Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Perhaps they should have just NOT made an unfounded, confusing assertion that is pretty much untrue.

~alpha
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Aren't lower torqued vehicles higher reving? I thought torque helped pull the vehicle with greater ease.
  • Options
    "Aren't lower torqued vehicles higher reving". I'd say thats not a rule but tends to be the case because lower torque, high hp engines typically need revs to move the car- like the Celica GT-S and 6M, for example.

FWIW, the 2.4L in the RAV4 will be rated at a healthy 165 foot pounds of twist at 4000 RPM. (Essentially, this engine is the current Camry's 154 horse unit outfitted with variable valve timing on BOTH the intake and exhaust valves, I think Toyota calls it Dual VVTi or something like that. The result, vs. the '06 Camry's engine, is increased hp by 12 and torque by 5, and I'd venture the engine is quicker to rev/respond to thottle inputs, since it is "breathing" better).

~alpha
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    LOL! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    scottkopperudscottkopperud Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Rav4. It's been a great vehicle, though a little under-powered, perhaps. The V6 looks great, as does the third row seat, unless of course it's as much of a joke as the Highlander's third row seating. In the photos, it looks better (with the fold-flat option, and all) and also looks like it might actually provide a "lower" space for the feet. DOES ANYONE KNOW how the third row seating works, and if it's better than the Highlander's? :confuse:
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    http://trucks.about.com/od/2006suvs/ss/2006_rav4_7.htm here is a picture of the miniscule :lemon: 3rd row seat. I see it as an accident waiting to happen so think carefully about it. You may want a "small 10 year old" along for a test drive in the future. Why (sienna and sequoia not included) why do toyota vehicles have pictures of a 3rd row seat and it looks bigger than it is?!!? :mad:
  • Options
    Have you driven a current generation RAV4 since the upgrade to the 2.4L engine? I'm not positive, but I think that occured in 2003. The added torque makes a big difference, as I agree... the 148 (old method) 2.0L gets a little breathless especially with the auto..... though its nowhere near as slow as the first generation RAV, or the current Matrix AWD, which should be outlawed its so mercilessly stillborn.

~alpha
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The 2.4l is fine, but yes, why make bogus claims?

The V6 will be more than fine. :)

3rd row is for bragging rights and resale value. Most people don't actually use them. My friend bought an Aviator and removed it, never used it once. It will help market and sell the RAV4. Packaging looks pretty clever for the small size, if you ask me.

-juice
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    my dealer told this little gem would not be along for another year and tried to get me to buy another Toyota. I almost bought a V. I am seriously considering an Outback. It looks to me like the current Rav but longer which means it will finally have the leg room of almost all it competitors have. Hopefully it will be wide enough to sit 3 in the back. The 3rd row seat is a joke. I had my Dad raise his in the HL....I'd be afraid to put my kids back there...if he was rear ended they would surely be injured. There is a law suit here waiting to happen! Seriously, if it can not accomadate humans safely by design, why put it in. You are not fooloing anyone who has a bigger SUV with a real 3rd row.

I am now unsure if I should wait or just by the Outback. The new Rav should be at least as good as its competitors in size but then again Honda's got a new V on the horizon too. Also, they are sure to sell alist at least for a while and now doubt there will be a price increase. Finally I'd be leary about buying a car in its first model year...my 02 Camry is rattle trap....then again so are the 03-05 models. Yes this will be a hard decision.....
  • Options
    You make broad generalizations; our 02 Camry has much more trouble free than our 05 Legacy, the Camry suffering a few interior trim issues but the Legacy having stranded my father on Rt 1 in Princeton NJ. That said, I'd agree with you regarding first year examples, even the best makes have their issues. Of note is the Subaru customer service (and dealerships, if you use the right one) are FAR above and beyond any experience I've had with any Honda-Toyota-Nissan folks (all the cars I grew up on and my family back home continues to own).

If you go with the Outback, get the 5M. The 4A is quite slow, with very soft acceleration from a stop, though passing isnt too bad. Or of course... GET THE XT!!!!

Good luck!

