Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    mkolmkol Member Posts: 6
    I live in CA and was wondering if any of you know whether dealerships have show-models of the 06 RAV4, and if not when do you anticipate this happening? I am highly interested, but I need to test drive one first. I am between the AWD Rav4 4 cyl. and the Forester XT. Can't make up my mind yet... :blush:
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Another factor to look at is not only the space in the 3rd row, but the space behind it. If you're ever planning on needing a reasonably amount of luggage space behind the 3rd row, you may not find much in the Pilot, Highlander, etc. We have a Ford Freestyle. Not as wide as the Pilot, but longer, so the 3rd row seats only two, but there's plenty of leg room for adults and space behind the 3rd row for luggage. The 2nd row is huge too. But if it's only kids to sit in the 3rd row and you're not worried about the luggage space, then you have a lot of options.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Yes, but your FreeStyle is FWD torque biased and does not have VSC...!

Ford still cutting "class" corners.
  • Options
    01mdx01mdx Member Posts: 45
    For those interested in the V6, check out page 4 of the online brochure which says that the V6 is not available until early February 06. I am sure the dealerships will not have any until then. Is the V6 the only model with the 3rd row available?

I am not sure if I can wait that long plus I am probably looking at a Pilot or Odyssey for the 3rd row. I know it doesn't really fit the character of the car but if the Murano had a 3rd row, I might be interested. I never thought that would be a big selling point but in the last year I have used the 3rd row on my MDX quite frequently.
  • Options
    True, but I only have the FWD version anyway.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Its still a nice car though. Especially at year end when Ford rolled out the Employee Pricing Red Carpet.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Then I hope you have traction control at least.
  • Options
    bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    Didn't Ford Announce they will discontinue the FreeStyle after 2007? If so buy it quick before they are gone.

Ford has greatly improve quality and efficiency. They are now more reliable and cheaper so are better to buy than Toyota. Toyota prove to be the most unreliable cars. They have so many recalls and quality issues. Toyota recalls 246,592 vehicles Today!!! That is sad and shows poor quality. Nobody buy a Toyota and support your country. Don't help another. I am not being racist but if American Companies get bankrupt, then Americans will be in trouble.
  • Options
    Yes, I have the traction control. But I don't live in big snow country, so that's why I didn't get the AWD.
  • Options
    719b719b Member Posts: 216
    what you're saying is a political statement and not based on fact. japanese manufacturers still make the most reliable automobiles.
    would you like to compare recalls of american car makers with japanese car makers?
    buying american is a worthy slogan as long as everything else is equal. our quality isn't equal.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Folks, this conversation is way off-topic for a discussion about the 06 Rav4. Please stick to discussing this vehicle specifically. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    car007car007 Member Posts: 7
    When comparing the features available in 2006 Rav4 europe and US, I see that there are many features available in europe which are not available in US. For example,

engine start/stop button
    GPS navigation
    Bluetooth integration on the steering wheel.

Why would Toyota do this? Do they think United States uses less technology than Europe. Or do they think they can sell any crap with name Toyota to United States?
  • Options
    giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    I always admired Toyota but what theyre doing right now with their new car releases isnt fair.
    I dont care if you have the capacity or not but USA is your biggest market! Bigger than Japan. So treat us right and at least give us a choice.
    Have you learned any lesson from present GM's situation? Listen to your customer and you'll not go wrong.
  • Options
    I don't think this is unique with Toyota. It seem like every car sold in Europe ends up with more options that those sold in the US. I don't know why. I'm sure it has to do with the bean counters determining what will give them the most profit. Or marketing studies that identify how many people would be interested in "X" option.
  • Options
    car007car007 Member Posts: 7
    It will be interesting to know how these studies are conducted to identify what the customers want. Have anybody in this group participated in a such a study from a car manufacturer. I guess not. So who are these study participants? If they have really done such a study we would not have the spare tire at the back of 2006 rav4. I think couple of people from Toyota get together in a room and start deciding what should be added in a new car. They decide to give the goodies to Europe and some crap to US.
  • Options
    they think that since Europe has less space, people will spend more on fully loaded smaller cars while Americans prefer "bigger and less equipped" to the fully loaded small car.

