Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    Newbie question: Now that the RAV4 has been stretched and has an optional third-row, what are the distinctions that buyers are supposed to draw as compared to the Highlander?
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    When I was looking at the Sienna & Highlander last year, I noticed the Sienna is labeled AWD and the Highlander is labeled 4WD. The drivetrain is the same though???

Sienna spec: http://www.toyota.com/sienna/specs.html?s_van=GM_TN_SIENNA_SPECS

Highlander spec: http://www.toyota.com/highlander/specs.html?s_van=GM_TN_HIGHLANDER_SPECS

The pics of the new RAV4 engine compartment shows it's transverse mounted. So that should eliminate the RWD speculation.

4 CYL - http://pressroom.toyota.com/Images/View?id=TYT2005110274323

6 CYL - http://pressroom.toyota.com/Images/View?id=TYT2005110245975
  • killerpiecekillerpiece Member Posts: 56
    Good pics....

I would be surprised if this doesn't show that it's going to be FWD(4x2)..... :cry:

(there would be a bunch of swearing at this part of the post, but I would like to remain a member so i'll refrain) :P

killerpiece :shades:
  • ersenersen Member Posts: 1
    Hey Brian I am writing this from Texas. I am in need of buying this superb RAv4! The fact is I am gonna move out to Los Angeles next month. So my question is that if this car has been on sale right now since the prices are set on the web page? And what do you think about the price differences, buying this car in LA or in Texas would be more beneficial ? Thanks.
    ersen
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    IMO there will be a significant change in the Highlander when they redo it next year.

At present you have ( from memory - it's T'Giving ):

RAV 2WD 4c $21000 range + options
    RAV 4WD 4c $23000 range +
    RAV 2WD V6 $23500 range +
    RAV 4WD V6 $25500 range +
    ICE High 2WD 4c $26000 range +
    ICE High 2WD V6 $28000 range +
    ICE High 4WD V6 $30000 range +
    HSD High 2WD $33000 range +
    HSD High 4WD $35000 range +

The 4c Highlander is a dog frankly. It generates NO excitement. The HSD V6 Highlander IMO is too expensive for Toyota budgets.

Next year when the Highlander moves to the Sienna platform ( ? ) I wouldnt be surprised if they drop the 4c ICE Highlander and the HSD V6 Highlander replacing them with an HSD 4c Highlander and the new V6 ICE Highlander.
    The 'lineup' would look like this:

Leading off and playing 2nd..

RAV 2WD 4c $21000 range + options
    RAV 4WD 4c $23000 range +
    RAV 2WD V6 $23500 range +
    RAV 4WD V6 $25500 range +
    HSD High 2WD 4c $29000 range +
    HSD High 4WD 4c $31000 range +
    ICE High 2WD V6 $28000 range +
    ICE High 4WD V6 $30000 range +
    HSD High 2WD $33000 range +
    HSD High 4WD $35000 range +

OK designated hitter:
    HSD High V6 Limited ~ $43000

Why not give the 2.4L RAV the HSD option in 3 years when it's due for a freshening? It's the same engine as the Camry and Highlander.
    Would any prospective 06' "4 cylinder" RAV4 Buyers be interested in this as an alternative? If so, please post in that forum, so we keep it in line with the appropriate topics...thanks for any input, I'm just curious.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef06292
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Is that a bid to fool John Q Public into thinking he isn't buying a FWD that can be dangerous in adverse roadbed conditions?

Otherwise if it's FWD why not say so?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    This model is gonna take a big hit until the new one arrives. Especially with RAV4 pricing so much lower. I bet that besides the hybrid model, the rest will sit in lots while the RAV4 gets wait lists.

They'd better hurry up with the redesign on the HL.

-juice
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The price plummet will be good for Highlander buyers who are looking for a deal.
    The Highlander is in its lame duck year anyway. What I'm really surprised about is that Toyota is building a new RAV line in Canada to produce 100000 units a year !!!!!

WOW. There is something in the works if they plan that many vehicles. That's at least 50% more than they are doing now.

To me it seems a natural when the HSD Camry debuts in the spring to then convert the 4c RAV and the new 4c Highlander to hybrid-only if the cost is low enough.
    Just Do It. All 4c SUV's are hybrids. Drop the V6 hybrid and leave it for the Rx400h.

