Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C350 & C280

Comments

• mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    I'd try for at least 90% off MSRP, incl. leather, Xenons, moonroof, etc. :)

"I signed the paperwork on a C350 three days ago . . . but the price shows up as $444,444, meaning that MB hasn't released the pricing."
  • ikramericaikramerica Member Posts: 101
    MB is having a lease support sales event that was initially until end of June but now is advertised as through August 1. Hope that doesn't hold up the C deliveries.

My Euro deliver C280 4matic is set to pick up the last week in july.

And for whoever said the price of a loaded C320 is only $1000 more than a C240, that's just not true. It's nearly $4000, not a small chunk of change, especially when the 2006 C280 is about the same as the 2005 C320 in engine. It's why i went with the C280. The C320 was good enough car for me, so why spend the money and gas on a C350?
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I was looking at an obsidian black c230 which has a MSRP of $36,870. Invoice on this car is $34,340. The dealer says he can sell it for $34,870. Which is essentially $500 over invoice. I know the 06's are coming out in a month or so, should I wait or try to get the dealer to go lower than $500 over invoice?
    Also, it has the entertainment package which I really don't care about. How is the entertainment package anyways? Is it anywhere near close to the 1 grand price or is it worthless??
    " . . . especially when the 2006 C280 is about the same as the 2005 C320 in engine. It's why i went with the C280. The C320 was good enough car for me, so why spend the money and gas on a C350?"

Apparently, you'd at least spend less on gas. According to the current published info that I have seen, compared to the 320, the 350 is said to get 5% better fuel economy (with the 7-spd trans), even with big increases in hp and torque. :surprise:
  • tisherstishers Member Posts: 4
    I was in the Vance AL plant yesterday, the company I work for sells them their Siemens control systems for the manufacturing line. It is an extraordinary place. I have been in the Saturn plant in Spring Hill TN. I tell ya, the Mercedes workforce is highly motivated and very proud of the cars they manufacture.
    "compared to the 320, the 350 is said to get 5% better fuel economy (with the 7-spd trans), even with big increases in hp and torque."

You missed my point. The C320 was good enough for me, and since the C280 is closer in performance to the old C320, while the new C350 is more than I need, I went with the C280 (C320 performance but with a new, more efficient engine).

The C350 is NOT 5% more efficient than the C280. The C280 is more efficient than the C350, as it is the same drivetrain, but smaller (3.0L vs. 3.5L). The C280 is more than 5% more efficient than the 2005 C320 as well.
    Mine's ready end of July no matter what, but I am wondering where the 2006 C cars are? Still only 2005s on the website, and the C230 lease offer runs through August 1.

The CLK as well is still stuck on 2005. And the one we weren't expecting to see first, the 2006 SLK280, has shown up.

Go figure.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Where are the cars?

Good question. I just knew they'd be here by now, but the local dealer here still has a good number of 2005 C's so it might be a little while longer.

M
  • duke3636duke3636 Member Posts: 3
    Where are the cars?

My local dealers (Naperville, IL and De Kalb, IL) told me Mid July 2006 C's will arrive...
    that's what mine told me a couple weeks ago. However after driving a c230 I probably won't be buying a C due to the location of the power window switches. Didn't know they were near the door speakers. Very inconveneint.
    My local dealers (Naperville, IL and De Kalb, IL) told me Mid July 2006 C's will arrive...

Hey those are my local dealers too!!! Well Naperville is.

M
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    ...because I am not crazy about their "new" location either. In my 2000 C, the window switches are on the console. That took a while getting used to. I didn't realize until sitting in the 2005 C (whose interior I otherwise like) that, when I drive in my "preferred position" (left knee propped against the door) my shin presses against the window switches. I have noticed in a lot of new cars that the "footwell" space seems to be shrinking (partly because center consoles are getting wider to accomodate navigation, etc.) I may need to rent a new C for a day or two to see how I feel about the switch layout long term. A minor point, I know--but in a narrower car like the C, every extra inch counts!
    ...if any of you Benzers are free the weekend of July 16 and 17 and happen to be in Pittsburgh, PA, be sure to check out the PGH Vintage Grand Prix. Other than the races, there are plenty of great cars (particularly German). The Merc, BMW, and Porsche cars are generally in the same area. Each year there is a "featured marque"--this year, it's the Ford Mustang. I live in Northern VA now, but grew up in the Pittsburgh area, and like to make it back to the GP whenever I can.
    They are in a bad place. But they are not that bad. Having owned my C for 4 years, I have yet to get used to them, but it is not a deal breaker on an otherwise great car.

