Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• wxworks1wxworks1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 limited V6 4X4 blizzard white, I traded an 03 4runner on it & have no regrets other than the trade value I got for the 4runner.
    Average MPG is 22 best was 25 worst 19.
    Lots of power.
    It could use a little more legroom & the cupholders are awful, no problems so far (3200 mi).
    Overall it just makes me smile.
    And the wife just loves it .
    I also made the 5 hour trip to Fitzmal in Pa.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    So, what does this $400 "top coat" do for the paint? It is a spray on process or? Hard to see how you make "soft paint" hard.

When you think about it we all have to add $2000 to the RAV4 purchase price to make it "ready". Ready is:Homelink/dimming/compass mirror,bug shield,3M plastic shields, top coat, Scangauge/trip computer,tow hitch harness,rear bumper shield,mud flaps, more.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Top coat" sounds like wax to me - one of those mop and glow packages that the F&I person pushes on you as you are trying to sign the paperwork and get out of the dealership.
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Paint chipping isn't unique to Toyota all mfg's have the same problem. The lead based paint that was used in years past provided a much harder surface. But, because we humans were not smart enough to not eat lead paint big brother forced it off the market.
    Does anyone know what year the manufacturers switched to the "soft paint"?

I have never seen this on any of my cars and no one I know seems to have had this problem.
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    ours was made in dec and we bought it jan 3rd.. our paint is not 'soft' it has no paint chips in the 8 months we have owned it..
  • meesh1947meesh1947 Member Posts: 7
    Recently I have owned
    2001 Nissan Maxima
    2002 Nissan Maxima
    2003 Nissan Murano
    2005 Nissan Pathfinder
    2006 Nissan Murano
    2006 Rav-4 Sport

All of them had the same problem, chipped paint on the hood in less that 1000 miles of driving on secondary roads. :sick:
  • flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    there has never been 'lead based' paint on cars. ever. Enamel or lacquer based is what was used..
    It is funny how some people have this so called "soft paint" problem. My neighbor owns a very large auto body repair shop. He says there is no such thing as soft paint, just poor application etc.

My last two cars over 8 years have not a chip or a windshild crack! And I am not carefull about following trucks etc. I have had some really loud stones bounce off the windshield.
    There are some interesting threads over in the Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair discussion too, and lots of comments about proper prep. And some touch-up advice as well.

But be forewarned - I got sucked in for 30 minutes yesterday reading about painting cars there and then yakked with a Subaru friend on the Crew Chat last night about the 3 muscle cars he's painted. The fumes must have got to me. :shades:
  • mterrellmterrell Member Posts: 21
    They spray it on and when he was trying to sell me this Im thinking you mean your selling me a new car and there on more step to the paint process and you want me to pay for it? sorry but company's are coming up with way's to make "add on's" and this is what they are doing. Im not a painter by no means but I gave the sales guy an IDEA . Do the job right and complete the process.I shouldn't have to spend the extra to keep the paint on. In retail that the new thing "give' em a bunch of add on's before they get out the door. love the rav though and probably should have bought the add on.
  • tnrunnertnrunner Member Posts: 5
    I just passed four months and 5,000 miles on my 2006 RAV4 V-6 Limited, FWD. No problems of any kind, and I am pleased with it. Only wish: that it had power seat for front passenger.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    "love the rav though and probably should have bought the add on."

No, you shouldn't have. It is just a rip off. An extra way for the dealer to make a few bucks. It has nothing to do with the paint process or the manufacturer. Just wax it a couple times a year.
    Ok folks, if you go to the Toyota web site and do a build and buy you will find that the 2006 has been replaced by the 2007 RAV4. At least for my zip code in NY.

The only real change I see is bluetooth with JBL is available and side curtain bags seem to be standard on everything. And mentions SAT radio avialable late fall 2006.

I don't see any real change in price for me since the side curtain bags are now in the price. Also do not see Flint Mica as a color in some regions...strange. Actually I have never seen a Flint Mica Sport listed at Fizmall now that I think about it. Crazy.

But Toyota makes it hard still as it says JBL not available in my zip code....... May have to go to Fitzmall afterall.

It is interesting that two months ago my dealer and Toyota home said 2007 info late August, cars on lot in Oct. I guess this is late August!

