Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-Class (2006+)

Comments

• jpouchetjpouchet Member Posts: 38
    We already own an E 320 with a purchase price of just under 50k and I expect that an ML going for the same price should be equally as well appointed. When you look at it its the same basic motor and transmission with all wheel drive instead of rear wheel so there is a bit of extra cost there but the platform for the ML has got to be a lot cheaper than the E. Let's deal with reality here, the car is built in Alabama, it has to have a lower material and labor cost than the E. So why price it at $48-50k and then saddle it with cheap interior materials. If I'm going to pay luxury prices for an SUV then I expect the manufacture to deliver.

Granted, the ML is still one FINE vehicle. Please don't think for a moment that I do not find the ML to be a vast improvement offer the previous offering. The ride and handling are much better, the visibility is improved, and the cargo area is fantastic, probably the best of anything in its class with the possible exception of the Escalade/Denali/Navigator which are all on a larger truck platform.

I truly believe Mercedes Benz North America will sell as many as they can produce with very little trouble just not to me.

(Note: after a lot of research on the subject, several lengthy test drives, some research on the cost of a rental SUV, and a series of long talks with the family to determine what we would really use versus want, I opted to go and buy a convertible instead of an SUV. Long story short - more fun, cheaper to drive, significantly better MPG, and I can rent a plain-jane SUV for about $275/week if I really want one for a long trip. So I will be leaving this forum shortly. Best wishes to those of you who pursue a new ML. I think you will be quite happy with your purchase.
  • stroudmanstroudman Member Posts: 192
    this is an instance where we're not only comparing two very different vehicles, but two vehicles that are from different eras. The W210 e-class was designed in the mid 90's, so an '02 model is the same car with a couple of more airbags, V6 rather than straight 6, and a couple of cosmetic changes, but mostly a '96 car. An '06 E350 is an entirely different car, with a base price of $50,050. Even with just a sunroof package and freight, that car actually prices at $52,320 in black, white, or midnight blue only. So if you want silver, or navigation, or satellite radio, etc., the sky's the limit. New 268 hp motor, 7-speed tranny, very up-to-date.

The base on the M-class is $39,750, over $10k less than the E. Once you put the basics on that vehicle - leather, power seats, roof, tint, sound + 6-disc, you're up to about $45k, maybe $46K. Once you've reached the $48-50k range, you have navi, metallic paint, heated seats, a very well equipped M-class. Same 268 hp, same 7-speed gearbox, and now a monocoque chassis, that there is no reason to believe is inferior in build quality to the W211 E-class.
  • clsclassclsclass Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up our new ML500 last weekend. Silver with dark charcoal interior. Bought it off the showroom floor and it was pretty loaded....premium package, light package, comfort package etc. In fact, the only options not on the car were the off road package and the AMG package. Took it to Chicago this weekend and so far, love the vehicle. The 500 has lots of power, and with the airmatic, handles very well. The M class is also the first vehicle that doesn't require the "hockey puck" for satellite radio. It's already intergrated, so we got that too. Can't give you much help on getting a good deal because we used the Daimler employee discount of 12.25% off of sticker (my son works for Daimler-Chrysler). However, over the next few weeks, will be able to comment on the car in general. FYI, also picked up the new CLS500 on the same day. Got it in the Launch Edition. Two really great cars, and we are excited to be in the MB family.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    Congratulations on both purchases! Please let us know the good/bad regarding the ownership experience for both models as time goes on.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yes! Please do stick around and let us know all about your ownership experience with both of these brand-new Mercedes models. The M I'm especially curious to know about in regards to reliability and build quality.

M
    "Stroudman & Merc1 - do you know if Mercedes is planning on doing a "test and ride" event for the new ML - similar to the C-Spot and Love Mercedes events last year?"

Here you go:

http://www.mbusa.com/main/models/campaigns/road-rally/index.jsp

I'm signed up for June 3rd (Chicago area)! Though I could just to drive one at the dealer by then huh, but I like these type of events.

M
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    This is much appreciated. I'm signed up for the weekend in NJ. I really enjoy these events as well!
    Your welcome. What date do you go? If you go before June 3rd I'll be wanting to hear what you think.

