Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• hannahsmummyhannahsmummy Member Posts: 20
    Would the WD40 or 3M cleaner remove a dealer name decal that the dealer I bought from puts on the back of all its cars? I have one on the back of my Rav4 and it irritates me to no end that they do that. I don't want to scratch the paintwork or do any other damage to it, but I really don't want the name of the dealer emblazoned on my vehicle. Thanks...
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    I've never used the 3M product, but I have used WD40, it works well on a lot of adhesives and doesn't harm any automotive finish I've used it on so far, but the newer water based paints may be different, dunno for sure.

Since I'm no expert on decals, I would check out this
    Edmunds forum.
  • wizzobutterwizzobutter Member Posts: 72
    I picked up a booklet at the Toyota dealer about 6 months ago that show the "New 2006 Accesories for the 2006 RAV4. There is a photo of "Tube Steps" and it says in small print "available May 2006".
    I ride my mountain bike every day now, since I can put it into the RAV4 without having to disconnect the brake and remove the front wheel. Yesterday, I was about to plug my electric air compressor into the power outlet in the dash. I then remembered that the RAV4 has an power outlet at the back. I found it quickly and it was in the perfect spot, right at the rear of the driver side, inches from the rear door. The hidden storage area in the back is perfect for keeping the compressor and bike helmet, plus a few gatorades.
    After getting between 20.5 and 24.5 MPG for the first 10 fill-ups, I just got 19.7. Of course, my foot has been feeling kinda heavy lately, so I should not be surprised. Also, I got stuck in two bad traffic jams also. I'm still very happy. I'm still averaging around 22 overall for over 2,000 miles.
  • winterpwinterp Member Posts: 2
    That's what my dealer originally told me too but they said they push it back on them all the time. Said they didn't realize it had been pushed back until this week.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sorry, didn't mean to shoot the messenger like that.

The instructions are probably invaluable if you do it yourself. I'm just surprised they made it so complicated.

I bet the trailer shops just splice in to the tail light wiring, that's gotta be easier for them.

I do my own accessory installations, on my Forester it was just plug-n-play, the harness was just sitting there in the spare tire well. Piece of cake.

When I replace that vehicle, I'll want a hitch on whatever new vehicle I get.

-juice
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Always insist that they do not put this on your vehicle and put it in writing before you sign the papers to buy it. I always have done this, and the only thing they ever said one time was that they wanted me to tell all my friends where I bought the car. I said "sure, just keep treating me right and you will have my business and I will inform my friends and family. But if you don't treat me right, I'll tell EVERYONE, whether I know them or not!!"
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I keep forgetting about this discussion:

Removing stickers, labels, decals, glue, sap...

Steve, Host
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    IN the heat of day I had no problem peeling mine off with a my finger nail. I thin just cleaned the area and waxed it...you'd never know it was there...
    I once removed a dealer's decal using a hair dryer to heat up the adheisive. It came off clean.

When I bought my RAV4 recently, the dealer actually asked me if I wanted the dealer decal put on or not. I thought that was a nice thing.
  • llkc04llkc04 Member Posts: 10
    I finally got my rav-4 2 weeks ago and love it. we took it on a trip a week later and I am impressed with the mpg. On the first fill up we put in we got 30 mpg 60% hwy 40 in town. next fill up was 29mpg 50%hwy and 50 in town. This next one will be almost all in town so we'll see. Also my husband had a heavier foot. I have to say that I've been being very easy with it. So far we love everything about it except getting it rigged for towing. As for the noise with the back windows down, that happens with my avalon too, its just that you have to have one of the front window at least cracked a bit. My avalon has done it for 6 years and the rav did it on out trip, its really no biggie just air pressure, but I can see where it would be scary the first time it happened. Just wanted to say keep up with all the good info, I've never liked a car like I like this one and I plan on buying things to add to or protect it and you all have given be good ideas on where to buy them. thanks L :)
  • hals2hals2 Member Posts: 9
    I drove a 2006 V6 limited and was very impressed with it. However I have a need for towing and don't like the side opening rear hatch. What has been the experience of others with this? If you have a trailer/small boat on, how can you open the back hatch without disconnecting the trailer? With a boat (or anything else) typically you have stuff in the back that needs to removed and put in the boat when you get to the lake. Is this an issue with this configuration of hatch for others?
    Thanks for any feedback. Except for the hatch I loved the little vehicle.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    wow those are the best V6 MPG numbers I have seen for the RAV4! You must have smooth driving down pat. Good luck with it and keep us posted on likes and MPG. Yours is 2WD or? And where are you located and how did your buy price relate to the invoice price?
    Oh and now you will find out it is not wired for towing beyond the dash. A little Toyota suprise for owners who got the Toyota "Tow Prep Almost Package".
    Go to message 3201, I think it will give you the answers you seek. I solved the rattling ball mount problem with a Valley anti-rattle hitch pin.

