Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I won't repeat what I posted (it was pretty straight forward) and this will be my last post on this subject. It appears that a negative post will translate to a posistive post as far as your concerned. I guess with some people the glass will always half empty (as opposed to half full).

If it does become something, I'm quite confident we will hear about it (for some reason you would like for this to happen). However, for now let's stick with what is (the facts, not BS). You had a bad break with your windshield (sorry for the pun). Toyota has agreed to pay for the repairs (yes with "Good Faith" funds). Seems pretty simple to me. If wish to continue bashing Toyota for your unfortunatate incident, that no one seems to have experienced, go ahead. I have better things to do. The weather is great and I'm going to have a beer. Good luck in your one man quest, whatever it is.
  • atom164atom164 Member Posts: 10
    Please take off the rose colored glasses.. and step back into reality... That's it...
    It's pretty obvious that you've got some connection here either with Toyota or something like it or associated with it. Listen..the last time I checked, I bought the car because I liked it. Wait, actually I've posted before that I love the car! My family loves it and I think it was a great investment. I found this website because I thought it would help me.. or at least post on the expereinces I have been having. I have not bashed Toyota on any of these posts... I've simply stated the facts, which is what your representatives have either told me or questioned me about; which all have been recorded (ya know, for training purposes).If you've got a problem with the information supplied and then I've posted here, take it up with your staff, not me.
    I love my 2006 RAV4 and if your rear window defect becomes an overwhelming safety issue for you, I guess then we may meet one another during the NHTSA public hearing about it. I'll make sure I look for the Toyota rep with the half empty beer in hand.
    I am happy to hear that you will not be posting any more on this subject. Please go handle a couple customer service calls during your down time, or happy hour.. or both.. By the way... thanks for wishing me luck on my one woman quest...

Amy
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I guess with some people the glass will always half empty (as opposed to half full).

As a rule the problem turns out to be that the glass is too big. In any case, I am happy to hear that both of you will be returning to more civil discourse and remaining on topic rather than on each other. :)

tidester, host
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Sorry Amy, I realized after I posted that I should have said "person". It was too late to edit. Just trying to look at your situation objectively and in a civil way. I had to apologize for the gender thing. Also, to inform you that I don't work for Toyota. Quite frankly it's none of business. This is my last post.

Peter
  • ehrav4ehrav4 Member Posts: 1
    I just brought my 2 1/2 week old RAV to the dealer today to have them check on a rattling sound I hear ONLY when the AC is on. It starts with a humming sound, and then ends with a short but rather audible rattle. :( They say the AC turns on and off, and that this is perfectly normal. It gets more audible when I'm at a stop, with my foot on the brake--or when I'm coming to a stop. They said this was normal. Is this so??? My sister doesn't hear any from her equally brand new RAV.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    My sister doesn't hear any from her equally brand new RAV.

If possible, try swapping vehicles and listening.

tidester, host
  • hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    Yeah, that's the thing. I had a customer for my
    '02 Explorer (I always sell private, never trade in), and I
    figured if gas prices shot up, I'd be stuck with it. This
    way, the $$$ for the Explorer paid for about half of the Rav4.
    Jim....you're right, and I'm starting to get dizzy also! :P
    Have you found out anything "new & exiting" being offered on
    the '07's? I know you're waiting till December or so, right?
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    No news on 2007 that I can find other than some comments on other sites from Canada that that all models will come with side curtain bags standard.

I need replacemnt car in December so will go talk to dealers again in Sept I guess when details of 2007 should be out. I do believe sales are slowing a little just now but that might just be the summer season. My local dealer has 17 sitting there and that is a lot compared to say May.

I am getting mine in all chrome so there are no paint chips and with the prison truck wire in the windows to help against glass breakage. Also gonna try to get the one speed tranny so there is no shift confusion. I will also need the V10 to make up for the 4 speeds missing from the gearbox I guess.

Enjoy your RAV4, some people are taking this RAV stuff a little to serious!
    I know you've been watching the prices gradually come down over the last 6 months or so, but if you go with a 2007,
    won't you have to start all over again...pricewise? You're
    not thinking of a leftover...or are you?
    By the way do you have any of these erratic accel or shifing problems that are mentioned? I forgot if yours is I4 or V6. I have never noticed it in several test drives.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    My dealer in Canada is already ordering in 2007 models and the info is out on the changes, so I'd be surprised if US dealers weren't already at least close to the same point.

