sometimes. No sound, no other things going on, just that goofy sensation in my foot. I Should I take it in or is this normal? Thanks for putting up with my dumb questions!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may be sensing the activation of the solenoids that operate the brakes. Anyone else have this experience or know for sure?

tidester, host
    I notice this from time to time and I believe that is is the tranny shifting down into 1st gear and give the FJ a little bump that you can feel in the brake pedal
    That's definitely plausible - hard to tell from a written description of the symptoms.

tidester, host
    Thanks for the input. My husband thinks I am crazy but I swear I feel this when braking.
    I did get to laugh at him today b/c he seems to keep forgetting just how heavy the FJ is.The tires stopped before the truck did and it literally bounced to a stop! At least we know they work (maybe a little too well).

Hopefully I will see if anoyone else has felt my "pedal pop" thing. Worse case senario, I will just take it in to ease my mind!
    tidester! I drove it by the dealership and it is the solenoids! I was kinda suprised b/c it also happens when at a complete stop but they said it was due to the ABS system/solenoids sensor thing working (I am not a car person obviously!) I was happy to know all is well and that I am not crazy about feeling that in the break pedal! Thanks all for the help!
    Wonderful! I'm glad you found out what the problem is.

tidester, host
  • componentcomponent Member Posts: 7
    Sorry for the re-post. I think I originally put this message in the wrong place.
    BTW: This site's forum is a tad confusing; most forums have the latest comments at the top; this one's flipped. ah well... :blush:

So I'm interested in buying an FJ. I've contacted a dealer here in Indianapolis, and here's the response {after this}.

My question is -- about the salesperson's comment:
    "Like other specialty vehicles including the Prius. It is not discounted. Toyota value market priced them right from the factory. It is supposed to promote an easier and haggle free experience."

Is this typical sales hoo-ha?

Here's the whole chunk:
    I had to do some research on your question because internally we do not refer to the package combo's buy letter. I do have your answer on the difference in price between the two packages.

Package "A" on the 4x4 Automatic including carpet floor mats. ( they all have the mats) is 26979

Package "D" on the 4x4 Automatic including carpet floor mats is 28954

There is a Package "G' on the 4x4 automatic it has:
    CQ- convenience package
    GY- side and head curtain airbags
    RB- running boards
    UP- upgrade package #1
    CF- carpet floor mats
    The MSRP is 29554

The FJ Cruiser is a specialty vehicle. Like other specialty vehicles including the Prius. It is not discounted. Toyota value market priced them right from the factory. It is supposed to promote an easier and haggle free experience.
    Try Ron Copeland Toyota in Toledo...that is where I bought mine and I am from Atlanta....
    Anytime you are willing to pay what they ask... it's "haggle free". I prefer to haggle... or shop around.
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    FYI, I just got a call from a Sales Rep here in Tampa... trying to get me back in the door to sell me something. He said they're discounting there's $600 off sticker. Given he told me that over the phone tell ya that he's wanting to moving some, and will consider an offer.
    That's when the fun starts. Get someone else to offer the same thing over email or phone. Tell them you'll be looking to buy in a week and will go to the dealership that offers the best deal between now and then. They just want you in the door.

When you get there, that's when the negotiations really begin. Be prepared to walk out a couple of times. When they don't follow you, you are at their lowest price.

Gotta love the internet.

(Things have changed from March when most of the dealers were charging $3 -$5k over invoice)

Good luck!