Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 7-Series 2007+

Comments

• q_krielq_kriel Member Posts: 2
    It is not normal, i have the same issue. I took it in to try and get them to fix it, and i was luck enough to get another 06 750 as a loaner, the loaner was perfect and had no issue at all. Its production date was 3 months later than mine. But still the service center could do nothing they also mentioned a software upgrade coming in June.

I have contacted BMW directly and they are investigating, but i do not have much hope they seem to care less than the dealer.

Well this is my last BMW luxury car, i cannot pay this type of money and get something like this.

I will post again if i get it resolved
  • bigjattbigjatt Member Posts: 5
    So I met with the BMW north America Rep. I drove the car and he sat in the driver's seat and the local BMW mechanic sat in the back seat. The car vibrated as usual. First claim they amde was that it was a "normal BMW" kind of vibration! I said nothing! They talked among themselves and comments like, "tires develop flat spots when at rest" and the car only vibrates when going over a bump were made. They took several notes.

They said they put the car up on ramps and looked at the tires and wheels. They called back and told me that the right two rims were bent and had to be replaced. The dealer called and left me a message that these are not warranty items but the BMW Rep. was going to do me a favor this one time to repalce them. They are on order and should be in today. They are trying to blame me for bending the rims. The problem has been there from teh day the car was handed to me. I also have the rough idle, loud whirrinmg sounds from the engine compartment at startup, squeaking when sitting in the car, ineeficient A/C in the hot weather and squealing breaks along with random resetting of the computer.

I'll post again once I get the car back and test drive it.

:lemon:
  • mph100mph100 Member Posts: 3
    Took delivery of 2006 750li with sport pkg 4 weeks ago. Cold starts produce an idel so rough the car shakes. I thought it would correct itself, but no luck. Have service appointment tuesday.

More concerning is the transmission. It will not shift out of high gear when it needs to. Instead, it loads the engine down to about 1200 rpm and then double or triple shifts producing a very jerky ride. This problem occurs continually until at highway cruise. Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences? Thanks.
  • boupierboupier Member Posts: 1
    You are not alone. My 2006 750Li also developed the very rough idle at cold start after performing fine for the first 6 months. The dealer had the nerve to tell me it's normal and that there is no fix. It only happens first thing in the AM, and I don't think they bothered to try it then. BMW of NA disagreed with the dealer's assessment, and are supposedly talking to the dealer to resolve it. I suggest call BMW NA directly at 1-800-831-1117. My very helpful contact there was Molly.
  • mikeebearmikeebear Member Posts: 13
    Wow, my dad was considering buying one of these but with all the problems I wonder if it's worth it! Do all cars have their bundle of customers that experience problems? Why don't they just test the darn cars before giving them out or before releasing them from Germany even?
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Do you think we will ever see all wheel drive in the 7 series? I think they should make this an option as BMW has it in the rest of the line and they need to remain competitive with Audi and MB who both offer it in their A8 and S Class.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview Porsche and BMW owners who use their car for “everyday driving,” from going to the grocery store to commuting to and from work, instead of just using the car during the weekends for nice drives. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, August 28, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what car you drive.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A reporter with a national newspaper is hoping to talk with consumers who have received or are giving a luxury car as a gift for Christmas. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 8, 2006 with your daytime contact info.

Thanks,

Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.
  • mikerpritchardmikerpritchard Member Posts: 2
    Testing this in the Pacific Palisades was a good idea. You see many a 7-series on a daily basis specifically in that area....I should know, I live there.
    Hi, guys. A little dead in this forum. Just wanted to know if the new 7s (06 on) have the I drive kinks worked out. I know of 2 people who had the first year model and both had to go "lemon law". Its such a great drive and one that I'm considering but not if the electronics are still a crap shoot.
    Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    One thing you can do is check the Consumer Ratings (link above is to the 07 reviews - prior years are also available). Several list iDrive in the Favorite Features section. I did see one complaint that it is overly complex, but otherwise the impressions seem to be favorable.
    Yes, I did. Thanks. Why are there no 7 series owners around to talk about there cars? Too busy driving? :)
    I have been concerned about reliability issues. CR does not reccomend and as I mentioned earlier, I know some of the first year cars were really problems. Wanted to know if the current year is good.
  • ibleaveibleave Member Posts: 13
    I've owned the Lexus 430, LX470, GS430, ES300, Mercedes e320 and more. The LX470 was the most trouble free. The Mercedes was the most trouble prone. This was my first BMW and I bought it new last year. I have about 14K miles on it and the only thing that has gone "bad" was a leaky valve on one of the tires (which the on board computer alerted me to as a "low tire warning") and which NTB repaired free of charge.

