Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• monobomonobo Member Posts: 10
    I am like many on this forum that can not get the RAV4 with the options I want here in Cali. I tried getting it through edmunds and shopping online, I went to all the local dealers. I even went to a big dealer about 30 miles from here and tried ordering one. I finally got fed up with all the trouble. I am now going to buy one out of state. I am shopping in both Oregon and Arizona. The flight to either state is cheap and they seem to have lots of them. You can not find a V6 4x4 with a tow package in Cali. The tow package gives you so many good things for $160.00. Tow Prep Package Includes larger radiator, fan coupling, transmission oil cooler and 150A alternator. I have had good luck so far. I have found about 6 in Arizona that have everything that I want. Anyone want to fly out to Arizona with me. We could save more money if we buy two from the same dealer. I will keep you up to date on the deal I get and where I bought it. Driving back at 55 miles per hour is going to be horible.
  • lirlir Member Posts: 81
    I had the same problem in finding one here in CA. They had maybe one or two base or sport, but no Limiteds (of ANY kind). So, I drove 2 hours away and bought one they had delivered the night before. I also notice that I never see the Rav4 advertised (TV, newspaper etc.) All my local dealers in the valley advertise everything but the Rav. Maybe because they are hard to find? Maybe this is the case in central California. Do they advertise in any of the other parts of CA and the country? I find it rather strange.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Driving back at 55 miles per hour is going to be horible.

Do you mean because of the speed limit or because of the 'break in period'?

Obviously obey the speed limits. But there no longer is any speed limitation during the break in 1000 mi. It only says dont tow anything for the first several hundred mi and don't race and don't baby it. Just drive normally.
  • bing8bing8 Member Posts: 11
    HANNAHSMUMMY,
    THANK YOU FOR THE V6 4X4 MILEAGE REPORT. MY GUESS IS YOUR MILEAGE IS THE SAME AS THE 4 CYLINDER 4X4. HOWEVER, I DON'T SEE ANY REPORTS OF THOSE WITH 4-CYLINDER 4X4 ON THIS FORUM ...THAT IS REAL MILEAGE REPORTS.
    GOOD LUCK WITH THE RAV.
    BING
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    You may know this already but posts in other forums indicate the Tow Prep Package does not include the wiring from the front of the truck (dashboard area) to the rear. For this you need an additional harness $132 and 2 hours labor estimated.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I live in NH; but let me give you a near Boston zip code and do an autotrader search - 01854. You'll find Base and Limited 4x4 V-6's with tow packages. I have my eye on a Base with a $1K of options, which has an MSRP of about $25K. I figure counting my college-grad rebate and Internet coupon I could walk away with it for $22K.

If you want to use my NH address, I'll save you the sales tax - NONE. Just kidding they'll tax you when you register in CA.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Wow! :( Next year they'll charge you extra if you want the radio wired? or if you want the tires mounted when you take delivery?

Why do they want to PO a customer, instead of charging a little extra in the first place? Hearing that just makes me wary of what other crap the company is trying to pull, and whether they'll give a hassle on any warranty issue.
    A tow prep package ( TO ) has nothing to do with the actual hitch, harness, bar and ball. It specifically means that the engine and transmission are ready to be put into use for towing.

It's a common misunderstanding, quickly cleared up.

From a 7-time owner since 1989 don't worry. If you've never had a Toyota before you will be amazed how easy it is to own one.
    Well that is your concept of correct since you have owned them.

I think that since the option lists "connector" and that connector is under the dash board , not at the rear of the truck then it is a little deceptive to new owner. And from some comments, even the salesmen are confusded. So I would call it the "Almost Tow Prepped Package" I was just pointing it out to people who maybe planning to get a hitch installed etc. that they will need more and maybe they want to order the harness and arrange for it with dealer if they are planning to tow soon. The hitch takes 30 min to install. The harness takes 2-3 hours from other comments I have read online.
    I have never owned a Toyota but intend to buy a 2007 RAV4 for December. I am not suggesting Toyota is in any pulling a fast one or might deliver a poor product. I was just pointing out that the harness is not part of the Tow Prep Package and I do think Toyota could make that a little clearer in the options spec etc. especially since the option mentions "with connector". I have seen posts online from a least 6 new owners who were caught by suprise on this one.
  • sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    Just put in 3rd tank of gas, 19.6 mpg almost all city. Both wife and I tend to be heavy on the pedal, it's so fun to feel that acceleration.
    Monobo,