M
  • nileshnilesh Member Posts: 5
    bought ML350 with premium and comfort package.already drove 2500 miles.went to idaho and back to san jose ---1500 miles in 2 days.great SUV.Exellent ride,comfort,lots of room in the back and in the cargo.will keep posted.
  • ace654ace654 Member Posts: 7
    Hi which do you think will win bmw,lexus,mb.I think the lexus will win dont shout at me plz dont.
    ML63 AMG

Mercedes-Benz's 510hp rival to the Porsche Cayenne Turbo has arrived!

M
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I'm afraid that I do not like the styling, particularly the rear 3/4 view. I thought it looked overwrought. The waistline is sloped too much to the front. I don't like the downward curve in the roof above the C pillar. And I particularly do not like the way the rear wheel flare extends into a very large horizontal triangular character line in the doors.

I realize that others like the styling. It just isn't for me.
  • occaroccar Member Posts: 2
    Any quality problems to report from anyone out there?
    I have serious white marks on my interior door panels (saw them in the first week of ownership).. ..I saw the warnings about cheap plastic interior, but decided to buy the suv anyhow...now are my worst fears about ML quality going to be realized? White marks are caused by either cheap materials, bad workmanship in assembly (plastic stress marks). So far, have not made much progress with my dealer service department to accept responsibility and DO something. Hopefully not the start of a bad story. Any ideas?
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Here is the ML63, the most powerful SUV on Earth at the Frankfurt Auto Show. It'd be interesting to have a super SUV comparison with the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, BMW X5 4.8i, Land Rover Range Rover Sport, and the Mercedes ML63 AMG.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow/articles/107049/page009.html?tid=edmunds.e.autoshow..- leftnav.10.*
    I look for Porsche to update the Cayenne Turbo very soon with 500hp to match the ML63. Of course BMW will up the power in their 2007 X5, whatever the "is" model will be then. A hp war in the SUV class, who ever would have thought that.

M
    Some pics:

Pretty slick.

M
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Thanks for those pictures! The ML63 looks amazing.

Yesterday I spotted a silver Mercedes ML55 AMG and a black Brabus M Class, and while looking at their plain styling, I realized how much better the ML63 and Cayenne look.
  • genegraygenegray Member Posts: 17
    Those white marks? That's nothing!
    6 days after driving it off from the dealer (ML350 with appearance, navi, sunroof, heated seats and entertainment pack), i lost the power steering on my "ALL NEW '06 ML350"!!! :sick: There is actually a recall on 06 ML regarding its power assist steering (learned it from cars.com). And you know this is ALL NEW so the dealer is still ordering the parts from Alabama (if not Germany). My friend who has the 06 ML500 had a transmission problem!!! stop and go traffic kinda situation - transmission makes a lot of noise (rev at almost 4000 while the suv remained at stand still position) SCARY!! for a 50k SUV.
    Good luck on you whip!
    Let me know if you encounter any problem. :lemon:
  • buyingbuying Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I am looking to purchase a 2006 ML 350 or 500.
    Can you please let me know the prices you've paid.

Really appreciate it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may be interested in Mercedes Benz M-Class: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

