Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• annandaleannandale Member Posts: 6
    Is anyone experiencing a whistling noise coming from their roof rack? I've adjusted the rack in several different positions only to get a higher or lower whistle pitch. Maybe someone knows the optimal position to make it go away. The road and engine noise is loud enough, whistle noise just makes it worse. On the plus side the engine noise and road noise drowns out the whistle at 45 mph+.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Unlike the old days, they know customers can easily find information about invoice pricing, so they think of creative new ways to boost the pricing.

So, be creative back: Tell the dealer that, for driving around with the car indefinitely and publicizing the dealership with the decal they place on the back door, you're charging them a $500 advertising fee. (It's a little smarmy, but hey, that's the name of the game, and I've heard of it working before.)

With a new, popular model, however, you may well have little negotiating leverage. Either way, the price they quoted you at sounds fair. I picked up my loaded 4WD LTD for $26.6, about $1300 off MSRP.
    As kdhspyder said, 4WD is really unnecessary at higher speeds (unless you're, say, auto-cross racing on ice or mud). The benefits of a 4WD/AWD system are evident normally only at lower speeds, where the system can shift torque from wheels that slip to those that grip. Or, in very slippery conditions (like loose sand, ice, or snow), provide at least some traction to all wheels to double the normal (2WD) amount of traction available. At higher speeds, the momentum of the vehicle is far outweighs any additional torque the 4WD system can channel to the rear wheels. In those cases, if you really hammer the throttle and the front wheels slip and/or you're taking a sweeping turn, the stability system will be responsible for straightening out the car, since the important goal there is to maintain control and stability, not to enhance traction. Also, disengaging the 4WD system at higher speeds also improves fuel economy.

I'm sure all of this could probably be explained better by a mechanical engineer, but I'm pretty sure that high-speed 4WD is not really necessary.
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    The Yokohama Geolanders are a very good tire. Made for Toyota specifically in that size.. The bridgestones are horrible. I had them on our XL7 and they only lasted 24k miles..

Frank
    not me... No noise at all from the roof rack.. hmmmm
    I am a mechanical engineer and you are correct:)

The 4wd is outweighed by vehicle momental at high speeds.

Frank
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I feel you're frustration.. I work at a Toyota store and on every model they dont announce the pricing until just before it arrives on the lots. Like a day or two before. Base prices yes but details and packages are done at the regional level. I have my feelings why they do it but it's on every model. We just learn to deal with it. Dont kill the messengers ( sales people ) they have no more info than anyone else until a day or two prior. The vehicles show up on our inventories without prices. Suddenly BLAM there're there.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The TDA question. It's been discussed and killed here over and over that's why Edmunds has the disclaimer as do every other internet site.

As Edmunds says its a valid charge and it's not a dealer profit item. It's a regional assessment to the dealers to cover the regional and national advertising. In one region it might be $665 in another 1.5% of invoice in another 2%. It varies by the regional costs. Here's the key question.
    Why is it that Toyota is the only one to break it out and create such a discussion? It's in every Honda invoice and GM invoice and Hyundai invoice but it's buried there just like it's buried in the Sears item you buy and the LL Bean jacket you buy.

Why the heck does Toyota break it out separately and create such confusion?.. I work there and I have no idea. :confuse:

Oh, btw, all the invoice info that you find on the internet comes from......

.... Toyota itself.

It provides all its cost and extras to the public free of charge, thank you. Does your business do that for its customers? Another wierd practice.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Could be the cross-bars are mounted backwards. The thick part should be in the front, thin in the back, like an airplane wing.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Why are people so anxious to know the list price of something you can't buy, you haven't driven or and haven't even sat in or seen in person?
    You already have a rough idea of the prices based on the current pricing of the 2006s. Exact dollar amounts don't matter for something that isn't for sale.
    You can't buy the car a month before, a week before or even a day before they are available to buy. Then the car will be marked up or down from any MSRP amount depending on what people are actually willing to pay.
    Well, if every dealer does it, I guess it's "legitimate" in the sense that it's common practice. But I agree that it's silly that they mention it as a separate line item. In reality, the invoice itself can be misleading, as it ignores potential subsidies (whatever they're called) the manufacturer may give certain regions or dealers based on sales success, so it's all an estimate.
  • jmcmannisjmcmannis Member Posts: 39
    After giving it some thought I'm thinking of going for the LTD. I think having the leather wrapped wheel with audio controls and the automatic climate controls outweigh having the darker interior, sport suspension, and 18" wheels. The steering wheel audio controls is something I had decided would be a nice plus on my next vehicle. And lately I've grown tired of fighting with my climate controls. Seems like it's always too hot or too cold and I'm always adjusting. I just wish the local dealers would have more to look at. I'm going to call all of them Sat morning just to verify what they have. I've also made contact with a salesman at Fitzgerald Auto Mall even though it's about 4 hours away. My closest dealer won't sell at anything less than MSRP. Might be worth the drive to save some $$.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Except when you want to slow down and/or stear on a slippery surface, at that point you're likely to wish for engine compression braking at the rear, not the front.
  • ohwhatafeelingohwhatafeeling Member Posts: 15
    Why am I anxious? Because I am stuck in a position where I can't know one before I have to act on the other. It wouldn't matter one whit if the Highlander had its $1000 promotion running, say, in March. I feel like I have to make a decision without full information and that is frustrating to me.