Nothing dramatic enough for me to need to wait for, so I went ahead and ordered a 2006 V6. I'm hoping that these driveability issues are somewhat isolated - there are plenty of people on other forums who seem to have no complaints. The V6 model I test drove didn't suffer from any issues apart from the sensitive throttle.
    Price wise I don't think the "MSRP" baloney will start again. Local dealers have 10-20 sitting on lots now. My dealer even has several v6 models sitting there for two weeks now. This is a guess but the "new factor" is over in NY I think. I could have bought in March for $500 over invoice at my local dealer so I assume I can get a similar deal in the future. I have a friend who got one for $350 over invoice off the lot in late June. Fitzmall has several with every thing I want now for $100 under invoice. I want the side curtain bags and they were not available on Sport in NY. My guess is they will be standard for 2007. No big rush here. If I can't get it in Ny, Fitzmall is only a 40 min flt and 5 hour drive home so one way or another I will get what I want. Hey maybe Audi will knock $20 grand off the A6 wagon for 2007 and I can get one of those?
    Yeah, you'll probably end up at Fitz. The NY dealers ain't gonna beat their price....especially on an '07 model. Besides, don't you save on sales tax? By the way....no erratic acceleration problems with my I4 whatsoever. Was that reported only on some I4's or V6's.....I forget.
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    I looked back and have no idea what you are talking about.
    I made no insults. Do you take it personally because I don't like the rear door design? :confuse:
    If you don't like my opinion about the rear door, you need to get over it.

I like Edmunds because I like cars and I've learned alot about them here. Not everyone will have the same likes and dislikes. Its all subjective.

Thats why I'm strongly considering a 2007 CR-V. :P
  • mterrellmterrell Member Posts: 21
    I also have had problems with glass. But that was rocks on the highway Although it was two times with in weeks of each other. I thought the glass cracked to easy and should be tested. I have filed a complaint with the highway safety guys. My insurance repaired both times. If they couldn't have been repaired(ie,crack to long) I would have had to pay to have the window replaced. And I have the acceleration problem .I notice it more when AC is on. A little is ok but no response that is a problem. Now the Trans has started making a clunking sound when I let off the gas. Now I love the car but it has less then 6000 miles on it. If i have to take to the dealer for this I may leave in something else. oh I will mention the paint chips next time.
  • mterrellmterrell Member Posts: 21
    Funny there was a program on tv the other day about ghosting. That is a Company will have some one read blogs about their product. Hey maybe we will all meet at the NHTSA public hearing? :)
    Funny, you should mention it. One of the people here who reponded about the rear window breaking seems to be a total appolgist for Toyota. Both on this site and another he belittles both the people who report the problems and the scope of the problem. I have no idea how wide spread some of these problems are since I suspect that a large majority of RAV4 oweners do not report if the do not have problems. But the problems exist at least in small numbers and people should be aware of them.
    You do not save on sales tax if you go out of state since you have to pay it at some point. One downside from buying out of state by the ways is the NY lemon law may not apply. Not that we should need it with a RAV4 but one never know.

One of those guys on the RAV4 line in Japan could always have a bad Monday thinking about those North Korean missles flying over and forget to put something in the car correctly.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I was thinking "Friday 5pm build" but I like your missile theory. :D

-juice
  • toronto1818toronto1818 Member Posts: 2
    Can I ask how much you paid for your 2006 V6 in Canada? I'm thinking of getting a RAV4 and live in Toronto, Canada. It sucks that we pay roughly $7-8K more than US for same car.

I heard 2007 RAV4 comes with standard side airbags (which you can't get as an option in Canada except for the top of the line model! Grr!).
  • ssfavassfava Member Posts: 1
    has anyone found a way to carry 2 kayaks on the 2006 rav4? i just traded in my minivan and found out that the load weight of the rails is only 75lbs. i can't fit 2 kayaks on the factory rack- anyone sound a solution?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If Yakima or Thule don't have clips available yet, I'd email them for an estimate and let them know you are interested in some aftermarket towers and rails. You can find their fitment guides at their web pages.

A local boating store or REI may be able to help too.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Can that be right? What is the tax implication of driving up the Canada and buying one? It seems hard to believe but then again persciption drugs are much cheaper....

If true, what the dowside to purchasing there?
  • toronto1818toronto1818 Member Posts: 2
    You've got it the wrong way... I was griping that it costs MORE to buy in Canada than US (by about $7-8K).

You guys have it a lot better down there...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Plus you're speedometer would be in KM/Hour, right?

