Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 7-Series 2007+

Comments

• anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    does anyone have the stretched seven and do you think it worthwhile? Tony
  • draqdraq Member Posts: 18
    That's a good question Anthonyp, well, if you have a family and/or always driving people around, then yes, its a good idea to have a long base. However, the short base is not small and you can fit 3 tall men back there. Also in terms of looks, only a knowledgeable BMW person can tell the difference.

AQ
    Thanks.....How about the sports suspension?? Most of the time It`s just me, and I have also only test driven a sports suspension..To me it felt fine, but after a while I wonder it it is a bit too firm? Tony
    Well, I don't have a sport suspension on mine because if you buy a 7er you are looking for luxury, comfort and a smooth ride. It's a luxury car its not a sport car even though this baby can move, that doesn't mean you treat it like one. If you want my advice, leave the sport suspension behind. I also read in other forums that many people were not happy with it after a while. So just get the 750i with 19' wheels and a normal suspension, I am sure you will be happy.

AQ
    Again thanks...I hope to make some progress tomorrow...Are you sue about the 10 in wheels? t
  • globusglobus Member Posts: 2
    The newest Avatar of the 7 is by far the best.
    Bmw handling and engine combined with a Lexus-sy quiet ride and ergonomics.
    Monaco Blue/Beige (750 il)
    19 wheels
    Luxury package
    Convenience pk
    Sunshades
    Pro logic(Just rocks with sirius)
    I Drive is easy and futuristic( next s 500)
    Sumptuous interior.
    Unbelievable handling and acceleration for a car this big.
    Those of you thinking of getting a blue color consider the fact that monaco blue is extremely dark(almost black) I think the michigan blue is kinda pretty.
    Get the 7 and you will be in love too!!
    Spent the morning at the dealership It sure is hard to get a reasonable discount...Nice people, but still could use some help on what would a discount that was fair (to me) Tony ps think the shorter wheelbase would be best of me..
  • jmed3jmed3 Member Posts: 17
    Glad to see this message board has been taking off. Been driving my 750Li for the past summer and its been great. Still makes me feel privledged and puts a smirk on my face. Can't tell you how many people are into it and how it turns so many heads. It's pretty hard to keep a low profile in this ride. The 7 is definitely a crowd pleaser and, more importantly, a driver pleaser. All of a sudden, long car drives are sought and welcomed. Oh yeah just started using the steering wheel gear switches/paddles.. Wow it's like being a formula one racer.
  • wood3wood3 Member Posts: 1
    can you let me know where you purchased from? The best I've been able to do is 2k. Also, if you happened to lease, do you know what your money factor is? Thanks. david@underwood.net
  • dave_car_guydave_car_guy Member Posts: 1
    Just found this forum in the hopes I might find others with a similar problem as mine.

My new 2006 750Li has what can only be described as a valve rattle at certain speeds/loads after it gets warmed up. I took it in to the dealer and they kept it for 3 days and said they couldn't hear anything. The engine scoped out properly and they said they ran a low-octane fuel test and that the car had less than 90 octane in it which could create the noise I was hearing (although they couldn't re-create it). After returning the car to us to try again and ensure we put in 90+ octane super (which we generally had), the dealer called to say the BMW tech central (or whatever they're called) mentioned that they may have heard similar stories from other owners. The dealer isn't sure what to think since they haven't sold too many nor had too many come back with any problem.

More descriptive: the knock occurs at various times. I can duplicate it now... hot, running at low rpm at around 20 mph I press the accelerator and I get a knock/rattle and it gets worse if I let off and press again, like the engine can't react fast enough to the change in inputs. Sometimes it also acts up at idle...a few neighbors have stopped my wife to chat about the car and they say "what's that noise?"..so it's not our imagination (besides, I know cars and this one sounds wrong). Also, my wife says that it sometimes doesn't seem to have full power when she "gets on it", again especially when warm. This part I haven't experienced, although I have sometimes felt it to be underpowered which makes no sense for this car (however, I am accustomed to my cars which are a Porsche Carrera and a Ferrari 355)

So my question is this: anyone else have such an issue?