It's not that I blame toyota or am angry. Nor have I taken out any of these frustrations on any sales person to whom I've spoken. And there have been many in the past few weeks as I bring this car-buying endeavor to its final stage. I'm just frustrated that I there's an unknowable factor out there that would NOT be the case if the Rav4 I wanted was available in the same month as the promotion I wanted. Do I feel that I'm owed that? No. But I would like it.

Rarely do things overlap just as they should, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

I think if I want a clear answer I'll go ahead with the Highlander, but if I'm wiling to risk features and availablility of my ideal Rav4, then I wait until March and take my chances. It's not my ideal situation. Especially when I'm looking at shelling out more than $30,000. Cash. Right out of my checking account.

Am I upset at Toyota? Or its salespeople? Nope. And, just so we're clear, I've never vented any of these frustrations on any salespeople who I know either have the information or they do not. I just would like more information and it is frustrating when I cannot get that information right when the decision is being made.

I came here because I was hoping someone might have clear information on the features and upcoming availability of the precise model I'm looking at purchasing because nobody at the dealerships seems to know much about it yet. It seems as if everybody is somewhat in the dark until the day it comes out. So be it. Live and learn.

Oh, and as for the person who wanted to know why anybody would want a third row in either a Rav or a HL, well, for someone like me (slender/medium height chick), it would be perfect. In the HL, I had at least two inches to spare in front of my knees. Most of my girlfriends would also fit nicely in the third row. Their husbands? Not so much. But I've never once had a car full of tall men. There's always at least two people who fit the specs to sit in the back. Goodness knows, if there are seven people going someplace, invariably I'm one of the two picked to fit in the back and by this point I've been in enough Pilots and Highlanders to know. The only car I've had trouble fitting into the "optional" row is in the Lexus SC430. That's just a joke.
  • diegodoodediegodoode Member Posts: 4
    Is it safe to say that they aren't going to make many flint mica colors for the base version. I got a good deal on a base 2wd 4cyl silver. The salesman told me he has an outlook of a month and a half and flint mica isn't going to be coming in. Perhaps, it'll only be for the sports version?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One thing you can do is figure out how much the car is worth to you and focus on your out the door price. That way you can just ignore the line items completely.

Steve, Host
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Are you sure it isn't just the "lock mode" that disengages at speeds over 25?
    not to mention the 8 way power seat with adjustable air bladder lumbar support only on the Limited too:)

Frank
    that is correct. Flint mica is only available on the Sport version
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    I have driven both the base and Sport AWD and both seem nice. One thing I noticed is that the AWD can be locked on at low speed but there is no switch to turn stability control on and off. I have a 2003 Audi with Quattro and when I first got it,I found it to be worse than my 2000 in "deep" snow, say 6" or more. We don't get much snow in this part of NY! Audi has a switch and warning light to turn ESC off. With it off the car is terrific at low speed in snow. My guess is the ESC is reducing power to slipping wheels and reducing overall slow speed traction/thrust.

I suppose it is safer for the multitudes to not be able to switch stability control off and then forget it is off at higher speeds. But it would be handy to have that feature.
    How is engine braking more helpful than ABS for decelerating from speed and steering? ABS provides essentially the same benefit--slowing down but not locking the wheels--without burdening the engine to get involved. And stability control complements the picture by ensuring the vehicle travels where you're pointing it (whether braking or not) by pulsating each brake as needed to steer the car. Engine braking is not nearly that capable.
    In 6 inches of snow, I suspect the Audi's much lower ground clearance contributed to its limitations. Also, tires are extremely important with regard to traction; no matter how capable a 4/AWD system is, if the tires are not up to the task, then it doesn't matter how many wheels you're applying power to.

