Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    1 & 2 are identical issues I had with my '03 Chevy. Brakes were replaced three times under warranty by 20k miles, always with a smile. Plastic door stop broke after wind caught door and bent it backwards. Dealer happily replaced under warranty. Still really liked that truck and would have bought another if they offered crew-cab with 6' bed.

'05 Tundra has 50k miles and only back to dealer for one recall....thank God...Toyota dealers never treated me as well as their vehicles. Love this "light-weight" 9/10 truck that can't tow 10,000# yet suspiciously has MORE payload capacity than the new Tundra.....makes ya go hmmmmmm.
  • rosetomrehrosetomreh Member Posts: 3
    We have had our Toyota Tundra for just over a year and we adore it. It's a shame you are having soo many problems with yours. We have never experienced a single problem. We have even towed a 10000 lb. 40 ft. Travel Trailer over 2100 miles and still haven't had any issues. A truck is meant to work hard, not look good, but we got a hard-working truck that looks awesome! Can't argue with that.....
  • cajohn54cajohn54 Member Posts: 14
    thanks and yes the four door sr5 is a wonderful truck mine is a regular cab 5.7l with sr5 upgrade, like comparing an orange and a lemon
  • cajohn54cajohn54 Member Posts: 14
    thanks sebring not clear on which truck is the light weight but when i traded a half ton dodge for a 3/4 ton dodge i went from clunker to john deere
    I just don't buy into the outrageous tow ratings on the 1/2 ton trucks. They really don't have the payload capacity to back it up. '07 Tundra CM rated for 10,100# towing and has 1,500# of payload capacity. One tank of fuel and you're overloaded...never mind a driver or anything else. My '05 is rated for 6,500# towing and has over 1,650# of payload capacity. I'm not saying Toyota is better/worse than anyone else because they all do it. Toyota just didn't do it with the prior gen Tundra.

I also have an '03 Ram 3500 with over 180k miles pulling 12,000#-15,000# horse trailers nearly 100% of the miles. Big difference between that and any of the 1/2 ton out there.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    You replied to the wrong post. Just one problem with my 06 Tundra, fixed under warranty the first week I had the truck, so far 27K miles and haven't been back since.
  • tsummers1tsummers1 Member Posts: 1
    The Proof

Just look how Toyota's bed shakes in the durability demo. I wouldn't take the truck down a dirt road.
  • mule4mule4 Member Posts: 36
    Another toyota basher. I own a tundra 5.7 engine most powerful 1/2 ton on market fair mpg. ford might make a good truck some day if they get rid of that low power 5.4 gas hog engine. Go to the ford truck form & see if you can find all the problems ford is having. maybe vibration & lots more.You know i don't think there are any toyota owners on there bashing ford.Because they don't want the owners to feel any worse than than they already do.Hope you have good luck with your truck if you have one.
  • mtolosomtoloso Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Tundra Grade truck has the same shock absorbers as the SR5 and Limited?
  • hammaahammaa Member Posts: 79
    hi - i was hoping some of you experts could help me!! i need to buy a new (used) truck, and i wanted some opinions. first of all, it would be a daily driver (i drive about 15K to 18K/year). secondly, it needs to look nice enough for a banker to show up at a customer's office and not be embarrassed. (but i only have about $8K and won't finance.)

i'm currently looking at a 2001 tacoma, prerunner, w/ 115K miles. it appears to be in excellent condition, from original owner, asking $7,500. OR, 2003 tundra access cab, excellent from original owner, asking $8,200.

i'd like to keep the truck forever, and give it to my 10 year old son to drive when he turns 16.

THOUGHTS???

THANKS!!!!
  • cruemax08cruemax08 Member Posts: 2
    I think that year tacoma is part of the frame watch, where many of those yearly 2000's tundras are now failing inspections due to frame corrosion. You might be better off with the Tundra.

As far as the "look", I think you would be sitting higher off the floor of that Tundra (remembering my pals '99 tacoma) so your pant legs might stay cleaner.

