Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    outdoorguyoutdoorguy Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a mid-size 4x4 and a small commuter car. I'd love to buy an xB and an FJ but won't buy either without a sunroof. I think Toyota is really missing the boat by not offering sunroofs on either of these two great cars. I have a 98 Isuzu Trooper 4x4 with a huge sunroof that goes halfway to the back seats. It has 150K miles and has been bullet-proof. Looks like I''ll pickup a 2002 4x4 Trooper w/ sunroof (last year they made 'em) or a 4-Runner 4x4 w/ sunroof to replace it....
  • Options
    callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    And I agree, the blind spot could hide a Cadillac DTS!

DrFill
  • Options
    coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    For the life of me I don;t understand why you keep posting here if all you do is complain about this FJ. I am sincerely curious. I have looked at your previous postings and now I'm more perplexed than ever. Why such fixation ?
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    started this thread to complain that Toyota has decided to build a new truck instead of a new Supra. Then the hosts played a trick and changed the thread's name on him. But being the originator of the thread, he has to post his displeasure once in a while! :-P

I wouldn't assume that we know every last finalized detail of FJ yet. For instance, if Toyota has no plans for the roof, like a standard roof rack or something, it is quite possible we will see an optional moonroof. After all, they have said they will make some other "upscale" equipment available as options on the FJ.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Jes, I just vent on occassion, to spice things up.

Actually, the FJ is starting to grow on me.

Like Hepatitis. :P

Like the song says, it's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

DrFill
  • Options
    tacojefftacojeff Member Posts: 5
    I'm hoping the aftermarket steps up and offers a roof rack that two can sleep on much like I've
    seen on some defender 90's. A hearty front bumper is a must. Very much looking forward to this
    vehicle and I agree with bpraxis in that it should trounce the H3 and it's 5 cylinder 220hp engine.
  • Options
    yes, that IS what the song says! :-)

It is just nice to know that Toyota has not totally forgotten that once upon a time it built fairly basic and very rugged 4x4s for riding the trail or even blazing a new one, that is all. Everything they have now is way too big and upscale for a trail rider. The FJ should change that, I hope. (still crossing my fingers that we don't see major changes from the concept, and that there are fairly basic versions available)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    vgvandervgvander Member Posts: 8
    I hope Toyota does make modifications to that B pillar area near the rear of the vehicle. After having browsed several forums on the FJ, I recently heard an automotive engineer indicate that it would be the worst blind spot in the vehicle industry if it went into actual production. I'm guessing that in the actual production model, Toyota will probably lengthen and stretch that second window near the suicide doors and have it align with the rear windows. I'm am also going to predict that we will probably not see the moonroof this year, similar to when the new Tacoma came out. This will be an aftermarket option. But in its second year as Toyota will probably include it as an option and start blending in some of the design cues from its 4 Runner.
  • Options
    jayhoodjayhood Member Posts: 2
    All the standard words about the FJ say "4WD", but that term often includes the AWD category. (Sometimes 4WD is used to mean part-time with a multi-speed transfercase, sometimes, just part-time, and sometimes anything that powers all 4 wheels, including AWD.)

Does anyone have specific information as to whether it is part-time (like the Tacoma) or full time (like the 4Runner)? In other words, will it have a center differential?

I even asked my local dealer that question. The answer: don't know, we get our information off of the web, too.
  • Options
    I thought the Tacoma 4x4 and V-6 4Runner 4x4 used the same 4WD system? I am sure that is the one that will go in the FJ.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that only the V-8 4Runner is full-time 4WD.

• Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    The Tacoma and V6 4Runner do not share the same 4wd system. The 4-runner has a torsen center differential even on the V6 models although they do let you choose RWD vs. 4wd. In 4wd, the V6's 4wd system is identical to the V8 model's. The Tacoma uses a standard transfer case which you cannot (or should not) use on dry pavement or situations where there isn't wheel slippage so that you don't bind up the drive axles. From what I hear, they are most likely going to use a standard trasfer case on the FJ for cost cutting purposes (estimates are that the torsen runs about $2,000) but they haven't ruled out the torsen as a posibility. Hope this clarifys the difference.
  • Options
    mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    The titanium sounds good to me, but the others...hmm...I don't know. I hope Toyota expands the selection and includes a more conventional dark blue, silver and maybe a dark green. The vehicle is pretty unconventional to begin with. I don't think a bunch of cartoon colors are necessarily a good idea. Nonetheless, I am really looking forward to seeing a near production vehicle, as well as the interior, representative of exactly what will be sold.
  • Options
    bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope you had a great weekend.