EVERY car has some ergonomic quirk. And despite the great placement of the center switches for who knows how long, car magazines (who usually hate MB) ALWAYS would complain about the center location as being "confusing."

Anyway, I see the CLK350 Cabrio is HERE! They are still selling the CLK320 coupe, but cabrio is a 2006.

Destination charge has increased from $720 to $775 for 2006.

And just as a side note:

The 2006 CLK350 Cabrio is only $155 more than the 2005 CLK320 Cabrio, including the increased destination charge.

So that is very good news for those who were afraid the C350 might cost more than the C320. Price should be about even.
    That's the same position I'm in, with the leg propped against the door. When I did a test drive, every time I wanted to get to the switches, I had to move my leg and lean forward. I had a 325ci with the switches in the center and although they were different than all other cars I've owned, I got used to them pretty quick.
    A while back I test drove a legacy GT or what have you, and the door switches stuck out so much I couldn't think of getting the car. The MB C-Class isn't nearly that bad. The only thing that bugs me about them is the reach to use them, not the knee intrusion, and I'm a big guy.

I prefer Audi's switch location, which is like most Japanese cars.
    So talking to my salesman, he said that he had talked to New Jersey and still no pricing on my car. It is already built and sitting in Germany, with a VIN, waiting for me to come get it. But no pricing until middle of July. And no information on any introductory lease programs either, but he promised to keep on them about this, since I have to decide between lease and purchase soon, since my trip to Germany is coming up.

He also looked through his computer and saw that there are no 2006 C-Class in the ports in California yet, and the ones headed for his dealership aren't scheduled to arrive there until July 21.

Add to this the lease support on the C230 runs through August 1, and his belief is that the car won't be available officially until August 1.

He said he has no C320s or C240s for sale right now, and hasn't for a while, but has about 25 2005 C230 models remaining. But he said this has been their top seller anyway, and with lease support, he doesn't see a problem with selling most of them before the 2006 arrives.
  • jwilliebjwillieb Member Posts: 1
    Dear ikramerica -- I have read thru several postings and am coufused -- is the C230KZ staying with the turbo 1.8L 4 or is it going to a 2.5L V6 (presumably non-turbo)?

I take euro delivery on a C230KZ Aug 25 and like you have no pricing nor do I know about the engine situation, although the dealer's info is that the 1.8L remains even as the 240/32- change to 280/350 and 3.0/3.5L.

Our son is doing what you did, opting for the C280 and getting a 2006 cheaper than a 2005 C320 with same or better performance. Good move.

WHat do you know about colors? We wanted Orion Blue but it is no more so we took Mars Red. My son wanted Obsidian Black which today he was told is no more?

Viel danke, jwillieb
  • benz14benz14 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, just here wondering when the new C's are actually gonna come out. Wondering if anyone had a solid date for delivery. Getting tired of waiting wanna see how the new engine will perform. Thanks, Benz :confuse: :)
  • dbranddbrand Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2006 C280 4Matic on order. Build date is August 20 (a Saturday--hard to believe) and the car should be deliverd to my dealership (Portland, Oregon) no later than the end of September. Since this is a new model, of course I'm anxious to see the car. My dealership said there's a very good chance the first 2006 C280s will be arriving here by the end of July.

Through the fleet vehicle manager of my employer (Fortune 500 company), I was put in touch with the MB dealer in Buena Park, California. They gave me a written promise (faxed to me) that they sell sell me any MB new model, whether from their inventory or by special order, for their invoice plus incentives and holdbacks. If anyone works for a large company with fleet vehicle department, you may want to check to see if you can manage the same kind of deal.

I live in Oregon, and the CA dealer would ship the car to me so I would not be subject to the CA sales tax. The transport charge would have been $400 we estimated.

However, I wanted to buy my car from my local dealer, who has sold/maintained all of my previous Mercedes cars. I showed them the fax promise from the CA dealer and my local dealer matched it. I have ordered my C280 4 Matic (black/ash) with every option except navigation, and my sales contract indicates the price (not yet published by MB) will be dealer invoice. No holdbacks or incentives are being offered by the factory as this is a new model, and apparently will be a big seller.