~alpha
  • Options
    Won't comment on the rest but the Outback is nowhere near the RAV in looks. These vehicles are in totally different categories. The Outback is a station-wagon (not there is anything wrong with that). The RAV is an SUV. A better comparison to the RAV would be the Forester (even that one is border line wagon). Just remember there is more inside room/space in a taller vehicle. The Highlander is shorter than the Camry but feels and has more useful interior space. The bottom line is the Outback is a wagon and the choice is yours to make. Maybe a van would be a better choice. Nothing beats it for hauling passengers and cargo.
  • Options
    A lot of Jeep fans might dispute the RAV4 = SUV claim. It's car-based and there's no low range, no solid axles, and AWD instead of 4WD (which isn't even standard).

Is a FWD RAV4 an SUV? Depends on your definition, but ask a Jeep owner if he/she thinks so, I doubt you'll get a yes.

Recreational, Active Vehicle with 4WD, isn't that what the acronym stands for? They made it look like an SUV but I'd call it more of a crossover, actually.

We agree that it's closer to a Forester, especially the outgoing model because the new one is quite a bit bigger.

-juice
  • Options
    typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Yes , agree RAV4 is not true SUV. Read that Jeep Grand Cherokee now comes with independent front axle, rear axle is still solid? Have not most true SUVs including Jeeps, been available with two wheel drive? I remember seeing catalog for old standard Cherokee with 2wd or 4wd.
  • Options
    I was not comparing the RAV to the OUTBACK. We actually are/were considering a Forester but kind of discovered the Outback along the way. The Outback does not pretend to be anything but a wagon--but likely the best wagon out there outpeforming many SUVs/WannBeUVs by the way. The Forester like the pre -06 Rav is more an SUV pretender. Still the Forester outranks just about all its competitors. Of course if only Subaru would raise it 3 inches and give it a truckier look...Oh Well.

The Rav is taller but I found the space in the Forester and/or Outback is more accomodating. I'd rather have my stuff spread out than piled high so I can not see out the rear window.

My original rant was really with Toyota for not being forthright on the Ravs new release. I mean my own dealer outright lied...assuming a redesigned RAV really hits the streets before next July!

You can not really compare the *new* RAV to anything yet; it does seam to be catching up to others in its class in terms of size. Will it price itself out of the market? Will it be too big for its following? WIll it be too small for Highlander owners who are peaved the new HL is getting bigger to compete with the Pilot? Time will tell. Timing is bad for me right now...I'll let you guys be the guinea pigs this time...I did that with my Camry...never again!
  • Options
    Australian suppliers sell lift kits for Foresters. You could try to import one.

And before any one jumps in, I'll point out that the Aussie Foresters actually do have a low range. Skid plates, too.

-juice
  • Options
    inkink Member Posts: 10
    CR-V has 5-speed!!!! why can't the new toyota rav4 have one!?!?! WHY!?!?!?
    it would be much quieter, and more fuel efficient!!! but NO!!! I like toyotas but when i start looking at what they actually come equipped with other cars such as honda's cr-v become more and more appealing!!! :(
    any suggestions why it might be better to have 4 speed in the new rav4 and not 5? i can't think of any!!!!!
  • Options
    scottkopperudscottkopperud Member Posts: 3
    I asked a few days ago about the new "third-row" seating in the 2006 Rav4. (ie: the easy flat system) Well... :)
    The 2006 Siena uses the same type of seats in the third row and they're great! Now, whereas the Siena's third row will seat three (using a 60/40 split, each section folding flat independently) the Rav4's third row seats two with a 50/50 split, each seat independent of the other, and both seats, when up, providing a much higher and more comfortable seat (with actual depth for the lower legs and feet) than the Highlander's third row. For those who don't like the spare tire on the back of the vehicle, think of the comfort and storage you'd be giving up just to have the spare tire "inside" all nice and cozy and warm? :confuse: I think it makes sense to have the "full size" spare on the outside rather than resort to a "temp" spare, or worse yet, "run flat" tires like the AWD Siena uses. :lemon:
  • Options
    if you go for the third row seat option with 2006 rav4 it will automatically eliminate the trunk subfloor storage space. and you absolutely need it in an suv, or you need a pull out cover as in forester to hide whatever you have in you trunk. i find it is a small thing i use all the time.
  • Options
    This is an issue with a lot of 3-row SUVs.

