Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    I totally agree with you! Unfortunately, ObywannaTundra and Quad do not agree! Even though they both own GM Lemons, they insist on posting in the Tundra forums.

They got stung buying their $30,000(or $40,000) Lemonados. They are trying to resolve their pain by bashing Toyotas. Please give them the pity they deserve!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    bama maybe you missed post #950 but what state was your truck built in? If i am not mistaken it was built in indiana. The state i live in and OH yea my silverado was built in the same very state.

"Why would any red-blooded american want to buy a foreign built truck?"

So when did indiana become a foreign nation?
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    Seems like every thread I visit on this site involves some sort of dicussion about the Chevy.
    What's with that? I've given up on the Big 3 and yet still they haunt my threads!
    i apologize but i cannot let misinformation be spread throughout topics.
  • mr620mr620 Member Posts: 60
    you have to forgive those gm boys because owning gm trucks and jumping threads to threads to bash others are the most patriotic things they have ever done in their lives.

Oh they says toyota parts are made in japan. Little do they know that the nickel, copper, aluminium and plastic likely came from north american soil. I'm sure japan don't have these material.

Hey obyone, quad, etc, keep those truck and suv orders coming, and keep buying new one every 2 years because we canadian just loves those US dollars.
    What misformation? Many Shakerados are built in Canada. You have to accept this simple facr.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    Now obyone is criticizing people for not answering any questions related to their truck! obyone, how many times have you done the same, using your dumb old Tacoma side-impact rating anytime somebody addressed you regarding GMC trucks?

Funny you get so hot and bothered about a hypothetical situation, like trucks made in Afghanistan. You must truly live in a hypothetical world, where trucks that spend 4 months a year at the dealership are the best trucks money can buy...
    at least I can drive my truck 12 months a year, not 8 months a year like you. For safety's sake, your best argument is your truck isn't on the road 33.3% of the time 'cuz it's at the dealership on a lift...
    advertised "as the most dependable, longest lasting trucks on the road" need "corrections" AND an extended warranty, especially when new?

Sidestepping into the past? The past is a good indication of the future. Your NEW truck was plagued with problems that took 4 months to fix, what the HELL makes you think it will "improve" with time and more miles???

This is all TOO FUNNY! It's obvious you're only here trying to justify your purchase of that LEMON!!!

Oh yeah, did that 4 months at the dealership solve your truck's tendency to crumple like styrofaom in a collision that was so clearly illustrated by the IIHS' crash test?
    Why does a Chevy lemon owner whose truck spends a third of the year in the shop bother lurking around Tundra threads anyway?
    Hey! I would buy a pickup made in Afghanistan. I have no problems with Afghanistan or its people. Osama Bin Ladin is another matter!
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Got a little break from the war. Dropped plenty of iron on rocks, dirt and plenty of tallyman/ al-queerda b#stards.
    I see domestic terrorism is alive and well. Got the same chev zealots terrorizing Tundra topics. Who's the lamo that blasted nadahi12? Why would buying a well built truck from Afghanistan be bad? The Afghan people are more supportive of our fight against the terrorist than many "educated" Americans.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    By the way,
    My Tundra missed me while I was gone. We had a great fun making up for lost time when I got back ;)
  • mr620mr620 Member Posts: 60
    They can't afford their work horse 4 months a year in a shop. http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/ap/20011216/wl/1008533528afghanistan_attacks_tbf102.html
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    "The truth finally surfaces. You are entitled to your opinion. But the lack of sensitivity in your posts makes me wonder if you were one of the terrorists involved in the atrosity against America."

WOW. It amazes me the extent that people would go to put down another person. So now I am a terrorist. How funny. You are a man not worth having an argument with. You probably do not have two IQ points to rub together to keep warm in winter. YIKES. What a moron
    Please stop posting in our threads. The deal was that we will stop posting in your Rado problem thread and you will not post in our Tundra thread. Come on guys, honor the deal. This thread is for Tundra owners. Please leave us alone.
    As a new Tundra owner I want to hear from the guy's driving '00's with 36K on them, not Big 3 owners who can't live with their mistakes! By the way I sold my '97 "mistake" and bought a Tundra!
    I agree totally! When some unfortunate Chev owners start posting in this topic - It just shows how weak their "mini-size" pickups are. It just shows that Tundra hit its mark.
    I agree with you. I want to hear from Tundra owners who have had their trucks longer than I had mine. I am NOT interested in hearing from Big 3 owners bashing the Tundra. I have heard all that you guys have to say. It is begining to sound like a broken record.

