Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    2000lbs is for the 4cyl. 3500lbs for the 6cyl.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    The RAV will be priced higher...it will sell at MSRP for a while for sure. If they were smart it should now excede the honda crv in many ways...but perhaps not for long as the new V is set to come out soon. My guess is both will cost more. Toyota will price theirs higher and take advantage of those who are willing to pay MSRP...that wave may last until the new C comes out...which no doubt will be priced more as well...who knows! Funny, we were going to wait for a RAV until our dealer told us no new redesign untill 07 (they lied to get us to buy an 05). So we looked at the V and loved it and had very good eoy pricing...but not in a desirable color. So we waited for an 06 V. But now the price has gone up overall on what a V sells for...likely do to it being a decent SUV if you want decent gas milage and likely increased sales. Then we discovered a Forester X, equiped better than a V LX but for 21.2K out the door (automatic, includes rebate). We are just about ready to put a deposit down when I read a newly redesigned Forester is on the horizon. Well, we are tired of waiting! We may just buy an Outback though. It makes no bones about what it is and does everything well. The Forester actually rates better and has almost as much saftely equipment as the Honda, (and if the posts above are true , the 06 RAV). In fact, over all, I think it rates safer. If Subaru wants a REALLY big seller though they need to get more rear legrooom in the rear of the Forester (I am sure Toyota tended to that in the new RAV) and make the sucker sit a little taller.

If there truly is a $4k delta in Rav pricing the base better list at 19K!
    I think you should buy the Forester (you seem to be leaning towards it) or whatever vehicle you decide on. It will drive you crazy waiting for something better (improvements will always exist). In reality, we all think we are going to miss out on a better product or deal. Manufacturers will always try to out-do each other. Prices will also move up and down depending on a vehicle's popularity and supply & demand. Once you decide, don't look back (be happy and enjoy). Incidentally, Toyota now owns controlling interest in Subaru.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    US version of 4 cyl FWD Highlander has 3rd row option, but unfortunately not in every region.
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    Juice - could towing capacity be low because it's limited by the car's frame and suspension? It's still going to be a car-based SUV, correct?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Ah, now that's better. I bet the 3500 is limited by the chassis more than the engine.

Forester was just face-lifted so the new one is two full years out (MY 2008). If you don't like the new look of the Tribeca, might as well buy now, because the next Forester is expected to get that nose.

Toyota's ownership is 8.7%, enough to exert plenty of influence, but not necessarily full control.

GM owned more than 20%, and Subaru refused to sell a TrailBlazer clone (Saab got it instead and Subaru made the Tribeca). Subaru's ads compared the Legacy to a Grand Am's poor crash test results.

They're pretty indy, though I expect they'll be more willing to work closely with Toyota. I won't mind if they do.

-juice
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I heard they bought out GM or something but what is a controlling interest?
    Toyota now owns 51% of the shares (after purchasing GM's portion). Subaru, which is owned by Fuji Industries, is a very small player in this field.
    The towing capacity is normal for this size of vehicle. The 6cyl. will be able to tow 3,500 lbs.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Maybe Toyota is afraid to equip the 4 cyl RAV with a 3rd row seat, as then people will likely compare it to the $5-6000 less expensive but similarily-sized Mazda5.
    Other than AWD & extra ground clearance, there's not much difference between them.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the Mazda comes with a stick. Even if it is low volume, why drop the stick? The 4-cyl is the same powertrain as the Camry, which continues to have the stick.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

And that car has proven more popular than they expected. Forecasts were low, but still, I can't find one to even test drive. Dealer has a one-month wait just to get one back in stock.

Maybe there would be demand for a RAV4 3-row 2.4l model.

-juice
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    You can't find the Mazda5 because they had a total recall. Apparently some buyers with automatic transmissions were keeping it in 2nd gear up to 65mph which was causing the exhaust to heat up causing fires. Mazda recalled them all and took those in the showrooms off. A heat shield has been manufactured and are being sent out. Mazda is resetting their warranty to begin Dec. 1st and giving them a $500 check. On their forum most LOVE their 5 but a few are really unhappy the way they were treated by the DEALER. The 5 is definitely an option to the RAV.

