Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    The lower rear seat cushions pull up and hinge forward so the rear seatbacks can fold down flat. But the floor is configured so that the cargo compartment is lower than the seat area, so when the seats are folded flat, there is a definite ridge between the two.
  • 4rider4rider Member Posts: 96
    I really wish the new FJ can have a front solid axle. At least make it an option. That will really be the icing on the cake.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    No thank you. The IFS is more than enough for 90% of offroad situations and gives far better ride and steering on the street (where you'll spend 99% of the time).
  • 4rider4rider Member Posts: 96
    "The IFS is more than enough for 90% of offroad situations "

But it is the most difficult, 10%, of the terrian that really counts
  • 00120012 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for the good information. I like the idea of a black Cruiser, but a white top might make it look like a police Cruiser...Someone mentioned a "Moab Edition" which might be in all-black...that would be nice.
    It's good to know the driver's seat will go up and down. I don't plan on getting the optional displays (inclinometer, etc) that sit on top of the dash, but that might be something one will have to buy if one wants the vehicle. In that case, the vertical adjustment of the seat will help.
    Even though the searchlights on the outside mirrors would go along with the police Cruiser concept, I would prefer just plain mirrors.
    I feel this is going to be a great vehicle!
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Are you ever on that 10% of the terrain?

I'd guess that for 99% of the owners, they will never be on anything more challenging than a well-kept logging road.
  • fj07fj07 Member Posts: 89
    Getting stuck and towing eachother out is half the fun of off-roading! C'mon you always need an excuse for a beer break! Not that we drink and off-road or anything.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    Actually there is an auxiliary input, just not an iPod specific one.
    Since I couldn't make it this year I got my Dad into SEMA and had him check out the FJ for me. So he went Friday and sat in the front and set the seat where he would need it and then sat in the back and said his knees were brushing the back of the front seat. He said no way could you go on a long trip without a few stretch stops. Oh and he is a 5'-11" 185 lb guy. He also talked to a Toyota sales manager from a California dealer who was checking it out and he said that with only 4,100 units coming to Cali there will most likely be a mark-up putting the FJ at around 32K. And with what I am hearing on the Xtera board and people getting 05 Xtera's for 24,800 out the door for SE 4x4's I don't know how I could buy the FJ and how it could compete!
  • lou62lou62 Member Posts: 9
    Not good news....Toyota had better keep their eye on the ball and not mess the fj up
    in regards to pricing strategy. I'm comfortable paying 28K for a LOADED fj but 32K is out of the question. I can get a new forunner v6 loaded for less than that! I understand
    that the dealers will be at their usual games early on(witness the 05tacoma) but I'm
    going to stay on the fence for 8+mos and wait for the dust to settle and for the color
    Tan.
  • fjjrfjjr Member Posts: 12
    I think you might have to wait longer than 8 months to get Tan, I hope I'm wrong, but nothing mentions anything but the five specified colors.-----Maybe you are planning for the next year release?----Then it could happen!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Member Posts: 27
    I'm with you lou. Mid to upper 20's for a loaded FJ and I'm happy. Anymore than that and I'll get a Wrangler or stick with sports cars. I can get a 350z or a 325i or G35 in the low 30's.

All I really want is a Toyota Jeep with mileage in the low 20's instead of the mid teens.

BTW, those old 4-runners with the camper shell back and 4-cylinder engines were great vehicles. They ran forever and you couldn't get an owner to part with one.

Used car lots used them as eye candy.
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    In fact, even '05 G35x can be had for a hair under $30k and it might even be a better deal than the 4Runners which are hard to find with side air bag&curtains. It is certainly a better on-road vehicle than body-on-frame SUV but obviously it is not suitable for any off road duty. Furthermore, there is better value in vehicles like the Pilot which come with everything including leather for under $30k. 325 is probobably a bit less value but a bit more brand name... Other value choices would include one of the Turbo Subies: WRX wagon (lower $20s) or the Forester XT (mid 20s).

FJ is going to be in a very crowded price segment if they get into the the upper 20s but it could be a home run if it is priced in the lower 20s. I am pretty sure that the price will be under $25k once all the hoopla has worn off and supply is plentiful as it is on the 4Runners... Xterra arguably offers more because of the full rear doors and thus the FJ price will have to be inline with that!

My $0.02!
  • chiefjojo74chiefjojo74 Member Posts: 14
    I bet Toyota is betting on a lot of old LC owners who want the new version... the "heritage buyer," so to speak. Of course Toyota will get tons of press early on and I believe they will sell the 40k units they project in the first year, even if it's priced fairly high. Once the '08 models hit and the newness has worn off, it will drop in price.
  • fatboyslimfatboyslim Member Posts: 5
    Toyota Targets Enthusiasts in Marketing Campaign for 2007 FJ Cruiser
    Date Posted 11-08-2005

ATLANTA — Toyota kicked off its marketing campaign for the 2007 FJ Cruiser in the Mojave Desert following the SEMA show last week. It was the first of a series of events aimed at influential off-roaders, Inside Line has learned.