One nifty solution I've seen is a cover that slides over from one side. So it can remain with or without the 3rd row deployed. Pretty nifty.

-juice
  • Options
    the car has the tinted windows...something I wish Subarus would come with!
  • Options
    topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Does the 06 RAV4 has Nav as an option? I went to the Toyota site and it did not mention nav in their announcement. I saw some photo of a nav screen but not sure if it is only for Europe or here also. Also when will the V6 available? would it be at launch in December or later? thanks.
  • Options
    If not, don't overlook the portable ones. We love our Garmin StreetPilot c320. Check out the NAV thread for more details if you're interested.

-juice
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Navigation should be available.

A V6 will be available, but I'm not sure if its going to be at launch.
  • Options
    deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    The V6 will be available a couple of months later. Sometime in early February I believe.
  • Options
    Nice that's it's offered, but keep in mind it usually runs about $2 grand, and my portable cost me $404 delivered, under $500 with a big SD card for extra memory.

So it's 1/4 of the price. Plus with a battery I can take it inside to program addresses, and move it from car to car, even without the power cord.

-juice
  • Options
    Agreed.

My HP setup works pretty well, plus I get a PDA with wireless internet access when I head to Panera.

And it goes from my little car to my medium one to my van easily, and its all wireless.

It works, but its best when you have a co-pilot programming it.
  • Options
    And $2 grand buys you a heck of a nice laptop.

One guy in the NAV thread put one in his van, he also plays DVDs for his kids. It's one or the other, though. Obviously.

Though I guess someone could invent picture-in-picture for a laptop. :D

-juice
  • Options
    Two Grand nowadays can buy you 2 laptops....

Problem solved.

Although its hard to beat the cool factor of having it built in...
  • Options
    jimc16jimc16 Member Posts: 21
    The 2006 RAV4 is listed as having electric 4WD. Does anybody know what is the difference and advantages and disadvantages of 4WD vs AWD. I will be driving only on-road, and if I get a V6, it seems like I would want AWD. Isn't 4WD for off road?
  • Options
    4WD is typically manually engaged, whereas AWD is automatically engaged by the car itself.

But a lot of times car companies will call AWD systems "4WD" to make it sound real.

The Toyota Highlander's like that. It says 4WD, but its really AWD. Which just adds to the confusion.
  • Options
    Just to add to the confusion. Many AWD systems will only kick in when the front wheels start to slip (CRV, Matrix and others). These systems should provide better gas mileage. The current (4WD) RAV has equal distribution to all wheels at all times. Appearantly the new RAV will have a new system similar to the one in the Matrix. However, it will have the additional feature that will allow it to be locked in to permanent 4WD. The best of both worlds. Then there are vehicles that are available with low end 4WD systems. They are usually found in trucks and SUVs for off-roading. It is not recommended that these systems be used in regular or normal driving conditions. They are hard on the tranny and gas mileage really takes a beating.
  • Options
    gracejoangracejoan Member Posts: 11
    I am open for suggestions from you who know far more about all these vehicles than I do!!
    I had one of the very first RAV's in my area, and now am on my 3rd one. The have all been 4WD automatics. The last 2 I did the lease thing as I like to have rather new vehicles and it seemed the way to go.
    Most of my driving would be considered local..I don't need it for heavy snow or anything like that..I wonder why I keep getting 4WD? One thing I like about the RAV is the way th rar door opens..sideways rather than up/down. Funny, I have had many men comment on the convenience of this when noticing in a parking lot.I don't think I could go back to a sedan..I thought about the Matrix, but have noticed some unfavorable comments about its power!
    I would appreciate hearing what you all might come up with for suggestions for me. My lease ends early August...seems like that might be a good time IF I do another RAV...
    Thanks...Joan
  • Options
    The new RAV will have a different on demand AWD system. We also had a 1998 RAV and found the Matrix way more functional. Also, our AWD Matrix was quieter and quicker than the 1998 RAV. I'm not saying the Matrix has a lot of power. It had more than the 1998 and it suited us fine. The current RAV now has 2.4 engine. The comparison probably no longer applies for power. However, we chose the Martix because of the larger interior space and functionality. He seemed less cramped compared to the current RAV. We will give the new RAV a look. It sounds and looks like it may be our next vehicle. Time will tell. Take the Matrix for a spin. Take your time sitting in it and observing all the features it has and try to get a feel for it. You will have a few months to compare it to the new RAV. Good luck.
  • Options
    wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    What is the latest info on what hp the 6 cyl will have ?
  • Options
    The Rav gets bigger, gets a 3rd seat and a v6....you figure that has to cost somewhere near a base Highlander, maybe more if they sell at MSRP for a while? Any pricing yet?
  • Options
    The previous RAV was not even close in popularity to Honda’s CR-V and if the new 2006 RAV will cost close to the base Highlander, again you won’t see too many 2006 RAVs on the streets. I own a Toyota, and was looking to buy another one, but it seems that it is simply too expensive for what it is offered and the Toyota quality is not what it used to be :( In my opinion Toyota falls behind. Currently I am considering between RAV or CR-V.
  • Options
    and what's up with all the talk about 2006 RAV intruding on the Highlander territory. The dimentions of the new bigger 2006 RAV are within millimeters of the current CR-V dimensions. so toyota is playing catch up with the very popular honda cr-v and 2006 rav should cost the same or even less then CR-V if toyota serious about attracting customers.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    see my posts #319 and #320..