Both vehicles would likely be 31-32 mpg combined but with 225 hp.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    Another way to look at the RAV4 is this: Toyota is basically lowered the price of the Highlander by $4-5k by introducing the new RAV4 without having to resort to price cuts on the old Highlander. Hence the need for a plant in Canada to build more RAV4s.

They will definitely have to discount the old Highlander for the year (and lower production I would presume). However, when the new Highlander bows, Toyota will keep the MSRP close to the old one and offer a Pilot-sized vehicle (if not bigger) for the price of the old V-6 Highlander ($28-35k).

Any way you slice it, the new RAV4 is a great deal for the consumer. The idea of a 269 hp, AWD, (dare I call midsize) SUV with very respectable gas mileage (20/27) for $26k is impressive.

I just wish that rear door was a more traditional design. Guess it wouldn't be a RAV4 then....
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Buyers who are deterred by the untraditional rear door design should check out the (now) value priced Highlander with a traditional rear door.
  • easy2t2easy2t2 Member Posts: 31
    I think this vehicle is great. It shows Rav4 is not as efficient as they say. Nissan has a very good product. Too bad I cannot test drive one.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    No navigation or back-up camera will be available. They do have the DVD rear entertainment system though.

The third-row seat will vary from $700 to $950 depending on model and trim level.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Thanks for the info - disappointing news especially when you consider that several economy cars like the Civic and Prius offer it as an option. Maybe it'll become available in '07.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Chill. I'm pretty sure you'll see NAV in the RAV4 after the Highlander redesign- the model needs to be SOMEWHAT unique.

~alpha
    Hey, Toyota is offering a high-powered V6, a leather interior and other options found on "entry level" luxury vehicles. The lack of a Nav option is just plain strange, considering that this is a very easy and profitable add-on for Toyota, and this is 2006, not 1999. Not a deal-killer for me necessarily, but it will for many others if you believe what they post in these forums.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    Motorweek on PBS just stated that they will test the new RAV4 next Sunday, December 4th..
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    I'm eager to see how the vehicle handles off their cones. The prevous generations of RAV4 were widely praised as nimble handlers. With the big size increase, I don't think they'll retain that specific character. But I'd love to be surprised.
    It goes back to the marketing demographic that the RAV appeals to a more frugal buyer not a semi-luxury buyer. IMO the V6 RAV will be only 20% max of the total sales volume. Heck 49/50 Highlander buyers I see dont have any interest in the NAV on the Highlander and they are ready to pay upwards of $33K.

The present RAV buyer's alternate choices often are an LE Camry or Sonata at ~$21K or less. V6?.. leather?.. NAV?.. why on earth etc. One buyer in 5 years asked me for a Camry with NAV and she was the first buyer back in 2002. Noone since then.

The NAV buyer is relatively well off, technologically savvy and often a frequent traveller. This is not generally the RAV/Camry buyer.

The new V6 RAV with mega features is IMO directed to the Highlander shopper who wants to get more value for their $28K.
    Appreciate what you're saying, but I've also been following the new Civic threads, and the Nav is attracting a lot of attention (and buyers) on those forums. Strange but true.

I think in offering the V6 option with ~270 HP on the RAV, Toyota will be attracting attention from a different type of buyer - not just young females looking for a "cute" (and cheap) SUV.
    I think in offering the V6 option with ~270 HP on the RAV, Toyota will be attracting attention from a different type of buyer

I agree wholeheartedly that this new RAV might start to be a mainstream vehicle instead of just a 'cute ute'. Ergo there is a new plant going up in Canada to make upwards of 100K units annually. Presently they only sell abt 70K units annully. 'Yota doesnt usually make moves like this unless they know the vehicle will be in demand by the market. I'm guessing that Navi and other upscale options may be offered in the future as annual enhansements as demand warrants.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The new RAV 4-cyl AWD, coming in at 3444 pounds, will have about the same power-to-weight ratio as the pre-2004 RAV, which had 148 hp/142 lb-ft and weighed about 10% less than the '06 (and also had about 10% less power than the '06 will have), with the same 4-speed auto.

As I recall, the old RAV with the 2.0 strained a bit, especially on the highway in passing and on grades. So I do think the 4-cyl will be slightly outmatched once again now with the weight increase of the supersized '06 RAV. The FWD should be OK though. Those wanting AWD might want to think more seriously about that V-6, especially with a paltry two points difference between them in fuel economy (was that really the best you could do, Toyota, or are you really hoping to sell more than the expected 20% of the mix as V-6s?)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Mazda also comes with a 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

I would bet that within 10 years all cars will have navi as standard equipment.