I'm very happy with my BMW.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Hi there

My friend is seriously considering buying a 740 or a 750li can i get some info that hows the car built quality driving feeling any any info that you can possible give me abt the specifications and the important useful options and your personal feeling abt the car is it too large to drive because of its size, hows the acceleration feeling and any personal details you can tell

Well since u mentioned that u owned many lexus my own personal favorite is the new LS 460. did u ever consider it.

Any comments appreciated

Thanks.
  • ibleaveibleave Member Posts: 13
    bmlexus,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I don't check this forum too often. To your questions, here are some of my misc ramblings: I don't have any information or experience with the 740s, the model before my 750Li. Since I went from a SUV to the 750Li, the BMW didn't seem too big to me :)

I've had a few friends with smaller cars test drive my 750Li and they are amazed that it doesn't feel / drive as big as it looks. Another friend of mine has a 330i sport and it definitely rides differently -- my car has a bigger feel and is much more comfortable (and my friend agrees). For specs and options, suggest looking at the BMWUSA web site (for new BMWs) and for used BMWs, see the Edmunds or Kelly Blue book web sites. Mine is loaded but I didn't get the comfort seating for the rear seats or the radar cruise control. I got but didn't think I'd really use things like the power closing trunk, comfort access (soft automatic closing doors), keyless entry / start or heated steering wheel (but I really like all of 'em). The car has lots of power (much more than I'd ever need or use). The back seat space is fantastic (more than in any of my SUVs). I've moved the passenger front seat all the way froward and had enough area in the backseat footwell to put a dinning room chair (without the chair touching the front or back seat) -- the trunk is also a good size (something that I was disappointed in my LS and GS).

I did not test drive the new Lexus 460 since I was not really satisfied with the ride and handling of my prior Lexus autos (too cushy, numb feeling -- at least to me). I did enjoy my LX but the gas mileage was not good (10-11 mpg in the city). One thing I will say about Lexus - the ML stereo is the absolute best I've ever heard. BMW and Mercedes could both learn something from Lexus in regards to auto stereo sound systems (and ergonomics - the japanese cars seem to be more ergo oriented than the german cars). I am not a fan of BMW's I-Drive -- I also was not a fan of having to acknowledge "I Agree" to the safety warning on the Lexus Nav system every time I turned the car on and having to pull to a stop to enter / change Nav information -- what a pain in the .... Every car has their good and bad aspects (all relative, I guess).

One thing to keep in mind, after the warranty is over, BMWs can be expensive to maintain if they develop problems. I haven't had any maint cost yet since it's still within the warranty period.

I get many more comments on my BMW than I ever did on any of my Lexus cars. Don't know why but people seem to be more impressed with this auto.

Good Luck!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The Lexus will not compare in driving qualities to the 7 series and the 750 will beat the pants off it in any test of speed.

If you like a tight responsive feel to a car, the Lexus is not going to cut it. On the other hand, the Lexus will no doubt prove more reliable and easier to maintain. it's a *very* nice car in its own right.

The 750iL does not feel at all like the size that it is, it "drives small" as they say in the car trade. Personally I'd go for the 740, which has lesser complexity in the engine compartment and better fuel mileage.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Thanks for all the info after a long time,well it's good to hear the good things and the problems things like. BMW can be expensive to maintain if they develop problems and thanks Mr_Shiftright for your thoughts as well its very true Lexus will no doubt prove more reliable and easier to maintain. it's a *very* nice car in its own right.

As i mentioned before I was only asking these info's for my friend who was at the time very interested in these luxury cars and strangely he still hasn't bought yet and is now considering a merc as a option I did try to pursue him to take the LS but he can't seem to decide whatever happens whatever he buys will certainly let u guys know and thanks again for sharing the information.

As for my self I have all options open to buying a new car which unfortunately will be in the next 2 years but i tend to get a SUV currently towards the x5 which i really like but had mix reaction abt the ride quality and run flats and reliability,well who knows many new SUV will hit the market in the next 2 years.
  • dradickdradick Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering how the 7 Series handles in wet weather. I know that it is not good in the snow being it is a rear rear drive car. I have the 530xi with my lease expiring soon and was wondering about how the 7 series was in the rain.
    My friend's 750 which I borrow on occasion is very good in wet weather. Tracks like a train.