I think the new V6 will be a detuned 3.5L ~250 HP. WAY more power than the current Highlander except for the HH @ 268 HP.

But after they link the HSD to the 2.4L in the Camry next year it would make sense to add the RAV 2.4 to the HSD lineup.
  • Options
    bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    Toyota already confirmed a 3.5L V6 w/ 268hp. So it won't be detuned. A new Highlander is expected this fall so they didn't update it.
  • Options
    All this talk about 3.5L engine!!! Toyota itself said that most of their camrys are sold with 2.4L engines. and camry is 100 kg havier then current rav, maybe the new rav will be as heavy as camry, but V6 is 100 kg heavier than V4, so you won't get as mush of a gain in power as you might think. and besides i tried them all 1.8, 2.4, 3.0. 3.3 and to tell you the truth i find that 1.8 is quite enough, i don't miss 3.3 AT ALL. i'd rather sit in traffic with only 4 cyl working and not 6. Toyota redesign their 2.4L engine for quietness and now most of the reviewers seem to agree that toyota's V4 is almost as refined as V6. so if you want a little more power, quietness and economy toyota's v4 is hard to beat.
    3.5 V6 is MONEY NOT WELL SPEND.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I agree with you all the way there on the 2.4L in the Camry and in the '05 RAV but the '06 RAV will be almost as big as the Highlander for one year. The 4c Highlander died after the first 2 years. No one wanted it except the ultrafrugal. Also starting @ $25K it was overpriced. If the New '06 RAV with the same 2.4L starts at $22K then Yota is competitive.

For the very reasons you mentioned I dont think the 3.5L will be a big seller either. The RAV buyer is not a high performance freak. As a matter of fact 'Yota might get more sales from a 2.4L-HSD combo... But.. for the time being the 3.5L RAV acts as support for the V6 Highlander in the same way that the XLE Camry V6 acts as support for the Avalon series. Nature abhors a vacuum and so does the market.
  • Options
    Fine for a 5 passenger model, but imagine having 7 people and some gear inside the new, bigger model, then asking that same engine to get them around.

I think the V6 is a wise choice if you opt for the 3 row model and plan to use that 3rd row. Or if you routinely tow or haul heavy loads.

For most people, though, the 2.4l is fine.

-juice
  • Options
    not really.....and the key word here is "routinely"! I had five people and some stuff in the trunk in the car with 1.8L and guess what? it was fine! of course, you have to step on gas a little bit more, but it is not like the car could not go 140 kmh. Mercedes-Benz calculated that statistically people have only 1.2 persons in their cars! not even two! so unless most of the time you have 7 people in your car, 3.5L is a bad choice. my friend owns a driving school and has a 3.3 camry and she hates it, because she sais it is suprising how those little cost increments of owning 3.3 engine tend to add up at the end of the year.
  • Options
    tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    Well, I just got some ordering info from my local Canadian Toyota Dealer. The news is not good for me....maybe other people will be satisfied.