I agree, though, that being able to switch of the stability control system would be helpful in low-speed crawls; it's too bad Toyota doesn't offer this.
    don't forget what what and who the new Rav4 was built.. Your avarage person who needs a vehicle to be an all weather driver. Much like a Subaru.. Not an off road crawler..

Frank
  • ticmxmanticmxman Member Posts: 48
    Which would you choose the pricing is very similar with the HL incentives.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    There is no switch, but there is a trick to turn off ESP on the Lexus IS, for instance. It's intended for mechanics to use for testing, but the secret is out, I guess.

Full-time systems are better for engine braking down a long incline, for instance, but the AWD should be adequate for average needs.

-juice
    What trick? Removing the fuse?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    No, some procedure, hit this 6 times, then do that, then this again, really weird.

-jucie
  • 01mdx01mdx Member Posts: 45
    I am not 100% sure on the RAV4 but on my MDX the AWD is available at the higher speeds when slip is detetected. It's just the lock that cannot be engaged at higher speeds. Again, I am not sure if the RAV4 system is the same but I suspect that it is.
  • edgoredgor Member Posts: 31
    My wife and I saw a flint mica and thought it was pretty ugly. It looked much better in the brochure than it did live.
    Nothing that I have ever driven beats Audi Quatto in bad weather or snow with all weather tires. The RAV4 is a bargin but it is not perfect. I doubt that anyone here has even had a chance to drive it in the snow.

And I still wish the RAV VSC had an on-off switch.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    ...sounds like a good price for an EX V. Much less than you will pay for the (MSRP+) new RAV. Plus the EX is AWD and you were looking at a 2WD RAV. Remember the V was regarded as the king of the hill by many until just recently when the new RAV came out. It liklely will lose the crown.... at least until the new V comes out in late spring or fall....then all bets are off. As far as buying the used V and needing a 'new' one 2 years from now; that seems rediculous unless you always 'want' a newer car. I mean either of these should give you years of use. If you want something new every three years, by an American one, save thousands and dump it every few years...or even lease one. I would not worry about domestic depreciation either because, while the Domestics carry a high MSRP and the used ones look to be about half that after a very short time; remember the domestics are GREATLY discounted...not many pay anywhere near the MSRP so I really do not think depreciation is as huge a factor as some make it to be. In fact here is how low depreciation is working against me. I have a 95 RAV w80K miles right now. Edmunds private sale value is about $5800. I have had many lookers but few can muster up the money...they want ME to finance...yea right! One guy even said he'd pay more at a dealer for a higher milaged one just to get financing. It seams folks looking for a 10 year old car are looking to spend $4K not $6K. So, depreciation does not always work in your favor if folks can not afford your car when its older!

I think it more a matter of new vs used, good luck on your decision....can always get the V, keep it a few years until the new Rav kinks are worked out and get the new Rav when it gets its first face lift!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Your anti-lock braking system actually alleviates wheel lockup by "releasing", modulating the brake pad pressure, on the rotors using PWM (Pulse Width Modulation)techniques.

With a substantial level of engine compression braking on the front (drive) wheels you can potentially reach a point on a slippery roadbed at lower speeds that the front wheels will lockup due to engine braking.

Engine braking on a RWD in these conditions is not exactly a good thing to have happen but does not remove your ability to maintain directional control with ABS at the front.

I suspect that's one of the reasons Toyota and Lexus transaxles seem to be upshifting during coastdown situations just before coming to a full stop.

The AAA is currently advising owners to learn to quickly shift into neutral (absent a clutch) in these circumstances.
  • nedkellynedkelly Member Posts: 18
    Definitely wanting a V6 Sport. Only wish there were more options available. Bundling "options" as standard on the Limited and not offering them as options for the Sport is stupid.
  • larneslarnes Member Posts: 59
    I've adjusted the rack in several different positions only to get a higher or lower whistle pitch. Maybe someone knows the optimal position to make it go away. The road and engine noise is loud enough, whistle noise just makes it worse. On the plus side the engine noise and road noise drowns out the whistle at 45 mph+.

