Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    True, so you drive easy 80% of your time and have some fun the other 20% of time. "OMG, we just got blown off by a Toyoter Dear."!

Fool a BimBim driver every once in a while! And have the extra power when you need it. Get half the V6 cost back when you sell it

Life is not just about saving pennies.
  • Options
    I for got to mention that with the V6 you also get bigger brakes and a 5 speed auto which are significant things. And Hill assist which could be usefull if you live in serious hill or mountain country.
  • Options
    wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    A salesman at Libertyville Toyota in Illinois called me yesterday to tell me that a V6 Sport 4WD had come in and suggested I get there at 9AM today to test drive it. I did so, and ordered a Flint Mica color V6 AWD Sport. I test drove it for about 5 miles. Very quiet, smooth, touchy accelerator. The sport tuned suspension was smoother than I thought, though the roads I was on were very smooth already. I read a post about the RPM at 55 being only 1555 and was skeptical. I now see that is true. My very rare 1999 Camry V6 5 speed manual is at 2400 at 55 MPH. The salesman was very easy to work with and applied no pressure whatsoever. He told me that only 32 V6 Sport models would be sent to the Midwest in the next 3 months. I will have to wait 4 to 8 weeks to get my car. I put $500 down and agreed to pay full sticker. I figured that was fair given the rarity of the V6. He said I was at the front of the list to get one. I got the moonroof option, carpeted car mats, a cargo mat, and the auto dimming rear view mirror/compass ($300) for a total price of $27,404. I will miss my Camry, but the utility of the RAV 4 is what I need.
  • Options
    hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    Oh man, that sounds nice! How're you gonna sleep at night
    for the next couple months though :P
  • Options
    alinlalinl Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know why me, as a consumer, I have to pay the Deliver Fee($650), SET Administration Fee ($620) and SET Destination Charge ($45).

Thanks!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    To avoid the SET (Southeast Toyota) fees, you could buy your Toyota in another region.

I don't know what the delivery fee is.

If you focus on the out the door price you can avoid having to negotiate the line items at all.

Check out the Toyota RAV4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too.

Some more posts about SET:

jimyo, "2006 Hybrid Toyota Highlander" #675, 16 Jun 2005 8:03 am

footie, "Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier" #2838, 13 Jul 2004 2:50 am

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Well the delivery fee of $650 is on all RAVs in the USA I am pretty sure. It shows as $605 on the Toyota web site.
    Never heard of an admin fee.
    Remember you don't have to pay if you don't buy it. Or buy somethine else. That is always an option.
  • Options
    Yes I have been watching the SE site and wow they do load them up with stuff, some good some bad. $1400 for a lovely set of very nice wheels for example. And lots fees and profit making options. No fee mentioned for "New car washing" but I bet it is in there somewhere. But the site is good to see what is coming in etc. The NE region is lazy I guess. Getting fat on all those "at MSRP" sales so they do not have to provide much stock info on the NE site.
  • Options
    This site/dealer (Boch) in MA seems to have tons of RAVS. No V6s as far as I can see.

http://www.bochtoyota.com/car_showroom/default.asp
  • Options
    tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    The SE region is the only independently owned region left. Toyota was able to buy all of the regions, but the SE will not sell. Can't say that I blame them, but it's ridiculous to see the accessories and fees that they tack on. Don't get me started about the $699 "ToyoGuard" option :mad:

If anyone ever does buy from the SE and is told that ToyoGuard is standard, that is a lie and go elsewhere. Fortunately some dealers will not accept cars with Toyoguard.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    As the poster above mentioned the southeast region is independently owned by one person's family business. As long as he keeps Toyota happy it will remain the same.

As regards the three charges you mention... actually every Toyota store has the same fee, except the $45.

Specifically all vehicles have a destination charge. It's the freight from the point of origin in NA to the local retail store. Toyota's charges are normally on the low side. GM/Ford forexample are in the 700/800 range.

The Admininstration Fee is the often disputed but well-understood 'TDA' on which there is tons of threads here and even a disclaimer on Edmunds and KBB that it is a valid charge. It covers the regional advertising and cost of the regional distributorship, in this case SET.

The $45 is specific to the southern states including SET and Gulf States. It apparently costs more for shipping. I used to be in transportation and if there is a lack of facilities then the cost is higher. NYC / LA / Chicago have massive transportation hubs... Jacksonville does not.