How many of us (and our friends) would take the Accord VP over the Civic EX?

Quite a few.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Isn't one reason Toyotas are "lower-end" here, simply the existence of the Lexus brand in the U.S? Toyota can't option out their vehicles that well here, else it competes with Lexus.

Whereas the Lexus brand is only starting (?) to be marketed in Europe. So they can equip their vehicles nicer there without cannibalizing their own sales.

I'm hopeful that some of the nicer features (e.g. Bluetooth) will make it into the "RAV6" Limited, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Any word on prices for the 06 RAV4?
  • Options
    I think they're very slow to catch on. I think the market for big SUV is in decline and most people are looking for smaller SUV/Xover when its time to replace their aging SUV's. Present and upcoming SUV buyers are already doing that, including me since I'm in the market for a Xover.
    Six months ago I was considering the 4Runner, Pilot, and Pathfinder. But after what happened to gasoline price, I changed my mind. We werent considering to buy bare bones , we want leather , Navs, side airbags because we want all the comfort when travelling with the children and friends. Beside these vehicles arent exactly the commuter types where you could tolerate some discomfort since its just you in the car.
    3rd row w/out leather, no Navs, I'm sorry but RAV4 is off the list. Its a shame because my wife's die hard Toyota admirer and I'm sort of her convert to the brand. Hmm, the new Sta. Fe is looking good.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    3rd row w/out leather

Doesn't that just mean that the first two rows are leather, but the third row is vinyl that matches the color of the leather?

A vinyl third row in a vehicle with leather first and second rows isn't unusual. E.g. the Pilot and MDX are like that. I suppose the idea is that the third row is just for small kids, and vinyl would be easier to clean, and it's a cost-cutting measure.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    there's a lot of enthusiasm here for the new grown-up RAV, which is great, but won't ANYONE here be sad when the car that essentially started the cute ute segment stops being one after December? This thing is getting way too big to be considered a cute ute any longer. :-(

And no, I don't consider the xB to be an acceptable substitute!

As for options, Europeans buy cars less frequently, spend a LOT more of their income (as a percentage) on one when they buy, and are very willing to pay more for premium features in otherwise smaller less expensive models. All of which differs greatly from U.S. car-buying habits. Which is why automakers go for volume and leave off a few of the high-zoot frills for their North America-bound models.

Of course, as common as NAV is becoming even in inexpensive models, I am surprised if it is true that the '06 RAV will not offer it as an option?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    My understanding is leather isnt available all together if you opt for a 3rd row seat. That means cloth seat everything, if you opt for a 3rd row seat.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I was pretty excited to see the first RAV4, at Pittsburg Airport to be precise. I think it was late 1995.

But I drove it and found it a bit small, and that was even before I had kids. So I'm not going to lament that it grew up in to a more useable size, as long as they don't make it too heavy.

The outgoing model pretty much has 2 individual rear seats, I would not put a 3rd person back there that I liked. ;)

I bet they'll move the next Matrix up in size to fill the gap, given they have an AWD Matrix model (albeit with a measly 123hp).

Note that one press release indicated that Toyota will outsource some engineering/development of a "sport compact" to Subaru, since they have a shortage of engineers. They could very well be talking about the next Matrix. Could it be Forester-based? Impreza-based? We'll see, but it could certainly fill up the slot formerly occupied by the outgoing RAV4.

-juice
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Guessing that the '07 Highlander goes on the Sienna frame like the Pilot is on the Odessey. It too should get the 3.5L. Now there is a distinct difference between the V6 RAV and the V6 Highlander
  • Options
    It will be interesting to know how these studies are conducted to identify what the customers want. Have anybody in this group participated in a such a study from a car manufacturer. I guess not. So who are these study participants?

I'll try not to be too kiss-a** here but the participants in these forums here are carsmart and savvy about features and demands. Ever see a long discussion about 4c Camry's vs 4c Accords vs 4c Altima's.. nope, not here. It would draw a big yawn.

