Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The '02 Camry dipped to "Average" reliability per CR, as I recall. So even the mighty have teething issues.

-juice
  • sbhullsbhull Member Posts: 3
    A dealer told me that the V6 will require premium fuel. Does anyone know if that's true?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    All toyota V6 cars ..'recommend' premium. It's your choice. You only have to use 87 but a lot of people, me included, use 89. This has been the guidance for years.
    Is this the same engine as the IS350? Because the IS350 is tuned to make 308hp, and I think in that case premium fuel might actually be a requirement.

But at about 40 fewer horses, I bet this V6 will do fine on regular. Maybe lose 4-5 horses if the ECU has to retard the ignition timing.

-juice
  • lessbslessbs Member Posts: 13
    Yep-about 2000 RPM at 70
    The dealer claimed that all I need is regular for the V6 I just purchased in Seattle. For the only fill-up I've done so far, I put the middle grade in and will continue to do that. The car came with about 3/4 full tank with regular, however, and ran fine.
    A friend just bought a Sport, 4 banger-AWD, in black in Seattle.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    OK so give us some MPG numbers when you can.
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    the 6 runs on regular.
  • wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    Sounds like more than full sticker to me.
    V6 Sport = 25,190
    DJ-CD Player = 200
    Daytime running lights = 40
    Moonroof = 900
    TO-Towing Prep = 160
    That comes to $26,490 plus the cost of the floor mats.

The invoice price for the above would be $23,950

P.S Don't forget to deduct your sales tax for the RAV4 in your Federal Income tax. I think this is the last year.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Not the same engine. Engines for front drive cars and rear drive cars are usually not interchangable.
    I think you forgot the $650 transportation etc charge from Toyota?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    True, the '01 Rav dropped the first year too. BUT, the reasons were the following: 1. From Consumer's Reports, they had a black or half black dot in the section about "body integrity." This was mainly because of the "rattle" from the cowl in front of the windshield. Problem solved under warranty years ago, been perfect ever since. 2. The brakes had a black or half black mark also. But this was because they were noisy, not a safety or wear issue. Toyota put out a TSB for this, and we got new (quiet) brakes under warranty!! So, were these two bad marks really a big problem? Not at all. So, I would feel pretty comfortable with a first year from Toyota, but probably not from other makes.
    Well I will try to get mine late this year so I do not have to help them de-bug the RAV4 and the new factory!
  • hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    Well, next month Consumer Reports annual auto issue will be out. I imagine the new Rav4's will be listed in it.
  • jackj1jackj1 Member Posts: 4
    the test data (hp and mpg) are obtained using premium (91 octane) gas. If u use 87 octane, it's fine, but it will be 7hp and 1mpg less. This is why EPA's mpg is 1 less than what's on the manu. EPA use 87 for the test.

I called toyota company, and obtained above info.
  • orioninilorioninil Member Posts: 39
    Production doesn't begin until 2008 in the new Canadian Plant. This is good since it indicates that Toyota is still backing the RAV4 in the future.

I believe the idea that the Highlander will become a Hybrid-only model and the newly designed RAV4 will be there to fulfill the needs of the 4-cylinder and V6 gas-only crowd.

I am not really sure why some are looking at the 2006 Rav4 4-cylinder as a 1st year model.

Is it the new chassis that is the major concern?

I would be (and am a little) more concerned about the V6 - since they do not have any history on this engine in this vehicle (old chassis or new).

The only thing to help confort is the engine's history in the Avalon.
    Well if your numbers are correct I think it means we might as well use premium. If I average say, 22MPG and loose 1 MPG with regular then I loose 4.5%x$2.65/gal=12 cents for each gallon of regular I use. $2.65+.12=$2.77 which is getting close to the cost of premium I think and enjoy the the 7 HP once in a while.
    So the engine is different - are they not even related? I realize they'd be mounted with a different orientation (transverse for FWD, longitudinal for RWD), but are the blocks the same?

I would not dismiss a rattly dash and squeeky brakes, as those can be among the most annoying problems you could have. I guess they won't leave you stranded somewhere, but it's still a concern. At least they provided solutions for both.

Does Toyota actually publish different mileage numbers than the EPA does? Can they do that? I would think they would publish EPA estimates, since that is industry standard.

