Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• klcrdklcrd Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, I live in Manhattan and recently put out a search for the V6 to several dealers hope I get several hits.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Last week Sunrise and Atlantic Toyota on LI both had V6 RAV4s. Sunrise had a few sports and one loaded Limited with leather which is hard to find. A few base V6
  • saqsalmsaqsalm Member Posts: 17
    I own a 2006 Rav4 V6 Ltd 4x4. The CD player's display was all jumbled up this morning. It took a few minutes before it cleared and started showing up normally. This has happened twice. Has this happened with anyone else? Any recommendations or advise would be much appreciated.
    thank you
    Do not know about that specific problem but many, many reports on net of jumbled displays and inop controls on radio when it is hot out. Comes and goes. Take a picture when it happpens and then take it to dealer for radio replacement.
  • raviola4raviola4 Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for info. In track look better. Of course this time of year i'd have open, but close in winter. I'd be a little concerned with the problem you mentioned though on drivers window etc. Also, if you have a problem or malfunction would Toyota claim no responsibility cause of visors? Anyway, appreciate info.
  • orioninilorioninil Member Posts: 39
    Yep, I smell it too, every so often.

I do not see any leaks...yet.
    I haven't smelled this in my Rav4 yet, however, previously i owned a 2001 Mazda Tribute. Thought i was smelling anti-freeze. Don't ask me now, but it turned out to be something else which had the same smell. They had rec'd. a service bulletin on it, and fixed the problem.
    When i first got my Rav4, i smelled something for several weeks assumed it was something in engine area burning off. Not there anymore, but don't remember it as an anti-freeze smell. Check dealer service. May have a service bulletin?
  • hibeamhibeam Member Posts: 9
    Yes, I have the same smell. I brought it to dealer and they said they couldn't find any leaks or anything.
    I am glad I am not the only one, I was at dealer last week, same problem could not find the problem, I just called them to tell them that I am not the only one, they are going to check and see if there is a problem with radios.
  • silverphxsilverphx Member Posts: 41
    I'm one of those guys who likes to change his own oil and filter. I have been to several auto parts stores (i.e., Checker Auto, AutoZone) and even the WalMart auto department, none of them could tell me which oil filter size (model #) to use on my RAV4 V6? The parts books these stores carry only indicate the filter size for the V4----anyone know how I can find which oil filter size/model # to use? (I don't really care too much about the brand of oiil filter--Penzoil or even Fram are fine by me). Anyone know?
    Well the V6 does not use the conventional "can" type filter. It has a seperate paper filter element inside the housing that you change along with the gaskets. I think Toyota sells them for about $6.50 or so. Lots of info on the web including pictures and instructions etc. I am not allowed to mention the other sites or Mr. Edmonds gets his panties twisted out of shape. But if you Google RAV4 you may find the info.
  • scottyg1234scottyg1234 Member Posts: 25
    I had this problem about a month ago. I called the service department at my dealer, and the ordered me a new radio. They replaced the old one, and even gave me a free oil change for my inconvenience. ;)
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    If you do a search for the Avalon 3.5L filter, you'll be miles ahead, even my dealer didn't have a listing for the Rav4 V6 cartridge, but they did have the Avalon filters in stock which has the same 2GR-FE engine. The filter kits with O-ring and drain adapter were $3.95 each. You'll also need a 65mm end cap filter wrench to remove the oil filter housing, Napa has the right one, the 65mm-67mm one that I had was too loose.

Oil & Filter Change
    Thanks---the diagram is very helpful. Do I have to have the special "SST" tool to remove the filter as mentioned in the diagram? Is that the "65mm end-cap filter wrench" you mention? Is it not possible to use standard wrenches? This looks a little more complicated than the standard oil change I'm used to.

p.s.--to JimD4--I found "the other site" which did contain some helpful information. Finding information on the RAV4 in this WORLD can be COM-plicated. (Let's see if Mr. Edmunds catches that subliminal message!!) ;)
    Yes, the end cap wrench is the same kind used on spin-on filters but fits the filter housing, is used with a 3/8" drive ratchet.

image">
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It's NOt LIke we thiNK Some sites aren't PLEASant, wE WISh Everyone Good Use of ours dailY. ;)

I can't believe how tortured that sentence was!

tidester, host
    Well you should not depend on me for the details. I don't own a RAV4 yet. But even thought there are more parts I thing it should be no big deal. By the way, that other site has tons of info, mostly all good on lots of RAV4 things, like detailed pictures of installing homelink mirror, trailer hitch wiring and also problems.