Hope that helps!
  • wyorebwyoreb Member Posts: 45
    wondering why there are so few 2009s available?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Not that many were made... Toyota had a very abbreviated 2009 run. They had closed the Texas plant for 3 months in the summer and fall of 2008 for inventory control, then opted to launch an early 2010 a few months ago.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • biguglybigugly Member Posts: 3
    I finally will be selling a 1989 F250 nicknamed the 'Big Ugly' because it is. I have owned it for 7 years. The truck has been good, but time for a Toyota. The Tundra and Tacpo appear to be good trucks. I want a manual transmission because of preference for highway driving and in the snow. I would like a crew cab, or possibly extended cab for the Tundra only. I will be driving 500 miles or more with people in the back, camping or trips. The Taco extended cab seems to be too small and upright for people for long trips. What is the extended cab like for comfort in the Tundra? Is the extended cab too small and sit upright too much compared to the crew cab? What is other experience for manual transmissions for the Tundra and mpg? Thanks. :)
    I assume you're considering the 1st generation Tundra (2000-2006), because I don't believe the new one comes with a manual transmission at all. Of that generation, only the reg. and ext. cab V6 models come with manual. The access (ext.) cab in that generation is not comfortable for adults IMHO. Plus the performance is mediocre and mpg really isn't much different than V8 auto. So I think you should scrap the Tundra if a manual tranny is a requirement. That narrows you down to the Tacoma double-cab which doesn't have a manual transmission until the 2005+ redesign. Not a bad truck and close to Tundra size, but narrower. I personally think the Tundra double-cab is a better all around truck and the V8 is a very good performer. That's the route I went and have been very happy with it. Cost wise, the Tundra of a similar year isn't much difference in price and you get a much roomier interior, stronger motor, etc. But you've got to give up the manual tranny.
  • biguglybigugly Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, but I really do not want to give up on a manual transmission. I have driven many vehicles and realized most manufacturers, including Toyota, have not figured out to program a transmission as well as I can when I drive a manual. The transmissions jump too much on rolling hills, which I do not like at all. I think a Tundra access cab came with a 6cyl manual. I read how some did not mind the change in the back seat, but I need more information on preformance and the back. I would consider a manual Taco 6 cyl or Frontier 6cyl. I hope to hear about a manual Tundra access cab owner on back seat comfort, towing, mpg and other issues. If only more options existed for trucks with manual transmissions.......Thanks.
  • gus79gus79 Member Posts: 1
    I just had new winter tires installed on my Tundra 2005 and the TPMS light now stays on all of the time. It did nor come on with the old tires. The new tires are on the old rims with the same sensors as before. I have checked that all tires have the correct pressure. On net I have found several postings saying the TPMS switch must be used to reset the system. The problem is -- where is the reset switch. A person who identified himself as a Toyota tech said it was located at the lower end of the steering column and had a symbol like the TPMS light in the instrument cluster. Searching with a good light I could find no switch. Another said it was near the hood release -- to slide your hand along the lower edge of the dash and you would find a button. None there. Another said it was combined with the odometer/trip selector -- but no combination of pressing reset buttons has any effect. There may have been another suggestion given, but the bottom line is that I cannot find the TPMS on my 2005 Tundra.