The dealer (general manager and personal friend for many years) said the prices hadn't yet been released by MB for the 2006 C280, but he had heard that they would be about the same as the 2005 C240. He said it wasn't a very good seller, and many buyers felt that model was underpowered. MB listened and the result is the 280 for the 240 price.
    I was told by my salesman that pricing has been released in a half-arsed way. Since they now have cars on boats with VINs, the dealer can look up it's invoice price. Matched against options form last year, a new price can be found.

The C280 is $900 more than the C240, from what he determined. This does not include increased destination cost for all MB models. The C350 will be somewhere between $100 and $1000 more, but he didn't check specifically because he has no orders for them as of yet.

My car is already built and sitting in Germany waiting for me. I go into the dealer to write the check and sign papers on Friday, but will not pay that $900 extra without firm numbers. I'll make it clear that when they can show me the real invoice, I'll pay the difference from 2005-2006 of the base, as agreed to.

While the CLK350 is only $100 more than the CLK320, he said they are all arriving with rear side airbags, which costs buyers another $400 or so. The C350 could come the same way.

As for the C230, the only way you could be confused is if you skimmed the thread. It is clear if you read through that the 2006 IS a 2.5L V6 engine. I have the 2006 spec sheet right here, including comparisons to 2005. Further, the C230 never had a turbo. But if your dealer is saying you will be getting a 2006 with a 1.8L, he doesn't know what he is talking about. This information has been available for months now. Be careful they aren't giving you a 2005, unless you want one, in which case bargain more on price...
    both for domestic and euro delivery.
    I have a 2006 C280 4Matic on order with entertainment, lighting and sunroof packages, and heated seats. It's black so no up charge on color. I just received an email from my dealership saying they have the MSRP price on my car, of $39,075. I have a contract to buy the car for dealer invoice, which will be about $36,500. He is mailing a copy of his invoice to me. My dealer confirmed that the markup is 7% over invoice.

One thing has me a little concerned--don't know if this means there are problems with the new engine, or if they just have so many orders they can't keep up, or perhaps there are supply issues from other vendors. The build date was to be August 20 with a delivery date in mid-late September. Now the build date has been changed to the first week of September with delivery in early October.
    The C350 (MSRP $38,925 with 7-spd auto and leather inserts apparently as standard equipment) is now on the MBUSA.
  • jb_mbjb_mb Member Posts: 1
    the 06 C-class pricing is $800 more than last year's pricing.

I work at a dealer and the '06's just rolled in. I haven't had the opportunity to drive the C280 yet since the first 2 came in sold, but here are my impressions on the others:

C230WZ: Much smoother acceleration than the supercharged 4 banger and quite a bit quieter as well. Not a big difference imo between the '05 and '06 as far as quickness. Fuel economy ratings are 3mpg worse in the city and 2mpg worse on the highway than the 4 cylindar.

C350W4: We got a 4-matic in with the 5 speed tranny and the power was fantastic. This car is going to be a hit for performance enthusiasts and BMW converts. Smooth acceleration with a punch when pushed. I can only imagine what the 2wd models with the 7 speed will feel like, but my initial impression of the car was that of a much quieter and more comfortable SLK350-like feel.

Bottom line: Go drive one, the new engines are very impressive!
  • kronogoosekronogoose Member Posts: 116
    On the 230, did you have the manual or automatic transmission? I'm wondering what the new seven-speed auto is like.

So, was the tranny with the 4Matic an automatic or manual? Can you get 4Matic with a manual?

Thanks,

Greg
    Do you have the 280s in yet, too? Wondering where your dealership is located and if all dealers will receive their cars at about the same time.

My 280 4Matic won't be delivered until early October and I'm anxious to see the 2006 version. Local dealer (Portland, Oregon) sez they won't be in until end of this month.

Thanks!
  • tisherstishers Member Posts: 4
    I too was given a delivery date in September for my C350W4.

I went the full route with every option checked on the MBUSA page.

With TN state taxes (and Nashville), after some negotiation it came in at $49,900.

Mostly because I was stubborn and wouldn't pay for it if it was over 50.
    I just read a couple of your posts in the E-class section and saw that you ell MB's. I am considering a used E, maybe 03/04 model for around $40k or so with approx. 30k miles. Do you think it is a good buy since I've seen so many bad posts about electrical problems in the E. Would a dealer do a VMI for me if I bought it from a non MB used car lot? Or would I have to know someone there? Thanks!
    I can't speak to delays, as mine has been built for 2 weeks and is sitting in Germany waiting for me to pick up.

