Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Purchasing Strategies - Questions & Success Stories

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
Have a question about how to start negotiations or need advice on a particular approach? Do you have a successful strategy that you'd like to share? Start here!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• richk1richk1 Member Posts: 51
    Hi All - I'm getting ready to purchase a new luxury car in the next couple of weeks. After much reading here and on other sites, I think I have my purchasing strategy figured out, but before I put it into action, I wanted to share it with this very knowledgeable group to get your feedback: do you think it will work? can it be improved? should parts be scraped? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Using the manufacturer website to find all dealers within a 100mi radius (not going to use online svcs that solicit quotes for me), I will call each to get the name of the fleet mgr and their fax number. On the morning of 2/21, I will fax each one a very respectful, but business-like letter letting them know that I am accepting bids for this specific car & options through 2/23 and that I WILL be purchasing this month. My ask is for their "all in" price on an in stock model. I'll specify that the bid should be inclusive of all non-finance related costs (dealer prep, doc fees, ADM). My intention is to end up with a mutually beneficial transaction where I get the lowest price possible while the dealer gets a relatively low maintenance sale so they can move product off of their lot and focus their time and efforts on other prospects.

On Thursday 2/24, I’ll then fax each of the responding dealerships again letting them know the (honest) lowest bid that came in and will request one final bid before I decide who to go with and make arrangements to take delivery on the 28th.

Well – what do you think? Does end of the month time frame help me at all? Do you think enough of the 15 dealerships in my radius will respond? Has anyone else done something similar? Do you think I’m I better off finding 3 local dealerships and just putting in the time to play the game and do the dance with them? Thanks!

Rich
  • driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    not to be abrupt, but I think you're wasting your time with the shotgun faxes - first, "fleet" managers handle "fleets" for business owners, not single cars for consumers. Secondly, they get BUNCHES of faxes just like what you're talking about and most get thrown into the round file.

Pick two or three places, preferably close to you, check out their service departments, the attitudes of service and sales personnel, and the attitudes of their customers (big indicator), and go forward in person.
  • asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    When I bought a (non-luxury) car 2 years ago, I found Edmunds' "Contact Dealer for quote" form very helpful. I emailed from a real account (non-AOL/Yahoo/MSN) and included my business and cell phone in the RFQ.

When I received the responses (3 out of 5), I assumed the dealer's attitude was reflected in the salesperson's words and "tone." No response - obviously out. "Come on down we give you best price" - out. "We'll do you a favour by selling you this Accord at $500 off MSRP but the deal is good today only, and, BTW, we charge a couple hundred for dealer prep" - out. The one remaining dealership was straightforward and responsive. I was not disappointed with service experience either.

Faxes (and blast-faxing) is so, ummm, 80s?
  • judejude Member Posts: 1
    Hi to all. First time user from Australia. Love the site.

I have selected vehicle and started doing the rounds to get prices (am getting 4 quotes). I have put this in a table that I am happy for other dealers to look at so that they know what they are up against. My problem is that ALL of them say that they won't be beaten on price. How do I handle this aspect of the negotiation?

I would be grateful if someone would offer words of wisdom.

Thankyou and have a great day.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Ah, but some of the will be beaten on price. Otherwise, you could continue going from dealership to dealership and eventually get the car for free! Do they say they won't be beaten on fees? On financing? Doubt it. Some of these are used to cover up the actual cost to you.

You're going to spend a lot of time going from dealership to dealership if you do it this way. Do you have a favorite dealership among the 4 - does one of them have a better reputation, or come recommended? If so, you can take your 4 quotes straight to that dealership and show them your lowest offer (if they're not the lowest), and let them know you'll buy from them today if they meet or beat that offer.

If you don't have a favorite, go straight to the one with the lowest price, if that's important to you. But be VERY careful indeed. Often the "lowest price" doesn't end up being the lowest - you get stuck with fees and add-ons not quoted in the price, or bad financing.