Please leave this thread for TUNDRA owners only.
    Let's see:
    1) I could buy a US built pickup (Tundra)

2) or a truck built in Canada (the GM Denial).

Tough choice!
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    I've only joined this thread recently, because I'm in the market for a truck and I want to know what Tundra owners think of their trucks. If you have no experience with the Tundra, then I don't need your opinion about them, thank you. Go start a tread titled, "Toyota Tundra vs. Chevy Silverado." It probably exists, so please leave this one.

When Host get's into the office Monday, he's going to delete most of the last 30 posts anyway.

I ask my question again: Tundra owners, the reviews say one of the Tundra's weaknesses is its lack of options found on the big three; things like heated mirrors/seats, lumbar, etc. How do you feel about this? Do you miss these creature comforts? I'd like to hear especially from you guys who live where there's seasons and snow.
    Why bash the Tundra because it's the smallest of the "full-sized" trucks? Size is a personal choice. Some love the Tundra's size because it's more drivable and maneuverable in urban settings. I'd call that an advantage. Although it could use a tighter turn radius IMO.

Any Tundra driver put baby seats or child booster seats in the extra cab? Is there enough room for the tykes back there and still leave enough leg room up front for driver and passenger?

Another question - front buckets vs. split bench - what do you prefer? Thanks!
  • jparentejparente Member Posts: 9
    I just bought my 2002 Tundra about 1 month ago so my opinion isn't based on a lot of months of ownership experience but here goes.

I was in the market for a truck that could tow my boat. We had settled on the Ford SuperCrew and I thought I'd test drive a Tundra to "just to say I did". I was so impressed 2 blocks from the dealership I knew it was for me. I've owned an 1998 F150 and liked it (with some reservations)... there are so many things about the Tundra that set it ahead.

The IForce engine is smooth and powerful, ride is quiet and composed, fit and finish is first class. I'm not bothered with not having a plethora of options to choose from; mine came with about everything you can add to an SR5. Toyota is directing this truck to a specific buying segment and has done a great job of addressing the most desirable configuration. I think the equipment on the truck is what I expected...I don't think the lack of heated mirrors or lumbar adjustment would have stopped me from buying it. The ride, engine, quiet interior and handling sold me. This truck flat out moves! Plus, Toyota build quality and reliability are very important to me. Crash test aside, what IS important is how you drive it and being sane on the road.

I'm actually liking the smaller size of the truck and personally I never intended to put people in the back seats. I've used the bed extender for holding packages and also extended for longer cargo and it is a versatile option.

I think Toyota is being cautious with this truck and as they continue to evolve it you will begin to see more options and engine choices. An automaker can't be all things to all people and for a majority of us the Tundra fits perfectly for our needs.

For OBYONE, buy what YOU like and makes you happy. In the end that is all that is important and contributing to the childish bashing of other vehicles doesn't do much for the spirit or intent of these forums.
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    I own a 2000 Tundra and I have almost 30k miles on it now. I prefer the captains chairs, which is what I have on my truck. They are very comfortable on long trips. The truck warms up quickly and living in Southern California I don't really need seat or mirror warmers. The cloth seats are nice and cozy after a few seconds sitting on them anyway. If you have leather buy a set of sheepskin covers-my wife has them in her car and they are nice and warm in the winter and cool during the summer (they also don't leave any lint on your clothes).

I don't have children but I have ridden in the back for short periods and it is perfectly fine for two adults back there for short trips.

I had to take it in for a brake vibration around 10k miles, the dealerhsip had it less than one day and the problem hasn't resurfaced. The Tundra is the quietest, smoothest, most comfortable truck I've ever driven/ridden in. I highly recommend it.

I also can't figure out why the chevy yahoos keep lurking around in this forum. They clearly contribute nothing except to tout the reliability of their trucks-only spending four months in the shop every year. I guess that's some kind of a record for a chevy.
    "I ask my question again: Tundra owners, the reviews say one of the Tundra's weaknesses is its lack of options found on the big three; things like heated mirrors/seats, lumbar, etc. How do you feel about this? Do you miss these creature comforts? I'd like to hear especially from you guys who live where there's seasons and snow."

