Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Most thread for new models are like that. When the concept comes out, it's busy. Then it goes idle until new info arrives. Finally, when the product comes out, or just before it gets active again.

-juice
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I hope I missed it. However, it appears that an auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass and lighted vanity mirrors are not available. I was hoping they would be included in the Limited package. Please tell me I'm wrong.
  • killerpiecekillerpiece Member Posts: 56
    Great info...

It answered all my questions. :D

It's too bad you can't get HID lights though! :(

Maybe you guys know, but once you open the compartment on top of the glovebox how would you get it closed again? The pics don't explain it... :confuse:

killerpiece :shades:
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    check out those stats from the Japanese website: the new RAV has the same wheelbase and almost the same length (three inches shorter) as my last-gen 4Runner. That is big for the model that started the cute ute craze.

If it sold here with the same prices as it does there, it would start at $18K for the FWD 4-cyl, $20K for the 4WD. If the prices stay like that for the U.S., it will be a relative bargain, even if the full complement of safety equipment is STILL not standard (shame on you for that, Toyota).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Well, you know how Toyota's a-la-carte menu item goes. For that $18k you get a chassis and an engine. Even power items cost extra.

It can be good (very flexible packaging) or bad (they nickel-and-dime the price up if you load it).

-juice
  • mkolmkol Member Posts: 6
    Wasn't Toyota supposed to announce the prices today? Anybody knows if/when will that happen?
  • ruogruog Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for that information also. But still not available. BTW, where are you?
  • mkolmkol Member Posts: 6
    San Diego, CA. :shades:
    I have sent a message to one of the local dealers asking when will they have a show-model and got no response...
  • csmatrixcsmatrix Member Posts: 13
    I bet you the 06 Rav-4 is going to be an expensive little SUV especially considering that you can push the current Rav-4s price into the upper 20s. I would say that a fully loaded Rav-4 Limited V6 would cost in the low 30s.
    They are limiting options, perhaps they put a cap at $30k for that reason - the psychological barrier when you go over that price point.

-juice
  • terakamiterakami Member Posts: 4
    I hope it doesn't go up as high as 30, why should you pay a lot more when the CRV is just as big and still in the low 20's? Also you could just get a highlander if it is that high and get all the options that you want, it won't be a new model, but I have to think about my pocketbook.
    Anyone get to peek at the underside? I was driving behind a pair of RAV4s today in my Miata, and from that low point-of-view, I saw the suspension and exhaust on the existing model. Both are poorly located right now, the lower control arms dip well below the rear diff, and the exhaust is actually routed beneath the diff, which makes no sense at all.

I hope they were able to clean up the underside so there would be less stuff to tangle up on and/or high-center in deep snow.

Any pics?

-juice
  • toyotagsmtoyotagsm Member Posts: 2
    I am a Toyota dealer. We just received pricing - here it is. All pricing is MSRP base price without Transportation.
    I am amazed at 2 things (time to sound like a car salesperson) - price is within $300 of 2005 comparable models and it got the Avalon 3.5L V6 with Dual VVTi and has 269 horsepower and 246 lbs-ft. torque.

4Cyl 2WD - $20,300
    V6 2WD - $22,335
    4Cyl 2WD Sport - $21,875
    V6 2WD Sport - $23,790
    4Cyl 2WD Limited - $22,555
    V6 2WD Limited - $24,470

4WD adds $1400 to each of the above pricing. Fuel economy on the 4Cyl is 24/29 on the 2WD and 23/27 on the 4WD and is 20/28 on the V6 2WD and 20/27 on the V6 4WD. Tons of standard features on the base model include Rear Spoiler, Audio mini-jack, Rear Privacy Glass, Remote Keyless, Tilt and Telescopic Wheel, One Touch Fold Flat rear seats, Three tiered Optitrom gauges, Ten cup holders, Three power outlets, Power Windows & Locks, A/C, Six speaker AM/FM with CD and MP3/WMA playback, Cruise - plus a lot more. With the standard features it is over $2000 less than a comparable Ford Escape.

The Sport adds Color keyed door handles, fender flairs, heated outside mirrors, 18" Alloy Wheels, Fog Lights, Black painted Roof Rails and Cross Bars, Smoked Headlamp Trim and Tuned Suspension. V6 4WD Sport is $700 less than an Escape V6 4WD with 69 more horsepower.

Safety - Vehicle Stabilty and Traction Control, ABS, Hill Start Assist, and Downhill Assist plus more.

OK I'm sick of typing. I have some more info, let me know if you have any questions.

Brian
  • toyotagsmtoyotagsm Member Posts: 2
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Base AWD V6 at $23,735 plus destination is DAMN impressive, given the feature content. Add about $600 for SAC (just a guess there), and you're still at $25K (including destination). Not bad at all.