Valley hitch pin
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Toyota and their dealers were just obnoxious and greedy when they decided to sell a towing preparation package without installing the wiring harness at the factory. If they had to charge more for the factory towing package, I doubt that anyone who wants the towing package would have complained. Now the dealres sell the missing harness for a high price and then charge a high price to install it.
    Well obnoxious and greedy might be a bit much. I am not a Toyota person/owner but in looking into the RAV4 I have found Toyota does things the Toyota way! In some cases that could be described as a dumb way I guess from a buyer point of view. From comments I have seen here, Toyota usually does not typically provide the harness as part of tow prep pkge on most models. You get it if you buy the whole tow system from Toyota. Otherwise you can do it your self using the Toyota harness and your own hitch or a different wiring pkg. The Toyota harness can be had for $112 on the net and if you look at the quality of it, it is probably not overpriced. So in a way they are giving you lots of options to finish out your towing needs. I think the real problem is not making it clear to people new to Toyota that the wring is not in the prep pkg. Even my dealer thought the tow prep included the full wiring.

Another example of the "Toyota way" is not providing access to important options in all regions. This is apparently a regional office thing. In NY you cannot buy the RAV4 V6 Sport with side curtain airbags. Drive to Mass or PA or buy the I4 and you can. Important safety options should be made available to all buyers.

But hey, right now Toyota is flying high so they must be getting it mostly right for most people. In the big picture of life, getting your trailer lights connected is not the end of the world I would say!
  • avrguy73avrguy73 Member Posts: 26
    I would be interested in the method certain people use to calculate the milage.
    By no means will you get in 60% and 40% mix @ 30 Mpg.
    Unless you spend the entire trip inside the same car they used to test the milage on the car.
    Besides the Mpg sticker says: up to and not eqal or beyond 30 Mpg.

I do not get that milage with my I4 even if I aero-glide behind another car.

And the I4 suppose to get a better milage!

But why do you people complain? Do you know what my 210 HP Jeep Liberty used to get in 60-40 traffic? A mere 16 Mpg.

That is why I traded it in.

So if you get even 24 Mpg out of that 267 Hp engine, it is still a miracle.
    :)
  • barbarybarbary Member Posts: 4
    Does any Rav4 owner have an issue with thigh support in the front seats. I have a Rav4 limited V6 with cloth seats and after driving I've experienced an ache in the back of my thighs. I've tried positioning the seat in various configurations and nothing seems to alleviate this condition.
    Well I have seen several other people complain on the RAV4W site.
  • sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    avrguy73,

I am skeptical about 30mpg also. I'm not sure what method they are using to figure their mpg. I am VERY pleased to be getting between and 20-24 with my V6.
  • lirlir Member Posts: 81
    "I am skeptical about 30mpg also"

------>Heck, I'm just plain jealous! I get 20, and I don't even have the V6. :sick:
    Me too! The results of the R4W I4/V6 MPG poll showed only one V6 getting over 29mpg, and that was all highway. Thanks to RAVitUP for posting the results there.

I4 2WD - under 22 MPG
    0% [ 0 ]
    I4 2WD 22-25 MPG
    19% [ 7 ]
    I4 2WD 26-29 MPG
    5% [ 2 ]
    I4 2WD above 28 MPG
    5% [ 2 ]
    --I4 4WD - under 22 MPG
    16% [ 6 ]
    --I4 4WD 22-25 MPG
    50% [ 18 ]
    --I4 4WD 26-29 MPG
    2% [ 1 ]
    --I4 4WD over 29 MPG
    0% [ 0 ]
    Total Votes : 36

V6 2WD - under 22 MPG
    5% [ 3 ]
    V6 2WD 22-25 MPG
    19% [ 11 ]
    V6 2WD 26-29 MPG
    3% [ 2 ]
    V6 2WD over 29 MPG
    0% [ 0 ]
    --V6 4WD - under 22 MPG
    23% [ 13 ]
    --V6 4WD 22-25 MPG
    41% [ 23 ]
    --V6 4WD 26-29 MPG
    5% [ 3 ]
    --V6 4WD over 29 MPG
    1% [ 1 ]
    Total Votes : 56
    I am averaging 21-22 75% city -25% hwy with the 4 cylinder.