The new Honda Civic will have a contrasting paint scheme with the hood being a different color than the car. The Mini Cooper seems to have kicked off this trend followed by the FJ Cruiser.

This was very popular decades ago and seems to be entering a revival now.

Does anyone know when the FJs will hit the showrooms? Toyota has a wonderful tendencey to underpromise and over deliver so I am hoping to see some on the ground at the end of 2006. Unless I see something else that really exites me I will buy this vehicle. How can you surpass the proven components of the 4 Runner?

Cheers
  • Options
    But I can't have you mislead the people.

The Si hood and body will be the same color. The paint scheme at SEMA for the Si Concept was just that, a concept, for that show's crowd only. Just as the fog lights will not be green, and the spoiler will not come off a Funny Car.

DrFill
  • Options
    I saw an interview with Automobile magazine on Speed Channel that confirms my prior comments.

Of course I could be wrong but please take two aspirin and call me in the morning Dr. And remember the copay.
  • Options
    fj07fj07 Member Posts: 89
    Newbie here, and I was wondering if lift kits for 4Runners would be similar for this vehicle since it is a hacked off version. I guess I am trying to figure out what company is going to be the first to make a lift for this bad boy!
  • Options
    So you're saying a Honda rep said on camera that the 2006 Si will have a black hood standard?

That would be a first! Honda likes to go their own way. And A FEW tuners like to use the black hood for performance cars, but I'm sure that would turn off more buyers than it would turn on!

That should an accessorie, at best. Trying to be young and hip again is good, but that's not a direction I would take it.

I'd like more information on what you heard. It's gotta be online somewhere.

DrFill
  • Options
    chiefjojo74chiefjojo74 Member Posts: 14
    "In addition to its 9.6 inches of ground clearance, the FJ Cruiser will offer an optional rear locking differential and four-wheel traction control on 4x4 models."

To me this statement means that the FJ will use the ATRAC full-time system (w/ center diff) on the 4Runner, Sequoia, TLC, etc. The Tundra and Tacoma both use part-time systems and I believe they are simple open diff systems with no center diff or traction control.
  • Options
    Toyota has a policy for all SUVs 2005 MYand up to have the "star system", which includes traction and stability control, as well as ABS. Since the FJ will be an SUV, I am assuming these items will be standard on FJ as well.

Note that even though all Toyota SUVs have these items of equipment now (including the little RAV4, with nothing more than a viscous center coupling for an AWD system), not all 4WD models have the same type of 4x4 system, so to extrapolate that the inclusion of traction control means that FJ will have the Sequoia and 4Runner's 4x4 system may be erroneous.

• Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    The Cruiser was shown with two winches (inside front and back bumpers) during the Pacific Intl Autoshow in Vancouver BC in April. Two winches from the factory would be sweet!

And they better not skip on the axles, which I've read would be Dana 44s

This truck looks great, except the taillights, which stick out on the sides
  • Options
    coffeeguycoffeeguy Member Posts: 2
    Old Man EMU Makes a spring lift for the 4Runner, I have their lift on my Pathfinder and I am very happy with it. I would bet that they will have a kit available, they will probably only offer about a 2" lift but the stock tires are 31.6" tall so I would be that you could do at least 33's without having to cut up a brand new truck. With a little luck Toyota will offer 33's stock as part of the TRD package, if thats the case there would be little need to do anything to the truck except maybe a set of rock sliders and beefed up skid plates.
  • Options
    Yeah, I can't wait to here what the TRD package will intell.
  • Options
    vgvandervgvander Member Posts: 8
    I stumbled across this article tonight regarding Toyota raising its prices in an effort to help out the American auto industry, most notably GM whose recent credit rating was downgraded to junk bond status. Toyota and GM are by the way working in a partnership to develop hydrogen fuel cell technology as the next generation fuel alternative. Here is the link to Toyota's announcement regarding it pricing plans. link title. I wonder if and how the FJ may be affected when its expected to be due this February?
  • Options
    goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    "Honda Motor Co. has ruled out price hikes to help ailing U.S. auto makers, saying such increases could be considered price manipulation under U.S. anti-trust law. Okuda, however, said auto makers can raise prices when they introduce new versions."