These cars have been on sale elsewhere in the world already, so hopefully any problems have been worked out. The 350 engine is now over 1 year old, and has made it's way into other models first. The 3L and 2.5L are just different versions of the same engine, and the 3.0L has already been in use as well.

Invoice for your car should be: $35,619 + $775 destination. Euro delivery price is invoice price, so if you want invoice prices, just visit www.mbusa.com and configure the car through Euro delivery.
  • levinlevin Member Posts: 1
    My black c280 is sitting at the dealer in Chicago but too bad I am out of the country :( It was built in early July and shipped maybe 2 weeks ago. That probably disproves any kind of delay problems with shipments to the U.S. I can't wait to pick it up and test out the new engine.
    Thanks for the dealer invoice information. I was in the dealership yesterday and he said the build date will be September 10, also a Saturday. Are they just building C280s on Saturdays--first build date was August 20--also a Saturday. I picked up one of the new brochures and devoured every page. Discovered that the 4Matic package includes "bun warmers". Glad I didn't have to pay extra for that. Love the new wheels--they are different from the 2005 C240s. They are a seven spoke config' and look kind of flat, as opposed to the rounder spokes in the 05s. Dealer looked on his computer and said several C280s and C350s were in LA now, and would be transported to Oregon next week so should be here by the end of the month. I sold my E, so am car-ownership-less. Driving my ex-husband's 320 CLK (glad we're still good friends) until October. Lovely car but want my own again.
    I'll be carless too. :( my C230K coupe lease is up Sep 5, but my car likely won't arrive at my dealership until mid-september. Don't want to extend anything since the warranty will be over. So I guess it's a Ford Focus from Enterprise for a week or two. THAT will make me appreciate the new car even more (though i do like the Focus).

PS - All 4Matics have heated seats, AFAIK. I guess MB figures that heated seats and bad weather go together. Who are we to argue? ;)
  • fmpfmp Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know if either of these cars have hit the Northern NY/NYC area yet for test drive?
    I received a call yesterday from the local MB dealer telling me the first 06 280 had arrived. When I arrived the technician doing the PDI said he'd just completed the test drive and he said it was "...really powerful....much more so than the 05 C320 and the new 7 speed transmission was so smooth I couldn't detect the gear changes...". This car was finished in Pewter Metallic with full black leather interior, sunroof and entertainment packages. I thought the color was not one of the best, and both the sales guy and the technician offered that it wasn't their favorite either. I love the wheel design--it's a flatter design and looks almost like a solid wheel with the cut-outs between spokes--very smart. I have been a class judge at the Pebble Beach concours for many years and view gaps, paint and brightwork very critically. I could find nothing to fault in this car's fit and finish--just perfect. The tires were high speed Pirelli's--an excellent tire but a bit noisier than Michelins. The only thing that I don't like about the car is the black-painted styrofoam "thing" that covers the baby spare. Also miss the fact that MB doesn't include a proper hand tool kit with the car any longer. Now that I've seen one, the next 2-1/2 months until my black 4Matic come in, will seem like eons.
    I took a look around on the MB dealers lot today and he's got all the new 2006 models in. A C350 4Matic is a pricey vehicle for sure. This dealer also has a lot of SLK280s too, but no SLK350 models.

A treat for MB lovers:

Enjoy!

M
    I love watching that show on the SPEED channel. The narrator in the CLS segment is one of the commentators on FG, I believe. I visited my local dealer Saturday (ASC, Arlington, VA). There was a C230 (already sold) and two C280s. Interestingly, all 3 cars were black. Also a very nice metallic red SLK280. I'm thinking of doing what I did in 2000 and picking up a C from the last model year (2007). There will probably be a Special Edition version in '07, as well. Right now, I'm thinking C280 4MATIC, white with royal blue leather. I'd like to see that interior in person, but it seems as though full leather is becoming increasingly rare on Cs, esp. in this area--and I'm sure the blue is not a common color. I'll check MBUSA to see if that shade is offered on any other series. Again, thanks for the video!
    Yes that was actually Top Gear. Their videos are some of the best. The CLS55 AMG is actually able the track faster than a whole host of sports cars, very impressive for 2-ton 4-door.

Speaking of special edititions, I'm surprised there hasn't been an S-Class SE yet considering the 2006 model is the end of the line for the current model in the U.S.

