Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    It's a litigious world .. people get lawyers involved in everything. Pretty soon there will be warning stickers on books about paper cuts. I'm sure what Toyota has done is to establish a problem marker with the 1.1 qt. in the owners manual. I checked fluids and tire pres. 1st thing on the day of purchase. It was 1/2 qt. low and tire pres. was low on all 4 tires. I corrected the problems and haven't seen any change since.

All you owners out there - anybody know what the 2 black domes are on the left side of the dashboard? The manual makes no mention of them.
  • Options
    garyweissberggaryweissberg Member Posts: 14
    Dear All, Last Friday the Escondido Dealer settled the case of my seat problem. The Santa Monica Toyota Service Dept gave me totally wrong information concerning the 2nd row seat and yes indeed all seats collapse on 3rd row version. My 40% seat was broken in production and Toyota got it partially working but they are still waiting for a couple of replacement parts to get it up to speed 100%. Thanks to Sayer and all who jumped in on this crazy problem. By the way, a sheet will fit in on a angle but not flat but at least you can get it in when all the seats down and the front seats are placed forward all the way.
    Gary
  • Options
    hannahsmummyhannahsmummy Member Posts: 20
    Just before I clocked 3k on the odometer, I called my Toyota dealer to book the Rav4 in for it's first oil change. The service manager said there was no need to bring it in until there were 5,000 miles on the thing, that every 5,000 is what Toyota is recommending in order to "help" the environment and save customers money... Dunno if this is true, but this is what I was told. So I'm waiting until 5,000 miles - 1,000 to go...
  • Options
    silveravinsilveravin Member Posts: 8
    Mono, thanks for posting your research. I thought of doing that but decided to get it here in CA after the dealer finally located one with most of what I wanted. I got it for $210 over Edmunds invoice, $26k b4 T&L, with SR, GY, CF, 6 spk sound. One pointer for you is to go by the invoice to price your vehicle, not the MSRP. Dealers get it for less than invoice b/c of bulk orders and this is what they are looking at to price the vehicle for buyers. Most dealers will settle for a few hundred bucks profit to make a sale.
    I don't know what Toyota is thinking by making only certain options available by region. It was difficult enough finding the one I got. Picked up the sport 4x4 v6 in silver and am very happy with the Rav. Good luck w/ yours and update us with your experience after you get it!
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    This is correct. It's right from your service manual that you received upon delivery. This is true of all Toyota's.
  • Options
    raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    RE:2 black domes, here's a link to the answer.
    scottyg1234, "Toyota RAV4 2006+" #3097, 14 Apr 2006 6:42 pm
  • Options
    wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    Does anyone know what the label means on the back of the 2nd row seats? It looks like a seat with a person sitting in it who has a ship's anchor draped over the seat. I can't figure out why it's there and what it means.
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    The label is there to show the anchorage for child seats.
  • Options
    orioninilorioninil Member Posts: 39
    I got 25.5 mpg on the second tank. (50/50 city/highway).

This beats the 16/20 I was getting on my Chevy Blazer.

I LOVE the new toyota commercial....."I had a lot of HEART for my old truck (Chevy)...this time, I prefer to use my head..."

I couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    additions to the nit-pick list.

1. Passenger side cup holder is of no use if radar detector is plugged into outlet.
    2. Steering wheel does not tilt high enough to easily get in and out of the drivers seat (I am 6'2 - 6'3")
    3. Plastic interior marks-up way too easily
    4. Moonroof need and indicator for tilt down and close.
    5. Needs auto all-door open option when engine is shut off.
    6. Driver side auto open window control is driving me crazy
    7. Engine sounds like a large bee when idling.
    8. Front cup holders do not secure small water bottles well.
    9. Front console not high enough to lean on with elbow
    10. Amber console lighting is outdated
    11. Disc changer (should be able to select disc from buttons 1-6 on front, not by buttons 3-4? using up/down arrows).
    12. Ignition key (Limited), very difficult to turn in iginition without hitting the lock/unlock or alarm button.
    13. Is it really a "locking" spare tire cover? No, not really.
    14. Gas pedal is way too touchy. I'd bet that we will start hearing about some accidents because of this.
    15. Gas pedal is too close to brake (I wear size 13 shoes)

Beyond these nitpicks....I absolutely love it.