By the way, we love most all else about the car. very roomy, comfortable, great handling, and beautiful. No real complaints on the infamous I-drive once you get used to it (plus, radio and temp controls are also on the dash without always needing the I-drive) We have all the extras including the rear seat luxury package (reclining /heated/ cooled), comfort pkg, rear seat entertainment, etc.

For those hoping for discounts, I have no good news. We paid sticker in July (but no further crazy "mark-up"), BTW, the car was not on the lot...we had to have them track one down in the system (it was on a boat but not yet sold or accounted for). It is Sterling Grey with Black interior.
  • dukebballfandukebballfan Member Posts: 2
    Love my car and despite all the hoopla over the i-drive think it is terrific. I acquired the car in June and am ready to make my 3rd trip back to the dealer. First problem occurred the day I picked my car up from the dealer and it stalled at low speeds 3 times the first day. Next 2 issues have been -- I often get transmission failsafe error messages when I start the car and proceed to drive. I can usually clear this problem by restarting the car (a pain but ok). On 2 occasions it has gotten stuck in transmission failsafe mode and can only drive in 3rd and 5th gear. The shop reprogrammed and thought they fix the problem a month ago and it happened to me again last night. I tried restarting several times and didn't fix the problem. It did work this morning but now I have a service engine soon message. Also, read an earlier message -- I also have engine rattle and perceived lack of power at certain times -- I am also having that checked out. Love the car and am holding my breath that these problems can be resolved -- otherwise my wife is going to tell me that I should have bought the S-Class car that she liked better! Any others encounter the transmission failsafe problem???
    I've had a problem with my steering wheel alignment since I got the car. I'll being bringing in the car for service this week and hope it'll easily be fixed (I had another new BMW with same problem from factory and it was fixed easily through dealer). Does the factory not pay attention to stuff like this? Are these cars even test driven before delivery? Thinks that make you go hmmmmm.. Also my rear window molding was loose (falling off) from car inception and hopefully will get fixed. Somewhat annoying that a new car would have these little faults.. Or is it that I'm just a stickler for the details??? Hmmmmm. I bet Lexus has less of these nuisances in there new cars. The Germans still have a quality issue. I owned a Lexus in the past and never found problems despite my constant probing. Well at least Bimmers have a better quality reputation than Merc Benz (AKA Merc Chyrsler Corp).
    Now that felt good. "The truth shall set us free"
    Just a follow up. The dealer fixed the minor issues and it's nice to have the car back. It's truly a pleasure to drive it. Still impressed by its power, handling and luxury accomodations. Its great to have the baby back home...
  • enemeneminemoenemeneminemo Member Posts: 6
    hi there
    I live in LA and was wondering where you bought your bmw.
    Did you employ the edmunds.com tactics with the dealer.I am sure though bmw dealers are less likely to negotiate. Are you leasing or buying. Was the price you quoted inclusive of tax and all the extra fees.

At your convenience

thanks
  • enemeneminemoenemeneminemo Member Posts: 6
    I am interested in leasing a 750 Li BMW and was wondering if anyone had any advice on leasing.
    I am assuming you save more money in the long run the more you put down at closing...is this true?

Also is it more beneficial to lease for certain periods of time over others?

Has anyone had luck negotiating on price when leasing? What about if you want to add certain packages to the vehicle?

Does anyone know of any leasing specials on this particular car?

Are leases more negotiable the more miles on the car or the older the car or possibly later on in the calender year?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated...
    thanks a ton
  • woodwrkr2woodwrkr2 Member Posts: 8
    Overall the car still impresses me but I have had my share of 'issues' as well.