As for snow, it should be pretty good, what with the weight and balance. My opinion about snow and a RWD car is this: It's 25% about the car, 50% about the tires and 25% about the driver.
  • blstsblsts Member Posts: 1
    Have "opportunity" to buy 2007 750i fully dressed out, has 130 mile, never registared. The problem in my mind is the car is three years old with the introduction of the 09 model. The asking price is $69k, now the question is what is it worth. Any insight would be appreciated.
    Edmunds True Market Value pricing thinks it's worth $59,000 private party, $61K dealer and $65K certified CPO car.

So looks like you have room here to negotiate. I'd certainly opt for the extended warranty if you plan to keep the car for any length of time.
  • kspainkspain Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about buying a 2006 used 750i Luxury--not sure what the "Luxury" entails within the car. My concern is that it's at a BMW dealer but it's NOT certified. The dealership is closed right now so I can't contact them to find out why it's not certified. They have other cars there that are certified. I looked the car up on Carfax and it's had one owner in GA which that is where I'm planning on purchasing the car. My question is why would a 750i not qualify for a CPO? Also, it has 43K miles on it, but it was bought in August 2005. So that's less than 15K per year. Does anyone know the true value of a non certified BMW? I know that a non CPO is cheaper than CPO, but how much cheaper should it be? How many miles will this car last? 100K? 150K? Of course this car will be maintenanced at a BMW dealership at every service intervals. Can I get an extended warranty on a non CPO car? What is the average cost to have the car serviced? According to Carfax, in February 2008 the front and rear brakes pads and rotors were replaced? Should I expect other wear items needing to be replaced soon? One thing that caught my eye on the Carfax report was at the last dealer service date it just says "Vehicle serviced; seatbelts checked." Would this might have meant the car was in some type of an accident? I live in the southeast. In fact, I used to work at BMW manufacturing in SC. We make the Z4, X5, and now the X3 in 2010. Any other suggestions before I decide to purchase this car would be of great help and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
  • jkutti2000jkutti2000 Member Posts: 5
    hmm. I am also like you considering getting a used 2006 750i

if you check ebay motors

http://tinyurl.com/5qsmdw

you will see there are a big bunch of them .. and some are priced in the low 30s..
    thats cheap, there were 75-80K and now 35K. they lost 40K in 3 years depreciation. wow !

I would say most of them are coming off 3 year leases. and have been sold to auctions.

while talking to a dealer, he suggested that best would be to get a car which has not run out of warranty and then buy 4 year 85 K or 100 K additional warranty.

I ran some quotes of warrantydirect.com and for a 49K 2006 car it came like 3000$.. not bad. as that will cover most of the big ticket item repairs

so , how would this deal be. we pick up a 750i for say 35K and add the warranty. and have peace of mind for next 4 years?

also what I want to know if some one can give me a approximate figure of the servicing required for a 2006 for the next 4 years. ONLY for routine maintenance.
    taking it from 50K to 90K.
    BRAKES 300-400 bucks a year ?. 2000 for 4 years.
    60K servicing.-a dealer told me it cost 1600$
    what else. say tires. 600-800 each 3 years?
    90 K servicing. ? 2000 more
    add another 1000 unforeseen ?

hence will it be . 7000 ballpark ?

any comments.

thanks in advance.
    JK
    Dallas TX
  • kspainkspain Member Posts: 2
    I'm driving 200 miles to look at a BMW 750i tomorrow. It's at a BMW dealership and has been fully inspected by them. It has 43K miles on it, and they are asking $35K. I'm going to get the extended warranty for $4,900 with a $0 deductible. This covers everything except for wear items. The contract is good for 4 years/100K miles. But I'm also going to buy a maintenance warranty for $1,800 which covers all wear items except for the tires and all service maintenance items. I know for brakes and rotors cost around $1,100. I'm not sure that if you buy a BMW from a private seller if you would be able to purchase the service (maintenance) warranty. You may want to check into it.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I too am looking at used 750's and am amazed at the relatively low prices. I would beware though of any other warranty other than a BMW CPO. However, the CPO has its limitations. It is only good for 6 years or 100,000 miles after date when it went into service.

Wouldn't the money-saving plan with the most BMW official warranty coverage be to buy an 06 750i , not the more expensive 750iL, with a entered into service date of say January, 06 and the CPO coverage? You'd get 3.5 more years of BMW warranty coverage.