Let's hope the engine continues to perform well and is reliable. I can live with everything else.

I need to know I can count on this vehicle to perform when and where I need it.
  • Options
    Yes, I have.

Make that #16 on my nit-pick list.
  • Options
    garyweissberggaryweissberg Member Posts: 14
    Agree, :D
    Iam getting 28 to 30 MPG Hiway and it beats my old Infinity FX35 which I Loved, by a long shot that only got 14 to 18 Hiway milage. Gary
  • Options
    battinabattina Member Posts: 19
    Thank you for those additions, after I picked myself off the floor from laughing so hard (pretty much experienced them all)- I have to say I could not agree
    with you more!!!
  • Options
    rsaltus1rsaltus1 Member Posts: 43
    My wife has mostly driven our 4 cyl 4X4 Ltd since we got it in Feb. It's really great, though our mileage is around 21 mpg in mostly city/some hiway driving and hoped for a bit more. Question: When you open the door, the rear dome light goes on, not the front. Is this standard, or is there a way to make the front dome lights go on in this situation?
    many thanks
    rs in boston
  • Options
    fhspsu67fhspsu67 Member Posts: 24
    There is a two-position switch between the two personal lights in front. It can be set to 'door' to come on when a door is opened or 'off' to not respond to door opening. You do know that you can turn these personal lights on and off by pushing either side?
  • Options
    toyzruletoyzrule Member Posts: 5
    Hi all...

Out of frustration because I couldn't find anything on the west coast in LTD and in the colors I could live with, I finally ordered the darn thing. Then, I called Toyota customer service in LA (800-331-4331) and told them I was having trouble finding and getting what I was looking for. BINGO. Within a week I got a call saying they were allocating it, and confirmed with dealer on 5-5-06. I should have it end of this month !!!! :):blush:
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    In 2002 I paid about $685 for a 7/75 PP zero deductible warranty for my Camry back in 02 That was a good price at the time. Anyone know what a good price is for an 06 RAV. Same plan, 7/75 with zero deductible. I must be the platinum warranty that is the Toyota product....
  • Options
    giantmedpro1giantmedpro1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a RAV4 with a 7yr/100k mile warranty w/ $100 deductible ($0 if I go to same dealership)

4x2 LTD 6 cylinder pearl white with following options:
    EJ FE GY HD LA PC RL SR TO S6 M5
    100% assembled in and parts from Japan
    Cash Price $28450
    Sale Tax $1778
    Inventory Tax $68.76
    Documentary Fee $50
    Full Service Deputy Fee $5
    Registration Fee $60.80
    Title Fee $33
    County Road and Bridge Fee $10
    Inspection Fee $21.75
    Service Contract 84mo/10000 Miles 100 ded $995
    from Mechanic Protection Plan www.mppco.com (Executive Premier New vehicle coverage)
    Total Price including the Warranty was $31472 :confuse:
    What do you think of the price on the car and the warranty?
    is the warranty really needed for a proven car like a toyota rav4 (especially a rare one that's made 100% in japan)?
  • Options
    I have heard too many horror stories from 3rd party warrantors. Besides a genuine Platinum Plus Plan for 7/75, zero deductible at any dealership with the roadside assistance, rental car etc was $900. The 7/100K I think was $1140 but I'd have to check. I think both these prices are still high but I am usure by how much. Anyway, anybody bought the Toyota plan and what did you pay?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The price is high but then again you seem to have gotten a loaded one.

A 3rd party warranty is really just an insurance policy. Read all the fine print before you buy.

The 3.5l V6 is relatively new to Toyota, and new Camry transmissions are having issues (some cars lose certain gears). It is a first year model with a new powertrain, so a warranty may not be a bad idea. Even Toyota is not perfect.

-juice
  • Options
    sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    I paid $470 for 6 yr/ 75,000 mile Platinum Plan, $0 deductible
  • Options
    ...I wonder how much the extra year adds....not $430 I bet...I am thinking $650 - $700. Anyone else buy one?
  • Options
    Anyone find a link to download the User's Manual in .pdf or other format?

I do not see on Toyota's web page.
  • Options
    Without having the manual in front of me (I have been meaning to look) - does anyone know why sometimes when I start the ignition, the recirculation light is illuminated = on and other times it is off?