First was about 2 months after receiving it. I had just filled the tank and my gas gauge showed 3/4. Next morning my gauge showed empty and continued all day. Turns out the fuel sensors were bad and had to be replaced. Two service visits, one to diagnose the problem, the other to fix it.

Second was the car wasn't readily detecting my Verizon V710 bluetooth phone. It was a sporadic problem. Sometimes it was immediate and other times it went a full day without detecting it's presence. Took it into BMW and they couldn't detect a problem. (3rd service visit)

Third episode (4th service visit)involved taking it for multiple issues. A very intermittent creaking in the dashboard, an erratic oil level gauge, and continuing phone detection issues. Let my cell phone there all day. Result of this 4th service visit was an adjustment to the dash pad and no problems found with either the oil level sensor or phone system. Dashboard squeaks or rattles as much, if not more, than ever. Worse when the car is cold. Oil level issue hasn't reoccured, phone system seems more reliable.

Currently have an appointment (5th) to bring my car in Dec 12th to have a BMW factory service representative inspect the car for the dashboard noise. Some days it barely makes a sound and then other days, like Thanksgiving Day, it makes you feel like you bought a used and abused car. Just turned over 4,000 miles today after 6 months of ownership.

Finally, as regards to the OEM tires, they're terrible. First snowfall, one inch, and I felt like the car was on ice skates. Came with Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires, 245/50R-18. Worst handling I've ever experienced on a car, BAR NONE. I had specifically discussed my concerns about the tires before I ordered the car and was assured the OEM tires would be just fine in winter driving. I had a terrible experience with my 2001 BMW 740Il but this is worse yet. Don't even have the sports package so that's not a factor. As ridiculous as it sounds, I was forced to buy 4 new tires and wheels to the tune of almost $1,800 to keep this from being a 7-8 month vehicle. At $80,000 plus you'd think they could put on decent tires. If you doubt my evaluation check out the feedback on these OEM tires on Tirerack.com They ranked 28th out of 30 in their category.

Last, does anyone know where to get brake dust covers for my OEM 18" wheels? That brake dust issue is annoying as heck.
    I too may be going down the same path with regards to the tires...I asked about the tires and with their wide width what about snow and hydroplaning at the BMW dealer...I then ended up getting a different brand car, as my closing experience got messed up,.... but the one I got has the wide treaded tire(perelli)I think...My previous car ,Lexus, was terrible in a tiny amount of snow, so it therefore really is the tire and they should be `snow tires`..My wife`s 530xi has had to go back for a resetting of the computer one time so far, and I suspect it may go back again--as many owners seem to have this problem on occasion....Hope the other anoyances get solves in short order...Tony
    Thank you 750li owner for your help. I got a white 750i with luxuary seats, confort access, premium sound, convenience package and 19" wheels. cream beige leather light high gloss wood trim interior.
    It been a week now and no production number yet!!! I don't know why it take that long??
    Is it worth the wait?? are you happy with it?
    Thanks again
  • spuronspuron Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found a solution to my having to be within 3' of the garage door to have the rear view mirror button open the door? Have extended 18ga un-insulated wire to outside and above door from garage receiver, tried programming other mirror buttons, and find none of this helps. Have hand held unit which works from inside car console at 55-60 feet! Is it just a weak BMW mirror transmitter? Any one have similar problems and a solution? Please help. Frustrated I am!--- Spuron. :confuse:
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Must be car-specific. My 530 buttons work as I enter the driveway 50 feet from the door!
  • tallmanstallmans Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a 2006 750LI
    Luxury seating
    convenience pckg
    comfort access
    premium sound
    satellite radio
    sunshades
    19 inch wheels
    Heated steering wheel
    36 month lease
    15K miles/year
    $5000 down $1270/month

I negotiated $4500 off msrp, however a different dealership offered to pay my first months payment after I signed my deal.
  • etysonetyson Member Posts: 3
    I received my 2006 750Li in May.
    I have a little over 9000 miles already.
    I am concerned about the recommended oil changes.
    I am thinking about paying for a oil change before my free oil change. Any thoughts?