When you start shopping a low price around, you're really opening the door for a lot of shenanigans that won't, in the end, benefit you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    Typically what I do is to give the dealer that I have had the best past experience with first crack at my buisness. For example, If I am interested in buying a Honda, and I have had good overall dealings with a particular dealer that sells Hondas, I will give them the first shot at my business. However, If I am looking for a Honda, and haven't had any dealing with any Honda dealers, I will go with the dealer that I have heard the best word-of-mouth feedback from my family and friends. The way I see it is that I would rather give my business to the dealer that treats me the best during the buying process, and that I feel like will treat me the best after the sale (ie..service) - even if I end up paying a few hundred dollars more. For me, it isn't worth it to feel like I have been through a 2 hour boxing match at a particular dealer all to save a couple hundred dollars. The only "pearl of wisdom" that I can really offer is that if you are going to buy a car, take the time to get pre approved for a loan thru a credit union or bank before going into a dealership. This makes negotiations a lot easier - plus you already know what kind of an interest rate you should expect. This way you can mainly focus on the price of the vehicle, instead of haggling over a monthly payment. I will always tell the dealership that I have arranged my own financing, but they may try to beat the interest rate if they would like.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Yes, if you shop the price all over town, you'll probably end up feeling like you've been battered by the end of it - and shopping when you're exhausted isn't a good idea.

If you're quoted a super low price that seems too good to be true, it likely is. Check out the new cars page here first, and price out your vehicle so you'll have a ballpark idea of what to expect.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    My thoughts exactly!

From my viewpoint, I am constantly amazed at the pain some people will put themselves through when they buy a car.

Most dealers will round can "blast faxes". We get dozens of these a week usually on the same form letter that must be somewhere on the internet.

It really doesn't have to be a miserable procedure. My advise would be to ask your family, friends and co-workers for a referral. Ask them how well they were treated, hw is the service department, and if they felt the price they paid was reasnoble.

The "fleet manager" is usually just another salesperson with more experience than most. I have often been tempted to ask..." Oh, how many cars will you be needing for your fleet?"

It really doesn't have to be hard. It can even be fun!
    about a 2005 Civic EX...
  • richk1richk1 Member Posts: 51
    "Most dealers will round can "blast faxes". We get dozens of these a week usually on the same form letter that must be somewhere on the internet."

thx for the responses everyone.....i hear what you are saying, and i agree that some dealerships won't want to play this game, but I've got to believe out of 15 dealers, there are 4 or 5 that are willing to trade some profit in exchange for a transaction that will take minimal time, and in order to make this work, I only need a few to play. Am I just blissfully ignorant here?

In any event, based on all the invoice/holdback/rebate info available on the net, I pretty much know the price I'm looking for. If I can't get that price via this method (which is much less time consuming for me than dealer to dealer shopping), I can always go with plan B which is the dealer to dealer dance. I'll let everyone know how it works out.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    >>but I've got to believe out of 15 dealers, there are 4 or 5 that are willing to trade some profit in exchange for a transaction that will take minimal time<<

You will more likely find the worst dealers will be the ones to respond to you ... and you'll generally find that they'll get the money from you in other ways ...
    Exactly - the ones that have turned off so many of their past customers that they now have to continually look for newbies.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Why hasn't bobst chimed in?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    From a dealer standpoint, bobst way of buying essentially gives him all the card and all the power. We like to rib him about it..but with a few twists his method of buying could be a textbook way of dealing with a less than professional dealer.
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    Oregon, I knew that if I didn't respond that one of my many followers would respond for me.

Thanks, Audia. You filled in for me in a commendable manner. You are hearby promoted from the 'Bobst in training' rank to the 'Bobst surrogate' title.

Actually, I am going to try the internet approach in a few weeks. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.
    I think is a good way to go. I bought a car back in 2000, and I knew which dealer I wanted to buy from (I had already purchased a car from them before). I was able to find the specific car I wanted on their web site, contact a salesperson through the email link, and negotiate the sales price in about 30 minutes. I then made an appointment for the following Saturday morning to test drive the car. The nice thing was that I was able to get in and out of the dealership in minimal time since the negotiations had already been done. I imagine this approach might be tough if you were planning on doing a trade-in.
    As I recoup on my day off after a very busy and hectic weekend, I feel compelled to offer a couple of suggestions when buying a car.