Valley Toyota in Sanger, CA might have what you want. Just checked their inventory, and they have a limited V6 4x4, and from looking at the price, seems like it has a few options (might be the tow package).
  • auto2006auto2006 Member Posts: 8
    I'm thinking of buying a RAV4 V6 4X4. I want the limited, with leather, but the dealership states it will be atleast 4-6 weeks. I currently drive a Honda CRV-SE, but the ride is very uncomfortable. Looking for some insight on how others feel about there RAV4.
  • bcbob8bcbob8 Member Posts: 17
    No offense, auto2006, but there are now 3388 posts on this forum about "how others feel about there RAV4." Is there something preventing you from reading them?
  • auto2006auto2006 Member Posts: 8
    No, I've read other posts. I want responses to my posts.
  • wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    I glanced at the owners manual and could not find where it says the V6 burns 1.1 quarts of oil per 600 miles. Could you please tell me what page it's on? I have owned 3 other Toyotas and have never had to add oil between oil changes. I usually went 5,000 between oil changes. The V6 engine holds 6.1 quarts. If it's burning 1.1 quarts per 600 miles, the engine would seize up around 3,300 miles or earlier if the level wasn't checked. I find that very hard to believe. I used to laugh when I heard about 20 years ago that Ford's headquarters said burning one quart every 500 miles was normal on Ford cars. I hope this is not the case for the RAV4 V6.
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    It's on page 282, if you look in the index, it even has a reference under oil for consumption on page 409!!!
  • avrguy73avrguy73 Member Posts: 26
    My first tank eded up at 20.2 mpg. I own a Base VVT4, 4WD. It was 3/4 city driving and 1/4 highway between the range of 65 and 75 MPH. Also I switched in and out from overdive and used the engine to brake many times to help it break in. Although I never raced it, the highest rpm was around 4 k in 3d gear.

I am a pretty sporty driver and I will rev the engine plenty when it is time. I would not call it a heavy foot, coz that is just part of it. Anyway, my measurement could be off slightly, because I did not let the car run out of gas. I drove about 25 miles past the Empty light coming on. Anyone knows what is the exact range of the reserve gas? I cannot be that off. I figured it has max 10 miles left in it.

This is my first Toyota, I traded in a 2002 Jeep Liberty for it. It is bigger inside, although the Jeep was a real terrain machine, I never used it except for the 20" snow in winter. I hope I'll have no issues with the RAV4 in this area. Althought the 17", 225 HR Yoko tires are sweet. Talking about H rating, anyone knows what is the top speed of the 4 cylinder? The Jeep was a pleasure, but the gas consuption was hidious. the sticker said 17 mpg and I only got 13-14 the most, with only 36 K on the odo.

I find the 4 cyl engine strong enough and i can put all the extras in later on, what the other trims have. I chose the base, because I wanted to keep the interest on the car low as possible. besides, even the base have all the goodies I need. Except for the heated outside mirrors I'd love to have. Anyone knows are the mirrors pre-wired for this?

I do not know if the nice yokos i've got (17" not the 16") causing it, but the ride is a bit choppy at highway speeds. The car soaks up the ditches well, but seamingly it is done in cooperation of the hole unibody rather than with the suspension alone. Should I worry that this will compromise body integrity with time? like I said, never had a toyota before.

I only have one other thing. The interior is incredibly spacious, much more space than the Libby's. But the same problem here too. I am 6'2" and the driver space is not enough! I could use another inch driver seat back travel. I partially solved the problem by lifting the seat with 3/8" galvanized 2x2" blocks, but still. The other complaint I have is the foot rest. The angle is too steep and it is not big enough for my size 12" so after an hour of driving my foot goes numb. Am I alone with this? Perhaps not, but I hope toyota people are reading this. If they can send the extended Rav4 to America, they could also extend the seat travel! Lol. Coz we here aren't small.

I browse through the service schedule and could not see when the transmission fluid needs to be changed. It looks like oil change and tire rotation up to 120 K nothing else for city use.