• heavensoldierheavensoldier Member Posts: 61
    I was thinking about getting a toyota rav4 2007, but my only concern is the 2006 seems small, like not manly. You know I heard a lot of women own the 2006. So how do you all like it, is it big enough, and I heard the 2007 was bigger, I also plan on putting a aftermarket navigation in it so I hope that works. Will this be better than getting the ford explorer or expedition, because I don't feel like paying a lot for gas. Let me know please. Thanks and God Bless
    2006 and now 2007 are the same. Seems plenty roomy to me. It is not a Ford truck thinkgie and if you want 15 MPG the Expedition will do it for you.
    If your thinking of Expeditions and Explorers the Rav4 won't do it for you. Better look at the Highlander instead. I guess a vehicle is an extension of manhood for some people. Not me, I love my Rav4. Volkswagen convertibles are considered "secretaries cars" but that would not stop me from getting one if I wanted it.
  • jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    Wow, they made the 2007 even bigger...no, it is the same and plenty big enough for me. I average 24 mpg for mixed driving and the V6 will eat up some so called "sports" cars. I love my RAV4 V6 Sport. It looks plenty like a car with an attitude. Only car I've owned that people have taken a second glance at. (Certainly are not looking at me :shades: ) Great mileage, a lot of room...great power...excellent build quality. What else can you ask for? Maybe an honest dealership....?

Jimmy Drew
  • heavensoldierheavensoldier Member Posts: 61
    Oh okay thanks all for the quick replies. But looking at this review 2007 Toyota RAV4 Review I thought the rav4 was bigger. But thanks again I'll have to look at other competitors, toyota is just very reliable but so is Ford, but God willing I'll make the right choice.
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    Fist time new car buyer here.Looking to get the 07 RAV4 V6 Limited.I've never got a loan before so i was wondering if i put 10,000 down will i have a problem getting a loan for the rest?My fico scores are 692 662 and 605 should i wait till the 605 comes up or what?Thanx for any info
    Thanks for the help that was good timing
  • raviola4raviola4 Member Posts: 52
    Can't imagine since 2006 model larger than previous models. Perhaps someone feeding you bad years. Anyway, not sure baout the manly thing. Opt for the V6. Mine has a 4 cyl and i'm a guy, doesn't bother me any. But wish now i'd opted for the 6. With nearly 100 hp more than the 4 cyl. you can blow away probably most other "manly" cars out there.
    Lets see 23 - 28 mpg in Rav4. 12-16 in Expedition. A little better in Explorer. And lets not forget quality. Hmm, tough decision.
    I'm torn between waiting till the 07 arive and just getting the 06.Kings Toyota has the exact RAV4 V6 Limited i'm looking for in stock now but in a couple months the 07 will be here.I guess i'll go look at it and see if they'll let it go for something i can't say no to.
    If you found what you want, buy it if the price is reasonable. The Limited is hard to find. The changes on 2007 are very small...bluetooth and sirus. And for the first month or two the dealers will be trying to get top dollar for 2007.
    Part of the confusion I think is on the web many sites call the 2006 the 2007 and then say it is bigger than the 2006 when they should say bigger than the 2005. 06/07 dimensions are the same. The info is on Toyota web site now for 2007 models.
  • fsacjfsacj Member Posts: 8
    Why does the 7 seat have 500 pounds higher load rating? I don't think you're going to put two 250 pounders back there.

I have the 5 seat, and I'm a little disapointed with the load rating. 200 pounds of gear doesn't leave much room for five adult males.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If you're putting two "smallish" folks back there then they're likely being displaced by two LARGE(R..?) folks amidship. Plus seat itself weight plus "baggage" for six.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Since this iteration was debuted in Dec '05 as a 2006 MY there won't be a significant change in the size for..... 9 years!!

Barring unusual circumstances Toyota usually designs for 10 year cycles per platform. It's the platform that determines the general body size. This is the first year of this platform.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, but let's not forget this is their compact SUV. It's supposed to be small.

You want medium? Highlander.

You want large? Sequoia.

RAV4 is supposed to be small. You might even argue it's too big to fill that role any more.

-juice
  • goosiegoosie Member Posts: 4
    Edmunds can only report on the car(s) its testers drove. And their review makes clear that the test RAV4 didn't have the problems some consumers are facing:

People report that the acceleration mechanism in (both the 4cyl and v6 versions of) the RAV4 fails. The described problems are in both directions: (1) failure to accelerate (more than the mere “normal” “hesitation”), and (2) rapid, uncontrolled acceleration with no, or light, pedal depression.