These comments are based on several of my recent expereinces and observations.

1. I know I'm going to get blasted for this...but...IF at all possible, find a babysitter! A car dealership really isn't the place for active, demanding toddlers. They aren't happy being there and they usually present a tremendous distraction for all parties.

Yes, I love kids. Same applies to dogs. I'll never understand why some people will bring a dog into a place of business?

2. PLEASE, allow enough time! There is nothing worse than to have a customer take three hours deciding on what they want, working out a deal etc than have them look at their watch and tell us they have to be somewhere in a half hour! If you have time constraints, let us know in advance and we will try or best to streamline things.

Buying a car isn't like buying a pair of shoes. There is a lot of time consuming paperwork involved for one thing.

2. Know what you can afford. If your budget is 20,000, the 30 thousand dollars cars you want to test drive will not fit your budget.

3. Be upfront. If you have had some credit issues in the past, let us know. Often, they aren't as bad as people think they are. If you have a trade-in, let us know. It'll be worth exactly the same now or later.

4. A friendly straightforward posture will go a long way. If you don't receive the same in return, ask for a different salesperson or simply walk out.

I realize these ideas may counter what you read in the "How to buy a Car" guides but they will help make it a more pleasant experience.

Lastly, shop early if possible. People who come in an hour before closing may get rushed through the process.

Hope this helps!

Craig
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,734
    Great advice!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Appreciate that.

It really doesn't have to be painful for either side. It isn't a battle.

Best advise of all I can give is to ask friends and family for a referral. You will be treated like family and leave happy. You probably won't pay any more either!
  • asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    Great advice, IF you are dealing with a professional like most dealers posting here on these boards.

Problem is, not all dealerships are like this; how do you find one? How do you know it when you walk in the door? On the other hand, this straightforward approach probably works best no matter who you buy from...
    Ask people you know for a referral. You can even ask people you don't know. If you are in the market for a new Dodge Caravan and you see someone getting ot of one in a parking lot you can ask them!

" Excuse me...I see you just bought your Caravan from ABC Motors...can I ask you if you would reccommend that store?"

People will usually be happy to share their experiences both good and bad.

Or you can even call the store and ask...

" Which of your long term salespeople would you reccomend? I want someone easy going that isn't pushy"

I get a lot of business that way. :)

Now that isn't always the best way, especially if the person answering the phone is dating the worst salesperson there!
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    Craig,

I think you made several good points , but why would I leave my kids at home? They will be riding in any vehicle that I purchase , so I will need to see how the vehicle functions with the whole family aboard.

I suppose you would need to make the test drive separate from the negotiations.

When we purchased our Chrysler T&C 2 years ago I went in ready with what I felt was a fair price and was ready to deal that night. After my wife gave the van the Ok after the test drive I gave them my offer.

Well, 2 hours later the deal is not done. The kids loved climbing all over the Jeaps while we waited.

We left with no deal. Sales manager call that night and gives us another offer. Still not good enough. Finally he calls me the next day at work, and offer $200 more than my original offer.I accepted it because I like the green pea salesman we were working with.

I just think that if dealerships wanted to they could speed up the process.

Next time you are right we will be keeping test drive and negotiations seperate. Lesson learned.

It just should not have to be so hard.
    Buying a car is not that hard if you know what you are doing.
    Please EAT before you come in. Especially if your plan is to grind us for the last possible dollar and ESPECIALLY if you bring your kids!

guss, it doesn't have to be that hard but if you are absolutely determined to wring out the last possible dollar be prepared to spend some extra time!
    but when they were 3 and 4, I wouldn't take them to a nice restaurant, out of respect for the other patrons and the wait staff. I wouldn't take them into the bank when doing a home loan, or even when I got a haircut, esssentially making someone else watch them while I was busy.