Ok, I wrote too much, but anyone knows where to get a service manual? Also, my dealer want to sell me the alarm system with remote starter only. There must be another unit without the starter. I figure they make more money on this. Anyone knows how hard is it to install, coz the alarm is about $150 in Canada, and oh yeah, I am getting the body-side molding too.
    You can get an alarm system installed way cheaper. Plus it will automatically lock all the doors when you start the car. I love mine, nice safety precaution.
    Thanks for pointing it out. I've got 480 miles on my V6 RAV4 and I'm driving on a 300 mile round trip next Saturday. I'll check the oil before I go.
    I bought my Limited last week and it was the only Limited at that dealership. Just out of curiosity, I checked the inventories at two nearby dealers. The results were 32 base, 22 Sport and one Limited. Is it undersupply or overdemand that is making the Limited so rare at dealerships?
    Don't laugh. I now have a very sore neck after driving the V6 for almost 500 miles. No, I haven't even floored it yet. It's just the high torque at low speeds that is getting to me. I took a turn at a stop light and gave it too much gas before straightening out and my neck instantly had a sharp pain in it. I'm now getting used to the throttle from standing starts, but now keep my head against the headrest. What a car!
    I was asking myself that very same question. I waited a couple months to find the one I bought. No one had them. What I find weirder is that I seldom see them on the road, nor do I see them advertised at all (in my area - central California). I think it is undersupply, and tough cookie for us looking all over for them! :mad:
  • little3little3 Member Posts: 31
    1.1 quart of oil per 600 miles? You gotta be kidding? This is Toyota quality? I was set to buy a RAV4 but this sort of "expected" and "acceptable" oil use is ridiculous. Get real Toyota. BTW does this same kind of oil consumption issue affect all Toyota models? Well, I quess it's back to looking at Hondas.
    Only about 2.5% of RAV4s built seem to be limited. Same with sport. I keep an eye on the SE region deliveries and it seems 95% are Base and and 85% are 4cyl. Do a build and buy on zip 34423 and you will see what I mean. Lately there seem to be even less Sport or Limited. According to this link, 2006 production ends in 10 weeks or so.

I think we all loose sight of the fact that the RAV4 is basicly a low cost point vehicle and the Sport and Limited are not the meat and potatoes of Toyota production. Just a thought.
    I think your on the wrong track here. I don't know anyone with a Toyota that has any problem with oil consumption. I suspect Toyota is just being cautious in the manual especialy for the break in period. And all cars use a slight amount of oil, even my Audi but certaily not a as much as the Toyota manual mentions
    Ltd's or RAV's in general? Ltd's are very rare but starting to be seen. Total RAV sales are very strong as far as Toyota is concerned. It's up 110+% and they still can't keep them on the lot's.

Through 5-1-06
    2006 - 47798 units
    2005 - 22631 units
  • soopereddsooperedd Member Posts: 32
    The manual states, as I read it, that 1.1 quarts would be the maximum oil consumption and that is during break-in. If it is more than that you may have a problem. I don't expect mine to burn that much, but I will watch it close.
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    Yeah i'm gonna get one at the end of this year but all this burning oil talk is scaren me.Anyone who has bought one let me know if you burn that much oil in 600 miles.Just read the post about break in period so is that where there expecting that much oil to be burnt?
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Original poster says “it does say that the RAV 4 V6 engine will use about 1.1 qt every 600 miles”

Let’s get the facts straight, first off this is a generic statement for both engines not specific to the 3.5L V6! This exact statement was in my 05’ Camry manual which had the 2.4L and the 3.3L V6; I never burned a drop in 35K miles with the 2.4L engine!

They fail to mention in the previous paragraphs that combustion engines have tolerances and in some cases will burn oil, it applies to simple manufacturing principles, and it’s not a perfect world just because the CAD screen shows a perfect fit, it will apply to all manufacturers. Owners of Honda, BMW, and Acura etc. check your manuals, it’s probably there as well, and for the most part it’s a “CYA” statement in this world of litigation.

As far as the ½ way mark in 350 miles, the question is, was it filled from the factory correctly? Or could the human factor come into play and someone messed up by not filling it correctly and was missed at Pre-Delivery Inspection? Simply not enough data to say the engine is a problem. I had problems with the PDI from my dealer; others have claimed tire pressures well exceeding what the label states in the door panel causing a rougher than normal ride. Most don’t go home and check things out for themselves and rely on the dealer, that’s their first mistake. What people need to be aware of is that some “lot boy” who does PDI’s on say 10 cars a day, could let one through the cracks it’s called the human factor!

One has to use discernment when reading posts here; some are heading to the Honda store due to lack of information! The sky is not falling folks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My '99 Nissan manual says that it's "normal to add some oil between maintenance intervals or during the break-in period, depending on the severity of operation conditions."

1.1 qt every 600 miles sounds like a lot to me. Some Isuzu Trooper owners complain of excessive oil consumption, and most of those folks think a quart every 1,000 miles is excessive. (link)

Is the normal service interval still 5,000 miles? Until the Toyota sludge issue a few years ago, I think they had bumped it up to 7,500 miles.

Steve, Host
    The new RAV4 V6 has the same motor as the Avolon right?I've never seen anything about oil burning in the Avolon so i hope it's not a big deal.Thanks for the info raydahs i'm still gonna ge the RAV but i'll keep an eye and ear out for any probs people on here have with theres
    Yes sir I remember those days very well :)
    raydahs, "Isuzu Trooper" #8318, 22 Aug 2003 4:43 pm
    "Ltd's or RAV's in general?"