Descriptions of the problem(s) can be found by searching the "complaints" section of the NHTSA's website for the 2006 RAV4. As you'll see, the bouncing baby remodel already has 22 safety complaints. The acceleration issues are sprinkled among them. (http://www-
    odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm).

Also see multiple internet forums, including this one on Edmunds.com:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0d2e96/47.
    Make sure to see the posts before and after it (in the thread) on Edmunds and see also other forums on Edmunds.com, Rav4world.com, etc., for other people’s descriptions and comments.

Also, as a kicker, there was an 8/5/06 Wall Street Journal article discussing Toyota's impressive 39% profit increase on a 13% revenue increase, and observing that it is due in significant part to cost-cutting measures that have been accompanied by quality control problems (that have in the immediate past included, according to the article, negligent safety oversight by Toyota executives).

We bought a 2006 Honda CRV. We'll get a RAV4 if and when Toyota pulls itself together.
  • moejezzmoejezz Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1998 Honda Accord V6, a 2004 VW Touareg V8 and most recently a 2006 Honda CRV. I won't even talk about the VW in this discussion since it has been the bain of my existance for the past 3 years. However, I have been extremely disappointed with the CRV since I purchased it. I has had multiple electrical problems along with a minor transmission problem. My in-laws have had similar electrical issues with their 2005 Odyssey. However, I have been extremely happy with the '98 Accord with close to 130,000 and still running strong without any issues. So if my experience with Honda is indicative of a potential trend, in my eyes Honda better ensure that they keep their eye on quality also.
  • jeffworkjeffwork Member Posts: 20
    What part of the country do you live in? Toyota is still showing the 2006 info for the midwest.
    Growing pains, perhaps? Toyota is building more volume than ever and growing so fast it's hard to maintain the level of quality and reliability they've been known for such a long time.

I bet they iron these issues out soon enough. The 07 Camry Problems board is very busy, though. Again, it may be because so many are sold, so more complaints will exist, but with the same % of reliable cars as before.

-juice
    The acceleration problem isn't a "reliability" issue in the sense that, for examply, the car won't start. Reliability issues are acutely annoying (I just got rid of a VW Passat and so could go on for days about the extreme irritation and dissatisfaction that reliability problems yield).

But safety problems are frequently qualitatively distinct from reliability issues. If your car won't start, that's very, very annoying. But if your rolling into oncoming traffic when - surprise - the car will not accelerate for a few extra seconds, that's different. That's a head-on, or T-bone, collision.

Almost certainly the Toyota problems are being caused by increased production. But that's no answer. First, you're still just as likely to get a problem car, statistically speaking (and maybe even more so, if the failing mechanisms are also increasing in RELATIVE frequency b/c overall oversight is being spread between fewer cars). Second, I believe that car makers (and all manufacturers, actually) have an obligation to produce only that number of cars that they can put out without literally fatal flaws.

Of course, there is another option - the one seeming exercised by Toyota. A manufacturer can continue putting out as many vehicles as people will buy and worry about the ramifications later. In terms of dollars and sense, it's almost certainly in Toyota's financial interest to take this latter approach.

And obviously people are free to take whatever risks they like in terms of pros and cons of purchasing cars. I don't even own a RAV4 with a problem, so it doesn't really matter to me personally one way or the other. I only posted the information because the thing that caused me not to buy the car was imagining rolling into traffic (or unsuccessfully merging onto a highway) with my 2 yo strapped in the back seat. So I thought other people (with or without kids) should have the opportunity to make an informed choice.
    "So I thought other people (with or without kids) should have the opportunity to make an informed choice."

I would think the choice could be made if you test drive the car you are going buy. I know some people with Highlanders had this problem. My V6 never had a hesitation. They either have it or they don't. It doesn't happen later in ownership.

"A manufacturer can continue putting out as many vehicles as people will buy and worry about the ramifications later."