It's very important to see if kids fit a vehicle, no doubt, but as parents, we should know how big our kids are, and maybe bring a stroller or car seat to make sure the trunk and rear seats work for you.

My biggest peeve about kids is that when mommy and daddy and negotiating and signg up for a $30,000 vehicle, mommy and daddy need to be paying attention - it shouldn't take 10 attempts to make a car deal happen, but if junior has all of your attention, it likely will.

I love my kids, but they don't belong in the middle of a business transaction, even as (now) teenagers. Get a sitter, or grandma, or drop them off at the movies.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    I have learned to do my preparation here online. Saves a lot of time at the negotiation table(or desk).

Alot of great information to be learned from the regulars that post here.

Of course I don't expect anyone to watch my kids when I am out. They are well mannered enough to sit there while I sign a few papers.

I disagree about not bringing them to a test drive. I am 6'6 . I put the seat all the way back. With car seats kids sit up higher. Guess where their little feat end up? Right in the middle of my back.

There is no substitute for them actually being in the car and testing it out in real world conditions.
    Just don't bring your dogs for the same reason! :)
  • manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    I think there is some advantage of having the kid on a test drive. However, after the test drive, there is no reason to have the kids there. Instead, the kids should be taken home or to a sitter.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I dunno guys... I've bought four new cars, from four different dealerships, and never sat around for more than 20 minutes "negotiating". Even when we couldn't put it together. I'm no bobst, but you can get a "no" pretty quick, especially if you are polite about it and don't burn any bridges.

Secondly, of course you want the kids on the test drive, but that's another twenty minutes, big deal. My daughter doesn't whine, and she can be quiet for a half hour or less.

Thirdly, I've never picked up a car the same day that the price was set. And by that I mean either OTD price, or "so much plus TTL". Never been jerked around on the math, either.

Sometimes I test drive in June and buy in January... on my Sienna, I kept waiting for the end of the model run, and when the deals got really good, I went back and picked out my car. The salesman kept tabs, so he was suprised there was half a year between test drive and purchase, but he just kinda shrugged it off... sold is sold. And I always drive the specific car I'm buying; once around a long block is enough if I know the model.

Another thing to consider is, go for the test drive, keep the salesman's card, and then go back to him or her... the good ones appreciate it, and they get the message you're not jerking them around, and when there's a sale, it'll be their sale. I think that makes a big difference in the amount of pressure.

If you can keep your dealership visits short, you don't have to worry about half the points in isell's advice. And I agree: most people make it way too painful.

-Mathias
    because people are informed and/or unreasonable, perahps on both sides of the table.

A college friend of my oldest son's tagged my son into helping him look at a used Mitsubishi Eclipse yesterday that his girlfriend and her father would be ultimately buying. The kid haggled his hardest with the salesman at the mom and pop store; offered HALF of what was on the sticker, because that's what his dad taught him; ground on the guy for an hour, nitpicking every little scratch on the car, royally made the sales guy mad.

The girl dropped in, started in on the guy again, something about window tint.

The girl's dad stopped by yesterday afternoon, almost got into a fight over the price.

The girl's dad called me last night. I asked if he had looked up to see what the car was worth. He said "Well....no."

The boy (19), the girl, and the dad, spent nearly 4 hours (total) beating up a sales guy, and they didn't take 3 minutes to check out NADA or Kelley to have some clue what the car was even worth, so they could make a reasonable, legitimate offer.

I can't imagine having that kind of time to waste.
    What kind of sales manager lets customers waste 4 hours of a salesperson's time?
    and some others in the business - the salesman is basically a private contractor - unless it's a Saturday and there are more customers to he taken car of, many managers will let the salesperson spend as much time as they need. If a salesperson wants to waste 4 hours with someone who isn't even buying the car...they must not be a very good salesman, though.