tidester, host
  • davidr13davidr13 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone now if the 2007 ML500 will have the new engine design that are going into the E500 (2007)?
  • crzyaimcrzyaim Member Posts: 58
    We have a 2006 ML 350 and the drivers front seat is squeaking terribly. The dealership has applied MB lubricant and this did not resolve the problem. Now they are ordering a new track. Has any one else experienced this problem and what did you find to be the fix. This is our second ML and the first one never had this problem. Any input would be great.
  • dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone know if MB plans to introduce a diesel engine in the M-Class. I like the vehicle, but am concerned about the mileage estimates on the M350. Thanks.
  • norge46norge46 Member Posts: 1
  • palmharborpalmharbor Member Posts: 26
    I have had my 2006 ML500 for 51 weeks. Until last week my complaints about hard shifting fell on deaf ears. Last week I spoke with my dealer's new service manager and he told me that there is a new software update for the transmission. I brought it in, but they found that the electrohydraulic control unit installed on my ML has been superseded by a new type, and they got one from MB and installed it, together with updated software. The transmission is much, much better. If any of you still have jerky transmissions, it would be worth looking into. I would be happy to fax a copy of the service sheet showing what was done to correct the problem. Also, there is acompressor for air suspension campaign.
  • ejv207ejv207 Member Posts: 15
    Have had an 06 ML500 for a little over a year, have had a couple problems with it. About April of this year, car died in the middle of an intersection no indicators came on, MB Assist came quickly, and found out there was a problem with the fuel tank monitor, Even though the fuel indicator was at half, there was not a drop of gas in the car. This problem took over a week to fix, though the C230 loaner which filled in nicely. A month or so later, the check engine light came on and when brought in, advisor let us know it was a problem with the computer. Just yesterday started to notice a creaking noise during turns from the rear suspension and a little vibration when cruising and letting off the brake. Bringing it in next week for a checkup, but has anyone else had a problem with the suspension?
    Other than that the vehicle is a definite upgrade from the 99 and 2002 MLs we've owned.
  • estillestill Member Posts: 1
    I currently have an ML500 (2006) with the jerky transmission. After they "repaired" my all-the-time jerky transmission it became a part-time problem that they say they can't find and I'll have to live with it.

I'm currently compiling info to see if I have to proceed with the lemon law.

I would appreciate if you could give me the info on your service sheet to see if it is the same as the original fix they did or any other thing that would be helpful to fix this problem.
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • jocladjoclad Member Posts: 1
    yes it is certain it will have the new one
  • bpray32747bpray32747 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought one, and have a clicking noise when turning in the front seat. Dealer cannot find the solution. can anyone help
    A grand mistake if you ask me. For example the Lexus LS now has more discussions that it did before and none of them are really of any use. They're all over the map and they don't have the conversational flow the previous discussion had. I mean one topic for styling, another for price, and yet another for something else. Who is in charge of this needless complication on Edmunds? You're going to have 8 threads on the M-Class and none of them will get much action because people won't know where to post and when they do they'll have to take their other questions to yet another thread? Doesn't make sense.

M
    What would you folks think about some kind of "lounge" for M-Class? I don't know if that's possible given the requirements but I think it's worth exploring.

tidester, host
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I agree that this is a needless complication. The old system ebbed and flowed and you could get a feel for the car by following the discussion. One might be surprised by where the discussion went and discover some unusual bits of information that you wouldn't think of looking for. Since I am thinking of trading in my Lexus RX in a couple of years I am following 4 or 5 cars which is bad enough. Now I will be following 40 or 50 separate discussions. Ridiculous.
    I guess I don't see why anything needs to be changed. I mean what is wrong with a "M-Class" discussion. People have used a single thread to talk about pricing, styling, peformance, buying tips etc. etc. for years and there was no problem. The last round of changes were enough IMO. The tracking feature is great though, but with these pending changes you'll need to track 4-5 different threads or a whole group of discussions for just one vehicle. It doesn't make sense and makes finding the information a particular vehicle that much harder, IMO.

M
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    There have been only 87 posts in this discussion in 20 months. I don't think any more "discussions" on the 2006+ M class are needed.
  • billmvbillmv Member Posts: 148
    Tidester.....I agree with the others. It wasn't broken. Why try to fix it? Were there massive complaints about the general thread? Or is someone at Edmunds just trying to justify keeping their job by making changes? What's the difference between a "lounge" and a "general" thread? there is none. Just a new name. If you want to let people "be in charge" and create new threads, then let people keep existing threads. I'll bet you the existing general threads will continue to attract the most users.

You can't have management in charge when it comes to shutting down threads but the users in charge when it comes to creating new ones. It's either one or the other.

This applies to all makes and models. Every model should have one "general" thread.

You're going to ruin a good thing.
    Hi, Bill. Thanks for your comments.

There's been a lot of discussion on the "whys" over in the software forums so I won't rehash all of that here. Basically, we have LARGE numbers of people coming to the site looking for specific information and help but they are completely put off when they come across general discussions containing thousands of messages or even tens of thousands in some cases! And they do complain!

