Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

Comments

• frazeefrazee Member Posts: 90
    With regard to the auto light sensor, it is on the forward part of the dash (reference 1-82 in Azera Owner's booklet) and discussses either covering or window tint impact. The rain sensor is located at the top of where the rear view mirror is (but that should not be impacted by tint??)
  • davididavidi Member Posts: 4
    When driving at night on a limited access four lane highway I prefer to set my cruise and turn off my instrument panel lights. I have found that my rheostat does not completely extinguish my panel lights. My question: Can you completely blacken your instrument panel? If you can then I have a faulty switch and if not then I will have to contend with a dimmed but not black panel.
    As an aside I also found that my remote hanging from the key ring knocked against the dash. I solved it by buying a two dollar ring/coupling that allows me to release the key quickly and I put the remote in my pocket.
  • w0bymagnusw0bymagnus Member Posts: 19
    Hey I was wondering how the Azera handled with road & wind noise at 55mph-85mph? One of my main concerns when buying a car is the road & wind noise? It shows how well the car is put together plus I can't stand talking over noise.
  • jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    Hot dam, they live, they live... actually saw another Azera on the road today, black with light grey leather. One at a time and shazam before long there will be many more ;) .

Has anyone noticed how many Hyundai's are out there? It seems that every time I turn around I see another, than another, than another, all the models. :shades:
    My dealer was kind enough to "throw in" the port-installed wind-deflector for the sunroof/moonroof. Based on this thread it would appear that this is the source of considerable wind noise 55-85 and YES...I do get the wind noise and do intend to have my deflector removed at the first service interval. I still have mine on so cannot comment on the car without the deflector.....so perhaps someone who does not have one, or who has had it removed can comment. Also, this car is clearly the quietest car at idle I have ever had....but you do pick up reasonable road noise as you move on....(more like a BMW than a Lexus in that regard!)
  • druckodrucko Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy an Azera. Have a wheelchair that has to fit in the trunk. Will I have a problem?
  • chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    These wind deflectors remove very easily. Open sunroof, remove two phillips head screws and remove deflector and two clips. The car looks much better without IMHO.
  • ricwhitericwhite Member Posts: 292
    When I went to pick up my Azera, the wind deflector was not installed -- which was what I wanted. But after it was washed and detailed, I saw the service tech climbing up there and -- sure enough -- he was installing the deflector. When he saw me coming he was just wiping some prints off of it.

"Got the deflector on for you, sir," he said.

"I'm sorry," I said. "Will you remove it, please?"

"Excuse me?"

"I don't want it. It looks tacky and it makes wind noise at high speeds," I explained.

The manager walked up as I was saying this and he was nodding his head. "I agree fully," he said. "It probably the only part on the car I don't like."

-----

So far, the Azera has run very well. I updated insurance today and the leasing terms requires higher coverage than on my last car, so I'm paying slightly higher premiums. But I figured I probably would.

AMICA Insurance: about $800/yr.

----

Haven't quite figured out what gasoline would be best to use yet. The manual lists 87 octane as the most efficient for the engine, yet regular here in Utah is 85 octane. When I asked the sales rep if mid-grade 87 octane would be better, he had no idea. I'm not sure about this one yet.

----

I'm getting windows tinted tomorrow. Most recommend 20% (light passage)on the rear and 50% (legal darkness limit in Utah) on the front. I don't know if I want to go that dark. It's already hard to see out back at night. Any suggestions? I was thinking 30% rear and 60% front to let a little more light through, but I have NO experience at all with tinting. Also, I'm nervous putting tint over the rear-heating coils on the back window. Should I worry?

My reasons for tinting are that it would improve the looks of the vehicle and, also, it would reduce the sun heat on the black interior in the summer. But I'm still nervous.

Does tinting increase the liklihood of police attention?