If the salesman in question was smarter than a bag of hammers, he would have never engaged the "boyfriend" in conversation, given a minimal, but respectful amount of tiume to the daughter, and concentrated on getting dad and daughter in place to check out the car, get reaction, and talk numbers.
    For some reason these things seem to attract certain types of customers.
    Since I buy most of my cars from leasing companies at the end of the lease, It has been a few years since I have really had to go "nose to nose" with a dealer for a vehicle.

I agree with Mathias on one point. You know what the car is worth roughly when you walk into the dealership. The sales manager (or salesman) knows what he has to sell the car for to make a reasonable profit. In a perfect world, the numbers are pretty close and you get the deal in 20-30 minutes.

Occasionally, a dealer will have more money in a car than he should have and won't be able to make a deal. At that point, I thank them for the time and leave. I have done this on occasion even to my favorite salesmen. On occasion, they have called me at a later date to see if I was still interested. Sometimes we can make a deal, other times not.

However, on a couple of occasions, we have had to deal with salesmen who do not respect informed buyers. I can argue 2-3 hour for a deal if it is necessary. However, in my old age, I have begun to realize that there are 10,000 cars in the big city and it is not worth the stomach lining.
    Sometimes the reality of the market does not reflect what the "informed buyer" "knows" what the car is worth.

But, after shopping all over without success, the shopper usually comes to grips with this.

This is why I'm alsway so nice to them when they leave without a car. I make it clear that I'm not going to say " I told you so".
    You are right, sometimes the "informed" buyer is wrong about what the market is.

On the other hand, I have had the experience where I leave a dealership who has stated "you'll never find it for less" just to go down the street and find it for less.
    And, by the same token I have had cars snapped up by buyers who have searched long and hard for a certain car at a good price that were passed over by someone else who thought the price was too high.

And, I have to admit, I find a certain pleasure when the people who walked, return after shopping all over to find the car they really wanted was sold an hour before to someone else who recognized the value.

Works both ways...
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    As I recoup on my day off after a very busy and hectic weekend, I feel compelled to offer a couple of suggestions when buying a car.

These comments are based on several of my recent expereinces and observations.

1. I know I'm going to get blasted for this...but...IF at all possible, find a babysitter! A car dealership really isn't the place for active, demanding toddlers. They aren't happy being there and they usually present a tremendous distraction for all parties.

Yes, I love kids. Same applies to dogs. I'll never understand why some people will bring a dog into a place of business?

2. PLEASE, allow enough time! There is nothing worse than to have a customer take three hours deciding on what they want, working out a deal etc than have them look at their watch and tell us they have to be somewhere in a half hour! If you have time constraints, let us know in advance and we will try or best to streamline things.

Buying a car isn't like buying a pair of shoes. There is a lot of time consuming paperwork involved for one thing.

2. Know what you can afford. If your budget is 20,000, the 30 thousand dollars cars you want to test drive will not fit your budget.

3. Be upfront. If you have had some credit issues in the past, let us know. Often, they aren't as bad as people think they are. If you have a trade-in, let us know. It'll be worth exactly the same now or later.

4. A friendly straightforward posture will go a long way. If you don't receive the same in return, ask for a different salesperson or simply walk out.

I realize these ideas may counter what you read in the "How to buy a Car" guides but they will help make it a more pleasant experience.

Lastly, shop early if possible. People who come in an hour before closing may get rushed through the process.

Hope this helps!

Craig

==============================

You are my Hero ~ Great post.!

Terry.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ........ The one thing that gets forgotten the most ... 70/80% of the consumers are not as smart and informed as you, or Mathias, or even Bobst ..

You guys know what a payoff is, and how it effects the final figures, you know that your $6,500 vehicle is not worth $9,000, you know how rates effect payments and you understand that - and you would know a good deal if you saw one .. most don't ..

Some partners and myself are getting ready for the Miami Boat show .. nothing will change, most will owe more on their current boat than the value, most will shop dealers on a step-down - meaning, they will start at the $100,000 big critters and leave the show in a $35,000 ski boat when a dealer finally hits "their" payment, most will have little or no money down and most will have read a few articles, but studied nothing ...... hmmm, sounds like the car biz ................ ;))

Terry.
    I have been thinking of replacing my '02 Camry with a sports wagon for a while. I like the Legacy GT, but 31K is a little much more me right now (and the local dealer is instisting that MSRP is a fair value when driving 60 miles gets me the car for Invoice.).