Great.

I saw that story on the news last night too. Sounds like there's a good chance the surprisingly low priced FJ is gonna end up being the unsurprisingly mid priced FJ once it arrives.
  • Options
    abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    If Toyota raises their prices, they are certainly going to do that in order to help GM or Ford. :lemon: They will do so to increase their own profits! However, there is no assurance that other automakers will follow and then the MSRP is completely meaningless and incentives will have to be cranked up in order to correct for the overpricing. Why do 4Runners have had rebates for umpteen months in a row? :confuse:

What GM needs is a set of better products that would allow it to hold its market share! Toyota is one of the firms that has been taking that market share away by producing better vehicles at lower cost. Somehow I cannot see Toyota trying to produce overpriced crap just to "help out" GM. :P
  • Options
    I mean, if you are busting out double-digit sales gains for years, raising prices makes sense.

Outside of the obvious patronizing deference to our lack of business accumen :P (sic), I mean, health-care induced market disadvantage :surprise: , the fact that 'Yoda sales are so high means they need to adjust their prices accordingly.

This truck may START at $25k.

Does that Supra look better now?

DrFill
  • Options
    price it above a comparably equipped Tacoma, they will lose many of the buyers to the Tacoma, not to mention it will then be in XTerra price territory, which actually has the four doors to go with the four seats, in addition to the 4WD hardware.

• Options
    cvscvs Member Posts: 1
    Wow!...I was looking forward to the new Hummer H3 to come around. I went and looked at one this past weekend and for the most part, all are sold before even getting to the dealership. I do love everything about the Hummer H3. Then I found a link to the future Toyota FJ Cruiser, Wow again! I really like this too. We are now on our 3rd Toyota 4-Runner and are ready to pass this one down in the family. Now here is my quandary. Do I wait and get a better look at this FJ Cruiser or go with the H-3 in about 2 more months, giving the newness time to settle down a bit. Seems to me both are awesome trucks. The pricing seems to be close. I am looking for some feedback on the pros and con's of making a choice between the two. Any input that you can give would be much appreciated. Wish I could afford to get both. Thank you in advance. :confuse:
  • Options
    Well from what I have read about the two the H3 has less Horse Power and weighs more. That may not be important to you but the fact taht you will be driving an H3 with cheesy crome plated items (Typical of GM) and be in a pricey soccer mom mobile that should steer you to a reliable, tough value holding Toyo.... C'mon you have owned three as you said. I can't wait to dump my GM! and will never own another.
  • Options
    sik99sik99 Member Posts: 23
    I suppose it would depend on what you want out of your new vehicle. I assume that toyota is making the FJ to be a good offroader. Even if the H3 can handle itself off pavement, I don't think it'll be quite as good in that department. Expect the FJ will be around 17-21 mpg(same 4.0liter V6 in the new 4Runners?)...if not more. The H3 is expected to get 16-19mpg. Even if toyota raises its prices the FJ will still be priced lower than the H3. Not to mention the reliability of toyota products overall compared to other brands.

However, the H3 does have 4 doors. Might be a better choice as a family hauler.

Then again..i'm Pro-Toyota :)

-SiK99
  • Options
    Want more weight, or less?

Want GM or 'Yoda?

Want 4-doors or 2?

Want sub-$30k or over $30k?

I wish my life decisions were this easy.

DrFill
  • Options
    according to some articles I've read. It's unclear how FJ would fare off-road, as we still don't know much except the ground clearance and wheelbase compared to 4Runner.