I drove a 5 and really liked it. However I want to see the RAV and even more hope Toyota brings to the U.S. their WISH, which is the same as the 5. Honda has the Stream. I read where Toyota was moving the Matrix to Scion and would have a new larger sport wagon. That's for 07.

http://toyota.jp/wish/

http://www.honda.co.jp/STREAM/

For now I don't like that the new RAV will only have a 4 speed automatic on the 4 cylinder. Hopefully they will change to a 5 speed by the time they come out. I would hope this would give it at least and possibly more then 30mph highway. The Mazda5 has a 4 speed auto but expect a midyear change to 5 speed since their higher end M3 now has it.

Do you think we will be able to get the short wheelbase RAV as sold in Europe? Probably not. :( I would think the new short wheelbase is still larger then the present RAV.
    I'd heard about that, but not about the part where they had to wait for the heat shield to arrive. So they are holding the new ones back, I guess.

-juice
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Recieved an email from Toyota.com saying that they annouced Rav4 today. But there is no new information in their site regarding the price and options etc. Anyone know what the available options are?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Is up on the Toyota website. The Flash configurator It is slow and cumbersome..

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/yourlife/rav4/index.html

I tried configuring a V6, but it did NOT give prices. :confuse:

Limited specs available at:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/rav4/rav06specs.pdf
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    FWD V6 5A rated at 20/28. Not bad for 269 horses!

FWD 4 4A rated at 24/29. Alright. (The Forester AWD 4A is rated 23/28. I'd guess thats what the RAV's AWD ratings will be. I wonder which one has more power?)

Cannot get Sport suspension (e.g. "Sport" trim line) with 3rd row seat
    No Nav on Options List

~alpha
    20/28 with the V6? That's excellent.

What about the AWD V6?

Forester now makes 173hp, which is slightly more than the RAV4 4 banger will have. I'd give Subaru the edge there, more power and probably slightly more fuel efficient as well.

Does the V6 need premium fuel?

-juice
    Juice, c'mon boss, we've been through this- the 173 isnt REAL. Subaru hasnt adopted the newest SAE measurements, and therefore that number isnt 'certified'.
    Hence, my comment.

~alpha
  • jessi2jessi2 Member Posts: 1
    Im impressed so far. Anyone have any ideas when the pricing will be available? Also, new to buying, how long does it usually take for a new model to not be sold at MSRP? Should i wait a few months??
    Gotcha, different measuring sticks.

Don't be surprised if the ratings are accurate or even go up, Subaru is famous for sand-bagging.

-juice
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    18" wheels available with the Sport package - a little surprising.
  • greglbsgreglbs Member Posts: 6
    I was surprised to see that the new Rav4 is not going to support NAV. I realize the aftermarket units are nice but nothing really beats a well integrated factory NAV. The NAV on the HL is a good example of this.

Anyone think that maybe this will change by V6 release date or is it cast in concrete for this model year?
    Does the Highlander offer 18"s?

The little brother is going to leap frog the big brother!

-juice
  • easy2t2easy2t2 Member Posts: 31
    They are saying 24/29 gor 4cyl, but current Rav4 is 24/30 for FWD. Why do they say "improved fuel economy"???? it is worst!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    With the Monster V6 and 18's it will support the V6 Highlander in it's last year.
    $26-28000 for a Limited RAV AWD
    $28-29000 for a Std Highlander 2WD
    If done properly it keeps the Highlander from being eaten alive by the last model year buyers. You choose - a loaded rocket or a std package people-mover.

He announced:
    0-60 mpg in < 7 secs !!!!! Wowsa...
    easy does it. the current RAV4 FWD that gets the 24/30 is the 5 speed manual. the new RAV is only available with the slushbox.

~alpha
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    same here. Nav is a must have for me.. Everything else about RAV4 is ideal (good power, perfect size for soon to be empty nester, look good). May be I have to wait for the RDX or the new CRV...Mazda 6 has Nav this year also. Anyway RAV4 is off the list so far...
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I wonder what the legroom measurements are for that tiny 3rd row.