On the other hand, I can't help but think that the economy isn't going to get any better and used 7 Series prices will take a hit this fall when a re-styled 7 Series makes its debut and the current 7 Series will no longer be the current style.

Finally, for anyone contemplating a 7 Series who lives in New England, we should factor in a complete set of winter tires and wheels. A package from the TireRack could easily hit $1500!
    If you buy a 7 Series, you have to accept a very high level of depreciation. It just comes with the beast, no matter what the year/model, good economy or bad.
    Yes, I also thought of that. ie try to buy a late 2006 model.

but you see. the 81 cars or so you see on EBAY. ie. nationwide. the exodus of 750 2006 models which have come up. they are mostly. lease returns. and I have browsed thru most of them. they all are put into service july-Aug.2005 time frame. Hence if we want a jan -apr 2006 model. it will have to be from a private party or a lease breaker..

Also, the CPO warranty. ? I dont thinK see it on any lease returns. Why would a leaser be even offered CPO. hmm. I think it is some thing they can add only if the seller agency is a BMW dealer?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A large local newspaper would like to speak with consumers who currently own or had owned a BMW 7 Series since the 2002 model came out. The reporter wants to discuss topics such as the Bangle butt and the iDrive. If you are interested in speaking to the reporter, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than September 15.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Good research. It makes sense that most leased cars would go into service very early-on in the model year to minimize the depreciation.

I wonder what it costs the BMW dealer to CPO a 7 Series? Maybe $1500 in paperwork with BMWNA plus whatever parts and labor is required? But since all BMWs come with free maintenacne you would expect that all the cars coming off lease would be up to snuff maintenance wise.

I think you can snag a fairly good low mileage 2006 750i or 750iL for 41K. Thats got to be a better deal than a new 5 Series for 50K.
    hmm.
    i did not think about it from that perspective.. ie. that the cars have been dealer maintained.. some times they say that leased cars are not taken care of properly, but this wont be the case for BMW..

and yes, I agree a new 5 series. cost like 50s.
    why settle for that, if u can get a 7 series. for 35K.. look on EBAY, I see 92 2006 750 cars listed... some of them in the 32 to 37K range..

one car dealer told me. make sure u buy a car which has less than 49999 miles. becuase u can still get addl warranty on it. easily. dont let the orig warranty lapse and then add another 4 year 100K warranty or some thing like that for 3-4K. additional.

one more suggestion. : how about getting a low mileage 2005 745i and getting the addl warranty for 4 yrs. 100K... but I dont see too many 745i on sale...

the 750is will be rolling. even more of them.. as they keep getting off lease...
  • speedy19speedy19 Member Posts: 71
    I am in the same situation as you, im purchaing a 750Li 2006.
    Looks like you can pick one up CPO at a dealership for around 40k excluding TTL w/ 35k miles average.
    To add to this, you get 1.9% APR w/ 2 months free payments!

BUT the problem is I can get the same car private party or 3rd party dealership for 35k!
    NO CPO no ext warranty, no maintainence pkg.

What to do?

Anybody recommend 3rd party warranty companies? Do they honor their word?

Can I still purchase the maintainence plan 100k 6 years if I purchase from a 3rd party? (This is different then the CPO warranty). This covers oil changes, brakes, etc. ??

Does anybody have costs for me? What shoud I expect for maintainence plan? What is the cost for warranty plans?
  • krasheedkrasheed Member Posts: 4
    I need to know if it is advisable to buy extended warranty on my 2006 750m LI. It has only 30000 miles and I do not drive that much. So can you let me know if I should consider buying the warranty or just take a chance. This is my first BMW. So I do not know if these cars are reliable. I would appreciate if you can let me know.
    Thanks,
    Kareem
  • hotelguyhotelguy Member Posts: 2
    I am curious as to whether BMW fixed these problems. I am having the exact same issues with a 2008. Local dealer saying all is normal. Everyone in family who drives the car thinks it drives like an overweight minivan. That hurts.
  • hotelguyhotelguy Member Posts: 2
    Was this resolved and if so, how?
  • rviradiarviradia Member Posts: 44
    Buy the warranty, as the owner of a 2001 e39 540, I have many less gizmos then the new bimmers and stuff still breaks, I didn't get the warranty but got luckly as nothing big happened for 3 years as I worked from home and only put on 5000 miles per year. If and when I buy again, I will get CPO for sure.