Have fun!
    As you can see, that Tidester host guy jumps right on any subversive activities. He probably works part time for the CIA. He is probably arranging to have your income taxes audited at this moment!

By the way, one of the reasons I judge that the RAV4 mania is slowing some is that even on this site the number of posts seems much lower than say back in March and not many hysterical "paid MSRP" inputs etc.
    The Napa parts store near me did not have the end cap filter wrench. What is the "SST" referred to in the diagram? Is that a specific tool sold by Toyota? Is the # following the "SST" the Toyota parts #? I can't believe finding a end-cap wrench is so difficult.
    Have Napa order it for ya!! You can order it online, too...

SER3253

The SST is $52, made by SPX for Toyota, it's just a 65mm end cap but maybe built better.

SST

Toyota Tools
    I went to another Napa store and found the 65mm end cap wrench. (about $9.00) It fit the casing perfect. The oil change was much easier (and quicker) than I thought. Thanks.

(Now I just got to figure out how to re-set the check engine oil light).
    Select your 'A' trip odometer. Turn the car off. While HOLDING THE ODOMETER SELECTOR/RESETTER IN, turn the ignition one step. You'll see the odometer "digits" flashing dashes in a diminishing pattern, then eventually the actual "A" trip numbers will display normally. At this point, the maintenance required thing is reset. You can remove your finger from the selector. Proceed to turn the car off or on, as needed.
  • moonroovesmoonrooves Member Posts: 18
    When will the 2007 Rav4 V6 Limited first be offered? Anything new or standard that wasn't before?
  • hells_bellshells_bells Member Posts: 21
    Is there any way to leave the AUX DC Power Port (cigarette lighters) on without leaving the key in the ignition?
    2007s at dealers in Octbober they say.
    They just gave you a new radio and that solved the problem?
    My guys checked it and couldn't find anything wrong. It happens every onece in a while. I told them I have seen this problem on net.
  • scottyg1234scottyg1234 Member Posts: 25
    I called and made an appointment, it happened again when I was on my way to the dealer, so they were able to see it first hand. When they turned off the car, and restarted it the problem was "gone". They were like it works now, I said well you saw that it was not working correct. I spoke to the service manager, and they replaced the radio, and I have not had a problem since. ;)
  • moonroovesmoonrooves Member Posts: 18
    With the 2007 Rav4's scheduled to come out in October, when can we anticipate a good price drop on the "antiquated" 2006 models? :P
    Just wondering if of those who smell the anti-freeze if you wash your car yourself or if you take it to an automatic car wash?

It seems that the smell I continue to smell in my vehicle resembles the smell of the soap used at the automatic car wash.

Just wondering if the undercarriage spray gets the soap into the air circulation system.
  • charles64charles64 Member Posts: 13
    I just noticed this happening to my RAV4 this morning - radio display is blank but radio is on - can't turn it off but presets and volume work. Once when I turned the tuner I got the "hieroglyphics" on the display for a few seconds, then it blanked out again. I have been trying to call the dealer all morning today but no one answers the phone!!
    My dealer is denying that they have even heard that this is happening. Funny thing is, they are supposedly one of the (if not THE) biggest dealer in the Chicagoland area.

I am going to get my 5k service at a different (more local) Toyota dealer to see if I get better service there.

I hope there is no issue with taking it to a different dealer than the one I bought it from for in-warranty service.
  • meesh1947meesh1947 Member Posts: 7
    Same thing happened to me yesterday. I have been having intermittent volume control problems also.

Bob
    My guess is you will never see a price drop much below what is going on now. In the east, prices can be invoice plus/minus $300 or so. There is such little supply in stock at most local dealers (15-20) maybe that they will not cut prices much more. I do not know if there is much of a production gap. August is supposed to be first production it is rumored. So what are on the lots now or come in the next 6 weeks or so are it till you see a 2007. I suspect one day they will have 2006 and the next there will be 2007. Prices in NY are much better now that they were in say early March but if you looking for a V6 Limited or Sport there are not many made and not many on the lots here.
    All of this is just a guess.
  • dlbensondlbenson Member Posts: 13
    Happy with my Rav4 (4 cyl AWD) that I bought 2 months ago. Since it is time to think about it's initial service I discovered that I have no maintenance schedule information with the owners manual, etc packet I received and I have been unable to find a complete maintenance schedule on the web. Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Don
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Your sales dealer likely removed that section of the owners manual so you would rely on them for an ELEVATED level of service.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Edmunds Maintenance Guide - it'll tell you what Toyota (not the dealer) recommends and estimates what it will cost for US zip codes.
    Toyota provides online maintenance schedules...