I always set it in the off position, so it is not based on where I had it when I shut the engine off.
  • Options
    jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    This is a copy of a post someone had here a month or so ago:

In case you didn't know, you don't have to buy it at the time of purchase. You can buy it before the 3/36 expires.

However if you feel better buying it now, you can contact the finance department from a dealer up in Massachusetts online, (7/100, 0 deductible platinum from Toyota of Greenfield for $805).
  • Options
    quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    I think you can download it at the TIS site, but it will cost ya $10 a day for access. You can also call and order a hard copy, donno how much it costs tho. US residents, only.

http://techinfo.toyota.com/
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Mostly because NipponDenso, Denso US, engineers have cotton for brains. You can go to the dealer and have it reset so it doesn't default to recirculate when the A/C is started up and the cabin temperature is HOT.

I would think common sense would dictate that the best thing to do is use FRESH mode and HIGH blower speed to first force the overheated atmosphere out the of the car via the TINY exhauster port and then revert to reciculate until the cabin has neared the cooler setpoint.

But then why do I know, I only have brain matter in my head.
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    They offer a Navigation system with Bluetooth in Europe, so when will it be available here?

http://www.toyota-europe.com/cars/new_cars/rav4/gallery.asp
  • Options
    If you keep track of the prices at www.fitzmall.com, you will see that prices for V6 RAVs have come down to $200 over invoice in the last few days.
  • Options
    Not much in that forum yet. Anyone have any experience with body molding for the 06 RAV yet. I think it would make it look better and certainly protect it. How about mudflaps, are they easily installed on the base? Finally, how about one of those hood protectors...the smoked one? Are they easy to install. I need to protect this baby.

Also, what is the rear bumper applique? I thought it was the black rubber thing that sits on top the rear bumper. Someone said its a clear plastic cover over th erear bumper....?

Any reccomendations for OEM parts or third party?
  • Options
    philholtphilholt Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2006 Sport V6 4X4 Rav4 from a highly regarded dealer from whom I bought the 1995 T100 that I traded (along with a 2001 Lexus IS300). My goal, which I think I achieved, was to acquire a vehicle with the better features of the two traded but with more comfort and better gas mileage than the truck and, of course, greater carrying capacity than the car. The dealer had to hunt to find the Rav4 with side airbags. Oddly, the one he found had the bags but did not have the tonneau cover (which I wanted and cost a lot to buy separately) or the daytime driving lights although it had the rest of the Option Combination #A described on the Toyota web site. Also, the spare tire cover came in black although the rest of the paint is Slate Grey (the dealer gave me a grey replacement).

Gas mileage on 2 fillups, mixed driving, was a little over 22 mpg. I think it will improve when I stop getting such a kick out of goosing the most powerful engine I've owned in 50 years of car ownership.
  • Options
    The bodyside mouldings are only available on Canadian models as an accessory from Canadian dealers, I got mine from Ben Cholette at Peace Arch Toyota, cost is $82 plus $15 shipping, but you'll need to have a UPS or Purolator account to charge shipping to.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4113

I got the Canadian style bug deflector made by FormFit from my local dealer, part HD20K06S, $64.38. It covers the entire leading edge of the hood, not just the center section.

Mudguards are available from retailers on Ebay and other Toyota parts stores for $42-$60.

http://www.trdparts4u.com/

http://www.toyotapartsstore.com/default.php?cPath=12_187

The rear bumper applique is just a 3M decal with some lines and logo on it. A far better choice for your money is the South East Region bumper protector offered by DeLand Toyota.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-2006-Toyota-Rav4-Rear-Bumper-Protector-Rav-4_- W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33640QQitemZ8064802867QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Weatherflectors have their window visors available now...

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4311
  • Options
    I agree with Andre, when you buy a 6/75 you are basically adding 3 years or 39k miles. 3/36 are already included, you are just extended that coverage.

So if you go to a 7 year warranty it should increase by 33% compared to a 6 year, or more, since at that point it's older and problems are more likely.

The math should be similar for adding more miles.