So, I am loking at the Mazda6 as a comparison. Accoring to edmunds and other sources, they go for invoice minus incetives (currently 2500). So, I went to the dealership yesterday in the late morning. I drove one, and was impressed. I was upfront about my timetable: after I get the amount of my anual raise, which is in 3 weeks.

I told him what I was comparing the car too. On the drive, he asked me what I thought, and I told him that honestly I liked the Subie a little better, but maybe not 7K better.

I have not bought the car. I did not really discuss price. Before making a decision, I would like to get an idea if my price guideline is reasonable. Do you think a reasonable approach would be to email my sales person to 1) thank him for the time, and 2) ask him to find out if invoice - incentives is a good price guideline?

(MSRP on the car is about 28,000; Invoice, 25,000, incentives 2500, or end price around 22,500). I am thinking by putting it in the general terms of invoice minus incentives, I am not asking them to give me a number.

Or am I setting my self up for a lowball?

Thanks!
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    If you are working with the Mazda dealer that is located closest to your place of work, be prepared for anything. They use every trick in the book, and some that are not in the book.

BTW, be prepared to pay $900 for the &#147;Protection Package&#148; since every car on their lot has that package already installed and &#147;every Mazda Nissan dealer in the country does that&#148;.
    I have two offices, one in Arlington (Ballston), and one in Tysons. I am working with the Arlington dealer. I did mention the Fitzmall in anapolis, but that I did not want go that far to buy a car.
    ........ The one thing that gets forgotten the most ... 70/80% of the consumers are not as smart and informed as you, or Mathias, or even Bobst ..

The first time I ever participated in a message board was CompuServe's old Travel Forum. Occasionally, we would have a big get together in Las Vegas. I had the opportunity to meet a number of professional poker players, 10 years before the big craze.

They told me that there were two ways to learn how to play winning poker. The first was to run to a certain bookstore in Las Vegas, drop $300, get all the books from the masters and study them for a year or two. The second was to come down some Saturday night and they would "teach" me.

On any major purchase, you have two choices. Do your homework (significant cost in time) or you'll pay more. Period.
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    I was talking about the Tysons dealer. Come to think of it, the Arlington Mazda dealer is owned by same group that starts with an "R".
    I don't think you are setting yourself up for a lowball. You are setting yourself up for an evasive answer. That is, no answer at all.

Are you willing to pay $22500 for a Mazda? If so, then go to the dealer and make an offer. It only takes a couple minutes.

If they refuse, then leave and think of a new plan.

I mean , this is pretty simple. It ain't nearly as hard as modifying a computer program.
  • jeff petronejeff petrone Member Posts: 8
    You should really decide on the car you want first. You will regret getting a "better deal" if you are unhappy with the performance of the vehicle. Once you decide on a model, decide on specifics that will satisfy you. Then make sure that vehicle is in stock at the dealer you are talking to or that it is easily accessible (they can do this without a deposit). Once you establish these things, it is much easier to negotiate. Go based on the TMV and then come in a little under that. You have much more leverage at the end of the month due to manufacturers bonuses for the dealers based upon volume.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    deal second is important IMO. I love when you see the postings from people along these lines: "I sent to buy the Xyzmobile of my dreams, but the salesman smelled so I bought a Yugo because they had free coffee and it was $10/less per month".

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

It is not quite that simple...If I am happy with both, then the money becomes a factor. I like both cars....I think I like the Subie a little better. But it is a lot more money. If moeny did not matter, I would just buy the Audo S6 and be done with it.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Yeah, you have to set your budget first and then only look at cars that fall within it. Otherwise you're just teasing yourself.
  • cadillacmikecadillacmike Member Posts: 543
    Especially a FORTRAN program!

If you already have a number, why waste your own time.
This discussion has been closed.