This car has been a dream so far.
  • bimmerbearbimmerbear Member Posts: 1
    Probably same rattle problem. Took delivery Aug 05 for this 06 750i. It occurs at all times, warm or cold, and at close to 1000 rpm, 25 mph when I feather the throttle lightly going up a gentle slope. That speed/rpm combination indicates it's on 4th gear. The xmission seems to have selected a gear too high for that speed causing the engine to labor, and hence the rattle noise. Have yours been fixed?
  • juanpajuanpa Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a 2006 750LI
    Luxury seating
    convenience pckg
    comfort access
    premium sound
    satellite radio
    sunshades
    19 inch wheels
    Entertainment System (DVD)
    36 month lease
    12K miles/year
    MSRP $83,430 brought down to around $78K
    $2980 down $1150/month Tax included
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I would appreciate advice from owners of 750s models.

I try to be thrifty, but am averaging 35,000 miles per year in southern CA, so am considering a 750i with the 20-way "luxury seating" seats, Sirius satelite radio, and upgraded sound system, with the light blue exterior and blue interior.

How are the seats? What about the 20-way seats?

What about quality? I read some mixed comments above regarding quality. My brothers 530 engine blew up and the front suspension had to be rebuilt three times, and all of that in far under 100,000 miles, so I am cautious, especially before writing a check for $70-some thousand dollars.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I saw a number of 750 models in my travels today, but thought more about the price and the complexity, the more I realized I just could not make my hand move to write that check. I also briefly considered the Lexus LS, but the bland interior changed my mind even faster.
  • brewsterbeemerbrewsterbeemer Member Posts: 2
    check with your dealer. its a computer upgrade!!! i just had mine done ant the rattle is gone. it was a fuel injection issue, i believe and i reported it in aug. o5 when i got the car. upgrade became available end of jan early feb. also helps exceleration
  • brewsterbeemerbrewsterbeemer Member Posts: 2
    my last car was a 545it wagon. woke up every morning excited to go driving. except for a rattle in the doors, which i should have complained about, it was a great driving experience.

but i was getting bored!

tired of wagons i looked at all the high end lux cars on the market that made sense. with everything alacarte on the mercedes s class and the lack of performance, i didnt like the old man feel. the lexus ls is one of the ugliest cars i have ever seen and it shares the weighty boat like drive of the infiniti. the audi a8 was the only real competion but the 06 was not available yet and my dealer made me such a great offer, i couldnt resist.
    so last august, my sterling grey 750i arrived off a boat in the carolinas and i have been hooked since. it is a sexy beast. one problem with an engine rattle that was recently fixed with a computer upgrade and the car is perfect.
    my dealer and the dealership have been great. he gave me the best price when i had looked at 3 or 4 other dealers and they have been nothing but responsive to any concern or problem that has come up. i use bmw of manhattan which is bmw owned and that may be why it works so well.
    i highly recommend this car to anyone interested in power performance and luxury
  • shaungshaung Member Posts: 1
    Is garbage, I hope this is not the real car in the pictures. The back looks horrible. Why change something thats not broke, sales are oviously up, who cares about BMW enthusiasts? I fell in love with the 745 in 2001, the change now (750) is okay.

Point blank, If it is soooo ugly and offending, why are sales through the roof? Stop it, you can't argue facts. "Offensive" is IN, "different" is IN, lets grow up, changes. This would be a stupid move from BMW. The 7 series sold so well Mercades based their whole next fleet off of it (new 2007 s class), come on!

Keep it up, Im trashing the BMW for the Night vision on the Mercedes,good day.
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    If you are doing more city mileage and shorter trips, an extra oil change won't hurt at all. For added efficiency, I suggest you also hve the oil filter changed.

A good idea anyway imho.
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    I also like the 2002-2005 model, while I feel the 2005 Front lights face-lift was not necessary and decreased the eyebrow full of character impression.