Enough for now. Great car so far. Quite an upgrade over my 2000 Passat, but It'll take me a while to get used to the larger size. Passat was a little more "nimble."
    Drucko,

The trunk with the rear seats folded down is big enough to sleep in. :) a wheel chair or two should fit into the trunk without a problem, less of course lifting it over the bumper is a problem :confuse:

Go to a dealer, give it a try.
    Ric, tint over the defroster elements should not be a problem, make sure to ask the tinting shop when you get there to get their spin on the question.

I live in FL, and my windows are tinted as dark as legally possible and that's the only way I would go.

The rear view mirror self darkens so if you leave the shade up at night or down it will have impact on seeing out the back, it will take time to adjust to but you can do it.
    Signed up at www.hmaservice.com and printed out a bunch of TSBs to bring with me to the dealer should any of the situations arise, as it is clear that the service departments do not keep up with the Azera yet. Two minor ones of note, since you might try these yourself, relate to the caution on what position the driver's side wiper arm should be at for "service" (change of blade etc.) and the other talks to a mistake that an initial TSB made with regard to removing the shift lever (old bulletin treated it as a screw-on, when it is a C-clip should you want to mod your lever!!) fyi
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    1872 of 1914 Re: Window film. 2005 XG350L in January of 2006 [bomar60] by averigejoe Jan 13, 2006 (7:48 am)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: bomar60 (Jan 12, 2006 4:07 pm)

If you don't want anyone seeing who is in your car, then get the darkest film you can get. But safety will be compromised when driving.
    Winding mountain road at night... you can't see out your side window because of the dark tint. I had to roll mine down despite the cold and mine are not even very dark. Also, any time at night vision is severely reduced when looking through the dark tint.
    Your standard window glass is tinted already, reducing light transmission by about 20% or so. Add film and you are really cutting down your vision, maybe way too much.
    The only reason I have medium dark tint on my car is because it was already on it when I bought the car. Otherwise, I would have taken it to a place and had the highest light transmission, all metal (except for the polyester film of course), high heat rejection film installed.
    I wish dealers would not install it before the sale. It is time consuming and/or expensive to remove it. Removal costs more than installation.
    Check some window film websites.
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    I had my windows done @ a 35% metalized film. The solar glass on these cars (as mentioned) is a significant head start on shading. Go with a dark film and you'll be shocked at how dark the effect is. I took delivery on mine with the sunroof deflector installed and knew it was the noise maker. Fortunately, mine was not installed using double-face tape on the gasket, so it was a breeze to remove. I've added an aftermarket wood dash kit that's almost over the top, but I'm getting to like it (ES330ish.)
    My dealer says mud guards aren't yet available, but I've ordered them from Hyundaiparts.net (I think) and they're on the way. I'm truly enjoying this car, and I too have started to see one or two more each day on the road here in Albuquerque. That advertising campaign can't be cheap, good thing it's working! BTW mine is sage green and the metalized film used on the windows actually looks remarkably close in hue to the paint color. It's an interesting look. :)
    I'm sure I haven't looked everywhere possible, but I can't find out about the bumpers on the AZERA. Are they 5 MPH or only 2.5 MPH like the majority of manufacturers? KIA seems to have the most 5 MPH rated bumpers on their cars, but it wouldn't have changed my mind on the deal. I would however like to know.
    'Little help?
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    ...is trivial, no matter what anyone has told you. Simply remove it with a window-scraper (like they use to remove yearly safety stickers) and use formula 409 or similar to remove the sticky mess left behind. Had to do it to my wife's truck!
    Almost all of us I'd wager, have defogger elements on the interior surface of the back glass. It is NOT so simple to remove window film from that unless you are satisfied with a defogger that will not work because of the multiple nicks and cuts and bare spots you WILL end up with after using a sharp razor blade to remove the film.
    Also, if you have ever tried (I have) to remove OLD film after baking in the desert sun for a few years, you'll find it VERY difficult to remove. The bond becomes much stronger after baking for so long. And the only solvent I found which would remove the residue after that time, was lacquer thinner. And that is very damaging to upholstery and plastic and painted surfaces you might slop it onto. Old film is nasty stuff to remove.
    That said, maybe some brands are easier to remove than others. I've removed several, and none were simple.
    Good luck.
    Yep - you're right for that specific case. Many are actually embedded in the glass, though. If you have that partcicular scenario, I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself unless you are very patient and very maticulous. (sp?) ;)
    Try a hair gun to heat the tint, use a plastic scraper, not steel to scrape and remove. Once you have it started a little water can be sprayed/misted.
    If there are wires inside the glass, they are antenna wires for the radio, not defogger wires. I've never seen a defogger wire inside the glass. Defoggers are fired onto the interior surface of the glass and not designed to be removable, but they are very easily damaged by sharp insturments.
    If you had a car or truck with the defogger wires actually inside the glass, I'm interested. What was the year, make and model of the vehicle?
    Sorry, got called away before I could finish #1333.

