Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    but even Rubicon only comes with 31" tires, right? I am sure the FJ will come with at least 31"ers. If not, that is seriously weak on Toyota's part after all the hype. I think the FJ can match Rubicon's offroad performance, but what I fear is that to do so, you will have to buy an optional offroad package for it that will make it very pricey. Where does Rubicon come in for price?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• sik99sik99 Member Posts: 23
    Base MSRP for a Rubi is around $28, 125, with the unlimited Rubi being about a grand more.
  • fj07fj07 Member Posts: 89
    Both, and if you look at today's truck with 4 doors not even offering an Ex-Cab was a blunder. I just think overall it was a half [non-permissible content removed] effort to move into the large truck scene. They were banking on people just accepting it because toyot trucks had such a good name. But they sure have made up for it the last few years and I hope that they keep that up with this FJ. I just hope I can afford it and personally don't see it being higher priced than a Rubicon so I think I will be alright.
    comes standard with stuff that will probably have to be added to the FJ, like locking diff. Still, I bet the FJ comes in a couple thou cheaper (sticker) than a comparably equipped Rubicon. Heads up Jeep, there's some new competition in town! :-P

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    I think FJ would have a locker in the back. It's nearly a must for serious off-roading. And if a winch would be supplied with an off-road package, FJ would be ahead of Rubicon, which doesn't come with a winch. And if there's also a winch in the back...

But, to be fair, it's unlikely FJ would match Rubicon in off-roadidness, since Rubicon has many various parts and enhancements specifically for off-roading. At the same time, if you don't plan on doing mind-boggling rock crawling, which Rubicon is capable of, FJ would probably be more than enough.
  • coffeeguycoffeeguy Member Posts: 2
    Lets not forget there will be a new Wrangler the TK comming out sometime in 06 as an 07 model. I like the H3, between the X-terra, FJ and the TK it will be a hard decision. I'm definetly replacing my Pathfinder with one of them next spring.
  • chiefjojo74chiefjojo74 Member Posts: 14
    between the X-terra, FJ and the TK it will be a hard decision.

One factor is that the FJ and X are IFS and the TK is solid front axle, whic is better for off-roading. For me that's not enough to go with the Jeep, as neither it nor the X can match Toyota's durability. If I ever sell my 4R, I'll have to look at the FJ.
    Don't get stuck on the solid axel. Petersons 4x4 mag had a huge article a couple months ago about how IFS is not bad. So don't let that issue keep you away. It doesn't seem like it bothers you but if it bothers anyone else out there take a closer look.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I just couldn't buy an H3, after the H2, which I think is a bloated monstrosity and ruined the Hummer name. A quick google search will turn up videos of H2s stuck in and on things a skateboard could conquer. In any event, anybody turned up ANY new news about the FJ or pics?
    H2 is very heavy, thus it would get stuck more easily than a lighter vehicle in, say, deep mud. I would imagine H3 would go to many places where H2 would not be able to go, because H3 would be smaller, lighter, and more nimble.

The same goes for FJ. It would go where 4Runner wouldn't, because FJ would have better approach/departure/breakover angles, and a smaller size.

Where it helps driving a bigger vehicle is when you need its ground clearance for crossing streams, or overcoming other obstacles, where ground clearance may be the difference between going forward or turning back.
  • fatman1fatman1 Member Posts: 2
    Disclaimer - I used to own a '72 FJ40 and own a '94 LC now, so you know where I'm coming from.

Overall I like the new version - I think they did a pretty good job staying true to the original, at least in terms of the looks. But are they going to keep that huge grab bar in front of the steering wheel? It looks like something out of the Jetsons!

Sad to see Toyota folks seeking to match off-road capability of a Jeep product. There was a time when no jeep could come close to mathcing an FJ off-road (my flame suit is on!).

Like some others, I'd love to see Toyota bring in their more utilitarian vehicle. I saw some in Africa and they are unstoppable. Will probably never happen unfortunately.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Imagine I'll be in one eventually.
    Don't be upset with the fact that Toyota is trying to match Jeep in off-road capability. After all, Jeep is pretty much an exclusively off-road make, while Toyota has not been so narrowly focused. FJ may not match Rubicon for those who want to take their vehicle to the extreme, but Toyota's refinement and reliability should be strong factors in FJ's competition with Rubicon

I do agree that something very utilitarian would be nice to have, like a truck with no A/C, only a manual tranny, totally removable doors/roof/windshield and priced under 17K. Hmmmmm, sounds like a basic Jeep to me :)
  • fatman1fatman1 Member Posts: 2
    The FJ40 v. Jeep debate is a black hole, which I will avoid. :)