Happy Holiday everyone.
    However, its not the exact same 4sp auto- has it not received revised gearing?

Also, the power and torque numbers you are comparing are apples and oranges- the 01-03 figures are non SAE certified (meaning, they are likely inflated) and the 06 numbers ARE SAE certified. The 2.4L also has a much broader torque spread as compared to the 2.0L, more so now thanks to VVTi on both intake and exhaust sides.

In my opinion, despite the weight gain, I dont think the new RAV4 4 cyl AWD will be as slow as the 01-03 model, nor do I think it will quite match the departing model (note that that vehicle likely produced about 154 horses and 160 foot pounds, based on the 06 Camry's rerated 2.4L numbers).

~alpha
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    I would guess that the 4-spd. auto will be retired very shortly. I wouldn't be surprised if the '07 went with the 5-spd.

By the way, the 2.4 is still single VVT-i.
    Can't wait to hear what they have to say. My TiVo is already programmed to record it. :)

Does the swinging door still open to the curb side, to block you from loading groceries? They didn't have enough time to fix this? :confuse:

NAV - portable units are fine. Try a Garmin c320, we love ours.

Toyota will fix this. One survey said about half of shoppers are considering NAV for their next car, so in a few years NAV will be mainstream, just like air conditioning or power mirrors.

To be honest, I never use power mirrors. Yet I use NAV all the time.

-juice
    The 2.4L is still single VVTi? Really? How'd they manage the hp bump then?

~alpha
    I think that with the 2.4L and the added weight you noted leads perfectly into a Hybrid addition if the price differential is not too great to price out the bulk of the entry-level buyers. 2 yrs hence?
    Wonder if some day they might also offer a hybrid in conjunction with the V6, like the RX400. As it is the V6 is a lot more powerful than the base RX330 V6.
  • killerpiecekillerpiece Member Posts: 56
    Just read the Edmunds review, everything is sounding great until they mention that their 6'4" editor didn't fit in the car! THAT REALLY SUCKS BECAUSE I'M 6'6"! %#@&! I was really interested in a v6 4x4 limited, but Toyota had to build it so that I (or probably anyone else over 6') either won't fit comfortably or just won't fit! I guess i'll have to go see if I can fit for myself, but I won't get my hopes up...

Sorry for ranting, it just pisses me off when carmakers don't relize that not every tall person wants to drive a full size car because that's all they can fit into.

On a different note, if you read the review carefully you'll notice that they commented about the transmission. All of the comments looked very positive to me, maybe Toyota's revamping of the VCM (is that the right acronym?) had something to do with it?

Looking forward to hearing from the person with the first car. December 19th!

killerpiece :shades:
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=108153

Looks like yet another winner for Toyota. :shades:
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Very positive review. The V6 is as quick as the specs promised.

Some items in the review worth mentionining:

- No shock here, the AWD system is FWD-biased, and will send back 45 percent of torque on demand. A locking mode forces torque to the rear.

- Very good braking distance on the pre-production vehicle, 60-0 in a fine 120 feet.

- They claim the vehicle is still nimble. Usual complaints about Toyota's aggressive VSC with no way to turn it off.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    how fast can you go with it locked in the 4WD mode that sends 45% of the torque to the rear. Is that just a low-speed thing, does it disable VSC, and can you switch to it on the fly? (I am assuming the answer to the last question is yes, since this is just an AWD vehicle, and not one with a locking center diff)

Apart from that, it is too bad the manual is gone, but everything else sounds good, if typically Toyota in the sense that you will pay more than comparable models from other manufacturers to get similar equipment levels.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Don't give up hope till you try to sit in the RAV 4. At 6' 4" myself I often have to give up on a car due to interior space issues.

Some cars are more accommodating to legroom than torso height so your mileage may vary.

I have a 36" inseam on pants but am not porpotionately tall in the torso so legroom is more important to me than headroom. I have no idea how this Edmunds editor is proportioned so I will not let his inability to fit dissuade me from giving the car a try.

Everything else looks great - price, mpg, reliability reputation of Toyota.