I have a friend who has a 2003 330i, a car you would think that would have zero problems, but he passed on the warranty and ended up spending $3k out of pocket this year, and he only drives 8K miles per year and the car has only 40k miles.
  • nutsaboutcarsnutsaboutcars Member Posts: 11
    I leased a 2007 bmw 7 series in aug of 07 and thank god it goes back next aug,,This car has been a nightmare,,Instead of building cars that you can surf the internet in,,Bmw needs to build cars with quality and reliability like for instance electronics that actually work and continue to work and the mecanics of the car with out problems,,,My 7 series is babied and always gets high quality fuel and gets maintence when needed,,Problems Iam having is faulty suspension that makes this 93.000.00 dollar automobile ride like a beat up old chevy and electronics that sometimes work and dont work,,My dealer says they have to see the problem before they can fix it and than they say the car is operating normally and bmw usa themselves dont want to know nothing from nothing,,,I should of leased the lexus,,,
    I am so discouraged that BMW cannot square away this *great* automobile. The theory that complexity leads by definition to unreliability seems to have been disproven by Lexus, the latter also replete with many forms of gadgetry (even parking itself).

I just can't understand it--this 7 series has been around a long time. Seems like the X5 has similar headaches.

Maybe they need to start with a completely clean sheet of paper on this model.

Or maybe the dealer network is just not up to the task? But if that's the case, do Lexus dealers pay more for talent?
  • wabendswabends Member Posts: 102
    Hi all,
    I am negotiating the price of a 2007 750Li Individual with 24K miles. It has all orions except for AC in the seat. Asking price is $59K. Any suggestions about ball park to aim for?

Thanks.
    A private party sale? His price is way high. I'm not sure you can even negotiate at that asking price. I think around $48K--$50K for a beautiful low mileage example from a private party is more than fair, perhaps even generous, and perhaps one could justify a few thousand more for a CPO car with extended warranty from a dealer.
    It is too high a price for that model. I bought mine with the same milage for 42000$ and every option in it works like a charm. The price is so high that you may not have any room to negotiate. So good luck, If interested I can give you the name of the dealer I bought it from and he is in Dallas. I have recommended some of my friends and they are very happy with the deals. He is private seller who finds these high end cars and checks them out before he buys.
    Thanks for your response. Can I get it for $50K even with Individual Composition? I understand that option was $11K new. Also, this is from a dealership so the price includes CPO which will end in April 2013. Any thoughts about what to shoot for?
    The specs are as follows:

Convenience package
    Comfort access
    Cold weather package
    Luxury seating package
    Night vision
    Individual composition
    Rear entertainment package
    Premium sound package
    CPO

Did you all of these for $42K?
    I think 45000 will be tops. If you can get this for this price it will be good deal.
    Good luck
    I'm thinkin' $47.5, something like that.

These are hard times and that car is not easy to sell.
    Car was delivered from dealership yesterday to our home yesterday. Looks great, especially the Jet Black exterior over Platinum interior with piano black trim and rear entertainment package, night vision etc. Think it has every available option except for seat massage.

The "BMW Individual" door sill is especially exclusive and I also got the CPO with extended maintenance because replacing a brake pad and/or the 20" performance tires will cost more than what I paid for 5 years coverage.

Thanks for your input.
    hey you mentioned
    " I also got the CPO with extended maintenance because replacing a brake pad and/or the 20" performance tires will cost more than what I paid for 5 years coverage. "

I can understand the brake job covered.. how can tires be covered.. thats impossible.
    tires are normal wear and tear..?
    With the 20" performance tire (run flat), the rim costs about $1000 each and that is fully covered under the maintenance package.

It is just a sound investment for my peace of mind.
    By the way, the maintenance package is different from the CPO.
    With the 20" performance tire (run flat), the rim costs about $1000 each and that is fully covered under the maintenance package.

ok so if I understand this correctly, u r saying that if u have a flat and u keep driving and the rim gets damaged then they will cover the replacement which can cost 1000

hmm, I dont have too much experience with run flats. but does this occur frequently .. i doubt ? first of all getting the flat. and second. keep driving the car. till it is damaged
  • sethjisethji Member Posts: 1
    getting 2008 750i with Sport, luxury seating package, 7500 miles for $ 54,900. http://www.tischerbmw.net/used-cars/2008-BMW-7-Series-4dr-Sdn-750i-v170839.aspx

Is this a good price? Is there any room to negotiate?

thanks
This discussion has been closed.