-juice
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I'm not an economist, but the Canadian dollar isn't valued at an equal rate to the US dollar. So, it seems to me that your salary (in Canadian $) is probably higher. So you have to spend more Canadian $'s to buy stuff. Can't have it both ways.
  • atom164atom164 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you Peter for the apology. This window thing has become more than I expected.. and I apologize if I became a bit too harsh.. I appreciate you taking the objective road or playing devil's advocate, but trust me, Toyota is really good at playing that part.

Amy
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    Anyone know when to expect the 07 RAV4?I'm planning on getting one despite all this windshield talk.I was wondering if anyone who has a V6 Limited 4x4 has had transmission problems or any of the hesitation problems i've heard about.I was'nt sure if the hesitation problem was isolated or universel?Is it just the I4?
    Well my dealer has told me they expect to get 2007 RAV4s in October with info the month before. This tracks with some printed info I have seen.
    http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.asp
    One dealer told me that if it is not on a boat out of Japan by early august it wiil be a 2007.

Lots of RAV4 info and discussion on the net.

On other sites the transmission problem seems to apply to both but more so in the I4. It is really hard to tell how wide spread it is but it since I am sure the forums represnt only a small part of al RAV4 owners. I get the impression it is not RAV4 unique. By the way if you read todays Wall St. Journal the president of Toyota held a press conference and apologized for Toyota recalls and problems. I am not a Toyota owner but they do seem to work on making things right even if slowly.

I am waiting to buy a 2007 also but do not need it till December so I will get serious in September. I imagine if you realy want one early on you could talk to a dealer about it anytime. Talk to dealer by phone or online. They are not as bad as some people make them out to be but it is a mixed thing. My local dealer has been very good. They next dealer down the road has been a real baloney artist.

By the way, my dealer in NY had 16 2006s today, four V6s so the cars are out there.
    "Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport is examining Toyota's handling of recent recalls, and ministry officials are hinting that some sort of public reprimand for Toyota may be in order. Any such official reprimand would be largely symbolic, an official familiar with the matter said, and probably wouldn't carry any fines or penalties.

For Toyota, however, quality and safety are the cornerstones of its entire global operations, and despite denials of breaking any rules, Toyota went out of its way to show contrition for the recalls at its news conference in Tokyo. At the same time, Toyota boasted of no new products or expansion plans, as has become common at its recent media events. The company gave no press materials to the media.

Toyota's senior management team even shunned the open-collar, short-sleeved shirts the company has adopted for summer to help cope with Japan's sticky weather, instead appearing in dark suits.

The message behind the funereal atmosphere was clear: "I take this seriously and see it as a crisis," Mr. Watanabe said. He then bowed deeply in front of the cameras, adding, "I want to apologize deeply for the troubles we have caused."
    "
    I just did a search to get some specific data about the recalls. First, the 06 RAV is not involved. The problem has to do with the potential failure of an engine component that results in an oil leak. Most of the vehicles involved are trucks that aren't sold in the U.S. There was also a major recall about a year ago on a suspension part that was scared during the mfg. process (not assembly) and as a result could wear prematurely. Oh yeah, there was also a recall for the Camry because of a label. Ooohh.

You can make a gazillion mechanical anythings and not have problems somewhere in the process. Seems to me that Toyota has stepped up to the plate. If you're looking for perfection, you won't find it. Nothing has exploded or caught on fire, no parts have fallen off.
    Thanks for the info i'm looking to get one around december also.From everything you've seen are you more likely to get something else or are you still getting the RAV?I'm really looking forward to getting one but some of these problems are giving me pause.I'm not expecting perfection but for the 27,000 i would expect quailty.
    Well these items are a concern but I think they are a small percentage of the cars. So I am 99% headed toward a loaded RAV4 Sport AWD V6 for Nov-Dec. By the way, my post from the WSJ was just information and not judgement on Toyota as such. They seem to stand behind the cars and I figure the more time goes by the more of these issues they will fix.

Hey you judge the info and make your choice!
    some of these problems are giving me pause

I've owned a V6 Limited since April 8th and haven't had one single problem. The car is solid, runs great, I'm averaging 24.9 mpg ... no Gremlins to be found. I really think much is being made over a few isolated incidents.
    Thats what i'm looking to get,The V6 Limited. Glad to hear no problems on you're end.I'm looking forward to getting mine this winter.Hopefully they'll be avalible in the Cincinnati region if i want one now i gotta go to Indian or get a dealer trade which i'm not fond of.
    Well there is nothing wrong with a dealer trade if you can get what you want that way. Even if it comes iwth 200 miles that is no big deal. My present car was a trade and had 181 miles since it came from upstate. It has been troublefree.