If the measurements are right, I can skip the Odyssey and get a V6 2WD RAV4.
    I think somewhere in the specs it says 30"? Tight, obviously. Dunno if you can push forward the 2nd row seats to give the 3rd row more legroom.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    According to the Car Connection, the V6 AWD is rated 20/27 while the FWD 4 cyl is 24/31. Really respectible. Almost in line with many midsize sedans.
    I think they announced today that the 2nd row does slide,, but it's still smaller by a little than the Highlander and that 3rd row is only for 2 10 yr olds at best.
  • clamclam Member Posts: 36
    Lol, keep your pants on. The initial mileage estimates NEVER hold water in real world tests and driving. They're either preliminary estimates done by the manufacturer, designed to sell cars, or by the EPA, whose testing methods only yeild numbers that are guidelines at best.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    I sent an email to Toyota asking why no 5 speed automatic/manual which SHOULD give better mpg then the 24/29 for the 4 cylinder. Still no answer...if they answer at all. :mad: Maybe they are planning a hybrid like on the 07 Camry 4 cylinder. :)
    I have a feeling with will be the hot model. 20/27 is great. I think that's better than the Vue Redline with the Honda 3.5l V6 (19/25), and roughly matches the auto Forester XT turbo's 21/26 overall.

I would love to see a comparison test between those three. Saturn needs better steering and seats, but otherwise, these are 3 fun powertrain choices you'd have in this segment.

Forester is the only one to offer a manual trans, though.

While EPA estimates can be way off, the road tests of the new Avalon show that Toyota's new line of V6s are both powerful and efficient. Real-world mileage is better than the less powerful outgoing model's.

-juice
    I wouldnt be surprised if a Hybrid RAV wasnt next along with the Sienna, Matrix and Tundra in 12-18 mos. After the 2.4L HSD Camry is launched, as another poster posited, the HSD would port easily to the RAV 2.4L.
  • jimmyjumpjimmyjump Member Posts: 4
    The second row does slide on the vehicle and provides a great amount of leg room. I sat in one with the drivers seat adjusted to a 6' driver and then slid the 2nd row seat all the way back. Amazingly the result was more room than the 4-runner and nearly as much as the landcruiser. This vehicle is remarkably engineered and very well packaged. That being said it is amazing they shoe horned in the 3rd row seats but if you have legs or are over the age of 4 you really dont want to sit back there! I will be getting the 2 row version with the cargo tray in the back.

PS to the post on the nav feature...OEM ones are a rip off. By a stand alone or a lap top and play DVD's and get nav for the same price! ;)
  • barnowlbarnowl Member Posts: 18
    ....any news on a Manual Transmission option ? have been to the Toyota.com 2006 RAV4 "configurator" website and I've found nothing regarding transmissions at all.
    30 inches?

Too small for the relatives I guess.

Guess its back to the Odyssey/Sienna debate in the house...
  • guy26guy26 Member Posts: 4
    Any info yet on Canadian specs and pricing? The dealers told me to expect the 4 cyl in mid-Dec and the RAV6 in March with only 2 packages - Base and Limited. Anyone know if any options will be available (esp. side and curtain air-bags). I don't understand why us Canuckleheads can't have the same choices as our friends south of the border.
    I think complaints about the RAV4's third row should be placed in perspective. Ultimately we're talking about a compact SUV growing into the smaller side of a mid-sized SUV. You can't get adult-size, third-row comfort in a larger mid-sized SUV either. There just isn't the room (e.g. see the Honda Pilot/Acura MDX, which is bigger than most mid-sized SUV's; it's still tight back there). It simply takes a full-sized SUV or a minivan.

Thus if one really needs to cart around so many folks in comfort on a regular basis, a minivan or full-sized SUV is definitely the right path to go.

The RAV4's third row is going to be awfully cramped, that's for sure. I think it's for small kids, or for occasional short hops when everyone has to cram into the vehicle. Also, the third row is going to be pretty close to any rear-end collision so that needs to be factored in as well.

When I was in high school and college, I used to ride along in the back of some friends' 2+2's. E.g. TransAms, older Celicas -- most of which weren't bigger than most third rows today. Sure it was uncomfortable, but we always found a way. Even later on we had an Acura Integra with a miniscule second row.
    Great point. I think its probably smart to think of the new RAV as a 5+2.