Do any of you know where it is?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • chris_4325chris_4325 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking for a new car/truck/SUV and here is my dilemma: I like Avalanche’s look, but Tundra’s reliability. Currently I have 1999 Ford F-150, and never had any problems with it. I bought it brand new and now it has 140K miles on it. Once a while I need a pick-up truck, and I’d like to enjoy the nice look of it. The bed in a new F-150’s appears much bigger to what I’m used to and I don’t like it. I like the appearance of Chevy Avalanche, but I’ve read that people are having some problems with it. On the other hand Tundra would be more reliable, but it is rather a typical pick-up truck. I might also add that my teenage sons dream of Avalanche. Can you advise me please which car to choose from, or give me some thoughts to start with?
    Thanks.
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    That's a tough one. I've been a Toyota guy since 1991 when I got my first one, and for good reason...reliability. I'm not nuts about "working" on cars and I hate it when the transportation "tool" (read: vehicle) that I depend-on and 'need right now' when I go out and turn the key, doesn't work or craps-out while going somewhere. I'd been a GM customer for many years, as had my family, until I got sick of the excuses, idiotic engineering, poor build quality, and constant problems; never again.
    Having said that, seems to me if you really like the looks of the Avalanche and you buy a Toyota, you're going to be looking longingly everytime a nice-looking Chevy goes by and feel 'geez, I really should've got one'. And you may very well have good luck with the Chevy. Suggestion...check out Consumer Reports (takes a lot of the emotion out of it) and the threads on Edmunds here (caution...more people write to complain than those who write and praise on just about anything). Regards, BGood
  • chris_4325chris_4325 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your thoughts. I looked at the Edmunds forums and it looks that much more people are complaining on Avalanches than on Tundras. I think people usually complain on out of warranty cars, since they have to pay for repairs themselves. I’m looking for a new car so how do I adjust these complaints for the possibility that the factory may have already fixed these problems that people were having in their older cars? I guess that if there were a lot of problems with any aspect of the vehicle, the factory would rather fixed it on a production/assembly line than later at the dealerships, what would costs them much more. You are right saying that people who are happy with their cars do not post their excitement. Is there any way to find the number of Avalanches and Tundras sold within last year or last two years? These complaints would have quite different meaning if there are much more Tundras than Avalanches. That would be a big warning for me. On the other hand if there area more Avalanches that would ease my uncertainty. What do you think about this reasoning? Thanks.
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    Once again, I'd put a fair amount of stock in Consumer Reports as being the most objective gauge of reliability. If you live near a decent library they'll have either the Buyers Guide or maybe even a back issue where they may have tested pickups.
    Another factor to consider is dealership honesty/character/quality in terms of their service reputation. I've been to 2 Toyota dealerships within 10 miles of each other over the years: one has been "fairly" honest in their maintenance/service advice and costs and did me several cost-reduction "favors" on specific service (reduced-cost oil changes regularly, a free tire rotation now and then), and always got me in when I needed to. The other has just bent over backwards to accomodate me (oil changes never take more than 20 minutes, price is always reduced to the "coupon-special" of $22 without the coupon, once accidently over-charged me on an item by $10, apologized and gave me a free oil change, work always done exactly the way I want it, minor warranty items taken care-of with no hassle, etc, etc) and that's from a BIG dealership with genuinely NICE, FRIENDLY people. I can't say enough good about them and I trust their service people. That's a BIG plus. Regards, BGood
    Sounds like everyone is in the right area. It's located under the steering column toward the bottom of the dash. I'm not looking at it now, but it seems like there's also a vent in that area as well. I know I can reach it while driving as I reset it awhile back after getting tires rotated. Also, did you check the pressure in the spare tire?

And the person recommending the odometer reset was confused, because that's used to reset the maintenance light. Your manual covers all of this.
  • jcardieljcardiel Member Posts: 4
    Hi All.

I just noticed an engine oil leak in my 2005 Toyota Tundra ( 2wd, dc, 99k mi ). I have been keeping it very well maintained and have never towed anything with it. The high miles (mostly highway) are due to my long commute to work.

I thought, being a toyota, it would be trouble free ( except maitenance ) for at least 200k miles.

I've seen similar complaints on lower miles tundras and it seems to be the rear main seal. Do you know how much this would cost to fix ?

Thanks
  • scottc42scottc42 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 d-cab with a 4.6 and i cant get used to gas pedal, it kinda has a delay when driving around town like when i come to a stop sign and still rolling 5mph + - and give it some gas to take off ( keep in mind i dont have a lead foot try to save gas) the tranny seams like its in a higher gear than it should be so when you give it some gas it seams like it slips trying to get to a lower gear. the problem is between 5mph to about 20 mph,the truck is great for getting on the highway its like a rocket and rides great just dont know if there is a tranny prob or that is just how the electric gas pedal works, if anybody eles has the same prob or is it me? p.s. the truck has about 1200 miles on it.
  • wyorebwyoreb Member Posts: 45
    i have noticed the same thing, mostly when engine is cold, and it seems to go away once warmed up. it's a little quirky, but i've gotten used to it. have seen other posts that refer to it, but no one has said it's a problem.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you own one of the models listed in the recall and have actually experienced the unintended acceleration, please send an email with details of the experience and how it felt.