But my foot is heavy :)
    still 8 mpg more i used to get with the Liberty :)

I am happy too :) see my smile?
    interesting article here about milage:
    http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Autos/story?id=1274541
  • yooperyooper Member Posts: 30
    I know some of you are skeptical. That's fine. I don't currently own a RAV4 (family didn't fit in it anymore). However, I routinely exceeded highway mileage expectations when I owned my 96 RAV4. I currently drive a Subaru and the overall average since it was new (47,000 miles ago) is .5 mpg off the window sticker for highway mileage. I routinely exceed it by 3 or 4 mpg. This is driving the posted speed limits (70 mph on highway). I think it is very possible to break the 30 mpg barrier with a V-6 RAV. I am just waiting until I can purchase one and do it.

Yooper
    I still would like to know the method you use to measure MPG to determine your car's fuel consuption.

NONE of the cars I've owned before exceeded the MPG rating, in fact, most of them fell under at least 3-4 MPG.

If you'll provide procedures for accurate measurement of MPG,and if it makes sense I'll bow to you and accept the numbers you call now facts.
  • silverphxsilverphx Member Posts: 41
    "I think the real problem is not making it clear to people new to Toyota that the wring is not in the prep pkg. Even my dealer thought the tow prep included the full wiring."

Amen to that Jim. That really is the issue--to the average consumer new to the Toyota buying experience, when they purchase a "tow prep package" that comes "pre-wired", that average consumer can (and will) reasonably conclude that all the wiring is done and all they need to do is simply plug in their trailer to the wiring that should be installed. Indeed, I believe any judge or jury would believe a consumer is acting reasonable by believing that the wiring is complete when Toyota says it is "pre-wired." That's gonna be my argument, anyway, after I purchase the harness, and insist that Toyota install it for free. That is a more than fair compromise, in my humble opinion---I'll suck it up and pay for the harness (which should already be included in teh prewiring) if they do the installation work for free.
    I have seen on RAV4W site that one dealer has installed harness for $78 dollars. Some want much more. I would make the dealer an offer he "could not refuse".

Good luck
  • 96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    Has anyone looked in the vehicle ordering book at the description for the Tow Prep Package? When I ordered my 96 Grand Caravan, I copied the order book descriptions then crossed checked it with the vehicle upon delivery. I pointed out that the wiring harness was not there as described in the order book definition and refused delivery until it was installed. I followed the van to the back shop and watched the mechanic pull a new harness from a box full of harnesses and install it.
    Some dealers will take items shipped from the manufacturer with the vehicle that are to be installed as part of dealer prep. They will put these items aside and charge customers for the item and installation when they ask or as dealer installed options. How do I know this? I once sold cars (forgive me Lord) and the dealership was doing this. I saw it with spare tire covers, audio components, roll bar padding, mats, etc. I am not saying the Toyota dealers are doing this, but if they always seem to have the harness in stock... You have to check the order book description (I do not know any web source for this info. You will need to ask the dealership to see it and check items for your particular vehicle before you make your deal) and hold the dealer accountable.
  • klcrdklcrd Member Posts: 8
    I will be purchasing a Rav 4 2006 soon. Should I purchased V4 or V6. I am trying to come with reason for the V6 besides having extra power to past on the highway.

Need your input

Kevin
    Well that is a very interesting input. I guess a person could ask to see the order book description of the Almost tow prepped package.

I have not bought the RAV4 yet but when I talked to the sales guy he thought the harness came with the Tow Prep package. But I have found that they do not always have the RAV4 story correct.
    The wording of the Toyota option page on the web is vague now. It lists each thing but does not mention wiring or connector. I thought it used to say something about connector but that could have been the under dash connector. Anyway when I order or buy the truck later this year I will try to get it straight with the dealer then.

