Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• hamfirehamfire Member Posts: 2
    Was a loyal ford customer until my third ford vehicle, which was a lemon in my opinion. Ford customer service is horrible, they don't stand behind their product. Instead of wasting time going into arbitration, got rid of my Ford, traded it in towards a 03 tundra limited with most of the ammenities. I wasted time & money and tortured myself driving a Ford. The Tundra is awsome, drives like a luxury car. So many die hard domestic fans out there - they should really open their minds and check out a tundra for themselves. So so happy with it.
  • bdorffbdorff Member Posts: 2
    ive had my tundra since mid Aug. bought it to put toyota's reliability to the test! im a courier so i needed something reliable. had i had my rathers id be driving a 450 vice a tundra. any way i believe ive got the better deal for the money that im making.
     so far i have 28k on it and as yet have no break downs
     anyway the truck is a bit small for me when ive been in it all day.
     on other boards that ive been to and looked at have noticed other owners complaining about their brakes. so far i havent touched my brakes or had any problems with the brakes. one other courier also has a tundra i heard that he had to have his brakes replaced at 10,000 miles. must be driving like its a race car.
  • sevrianosevriano Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 03 Tundra 3 months and 3000 miles.Just drove it through 2 feet of snow in the last week here in New England.What a great ride.This truck is awesome.Looks rugged yet it rides and responds real smooth.I have the limited with electric rear window, heated side mirrors and steering wheel radio controls which are all great features.Just installed compass/temperature rear view mirror with night auto dimming.This Tundra is a real joy to drive not like my old Ford4X4 which drove like a tank.Anyone considering a Tundra out there should go for it!You will be satisfied.
  • avalon02whavalon02wh Member Posts: 785
    It appears as if Toyota is not sure what the EPA gas mileage numbers should be for the Tundra. I am interested in buying a Tundra or Tacoma in the next 6 months or so. It would be nice if Toyota could nail down the numbers a bit better. Here are the numbers:

V6 AC 4x2 V8 DC 4x4

8/1/04 web site 18/25 17/22?

9/1/04 web site 16/20 15/18

9/15/04 press release 18/22 14/17

Sticker ? 15/18

All numbers are with automatic. The 9/15 press release shows the V6 as having a 4 spd transmission. It comes with a 5 spd auto. Some dealer web sites carries the 8/1/04 numbers back in August. I have not checked to see what they are posting now.

I also did a comparison between the V6 in the Tundra and Tacoma using the press release specifications.

Tundra Tacoma

size 4.0L 4.0L

displacement 3956 3956

horsepower 245 245 both @ 5400 rpm

torque 282 282 both @ 3800 rpm

compression ratio 10.1 10.1

recommended fuel 87 91

emissions LEV LEV-II

Looks to me that the engines are the same. With identical hp, torque, and compression you would think the motors would use the same fuel. anyone from Toyota want to explain the change in MPG nunbers or why the two engines need different fuel?

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display.html?kw=MY05+Tu- ndra+specs
  • nwfootballa23nwfootballa23 Member Posts: 14
    i am 17 and i am thinking about purchasing a used tundra extended cab i just wondered what yall think of yours
  • sarniastingsarniasting Member Posts: 31
    Four months ago I traded my 2004 XLE Sienna in for a 2004 Dual Cab LTD Tundra. So far no regrets. It has run well and is better then my expectations for ride and handling. The biggest adjustment after the Sienna was the wide turning ratio. The Sienna probable has the best urning ratio of any van and most cars so it has been an adjustment. So far I have no negative comments other then those V8's sure can guzzel up the gas. Good luck in whatever you decide as you cannot go wrong in buying the Tundra.
  • texastonytexastony Member Posts: 4
    I've got one, but bought it when it was the only size out there (2000). If I was to buy now, I'd get the new one with full size for passengers in the back.
  • dmarty1dmarty1 Member Posts: 11
    so what does the v8 get for milage in the real world
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A newspaper reporter would like to interview owners of big pick-up trucks with large cabs that they primarily use for family transportation. If you fit what the reporter is looking for and you are interested in being interviewed, please send a brief description of yourself and your vehicle with your daytime contact information to Kirsten Holguin at kholguin@edmunds.com by 9am Pacific, Friday, February 4.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• river7river7 Member Posts: 17
    I currently have a 2001 Tundra V8 and it is fine when it isn't in the shop. If I ever buy something new I am done with Toyota after driving Toyotas for 20+years. Started with an 84 Supra, to an 88' Pickup, 98 Tacoma, to 01' Tundra.