This first order (what they call Nov and Dec allotments) is only for 4 cylinder versions....6 cylinders to follow.

It seems that Toyota Canada has made things really simple.....just 2 flavours Base 4WD and upper grade 4WD. Pricing is not announced but the upper grade version will be $4000-4400. more than the base.

Automatics only....no 5 speed option! No mention on if it is 4 speed or 5 speed auto.

Here are the highlights:

BASE RAV4 has the following:
    Power doors
    A/C
    Power Windows
    Keyless Entry
    Cruise Control
    Dual front airbags
    17" styled steel wheels
    Vehicle Stability,Control Traction Control, On demand electronic 4WD
    Super Electronically controled Transmission (ECT)
    ABS
    Electric Power Steering

The Upper Grade Rav4 adds the following for $4000-4400 more:
    6 disc CD changer
    dual zone A/C
    upgraded seat material
    power drivers seat with lumbar
    leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter
    Large capacity storage box under rear deck
    footwell lamps
    Alloy Wheels
    Privacy glass
    Chrome grill, moulded spare tire cover
    Power moonroof
    colored door handles and rear spoiler
    Fog lamps

Towing capacity rated at 2000lbs and 60 litre fuel tank.

So there you have it....what REALLY BOTHERED ME:

No side airbags!!!!!!
    No mention of a 3'rd row seat (must be a 6 cyl only option)
    No Manual Tranny

Don't they notice Kia and Hyundai adding side and curtain airbags to everything!!!

The base unit has decent features if the price is good. My guess Base at $26-27K Canadian with the upper at $30-31K.

I'm sure the US cars will have more options available...likely inc side airbags which is the current situation (2005 Rav no side airbags in Canada but yes in US)

I had high hopes but now I'm feeling bad....wife would like a 3'rd row seat for kids and their friends and I wanted side airbags....have to keep limping along with my 98 Forester S....2007 Mitsubishi Outlander??
  • Options
    I am sure now that toyota is falling behind its main competitors. Honda's accord cost almost exactly the same as camry, but 30,000 cnd $ accord comes with features such as telescoping steering wheel and automatic a/c. You can get automatic ac but only in V6 top model and no telescoping steering wheel in any model, but it will cost you something like 37000! Yeah, right...who would buy a 37000 dollar camry!? all CR-V models (even the base one)come with side air bags and 5 speed automatic transmission is an option. neither of which you are telling 2006 rav has. so.....
    i drove Forester...nice, very nice!!! Subaru will have a completely redesign forester for the late 2007. what do you think is it worth the wait? should i pass on 2006 rav?
  • Options
    suvtimesuvtime Member Posts: 58
    ink if your not sure I would wait until you see the 07 Forester. Don't forget the CR-V is getting redesigned in 07 also.
  • Options
    moggiemoggie Member Posts: 6
    I'm also feeling less excited about the new RAV4. I was only considering it because it will have a third seat. I'd only need to use it about 20 times a year to haul another two 100-150 pound kids and would much rather stick with the 4cyl. I think you're right that the third seat will only be available with the 6cyl (I think that's the way it is with the current Highlander, too). No side airbags will be a deal-breaker for me. It looks like I'm going to have to shlump around in my Sienna minivan a while longer.
  • Options
    tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    Just to remind people that my list above is for Canadian vehicles. US Rav's will likely have optional side airbags....even in the base car.

I also forgot to mention that Base Rav comes with a telescopic steering wheel.

Next Tuesday there should be much more info on the Rav from the US launch.
  • Options
    Thanks for the preliminary info. Is that official? Don't care about the manual tranny (demand for them is too low). I don't know of too many 4 cyl SUVs that have a 3rd row seat available (nice to have only). With the air side bags, it would be nice if they were made available. I'll reserve comment until it actually arrives.
  • Options
    17" rims are nice, on the base model, too. Some competitors still use 15"s.

2000 lbs towing? That's it? Pretty wimpy for a V6. Why have all that power and then not let it do the job it could do?

-juice