Also someone told me that you can negotiate the OEM Toyota hitch package with everything for $450. That might be worth it if you tow often. Also it seems to fit more neatly under the truck and looks like it has more mounting points. Do you need all that...who knows!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I am skeptical about 30mpg also. I'm not sure what method they are using to figure their mpg. I am VERY pleased to be getting between and 20-24 with my V6.

This comes up all the time on the Prius and hybrid boards. How often have you heard someone say or a 'knowledgable' writer state: "Hybrids never get what they are supposed to in fuel economy"

The Highway EPA tests are done at an average speed of 48 mph which is just about the sweetest spot for an ICE system. For every 10 mph over 48 you may lose up to 5-10% of your fuel economy. Driving faster than 68 mph will dramatically decrese your FE in this square metal box. It's like doing a belly flop off a 3 meter board.

In the EPA testing currently no AC is used. It is also done indoors so wind and weather have no bearing. Subtract 5-10% for driving in strong winds, on slippery sufaces or in winter.

Constantly 'riding the accelerator' will burn more fuel. It's obvious but think about it. In the EPA test there is no provision for passing everyone on the road.

Huge misconception: The combinded values are predicated on an arbitrary 55/45 division between Hwy/city. As the poster above noted at 80% Hwy/20% City the 'correct' EPA weighted average for this particular driver should be:
    24/30 EPA 28.8 mpg 'weighted' combined in a 4c
    21/28 EPA 26.6 mpg 'weighted' combined in a V6

These are EPA conditions which are nearly perfect.

Now adjust the Highway portion only for less than perfect conditions say 70 mph speeds and windy weather.
    .. deduct 15% for highspeed driving;
    .. deduct 5% for windy weather;
    .. deduct another 2-3% for AC usage.
    For the V6 now your new Highway 'realworld' value is about 22 mpg.

Combine this with your 21 City driving EPA and the result is clear. 21-22 mpg under these conditions is 'normal'.

This is extremely clear in the hybrids because the actual fuel economy is often graphed on-screen. The driver can see specifically what effect his/her own inputs - along with outside conditions - have on overall fuel economy.

A feature like this in all vehicles would be extremely useful. I've noticed it recently in the new ICE Highlander Ltd with navi. There is an instantaneous meter that shows how FE is being effected by the current conditions.
    Some very good points here. I am not much for government mandates and forcing us to spend money but some type of fuel use display would be good in all cars and could well reduce consumption. VW and Audi's have nice ones. If you drive and watch the "Gallons per hour" or instaneous MPG display you will quickly see that a very light foot and speeds less than 70 make a hugh difference. Since the RAV4 does not hsve these things another choice is a Scangauge 2 which I have. It is small, simple to install, has a great display and tells you more than you need to know. But it will show you how to save gas in your particular car if you use it for a week and pay attention. The average person could probably save enough to pay for it in 3-6 months I would guess. It has gallons per hour and instaneous MPG plus dozens of other usefull displays with a nice trip computer function. I am not a dealer but I do have a new one in my car now.
    Take a look:
    http://www.scangage.com/
    Your "21-22" is esentially what Consumers Union got with the RAV4 V6=22 MPG
  • bikejackbikejack Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the Scangauge2 info. Where is the On Board Diagnostic Connector on the 2006 RAV???
    Left side of steering column under the dash, the fuse panel is located just above it, btw!
  • bikejackbikejack Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.
    The diagnostic connector is just down under the dash a little below and to the right of hood release handle on a bracket. It is very easy to see once you look under and is the only connector there.

I don't own a RAV4 yet but did use the scan gauge on a test drive I took on a 2006 RAV4 V6 so I know it works fine.

If you get the new version of the Scangauge I think you will be impressed with both the functions and the great new display. You can get them on Ebay for a few dollars less than the factory website. I had bought both an old model and then a new model recently from a guy "sterling..." somthing on Ebay.

Enjoy!
  • hawkeye4hawkeye4 Member Posts: 9
    2006 Rav4 Limited V6
    I'm on my third tank of gas. I trip the odometer on each fill up.

Cars goes 100 miles on first quarter tank.
    2nd 100 miles uses 1/2 a tank.
    On last quarter tank, I get the low fuel warning light just when needle goes below 1/4 mark.

I fill up, and still have over 3 gallons in the tank. (assuming 15.9 is accurate size of gas tank).

