Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Good looking, reasonable value but I can't get over the fact that the Toyota engineers can't find a place for the spare tire besides hanging it off the back of the vehicle. Reminds me of the Jeeps of 60 years ago.

So asinine!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Where did you see the '06? Dealers in Southeastern PA do not have any yet. I am waiting to drive it so that I can compare it with the CRV. There are great deals on the CRV right now. '06 is the last year before the new '07 redesign model.
  • tomba1tomba1 Member Posts: 1
    Check out a Suzuki Grand Vitara and see how much more you get for your money. The Rav4 is a pretty good vehicle, but is overrated compared to the new Suzuki. Suzuki has been making cars, motorcycles, and marine engines longer than Toyota has existed. A sunroof, leather seating, 4WD, traction control, multiple airbags,17" wheels, etc. etc. costs about what the Rav4 base model with a 4 cyl. engine 2WD would cost. Did I mention the 100,000 mile warranty?
    One catch...depreciation. Toyotas hold their value, Suzukis don't. I find comfort in knowing that my car is still worth something after 5 years.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Yes, if a car is bought only because it's cheaper than the competition when new, they are also only wanted for bargain basement prices used.
    You need to buy a car you like the best, not a car you don't really want, but only decide to accept because the price is so cheap.
  • absolutboy20absolutboy20 Member Posts: 24
    Blackexv6, I'm in CA in the SF bay area. Considering that they only have one car (and a red one at that), it seems as though shipments have just started. I think it actually came in last night since some of the salespeople didn't even know they had one. At least we know that they are finally reaching the dealerships.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    You mean the depreciation RATE is lower on the RAV4; but the total depreciation is simply based on which vehicle cost more. Someone in the life of the RAV4 is going to get hit with substantial depreciation at some point, as all non-collectible vehicles go to $0.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    The Grand Vitara with that equipment is a little over $24K. The V-6 AWD RAV4 Limited starts about $1K higher, although you wouldn't get the leather and sunroof. The RAV4 has the stability control, 17" wheels, and most importantly to many a V-6 that is best in class; the only engine close is the Honda V-6 in the Saturn Vue.
    The RAV4 also is rated about 4 mpg better.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    True. Eventually every single car will be worth $0, its just a matter of 5 years from now, or 10, or 15, or 20, or 30, or 50, etc.
    I agree that eventually every car is worth $0 after time. However, as a former domestic car owner (Ford) I suffered a tremendous loss after 5 years. My '03 Honda Accord on the other hand is still worth a lot of money. Feels good to see used Accords selling for a couple of grand less than new.
    More than a couple grand less or it would be really stupid to buy it instead of just getting a brand new one.
    If you have a 1 or 2 year old car with a very high "book value," you have to sell for less if you actually expect to sell it in a short time.
    I've seen people listing 1 year old Accords for more than you could negotiate a new one for. They are not going to get their asking price.
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Just got a quote on a base, 2006 4*4 Rav @ $23,913 plus tax, license, and doc fee.

The options include the following: cargo cover with cargo net; black roof rails; 17" 5 -spoke wheels; amd drivers amd front passengr front seat-mounted air bags and front and second second row roll-sensing side curtain airbags; carpeted floor mats; and Security System.

This is the Total vehicle price - I did not press a discount, but it looks like one poster got $1,600 off of sticker.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    "Grand Vitara with that equipment is a little over $24K. The V-6 AWD RAV4 Limited starts about $1K higher".........Sounds great. Toyota could sell 300,000 of them at that price....Think about it.....A Toyota AWD 269HP RAV4 Limited for a little over 25K??? These vehicles will sticker for $29K with NO options, which you likely won't find. Look for, and expect to pay $31-33K. And they'll be worth every penny. :D
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    I stopped by at Koons Toyota in Tysons Corner, VA, on my way home yesterday. They just got one yesterday (a blue base model 4WD)--the first in the DC metro area, as far as I can tell. That dealership is a zoo, and they'd only let me drive it around in the parking lot, but I was very impressed from the short experience. It seemed very well designed and screwed-together, altogether as refined (and nearly as big as) the Highlander. The MP3/aux stereo mini-plug (and another power outlet) are found in the center storage bin; nice touch. The rear seats are much roomier than the '05, and can both travel forwards/backwards and recline. Ample storage in rear (especially with the hidden compartment under the floor board).
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I believe, and it's just my opinion, that the rear-stored spare is intentional on the RAV. It's one of the design characterstics that differentiates this model since it came out. The Highlander OTOH has it stored underneath. Two different models and two different styles.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the Suzuki's V-6 is down a lot on power vs the RAV V-6. For about the same fuel economy. On the flip side, the 4-cyl RAV makes much better fuel economy. And I have exactly one Suzuki dealer in a 40-mile radius (and it's not close by, not even in my county). Difficult for servicing. Toyota dealers are everywhere.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rsaltus1rsaltus1 Member Posts: 43
    Why are dealers in some areas already giving test drives when I'm told by a Boston-area dealer now they won't be here until Jan. 12 or so? Do they get to the West Coast first? I could get a 2006 CR-V tomorrow, but I want to hold out to see if the RAV4 is as great as it seems....
    Any other reports of dealers having them now?
    Oh well, I can spend the time trying to think of a creative way to unload my low-mileage 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee. On Craig's list, there's a mob of people practically giving away even late-model Jeeps. They must be handing out Prozac in Detroit even to the people who haven't been canned.