Sick of paying a premium for a false idea about the current Toyotas being bullet-proof and exponentially more reliable than other vehicles. Without Lexus Toyota is 9th in quality behind Chevy, Caddy and Buick........CHEVY !!!!

$1100 for brakes, $600+ for exhaust manifold, seatbelt issues, etc. Being $close to $2000 deep in out of pocket repairs after paying a premium for a Toyota is BS and the thing that is driving me away is their attitude. Flaws are acceptable their customer service is non-existent, frankly they suck.

Too bad, the new Tacoma looks pretty nice but I just can't do it knowing they don't stand behind their designs and product, so why pay a premium.

R
  • coastie1coastie1 Member Posts: 20
    I am looking at puurchasing a 2005 Tundra access cab. This is my 1st Toyota truck purchase. Are ther any major issues/things to be aware of. I always have a f-150. I dod not know if I should switch or not. Thanks for any imput
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A newspaper reporter would like to interview owners of big pick-up trucks with large cabs that they primarily use for family transportation. If you fit what the reporter is looking for and you are interested in being interviewed, please send a brief description of yourself and your vehicle with your daytime contact information to Kirsten Holguin at kholguin@edmunds.com by 9am Pacific, Monday, February 7.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• coastie1coastie1 Member Posts: 20
    I am going to purchase a vehicle in the next 2 weeks, I have decided between the Tacoma Double-cab 4WD, and the Tundra Access Cab 4wd. both are somewhat equal in price.. any suggestions?? Thanks for the input
  • rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    Biggest question is probably cab room. If you plan on having anything other than small children or a dog riding in the rear seats, you're better off with the double cab. If that's not an issue, test drive them both extensively to see which one you feel rides better, feels more comfortable to you.
  • wolf6151wolf6151 Member Posts: 3
    I'm going to buy a slightly used Tundra Double Cab in about a month and have a question regarding the tow package. If I see a truck with a receiver hitch, is there any way to tell if this truck is equipped with the tow package (radiator cooler and 130 alternator) or if it was added after market by a previous owner? Can you tell by the VIN or any other method? I want the full tow package and not a truck that just had the receiver hitch added as after market. Thanks.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Toyota really messed up when they removed the standard cooler. This only applies to 03 and up.
  • oagroagr Member Posts: 2
    Hey all, I've got a 2005 Dbl Cab SR5 4x4. I love off-roading with it, I've got a great pic of me pulling my friends jeep out of the mud... however, that mud trip required a trip to the dealership.

Beware, that alternator is mounted down low, protected by the skid plate, but not from any mud that may get splashed up there and right into the brushes... note to self, mud makes a better insulator than conductor!
  • tundra04ltdtundra04ltd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Doublecab...and using regular unleaded I have only gotten over 15MPG on highway once...usually is down around 14 for highway/city mix. But I have heard of others who consistently get around 18MPG highway. Anyone have any suggestions to increase MPG?
  • dano100dano100 Member Posts: 22
    The Tundra has a much better ride. The gas mileage will be close between the 2. I had a 2000 Access Cab and moved up to an '04 Dbl. Cab and just love it. No problems whatsoever with either of these trucks. I put 60,000 miles on the 2000 and have 10,000 miles on the '04. I just changed the oil every 5,000 miles and rotated the tires. New brakes and tires @ 45,000 on the Access cab, that is it!
  • cheez22cheez22 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I just won a brand new '05 SR5 4X4 Double Cab from the ESPN 25/Gatorade sweepstakes. It is silver in color with foglights, electric rear window, bed rail caps, cloth interior, and moonroof. I need to sell it. I already looked at it yesterday. I pick it up in about 3 days. If anyone is interested or needs more info, email me at cheezbean@yahoo.com. I am in New Orleans, LA.
    Again, this is BRAND NEW. I'm just driving it home.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Most manufacturers put a label in the glove box - on this label will be all the option codes that were installed on the vehicle when it was built.

Toyota uses the code "TO" to indicate tow package.
  • rick13rick13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 tundra and it gets 13 to 16 city depending on weather
  • wcjacksonwcjackson Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a Dcab sr5 4x4.

Interested in the MAAP Challenger running boards that Toyota sells as an accessory.

Anyone have these? How do they look? Other info?