H3 also got some praise for a quality (gasp) interior! GM finally figured out that people really do care what it looks and feels like inside the vehicle.

But I5 is way too weak to move H3, so FJ would be much quicker on the pavement. Off-road, however, this won't be as obvious, as people tend to take it slow when the road ends
  • Options
    The FJ is a two door SUV in a Brand that already is overloaded with SUV/Trucks. Toyota HAS to make the FJ a competent offroader or its a useless vehicle that doesn't fill any category. I'd be very shocked if it didn't at least handle as good offroad as the pre-2003 4runners. Since the redesign, the 4Runner lost some of its Off-road roots in favour of a more comfy ride.

-SiK99
  • Options
    You can say that again!

Early reviews of the H3 are saying stuff that is not that surprising: this vehicle struggles at highway speeds, and can't make a fast getaway from a stop, say from a parking lot onto a busy boulevard. Not to mention, it will probably cost a good $5K more than the FJ, and that is with the "new" lower-rebate GM pricing scheme just announced. (base MSRP $30K for H3 including freight).

The low power is the kind of trouble my 15 year old 4Runner has, and I certainly won't be buying a new truck that still has that problem, not with the price of trucks these days. I do hope the FJ is everything offroad that the new 4Runner failed to be.

• Options
    abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    Toyota pricing is not going in an upward direction because GM is going drop its list prices: CNN story. This has been long in coming! We may finally see MSRP prices that are not thousands away from market prices....
  • Options
    GM was basically scaring many potential buyers with their high MSRPs. Quite a few people feel uncomfortable negotiating a lower price. They figure they'd rather get a better vehicle from some other brand, for pretty much the same money. But if the price difference is substantial, then some people would give GM a chance
  • Options
    of the concept car's interior make me think there is no way it will look anything like this when it finally arrives. But I would love to be proved wrong on that count. I like it the way it is.

I agree on the seats though - would you want to take a long trip on one of those? It looks like what they strap death row inmates to right before The End.

• Options
    That's the first time I noticed the overhead lights. I LIKEY!!!!!
  • Options
    goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    It looks like the flat board on the back of the seats is made so that they can all be flipped forward and create a flat floor from the tailgate to the dash. Sounds good for car camping, but it probably necessitated some pretty thin seats to get the job done. Looks like they are still fleshing that out. Are the things on the ceiling interior lights or speakers? I know they look small to be speakers, but didn't I hear they were working on incorporating the speakers into the roof liner or something?
  • Options
    Hello everyone and the obvious quality that these two vehicles have in common is their fun distinctive styling, I personally like both in terms of styling. Hummer is in the process of building their own stand alone dealerships and I live near one of the largest Hummer dealerships here in Orlando Florida..

We all know that GM is in financial trouble and Toyota is the cream of the crop in financial strength.

Jeep could not sell their products as a stand alone entity so what makes Hummer think that they can do it. Jeep has a much broader appeal than Hummer, more affordable practible vehicles with a storied past.

My prediction is that 10 years from now if GM still exists it will have divested itself from Hummer as a money losing operation. Sales have declined 30% this year for the H2.

On the plus side for Hummer they have extended the factory warranty to 50,000 miles thanks to competiton and the new dealerships are quite nice, a luxury feel with all the goodies.

I would definately wait and buy the Toyota over the Hummer, this is no contest in my opinion.

Toyota is the strongest auto company in the world building the best quality product and resale value.

The FJ is a styling grand slam home run, cant wait to see the finished interior. You will have a proven chasis, engine and drive train with ample power. I would guess that the 0-60 time will be in the 7 second range.

The price and gas milage will be superior to the Hummer.

Never ever ever ever ever buy a first year GM product if you must. They never seem to get in right in the first years and sometimes for the whole product cycle. And yes I have owned GM products and more recently nothing but Japanese, a Toyota and Infiniti.
  • Options
    Don't forget Toyota's first year blunder with the T100. I hope this Fj doesn't have the same problem. I doubt it will especially since it is not a completely new vehicle platform.
  • Options
    I am pretty sure they are lights but I do recall that they were going to try some kind of ceiling speaker system.
  • Options
    gringo1gringo1 Member Posts: 72
    Boy there sure are a lot of opinionated authorities on this list badmouthing the H3, and I'll wager most of you have not sat in an H3 nor have you driven one, maybe not even seen one.