M
  • innhitmaninnhitman Member Posts: 7
    I drove both yesterday.... anyone considering a c class, must test drive the 06 3 series before deciding.... I believe that for most people, choosing a c class is purely because they want to have a 'mercedes'.. it is not based on the fact that it is a better car than the 3 series.... that would include me too, if I choose the c class.... but after driving the 3 series, it would seem insane to not choose the BMW..... I understand I am opening myself to flaming on this post, since this is the C class forum... but I just had to say it.....
    Tell us why you like the 3 series BMW better than the C Mercedes. Get specific, please.
    Well the 3-Series is brand new so of course it should be superior to the 6 year old C-Class, if it wasn't then there would be something seriously wrong at BMW. As a sports sedan the 3-Series is still tops in this segment, but the C-Class sport models, especially the C350 is hardly that far behind to make it seem "insane" to buy it.

M
    --I respect the fact that it is both a driver's car and a brand-new design. But what is it with the styling? The 3 is probably the least offensive of BMW's recent car designs (I think their SUVs have fared better). I just don't understand why, for example, BMW endowed the new 3er with an older Nissan Maxima-like rear--particularly the taillights.
    While i respect your opinion, this is not the place for it. There are numerous, numerous threads about such topics. Further, a very quick drive in the new C will not give you any indication as to how great this car is. more on that now...
    Just returned from Germany and 1400km in my new C280 4matic.

Being a current C owner, all I can say is this car, from a driving perspective, is far, far superior, and one of the best driving cars you can buy. Like any new car with a new driver and smart transmission these days, it took a little time for the car to learn how I drive, and once it did, we were connected at the pedal. That's why I say a quick drive around the block in a new demo will not indicate how this car performs, especially when compared with the differently geared 3 series. There is so much usable power in the C280, usable handling, yet smooth ride that lets you hear and feel the bumps ever so slightly, but doesn't make you regret them, that as a car for use on all sorts of roads in all sorts of conditions, this car is a winner. And as a former BMW driver, I know where of I speak. BMW are great to drive in fun conditions. MB are great to own in all conditions.

The C280 was stable at 140mph bursts, 130mph in the rain, and 80,90, and 110 cruising, and felt nearly as responsive in all conditions as my dads 500E did when I first drove it. It even had decent acceleration above 110, with a firm press of the foot downshifting to 5000rpm and surging forward.

The new V6 is a gem of an engine, and even "hampered" with 4matic and the 5 speed transmission, it was never out of sorts. While not as "invisible" as the 7speed, the current 5speed can always be counted on to shift at the right time, and also works great in manumatic mode. It works better than my 2002 5speed, and that's a fine transmission, exotic for the time. I for one don't need the transmission to be so invisible I don't know what gear I'm in, but I could imagine if there were room for the 7speed and 4matic in one car, it would be a novelty to say the least. But you don't lose anything in the experience with the 5speed.

This car is so good, I don't understand the C350. Well, I understand that in this "hp race" time we live in, the C350 is needed so the car magazines don't [non-permissible content removed] and moan about underpowered 230hp compact sedans like the C280, but I just can't see MB selling too many C350s with the C280 around. At least, not too many C350 luxury sedans. C350 sport, they'll sell a few. C350 luxury, just no point. And if MB offered a C280 sport model, the C350 would be even more of a niche than it is now.

I also agree. The 16" wheels are award winning in design. Absolutely stunning, like nothing I've seen in a long time, like nothing you can find on Tirerack, both 2D and 3D at once. Being a german delivered car, mine had Continental tires, all season sport affairs, that were perfect for the car other than the fact that Contis are noisy (droning) tires in general. US cars are more likely to get the quiet but uber crappy zero grip Michelin Energy garbage.

I was going to put 17" AMG twin 5 spoke wheels (C32/SLK32 AMG design) on my car, with all season touring tires, since I own them from my current C, but these 16in wheels are so sharp, and the balance in ride so good, I'm not so sure. I might just swap out the tires on the 16s for an all season touring tire that is quieter after using them up a little this winter (like the turanza lsh), and put the 17" on for summer with a quiet summer tire package. But as is, the car works quite well.

My car is the blue metallic with blue leather and sunroof package. I also got split rear seat, nav system, and power driver seat.