Thnx
  • idahoronidahoron Member Posts: 18
    I just got a 05 DC 4X4 TRD. I am getting 15 just running around, and 18 on the interstate. Ron
  • dmoreldmorel Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased an '05 Tundra SR5 DC and had the dealer throw in the running boards that you mention. Very sturdy and look real nice. Can send you a pic if you provide an email address.
  • dmoreldmorel Member Posts: 3
    What's your secret? I think you're the 1st I've heard of getting 18 mpg.
  • idahoronidahoron Member Posts: 18
    I just put in the premium grade gas and went out and got on the highway. I set the cruse on 75 and drove just over 150 miles. I stopped and got gas. No secret, but the city driving I got 15. I drove out a half a tank of premium and filled it with premium. Ron
  • wcjacksonwcjackson Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I'd like to see some pics of the running boards. You can send to wcjackson@hotmail.com

thnx
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I did not think the Tundra required premium - does the owner manual say to use premium?

If it is not designed to run on premium - using it does not improve MPG - or increase power - the only thing it does is cost you $.20 more per gallon.
  • redgreenyellowredgreenyellow Member Posts: 1
    I am planning on purchasing a 4 door pickup and I am looking at the Toyota Tundra, Ford F-150, or Chevy Silverado.
    Does anyone have any helpful information about the 4 door Toyota Tundra?
    We have a 1989 Toyota pickup that has almost 250,000. We have never had any trouble with it, but it is just not big enough for our family. I just usually drive it to/from work.
    We have 2 young children and an looking for something big enough for the 4 of us, with plenty of leg room. My husband is pushing for a Toyota Sienna van, but I really want a 4 door pickup.

Just looking for some helpful information about the 4 door Toyota Tundra.
  • sarniastingsarniasting Member Posts: 31
    I just recently traded my 2004 Sienna for a four door dual cab Tundra. My main reason for the trade was the tires on the Sienna, which were the worst tires I have ever owned, Bridgstone Turenzas, 17". Only 24000 Km. and were worn out, also the poorest traction tires, I beleive Tirerack rates them 30th out of 32. Could not find a suitable replacement as very few tire manufacturers made the tire size required. I understand their maybe some more available now. Yes I would buy a Sienna again, once the tire manufactures catch on the demand for the tire size. I like my dual cab Tundra and since we have a cottage and a boat the cargo bed for carrying things is appreciated. I rarely used the third row seats in the Sienna and they were folded down most of time. I have a six foot 15 year old and he thinks there is more room in the back seats of the Tundra then what was in the Sienna. Since the Tundra is a v8 it sure uses a lot more gas, but I expected that. The traction was very good considering the terrable tires but the AWD on the Tundra has been a blessing with this past winter. Cosmectically the Sienna's interior is much more modern and appealing as the Tundra needs to be brought up to date ie. automatic climate control, electrophonic and dimming mirrors, gated gear shift intregrated into the centre consal, auto up and down window etc. If you need seating for more then five the Sienna is the way to go. It comes down to personal requirements. Test drive both and this may help make your mind up as the Sienna in my opinion has made great strides in the mini van segment and is a great vehicle. You cannot go wrong with either the Sienna or the dual cab Tundra. Hope this helps in some way.
  • surfdogsurfdog Member Posts: 2
    Hello I am searching for an 05 Tundra Access Cab 4X4 Limited.The dealer here in Northern Calif. says they are not available.Not made. All the on line & print literature shows it as an option.I want the leather seats etc, & dont want a double.
    Anyone know if there is another state that has em?
  • hvanhvan Member Posts: 56
    There's plenty of 05 Tundra Access Cab 4X4 in Southern California. You may want to look up Longo Toyota (the largest Toyota dealer in the nation). They are in LA.