I am also considering Honda Pilot, Nissan Murano, Acura MDX and Honda Odyssey. This looks to be thousands less.
  • ejjejj Member Posts: 36
    It might be like the old 4Runner--a car I loved and wanted, but could not fit into it. I couldn't see out the windshield!
  • jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 35
    the only negatives i see is that the spare is still on the liftgate (or tailgate) and the liftgate still opens sideways.
    Don't overlook the fact that motorized seats often will "lower" significantly more than the manual ones.
    You can turn it off, but it's not simple. I saw someone document how to do it on a Lexus IS. Hit this twice, then do this, do that with the parking brake, etc. It's for techs to let it do dyno tests, but it's possible.

The rear gate does block the curb side when you pull up to load groceries - DOH! Flip it, guys, this it not Japan!

FWD bias, too bad it's not a 50/50 viscous coupling. I bet they could not get VSC to work with a full-time system.

Nit picks, though. It looks fantastic.

The only big omission is no manual tranny, and most people won't care.

-juice
    In the test from Edmunds it says "Base Price: $26,475 Price as Tested: $32,708" ....6K in options! Typical toyota :mad:
    At least Toyota makes the extra features available as options, rather than forcing you to buy stuff you don't need.
    True, but the problem is getting it optioned the way you want it. My past and recent experiences buying my Sienna and Camry, they have a tendency to package options which force you into something you don't want or need, hopefully they won't do that here. Does anyone else out there think that 32K is a little steep for this thing, or is it just me?
    Class leading acceleration, handling, fuel efficiency. 32K includes pretty much every option, except the 3rd seat. Want to save several grand? Skip the leather and rear DVD entertainment system, you'll be around 28K.

I dont know, I just see things in perspective, I guess. You can easily option a much less impressive Equinox to 30K, the CR-V SE (lacking rear DVD and a V6, along with several other items) is 26K, heck... the AWD Legacy GT auto is 31K.

~alpha
    "..too bad it's not a 50/50 viscous coupling..."

Be careful what you wish for. The VC in my 2001 AWD RX300 is so flaccid it takes 2-3 minutes before it heats up enough to couple any torque to the rear and even then only 25%.

And the VSC/Trac system on it seems to work very well. But I'm not sure that the "native" torque distribution of 90/10 F/R qualifies as full-time AWD.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    I'd prefer that Toyota would stick the new 3.5L motor in the Highlander so I can get a normal rear hatch. The only bummer is that the optioned out Highlander comes with the useless 3rd row seat standard.

It's funny, Toyota seems to be the only company that has a rear power window that rolls down into the liftgate (Landcruiser, 4Runner). Very nice feature. Too bad they couldn't do the same with the RAV4.

Other than that, damn nice vehicle. Is $32k for a Rav4 steep? Think of it as a 2nd generation Highlander for less money. I did think that one could option out a Limited RAV4 AWD V-6 with Leather, sunroof and a few options for about $30k. Guess I was wrong.
    Didn't the original RAV4 have a VC? I guess they're not all made the same.

I love the one on my Forester, it never feels like FWD, but it's safe and will pull you out of a skid in the snow. Safe and fun.

$32,708 kind of spooked me. Wow.

And remember, it did not have the 3rd row, that would push the price to $33.5k or so. You can get an MDX for that, street price.

If dealers load them up, they won't stay at MSRP for long.

I just think the RAV4 makes a whole heck of a lot more sense in a lightly equipped V6 model. Great power, amazing gas mileage for the size/performance, plenty of room, and you can go a-la-carte with options if you order one.

Get a V6 for mid 20s and IMO it's a deal. Over 30k you should be in something else, wider and more substantial.

-juice
  • 6daysonroad6daysonroad Member Posts: 8
    Read most of post; could not find it. Does it have Bluetooth or not?
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Reviews/SUVs_Wagons/2006_Toyota_RAV4.S181.A9686.ht- - ml

This is good!
    "The four-cylinder will still be the most popular engine choice, though; Toyota anticipates that about 70 percent of RAV4s will have the four and 55 percent of all RAVs will be the base "Standard Grade" trim. Initially, 56 percent will be 4WD"
    Actually, you may just be able to get a Limited with leather, moonroof, side curtains, for 30K... me thinks the rear seat DVD system costs a pretty penny... skip on that piece and you might be golden.

~alpha