karen@edmunds.com
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    How about all those Rustundra owners???
  • PMOPMO Member Posts: 278
    I have an email about the tailgate problems,buckling when useing box extender from Toyota? Tail gates falling off?Then anyone out there with information or is this another crock to discredit Toyota?
  • davidsareendavidsareen Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I'm trading my 2005 4.7L V8 4Runner 77000 miles for a 4X4-5.7L tundra(SR5)Payoff for 4runner is $15,200... after much searching the best deal I got from a dealer is $36,000 @ 0% for 60 months(downpayment of $3000) and a monthly payment of $600.This includes my trade-in.
    I live in NY long Island.
    Please kindly advice if this is worth.
    Thanks
  • green_g8rgreen_g8r Member Posts: 3
    Im kinda in the same boat. I leased a 07 Tundra, and am looking at getting out of it. The 0% sounds good, but still having to put anything down doesnt appeal to me. Ive been looking at 09 tundras. They are almost 2 years old, theres no difference between the 09 and the 10s. And seems dealers are willing to bargain a little with them. Might be worth checking out.The other option would be to go with the new 4.6 L engine, rather then the 5.7. you lose about 80 hp, but saves about $2000 too. Option 3, would be to buy my 07 Tundra ;) good as new, and only 27K miles... Good luck.
  • 327camaro327camaro Member Posts: 1
    $36,000 was the best price? That seems close to MSRP. In MA, I have received 2 quotes from 2 different dealers for $300 under invoice. The Tundra I was looking at was SR5, TRD package, double cab. Quoted at $32,300. Keep looking.
    Approach this as two transactions: 1. new truck price. 2. trade-in of 4runner.

You should be buying the Tundra at or under invoice. See Edmunds pricing for the numbers. Take a look at Edmunds and KBB trade-in values for a ballpark of what they should be offering for your 4Runner. Your payoff doesn't matter in putting a value on the vehicles so leave that out of the mix.
    Thanks for the reply Green_g8t I will surely look for other prices, I like the 5.7L V8 Crewmax,if i go for 4.6L then I would keep my 4 runner.I wish good luck.
    Thanks again for the much appreciated reply,I will by all means keep looking now.
    Sorry I forgot to mention the deal was for a 5.7L V8 Crewmax with the TRD Rock Warrior package for $ 36000.
    $ 36000 includes my
    1.My trade-in: 2005 4.7L V8-4Runner-which has a payoff of $15000.00(dealer told me that he would take care this payment).
    2.A down payment of $ 3000.00
    3.Monthy payment of $600.00 for 60 months.(0% interest)
    Seems a little high if the rock warrior pkg is the only option. Here's where I think the deal should be:

Tunder V8 CM TRD RW package: $34,000 (invoice).

Trade value: $12,500 (this is a guess assuming SR5 4Runner V8 in good cond)

Net: $21,500

Payoff: $15,000

Subtotal: $36,500

Plus Tax on purchase price: $1,200 (this is a guess, adjust for local tax rates)