Since you really cannot "order" a RAV4, a dealer trade might be the only way you get what you want even with 2007.

The prices are slowly coming down by the way, Fitzmall is showing several Limited at $100 to $300 under invoice.
  • moonroovesmoonrooves Member Posts: 18
    So what's the talk re a hybrid Rav4?? I am very interested in the hybrid car thing, but won't consider purchasing a hybrid car unbless it can tow 3500 pounds, as the V6 Rav4 can.
  • moonroovesmoonrooves Member Posts: 18
    Come on, Toyota- give us a V6 hybrid- all the upper scale Chevrolet Silverado and Ford 150 truck market will be looking YOUR way!
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    How about a 4cyl hybrid?

I know you can't tow with it, but when there is war with Iran you'll need the best mileage you can. Unless you have a lot of disposable income.
  • writenrollwritenroll Member Posts: 1
    You're not alone!
    Last Thursday, the rear passenger window of my 2006 RAV4 shattered for no apparent reason. I was at a stop sign when the driver side rear passenger window 'imploded' with a loud pop, as if it were under great pressure. Luckily, I had just dropped off my toddler at daycare--a pile of glass chips shot over to her side.

A large SUV was stopped next to me at the time. The other driver witnessed the event and helped me rule out any external causes, such as a rock or (god forbid) bullet. The outside temp was 65 degrees, driver side window down about an inch, inside fan on '2'...normal driving conditions.

At the dealer, the service manager told me that he was sure it wouldn't be covered by warranty, but that it was up to Toyota. It was a short call: 'yeah, I got a customer with a rear passenger window that he says just imploded....uh huh...I see...OK then.' He hung up and said 'I was way off...Toyota will will fully cover the replacement.' In fact, they'll likely replace both rear passenger windows.
    Th part is on nationwide critical backorder, so I'm stuck with a (complimentary) fleet car for two or more weeks.

Is this a defect or a fluke? No idea, but I've read three other identical accounts for this year's model on the web, so its definitely a known issue.

I'm wondering whether the power window's lifting mechanism is to blame. What's the possibility that the lifting device pushes the glass against the seal with too much force, creating the conditions for the glass to fail?
  • raviola4raviola4 Member Posts: 52
    Seeing memo's on cracked rear window and side windows has me concerned about ordering vent visors (in track) for my 06 Rav 4...... Anyone own intrack vent visors etc. Also, best site to purchase. Local dealers have nothing. :confuse:
  • klcrdklcrd Member Posts: 8
    I live in the East and looking for Rav 4 6 cylinder 4x4 2006 having difficult time locating one. Anyone having similar problem.

Thanks
  • sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    klcrd,
    They can be difficult to find. I got a V6 LTD 4x4 w/3rd row, but I had to go to Maryland to get it. darcars.com if it helps.
  • idubidub Member Posts: 1
    Just thought I should give you my experience: I just got one RAV4 Limited V6, leather seats, moonroof, JBL system. The dealer just happened to have one like that on the lot. I understand that there are not that many with all that unless you order. I don't have a 3rd row seating, but that gives you loads of extra storage under the rear cargo mat, and behind rear seats. It's a real fun car to drive and it's got plenty of power. Feels really tight and together. I drive up and down the NJ turnpike (about 140 miles a day) and although I've only had it for a few days, it's GREAT... just my 2 cents
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    My claims she smelled anti-freeze while in the car yesterday. I see no visible signs of leakage. On other sites I see numeroous posts from folks experiencing the same thing. Anyone ever notice this or get a solution?
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    I've had the WeatherTechs in-channel window visors installed for a couple months now, no problems other than the driver's auto up sometimes causes the window to open when it contacts the visor, but it doesn't usually happen cuz I leave the windows open a bit all the time and use the manual postion of the switch to close the window.

Macneil has 2 choices, dark and light tint in-channel, mine are the light tint.

WeatherTech

I noticed this smell a couple of times after parking in the garage. Never noticed it outside. There was no sign of leaking anywhere. That was months ago and I haven't noticed it since.
    Well my local dealer in NY has several. Actually several local dealers have several. Fitzmall and Carmax have some in MD at less than invoice. Shop the net or get your dealer to trade for one.
    Well if you found a V6 with leather you are probably one of the .1% lucky ones. Good luck with it and keep us posted.