Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• controlgodcontrolgod Member Posts: 14
    Will the drive train, front and rear ends be able to withstand that amount of power?
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    There is already a supercharger available for the V6. It is the same one a available for the Tacoma.

The Supercharger for the V8 will be available from TRD this Spring. Since it is a bolt-on accessory, it will fit any Tundra V8. TRD parts installed by the dealer will have the same warranty as the rest of the truck. Obviously Toyota is not worried about their bulletproof drivetrain.
    Do you REALLY think that a safety warning in a Toyota owner's manual magically increases the tow capacity of your Shakerado? Can you really be that naive? - Oh, yeah , you bought a Chevy.

Chevy puts a note in fine print at the bottom of their tow ratings in their brochure. They say that the tow rating is reduced by the weignt of an extended cab and any options you install. That's funny - Toyota doesn't say this. Could Chevy be inflating the tow ratings on their wimpy truck?

My point is that some safety warnings are absurd. If this is the point you were trying to make - I'm glad that we agree. The fact is that Toyota is rated to tow 7200 lbs. It says this in the owmer's manual. Can you please take your sour grapes elsewhere?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    How bout we all use something called common sense when towing. We all know what all our particular trucks can tow and haul correct? Ok well leave it at that.

You guys are worse than a bunch of 2 yr olds arguing over a toy.

Funny how all the foreign vehicles put superchargers in their vehicles. Why is that? Im just curious seriously does anyone know

Ryan
    Just the facts Maam. The Ford Lightning is a foreign vehicle?
    The ford lightning is 1 vehicle. I dont consider that your everyday run of the mill vehicle. I still to this day have only seen 3 of them. Oh wait i can add another pontiac hmmm grand prix also has a factory option supercharger one of my uncles friends has one.

I am talking about like the tacoma, the tundra is supposed to offer one, and there are numerous foreign cars. Why do so many foreign automakers offer superchargers and not so many american automakers?

Ryan
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    I realize it's easy to sometimes veer off topic, but for the benefit of all the Tundra owners that came here to discuss their trucks, let's please try to stick with the subject of this title: Toyota Tundra OWNERS: Rate Your Truck!

We do have other forums to discuss other makes/models.... Okay? Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Base Silverado trucks are rated at 5,000 pounds - no options required. To go over 5K you need the tranny cooler and heavy duty shocks. You keep talking about replacing the suspension - it is really just a shock upgrade. Both of these items came on my truck from the factory.
    The safety warning in the Tundra (you know the 45 MPH limit when towing) proves the Tundra is not a full size truck. Even Toyota recognizes the Tundra as a wimpy tow vehicle. Don't argue with me about it - you should be upset with Toyota for selling you a full size truck that has the tow capabilities of a V6 mini van. (well actually less capabilities)

Take it from Bamma - Towing with a Tundra is like putting a chain saw in your groin.
  • 4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    that is great...

Take it from Bamma - Towing with a Tundra is like putting a chain saw in your groin.
    LOL...

This Bamma guy is great...if music was BS, he would be a one man symphony!
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    You can put your TRUST in Bama. He's the one using the blow dryer in the shower! (LOL!)
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    "Rwell funny you say ignorance is bliss you sure must know that pretty good"

Toyota Tundra owners: Rate your truck......... Takes an ignorance induced bliss to post repeatedly on a tundra owner topic, when you don't even own one!!!!
    Ok Rwell ill leave u and Bama alone to talk to yourselfs
    Play nice!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    and that was his neighbor's truck that he keeps posting.....
  • mike77000mike77000 Member Posts: 1
    I towed a trailer with my Tundra from NY to LA and kept the speed over 75 in the rural areas. In some places I hit 100 without any problems. The truck is strong and stable. In the rockies I could hold 65 up any mountain on I70.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    That's impossible!!!!!
    You can't tow over 45 with the Tundra or it explodes. Plus, your limited to 2000lbs or less :)
    Better listen to what Rwell says about limiting your speed in the Tundra when towing, he has obviously read his owners manual. Any vehice will do more that it is rated to do - it will just wear out faster and you run the risk of major mechanical problems down the road.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    26000 miles and no major breakdowns, towed over 45mph, with over 2000 lbs and it did not break, hauled at its payload several times and it did not break,

I guess I have been one of the lucky ones

LOL
    Towing at 100 mph? Toyota doesnt put a speed limiter on their trucks?
    With only 26,000 miles your truck is still new. As long as you don't overload it on a regular basis you will most likely not have any breakdowns. Problems won't show up until you get past 60K anyway.
  • webbdwebbd Member Posts: 176
    The tacoma is governed at 105 MPH.