rs
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They could put it under but it would probably have to be a donut and it would sacrifice a little clearance (which already isn't that good vs. competitors.

Grand Vitara looks decent, but look at the HP ratings, their V6 could be doing a whole lot better. And for that you get less mileage and less space. You have to really need a low range to pick that over a RAV4.

-juice
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    We have 96 Rav 4X4 automatic with a great many goodies...in fact everything except sunroof and leather. It has a little over 80K miles. Its trade-in value is $4500, $7000+ dealer retail and we should be able to sell it privately for about 6K. NOT BAD for a 10 year old car....BUT......... while a great man people say its fairly priced and in great shape, they feel its pricey for a **10** year old car. They'd rather spend $3300 for a used domestic of that vintage. Several also can not get a loan. A few also said they'd only by from a dealer to get an extended warranty. So, even though depreciation has been excellent, what good is it if you can't sell the car!

We are waiting to try the new RAV before committing to a Forester.
  • bstinmanbstinman Member Posts: 6
    I'm in the Cleveland Ohio area and have had 3 seperate dealers tell me the RAV would be in this past Monday. Each day they expect it to arrive but it doesn't. Worst thing is I'm wanting to get a V-6 and with the 4's delayed who knows how long it will take for a 6 to arrive. Anybody have any idea what may be causing the holdups?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Maybe Toyota is relying on the New York City Subway? ;)

Seriously though, I dont think any delays in arrival of the 4s should mean a subsequent delay in arrival of the V6s. It seems to be regional; others here have posted that they've seen the RAV4 in showrooms. I would wait until week-end to be concerned.

~alpha
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Sorry if this has been discussed before but I was just wondering if the platforms are the same and any other parts of it?
    I know the size has changed as well as the interior and got to see one last week a dealership was training on. Very nice indeed.

Trying to see if it would be a safe choice as its a first year model of the latest generation.

Thanks ....Ken
  • bcbob8bcbob8 Member Posts: 17
    FWIW, there is a 2006 Rav 4 for sale on eBay with a lot of photos. Just search for 2006 rav4.
    Interesting. It looks like it would be pretty awkward to pull the doors shut from the inside.
    Door pulls are strange.
    Ford did something even worse with the door pulls in the new 2006 Explorer.

I like the looks of it otherwise. 4 cylinder gas mileage seems good by SUV standards, but I wonder about the noise and if it can at least do 0-60 under 9 seconds.
    Yes, it's sad that the 4 cylinder only gets a 4 speed transmission. Especially since it's an all new model. 5 speeds are starting to be expected new designs. With a 5 speed automatic, it might get over 30MPG highway and be quieter.
    Maybe there is a new transmission in the works that just won't be ready in time for the 2006 models.
    For people who choose to forget about city stop and go driving mileage, salespeople will say the V6 only gets 1 less mpg and use that for justification to go for the V6.

Many Avalon drivers are getting great mpg on long highway drives with the engine, but only 16-17 in city traffic.
    I think it's a weather thing here in the eastern part of the US. The vehicles are actually at the ports, NY in our case, and have been for a week or so.

The V6's are Jan/Feb.... ;) subject to weather. Also it will take some weeks to get a full inventory. There are 1600 dealers in the US, I understand that initially each will get 1-3 units.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Insofar as fuel economy is concerned the number of gears available has no affect. If you want to drive, say 70 MPH, the manufacturer wants the engine RPM to be at the lowest possible rate that will still produce enough torque to overcome all of the loses inherent in speeding along at 70 MPH.

In the RX330 that turns out to be ~2200 RPM. So the O/D ratio, 1:1.7, is specifically selected for that purpose. Then 1st gear's ratio is selected for the most appropreate torque for startup on dry pavement. The only thing extra gear selections actually provide is the ability to keep the engine within the peak torque band when accelerating rapidly.
    It does make a difference in mileage because, the fewer the number of gears, the less likely the top gear will be as tall as possible since the gear ratios will need to be spaced further apart. A downshift from 5th to 4th in a 5 speed is much less jarring than the downshift from 4th to 3rd in a 4 speed. To lessen the need for freqent downshifting into 3rd(as well as to make upshifts smoother), they make the top gear lower when there are only 4 gears available.
    15 or 20 years ago 3 speed automatics were the norm.
  • victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    Just being a good samaritan: If you're in the DC area, stop by Lustine Toyota in Woodbridge, VA. They just got a '06 Pacific Blue Met Base model w/4WD yesterday (12/21).