-juice
    So today the Fizmall site shows about 4 V6s "comming soon". It will be interesting to see how long it takes and how long they last.

Toyota is a crazy place. In NY you cannot get a Sport with airbag option. In FL, you cannot get V6 with tow prep package.
    That's bizarre, the 4 cyl isn't rated to tow much, so why offer the package at all if the V6 won't get it?

-juice
    Again it's because the regions do their own marketing and Toyota leaves it to the local districts to decide how to configure the vehicles.

Things can change if enough want or dislike something strongly. Example, the new body 4Runner originally came out with the black/grey rubber clad overfenders. Women took one look and said 'uggggly' or 'Jeep/Avaalanche' and walked their partners in another direction. The market spoke and 4 months later all the new 4Runners had the painted overfenders and sales skyrocketed. It took us 10 months to blow outthe last of the 'rubber' overfenders. This was a national reaction. Regionally you will just have to make your preferences known to the local store, or the regional office directly, and see how many others have the same reaction.

It is a simple democracy in this regard. If most people like the status quo, it remains. If most people want a change or two, it will be done.
    Sounds like nonsense to me!

Why would people in NY not want side bags and people in MD want them? I guess they do not have bad accidents in NY and do not want to tow boats with a V6 in Florida.

It is not democracy when someone else decides what you can buy with your money.
    I think the reaction you are seeing is that there may be a perceived belief that you can actually configure your own vehicle due to the web page options (both the Toyota site and other related sites).

However the reality is that the regions will order the option packages that they believe will be the best sellers in their marketplaces.

It is very difficult to get an exact build to order vehicle (unless you are willing to wait and the dealer is willing to order it for you).

The dealers are reluctant to "inventory" odd or customized vehicles since it may be more difficult for them to quickly turn their inventory.

They rely on the fact they they will be able to "sell-up" to a higher option (or in some cases, sell-down).

Someone on this thread said it best a few weeks ago, all vehicles will require you to compromise...and I add, that there is no silver bullet.
    Well the V6 gets tow prep in MD but not in FL. Simple huh?
    Well I don't want to configure anything. I would just like to buy a Sport V6 in NY with same options that I can get on a a V6 in MD.

Oh well never mind...
    Since I'm in CAT I agree. I also will only buy a vehicle with ALL the safety features. The regions do their marketing and then each store does it's own as well.

I'm from NY originally, Upstate, then NYC then No.Jersey. I only started working for Toyota when I came down here. Working here I have found that the local differences are significant even within one region.

One of the key factors in putting unsold expensive product on the market is how fast will it sell. If the NY region has determined, and I'm only guessing, that the buyers are let's say 'frugal' and dont want anything extra on their vehicles. That's what sells the quickest. Then most of the incoming unsold inventory will be spec'd this way.

The region is responsible for lets say 100+ stores and each one is going to get 4-5 units every 15 days. If they spec them wrong, see 4Runner example, then these sit while all the other regions blow out every vehicle that comes in. In Toyota's system each store/region that doesnt move it's allocation each period loses vehicles in the next allocation. If they spec out unsold items with too many features that the local population doesnt want then they risk having excess inventory.

Vote with your feet, CAT, or make your opinion known locally. If enough do so then things do change.
    i agree with you. Anyway, it's not too much difference. The 7Hp off is from the max HP (269) of V6, so if in normal driving, you don't feel it. If I choose, i still use 87. According to combined highway and local drive, about 24MPG average, I lose 1MPG means about 4%. The gas price in my area is 2.19 for 87 and 2.39 for 91, so it's 9% increase. I still need to pay about 10c more a gallon for a slightly increase of hp.
  • mojavemojave Member Posts: 3
    When will the V6 RAV4 be out in Southern California??

Should they call the V6 model the RAV6??
    4 stands for 4wd. Actually 2wd should be called RAV2.
    I've always said that, since 1996, but noone listens to me. :D

-juice
  • mojavemojave Member Posts: 3
    What about V6's in Southern California???
    some guy here from SoCal says he is driving a V6 RAV4 now.
  • vsoarsvsoars Member Posts: 3
    Is $500 off sticker price a V6 a good deal? It has what I want and just a few extras. The V6's in TX are coming in with 2WD+ tow pack. That's what I need. I'd be willing to go get the vehicle in another region if necessary.
    To be verified.. but it appears that the V6's will arrive on the EC only at the end of Mar / early Apr.!!! This may explain why some stores have little or no info on them while some seem to have them arriving shortly. Might be worth a call to see how close the arrival is actually.