The LC78 I'm thinking of has a long wheel base (and the snorkel comes standard!).
    While I love the FJ concept, I hope Toyota is planning a soft or removable hard top version in 2007 or so... if not I think they are missing the boat on a huge opportunity. It would offer a more spacious, technically capable, powerful, reliable, and equally fun competitor to the Wrangler Unlimited. I believe they could sell 30-40k of that version alone if they were to make one.
    While I wish Toyota released more info, we should keep the discussion moving along here... Happy 4th weekend!
    The two dates I've read about so far are Feb of 06 (most sites) or Nov 06 (one or two sites). Any definite news, anyone?
  • zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    23K for the FJ Cruiser?Well maybe for the 2wd version.Always liked the old FJs and might even sell my 03 Matrix to get one of these.But I remember the car mags projecting the new MR2 Spider going for around 18K and they were nowhere near that price!I'm guessing 25-26 for a 4wd version and 28k fully loaded.Toyota's are a lot of things,but they ain't cheap! Oh and if it's supposed to come out in Feb 06,figure mid March early April before most dealers have more than just a demo.Figure on paying MSRP unless you're related to someone at the dealership.Best to wait for 2007,if you want to get a deal below retail.
  • rdeweyktrdeweykt Member Posts: 6
    The FJ Cruiser is now scheduled for release in Feb. 2006. And for everyone out there trying to figure out what it is - the FJ is a 4Runner with a smaller body which is also a LandCruiser with a smaller body. The FJ will have the 4Runner engine and the shared frame of 4Runner and LandCruiser. Pricing will be set between 25k to 30k.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Mostly correct, but the FJ is supposed to be built on the Tacoma Platform (also shared with the 4-Runner) LC is a totally different platform altogether and dedicated to that model. Also keep in mind platform doesn't mean shared framing members. Engine, Transmission, possibly transfer case/differential, some other components, but we'll have to see as it gets closer to Feb. which is the scheduled launch date.

Toyota Ken
    Yesterday I heard a current toyota radio spot and they had a testimonial from a FJ40 owner who has over 200,000 miles on his truck and how he takes it rock crawling. Then they went into the toughness and reliability of Toyota and how you can now get a Rav4 or a Highlander today. Can't imagine how you can put those vehicle in the category of an FJ but I just see it as a way of bringing up the FJ name to the general not in the know public.
    can you imagine trying to take the flyweight RAV ANYWHERE off road? LOL

The RAV is the right size for me, but it is just a high-roofed Corolla, so there will not be one in my driveway any time soon.

toyotaken: my bet is that Toyota takes the whole powertrain straight out of the V-6 Tacoma for the FJ. Which is a good thing.

Nippon,

I am guessing the same thing, if for no other reason than cost effectiveness and it's a proven drivetrain at this point. We only have a couple more months to wait before we know for sure though. :)

Ken
    those are going to be some LOOONG months!

• marketablemarketable Member Posts: 9
    I can't wait anymore! When will they release the final interior or price? Does anybody know? I went to a dealership to ask if I can leave a deposit and they told me no, can you believe it!? I can't wait to have a black cherry colored one to match my boat.
    Unfortunatley for all of us, Toyota has a long reputation for not releasing information until the actual roll out of the vehicle. So don't expect much from Toyota until a month or so before launch, but if I do get info, I'll post it here.

Ken
    I have heard the name of the colors but I would like to see them in a photo or sample or something....
  • jeffholmesjeffholmes Member Posts: 1
    I posted this to the discussion board at www.hybridcars.com, in a thread titled "Hybrid 4x4/Off-Road Vehicle?". Thought it might be of some interest here:

"This topic has a lot in common with later posts in the "Hybrids are ugly" thread (early July 05), which ask why manufacturers aren't designing hybrids to target youth markets and first-time buyers.

One of the best examples is the upcoming 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser (non-hybrid, due in early 2006), a "reissue" of the classic off-road vehicle of the 1950s-1980s. In their press release, Toyota clearly states that they're targeting young/first-time buyers who love the outdoors. Yet hybrid technology is not an option and, according to some trades, not planned for the next several years.

Young? Outdoors? No two words scream "hybrid" any louder. The conservation ethic of today's youth dwarfs that of previous generations- especially true when you look at kids who love canoeing, hiking, rock climbing, and on and on. And yet auto makers continue to design and price hybrids for the white collar, over-30 crowd.