Like someone said in earlier post, it has grown to almost the size of the Highlander. Visually, it's just a touch narrower and shorter. To me, that's the drawback because the car didn't feel as agile and responsive as the old one. The nose is quite a bit longer form the outside, but the view from the cockpit is still more than acceptable.
    The LED taillights are nice, and they add the 'upscale' look to the car. There are thin clear plastic white 'eyebrows' design in the upper part of the headlight housings--BMW style. The back quarter with those flare-out bottom corners of the C-pillar remind me of the VW and Porsche SUV.

The inside has a smoother feel to it. It's also a bit more 'upscale'. I like how the backseats can be adjusted fore and aft. There are a few more bin and storage pockets in the trunk area. I didn't spend any time in the backseat, so I don't know if are any surprises or improvements.

I was their first customer to test drive it--probably, the first in the DC area. :) Overall, it's bit quieter and smoother than the '05. The wind and road noise is much less, but the engine noise is about the same as the '05. And that was with the Base 215/70R16 steel wheels. I'm pretty sure that the upper trim with wider tires would produce more road noise. Bigger V6 might help smoother out the I4 noise as well.

Like I said earlier, the drive is more heft and less agile than the '05. I guess with the weight difference of ~500lbs (according to the '05 and '06 brochures), it should feel that way.
    Oops, sorry buddy. I didn't see your post before I posted mine. I guess we're among the first to test the '06.
    Your comments on the vehicles loss of agility are interesting, and surprising. Not one mag review has noted that, and several have stated that Toyota managed to keep it one of most agile compact SUVs... perhaps it depends more on the amount of exposure the tester had to the previous generation.

~alpha
  • rsaltus1rsaltus1 Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for the 411. Did you have any impression, one way or the other, about space for the driver's left foot? On the CR-V I drove, leg room was a little cramped for me (I'm tall) and it narrowed such that my left foot wasn't comfortable.
    Thanks
    rs in boston
  • vwdriver2vwdriver2 Member Posts: 54
    Our second car is an 2005 Toyota RAV 4L and we love it...I think we drive it more than our first car...the only problem that I have with it is the amount of road noise when driving on the highway or at high speeds. You can barely hear the radio...other than that..it's a great little SUV. I hope that the 06 improved on this and I am also happy to see that it is a little bigger as well. It could use the extra space for the backseat passengers and cargo space. I am sure you will be seeing a lot of the new RAV-4's on the streets...anyone have sticker prices???
    Beaman Toyota in downtown Nashville sent me an e-mail with some pricing details.

Shown below is a FWD Limited I-4. This gives you an idea of features and pricing on this trim level.

Retail
    Vehicle Base Model ....................: $22555.00
    Total Accessories .....................: $ 2168.00

MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE
    2.4 Liter DOHC 4CYL Engine w/VVT-i
    4 Speed ECT Automatic Transmission
    Front Wheel Drive/4-Whl Ind Suspension
    Electronic Power Steering System
    Fr&Rr Stabilizer Bars/4-Whl Disc Brakes
    17" 6-Spk Alloy Whls w/P225/65R17 Tires
    & Full Size Spare Tire on 17" Stl Whl
    SAFETY
    Star Safety System Includes:
    Vehicle Stability Ctrl w/Traction Ctrl
    Anti-Lock Brakes w/Brake Assist & EBD
    Dr & Fr Pass Advanced Fr Airbags (SRS)
    3Pt Seat Belts in All Locations
    2nd Row CRS Lower & Top Tether Anchors
    Rr Dr Child Safty Locks/Eng Imob & Prwre
    Direct Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    EXTERIOR
    UV Reduction Glass Wndshld/Rr Priv Glass
    Clr-Kyd Bmprs, Rr Spoiler, Dr Handles,
    Pwr Heated O/S Mirrors, Spare Tire Cover
    Chrome Grille, Black Roof Rack
    Multi-Reflector Halogn Auto-Off Headlmps
    Front Var & Rear Int Wipers/Mast Antenna
    LED Tail and Stop Lamps / Fog Lamps
    COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
    Dual Zone A/C w/Clean Air Fltration &
    Micro Dust/Pollen Removal/Info Display
    AM/FM CD 6-Disc In-Dash CD Chgr w/6 Spks
    Mn-Plg/Man Tlt/Tlscpc Lthr Strg Aud Ctls
    Cloth Int, / Pwr-Adj Dr / Man Adj Pass
    2nd Rw 60/40 Splt,Reclne,Fld Flt w/Slide
    Fwrd Cpblty w/Ctr Armrst, 2 Cup Holders
    Dual Glove Box/Digital Clock/Cruise Ctrl
    Power Windows/Door Locks/Keyless Entry
    Optitron IP Gauges / Gated Shifter
    2 Fr/1 Cargo Auxiliary 12V Power Outlets
    Rr Crg Area 2nd Rw Seat 1 Tch Fld Flt Lv
    Ctr Cnsl w/2-Illum Cup Hldrs, Cell Phone
    Storage,Upper Storage Tray, & Cnsole Box
    Tneau Cvr w/Mlti-Prpose Net & Suprt Pole
    Rr Cargo Storage w/Undr Flr Storage Spce
    Svisr w/Ext & Ilum Van Mir/Slver Int Trm
    Retail
    Vehicle Base Model ..........................: $22555.00
    Federal Emissions ..........................
    Driver & Front Passenger Front ............. 650.00
    Seat-Mounted Side Airbags and Front-and ....
    Second-Row Roll- Sensing Side Curtain ......
    Airbags (RSCA) .............................
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade ....... 900.00
    Carpeted Floor Mats ........................ 119.00
    Remote Start ............................... 499.00
    ---------
    Total Accessories ...........................: $ 2168.00
    Destination Charge ..........................: $ 605.00
    ---------
    Total .......................................: $25328.00

