Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• quest67277quest67277 Member Posts: 7
    :mad: i went to bank of america online site to fill out a pre-aproved auto loan app. i was denied like 2 seconds after i hit the enter key on my keyboard. i called them and they say because i have not used credit in almost 7 years the enhanced auto bureau credit request that they pulled would not rate me. they also say that i would get a very high interest rate because i have not used credit in so long. they said i had what is called DORMANT credit. what in the world should i do. i have worked my but off to pay of the things on my credit report and i saved and bought everything in cash. i do not even open credit card offers. they go straight to the trash. i pulled my credit report and it says i have a 708 beacon score. what is going on. i was shocked to hear this info. is it true and how do i get around the high interest rate just because i have not bought things on credit for a long time. i am in the market for a 2007 toyota tundra. PLEASE HELP........
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Very surprising. I've heard of people who have had their car ins sky rocket when the ins companies started using credit history as a factor. These are the same people as yourself who just have never had to borrow money. Kind of ironic isn't it?

All I could say is to shop around for financing. Others here who are more familiar with financing may be able to help. I'd suggest to get a credit card with no anual fee, which I'm sure you would pay off each month.
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    I never use credit either but I just wrote a check for the Tundra. Talk to Toyota finance guys at your dealer if you have not done so.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Welcome to the wild world of credit. Where NOT using it is worse than a bankruptcy by many standards. Try another lender, some have different requirements. Your beacon score isn't all that bad so it's just a credit history issue. You'll probably need to visit a local bank and speak with a human that makes decisions.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Just bought a 2002 tundra access cab, and the passenger side rear window latch broke a couple of days after I got it. Besides going to the dealer to get a replacement (about $30) is there another place I might check? I've looked online, haven't been able to find anything, nothing on ebay either. Thanks!
  • 12ozcurls12ozcurls Member Posts: 65
    Unfortunately this is only the beginning of your problems...
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    http://www.taprecycling.net/ is a pretty good source for used Toyota parts. I haven't bought anything from them in probably ten years....but that's where I'd look if I needed something pricey. Of course, I'm not sure you could beat $30 by the time it gets shipped to you. Might as well go with a new part.
    Well, I've read up on some of the Tundra issues...appears that this one has had all the recalls and fixes done to it, but I'll be cautiously optimistic. The way I look at it, it's gotta be better than what I had.
    Thanks for the info, I checked them out, sent them a description of what i need, hopefully I'll get a quote today. Thanks again!
    yeah probably true...tough to find a good piece of machinery these days...you might want to check out the tundra brake problems forum to make sure you got all your ducks in a row, would hate for you to get into trouble:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0bb7df/0
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Great way to look at it... A good friend of mine has pretty much convinced me to steer clear of the GM twins based on two disappointing experiences with GMC Sierras. That and the horror stories that come out of the dealership that he works for (service manager).

Stupid stuff, repetitive issues along with some serious, costly things that happened to both of his trucks. Tranny replacment, rear axle whine, O2 sensors, intake Manifolds, Int. steering shaft replacement, multiple early brake jobs, all of this happened on both of his trucks (combined). Not to mention they were just cheap and chintzy...

So even his own personal service dept. couldn't keep him in the GM camp. Free fixes are still fixes no matter how he looked at it, it was still too much inconvenience than it was worth. So, he now drives a 5.7l TTDC. Didn't even give the new ones a chance... :sick:
  • blackmbjblackmbj Member Posts: 2
    I printed out all the codes that an '03 Tundra could report. Found them at TundraSolutions.com, but had to become a paying member, but that was well worth it for all the information I picked up from this site. :)
  • blackmbjblackmbj Member Posts: 2
    I just filled my tank last night (17.38 Gal) and according to my ScanGuageII, I got 16.8 MPG on that last tankfull. All city driving, heavy foot, jackrabit starts.

My highway varies between 23-26 MPG, and I'm REAL happy about that.

How did I get there? Lots of performance parts $$$$

CAI, TBS, Headers, Y-Pipe, Cat-Back Dual, Computer Chip, Electric Fan, ScanGuageII to monitor.

Most info I got from TundraSolutions.com, most of the parts from PerformanceProducts.com. Runs nice and smooth, power to spare, will smoke those big 17 inch rear tires, even after a rolling start. :)
  • yota4trukyota4truk Member Posts: 34
    did you find anything to stop the "Tundra" from bouncing all aver the highway?????? like maybe a heavy duty frame???
    yeah! they thought of everything except a heavy enough frame to keep the thing from bouncing all over the place....
    yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!
    no problem with bouncing bed??? this thing shudders for no reason at all, the frame is to puny.......
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 5
    If you're talking about the 5.7 I just returned from a vacation in Mamouth Lakes, Ca., max elevation 8500 ft., pulling a trailer with about 9,400 lbs. loaded weight. My
    Tundra Double Cab did exelent on hills (65 mph) super comfortable. MPG was only 8 1/2 but that was all my lifted F350 diesel got on the hills pulling the same trailer. Talked to another new Tundra owner who said that's what he got pulling an 8,500 lb trailer 2,600 miles on a vacation through Colorado. I have gotten around 14 1/2 mpg pulling my 5,200 lb concrete pump combination city/highway.(No windage on it like my travel trailer) Best I've done not towing straight highway is 17.12 mpg. Overall I'm super happy with my new Tundra. Just wish they had made it about 6" higher!
  • retrozone1retrozone1 Member Posts: 1
    Thinking of buying a 4200# travel trailer. Wish to pull it in the mountains without too much of an issue. I have a towing package (I guess that means it has the wiring and a bigger transmission) and it is an extended cab if that matters.