But being on the ground as people come in to buy many, many more people ask for nothing ... nothing at all... in their vehicles in order to get the price lower. This includes the RAV. Initially the 'early adopters' will jump to buy but later in 18 mos or so the bulk of the market will come in after waiting for the 'hype' to end and ask 'Do I have to pay for these mats?'.. 'I have no use for a Navi and I certainly dont want to pay for it'..'Bluetooth???'

as nipponly says below:
    As for options, Europeans buy cars less frequently, spend a LOT more of their income (as a percentage) on one when they buy, and are very willing to pay more for premium features in otherwise smaller less expensive models. All of which differs greatly from U.S. car-buying habits. Which is why automakers go for volume and leave off a few of the high-zoot frills for their North America-bound models

I dont think Toyota marketing misses very much in understanding the US buyer or the European buyer either. We are as a group here mostly interested in good basic no frills transportation. It's what I hear most often every day.
  • Options
    I know a LOT of people who just want something that gets them where they need to go safely, cheaply, and reliably.
  • Options
    radioheadradiohead Member Posts: 3
    The whole attraction to the rav was its small mini SUV status. The 06 looks big and ugly in my opinion which is why I opted to get the 05 model before the new morphs. I wish they kept the exterior shell the same but upgraded the outdated interior.
  • Options
    So what you're saying is we as a consumer dont get to have a choice?
    "So here's a RAV4 w/out Navs and smart start take it or leave it cause you all cant pay for the Navs anyway"

Is that it?
  • Options
    Another view is 'you cant be all things to all people'. One reason Toyota does so well in production efficiency is the repition and high volume allow it to tighten and tighten then retighten the process down on the highest volume. For example are the Camrys as 'exciting' as the Accords or Altimas.. not until now. But they do hit the center of the market and sell the highest volumes at the lowest costs. That's the essence of good business.

The Navi may be offered as a stand-alone option if the demand is great enough. Until now though the RAV has not been a high-end vehicle with high-end features. It's been the entry level ute where a low price is much more critical than upscale features.
  • Options
    myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    As for choosing a vehicle based on the availability of a nav system....there are alternatives.

1. Buy an aftermarket one and stick it up in the corner if you just must have one. Then pocket the hundreds of dollars you'll save vs a built in unit or enjoy it having fun.

2. Buy a quality set of paper maps/Atlases. I have a business where I have to go to different locations each day, and not always easy to find ones, and have managed to live w/o NAV pretty well. I also am on the expressway for 6-7 hours one day each week. For the $2,000 cost of an integrated NAV system it pays me about $10 every time I have to pull over to check where I am. That's about $200/hour. It helps ease the pain that way. And the human brain is often better at routing than any computer is.

3. You can't transfer a built-in NAV system from vehicle to vehicle. You'll have to buy one for each vehicle you own. I plan on getting a portable NAV soon for myself, It will go in the Pickup on weekdays for work, the BMW on the road trips to the Florida home, and the Saab when we're in my wife's car.

4. Use a good pc map system to preprint routes before you leave home.

5. There are some pretty good in-dash aftermarket NAV systems around. Not cheap, but they give you most of the seamless integration of OEM ones.

NAV is a cool toy, but hardly a reason to determine how you'll spend $25,000 or more on a vehicle. Especially if you're buying in the RAV4 category for the presumable value and economy of it. And the new does wear off eventually and you see it as a tool, not a cool toy. I doubt you'd be as satisfied in a lesser vehicle with NAV than in a RAV4 you otherwise love w/o it. Spend the savings on a quality radar detector. They've saved me dozens of times.

BTW, I think the new bigger RAV4 with sport pkg has the potential to be a reasonable BMW X3/5 substitute for far less money. If it lives up to expectations, it will probably replace our Saab next year. There are just so few truely sporty SUVs out there. Some have brute power, but are ponderous to drive. Others have the handling too, but ride like buckboards and are more of a SUV/Camaro than a refined ride.

Any word on when they will arrive on lots? I'm eager to test drive one.