"We will do no TV advertising," said James Farley, Toyota Division vice president of marketing. "We will only focus on the enthusiast."

Farley said the company has hired "close to 50 off-road instructors" who will conduct a series of events throughout the country in the coming months as Toyota introduces the latest iteration of the roughneck FJ40 to a group of new consumers. The company is turning to over 30 Land Cruiser clubs in the U.S. to come up with participants for its FJ Cruiser off-road programs.

"Many people don't know what the FJ40 is," Farley said. "We'll spend all of our money establishing the FJ Cruiser's credibility as an off-road machine. We won't race [it] before we do rock crawling [and] mud and trail activities."

The 2007 FJ Cruiser goes on sale in February.

What this means to you: Toyota shows it understands the rule of the off-road: If you don't have authenticity, you don't have anything when it comes to vehicles like the FJ Cruiser.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    $25-29K seems likely. Low $20K's is too optimistic. Also Toyotas are never less than Nissans.. they are always $1-2K more .. It's just the way it's done. If The FJ came in at the same price as the Xterra then Nissan would have to lower the Xterra price.
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    You have a point: Nissans sell at lower prices than comparable Toyotas. However, Xterra is arguably better value or more utility than the FJ: rear doors, interior size & storage space, etc. FJ will likely MSRP in the upper 20s but it will not sell there for any extended period of time. Furthermore, 4Runners are starting to sell in the upper 20s and they have much more content than the FJ.
  • submachinesubmachine Member Posts: 30
    "White roof will be standard on all FJ's"

Says who. I DONT WANT A WHITE ROOF, they better have an option for body color roof, and it better not cost a lot.

All black...OR All titanium.
  • airsolairsol Member Posts: 4
    has anyone seen a picture of what the inside looks like with a manual tranny yet?

alternatively, are the only pictures of the FJ in all black the ones taken from a video and put on the autospies site?
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    approximately $20,000. Your expectations are too high for price. Look at the feature to price content that you are now seeing on the Scion models. Car prices are deflating in constant dollars.

Remember that the last Nissan 300Z costs almost $40,000 before they stopped importing it in the 90s. The new Z starts at $27,000.

I would bet that the base price of the new FJ will be $20,995.

Now if we could just get Toyota to change the name from the FJ to something else.
    Let's hope Jim Farley will price them like they priced the Scions!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    seen the review MT gave the XTerra, this year's MT SUV of the year winner? FJ will have its work cut out for it to measure up! They talk about it being really great and fast on-road, in addition to having solid credentials offroad.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• fatboyslimfatboyslim Member Posts: 5
    I read the article. Very persausive. Xterra is a great product, and Nissan does great marketing. The FJ may turn out to be a great product, but if Toyota sticks to a "grass-roots" marketing campaign, and dicks around with the pricing, it will never get close in sales. All other things being equal, (engine, off-road ability, towing capacity, mpg, etc.), I am leaning towards the Xterra - with full rear doors and selling below MSRP. :shades:
    It is right there on pg 23 of auto Spies SEMA coverage.
    I would like to know what is up with this veny or speaker in the compartment on top of the dash? :confuse:
  • hawmanhawman Member Posts: 19
    i feel kinda silly pointing this out but that's an automatic...did I miss something?
    Umm, oops! Can I use the It's Friday excuse???
    I failed to ask that question.
    I checked it out and even stuffed my hand in that hole.
    It is not smooth or finished like you'd expect a storage cubby hole to be, but this was a pretty crude pre-production one.
  • hawmanhawman Member Posts: 19
    yeah "it's friday" works for me. I looked all over the internet yesterday and didn't find a pic of the manual...anyone else have any luck?
  • marketablemarketable Member Posts: 9
    Went to a Hummer dealership today and test drove an H3. Good vehicle but for an H3, the way I want it, it would be about 38-40K!!!!!! Please Toyota, keep the price down...I'm your young, adventurous, active, male buyer with an average income.. Anything over 30k for an fully loaded automatic FJ, would mean Xterra.
    don't get an automatic!
    You must not live with Southern Cali traffic!
    Plus I rather have automatic when I am off roading up some rocky terrain. Little easier without stalling and burning up a clutch. :sick:
    yes, but cali traffic and a burning clutch need not change your gender
    EZ, cmon' now....
    I have had manual on 4 out of 5 of my vehicles and currently do. But I don't really see the advantage of it over manual with the exception on a sports car and that it saves you around $900 at purchase.
    i'm kidding, of course. or am i? i was just beyond thrilled when i saw the specs for the FJ - a truck with a 6-speed manual. you have to admit there is something entirely empowering/appealing/provocative about that.
    If anyone is going to Ojai can you please ask about, price(tell them to keep it down!!!), options, packages, after-market gear and final colors. Try to get all the info that you can. Thanks guys. Have fun and drool on the water resistant seats for me.
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    So, did I miss something? What's going on in Ojai? :confuse:
    Toyota show in Ojai, CA SAT NOV 19th...It was advertised on the toyota.com site. We should find out a lot more by tomorrow night and have some pictures....oh yeah, check out the thread posted by a guy in the FJCRUISERFORUMS.COM. The thread is titled "FJ Cruiser Specs"
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I am a little disappointed about the fact that the windows on the half doors don't open. This vehicle would basically be our new SUV, and I'm not sure that I can live without rear opening windows.