I've been on a waiting list for a non-limited Highlander Hybrid for several months, but after an agonizing wait, further research, and some serious soul-searching, I'm moving to Plan B: I can buy a Prius and 2/3 of an FJ Cruiser for the price of one Highlander Hybrid, assuming I can make it till early 2006 without a 4WD. The Prius will be our everyday, around-town vehicle and the FJ will be the "mobile field lab" for my biodiversity consulting work.

It's a disappointing compromise, but until the auto makers see the link between 4WD, outdoors, young buyers, and alternative energy technology, I'll have to settle for one Hybrid and one 20-mpg workhorse."

In other words, I LOVE the FJ concept and can't wait to own one. I just wish they'd make it in a hybrid.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Hybrids suck off road. The batteries and the hybrid drive are too sensitive to be banged around on rocks. In the future it may happen, but not now.

I agree about your statements about who the automakers are pricing the hybrids for. The only reason I haven't looked into one is that I'm still under 30 and none of them are hip enough for me. (does hip still mean what it used to?) ;)
  • marketablemarketable Member Posts: 9
    Thanks KEN please do post if you hear anything.
    Eventually. That's the plan. As far as hybrid parts' vulnerability off-road, I'm sure some very tough skid plates would solve this problem. Besides, what hybrid parts are close to the surface except for (possibly) regenerative braking parts? And just think how much further you can go off-road in a hybrid vehicle, with its substantially improved gas mileage.

As for RAV4, I've read a review of this car where the automotive journalist said that AWD RAV4 is much tougher off-road than many people think, but Toyota doesn't like to advertise this fact, perhaps in order not to hurt "real" truck sales
    The other thing to keep in mind for off-road use, is that the electric motors have 100% of their Torque available at 0 RMP's. So for real rock crawling, this would be a great asset. Can you imagine the "crawler gear" setup with a hybrid Truck with an electric motor the size of your wheel rim? Imagine the torque on your arm coming from a normal cordless drill multiplied x1000 for example. I think it's still a bit off as most of the hybrid development that Toyota and Honda have done have been on "car based" applications with the focus on transverse engines and front-drive bias, but I don't think we're far off from the Trucks being a beneficiary very soon.

Ken
  • vgvandervgvander Member Posts: 8
    I can't agree anymore. In everything that I have read, Toyota has ambitious plans in the next ten years to develop hybrid technology into most of their trucks and suvs. This is in hopes of increasing their fuel efficiency and attracting more buyers allowing them to take up a good position in the truck/suv market. If I recall correctly, Toyota had planned on putting some of this hybrid technology in their new and upcoming FTX Concept Truck which is their new replacement for the Tundra. If it actually happens, I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if we some of this hybrid technology being incorporated in the FJ within the next 5-10 years. Toyota has learned a lot from its success of its Prius.
    With the FJ having an expected launch date of Feb 2006, guess what is coming out January 6-15th of 2006? You guessed it the 2006 Los Angeles and North Atlantic International Auto Show in Detroit (NAIAS). Guess who is going to be sitting behind the wheel of the FJ, adjusting the seats and checking out the lumbar support and dash.... ME!!!
    For those of you that can't make it then, I would try and post some photos, but I'm sure EDMUNDS will beat me to it.
    I like playing poker and in about 6 months from now, Toyota will have to show us some of its cards... Take care.
    There's no question they're going to be implementing the Hybrid tech. in their trucks going forward. I've actually heard from some of the engineers from Toyota that they have a prototype of the Hybrid powertrain in a Tundra that just looks like a normal tundra. What they're playing with, from what I've heard is the size and position of the fuel tank. As there isn't a rear drive-shaft needed, they're playing with the idea of a 50+ gallon capacity. 50 gallons x 30mpg potentially gives you 1,500 miles on a fillup. It's just a question as to when they can get the capacity to build them. They're trying to get the infrastructure to build as many hybrids as possible, but I'm hearing it takes about 2 years to overhaul an existing assembly line including planning to do so. Plus the parts needed for the electric motors and batteries are in short supply.

I'm sure we'll be seeing more of these and sooner than we expect, but the whole Hybrid craze has taken a VERY conservative company like Toyota by surprise.

Ken
    "As for RAV4, I've read a review of this car where the automotive journalist said that AWD RAV4 is much tougher off-road than many people think, but Toyota doesn't like to advertise this fact, perhaps in order not to hurt "real" truck sales"

I have my doubts, but even if this is true, the RAV has that pogo stick "sport" suspension - that wouldn't be any fun AT ALL as soon as you got a few yards from the pavement.