Tell me about it! I bought a '05 VW GTI. They apparently had been having bad coils for two years!!! They knew the '03s and '04s had bad coils and had not fixed the problem when I bought my '05. Just kept selling them. I of course knew nothing of this at the time until I heard of the massive recall which included my car. This cured me of ever buying another VW/Audi product. And I grew up with the OLD VW bug.
    I am in NY. The Toyota site is a little messed up but 2007 info is there. If you go www.toyota.com (no zip code entry yet) and then select SUV and get to RAV4 you will see all info for 2007 including basic truck and options. If you then go to e-brochure you can download general e-brochure and should be able to get an e-brochure for your area. From that you can see what options your region will bring in. From that you can see the prices also. In my case for example, Sport does not get JBL for NY! (In 2006 it was no side curtain bags in NY!)
    I have looked at e-brochures for several regions so I think it is all there.
    I think it was late last Friday I could do a build and buy and get 2007 but since then it again shows 2006.

The changes for 2007 are very small. Side curtain bags are standard on all models, JBL with bluetooth/Satellite radio is availalbe (but JBLit seems only on some models in some areas etc.) Also I see body side modlings as and accessory now.

Prices are really not changed much if you count the side bags in the basic price now. And JBL cost is up some due to bluetooth I guess.

If you go to www.fitzmall.com you will see they are showing some 2007 RAV4s as "coming in". My guess is in a month they will be in everywhere.

Good luck!
    "I would think the choice could be made if you test drive the car you are going buy. I know some people with Highlanders had this problem. My V6 never had a hesitation. They either have it or they don't. It doesn't happen later in ownership."

The test drive point is an interesting one. I hope you're right (and also that people do test drive the actual car they're buying, and not, for example, the first one in the storage line bc it's the same configuration, but different color).

But I think it's possible for the test drive not to tell the whole story, and here's my theory as to why: The Rav4 has a (public, undisputed) mechanism built into it to save gas. It apparently does this by "evening out" accelerator depression and this is almost certainly why, under the most charitable interpretation re: Toyota's honesty, people are continually told that some hesitation is normal.

But what if the (no-acceleration) failure requires a certain combination of speed and rpm (and also perhaps, engine temperature or some other variable ingredient)? I test drove three RAV4s and each of them had hesitation issues, but not failures, at different speeds and under different circumstances.

The V6 never hesitated off the line (to the contrary, it was trigger-happy) but noticeably hesitated at least once before kicking in power at speed. It was noticeable enough for the dealer to offer an unsolicitated explanation as to "normalcy."

The 4 cyls had their own hesitation circumstances. I didn't know of the failure issue until after testing so I wasn't noting the hesitation issue circumstances when I drove. All I noted at the time was some "unresponsiveness" and "choppiness" (we were going to buy the V6 for this reason). But I want to say that their issues were at speeds below 30 mph and included inconsistent acceleration from "rolling" stops.

My concern with test-driving solace is that it may be possible to drive a "failure" car for a good while before causing a failure. Particularly if the failure occurs when rapid acceleration is suddenly called for, such as can occur (here in New York, anyway) making lefts across traffic, merging onto highways, etc. How often do those scenario come up in a "normal" test drive? (I intentionally created a highway-merge-or-pass situation in the v6 and again I didn't do it to test for failure, I did it to see what the v6 could do.)

So, I assume you're right that hesitation issues don't sprout from the driveway months into owning a RAV4, in the sense that they would suddenly appear where they didn't before.

And I hope what you implied is also right, that issues will be present and obvious from the getgo, rather than failure issues sprouting up out of hesitation issues at the unlucky moment of the perfect speed and rpm (and whatever other ingredient(s) may play a role in the mechanism(s)). And of course, again, that people actually drive the car they buy (which, as you may have picked up, I tend to doubt, at least around here in NY where dealers inventory seemed to be stored in lots on, seemingly, Neptune).

And by the way, I can already hear the answer to part of what I've said being, "People who don't test drive the exact car that they're buying get what they deserve." But I can't agree. Someone who drives the exact car they're going to buy, but in a different color, has the right, in my view, to receive a car that is mechanically identical to the one they drove. Or, at a minimum, for any dissimilarities to not fall into the category of "catastrophically distinct." Of course, that's just my view. But I'd hope it's shared by others, including, in particular, people at Toyota.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Hello. We're looking at the RAV4, but we're unsure about the performance of its 4WD system. We want to take it skiing to Lake Tahoe. No off road, or anything like that, just highways. However, there will def. be some deep snow at points.