Word-of-mouth and universally favorable reviews seem to be spreading the word on the new RAV. We just sold out after having 8 on the lot for two weeks.. suddenly gone..
  • bill119bill119 Member Posts: 17
    I ordered a V6 AWD Limited at 500 off sticker here in Northeast PA. I found out today that it will be delivered at the end of the month, which I understand is the first shipment to the Keystone State. It seemed like a good deal to me as a number of the other dealerships here were not willing to budge off sticker price. This will be my first Toyota, I suppose I am taking a bit of a risk with it being a new design, but I remain optimistic. I will keep you all posted.
    Well we will find out shortly. MY dealer says he is getting two around Feb 20. The Florida Toyota site shows dozens coming in over the next 1-4 weeks.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    Test drove a V6 Limited at Naperville Toyota in Naperville, IL today. The 6 is nice but I think I can live with the 4.
  • prash1prash1 Member Posts: 32
    I was thinking about buying a V6 base highlander. Now I can get the V6 RAV4 for the same price.

In your opinion which is a better value.
  • bill119bill119 Member Posts: 17
    I opted for the RAV4 as it met my size needs and the gas mileage is comparable with the base 2WD, with more power as well.
    Toyota loves you man.. ;)

IMO this is exactly the result they wanted in offering the RAV with a V6. It takes the price pressure off the Base Highlander, also reduces volume but this is the last year of it's life in this model.

If you need the room and a slightly more sedate ride the Highlander is perfect. The V6 RAV will be a blast!!!!
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    its not even an issue. The RAV. Actually, Drive both and you decide which you like better. I did and chose the Rav. not even close
    Frank
    Take a look at this site:www.fritzmall.com. You can get ideas on RAV4 pricing and they many not be too far from you in PA...Chanbersburgh?
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    that includes dest and ad fee. Dealer is in IL. email me for details. No, I dont work for the dealership.
    I heard that the St. Charles, IL toyota dealer got a V6 Rav4 in yesterday.

I also got the official 2006 Rav4 color brochure and it states that the V6 is available early February (slightly different than the late January press release date)

What was the color and what were the options on the one you test drove in Naperville?

Is this where they were asking for $300 over invoice?
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    How can anyone say that the V6 Rav4 is a better value than the V6 Highlander right now if you can get both for the same price (it may not be the case everywhere that you can get the same price, but this is the case presented here)? You can say you like the Rav better, but it's clearly not a better "value". Think about it, people are paying at or around MSRP right now for a V6 Rav; whereas people are paying at or around invoice for a V6 Highlander. It's simple math. By definition alone, the Highlander is a better value.

I am certain that, all else being equal, the trade in of a 2006 V6 Highlander will be better than that of a 2006 V6 Rav once the "new model premium" ends.
    I bet part of the delay was Lexus dealers squawking about wanting to get the 3.5l V6 first. The RX350 is getting a version of the same engine, with a couple of extra horses.

Imagine trying to sell an RX330 with a lot less power than the RAV4 at the Toyota dealer down the road...for $10 grand extra.

-juice
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    Probably won't have any problems with first year, but the second year models tend to get updates. It appears that the '06 Rav will continue Toyota's trend of short model runs. The '07's should be released Sept-Oct. Just like the '05 Avalon only had about a 6 month run. When the 06's came out, Toyota had made changes to option packages, making more items standard.

I had a first year Highlander, and the second year received updated interior items as well as more standard features. Same with the second year Matrix (better instrumentation) and Solara convertible (updated weatherstripping).

Again, not always problems, but it appears that Toyota does listen to it's buying public. I wouldn't be suprised to see side air-bags become standard, versus optional.
    Devil's Advocate here...

Then by simple math, if Toyota arbitarily raised the MSRP of the NEW 2006 Rav4 by $5,000 and had the dealers discount it by $5,000 - which would be the better "deal" the Highlander or the Rav4?

It is a marketers dream to have people believe that one vehicle is better than the other just by simple product positioning within a product line and arbitrary pricing to reinforce and justify that positioning.