Ok, do I get a $50 finders fee?
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Anyone know the pricing and details of this new option? It has leather seats, 18 or 20 inch chrome wheels, among other stuff. Edmunds doesn't have anything on it yet. I've seen lots of commercials on TV here in Orlando. Toyota.com has some info. if you go through their "build it" links. And there's some basic info. about it at kbb.com.
  • surfdogsurfdog Member Posts: 2
    There are plenty of Access Cab 4X4s here too but not the "Limited".Dealers here in Ca. are apparently offering only the SR5. The nice options such as limited w/leather buckets and Navigation are only available in the double cab.I don't understand why it would be available in the literature, and not on the ground.
    The trend in trucks is bigger and bigger while the reality of gas prices are making me want to go smaller,not bigger.The next Tundra will be bigger yet so I want one now.I am willing to buy out of state if need be. Thanks!
  • olddogolddog Member Posts: 2
    please explain, I am very interested in your opinion.
  • lawncare01lawncare01 Member Posts: 7
    You lucky rascal! Why cant I have some luck like that?
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I am interested in buy either a new 05 Tundra V8 or a slightly used 04 model (if I can find a good deal). I read somewhere that the 05 Tundra has a new engine that produces 280 Hp. I think the 04 Tundra V8 produced either 240 or 245 Hp. Is the extra horspower very noticable? Does it also increases towing ability. I am not going to do any serious towing anyway.
  • tundra_4x4tundra_4x4 Member Posts: 4
    Both engines tow the same amount of weight, the 05's have a 5spd auto, vs the 04's 4spd. Its supposed to be 1mpg better on fuel.
  • tundra_4x4tundra_4x4 Member Posts: 4
    I have the 04 Tundra Access cab, I love it, pretty good on gas, the new engine has more power and a 5spd auto. I'm not sure if the Ford bed is available longer than 5.5 feet, you might keep that in mind. Its a personal choice, you might find the seats in the Ford or GM more comfortable, depending on what you are used to.

Another tip, get the dealer to throw in running boards, anybody under 6 feet or so will have to hop into the cab. My mother is 5'2" and I had to give her an up turned bucket to stand on, or should wouldn't have made it inside. Kids have difficulty too, especially in winter, because of snow getting on their knees.
  • shhendrishhendri Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys, just got a 4dr 4whl sr5 tundra, and I love it, could have asked for anything more in a pick up (I would have liked to get the sunroof though). Besides the dealer accessories, has anyone found any good looking accessories to add to the tundra? i.e. nerf bars, grill guards, tail light protectors.
  • muskles33muskles33 Member Posts: 7
    Here are a few sites for you:
    www.westinautomotive.com
    www.brandsport.com
    www.gorhino.com
    www.truckexpressions.com
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    I'm looking at trading in my '99 Exploder on a '00 Tundra SR5 4x2 access cab with 57k miles on it. My Ford is a 4x4, but I haven't had much luck with it. It's let me down several times in wet grass, so I don't think a 4x2 would be much worse. Also the gas mileage on the Ford is the same as the 4x2 V8 Tundra, 15/18.

My question is, what problems have been known for these trucks? I've seen transmission and brake issues named. Anything else? I noticed some rust on the one I'm looking at, is that common thing as well? Inside the front bumper on either side of the license plate bracket there is rust. I also noticed some rust stains (or else red mud stains) on the carpet inside the truck. The dealer says it's a Toyota Certified used truck, but it looks to me a lot like a flood victim.

I was very impressed with the ride and drive of the truck. The price they want is $15,990. Carfax showed 2 previous owners, but was clean. Any advice? Thanks,
    idntnvu
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    $15,900 for a used 2000 Tundra? You better run FAST! You can get a brand new 2005 Tundra access cab for $20,500 on sale.
  • victor3victor3 Member Posts: 15
    I am not happy with the "suicide" doors on my 2005 Tundra v-6, automatic, RWD, Access model. I would prefer the full double cab. What would a fair trade-in amount be? Original MSRP 25,900 and sale price was 24,249. How do they calculate the trade-in on such a new vehicle? I took the 0% interest rather than the rebates. I am trying to find out a fair trade-in and what my negative equity will be.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Victor, you could be looking at a stiff hit unless your dealer is willing o work with you on the trade. Best advice is to head over to Real World Trade-In Values, type in all the requested information (in red in the posting box), and see what the pros say.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • victor3victor3 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks, I will try Real World Trade-In Values.

Victor
  • si88si88 Member Posts: 39
    I am now considering both the 4x2 Titan Crew Cab and Tundra Double Cab with all options, NAV, DVD, etc. Don't need to haul more than a small boat with family bikes and camping equip, etc...

What are some of the major differences that made you buy your truck?

I know Titan as more power but Tundra has a more refined smooth ride. I like the Titan's color choices better. With both equiped similarly it seems the Tundra is less expensive. What to do? :confuse:
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Then GET IT. The Titanic is now in it's second year, and they have had poor reliability. The Tundras are bulletproof, almost. I looked at the Titans myself. They are sweet looking trucks, but with as many problems as I've read about them having, I'd get a Tundra. After a few years I think the Titanic will get all it's bugs worked out and won't be such a sinker. I drove a '00 4x2 Tundra last week and loved it. It had plenty of power, and just the right amount of space (access cab). I do believe the double cab would have plenty of space. In the end it's your decision, but if reliability is a big factor, then you can't go wrong with Toyota.