In any event, I also want to see what the new 4 door 2007 wrangler will look like. If it is similar to the concept jeep rescue, it could be very interesting.

Also, it will be interesting to see how toyota prices the FJ with popular options. I was very interested in buying the new Tacoma, until I saw that it would cost over $30k to get one in 4x4, w/ 4 doors, tow package, and side airbags. $30k is just too rich for my blood for a truck. I hope the FJ comes in below that.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    I hate the wheel on the back and the side opening door. The same with the CRV and the RAV4. I hate it so much it's a deal breaker. The new RAV4 or the FJ would be very appealing if not for that rear door.

I have a garage and often open the rear hatch with the garage door closed. Couldn't do that with a side opening rear door. And the side opening door is less convenient when parked at the curb and loading stuff. Love the half doors on the FJ... hate the rear door.
  • leelynleelyn Member Posts: 1
    I have to somewhat agree. Everything about the FJ Cruiser is appealing to me except the rear hatch setup. I would like to see an electric rear window like the Toyota Tundra so you can drive with all the windows open and let the air escape out the back instead of getting a buffeting effect. Put the electric rear window into a "tailgate" that folds down flat. This makes the FJ Cruiser a much more functional vehicle allowing the ability to carry longer items when needed and a shelf/seat while outback. If the spare tire has to be on the back, then incorporate it into a swing or tilt down mount, so this otherwise great new entry can have an electric rear window with tailgate like it should!
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    ever try to change a flat tire in a foot of mud when the spare is underneath the truck?
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    How large is your garage? The FJ is relatively short, and there may in fact be room to swing the rear door out most of the way if not fully. BTW, the H3 employs a similar design, but even if you're on perfectly level ground (like in your garage), you can't partially open the door and leave it, because it has a hydraulic arm that will open it the rest of the way (and slam it into your garage door).

I just stumbled over here... I don't think I will buy an FJ, but they are really neat. They look like the old off-roaders--not just Toyota, but Land Rover as well.
  • ggg50ggg50 Member Posts: 4
    I read with considerable interest the varied opinions dealing with the Toyota FJ Cruiser. A number of comments made the vehicle age related. I am over 70 and we have a home in the high mountains. We have enjoyed serious 4-wheeling for years and are currently looking for a new option. Quality and reliability rule out another Jeep product. We are excited over what we see and read thus far about the FJ. Many of us who love the outdoors are all potential buyers for a quality 4X4. Toyota / Lexus now has a great track record for excellence. Lets hope they are able to deliver this product as currently outlined. Those who are turned off by any aspect of this new vehicle should keep an open mind until it is available for close inspection. If you still do not like it, continue to look at other options for it would be shame if we all loved the same vehicle.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    I am so disappointed! Voodoo blue? What's next? Devil red? Witch black?

Someone's not thinking at Toyota...
    Tommy: I am having trouble finding your pictures listed in the photo gallery section. Are they there?
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    Try this link:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=351

If that doesn't work, go to gallery, member's gallery, page 2, toyotommy.

I can tell you that this vehicle is no dressed-up grocery getter. This car is designed for off-roading. For those looking for a comfortable for four ride, look elsewhere.
    Yeah, I want to off-road with friends and you just can't with the leg room in the FJ. It may be less than the Wrangler's leg room!
    I am going with the Xterra personally I can deal with that leg room.
    All Toyota needed to do was make a 4Runner without all the luxery stuff, sold it for $8K less and they would have had a winner!
    Tommy: I found your site. Great pictures. Thanks for the help and for sharing. Do you know by chance if the colors you saw are going to be production colors. The colors seen are very different for those listed as available options. I really liked the Mocha. Thanks again for your great pictures. Your pictures of the gasoline filler door looked like a mandate for premium. Is that your understanding??
    One of the pictures now appearing shows the rear door closed with the rear window open. "Pop Out Style" This at least allows items to retrieved or placed in the rear without having to open the door. This door design is why we did not buy a Lexus GX 470 this past Sept. I agree there could be a better rear door option but the current design will not keep us from carefully considering the FJ.