Any ideas?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I have a 2003 Tundrs SR5 EXCab, auto, sportside, 2 wheel drive, TRD sprorts package. Recently a one time passenger asked me how I liked it and I told they I never had any trouble and it was great. We parked at a store, came out and took off. Guess what? Tranny wouldn't shift from 1st to second without running up to about 5000 rpms and jerking the foot off the gas it would shift to second. After an afternoon and evening of that, off to the dealer it went. Long story short and a week later, just picked up the truck with a remanufactured tranny. Bad news is it only had 43,000 miles and I drive it pretty easy. Good news is it was replaced under powertrain warranty. Never in life had a tranny go out anywher near that mileage. Hopefully, it was an anomoly.
    not an anomaly, a somewhat common thing with that model tundra...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_tundra_misc.html
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I appreciate you providing the link but in it I could find only one consumer complaint about transmission shifting and it was not the same problem. I searched Edmonds forums for similar tranny problems and didn't see much about this either. So I guess I have to question that it is a "common thing". I know 4 other people that have 2002-2004 Tundras and none have had a tranny problem and they all have a lot more miles on their vehicle than I do. In four years this is the only issue I have had with the truck and the first time I recieved warranty work. The dealer supplied me with a new Camry SE to drive for a week and in general was very responsive. I just bought a Mazda6 the other night so I am not a shill for Toyota but I feel I have good luck with the Tundra and with the dealer. Thanks.
    yeah my bad, probably shouldn't have said common, others have reported problems with their Tundra trans with relatively low milage was hoping the link would help you out some..
  • vincekellervincekeller Member Posts: 28
    Highway veries between 23-26? yeah right, dream-on buddy. Unless you are going down hill both ways, or you have tail wind in both directions.
    TundraSolutions is such a BS site. Why would anyone in his right mind pays to be a member. Such BS.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If you don't want to pay this site may be an option for a Tundra owner.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/f114
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    We hope the site you're on right now can be the best... share your info here instead!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • leo76dragonleo76dragon Member Posts: 1
    What is your opinions on these comparisons?... 2007 Crewmax limited vs. Avalanche LTZ... both 4x4.... Toyota vs Chevy?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Not the same animal. One has coil springs one has leafs. One can be used to haul manure, the other, can but I wouldn't recommend it.
  • chastychasty Member Posts: 1
    Hi I just bought my first Tundra 2001 SR5 Limited. My keys are not original Toyota key and with all the options this truck has i was wondering if there is a way to see if it came with keyless entry?
  • billyiibillyii Member Posts: 4
    A couple of interesting articles from Motor Trend"s Truck Trend concerning their truck of the year and its 3/4 and 1 ton competitors. Note the 0-60MPH times on all the trucks including the 4.7 Toyota especially pulling trailers.

http://www.trucktrend.com/oftheyear/truck/163_0804_2008_truck_of_the_year_winner- _2008_toyota_tundra/index.html

Enjoy,

Billy
  • cruiser69cruiser69 Member Posts: 40
    I agree. My father owns an 06 Tundra 2wd, V6, regular cab, auto, ac, with 8 foot bed. Best mileage highway he has achieved was 22 miles per gallon with cruise on set at 65 miles per hour in Florida, flat stretch of I 75 and temps around 75 degrees with tires at maximum cold pressure. That was under ideal conditions. Most of the time highway mileage at 65 miles an hour is around 20 miles per gallon and that is very attainable with that truck configuration at that speed. Now drive 75 miles an hour and of course you will get considerably less. He added a streamlined truck cap and lost about 1 mile per gallon due to drag. The truck for light duty use is without question a fine vehicle for his needs and after 58,000 well maintained miles, no reported problems to date.