Window tint is a polymer film and adhesion to glass is through water and polymer interface adhered by squeegee pressure. Simply stated, the water, polymer interface bonds the material to glass. Heat guns and/or hair dryers are used to shrink and remove 'small wrinkles and ghosts' and loosen tint from windows.
    Misting water onto the window above the tint you have started to peel will help the heat and water to loosen the film.

Or you can call your local tint shop and ask how they do it, they might tell you.
    A pickup truck is the easiest vehicle when it comes to window film installation and/or removal.
    In trucks, the glass which is to be tinted is almost always flat, nearly vertical and is usually a simple rectangle in shape too. Cars, on the other hand, have back glass which is acutely angled with compound curves and irregular shapes. The side glass too is often irregularly shaped and may have compound curves.
    Also, the hottest rays of the sun strike the back glass of cars at close to right angles during mid-day. This causes a greater build up of heat in the film tinted glass which tends to bake it on and harden the film. In a truck, because the glass is nearly vertical, it never really gets the hot rays hitting it at anything near a right angle. A truck's film tinted glass does not get so hot as a car's back glass.
    You're right. I didn't think about it, but the rear window was factory tinted, and I didn't have any film to remove from that part. Her truck doesn't have a defroster in the rear window, because it is darned near vertical. Now that I think about it, all I had to do was remove the film from the front windows - I think Blazers have the rear windows permanently deep tinted as well. This is the "work/fish" vehicle for the household.

I looked, and - yep - both my Lexus and her Infiniti have the antenna embedded in the window, but the defroster is a thin grid of lines on the inside of the glass.

My bad folks! I remember this because after about five years the non factory-installed film began to 'craze' on the front windows and I had to remove it because it became difficult to see through after sitting in the 100^ heat one summer day here in South Carolina. As others have commented, heat helps, but except for the rear window, I would just use a scaper to remove the stuff - it's elusive at best depending on the manufacturer I suppose, but I found water, Windex, alcohol and ammonia all were totally useless in releasing the bond...

Getting the film itself off is just half the problem: in my case it was two-layers and there was a sticky mess underneath left by the glue or whatever it is that makes it stick! :cry:
  • cneumancneuman Member Posts: 55
    mechanic80
    Please share more details. Is the aftermarket wood dash you had installed, real or fake wood? How does it fit in with the existing fake wood in the Azera? Where did you purchase the kit? What was the price of the kit and install? Also what was the price of the mud guards and install? Are the mud gaurds black or color coded to the car? I know this is a lot of questions, but these two things are exactly the same things I'd be interested in doing.
    Thanks for whatever help you can give.

cn
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    Has anyone found a wood trim kit and painted mud guards for Azera?
    If so,where, and at what price?
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Yesterday I went to test drive an Azera but I changed my mind when I saw the car up close and personal. To a person moving up from a Sonata (pre-2005) or an Impala the Azera is probably a good choice but for me moving from an Avalon to an Azera is a BIG step down.