Total: $37,700

Less Downpayment: $3,000

Balance Due: $34,700

Seems like there should be $1,000 on the table unless there are more options on the truck or your trade isn't "average" for what you describe.
    Thank you so much for the quick response,your breakdown makes much sense and is very resonable,I would keep these figures and go in for the bargain.Thanks again.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    At the risk of being the skunk at the garden party, why don't you keep the 2005 for a year or two more? At present you seem to owe more on it than it is worth PLUS in my humble opinion with only 3K down on the new 36K Tundra you will be way upside down on that for a long time.
    Hey Bud !
    Thanks for the reply..I'm so in love with this truck..I couldn't resist and bought it 3 weeks ago..well I got it .. now I have to live with it..thanks though and please keep in touch.
  • notlikintundranotlikintundra Member Posts: 3
    I have been the proud owner of 4 Toyotas prior to purchasing my 2007 Tundra Crew Max in August of 2007. This is my last Toyota. Quality is just not there anymore, nor are there any honest dealers to repair them. Here is my list of issues.
    --truck runs like crap after recall to adjust computer . Dealer says "Normal"
    --Gutless towing my 2700 pound Tent Trailer. Advertised to tow 10,000 with ease (my Tacoma does a better job)
    --Poor paint quality. Paint comes off truck with every little bump. Nothing you can rub out or touch up. Repaint the truck or live with the white undercoating showing through
    --Radio volume does not work and stations drift off of where set
    --Dash vents will not stay in adjusted position, you have a choice of full up or full down. Dealer reluctant to fix due to need to pull the dash. Says Dash will start to rattle when they fix it. Dash already rattles. So Add;
    --Excessive dash rattle
    --Loud engine noise similar to valve tapping. Dealer Says "normal" even though I have never heard it before, sounds like a diesel from inside the cab
    --Tranny shifts hard when cold, You guessed it, the dealer says "normal" Did not happen in the first year of driving the truck
    One more thing I should mention, the truck has a whopping 17,000 miles on it. Oh joy, I wonder hat happens when I reach 20,000.
  • bugs0215bugs0215 Member Posts: 4
    I have owned my Tundra for a year and a half and this is my review. I do use mine mostly for towing i have a travel trailer 8000 lbs. I had a Dodge Hemi before and there is no comparision on the towing. The power of the Tundra is made for towing and i felt the Dodge power was not it makes its power on the mid to top where the Tundra is much lower in the range. I can tell the build of the Tundra is much better and sure it could have more options inside the cabin. So far no issue and enjoying it!!!
  • subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    I purchased this truck July of 07. I use it for light duty taking repair materials to properties owned and family use. It has only 20k miles because we have 2 other vehicles. Early on, about 5K mi. the torque converter was replaced due to the speed strip effect. For some unknown reason the front bumper rusted through on the bottom. The rear bumper does not have this problem. I live in Florida but that is not the reason for this rust through. Other than these anomalys, there have been no problems. Gas consumption is 19 to 20 mpg hwy 70 mph and 17 to 18 mpg around our county. It drops off with stops but has never gone below 15 mpg. Even though it is much heavier and more powerful than my standard cab 04 Dodge hemi it gives better mpg. I believe this is the most useful vehicle ever owned by me and I am 74 yrs old this Month.
  • b_sharpb_sharp Member Posts: 2
    Is there anyone out there having a problem with their radio volume?

I have a 2007 Tundra double cab eight foot bed. When I get into the truck, it is a gamble if the volume knob will work. I emailed Toyota to see if there was a recall on this problem.

I have a friend who also owns a 2007 Tundra. He had to take his in for the same reason, radio volume problems. He put high mileage on his quickly. So it was with the 3 year / 36000 warranty. I purchased mine March 2008 and I only have 25,000 miles on it. Please pass this on if you have friends with a Tundra. I will place this on Facebook.
  • charleytampacharleytampa Member Posts: 43
    Hey guys,

I just purchased a 2007 Tundra 5.7 with 33k miles on it a couple months ago. I love the truck (even though the saddle leather is very delicate), but what's up with the tranny? Are they all this wonkey or is it just me??
  • b_sharpb_sharp Member Posts: 2
    No problems yet with the tranny. Lots of giddy up and go.
  • subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    My radio was changed out for intermittent sound when my Tundra was about 1 yr old. The radio they replaced the origonal with occasionally does the same thing. Consumer Reports shows the radio in the 07 reliability as much worse than average so I just live with it since it is out of warranty. Also I have complained since day one about the dim dash lights in bright sun. Except for the LED dash lights, which I do not have, all others the service Mgr checked are the same and there is no fix for this problem. Since I live in Florida this is a problem. The LED dash lights that come in the top of the line Tundra are plenty bright but they can not be changed out in my SR-5.
  • junktruck97junktruck97 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2011 crew cab 5.7--major vibration,it took a total of 2 months for my dealership sun toyota to fix the problem my chest and leg was shaking, and the funny thing is i would get it fixed, go down the road and have to come right back,i dont know how many alignments i had or wheel balancing,it turned out to be a driveshaft,after that it was better.
  • junktruck97junktruck97 Member Posts: 4
    good luck
  • rickey121rickey121 Member Posts: 1
    Toyota is now introducing the updated 2013
    [url=http://www.ezdia.com/epad/2013-toyota-tundra-revie/7898/ ]Toyota Tundra[/url] in the market.
    Its a full-size pickup truck the sketch is attractive, stylish. nonetheless, provide you the best value, good looks and best safety features in its 2013 model.
  • ksbharath86ksbharath86 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Users,

We at Latest Auto Reviews have compiled a review of the new 2012 Toyota Tundra. Please have a look and pass on your comments.

http://latest-autoreviews.info/2012-toyota-tundra/