The rear face lift was welcome as it simplified a complex setup.

I still love the E38 1999-2001 which is made of classic and discreet simplicity. I have a 740i and I can't help spending a few seconds looking at it before driving it.

Very surprised MB blatantly copied the 7 dash arrangement. I would have expected something different.
  • mph100mph100 Member Posts: 3
    When can you order a 2007 750LI? I heard the competition from MB and Lexus is going to cause early release of 2007 7 series, and that the 2007 will have some enhanced features (night vision). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • petrescupetrescu Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 750i 2006 last August and have by now 14,000 miles. No problem to date, the car is wonderful. It came with the sport tires, luxury seats, premium sound, satellite radio, convenience package, self close doors/trunk. The Pirelli tires are superb, even in the Maryland winter. The car delivers excellent driving, braking, accelleration. You are always in control. I have also a Lexus LS430 2002, but the Bimmer is a much better car. Not to forget the extraordinary quality of the interior and exterior. I ordered mine to my spec, and waited 2.5 months, yet it was worth. The one big desapointment is the GPS, which is small, very much user unfriendly and time consuming to program. BMW must do something about this feature, which, ironically, they invented. The Bluetooth works very well with the Motorola Razr, and the garage door remote has power and no problems.
    Go for it without hesitation.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since the Future version of this vehicle is a 2007 model, I've change the title of this discussion to 2007 BMW 750i/750li.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• beimerdudebeimerdude Member Posts: 3
    I took delivery of my 2006 BMW 750i in December 05. Great car, wonderful driving experience, fast, head turner, and very sporty with razor sharp steering. Every time before I drive this babe I pause to admire its beauty. ;)

Anyhow, I had the engine rattle problem as well. At first I didn't notice it as much but one time, with music off, windows open and driving on an empty quiet road, I could hear the rattle, specifically when accelerating at low RPM's at low speeds, might get worse when you select the S sports mode transmission program. Took it to the dealer, apparently seemed to have fixed the problem with a computer upgrade. After they have serviced the car, I didn't hear the rattle noise and the acceleration was better, but I noticed a different feel from the steering. In the work order sheet they stated to have reset the steering angle, any input on that? :confuse:

Nonetheless, now I am starting to hear the rattle sound again, though less frequently and not as intense as before. Very unfortunate, given how much I love this car, but I will be taking it to the dealership soon for further analysis and hopefully they will get rid of that annoying rattle noise and sensation for good! :shades:
  • beimerdudebeimerdude Member Posts: 3
    Mine has the sport package. With the sport package, the car sport tuned suspension is stiffened and the shock absorbers are tight, and the car is lowered a little. The ride is not and won't be as smooth as let's say a town car, but with the sport package, steering is very precise and is razor sharp, feels like a true BMW. Without the sport package, the steering is a little bit loose and doesn't have that feeling that you get from the sport package. You also don't get the ugly chrome body molding instead you get a high gloss black and body colored contour instead. Not to forget the nice 19'' alloy rims.
    Must be in a time warp....To make a long story short, I went to pick the car up and due to the manager not confirming the car, the selling dealer wouldn`t let him have it....I let thing cool off, and went to the new audi dealer and ultimately ordered an a8, which I am very pleased with....Foe me things worked out in the end and I have no regrets...I hope the same is with you.... Tony
  • snobbersnobber Member Posts: 1
    The sports package gives you a true BMW ride and handling. Does anyone experience a significant drop in power once the A/C is engaged? I notice a big difference between A/C on and A/C off. I have the 2006 750Li.
  • armishenarmishen Member Posts: 2
    When can one order the 2007 750LI??
    Thanks
  • armishenarmishen Member Posts: 2
    When can one order the 2007 750LI.
    I should have added 'For European Delivery Program'
  • acbrbmwacbrbmw Member Posts: 19
    the 2007 will be avalible in late sept. and you will be able to order the car aug 1st and everything is the same as the 2006 except that there will be an aux. input for you ipod or mp3. also, there will be an option for night vision for 2k, i've seen it and its great!

the redesign will not be comming till 2009
  • q_krielq_kriel Member Posts: 2
    Did you get the rattle issue resolved. I also have this i took the car in once and they said it required a software upgrade, after this is was better or at least i thought so. I feel a very "rough" sensation in the steering wheel as well as the accelerator. It is very annoying and ruins the experience, i also have a X3 and i have to say it is smoother no vibration/sensation.