Tundradude, observe all the warnings in your owner's manual. And heed Z71bill's information about the onset of problems after 60K miles. This is the established limit for error-free operation as proven by the latest J.D. Powers 2000 Dependability Study and 5-year Dependability Study.

Oh, and don't look directly at the chrome handles on a sunny day as this has been known to cause blindness.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Yall just ain't right!

Happy New Year to everyone!
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    but just got back from NJ. Someone actually attached a plow on a Tundra. Didn't see it at work, it drove by like the rest of the plows that drove by. But it didn't look good making the Tundra look like a 'work' truck! :o)
  • jeanette4jeanette4 Member Posts: 2
    I love my Tundra....hated my Chevy ( total piece of crap!), Ford was a decent truck till things started falling apart after 80,000..at least it got that far unlike the Chevy, I still can't believe what a total piece of crap the Chevy turned out to be.

Jeanette
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I bought a new 1994 Toyota PU. The clutch went out at 12k miles not covered by warranty. Engine fell apart at 60k. It still looked good so I found a sucker to buy it. I bought a new 1964 Toyota Land Cruiser that was also a piece of carp, valves burnt up every 12k miles. The only good Japanese truck I ever owned was a 1970 Datsun. That was a dandy little truck. My last 4 trucks have been Chewy 3/4 ton 4X4's. All fine trucks. For me I'll buy something I can get fixed for a decent price. I don't like being held hostage while parts are shipped from Japan and priced like it was for a Rolls Royce.
  • webbdwebbd Member Posts: 176
    How is it that your clutch was not covered by warranty if, as you say, it went out at 12K miles? Could this be because the dealership discerned that there was no possible way for a clutch to go, under normal wear and tear, at 12K miles and refused to fix what you had abused?

And specifically, what on your engine failed? It, too, would have been covered under warranty (powertrain warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles) unless it was discovered the owner abused it by perhaps over-revving the engine every hour.

Did you buy the Landcruiser in 1964 or twenty or thirty years later? You know vehicles built in the 60's aren't exactly exalted for their craftmanship.

What is carp? My dictionary defines it as a "long-lived freshwater fish of sluggish waters."

And, in case you haven't been to a dealership this decade, most parts are not "shipped from Japan." They may be more expensive, but then so are Toyota vehicles, in general. How can an owner who is willing to pay more for a quality vehicle feel cheated when the parts are more expensive than those of competitors? Cheap parts for cheap vehicles and vice versa.

I'm not denying you your negative ownership experience. You are more than welcome to it. I am just trying to assume some clarity from your ambiguous claims.
  • sgtkurgansgtkurgan Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new toyota truck in 93 and have put 200,000+ miles on it. In that time the only thing that has going wrong with it was the timing chain broke at 100,000 miles. Everything in it is still original (execpt for things like sparkplugs, distributor, and filters). I still have the same clutch pad in it and its still going strong. It baffles my mind that you could wreck a truck that fast. As far as saying something bad about chevy I can't because I don't know anyone that owns a chevy truck. (3 dodges 4 fords and another toyota but no chevys :)
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    A couple historical notes make the conversation interesting, but when discussion starts to turn into a history lesson..., then it's time for your friendly reminder to please stick to the subject. ;-)

Let me also remind people that this discussion was created for Toyota Tundra owners to discuss/rate their truck. So let's please try to respect that.

And by the same token, if Tundra owners post messages here that include disparaging remarks about other makes/models, they should be aware that they'll be encouraging owners of those other makes/models to respond here.... Understand?

And now back to the subject of the Toyota Tundra. Thanks for keeping it friendly. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • krj2krj2 Member Posts: 4
    Have had my tundra for about a month and have been extreamly pleased. Time will tell as to its future performance and reliability. Hope its better than my 97 Silverado. I put most of the warantee miles on it bringing it back and forth to the dealer. Nice truck-poor quality.

One thing I have noticed with the Tundra is that the exhaust system Y pipe connection seems to choak the exhaust somewhat. Does anyone know of a good after market free flowing system for this truck?
  • insta_gatorinsta_gator Member Posts: 19
    I am contemplating a Borla cat-back system for my 2000 Tundra, 4.7L. I was wondering if any other Tundra owners have added such a modification and what sort of performance improvements they did or did not see. Manufacturer's claim more HI and mileage. Sure to be a bit of hype in that claim but how much? Also, are there any gotcha's to adding the cat-back?

Already added the K&N filter. Seems to add an additional crispness to mid-range acceleration (not that the 4.7L doesn't run like a scalded dog already). Found a great site for Toyota after-market parts. Check out http://www.performanceproducts.com.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Insta_gator
  • insta_gatorinsta_gator Member Posts: 19
    Take a look at http://www.performanceproducts.com

They have a bunch of exhaust add-ons for Tundras.