~alpha
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    for $24Kish sounds ok.
  • cozcoz Member Posts: 3
    Thanx for the info Brian!

Any further info on the price of the Limited and what options it adds as standard equipment?

Lastly, any pricing on options such as tow package for the V-6, 3rd row seat option and power moonroof...if that is an option?
    Will this be standard of Limited, in not what is cost???
  • h1jh1j Member Posts: 4
    can you tell me if there is going to be a standard transmission. It seems it is never mentioned in any of the articles I have read. Or are the prices you posted for the manual so what is the list price for the automatic?

Thanks
    No manuals, only automatic, pricing for autos.
  • jonnjonn Member Posts: 1
    My RAV4 was bumped in the rear by a car going under 5MPH.Because the spare tire projects out it took the bump. It was so lightly hit that it did not even scratch the tire cover but it crumpled the tailgate enough that the door had to be replaced at a cost of over $1400. I would not buy this car again because of this astoundingly stupid design.
  • toyotamovertoyotamover Member Posts: 19
    Hi - this is Brian - Edmunds changed my screen name because it sounded offensive (obvious now that I see it) oops.

Anyway the Limited adds Color keyed door handles, heated power foldable outside mirrors, 17" Alloys, Full Hard shell color keyed tire cover, chrome grille, dual zone auto a/c with filtration, 8 way power drivers seat with power lumbar, cd changer with the standard 6 speaker stereo, leather shift knob and steering wheel cover, tonneau cover with cargo net, engine immobilizer and prewire and interior footwell lighting.

No list of option prices yet.

Brian
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    option will cost on a 4cy 4wd and if you will even be able to get one that is not packaged with a bunch of other stuff. I may postpone my Subaru Forester purchase now though. Note ithe Subaru will still likely be cheaper as they are selling by me for 21.2K out the door this month.....that an automactic too! If the MSRP is 22,200 then the invoice is likely around 20,200...how long till you think it will sell for 21,200....?
    Considering when it's being released to the public, does anyone know when Toyota might release a pre-production Rav4 for the press to drive (or when will we see a review of the car)? :confuse:

Also, is it known how much weight the car has gained? I'm wondering if a 4cyl. 4x4 will be power challenged?

And here's a can of worms to chew on.....PTTR & 5spd auto trans. hessitation, I know it will come up some time. So, does Toyota have a rep for PTTR (like the Honda CRV) in the Rav4? And do you think Toyota has fixed the ever controversial 5spd. auto. tranny that rears its ugly head in V6 FWD cars? :sick:

I know it sounds like I should be asking for Miss Cleo, :P but I didn't know if you guys and gals had any answers?

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Karl here at Edmunds already has one.. see his blog.
    Has one what? Checked out his blog and didn't see anything on the new Rav4.... Just the FJ cruiser which (don't mean to get off topic but...) is sooooo sweet!!! :P

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Since the new RAV4 is rear torque biased it isn't likely to use the closed throttle immediate upshifting firmware and therefore no downshifting delay when you re-apply the gas.

Other than no doubt improving fuel economy somewhat, the firmware's quick upshifting sequence with closed throttle coastdown circumstances also serves to reduce instances of inadvertent loss of directional control due to engine compression braking on the front wheels on a slippery roadbed surface.
    Are you talking about 4x2 or 4x4 models? And as a side note how did you become so articulate on the tranny stuff?

Thanx Brian....keep us posted on options...if you don't mind!
    Gotta go back a page to Nov 10.

Quote:
    I can't say much about this car because the embargo is Noevember 28. But I drove it home and back last night, and we'll have a full test up on November 28.

I'll limit my comments to three letters: WOW!

I can also say why I didn't like the previous RAV4 -- it was too small to be a very useful "utility" vehicle, and it felt sort of tinny. But I did like how nimble the previous version was in terms of driving dynamics. Let's just say the new car still has what I liked before, while fixing what I didn't. Nice work Toyota.

Unquote
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    This company is executing so well it is hard to believe. Toyota seems to have a sixth sense of what the buying public wants.

As an owner of a 2005 Infiniti FX35, my engine is rated at 280 horsepower and the FX weighs 4300 pounds.

The new RAV4 with the six has 269 horsepower by the new rating system and my guess would be that it will weigh the same as the CRV say about 3200 pounds.

My FX does 0 to 60 in about 7.4 seconds so the RAV4 should do 0 to 60 in approximately 6.4 seconds, Wow. And the RAV six is rated at 28 MPG, this is very impressive.

What do you all think about what the RAV should do 0 to 60?

With holiday cheer,
    What do you all think about what the RAV should do 0 to 60?

www.pressroom.toyota.com, today's RAV4 pricing announcement

0-60 '..under 7 sec'
    Prices are great. Especially for its size.

The only SUVs that compare in terms of acceleration are the Saturn Vue Redline and the Forester XT. The Forester is about as quick with the auto, quicker with the available manual.