No hard feelings folks but the Sonata appears to be a better value than the Azera. There is nothing in the Azera that stands out to make you feel that your money was well spent. Not bashing, just telling it like it is!
  • philipbphilipb Member Posts: 9
    Just picked up our new blue Azera Limited, Mar 8, and like it really well so far, except on our dark rural roads where the too-bright instrument panel lights affect night vision, they also cannot be turned off at all. This is sort of a safety issue, so hope Hyundai comes out with a new rheostat thumb-wheel ASAP. Also, it seems the headlights are not quite bright enough when on dim; I think they may be aimed a little low, but these new projector-type lights seem quite sensitive to front-end car movements.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    Where were you able to find trim kit? I've contacted many web sites and have been ubable to locate kit for Azera. Are mud guards color matched or black?
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    I agree with you that the Azera is a step above the Sonata and is meant to be that way. However, is it really that big a step down from the Avalon? I saw both vehicles and I don't think the Avalon as being that appealing. I don't think the Azera is drop dead gorgeous either, but it looks better than the Avalon. It's not like you're comparing a Bently to a Hyundai.

I also agree that the Sonata is a better deal than the Azera. But I would also contend that Sonata is a far better deal than the Avalon. I would also go so far as to say that the Azera is a better deal (on paper) than the Avalon.

I don't exactly know what your point in your post was about. If you're talking about bang for the buck then Sonata wins. If you're talking about refinement, prestige, and not considering your budget, why stop with a Toyota? There are far better vehicles that could separate you from the bunch.

my 2cents.
  • delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    Kingsalmon that was an excellent post in response to bwia's comment regarding the Avalon compared to Azera. Having seen both vehicles back-to-back I believe that both vehicles have their good points and are packaged very well. Taste on the other hand is quite subjective.
    Dash trim can be found at dashtrims.com ($225.00 and free freight) it's synthethetic and the rosewood color matches very nicely. A schematic is shown on the website so you can see what it covers (lots!) The console pieces really make a huge impact. I installed it myself. I've done several other cars in the past. Generally it's not difficult, but there are a few large pieces that are a bit tricky in this kit, and a mistake ruins the "kit" as pieces are usually not available separately. A shop that does pin striping and such could probably do the job for you, but I have no idea what they'd charge. If Albuquerque is close (yeah, right) contact me and I'd do it for some reasonable fee to be determined.
    The mud guards I found at HyundaiParts.net (with freight, $48 and some change, front and rears) are black molded plastic and come with hardware. I'm sure the wheels will have to be removed to install, as there's little clearance, but that's the only thing that you'd have to grunt about. I'm liking the dash kit more every day. I may try to post a photo of the dash. It IS very ES330-like. Keep those cards and letters comin' in, folks! :)
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    to me avalon is ugly much like solara. and not a big fan of it's interior. i'll take azera and save 5 grand.

and no way it's a 'big step' down. azera hold its own very well compared to avalon. hyundai is not toyota yet, but it's getting there.
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    I find the Avalon better looking than the Azera. The Azera reminds me of the Mazda Millenia in the front and a Saturn L300 in the back. I do like the Azera's value. For 25-30K its an excellent buy. However, I'm still not ready to shell out 30K plus for a Hyundai and that is why its good that the car tops off at 30K.
    Not sure posts like that have any substance except to upset people but since you asked:
    Consumer reports has indicated in its current issue by ratings etc. that the new Avalon is THE least "reliable" Toyota car products. It has an "average" rating. (albeit they still "recommend" it based on its class and attributes) My guess is that the Azera will exceed the Avalon's initial and long-run reliability and have a lower cost of ownership (EXCLUDING DEPRECIATION) given the number of so-far positive experiences being shared on this board and Hyundai's focus on initial and sustained quality. Also, the Avalon does not come (IN ANY MODEL) with an electrically adjustable tilt/telescope steering wheel, nor does it have an EZ out feature which are important points to certain buyers. Don't know if it has fold-down rear seats. Each buyer has their own criteria and I would not "slam" an Avalon because someone may like its styling or feel that the interior design and touches are nicer (taste...since they have the same plastic wood...) or because you CAN get a Nav and Blue Tooth on the Avalon. Personally, I don't think one would go seriously astray with either car. It will be interesting to see what Consumer's full review is in the future, but their summary review in the auto issue seems quite upbeat. :)

Windows were tinted yesterday -- 20% on rear and 50% on front (legal limit). Looks good.