Here is a bigger question for you. When you go to Best Buy or Sears or the like... how often do they break out each and everyone of their costs like this and put them on the internet and then discuss them when you arrive at the store? BTW the same fees for freight, Admin and surcharges are in the Best Buy prices they just bury them from your sight. It's utterly unbelieveable to me that the auto Companies, led by Toyota, open everything up like this.

When you go to Best Buy you see a price and if you like it, the Out-the-Door-Price, then you buy it. Do the same when you buy a car. Decide what you want to pay and then tell them that. If they say No you can always walk away like at Best Buy.
  • Options
    I don't shop Best Buy, but you can get prices knocked down at Sears and other stores. My personal best was getting 20% knocked off a fancy cutting board at Nordstroms 20 years ago. Last week I got a few bucks off a two day ski rental, but that cost me a candy bar. :-)

I even did this once at a grocery store, where everyone claims the price is the price and there's no dickering. But in that case I was getting 40 pounds of catfish fillets for a fish fry and the manager gave me a bulk rate.

All you need to do is nicely ask for a better deal and sometimes the answer will be yes.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    I just ordered a RAV4 today. The only extra fees I am being charged is a $25 "Electronic Transfer Fee", a $57.33 "Documentary Fee" and $80 for "Liscense and Title Fee". I was expecting the typical "advertising fee", but none was charged, nor should there be. Delivery fee was $605.
  • Options
    Agreed, jewelry stores are auto stores with smaller facilities. My wife and I came from my job, at an auto store, and went shopping for rings.

Everything was exactly the same;
    Ambiguous ads all over the store and in print;
    'No this is our best price'
    'The sale price is only on the costume jewelry in front'
    'OK, I'll offer you 20% off'
    'I have to take it to my Mgr'..LOL
    Manager TO;
    'We cant do your offer but we can do...'
    'This offer is good only if you get our credit card and finance with us'...double LOLOL
    'What's your rate?' '0% for 12 mo's' ' OK'
    Do the paprer work, get qualified, write up the order;
    'Well we dont have it in inventory we have to get it from another store' LOLOLOL 'but the special price and rate expire today so you have to buy something from inventory" ROTFLMAO.....

Walked out.
  • Options
    The difference is that the prior poster was analyzing the invoice in detail from wholesale price through retail.
    Wholesale Price
    +Holdback
    +Fin res to dealer
    +Admin or TDA
    +Freight
    Equals Invoice Price ( might be one other element )

Above this is the dealer margin on which the sales people get paid.

Equals Sticker Price ( MSRP )

Above this are the 'Normal' Fees that each locality has such as St & Loc Taxes, DMV fees, Documentation Fees, etc.
  • Options
    Life is short - if you like the car, buy it. (link). The salespeople need to eat and buy rings too!

This gets back to asking for an out the door price; that can save a lot of grief negotiating all those line items. If the price is way off, you'll know it because you've been doing your homework here, and you can walk. Another nice new car is waiting on another lot just down the street.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    That's got to be the best story and advice I've seen on these forums.
    I'd also modestly add "Work Hard and Play Hard" to that article.

I'm going on a shopping trip, and am going to swing by the Toyota dealer. I haven't seen a RAV4 yet in person, so it should be interesting. I doubt they'll have one, but I'm also hoping they'd have an FJ Cruiser. They're both about the same size and price, and I'm interested in both.
  • Options
    FJ's arent due until the end of Mar. We only have pics like everyone else.
  • Options
    nandennanden Member Posts: 2
    My local dealership has told me that Toyota/Japan will not be delivering the Limited V6 in leather seats until July. The 4-cyl Limited is available in leather now, and the V6 Limited in cloth is available now - but to get leather in the V6 Limited will require after market leather install or waiting until July. Can anyone verify if this has been there experience too? Anyone have thoughts on after market leather install? Thanks
  • Options
    mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    not sure what area of the country you are in, but my V6 Limited w/leather should be arriving any day now (on the east coast).
  • Options
    nandennanden Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I live in Colorado so maybe this is a region thing? Can't my local dealership get their hands on V6 Limited with Leather from another region? I was willing to order one and wait it out (thinking it would take a couple months) but July - that is a long time to wait. Thanks
  • Options
    bill119bill119 Member Posts: 17
    I am in NE Pennsylvania and I have ordered a V6 AWD LTD with leather that is due to be delivered the first week of March, so I am not sure why you are being told that there will be none until July. If you are also interested in heated seats, I would not be sure you can get them as an after market install. The dealership I am working with tells me that this will be the first V6 AWD LTD with all the options (other than DVD) delivered in PA.