We're trying to make it easier for them to get the information they need so they'll just go to group pages and pick out the relevant discussion.

What's the difference between a "lounge" and a "general" thread?

The general threads, as they exist, suggest the answers are contained therein and that puts us back to square one. I think that a "general" discussion with a more informal name (such as "lounge" or whatever) won't be viewed as a primary data source but will maintain the continuity of interaction among those of us who just like to talk about our vehicles.

Also, when questions and issues of broader interest do arise in the more informal discussion there is always the option of moving it to or picking it up in the specific topics.

Yes, it's a little different but I think it will better serve both the noob and the more experienced participant in the end.

I hope that helps!

tidester, host
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Mercedes Benz M-Class
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
    Gasp! I don't believe it!

M
    Believe!

tidester, host
  • billmvbillmv Member Posts: 148
    So now the pressure is on us!! We have to get some posts back up here.

So how about those Cal Bears losing to Arizona? Oops, wrong forum.

Thanks, Tidester. Smart move on your part. If someone doesn't like this forum they don't have to visit it. For those of us who appreciate the conversational flow and the valuable tidbits re certain models, the general forums are the only place where that can happen.

Good thing I had my email tracker still on, or I never would have known this was reopened. I just hope we haven't permanently lost too many people.

Bill
    Good thing I had my email tracker still on, or I never would have known this was reopened. I just hope we haven't permanently lost too many people.

Bingo! Glad I didn't change mine either. Yeah I have a feeling a lot of folks have left so it may take a while for it to get around that certain threads have been re-opened.

M
  • palmharborpalmharbor Member Posts: 26
    My ML500 is now 23 months old with 20,500 miles. After a rocky start with the transmission, I now find it quite good, and don't think that there is any other SUV in its size that I would prefer. I did try out a diesel the other day, and was quite impressed with the performance.

I replaced the tires this past week although I probably could have gotten another couple of thousand miles on the original continentals. I put on a set of Michelins new luxury crossover tires, V rated, for $1007 at Costco. What was disappointing at Costco was the wheel balancing. When they balanced the new tires, they naturally removed the factory weights, but didn't remove the old adhesive, which leaves an ugly black strip on the silver wheels. Costco won't remove it, as they claim they don't know how to do it without possibly damaging the finish, which I think is BS. The tire technician suggested using acetone or paint remover, but said on his own car he uses his fingernails. I tried that, but it didn't work. Costco has a good price on the tires, but I would take them to the MB dealer for mounting after this experience. Does anyone know a safe way to remove the adhesive?
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    "Does anyone know a safe way to remove the adhesive?"

Try WD-40...spray it on and let sit for a minute, then wipe off.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• spokesman001spokesman001 Member Posts: 1
    Have the same vehicle with the same transmission problem. I would LOVE to receive a copy of the service sheet showing what was done to correct it. (888) 664-1999. Thanks.
  • losttoothlosttooth Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2000 ML320 with about 82K miles. It's been a good vehicle, but starting to have more and more problems. I have been offered a great deal on a 2007 ML350, but am curious about reliability. Obviously that has been a major issue in the past.
  • paultanopaultano Member Posts: 4
    I'm new to Mercedes, new to the board and have a question for those with a bit more experience.

My 2006 ML has the birdseye maple finish with an all leather steering wheel. I want to upgrade to a wooden wheel but only see the option with burl walnut. When looking at the options on the '08 I see it is available with the birdseye but when it gives a description it mentions the burl. My question is, has anyone ever seen a maple wood and leather wheel out there or know if one is available?

I would appreciate any feedback you can give, Thanks
  • paultanopaultano Member Posts: 4
    The ML was redesigned in 2006 to a completely different vehicle. It is unibody now and drives much like a car instaed of a truck. I own an 06 350 and Love it. If you look at the reviews on the 2006-08s you'll see how the reliability issues have drastically improved as well. I suggest you test drive the 07 and you'll see the difference from your older model. Now is the perfect time to deal. I bought mine in December last year and got a great deal. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.