Oh yeah, a lot of cars have NAV show up after a year or so. The technical problems of integrating it can delay a ready date they may want to hit for marketing reasons. Our Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan had that situation. Avail in Europe in '03, but not here.
  • Options
    By the way the Nissan versa is a high end car. Its got smart start and bluetooth. Its so high end it costs 16K fully loaded. While the low end RAV4 costing probably 24K doesnt have any of those.
  • Options
    "For example are the Camrys as 'exciting' as the Accords or Altimas.. not until now."
    Thats why the average buyer of Camry is older from let say the Accord or Mazda 6. Lets say Toyota keep on bringing the boring Camry and boring Toyota and boring Yaris. Everything boring. While they constantly bringing boring cars , younger generation are going for more exiting cars from other manufacturers. Will they still have buyers in the future? None. Because the younger gen will eventualy have brand loyalty to their present brand of cars. Like I said keep on doing that. Well see what happen.
  • Options
    Ahhh this makes sense now..

In Texas you are controlled by Gulf State Toyota which is the distributor in your area. I think they are based in Houston. They decide what options should be on the vehicles. It's now Toyota, its the local distributor.

In Central Atlantic Toyota most of the Corollas dont have the S+C/AB because most customer dont want them.... yet. But any customer in our region that asks for S+C/Ab and ABS can have both immediately.

Your anger should be dircted to the office in Houston. They are the ones telling the dealers how to spec the vehicles.
  • Options
    I wast the one who posted here that only high end vehicles should have the Navigation. It was you. The RAV4 you say doesnt deserve a Navigation because its the low end of the Toyota SUV line up. I just replied back and somehow all the issues that I have with Toyota came pilling in.
    I will say ity again and you better listen and dont tll me excuses that its a low end this and that.
    The reason their not offering those is they dont have the manufacturing capacity which I replied is no excuse because we are their biggest customer and if they need to produce RAV4 or any other Toyota product that should have an obviuos market like SAB/SCB then stop producing useless option like the "EXTRA USELESS MILES" and ALL WEATHER GUARD PACKAGE". These uselss option takes up manufacturing resources that instead will be put to good use in making the SAB/SCB or ABS or NAvs options.
  • Options
    will not have the Navigation and will probably be difficult to find with the SAB/SCB option, what will be the most widely available options then?
    Let me see... Thats a tough question.. Hmm...How about..

The "Extra useless Miles Option"
    The " All Weather Guard Package"
    The "Vehicle it-doesnt-Shield Package"
    Man, I'm exhausted. That question took a lot from me . :D
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi folks,
    This isn't a general Toyota discussion, and it's not the appropriate place to simply rant against Toyota products and/or policies. A number of off-topic posts have been removed. Please stick to discussion about the upcoming Rav4. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    The 3rd row may be popular.

Since I live in the southeast, ToyoGuard will be popular also. (although I haven't actually seen a Toyota on a dealer lot around here with ToyoGuard added to the window sticker, perhaps I need to drive a little further south to find some)
  • Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    They decide to give the goodies to Europe and some crap to US.

Don't forget that in Europe cars are generally smaller. The new sized RAV4 is probably a large vehicle by their standards. Top of the line vehicles get all the goodies -- do they sell the Highlander in Europe? I would guess that the RAV4 is it, so they load it up with more goodies since there's not a bigger vehicle sold there of this type.

In the USA, the Highlander is a bit too small to compete with the MDX/Pilot, so Toyota is probably going to enlarge it. With the RAV4 remodel, it has a danger of competing with the Highlander, so why offer all the features on the RAV4 if they lose a $10K Highlander sale?

Once the Highlander gets bigger perhaps they'll add more content to the RAV4. I suspect they'll sell enough RAV4's anyway.
  • Options
    topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    It would seem to be a little bit short sight to not inlcude nav. Since mazda 3 and new civic has it also. Also I am pretty sure RDX will have it (since all acura has NAV so far). So RAV4 will not be able to compete for the NAV business. The bad part is that RAV4 look so good in every aspect (base on what we know). The size is right, the power is great, exterior look good (minus the spare tire), the interior look good, the weight is in the right ball park..oh well hopefully 07 will have it but can I wait that long. Especially if RDX look good......
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    NAV is a cool toy, but hardly a reason to determine how you'll spend $25,000 or more on a vehicle.

I don't necessarily agree. It depends on which other vehicles you are considering and if they offer NAV. When I was shopping for my '03 Accord EX-L, I was also considering the Camry. I went with the Honda over the Toyota because they offered NAV with the 4cyl car. If Toyota also offered NAV it would have come down to pricing.