From everything I have seen on this site and beyond, there will be very few available, and availability varies region to region, so maybe they are telling you it will take until July to get one delivered. But they are in fact making them now and they are going to start hitting the dealerships this week, so perhaps if you look around you may find one in your region or beyond. I was not able to get Classic Silver Metallic so I opted for Nautical Blue Metallic with Taupe Leather.
  • Options
    I have seen lots of Limiteds but no leather ones. My dealer told me Sport can be done in leather for $1300, it would look exactly like factory and come with 36 mo warranty just like factory leather. I am in NY. I have seen one Limited 4cyl listed on Fitzmall site with leather
  • Options
    alinlalinl Member Posts: 8
    Thanks everybody!
    It seems that I have to pay these fees. I'm coming from Europe (Romania) and there I didn't pay delivery fee or regional dealer fee.

I'll like the car and I'll buy it.

BTW, does anybody know what Toyotas plans for tottaly RAV4 redesing are? This model is a kind same since 2001.

Once again,
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Does not seem the same to me! Are you sure your getting a 2006?
  • Options
    prash1prash1 Member Posts: 32
    Can you tell us what you are paying for this loaded V6 ?
  • Options
    The 2006 model is entirely different than the 2001-2005 model. This will be the same until 2010.
  • Options
    If you don't have moon roof is it easy to install non OEM DVD player.

My friend has moonroof in his SantaFe. He was saying he cannot get a DVD player because it has to be installed too back.

I think V6 come prewired for DVD. So installation should be easy
  • Options
    MSRP is just over 30,000, we are paying 29,500. We are retiring our 93 Geo Prism although it is still very road worthy and keeping our 98 Subaru Forester. Looked at a lot of small SUV's, I was leaning towards another Subie, but wanted a V6 and the back seat is too cramped. I decided to stand in line early for the V6 as I wanted the car by early Spring. Got all the options as I plan to be driving this car for at least the next 10 years.
  • Options
    bcbob8bcbob8 Member Posts: 17
    I'd like to direct a few questions to kdhspyder and other RAV4 owners and/or salespeople. I want to buy the V6 Ltd with leather. Which undercarriage protection product, if any, would you buy? Would you invest in any paint protection products? What about fabric protection options? Would you opt for any of the extended warranties? Thanks.
  • Options
    camble94camble94 Member Posts: 15
    I have been following this discussion for over 2 months and am very excited about this new model. However, no one has mentioned the 2nd seat area. Last week, I opened the back door and sat in a RAV4 and was very unhappy with how uncomfortable it was...even my wife agreed. The seat back is very straight up. I can't imagine anyone being comfortable back there for a long trip. This could be a deal killer for me. Anyone have similar experience?
  • Options
    johan1johan1 Member Posts: 21
    I went to the Toyota dealer in Irvine, Southern California yesterday. They had 4 or 5 4-Cylinders but only 1 base model v-6 in the dealership. I was lucky to be given a chance to try the v-6. Indeed like what the other posts here said, it shoots out whenever you pressed the pedal even slightly. However, from still to motion, the noise is quite a bit obvious from right front direction into the cabin with even a very modest touch of the gas pedal. Another thing I found is that the pillow for the second row seemed not fastened at any wanted position when you adjusted it. Not that convenient, neh :confuse: ? BTW, for the price it is sticker price only. At least this is more decent than what the guys in Toyota Wonderies in Alhambra said: window price plus $5000. :sick:
  • Options
    soopereddsooperedd Member Posts: 32
    I sat in the second seat and also thought it was a little too upright, but it has the ability to lay back farther than a typical second seat. There is a lever or something on the side.
  • Options
    mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    I don't know how comfortable the seat is, but the seatback is adjustable (3 positions, I think).
  • Options
    My own personal opinion on my own vehicles. I never take any of them. I do acknowledge the the VSA's ( extended warranties ) do offer another level of protection against catastrophic losses but I personally am a risk taker and I can live with the risk of a Toyota going bad and having to pay to fix it myself. Although one 'loss' might wipe out all the 'self insurance' I've done. This is a very personal question for each buyer.

'Environmental packages'... I don't personally believe in undercoating, others demand it; Paint protection? this seems to offer a real level of cosmetic enhancement ( however I never wash my vehicles I just drive them into dust then trade them in for a couple of thousand dollars ); Fabric protection? If my family was still young this is another that I would go for. By myself never.
  • Options
    All they were doing in Alhambra is putting an addendum on the window to ensure that the vehicle would not be sold. They want to keep it there for the time being in order that the most people possible buy it.