Just a note on the blue leather. It is NOT royal blue as I expected and one of you expect it will be. it is midnight blue. Very classy, but a little darker than I was expecting. But I think it really does go well with the Blue exterior, and would go well with white, too.
    I too would go with the C280 4MATIC. Glad to hear the AWD doesn't "dull" the car--which it seemed to in the A4 I drove in 2000 before buying the C. Interesting to hear the blue leather is "midnight-y." This may help its popularity (seems lots of people want dark interiors in their German rides). I would spec mine with the sunroof, entertainment, and lighting packages ( I really like the HK stereo, and my night vision isn't the best, so the bi-xenon lights would be appreciated). Re the tires, the Tire Rack has recommended Turanzas to me to replace my Michelins. Fiinally, an MB salesman I spoke to recently said the 280 is plenty of engine for the C, he thought the 350 was overkill. I can't wait to try the 280--your post just whetted my appetite more!
  • jirehjireh Member Posts: 2
    Hi...I am planning to buy either a new C240 or C320 or the C280 ..but am so confused.
    Can any expert tell me which is a better deal.
    Also my husband is interested in Navigation package, lighting package and teleaid...Are these packages worth?
    What other options should I consider before buying.

Please advice!

Thank you so much for your time
  • drumdrum Member Posts: 4
    I just took delivery of my 2006 C280 sedan...I was driving a 2001 C320 sedan and put 67000 miles on it. I have the navigation system on the new car. I loved the 2001 but I think the 2006 is even nicer. The body is exactly the same but the AC/heater controls are more user friendly...they improved the instrument panel readouts and the car handles like a dream...it has plenty of power. I do not have the 4 matic. The navigation is NOT touch screen and I think is a little awkward to use and takes a while to get used to it but it is very complete and accurate. I have no complaints about the car. It is not as stiff as the BMW 3 series which I found a bit too firm. I am not sure if the TeleAid is worth the money...I found it unnecessary if you have a cell phone since it works off the cell phone system and is only as good as you cell phone service...
    If you can get a good deal, the 2005 C240 is still a fine car. It isn't that powerful, but it "feels" fast, and it gets the job done. In germany, most people drive 2 liter kompressor engined MB cars or cdi diesel MBs, and they all get by just fine, at 120mph on the autobahn and scooting around city traffic. My car, with the 3.0L V6, was more engine than most other cars I saw there, E, C, CLK, SLK, what have you. The E200K seemed to be a very popular option, one never sold here, for obvious reasons. Same with the CLK200K.

As for the 2005 C320 v. 2006 C280. I think the C280 has a bit more usable power. The C320 seems to "fight" you a bit to get at the power band. The new 2006 V6 is just a far superior engine to the old 18valve V6 it seems. In case you don't know, for 2006 Mercedes has ALL NEW V6 engines for the C class. It's not just a number change, but new technologies, new sizes, new output, new number of valves, better fuel economy, etc. It's not just a name change this year.

And since even if they are trying to unload them, the C280 will cost less than the 2006 C320, I would not get it. The C280 is the way to go, honestly, but if you got a good deal on the C240 (thousands less than a C280 would be good, not hundreds), then it's up to you. Ask for an extended test drive of the 240 (borrow it for the afternoon errands, for example). Then you'll know if it is enough engine for you.

as for options:

I have the current CD based NAV system in my 2002 C-Coupe, and though some didn't like it, it has never let me down, other than needing to be replaced once. It is a Bosch system, and MB had a load of trouble with them failing electronically, but in terms of getting me where I needed to go, it was great.

The new C class (2005 and 2006 both) have a DVD based system, with a nicer, bigger screen with greater detail. While not a touch screen, it has added 8 "soft buttons" by the screen which for most purposes act like a touch screen, and are more reliable. It is an Alpine branded system, and in the after market, Alpine has been one of the tops. So having it as the brain for the MB can only be a good thing. From the outside, you wouldn't know that Alpine is now the brain, but it should help with reliability.

Unfortunately, with Euro delivery of a C280, you can't use the Nav system in Europe, since the euro DVD does not work with the American system in the C and CLK cars. I really, really, really wish I had it, as I was lost so many times, and I don't speak enough german to get out of situations like that easily. Plus, with so many cloudy/rainy days, i couldn't even tell which way was north by looking at the sun! So i can't comment on how well it works. But I'm sure it has quirks, like they all do, but I'm also sure it works perfectly. Just read the manual and you should be fine.