Insta_gator
  • duckcallerduckcaller Member Posts: 107
    I had a 1990 4Runner that went everywhere in the world... Swamps of Alabama, tank-trails of Germany, autobahns all day at 120 mph - no tire or brake wear to mention, off-road chasing quail in central California, the Beltway of DC, chasing pheasants and ducks in Kansas and back to Alabama for more boat-towing, duck-chasing, swamp-crawling fun. I traded it on a Tundra in 2000 at 96,000 miles and it was still running like new - and the fit and finish were nearly perfect. After pulling countless Chevy and Ford owners out of the mud in my 4Runner - and jump starting them - and driving them to service stations - I will never buy anything but Toyo! I love the new power of the Tundra V-8 but miss the gas mileage of the 4Runner... I'm getting between 13.5 and 15.5 - but I tow a boat and 4 WD quite often. How's your Tundra mileage been?
    I'm glad you like your new Tundra.

I have a Tundra 4X4 V8 access cab, and I have gotten up to 19.5 mpg on the highway. I have found that the Tundra mileage increases as it breaks in. I wouldn't worry too much until you have at least 5000 miles on it.

Some other factors: Oxygenated gas hurts your mileage, Check your tire pressure - I run 32psi front and rear, and put the cruise control on when driving on the highway. ( I know the last suggestion won't work in the city).
  • krj2krj2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info on the aftermarket site. I am familiar with Bola systems and that is a good possibility, and have literature on order. The only concern is that sometimes Bola systems are a little loud, with some annoying midrange sound. I guess you dot know until after it's installed.
    As far as silage goes, I'm averaging around 14.5 with less than 1K miles on truck. Hope it gets better (too bad it doesn't have one more gear for 65 mph + range). With a N filter, free flowing exhaust and synthetic oil I'm hoping for 16.5 to 17 ave. The silver ado 5.7 got 15, so anything above that is a plus.
  • tundrathunder1tundrathunder1 Member Posts: 19
    I bought my 2001 Tundra based on my ex. with 9 previous Toyota's. So far it seems like a good decision. Like the overall quality and looks. Lots of power. Have heard the Tundra's have some teething problem's but haven't experienced them yet. Now if I could just get it to tow like a F-350.
  • tundrathunder1tundrathunder1 Member Posts: 19
    I put a Borla cat back exhaust on my 4.7 and am happy with it with the exception of the drone at between 1900 and 2100 RPMs.Some guys have put extra insulation behind the back seat to dampen the noise. That is a future project for me. If I install it soon I will let you know if it works.As far as an increase in mileage is concerned my experience has not shown it to be a significant increase. Performance maybe a little but would like to run it on a dyno before giving a qualified opinion.
  • tuntoyotuntoyo Member Posts: 2
    Having bought my Tundra SR5 in Nov.2000,& really enjoying the looks,and compliments from others on the truck.Runs great,quick , very solid & rattle free.The only problem was is with the dealer,I wanted the alloy wheels that were on the truck thinking they were the factory alloys,Alas they were not (Manu.by Prime)I found this out when I ordered chrome wheels from ECPlating in Maryland.The wheels the shipped me were the factory alloys.They did work with me & took mine in on the trade out.My past truck were 96 Silerado, 97 Tahoe,98 Expedition,98 4wdNissan xtd cab.none are as nice and as enjoyable as my Tundra
  • charlie55charlie55 Member Posts: 1
    Thinking about buying a V-8 4x4 access cab. What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting?
  • ronlharronlhar Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how the Tundra stock rear end compares with a true limited slip differential. Dealer says it the standard "active track" rear end is very similar, but I can't find any info. I want to get the most out a 2WD and would appreciate any facts or advice.
    The dealer is fibbing. The Tundra has a standard open differential. There is a limited slip differential available from TRD. You can have it installed and still have the balance of your factory warranty in effect.

My suggestion would be to bite the bullet and get a 4WD. There is very little difference in gas mileage, resale will be better, and Toyota is known for its bulletproof drivetrains. Depending on where you live, 4WD can come in very handy sometimes.
    I think Toyota's new SUV - the Sequoia has the active track system. It uses the brakes to control wheel spin. The system applies the brake to the wheel that is spinning which forces some power over to the wheels that have better traction. It uses the same type (open) rear differential as the Tundra. This system was designed to also improve handling, by controling wheel spin when turning. The review I read on it gave mixed results - It does what is is designed to do - but takes control away from the driver.
  • haze10haze10 Member Posts: 2
    What type of differentials are on the tundra 4x4. One sales man told me slip differentials on the SR5, but limited slip on the Limited. Another sales guy said the SR5 had some type of active tracking device to shift power to the loaded wheel.
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    I think it would be better if you got a hold of a brochure. Sounds like the dealers you talk to are misinformed or something.