I will deffinately be there but so far the FJ is not on the list to Debut.
    http://www.laautoshow.com/2005/debuts.aspx Maybe they consider last year the debut of it?
    Yeah, for sure, that would be no fun. But if, for example, you are escaping a forest fire or something, it's good to know your RAV4 can climb over boulders with the best of them ;)
    but RAV4 can NOT climb over boulders with the best of them. Anything bigger than a small rock should probably be avoided with infinite care in a RAV. Have you ever looked under there? All low-hanging suspension parts, made out of tiny little steel stampings - they look so fragile.

fj07: all the details escape me, but I do remember the FJ is supposed to debut at an earlier show, sometime this fall. LA is not until January, right? They are hoping to have them at dealers in February or March. You will also notice a striking DEARTH of Toyota and Honda vehicles on that list - both keep things close to the chest, including models they plan to debut.

I checked that website prior to my posting, it is out of date and only lists the 2005 model year. What where looking for is the 2006 LA Auto Show and I expect that their website should updated sometime in late November to reflect those vehicles that are coming out in 2006. Also, I would expect the FJ Cruiser to be there. With news channels and major auto magazines being there, Toyota knows that it will it save huge money in advertisement costs, while at the same time achieving almost worldwide exposure.
    Yeah, I am sure it will be at the show and I will be there to check it out. And if I don't end up liking it I will roll my deposit on over to a new crew cab Tacoma. I could live with that.
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    SUV space is getting very crowded particularly at Toyota that has more SUVs than any other brand. FJ will be tightly squeezed between the 4Runner and RAV4 and thus FJ will not be able to maintain it price anywhere close to its MSRP for any significant time but that will not stop the dealers from trying to tell you otherwise :P Frankly, FJ MSRP will probably be pretty close to the market/selling pricing for the 4Runners that currently (and in the future will) sell for $1-2k under invoice. Obviously, the first few units will fetch prices that are obscene but the price should stabilize to similar discounts as is currently seen on the 4Runner with which FJ shares the platform and many drive terrain features. Look at the Taco that is already starting to sell below invoice... ;)

IMHO: Do not put a deposit unless you want to be one of those first few suckers!
  • bowmar9bowmar9 Member Posts: 10
    One of the articles that I read a few months ago indicated that author anticipated getting to drive the FJ Cruiser this summer. Anybody seen any recent articles that suggest that these drives have taken place?
    I can't do anything but agree. The new Tacoma crew cab would be the next best thing and I will be right behind ya at the dealership if the FJ doesn't pan out.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "The new Tacoma crew cab would be the next best thing and I will be right behind ya at the dealership if the FJ doesn't pan out."

Well that's a heckuva way to hold Toyota's feet to the fire......

I can just see the project meetings: "Geez, we better do this right or potential customers will buy one of our other products instead!"
    Chhhyeah, like those head honchos listen to anybody!!
    Well they will still sell pleanty of 2 wheel Fj's for the posers but they sure will have a lot of 4x4 TRD package Fj's on the lot. And I can't help it that they did such a kick [non-permissible content removed] job with the Taco!!!
    Hay has anyone else signed up to get more information about the FJ on the Toyota site? http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/fj_cruiser/index.html It's at the bottom in the midle. I have signed up twice over the last 2 months and have yet to receive an e-mail. Just wondering if anyone else has received an e-mail.
    Likely, we won't hear much until the summer is over
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I signed up too. Nothing.

By the way, anybody test drove the new Xterra? Would you ever consider it over the FJ? Toyota typically has the reliability edge, but the engine in the new xterra is no slouch and for better or worse, the vehicle is more conventional looking with 4 real doors etc. than the FJ. I still plan on waiting to see the final FJ product in any event.
    Huh, $23,450 base for the off-road is not bad. I think the FJ SHOULD fall in that same price range if they were smart. I do like the 4 real doors because I know when off-roading with my buddy in is split door Tundra therer is a lot of tweaking and if you open the door while in the middle of a move on the trail it is hard to get it closed because it no longer lines up. I would consider it and the four door tacoma.
    But is the Xtera on a frame or is it unibody? Don't know my Nissan's too well, I think the Pathfinders went away from the frame but not sure. No frame would keep me away I think.
    both on a frame this year (Pathfinder is back from being unibody the last few years).

The XTerra is the best competition for the FJ, and Toyota should keep it well in mind when setting prices. XTerras with the offroad package get up into the mid to high $20Ks, fairly steep on price. I would expect the FJ to come in lower being only a two-door instead of four, and being a more basic truck. If Toyota prices the FJ the same as the XTerra, it will lose a lot of sales there.