This particular RAV4 should be here in 3 weeks or so as it arrives in Portland today. We have others that will be here before then.

Happy Reading... :)
    I think the press all drove the V6 preproduction models if i'm not mistaken. The initial delivieries will all be the I4's.

I thought that the I4 in the '05 model was very spunky so it makes sense that the added weight on the '06 would make the same I4 feel less spunky.
  • absolutboy20absolutboy20 Member Posts: 24
    Toyota has updated their website to include the 2006 Rav 4. I think this change happened yesterday. They don't have pricing info for the 6 banger, but if you're in the market for the 4, you can load it up with the three different styles to see how much MSRP is going to run.
  • bstinmanbstinman Member Posts: 6
    I got this message from a local dealer here in the Cleveland area in regard to the RAV4's being stuck in port.

"I just found out that nobody will get a single RAV4 until everyone can get a RAV4. They are holding them in West Chicago until they have enough to give to everyone and then they are going to ship them from there. They have put off shipping to dealerships until next week. 3 will arrive here next week. Then late in the week, or early the following week, we will have 4 more."
  • gracejoangracejoan Member Posts: 11
    FYI: Here are my local area Toyota dealers that now have RAVs listed with prices etc.
    www.jimbarkleytoyota.com

www.bryaneaslertoyota.com
    He wasnt referring to acceleration, he was referring to agility, and the press has stated that the RAV4 is still one of the most agile in the class.

Car and Driver provided a few paragraphs on the 4 cylinder's performance, you may want to check out the 10 Best issue.

~alpha
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    How does the gas mileage of a 4 cyl, AWD RAV (2006) compare to that of a similar Honda CR-V (22city/27 hiway)?
    the first eBay auction for a 2006 RAV4 is up...

link title
    Yes, someone already posted that yesterday.
    Well, it was just my gut feeling after driving it for about 10 miles zig-zaging through residential streets, back road curves and bends, and a short 3+ miles on a freeway (50-60mph).

Did the magazine reviewers specifically say that the '06 is more or as agile as the '05?? I can't speak for the other small SUV's in this class. But larger and heavier body tend to lead to a sloppier handling and less 'light' on the feet.

Also everybody has his/her own scale. So give it a drive and determine for yourself. For me it didn't do it.
    Sorry for the double post.
  • johan1johan1 Member Posts: 21
    Just wondering how frequently the new RAV4 should be maintained, ie. 3000 miles or 5000 miles? And is there a difference due to 4 or 6 cylinders?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    dealers in the area are already advertising the very first '06s they get on craigslist and ebay. They say they will sell at MSRP, but I would need to see it to be sure. It just seems so ODD, considering the new model is so much improved over the old, and there are bound to be some buyers out there who are willing to pay full sticker, and who will come to the dealers directly.

I bet they are marking them up. What a cheesy thing for a Toyota dealer to do with a new model.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Whe someone buys one, they will need to look in the owners manual and see. However, I don't think there is a single newly designed mainstream car that still has 3000 mile service intervals even for their severe schedule, so you can probably dismiss that as a possibility.
  • johan1johan1 Member Posts: 21
    Honda Pilot demands a service interval of every 3750 miles. And at dealership, they simply add 3000 miles to the number on your sticker on the windshield for your next service.
    3750 for severe useage still isn't 3,000.
    Just because the dealer wants to make more money on maintenance and have you to come in at 3,000 miles even if you don't fall under the severe useage guidlines posted in the manual, doesn't mean you need to do it.
    All Toyota's now are 5000 miles or 6 months which ever comes first and the same intervals thereafter.