Talk about prejudice!

I suggest you change out of your toyota skivvies and put on a fresh pair of neutral undies and go test drive an H3.

The interior is flawless and handsome and has the feel of a $50k SUV.

The stance is formidable and high.

The sound system includes a subwoofer and puts out superb sound.

It will be a JEEP killer hands down.

Anyone who can't fit in a 4Runner because the windshield slants back to within 6 inches of your forehead will feel like he's in the cockpit of a 747 (H3) compared to a Cessna (4Runner).

The windshield is vertical like the FJ promises, and is a full two feet from the driver's head. A person feels like he's in a vehicle that is commodious, not one shaped for sardines.

All passengers will feel relaxed and full of personal space. The backseat gives great passenger room. Ingress and egress in and out of the backseat is not so good.

The one main drawback is the 5 cylinder engine which is fine unless you are going uphill, and then you have to drop a gear to 3 from D. In fact the 5 cylinder has consistent power throughout the bands.

I say don't knock the H3 except for the engine, and if your amount of steep mountain driving is limited, the 5 cylinder should do fine.

Last but not least, Hummer beat the Toyota FJ to the market by a year.

Give credit where it's due.

(And this is from someone who is a Toyota fan, and NOT a lover of GM)
  • Options
    has about the same torque-to-weight ratio as my 15 year old 4Runner, and a slightly better ratio for hp. On the steep slog up from the coast to Donner Summit at 8000 feet where I ski, the Runner struggles even in fourth gear (5 speed) on some stretches. I love my old truck, but when it quits I am not going to settle for this same power level again.

FJ will have a whopping 63% more power than my truck does now. At about the same weight, or a little more. And a six speed, instead of the five I have now.

Now, of course, I have no trouble fitting inside any of these trucks, so my perspective there is not influenced one way or another. But the H3 will cost a good $5K more than a comparably equipped FJ, I am guessing, and what would I be getting for my money? Of course, Toyota may yet supply an unpleasant surprise on the price count.

• Options
    As you can see from my moniker, I used to own a GM vehicle, and it brought me many thousands of miles of automotive joy. I was disappointed, however, with the lousy service at several GM dealerships in Greater Vancouver, after I brought the car for repairs. They charge close to $100 CAD ($80 USD) an hour for just labour, and can't fix rather simple things!

Their attitude is in need of a major adjustment as well. You'd think, with GM losing market share faster than a professional boxer losing his IQ, the dealers would treat customers like gold. Dream on...

Perhaps, Toyota dealers are even worse, but I guess I'd have to buy a Toyota to find out ;)

But as far as H3, let's give GM props. The more competition, the better. The more people would buy H3, the fewer would buy FJ, the more incentive for Toy dealers to actually make deals
  • Options
    arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    Don't forget Toyota's first year blunder with the T100.

Which blunder are you referring to; the small V-6 or not offering an extra-cab version in 1993.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's stick to the Toyota FJ Cruiser, please. Plenty of existing topics about GM.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    No offence but there hasn't been much of any new info on the FJ. Helping someone weigh the pros and cons of an FJ compared to an H3 isn't really straying off topic. An all out massive back and forth debate would be one thing but again, we are just trying to give some opinions.

-SiK99
  • Options
    chiefjojo74chiefjojo74 Member Posts: 14
    Off-road ability was the hallmark of the original FJ and the 2007 version won't be any different. In addition to its 9.6 inches of ground clearance, the FJ Cruiser will offer an optional rear locking differential and four-wheel traction control on 4x4 models. "We considered the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon the benchmark for the FJ's off-road performance," said Kim.

Does this seem ralistic to think the FJ could match the Rubi? Maybe the Unlimited Rubi, but the new FJ seems to be a mix betw, the Rubi and the XTerra/H3. I hope that they offer a TRD offroad pkg w/ 33" tires and a bit more ground clearance, oh, and bring it back with the Land Cruiser name. ;)