Let me know if you got it resolved, as i want to take mine in again
  • bybasher1bybasher1 Member Posts: 2
    I am also having the same problem with the rough idle. I purchased the 2006 750li in May of 05' since then it has been back to the dealership numerous times for computer upgrades that do not fix the problem. If anyone out there has had their problem resolved please let me know how. I have already had 2 BMW engineers look at the car and they are saying that it needs a computer upgrade but its already been done and no luck. I have put in a phone call to BMW Corp. as I am very frustrated and seem to be getting nowhere.
  • bybasher1bybasher1 Member Posts: 2
    has the exceleration problem re-occured?????? Have you had any issues with a rough idle?????
  • lexus460llexus460l Member Posts: 51
    I got my 750Li this Feb. and its a great ride, so fast and smooth. Copmared to my other new lexus, its so much faster. The acceleration is fast. Not very much noise with the door sealed up.
  • ageorgeageorge Member Posts: 9
    I was planning on buying an A8, 750 or a new S class. I was very surprised that the Audi puts 4 times the pollution into the enviornent. While these cars use more gas the Audi seems to be very environmentally unfriendly I'm going with one of the others. Not sure which.
  • bigjattbigjatt Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 750Li and have ahd a "vibration" in the vehicle since I took delivery last September. After several visits to the dealer they replaced all tires but the problem is still there. They refuse to do anything else so I am working with BMW corporate to see if they can help. Essentially the problem is there is a constant vibration felt in the wheel, the seat and my body feels its sitting on one of those cheap motel vibrating beds. The vibration increases with speed and is max at around 68 - 70mph. Does any one else have this problem or a fix? :lemon:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    My first instinct would be to check the driveshaft and have it removed and checked for balance....and at the same time, the car can be run without the driveshaft to see if the vibration is still there at "rest" with engine revving.

If the vibration occurs at "rest" with engine revving, then you have perhaps some accessory vibrating, like power steering pump or AC compressor.

If there's no vibration at rest, and the driveshaft checks out okay, then HMMMMMMMM.....I'd check rear tire and wheel balance....maybe even check rear tires and wheels first. They could even test the car on a lift with and without the rear wheels on.
  • bigjattbigjatt Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. I have a rendevouz with the BMW corporate Rep tomorrow. I'll post what they say. If nothing comes of it, I will pursue the Lemon Law. I have already retained an attorney for the purpose.

The dealer VOB just plain sucks! Another exapmple of their incompetence is they drove my other BMW into a wall while working on it! Unfortunately they are the only dealer around this area. This is my 4th 7 series and I have a 330 CI and a 645 Ci. Never had this kind of problem before!

BTW, ALL, the tires have already been replaced, twice, by the dealer! they claimed the first set they installed were also defective!

Bigjatt
    :lemon:
  • mmxdocmmxdoc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 740iL which has always vibrated. I've driven the dealership in town and local tire places crazy trying to fix it with no success. I also have a new 2006 750 Li now that is vibrating in addition to a rough idle when cold which they say requires a software upgrade that is not yet available. It also sounds like a diesel at times even when warm. They told me today that the rough idle is necessary for the fuel efficiency. I also have a 645Ci which has no problems and a friend who just got a 2006 650Ci which I believe has the same engine as my 750Li and he has no problems of a similar nature. I'm becoming frustrated. The service advisors seem to know less than I do. Any suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.