I have had my truck for over a month now. It is a 2002 4X2 with the cc, vp, lsd, al, floor mats, hitch, fog lights, and delux cd/cass/radio.

The Captian Chairs HAVE a lumbar adjustment knob for the dirver for 2002. I do not know about the 2001. I do not think that the bench seats have that option. So get the Captian Chairs and that will take careof the lumbar support.

As for the heated mirrors, it is an option that I do not need in SoCal. And fankly I do not miss it even when it is cold and it is raining. I do not have leather seats. I never liked that option, especially on a truck. It takes a lot of time to keep leather seats maintained. I love the cloth ones. They stick to you and keep you in place.

The truck is simply awesome. I did not like the stock shocks. I felt they were too soft. So I replaced them with HD Bilestin shocks. These are even stiffer than the stock bilestin with the TRD package. Even with these shocks the truck rides smoothly. It does not wallow like the stock one. And you feel more in control on rough roads.

The rear seat is cramped. That is a fact. I am a single man and I do not use the rear seat anyway. But there is room for little children back there. For adults it becomes hard on long trips.

I highly recommend the truck. This truck is perfect for the urban jungle. The size is just right for my needs.
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    This happened to my Tundra once on startup. Loud, ugly sounding and bluish white smoke came out of the exhaust. I shut it down instantly.

I checked everything over and gave it a second try. All better. Hasn't happened again since.

All I can figure is that it had something to do with the weather - heavy rain on the day before followed by a very hard freeze overnight. Some coincidence with that and how the engine was configured when I shut it off the night before.

In either case, that was about 2000 miles and one oil change ago. Hasn't recurred but I'm watching it.

Anybody else? How about a possible explanation that doesn't involve guessing?

Jeff
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    And I sort of regret it. Given the choice all over again I'd go with the captains seats. I did carry six people once and actually used the middle of the bench. 3 adults in front and 3 kids in back... which I could not have done with the captains seats. But that was once in 18000 miles of driving. Hardly worth the lack of adjustments you give up daily.
    white smoke on startup especially when it is cold out is normal. I do not know where you are from but any vehicle here (indiana) that sits out overnight in the below 30 degree weather will have white smoke until the engine warms up. itll go away when you hit the gas but when you are idling itll smoke. Completely normal i forget the exact reason

On the other hand blue smoke = oil burning. Doesnt sound like this was your problem it was probably just because it was cold out

Ryan
    Thanks jparente/f1jules/ndahi12/duckshooter for the good feedback. My last truck was a '93 Ranger STX 4X4, and I really miss it. When we buy a house, I'm definitely going truck again. I'm very impressed by the quality of my '99 Toyota Sienna, and I, too, loved the engine of the Tundra.

I'm glad to hear the '02 has lumbar, and as long as I garage the truck, I can live w/o heated mirrors and seats, probably. I like BIG (aka Chevy), but my wife likes small. She wants me to get a compact pickup again, but she does like the Tundra.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I've got the captains chairs and like them for the storage space. What I don't like is the inability of my girl friend to get closer. Single men may want to keep that in mind when choosing seats. There are certain things that can't be accomplished with captains chairs... if you know what I mean.
    Those giant Ford Superduty F350, long bed 4x4s are nice but I wouldn't trade my Tundra reliability for one. The Tundra fits in a standard size garage and it's easy to maneuver and park also, which is a plus.

I suppose if I needed a truck capable of towing or hauling the weights that an F-350 can haul I would have bought one. I don't though so thankfully I didn't have that limitation imposed on me when making my choice in trucks.
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    Stickshifts and safetybelts
    Bucket seats have all got to go
    When we're driving in the car
    It makes my baby seem so far
    I need you here with me
    Not way over in a bucket seat
    I need you to be here with me
    But when we're driving in my Malibu
    It's easy to get right next to you
    I say, "Baby, scoot over, please"
    And then she's right
    There next to me
    I need you here with me

Well a lot of
    Good cars are Japanese
    But when we're driving far
    I need my baby
    I need my baby next to me

Well, stickshifts and safetybelts
    Bucket seats have all got to go
    When we're driving in the car
    It makes my baby seem so far
    I need you here with me
    You're missing the obvious - truck bed!! A double sized air matress and camper shell is all you need. Shell is optional depending on how adventuous you are.
    Wondering where the max. payload stat comes from. Is it based on the stock set up or off-road suspension? Most full-sized pick ups have max payload from 1300-1600 pounds. F-150 has 2600 lbs. Why the difference? Two HD Softails in the bed will max out the Tundra!!
  • natureboy1natureboy1 Member Posts: 55
    He's like a big child who probably stays up late at night and when his wife finally goes to bed hauls out his old Star Wars figures from underneath his bed to play with them...