-juice
  • Options
    heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    When I looked early this week, the DC area Carmax was undercutting fitzmall by around $500 per new RAV-4, which could have contributed to their adjustment.
  • Options
    Sounds good to me. Maybe RAV4 price sanity is spreading.
  • Options
    I told you so. ;)

Same thing happened with the Avalon. When it was new, people were paying close to MSRP, and I told them to wait it out. Same thing here...

-juice
  • Options
    Hey, I am not buying till Nov-Dec so just watching the scene now.
  • Options
    janetsuejanetsue Member Posts: 8
    I have the 4cyl 4x4 and have been averaging 27-28 mpg (70%hwy/30%city) and have 1000 miles on vehicle.
  • Options
    durangokid1durangokid1 Member Posts: 3
    Found this out the hard way. Bought my 2006 RAV4 Limited V6 fully loaded except for the actual hitch system, because they did not have one in stock set up that way. Found the hitch at my local boat sales store ($189.00)and the wiring harness for a 2006 RAV4 was $42.00. A lot cheaper than the dealer wanted. At first they were unsure of what the "Pre-Wired in the Tow-Prep package" on the invoice actually meant. After a day of their research, they informed me that it meant all wiring to the converter box is included (actually just a hot wire) but not the wiring harness from the converter box to the trailer hitch. Only problem, is finding the converter box placement on the vehicle. Hitch was simple to install, (removed the rear tie down bracket and attach the hitch frame with four bolts torqued to 65 ft lbs) took me 10 minutes. Now if I can only find the converter box, without paying the dealer to find it for me, I can attach the wiring harness I got from my local boat store. Anyone know where it is located?
  • Options
    tbjorkmtbjorkm Member Posts: 3
    How are the body side moldings installed ?
    Do they stick on ?

Thanks
  • Options
    Yes, they use 3M tape that's already attached, all you have to do is remove the backing.

While I'm at it, here's the deflector I got from my dealer.

image">
  • Options
    Well other net RAV4 sites have found that the converter box is part of the $132 extra harness from Toyota. This runs from under the dash to the rear of the truck. The converter box isolates the trailer from the vehicle electrical system as I understand the discussion. See RAV4World.
  • Options
    Anyone lookng for a V6 Sport in Flint Mica, Sunrise Toyota on Long Island, NY has one of tonight. Pretty well loaded but no curtain side bags.
  • Options
    wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    The moulding looks very nice. Looks like it will protect from dings at just the right height.

About the hood deflector, will that help prevent rock chips on the hood? My 7 year old black Camry had about 30 chips in the hood before I traded it in 2 weeks ago. The chips were spread out all over the hood.
  • Options
    I hope so, the new water based paints are notorious for chipping, the only other choice would be to cover the hood with 3M film!
  • Options
    avrguy73avrguy73 Member Posts: 26
    I think the only thing preventing chipping would be a full front cover. I've got chipping right away on the bumper.

I also think that the placement of the gas tank door release lever is bad.

Someone mentioned before that the interiro plastic is cheap. i think it looks ok, it is just very thin and bends easily.

Indeed, the touchy auto down/up window switch drives me crazy too. i think they should use a stronger spring in the switch.

I am getting 20.5 Mpg in city out of the 4 cylinder. I am happy, this is a 30 mile gain over my old Jeep Liberty for the same 5 gallon of gas!

a HID headlamp would look good on this car.
  • Options
    lirlir Member Posts: 81
    "I am getting 20.5 Mpg in city out of the 4 cylinder."

Is that a 4x4? I averaged 24.5, but I have the 2 wheel drive/4 cylinder. Guess I was used to my Accord, now it seems as though I see the gas gauge needle drop as I drive from point A to point B.
  • Options
    avrguy73avrguy73 Member Posts: 26
    Yes, it is a 4WD but that should be only 1 mpg under. The car is still new though...
  • Options
    mwinter66mwinter66 Member Posts: 5
    I have a Sport, V6, 4WD and my first tank averaged 22.5 mpg. It's a mix of highway, rural, and some stop and go traffic. Not bad. Much better than my 99 Silverado I just traded in.
  • Options
    To be that molding really makes the car look sportier and better. Plus it will protect it. Did the color match exactly? As I understand it I'll have to get some sort of UPS number and have it sent from Canada right? Is it a genuine Toyota part? How much was your hood protector? Did you instal lthat too? Was it hard?

T H A N K S !!!!!