How capable is the 4WD system? Anything good/bad about it? We were told (by a Subaru dealer) that the 4WD system on the RAV4 only works under 25mph. Is that true.

Thank you in advance.
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    The 4WD lock which is controlled by a button on the dash, only works at speeds up to 25mph, in 4WD lock, the torque split is fixed at 55% front/45% rear, above 25mph, the torque split could be something less to none, depending on detected wheel slip conditions. From a standing start the split is also 55% front/45% rear, always, locked or not.

'06 Rav4 4WD System
    The RAV4 AWD works at all speeds. It can be locked in AWD up to 25mph. Above 25MPH and at all speeds when not locked, it splits the torgue from FWD to AWD up to 55%/45% fron/rear depending on wheel slip. People at other sites have reported it works fine in deep snow. One downside to RAV4 is that the stability control cannot be switched off. I have learned from my Audi that turning it off can be handy at low speeds in deep snow.
    What the Subaru dealer was probably trying to say is that all Subaru AWD systems are full-time, i.e. they are engineered for both axles to get some of the power at all times. The AWD actually acts as a center differential so that even on dry surfaces the AWD is engaged.

Having said that, in deep snow a bigger issue will be ground clearance. Foresters have a bit more and that might actually be a more important advantage in those situations.

-juice
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    My experience is that the FOrds are less costly upfront...eoy clearance, rebates etc. but the Toyotas are way more reliable. I paid about 3K more for my Camry over a Taurus a few years back. I have not put a dime into the Camry sans oil changes and a tail light bulb replacement in 4+ years. I owned two Fords previously and they could not make that claim. So, if you are keeping the car long term....get the Toyota. If you'll switch cars in 3 to 4 years...get the Ford.
    And............if you sell your Toyota in two or three years, the resale value of the Camry vs the Taurus will more than make up for the original price difference payed.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The bottom line, the bare truth about the RAV4 AWD system is:

It ISN'T.......!!

In my region of the country if you want to go snow skiing you often must use tire chains in order to get past those folks with the funny brimmed hats.

But almost all, if not all, Toyota and Lexus front wheel drive based AWD systems can only have tire chains installed on the front.

A patently unsafe, even hazardous, situation, extremely high traction on the front versus the rear, as stated in every Toyota/Lexus owners manual.

And for those of you STUCK with one of these Toyota/Lexus NIGHTMARES, disconnecting the MAF/IAT sensor while the engine is running, plugging it back in after the engine dies, will disable the VSC/Trac system for the next few drive cycles.

That will allow you to use wheelspin to get UNSTUCK, at least from the low traction condition.
  • newcarbuyer4newcarbuyer4 Member Posts: 2
    I'm a little concerned about the city mileage on the 2006 RAV4 V6. I have Sport with 700 miles and city driving only I am getting only 15MPG. My city driving is extremely conservative and I can not image what could be responsible for the difference between the sticker mileage of 21 and what I am actually getting city driving. Should I be driving more agressively in the city instead of trying to save gas???

Highway driving alone I'm getting 28. Which is great and as stated on the sticker.

But 15 city??? This is horrible and far from the 21 MPG stated by Toyota. My Ford Explorer V6 gets 15 mpg city.

Is this an abberation or are others with the V6 getting very bad city mileage?

Help please!!!
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Aren't you ever going to give up? Very few people give a you now what about chains. This is the type of on the demand AWD vehicle most people want... period. It's the type of system that is available in most cross-over vehicles these days. The concept is quite simple. It will give you optimum gas mileage and additional traction when required. If this is not the type you are looking for, move on to a model and manufacturer that best suits your needs. Please don't try to instill your needs/beliefs on others.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Very few people give a you now what about chains.

If you're not one of them then I suggest simply scrolling past those messages that are of no interest to you rather than trying to limit the scope of what others talk about. :)

tidester, host
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Thanks. You are right. I usually disregard repetitive posts. I'll revert to my customary ways. Sorry. Also, my apologies to wwest
    Well your hwy milage says the truck is great. A few people report low city milage but none as bad as you seem to have. One person who reports regularly on another site with the I4 has been gettting low 15mpg in shortcity runs but 28-30 on Hwy. No one seems to know why exept summer ethanol gas or very short trips are common guesses.

Keep us posted and hopefully something will change or an idea wil pop up.