Still squeak and rattle free and he has hauled max payload items such as concrete blocks and drywall in the bed, plus towed at maximum quite a few times and the truck performed flawlessly. It rides like a car too. The new 07 Tundra however does need further refinement. Sometimes older is better.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    take your vin by to the local dealer and see if they will pull up the original specs of your truck. If it was sold in that area new it will still be in the computer system and they can pull it up and see. i can not rememebr but if it was a Limited it should have standaadr keyless remote but its been a while since that model year
  • green_g8rgreen_g8r Member Posts: 3
    My 2007 Tundra has the chrome peeling and flaking off the rear bumper. Has anyone else had a problem similiar to this? also, here in Wyoming, it can get down right cold, and there's an annoying squeak in the dash, but only when its cold. Just a couple problems I've experienced since I got my 07. I had an 05 and LOVED it, but this new 1, I'm not so sure about.
  • vincekellervincekeller Member Posts: 28
    I just dumped this POS last week for a new 08 Honda; it had only 8K miles on it, and I could not stand the rough ride and noisy engine/transmission anymore. I have owned three Tundras, and 5 other Toyotas in the last few years, and this one was the worst. Bye bye Toyota forever.
  • green_g8rgreen_g8r Member Posts: 3
    Well, im not the only 1 feeling like that... i too am not impressed with my 07 TURDra. I had an 05 and every day i regret trading it in for this one. I leased it, so I cant wait for the lease to end, so i can get it off my hands. You say you got an 08 Honda, what was it, the Ridgeline? or what? how do you like your Honda so Far? L8Rs
  • rosetomrehrosetomreh Member Posts: 3
    What do you think? I have a V8 5.7L 1-ton double cab extended bed with tow package. I want to pull a 39' camper that weighs slightly less than 8200 lbs. dry. I read previously that a truck is meant to work, not just to look at. Well, the truck is under an extended warranty, just want to hear some thoughts.......
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Wondering what make of truck you have and the year.
  • katzatkatzat Member Posts: 45
    I just picked up my new 2008 Tundra last night. Paint looks normal, but I will keep an eye out for this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Of course, I hope your truck was an anomaly and i don't see any paint problems.
  • cheekyrickcheekyrick Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately its not an anomoly... if you take a key and scrape the paint (in the bed of course!), then you'll find it's EXTREMELY easy to scratch.

If you take a look on the other Tundra forums, like TundraTalk.net or TundraSolutions.com you'll see that it's an endemic problem! :-(
    OK, So I just went out and took the new key to the bed of my truck. You are correct, It seems to scratch pretty easily. Just as a control test, I also took the same key to the BMW parked next to mine. Turns out that it scratched pretty easily as well.

The brand new key seems pretty sharp.

My wife has a 2004 Sequoia at home. That truck's paint still looks brand new. I will take the key to an inconspicuous place on it to determine if the Tundra is significantly different. I should report back by Monday.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Imagine the BMW owner was thrilled that you keyed his car.
    He has not mentioned it yet. Perhaps he didn't notice it. ;)
    I did the key test to my wife's 2004 Sequoia this weekend. It scratched, but was not as noticable. As I performed a cursory inspection of the Sequoia's paint, it does seem to have a better finish than the new Tundra's. They are different colors so the comparison is difficult.

I really hope the paint difference is not as significant as cheekyrick indicates. I had a '89 F250 that had a factory paint problem that made most of the silver paint fall off the truck after a few years. Strangely, the truck never really rusted, but had the primer exposed over most of the horizontal surfaces after perhaps 8 years of service. I still have that truck and will be selling it now that I have the Tundra. I was really hoping to have a truck with more general use than the old Ford's with all the paint peeling all the time.

I'll keep you posted.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Paint technology has changed dramatically since your 89 Ford. And I'll bet it was Silver - they had specific problems with the Sherwin-Williams paint on those trucks.
    You are correct sir. It was the silver. The truck is 2-toned, so all of the silver on the roof was gone after 8 years. I recieved several recall notices on it well after the paint was gone, but decided not to bother. The truck is now black, gray (primer where silver peeled off but didn't rust), and brown (where the silver peeled off and it rusted). The good (and surprising) news is that due to the galvinized steel used after the late 80s the truck still has not rusted through anywhere -- and it is 19 years old. And it still runs. Go Ford.

NVBanker, I seem to recall that you used to frequent the Toyota Sequoia, Nissan Armada, and/or Lincoln Navigator forums back in 2003 when I was investigating the eventual purchase of a SUV. Your comments were very helpful. I eventually bought a 2004 Sequoia for my wife and we have been tickled pink with that truck for the past 4.5 years. Nearly 80,000 miles and not a single trip to the shop for other than scheduled maintenance. It is on its second set of tires and they still have quite a bit of wear left on them.

So based on my experience with the 2004 Sequoia, I (after much laborious deliberation) finally purchased a Tundra. While some aspects seem to be improved over the Sequoia, most do not. I really hope the new Tundra is made from the same cloth as the previous truck was.

This paint thing has me a bit worried. I wish I had seen some of these posts before I ordered the truck back in December.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I recently owned an 04 Tundra. Though I didn't really "like" the truck for several design feature reasons, it was undeniably an excellent truck. I doubt you'll be unhappy with your Tundra, and the paint won't fade or peel. Though, it does scratch kind of easy. It's pretty thin, it seems.....
  • cajohn54cajohn54 Member Posts: 14
    customer service agent ashley said that the tundra needs to be treated tenderly, just to let anyone know who is thinking about purchasing one of these powder puffs
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Oh let me guess, you're a Ford man?
    07 5.7l under warranty
    1.first the brakes grabbed now they are mushy
    2.the door stop on the regular cab extra long door broke and dealer says not under warranty toyota agrees says to treat tundra tenderly
    3. sun reflection off of the hood on the bend near the windshield and off of the plastic over the radio on the dashboard are extremely annoying

two things work flawlessly on my powder puff; the tail gate and the cruise control
    mike i have owed three toyota trucks and one dodge 3/4 ton w v10 but never a ford but may go with one now that you mention it, thanks