I'm getting approx 23 mpg, so no problem there...but gas guage is a bit strange. My last vehicle was a 4Runner and its guage didn't do this.

Comments or ideas?

Thanks

-Dan
  • yooperyooper Member Posts: 30
    I reset my trip odometer at each fill up. The miles for that tank are divided by the amount of gallons for that fill up. Example: 209.1 miles divided by 7.129 gallons equals 29.33 mpg. Sure I may be off by a tenth or so due to inequalities at each fill up, but over several tanks of gas that balances out. My last trip I had three consecutive tanks that were 3 to 4 mpg over factory specs.

Most of my previous vehicles have exceeded mpg numbers on highway use.

03 Subaru Baja = often 2 to 3 over and sometimes 4 mpg over.
    98 Subaru Outback= right on estimates

96 Toyota Rav4 = 2 to 3 over

91 Nissan Truck = 2 to 3 over, as high as 5 over.

91 Nissan Sentra = 4 to 5 over, as high as 10 over.

82 Honda Civic = 3 to 6 over, as high as 10 over.

:)
    Very similar to my Limited V6. The fuel gauge shows 3/4ths after 100 miles, 1/2 after 150, and 1/4th after 150 miles. If I fill up at a quarter tank, I can only put about 10.5 gallongs in. When I went near empty, the low fuel light never came on, but it only took about 12 gallons to fill it. Very misleading gas guage. I'm averaging about 22 MPG. Very pleased.

For those of you who cringe at me going down to the empty mark, I've been doing it all my life and have never had a fuel related problem in any of my three previous Toyotas.

For the record, I also had a 1991 Nissan Sentra. My first tank of gas, I ran out of gas while waiting for the low fuel light to come on. It never did.
    Unless you run out of gas each time, you cannot measure MPG accurately. Just one gallon difference in the tank makes a huge impact on the numbers.

Counting on the Empty light to come on is not a solution. The empty light is affected by many factors and may come on prematurely.

Then there is the ODO isse. Is it accurate? Well there is difference between the tire sizes. Inflation is an affecting factor too.

So ratifying MPG numbers is not that easy.
    I always go down to empty. As a matter of fact the light goes on for at least a full day or more before I fill up again. I rather use up as much of the old gas, and not mix too much old and new. Just a habit. But I've never seen a gas gauge move so quickly as with the RAV. I'd like it if it had a bigger tank. I'm getting 21.6 MPG now. Weeeee!
    I like the V6 because it's easier to pull out into traffic from a standing start. The roads here are very congested, and pulling into traffic is tough. Needing extra power to pass on the highway is nice if you are on a two lane road, but on a multi lane highway, you can always switch lanes. Where I live, the north Chicago suburbs, there are very few places to pass on the two lane roads. Another reason to have the V6 is the sheer fun of it. Even putting the pedal a third of the way to the floor will move you out faster than most other cars. You don't need to floor it. If you plan on having the RAV 4 for at least 8 years, the monthly cost of the V6 over the I4 would cost about $20 per month, and you would re-coup hundreds when selling or trading it in. Plus, the mileage difference is only about 1 to 2 MPG. The I4 is more than adequate, but you should test drive both to see the difference. Also, the V6 is a bit quieter at highway speeds, since it is a 5 speed. The I4 has a 4 speed. So if you can afford it, I would get the V6. I'm very glad I did.
  • cruiser10cruiser10 Member Posts: 12
    The fuel pumps on new vehicles are inside the tank and actually benefit from keeping the tank at 1/4 or over. The gasoline acts as a cooling agent. Mechanics will tell you that they see fuel pumps go out prematurely due to folks running on fumes. :surprise:
  • gpurkgpurk Member Posts: 13
    I just got 25.7 MPG with my V-6 all highway from Branson, MO to Wichita, KS
    Even then it only takes 13 gallons to fill up. Means I still have 2.9 gallons. Thanks for the info., always good to know because I do this with all my cars (4), and we keep them for at least 12-13 years. Never had any problems, but I don't want to start now.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The best and most accurate is simply miles driven / gallons pumped in over a long period of time and don't be concerned about individual tanks.

It could also be the pumping equipment if you stop at the auto stop point. It doesn't matter really over the course of a several months or a year or two.

Just post each tank on GreenHybrid on their database and all will be done for you or use your own spreadsheet.