Of course, for folks like me more interested in the Sport V6 model, theres no reason to think of it as anything other than a 5 passenger... since you cant get the third row in that model.

269 horses, 18 inch wheels, sport suspension, VSC, side curtains, and 27 HWY MPG, AWD.. if it can come in at/around 26K.... thatd be AWESOME. And I dont need crap like leather...

~alpha
    I know that 3rd row will be cramped.

Even an MDX's third row isn't too comfy.

A minivan is the best solution for those seeking comfortable seating for 7 passengers. (although I've heard the Freestyle is pretty comfortable also)
  • scottkopperudscottkopperud Member Posts: 3
    The third row seating in the 2006 Rav4 (two independent single seats) fold flat just like in the Siena's third row which has two sections (60/40 split) seating three. My question is: Does the size of the Rav4's third row single seat compare to the 40% single section of the Siena's 60/40 third row seat? 2. I'm as concerned with the height (knee to foot) of the third row, and the leg-room in front of the knees (knee to seat). After having sat in the third row "bench" of a highlander I'm wondering if the Rav4's third row will be more comfortable. Right now, I'm seriously consider the Honda Pilot, which compares well with the 2006 Rav4 in terms of specifications, ie: hp, torque, length, width, etc. and I'm suspicious "fuel economy" as well. The Honda Pilot's third row (which splits 60/40 and actually seats three tight, two comfortably) is the best I've seen so far in the "mid-size" SUV. To move up to the Sequoia ($$$) or another full-size SUV is just too expensive to purchase and/or operate. Anyone have any thoughts about the Honda Pilot vs. the 2006 Rav4?
  • bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    Is a Navigation System an option? Probably not?
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    The Pilot is much much wider even compared to HL or 4Runner and I have spent much time driving both. That width makes a huge difference. Pilot can take 2 smaller (5'4") adults in the 3rd row or even 3 children under 12 where as HL is only suitable for 2 kids in the 3rd row. I would be shocked if Toyota was able to squeeze more space into the current RAV. If they did, who would buy the HL? BTW, 4Runner's 3rd row is overpriced and is as bad as those in the HL. If you plan on serious use of the 3rd row, do not bother with any Toyota smaller than Full-sized SUV or the minivan. In fact, the only reasonable 3rd row in a Midsize SUV is still in the MDX or Pilot.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    I'm 6'2" and have owned a 2004 Pilot. With the 2nd row pushed forward a few inches, the 3rd row was tolerable for short trips even for me. The 3rd row will hold average sized adults (say under 5'10") decently, if they can climb back there. The Explorer offers about the same room, but is narrower and hence only holds 2 people.

I thought it was crazy when Toyota began offering the Highlander and 4Runner with a 3rd row, but it makes sense from a marketing perspective. The idea of the RAV4 having a 3rd row now seems ridiculous, but it does give someone the option of putting a small child in the 3rd row in a pinch. I hope we can get an AWD V-6 limited without the 3rd row.

Since the new RAV4 is so much larger, I've got to think that the next generation Highlander will probably be as large or larger than the current Pilot. I think the only reason to prefer the Highlander at this point is if you don't like the rear hatch and spare tire location in the RAV4 or want a Hybrid.

Given the project fuel economy for the RAV4, I doubt you'd get much better real world mileage in a Hybrid Highlander. And, you'd save $10k in the process, for a similar size vehicle with an updated design.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Dealers in Canada have the specs, feature list and colour choices for the 2006 4-cyl model and are able to place orders for December delivery. Too early yet for prices, or anything on the V6. Based on the feature list it doesn't seem that we get side airbags on the 2006 4-cyl in our market. The 4-cyl trims are called Base and Upper Grade.
    I don't know. I would have to physically send my 13 year old son back there to tell the difference.

But the Pilot should offer better seating as its bigger.

Then again, a Sienna or Odyssey would be most optimal if you're carrying many passengers often or just appreciate the extra space. (I sure do)
    Simple comparison:
    Pilot is on the Odessey frame
    Highlander ( until further notice ) is on the Camry frame
    RAV is smaller in every dimension than the Highlander

I'd say 15 min MAX in row 3 for a couple of 10 yr olds who aren't siblings. ;)