If you don't use the roof rack very much, try removing the crossbars. Anything that sticks out in the wind is going to have some affect on aerodynamics.

It seems that road/wind noise is in the ear of the occupants. Some folks on this forum say the RAV4 with the 4-banger is quiet when others say it isn't. I guess we all have to make that judgement for ourselves. When I travel, I want QUIET! Constant cabin noise, regardless of it's cause can drain you over the course of a long trip. :sick:
  • hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    larnes said:
    When I travel, I want QUIET! Constant cabin noise, regardless of it's cause can drain you over the course of a long trip.

I usually just turn up the stereo! ;)
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Anybody taken their new Rav4 off road yet? If I buy one of these (waiting for the v6) I'll probably try to fit a set of slightly larger BF Goodrich All Terrain TA/KO tires on her.
  • jonpnjjonpnj Member Posts: 52
    100 % correct. Only thing that comes close is the system in the Subarus. Not knocking the RAV4, but its 4WD system is crude. In 95% of the situations, most people won't notice it. Audi is the standard by which most systems are judged. I still have high hopes for the RAVs success. I believe the v6 version loaded, will be an excellent buy. Nothing in that size segment comes close in power/performance for the asking price.
    I'll find out next week when my Sport comes in. We should have some more snow by then also.
    I had the BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's on my Jeep years ago. Great tires!
  • era174era174 Member Posts: 67
    Only thing that comes close is the system in the Subarus.

Yes, that's why I chose my Subaru Legacy and saved around $8k (Audi A4 Quattro).
    crude? How so? With traction control, stability control, full time 4wd how 'crude' is that? I think your thinking of the past gen Rav. BIG difference..
    Frank
    What make and model tires came on your 2006 RAV4?
    Since I started some of this VSC on off switch stuff, I am wondering how the RAV4 "on demand" AWD really works. If at slow speed I can "lock" the system in AWD then my potential complaint about not being able to turn VSC off to aid in deep snow traction may not be meaningful. I remember the sales guy telling me when I drove the Sport AWD that it is not good to lock it in AWD on a dry road. I think this implies the AWD/VSC/EBS does not interfere with full drive to each wheel at low speed.

I am assuming that the AWD works as FWD all the time it is not locked and then if the front wheels begin to slip, the system starts to send more power up to maybe 40-50% to the rear wheels to maintain thrust/speed/traction. Is this correct? If so it sounds like a pretty good system even to an Audi driver like me.
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    After doing a lot of reading both on this site and Toyo's literature, I have to confess that I'm unclear about how the new RAV's 4WD system works. Is it on demand .. meaning that similar to Honda's "real time" when loss of traction is detected it automatically sends power to the rear wheels? Or is power only provided to the rear when you electronically engage the system?

I seem to remember reading a post from someone who said he drove his new RAV in 8" of snow and got stuck .. engaged the 4 wheel system and pulled away. If that is true, this is strictly an on demand deal. I've owned Subie's for the last 7 years (Forester & WRX) and while I understand there is a minor MGP price to pay for full time AWD it sure spoils you driving on wet/snowy roads.
    - hutch
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Interesting, we were on the same topic at the same time. Didn't see your post when I was writing mine.
    I am assuming that the AWD works as FWD all the time it is not locked and then if the front wheels begin to slip, the system starts to send more power up to maybe 40-50% to the rear wheels to maintain thrust/speed/traction. Is this correct? If so it sounds like a pretty good system even to an Audi driver like me.

That is the way it works. It's "On-Demand 4WD" with a manual
    4-Wheel lock switch. So, if you get into deep snow and
    the On-Demand doesn't get you through it...you hit the switch for extra traction. Once your out and headed down the road, that manual switch will automatically disengage when you hit 25 mph.
    Jim I got lucky and got the Yokohama geolanders.. The other ones you can get are the Bridgestones duelers. Not a good tire..

Frank
    This is correct.. + you have traction control to pick the tire with the most traction..
    correct. its on demand much like the Honda and Audi system
  • cruiser10cruiser10 Member Posts: 12
    I read where Toyota has gone away with the auto trans. dipstick on these 06 RAV4's making the DIY fluid change a bit more challenging. Can any of the new owners verify this?
  • nedkellynedkelly Member Posts: 18
    The 05 has a hood scoop. Why not put one on the sport version of the 06?

Anyone know why or if there will be one in the future?