RAV's in general...but the few that I have seen have either been base or sport. I truly believe that Toyoya is selling lots of these, I was just wondering where they're going.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lol, I didn't mean to strike a nerve! :shades:

My '89 Voyager occasionally used a bit of oil but never a whole quart between changes. Adding oil every 1,000 miles would drive me crazy, although my buddy with the three leaking seals on his 12 year old F-150 figures it's cheaper to add some oil (and kitty litter to his driveway) every now and then instead of replacing the gaskets.

Steve, Host
    What would cause a new motor to burn oil?Well that much oil any way?
    He He....no nerve struck here. I absolutely loved that vehicle, the best I've owned to date, 05' Camry comes in 2nd. It got to the point where I was adding so much oil, I just replaced the filter every 3500 miles!
    Tolerances, if the piston comes in at the low side and the cylinder comes in at the high side you have what they call "least material condition" result being a maximum gap. Then you have to factor in the ring tolerances, valves etc. their are a lot of variables, it gets complicated, but that's it in a nut shell.
    Your loosing it! None of these modern engines use much oil. A quart in 10,000 would be a suprise.
    I was just asken about a earlier post about new rav4 usen 1.1 quart every 600 miles.I'm getten one this year and was scared by what i read i was maken sure.I know they should'nt burn any really but if you read before people were freaken out about it
    Consumer Reports and J.D. Powers give it 5 stars for projected reliability; their highest rating. Forbes has it as the MOST reliable due to those ratings!!
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I drove a RAV4 V6 Sport by myself, then went back today with my wife, but the dealer only had four cylinder versions in stock, so we drove one. The interior storage and cargo storage and flexibility are impressive, and they now have Sirius radio. We are considering a Limited V6 4WD. While we need to drive one for a longer time or drive more of them, it seems that the reviews are accurate. It is quiet, powerful, and handles very well.

We don't need a vehicle which weighs 1,000 pounds more, has less interior and cargo storage, has lousy fuel mileage, and costs $10,000 more than a RAV4. I suspect that as more people become aware of the RAV4, they will feel the same way.

Does anyone know if Bluetooth is available?
    I noticed that the turn signals will not shut off on anything less than a 90 degree turn. Because I'm 6 ft 2 and cannot adjust the sterring wheel up high enough, I fail to notice that the signals are still on. My Camry would always shut off on any turns. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Sure have! My hearing is bad too, so I can't hear the flasher clicking, so I've found the signal still blinking after a turn more than a few times! :blush:
  • monobomonobo Member Posts: 10
    I do not believe you can get a tow package at all in Cali. There are tons of them in Arizona and Nevada. The prices seem to be good. I posted what I am buying below. I could probably save almost 600 dollars if I bought a silver one. I put 500 dollars down on this one and am going to fly to Arizona to get it. I told them I am not paying for the permaplate warranty. It sounds like a scam to me. I am buying it for about a thousand under MSRP. If we weren't stuck on this color I could of bought mine today.
    Model Description: 5-DOOR 4X4 SUV Category ..........: A
    Year ............: 2006 Current Dealer ....: 150-02036
    Interior Color ..: FC10 FC10 Wholesale Dealer ..:
    Exterior Color ..: 08R3 BLUE Previous Dealer ...: 00150
    Body ............: 5-DOOR 4X4 SUV Invoice Date ......:
    Number of Cyl ...: 6 Ship Date .........:
    Allocation Number: 051 Retail Date .......:
    Engine Number ...: 0187478 Date of First Use .:
    Vessel Number ...: 407 TRAC ..............: NO
    Vessel Name .....: PYXS LDRV014 Damage ............: NO DAMAGE
    PDI ...............: NO
    Fleet .............: NON-FLEET
    Port PDS Complete .: NO

VIN .............:
    Ignition Key.....: 68537

Factory Installed Accessories: FE CD DJ DR AW GY RL TO
    Port Installed Accessories ..: CF EF

Retail
    Vehicle Base Model ....................: $23735.00
    Total Accessories .....................: $ 2139.00

MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE
    3.5 Liter DOHC V6 w/Dual VVT-i Engine
    5 Speed ECT Automatic Transmission
    Elec On-Demand 4WD / 4WD Man. Lock
    Electronic Power Steering/4-Whl Ind Susp
    Fr&Rr Stabilizer Bars/4-Whl Disc Brakes
    Hill-Start Assist Ctl/Dwnhill Assist Ctl
    17" 5-Spk Stlyd Steel Whls w/P225/65R17
    Tires & Fl Sz Spre Tire on 17" Steel Whl
    SAFETY
    Star Safety System Includes:
    Vehicle Stability Ctrl w/Traction Ctrl
    Anti-Lock Brakes w/Brake Assist & EBD
    Dr & Fr Pass Advanced Fr Airbags (SRS)
    3Pt Seat Belts in All Locations
    2nd Row CRS Lower & Top Tether Anchors
    Rear Door Child Safety Locks
    Direct Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    EXTERIOR
    UV Reduction Glass Wndshld/Rr Priv Glass
    Clr-Kyd Bmprs,Rr Spoiler,Spre Tire Covr
    Black Grille/Dr Handles/Pwr O/S Mirrors
    Multi-Reflectr Halogn Auto-Off Headlmps
    Front Var & Rear Intermittent Wipers
    Fender Mounted Mast Antenna
    LED Tail and Stop Lamps
    COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
    Air Conditioner w/Clean Air Filtration
    AM/FM CD w/6 Spks / Aux. Mini-Plug
    Man Tilt/Telescopic Adj. Steering Wheel
    Cloth Int,Mlti-Adj Fr Chairs w/Dr Ht Adj
    2nd Rw 60/40 Splt,Reclne,Fld Flt w/Slide
    Fwrd Cpblty w/Ctr Armrst, 2 Cup Holders
    Dual Glove Box/Digital Clock/Cruise Ctrl
    Power Windows/Door Locks/Keyless Entry
    Optitron IP Gauges / Gated Shifter
    2 Fr/1 Cargo Auxiliary 12V Power Outlets
    Ctr Cnsl w/2-Illum Cup Hldrs, Cell Phone
    Storage,Upper Storage Tray, & Cnsole Box
    Crg Area 2nd Rw Seat 1 Tch Fld Flt Lever
    Rr Cargo Storage w/Undr Flr Storage Spce
    Sunvisor w/ Ext & Illum Vanity Mirror
    Ilumntd Entry Systm/Silver Interior Trim
    Retail Total
    Vehicle Base Model ..........................: $23735.00 $23735.00
    Federal Emissions ..........................
    Cargo Area Tonneau Cover with .............. 140.00
    Multipurpose Cargo Net with Support Poles ..
    AM/FM 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer w/ 6 ....... 200.00
    Speakers, and MP3 / WMA Playback ...........
    Capability .................................
    Black Roof Rails & Crossbars ............... 220.00
    17" 5-Spoke Aluminum Alloy Wheels .......... 440.00
    w/P225/65R17 Tires and Full Size Spare .....
    Tire on 17" Steel Wheel ....................
    Driver & Front Passenger Front ............. 650.00
    Seat-Mounted Side Airbags and Front-and ....
    Second-Row Roll- Sensing Side Curtain ......
    Airbags (RSCA) .............................
    Daytime Running Lights ..................... 40.00
    Towing Prep Package - V6 3,500lb. Towing ... 160.00
    Capacity - Includes Upgrade Radiator, Fan ..
    Coupling, Alternator, and Pre-Wiring ......
    Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat ................ 214.00
    Rear Bumper Applique ....................... 75.00
    --------- ---------
    Total Accessories ...........................: $ 2139.00 $ 2139.00
    Destination Charge ..........................: $ 605.00

Total .......................................: $26479.00

Selling the vehicle at $25348, you're looking at $28128.41 Including TTL. You have to pay arizona tax at 8.1% on the vehicle which is $2077.41 When you go back to San Diego, you'll either get money back from the state of california if the tax is less or more if the tax is more. You don't have to pay arizona's plate's, so you're only paying a 30 day drive out plate for $30. Your Doc Fee is $369 and $5 AZ tire disposal tax and there is a perma plate $299 warranty on the vehicle (thats an interior and exterior protection on the vehicle for 5 years.)

I'll be in the office till 7 today..call with any questions.
  • tbjorkmtbjorkm Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever figure this out ?
    I found the same plug in my glove compartment
    Thanks
    I'm 6'1" and I have only had my RAV a couple of days and the same thing has happened to me.
  • battinabattina Member Posts: 19
    I found mine in the little nitch above the DAC control and the heated seat controls-SO WHAT ARE THEY??
    The rubber plugs are to seal holes that were used for tie downs during shipment, they were supposed to be installed as part of the pre-delivery service according to TSB PD091-05.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Relax, everyone! I think it says that it is ACCEPTABLE to use that much, but in fact, it will not. My older Toyotas say something similar in the manual, but they never use a drop, as far as I can tell.