But with a 3rd row option and more room, this thing is gonna sell like hot cakes. I predict they'll be at or near MSRP for 6 months, watch.

-juice
    Thanks,
    I don't think I would have found it without your post :blush:

The Toyota brand has really been nailing its redesigns lately, among them-

the hugely improved 04 Sienna
    the home-run 05 Avalon
    now this thoroughly redefined RAV4

I'm very hopeful for the Camry.

(That said, I'm lukewarm on the GS300, but think the GS430 hit the mark... both are selling quite briskly, as is the markedly improved IS)

~alpha
    I'm hopeful for the Camry as well since I've had 4 and am a big fan. But really I'm concerned that while there'll be some stylistic improvements and a lot of new content standard it will be essentially the same. This will go over like a lead balloon in the press and forums... and still it'll end up as the volume leader.

I've got kevlar earplugs ready for the barrage of 'same old, same old' in Jan/Feb for the 4c. If they put the Avalon 3.5L in and top it off at $28K loaded there's excitement. Then in July with the HSD 2.4L there's more excitement .. but at what price? .. and what quantity? ( miniscule? )
  • jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 35
    :)

"The RAV4, which has been extensively redesigned for 2006, is offered in base 4x2 and 4x4 variants, as well as Sport and Limited models. All trim levels can be ordered with either a DOHC 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engine or a new DOHC 3.5-liter V6 that delivers 269 horsepower and is coupled with a five-speed automatic. Stickers range up to $25,870 for the RAV4 Limited V6 4x4."
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I hope not! I am banking on the fact that folks are not shelling out (can not afford) $$$$ for already great deals on rebated Vs and Foresters. Surely there will be those who buy at MSRP but if Toyota wants my sale that number will need to come down within 3 months. Also, one selling point that should not be underestimated is the 3rd seat. I bet 99% of the time it will never be used. Still everyone (including my wife) wants one. If the extra seat adds more than $500 or is bundled with other junk that adds more to the price I think folks may still turn to the 'better deals' out there....
    Figure it'll cost about the same $850 that they add for the Highlander's 3rd row.

Still, that's under $27k for a Limited V6 4x4 with 3 rows.

-juice
    The press release indicates 2WD and 4WD, obviously leaving the question of the true meaning of 2WD open to question, FWD or RWD. But since according to the literature the torque split ratio can be rear biased I would guess that in this case 2WD means RWD.

Articulate....? Me?

What aspects?

Otherwise I guess I just read a lot about things that interest me and am able to comprehend a lot of what I read.

I did go out and buy a set of 2005 RX330 shop manuals (already had the 2000 & 2001 versions) to try and figure out this engine/throttle hesitation issue which seems to be transaxle "based".
    You are very well versed on the subject matter.... If you reread you're post it makes a lot of sense, and it sounds like you know what you're talking about.

articulate! :)

If it's RWD I would be surprised! I crossed my fingers and wished upon the last shooting star I saw that it would be RWD, but given that the Highlander is FWD, and all of Toyota's cars are FWD (except the Tundra and Seqoia), I can't imagine Toyota becoming that smart all of a sudden!

The 4WD, is it a true truck style 4x4 or more of an all wheel drive? That should give us an indication of Toyota's plans for the 4x2. "Truck style" should equal RWD, "all wheel drive" should equal FWD.

"When I wish upon a star, Toyota will make a RWD car....." Let's all hope Jiminy was right! :P

If it's not a FW 2WD I'll eat my hat. 'Yota is not that radical. The RAV is the entry level SUV for the budget conscious and first-timers. I think the V6 will be something special to own and drive. Presently however the customers that come in to look at RAV's are frugal to the extreme.

V6??? whateverfor?.. Leather? Not in this lifetime. Do I have to pay for the Pwr Windows and Locks and mats?

IMO the V6 serves as product support for salespeople (!) to bump a cost-conscious midsize SUV buyer down from a V6 Highlander; i.e. instead of negotiating down the price of a Basic 2WD V6 Highlander at $29K 'Can I show you this loaded V6 RAV at $27990? The loaded up V6 RAV takes the place of the 4c Highlander in this regard.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone and does anyone know if the RAV4 and or the FJ Cruiser is being shown at the Orlando Car Show this weekend?
  • mikelevine64mikelevine64 Member Posts: 39
    Toyota had the new RAV4 at the S. Fla (Miami) show two weeks ago so I would bet its on display in Orlando.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Is there any word of a Navigation option? Back up rear camera?
    Has anyone seen Toyota use the term "2WD" to mean front wheel drive? And isn't the use of the term "AWD/4WD" also unusual?

And I wouldn't be at all surprised (and extremely hopeful)to see the upcoming RX350 AWD/4WD version use the RAV4 driveline.