We just got an '06 CR-V-SE. I would have definitely added factory NAV if it was an option, too bad it is not. We are opting to get a portable aftermarket system instead (Magellan RoadMate 800, $1,000). It will not look anywhere as clean as a factory NAV and is much more likely to be stolen. (Even if you put the actual NAV box in the glove box or take it with you, the mounting bracket is still there to let thieves know that it is probably in the car somewhere.) I have also looked at in-dash aftermarket units (Pioneer AVIC-D1, ~$1,300 after rebate + installation). They are very nice but like myob says, more expensive. A good unit including installation runs $1500-2000+ and in my case I would lose my radio steering wheel controls and my 6 CD changer.

Availability of factory NAV will increasingly matter more to people when considering a specific model. If and when the new CR-V comes out with NAV it will lure a lot of people over to Honda that may have otherwise gone with the RAV4.
  • Options
    There is a cost to put a Navi in a a vehicle. If 80-90% of the buying public DONT want that feature.. how do you take it out? As an option .. yes.
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    I don't think anyone suggested it be a standard feature.
  • Options
    Making Navigation a $2000 stand alone option would please those who want Navigation and those who don't want Navigation.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Not only that, it's gotta be a cash cow for the manufacturers.

Oh well, I'm sure Garmin and Tom Tom are more than happy to take your money.

-juice
  • Options
    Yes its going to be a cas cow for Toyota because in addition for that they will equipt most of the RAV$ with the useless "Extra Useless Miles package" that ranges from $800-$1300 and "Vehicle it-doesnt-and-never-will-Shield Package" for around $350. In addition for that so that they can squeeze a lot more money from this so-called "low end SUV/Xover" theyre gonna roll those two wioth an option that will be popular like moonroof or 3rd row seat or SAB/SCB. Sort of like those 2 useless option is gonna ride along with the really popular options.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    It must really suck being down there under the purview of Gulf Coast Toyota Distribution. They single-handedly damage Toyota's rep in those southern states, and I am very surprised that Toyota NA or even the global company doesn't do something about it. Can you go to a nearby state that Toyota NA distributes for to get your new car? It would probably be worth the trip. You certainly wouldn't have to pay for any of that idiotic crap you have been listing in your posts.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    mkolmkol Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know when will the 4 cyl. RAV4 be available in the dealerships for test drive? Thanks.
  • Options
    I know. Check out the dealerships here in Houston, zip code is 77001 and 77090. Most vehicles have "Extra Mile" package and "Vehicle Shield" package. Example ,a Corolla CE Auto has this on the sticker:

50 State Emissions $0
    Speed Control $175

Permavin/Glass Etch And Limited Warranty $199

Upgrade Package Includes: Power Windows
    And Door Locks
    $500

The Extra Mile Option Package A
    Cargo Net
    Fabric Guard
    Custom Tape Stripe
    First Aid Kit
    Rear Bumper Protector
    Mud Guards
    Carpet Mat Set (5 Pc)
    Carpet Floor Mats
    Rear Trunk Mat
    No Charge Extra Mile Benefits:
    Roadside Assistance (3 Yrs/36,000 Miles
    Extra Mile Extended Life Tires
    (6 Years / 100,000 Miles)
    $331

Vehicle Shield Package
    Lusterizing Sealant
    Sound Shield
    Sealant Cleaner
    Rental Car Assistance
    $349

Rental car Assistance ? For what? Assist on what? Finding a Rental car company? I've got here my phone book , no need.

Even in the most low end cars, they have these packages. And yet people who needs or wants the SAB/SCB package cant find it. Why dont they push the SAB/SCB package to the customer instead of these useless ones. I dont need to shield my vehicle, I need shield for myself not the vehicle. Can they understand that?
  • Options
    killerpiecekillerpiece Member Posts: 56
    The new Rav4 intrigues me.... but I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers for through my research.... :confuse:

Does anyone know what the interior dimensions are??? (I have older kids and was hoping for at least 37in or so of legroom in the second row :blush: )

And what is Toyota using for the auto. trans.??? (I pray it's not the same five speed they use in the highlander/sienna etc. :sick: )

It's too bad this discussion isn't really active... :(

killerpiece :shades:
  • Options
    raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449