Toyota Maintenance Schedules
    I saw this on multiple sites. The problem is that Toyota's online schedule requires you to enter a particular mileage amount and gives the maintenance recommends for that one service. What happened to an old fashion maintenance matrix that covers all mileage points.
    It is all there, just keep going to next on miles. Actualy it is pretty simple. oil change/rotate tires every 5000 miles, nothing much more till 18 and 36k. Gees what is so hard about this? Everyone acts like there is some clandestine Toyota/dealer thing to make them spend more.

I don't own one but it looks like one of the lowest cost maintenace schedule cars I have ever seen. I think an oil change is about $30. Is that the end of the world?

If your not lazy you can rotate the tires your self and save $24 bucks..............wow
    Some info on hesitation issue history.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05036/453222.stm
    They need to add the 4 cyl. 2006 Rav4 as well. Nothing like pushing the gas pedal down and nothing. Has happened 3 or 4 times now in 4 months i've owned it. When i say nothing, i mean nothing. Not a hesitation, nothing, then it kicks in, downshifts or whatever. A real safety issue. Hope it ain't like American co's waiting for first 50 deaths.
    I've seen numerous posts on problems so it wasn't a shock this am when i looked at my unit and noticed a capital H to left of screen and numerous blackened in boxes to the right of it in a single row. What the #$&*. I could change channels, volume etc. but couldn't tell on screen anything other than this view. Once i got to work, turned car off, then on again, it came back to normal. Obviously for my 5m checkup this will be mentioned. Unless it goes whacko before then.
    Add this to the serious hesiataion flaw i've noted with my 2006 4 cyl. Rav4, a couple minor (but anoying)interior rattle sounds, and reading other problems folks having, this being my first Toyota vehicle, i'm wondering "WHAT'S UP TOYOTA"? Thinking now i should have waited for the 07 CRV. Or even the 07 Santa Fe, since Hyundai now up there on the quality list.
  • charles64charles64 Member Posts: 13
    My dealer wanted $100 for the 5k service, which is essentially the tire rotation and oil/filter change. I shopped around a little and found anothe Toyota dealership that changed the oil and rotated the tires for $30 (DC area).
  • mterrellmterrell Member Posts: 21
    I agree this is a safety issue. I have talked about this when I first got it. Mine still does it and the dealer would have to drive it for a week for it to do it for them. It has done it from a red light start and most of the time it will do it when you exit the highway. I just dont take any chances. I do worry when the wife drives though and have told her to be careful.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I suspect this is due to the ECU tuning to obtain the highest possible EPA mileage figures. I'm sure they're cutting fuel whenever possible to save on gas, but then there is a delay when you need power.

Everything comes at a price, I guess.

-juice
    Well you done good! I hear that most dealers get $69-$89 for that stuff and the few checks that are listed.
    Maybe Toyota should include a "SAVE/CRASH" switch so owners can select ECU for max MPG or Max Saftey.

Just kidding but maybe Toyota goes a little too far on the Mother knows best stuff.
  • martymacgyvermartymacgyver Member Posts: 30
    I've been keeping half an eye on this thread and, while I've not noticed this myself as-described, I *have* noticed a distinct detergenty smell after car washes and when I use the wipers/squirters I can definitely smell it a bit too (I tend to be on recirc a lot though, being in Chicago where it's just a wee bit steamy lately! :shades: ) Perhaps a bit of WW or soap is getting into the intake vent and causing the smell?

As an aside, I'm rather amazed at how quickly the car cools down inside, despite the heat. They should've routed a duct to the rear area (even if just like Chrysler, i.e. an unpowered vent with a mechanical louver). While it is cool up front it tend to get toasty for the people right behind me.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Toyota, and Honda, are extraordinarily good in forecasting and sales and deliveries on the MY changeovers. There are emails out and initial delivery dates specified when the new '07's will be on the retail lots. Many ( most? ) stores will sell their last '06 the week before the new '07's arrive. Often the last of the older MY vehicles will sell the day the new ones arrive. This is espcially true on 'hot' vehicles like the RAV. Less so on cold vehicles like the 4R, Tundra, etc.
    Due for my first oil change and wondering about the advisability of using synthetic oil from the get go. Any comments would be appreciated.

Don