Now if someone demands this vehicle today..and is willing to pay the $5000 extra.. oh well, it's a free country.
  • Options
    I have a copy of a Product reference sheet that shows the rear seat to be adjustable. When I sat in the back seat of the Sport model I test drove, I was mostly concerned about leg room and found that there was more than our current car, the Subaru Forester.
  • Options
    The only reason I was considerig V6 was its supposed quietness.

If it is not quieter than I4 by a noticable amount, I would buy I4 because it is powerful enough for me.

I think I have to test drive a V6 for myself to decide.

Waiting for V6 to arrive at the local dealer.
  • Options
    pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    You're paying $29,500. You can get a nearly loaded Pilot for that.
  • Options
    The Pilot is more truck like and gets lower gas mileage with a less powerful engine. To me bigger is not always better. I like the style of the RAV and I do not want anything bigger (or smaller). Of all the vehicles I looked at, the RAV best suited my needs.
  • Options
    I am looking to retire my 94 Geo Prizm too.
    The price 29,500 is not bad for a loaded nice vehicle.
    It is like you are getting a Lexus for the price of Toyota.
    I am sure you will enjoy your RAV4 for many years.
  • Options
    IMO Hondas are not as quiet as Toyotas. Most hondas have this road noice. You will notice it Civic, CRV, Pilot and Odyssy. Some CRVs have alignment problem too. They pull to right. My friend took his CRV to the dealer 3 times. His problem is not fixed so far.
  • Options
    jmeitzjmeitz Member Posts: 15
    I will chime in on this one. I was determined to buy a new Rav4 and after test driving that and the highlander i decided for the price the Rav4 was a good choice. Next week i went to the auto show sat in a pilot. Week later test drove it and there is no comparison to the Rav4. Two totally different type of vehicles. Grant the Toy V6 has more pep to it but the Pilot has a lot more comfort and is nicer and bigger. Plus you can get a fully loaded 4wd EXL with Nav for 32K right now. Now who would buy a Rav4 limited and only save like 1500 bucks. I made the easy decision and purchased the Pilot and couldnt be happier. I am 6'2"and i can fit in the third row comfortably vs the Rav4 where i couldnt even fit. Anyway this is only my opinion on this.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Sounds to me like you are getting a Toyota vehicle at a Lexus price! But, hey , that's just me.

I also wouldn't buy a V-6 Accord because the I-4 had more than "enough" power and all the features I needed (and some that are more frivilous like a 6CD changer, heated mirrors) for a relatively low price ($22k for my 06 EX). Congrats to all you new car buyers out there, maybe you aren't cheap, like me!
  • Options
    absolutboy20absolutboy20 Member Posts: 24
    I'm facing this issue myself. I was originally learning towards buying the Pilot but after the Rav4 came out, I had to think twice about the decision. Granted I am looking at paying nearly 30k for the Rav4 Limited v-6, I have to look at what impacts my daily driving. The pros of getting a Honda Pilot EX-L would be the integrated navigation system and having a larger vehicle. The Rav's would be having a faster, nimbler vehicle with better gas mileage. Considering I wouldn't use the third row seat in either vehicles, it doesn't really affect my purchasing decision. I'm leaning towards gas mileage and better performance. The cons for me on the Pilot would be that I'm assuming it will be up for a redesign next year and the fact that the $250 Ipod connection is not available with the EX-L model, whereas the AUX is standard on all Rav4's. Small details but everyone has their "demands".
  • Options
    kremerbkremerb Member Posts: 7
    Colorado...
  • Options
    flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    AMEN Steve. This is how we feel. Life IS short. If you can afford it BUY it/.

Frank
  • Options
    flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    well for one my new rav gets 30 mpg on the highway. The pilot is not even close to that figure.. And when gas goes back up(and it will) this will mean a whole lot more then if a 6.2" guy can fit in the 3rd seat better in the Pilot then the Rav.. IMHO.
    :)
    Frank
  • Options
    Hey I forgot to mention that when I drove the V6 I did not smoke the tires. But I did get a little chirp from a standing start. Any new MPG reports as you add on the miles?
  • Options
    anjanj Member Posts: 2
    Not that comfort in the second row was a big consideration for me (utility was more important) but everyone who has ridden in the back seat has complimented it for comfort and especially liked the reclining feature.