May the iForce be with you!!!!!!!

I like that one!!!
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    The off road suspension does not affect the payload capacity, at least not according to our Souce Book.
    I would suggest to anyone who is going to haul around two HD motorcycles on a regular basis to use a trailer rather than load them in the pickup bed. It's much safer that way no matter which truck you use.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    >This happened to my Tundra once on startup. Loud, ugly sounding and bluish white smoke came out of the exhaust. I shut it down instantly.<

I'd email you, but no email addy...

Ryan said white smoke at startup in cold climate is normal. But I think he means the kind that results from condensate, ie water vapor.

But you said (loud). If it made a (bang) when it started, just before you shut it down, you need to be at least aware of a possible head gasket/sealing problem. This happend to me in 1978 on a 5 year old Datsun 240Z. Started with a single bang, but ran fine afterwards. But it recurred over several days or weeks (no money those days), finally culiminating in a big blast with white-bluish smoke pouring from the exhaust. Blown head gasket.

Telltale signs will be oil floating on top of your coolant, or a milky white/gray swirls in your motor oil. Hope I'm wrong, but SOMETHING told you to shut it down, post the query in here. Might be advisable to check the torque on the head bolts. All it takes is a few drops to weep into the cylinder overnight.
    I got the bench with my "02 SR5 4X4 (w/TRD) so I could haul the kiddies and pals to the lake while towing the boat. I've had six in the truck several times now. My neighbor has the buckets and we both agree that BOTH configurations are comfortable. If I didn't need the six pax capability I'd probably go with the capts chairs.
    I think I'd avoid the bench w/ leather.
    Yeah, I only WISH I had two Harleys!! I do haul two motocross bikes in the bed, but at well under 250 lbs. each, there's no problem. I may haul a half ton of lanscaping rocks once or twice, though. BTW, does that weigh more than a half ton of feathers?
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    How about a half ton of birds? Would you be lighter if you keep half of them hovering in mid air?
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    Do you know where the Sienna's are made for the US market ???

Ontario, Canada !

I'm proud of our country, too! My question is ... if we follow your thinking, why should Canadians buy trucks & cars made in the USA ?

rcoos
    Wrong. The Sienna is made in Kentucky. The Solara and Corollas are made in Canada.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    >Hey obyone, quad, etc, keep those truck and suv orders coming, and keep buying new one every 2 years because we canadian just loves those US dollars.<

As well you should, since a U.S. dollar goes farther in your country than a Canadian dollar goes in ours.
    Yeah, I've hauled a fair amount of lumber, three 10' tall palm trees, firewood and other home improvement stuff along with my surfboards, bikes and dog. Truck also comes in handy for shooting trips out in the desert.

Gee, I'm guessing that a 1/2 ton of feathers and 1/2 ton of rocks weigh the same-a 1/2 ton. Duh.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    The main limiting factor for payload determination is the rear axle. If you look at a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton without the body and the thing that sticks out is the axle size.
    That makes sense. Wonder why Ford beef's up payload so much on the F-150, then. It's 1000 lbs. more than the others. There's even an option for a 7,700 lb. gross weight.
  • controlgodcontrolgod Member Posts: 14
    I just got word last night that my '02 SR5 4WD arrived yesterday afternoon. I can't wait to go get it. This will make for a VERY MERRY Holiday.

I'd like to thank those that gave me some very helpful info.

I'd also like to Wish everyone a Wonderful and Joyous Holiday Season and hope only for the best for you and yours.

Tony K.
    How is your SR5 equipped? What color?
    Since this is my first conventional 4WD truck (I had an AWD Subaru) I'm just wondering when most folks use 4WD HI. I used it the other day in heavy rain pulling out of a side street because I knew I'd spin the rear otherwise. Anyone have any insight?