You will never regret a nav system. It is pricey, costing over $1000 in real costs ($2200, but it adds residual value). For a 3 year ownership, that's about $1 a day. But I say, if you have a choice between that and the teleaid+entertainment package, the nav is a better choice. The piece of mind, the fact you will never again need to get directions or try to find street signs, or regret a wrong turn (it just reroutes you no matter how many turns you miss), all are stress releivers, and in a world full of driving stress, this is a good thing.

The current DVD nav has a SECOND slot for a single CD for music, so both can be used at once. There is also a mini-jack in the glove box to hook up portable music players like iPods, CDplayers, mini-disk, etc. Works great.

My last car had the bose audio and cd changer, but with the iPod, I never used that pricey option, this time I decided not to spend the money on the upgraded audio. The base system sounds really nice, but I am sure the HK speakers and amplifier, with surround features, is super. I love HK, just had to save money somewhere.

Also, any day now, there will be an iPod integration kit for the C-Class. It will even better integrate the iPod, allowing it to be controlled directly with the steering wheel and the LCD screen next to the odometer and speedometer. very nice. I'm still waiting (it will be an accessory, and can be added at any time, not a factory option).

Teleaid - I don't know. Really read up on it and see if all those features are worth it to you. I would likely never use it, especially with a nav system and a cell phone anyway.

Lighting package - it is brighter. but it also blinds the oncoming drivers. there is actually talk of banning these bright lights as a hazzard. of note was that in germany, the land of fast driving and german engineering, NOBODY had these lights on their mercedes, BMWs, VWs, Audis, etc. Rare, and that should tell you something.

I had them on my Audis, and never really saw them as vital, so the last two MBs I've had don't have them. If you want a bit brighter light, there are aftermarket bulbs you can add that are a bit brighter with a cleaner light than the OEM bulbs the car comes with.

Also, the lighting package has the headlight washers, which I hate. They spray fluid all over the front of the car, and cause it to get more dirty more quickly. That's another reason I don't get the lighting package on the MB.

Sunroof package is nice, if you like sunroofs. it also has a rear sunshade that goes up/down with a button, which can really help in sunset conditions.

Split folding rear seats is always a must for me.

Power driver seat (on C240/280) adds memory settings to the seat and more powered features, so if both you and your husband drive, you can set the seat for each of you. Also, power driver seat adds "auto tilting" side mirror for parking. When in reverse, the right side mirror will tilt down showing you the curb, making it easy to park. I love this feature.

If you don't get the upgraded power seat, both seats still have SOME power features, and the rest are manual. it's more of a convenience thing.

The integrated phone package is cool, but way, way overpriced. Just get a cell phone with a speakerphone built in and save thousands! just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the compliment.

As for the Turanzas, there seems to be a difference between the H and V rated tires. The H seems to hold up better, be quieter, with a better ride. My 17" Z rated Turanzas have handled well, worn well, and at first, they were quiet. I have about 20k miles on them and there is a lot of tread left.

They have loudened up over time however, but the C-Coupe, with the sport suspension and less insulation, is not a quiet car. The C luxury sedan is MUCH quieter. And they are still quieter than 16" continentals, the loudest tires on earth? ;)

Having owned quattro A4s, I know what you mean about the dulling effect. Not so on my S4, nor on my A6 4.2, but on my two A4s I owned, they were not as "peppy" as the same car without quattro. but they were still fine cars.

On the current C280 4matic, you can't even tell there is 4 wheel drive at all. It feels just like a very responsive rear driver, except I never had any slippage or lack of control under some VERY rainy conditions in Germany and Luxembourg. Even through slicks at 100mph, the car just kept a straight line with all wheels in contact with the road. i was very impressed, and am interested to see how they perform in snow.

Since I live in LA, I will have to actively seek snow, ;) but now I want to do that! My A4 quattros were always amazing in Ohio snow, even with the summer Z rated tires.
  • jirehjireh Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for such a detailed analysis.

My dealer has offered me to give a good deal-I am checking it out this weekend. Since I am not very much updated of car details, i was actually wondering why the dealer was trying to get rid of 240 to me!.
    If the deal is a real steal, then i might settle for 240 ... else i am goin to 280..

I have also read from the reviews that the rear seats are not very comfortable and the trunk is also not well designed... Is it true?If yes, is it really really bad for anyone to sit in the rear seats or trunk is too smal to fit a luggage?Please advice.

Thank ya'll once again for the input yo uhave provided.
This discussion has been closed.