You can also go to the Toyota website and check out the specs there.
  • haze10haze10 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a detail of what the various option codes include, like, CC = captain chairs.
  • rfox2rfox2 Member Posts: 1
    According to Kelley Blue Book on optional equipment for the 2000 Tundra Access Cab, here are the abbreviations they used:
    CA--Emission Equipment, California
    CQ- Convenience Package*SR 5 w/V-8 Engine Includes Power Windows/Door Lock Package; Dual visor Vanity Mirrors;Lighting Package;Power mirrors; Sliding rear window with privacy pkg and speed control
    CKGuard Package which includes H>D> battery, H>D> starter and anti chip paint
    OF- Off Road Package
    LO- Style Package
    LB-Tonneau Cover/Bed Liner Package
    BL- Bed Liner over rail
    LU-Bed Liner under rail
    AB-Braking System, F&R Anti Lock
    GN- Cargo Net
    CF- Floor Mats
    LF- Fog Lights
    DH-Hitch, Towing Receiver
    DZ- Radio, Delux AM/FM Stereo with CD and Casette
    P5- Radio Equipment, Compact Didc
    RB- Running Boards
    CC- Captain's Chairs
    V3- Security System
    WI- Spare Tire Lock
    BT- Tonneau Cover
    WL- Wheel Locks, Alloy
    WS- Wheel Locks, Steel
    AL- Wheels Cast Aluminum*SR5
    AA- Wheels Cast Aluminum SR5
    AY- Wheels Stamped Aluminum Alloy
    ST- Wheels Styled Steel
    9ZWiring Harness
    They also gave the numbers/letters for the color codes. If you need this, let me know.
  • rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    Gas mileages people have been getting with their Tundras usually ranges from 14-20. I just got back from a trip with my Tundra, and I got 15.6 mpg pulling an implement trailer. My other mileages aren't very good because of the winter warmups I do. 5-10 minutes of idling isn't good for mpg. I'll have to check in summer for a good mpg figure. I've never taken it on a long trip empty yet.
  • toytunonetoytunone Member Posts: 56
    2000 Tundra Limited 4WD TRD ExtCab ABS leather, wood, bedliner, bed bars, captain's chairs, 13000 miles. The Tundra hasn't suffered a recall or problem yet, and I won a free 15K service at the dealer which I will use soon. It is true the truck gets better gas mileage as it ages. I have checked the mileage on every tankful since buying the truck in February, 2000. Through the first 24 fillups it averaged 15.44 mpg, including 2@13s, 5@14s, 12@15s, 4@16s, 1@17s. For the next 21 fillups the average was 16.41 mpg, including 3@14s, 5@15s, 7@16s, 4@17s, 1@18s, 1@19s. My driving wasn't much different, but you can see the difference is about 1 mpg.

I'll add that I do about 5% driving in 4WD on sand or mud, 1% driving pulling my 17 foot boat, about 60% on expressway, 30% town, 4% carrying about 500# load in the bed on top of occupants and luggage.
    Also I have learned you don't have to "floor it" to pass, learned that about 200 miles ago......
    Recall info:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 99V347003

Component: LIGHTING:LAMP OR SOCKET:TAIL LIGHTS
    Manufacturer: TOYOTA MOTOR CO., LTD.
    Mfg. Campaign #: Y01
    Year: 2000
    Make: TOYOTA TRUCK
    Model: TUNDRA
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 16472
    Manufactured From: FEB 1999 To: JUL 1999
    Year of Recall: '99
    Type of Report: Vehicle
    Summary:

Vehicle Description: Sport utility vehicles. The tail light socket may have been improperly molded, resulting in the locking tab having insufficient force to retain the bulb.

If the bulb falls out of the socket, the brake or tail lamp function cannot occur.

Dealers will replace the tail lamp sockets. Owner notification began February 25, 2000. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

BTW, it says '99 but it lists under 2000.
  • toytunonetoytunone Member Posts: 56
    obviously I meant "my Tundra". Since mine was manufactured 01/00 it didn't have that problem or recall. "My Tundra" hasn't had ANY problems or recalls yet. Not "no Tundra". I can't speak for everyone's Tundra. Sorry I wasn't more clear on that one. OK?
    Understood. BTW, you wrote that you won an oil change. How did you do that? Just curious.