I looked at the Avalon before purchasing the Azera. There were many common features. The Avalon's engine appeared stronger and more efficient. But, personally, I just didn't like the styling. In fact, that and the price knocked the Avalon out. There were a few other factors as well. I read reports of some reliability problems. Owners generally were rating the Avalon lower than previous models and lower than new Azera owners.

The Azera for me had better styling. The features for the price were very good. No, it's not the fastest or most fuel efficient car in its class, but it's competitive. The other features, however, make up for that slight shortcoming.

I'd admit that the Avalon and Azera are very close. But I'm glad I went with the Azera. Certainly somebody can say that the Azera is a step down over the Avalon, but that is based upon subjective measures and that's fine. To each his own. For me, the Azera fits the bill.

BTW, the splashguards look like they only come in black. See link.

Splash Guards

In case you're interested, I have an Azera sunroof wind deflector for sale for only $45 plus shipping. (yes, this is a joke).
  • plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    ricwhite - from one Utahan to another, that's a da*n good looking ride :D But, I'm afraid that my wife won't hear of a black auto, not to mention a black interior :(
  • davididavidi Member Posts: 4
    Thank you and you most likely have answered my question. See item 1317. Think my next move will be an inquiry direct to Hyundai.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    except on our dark rural roads where the too-bright instrument panel lights affect night vision

There's no button that adjusts the brightness?
    I also found my Accord's instrument panel was too bright at night. So I adjusted it to the desired setting. It isn't glaring anymore.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I finally saw an Azera SE today at the Greater Twin Cities Auto Show. Hyundai had one of the better displays there, with all of their current vehicles in good number plus three near-term future vehicles: the Accent SE, the Entourage, and the '07 Santa Fe.

And they had an Azera SE! In purple! Now, I don't know if they did this on purpose because this is Minnesota Vikings country, but purple is not the color I would choose for this car. It was quite, uh, striking, however. (Maybe they had the SE to show off because no one would buy it!) The cloth interior was light tan and had an interesting texture. At first sight I thought it looked cheap. Then I saw that it had a suede-like texture, almost like a microfiber, and it had a perforated pattern in the centers of the cushions. It also seemed very durable. Otherwise the interior looked about the same as the Limited except there is no woodgrain on the door handles.

One thing I noticed is that the rear seat didn't seem to have much if any more legroom than the Sonata. So if you are choosing between the Sonata and the Azera for passenger room, that may not be the best reason.

The car had five-spoke alloys that were not as rich looking as the Limited's alloys but were OK and a little sportier-looking than those on the Limited.

The nicest thing about the car was its price. There were no options except mats (strange that there should be a charge for floormats on a car like this, but I digress). The list price was just over $25k including destination. With a rebate or two and a little discounting, this is in the same ballpark as an Accord EX 4-cylinder or an Accord LX V6, or a Camry LE V6. That is, it's a lot of car for the money.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Backy,

Did you get a good look at the 07 Santa Fe? I am interested in looking at it when it comes out and would like to know what you might think of it?
    There IS an intrument dimmer dial on the Azera, however it only dims it about 25% or so -- which appears not enought for some. They need to upgrade (recalibrate or program) it to dim more than it currently does.
  • cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    I read a new release a few months ago about Azera. Its chief engineer said that Azera was designed to receive all five stars in the government crash test and all GOODs in the IIHS crash test.
    That is good. But I have a feeling that Hyundai designed the Sonata to get all Good's in the IIHS tests too. :( But since the Sonata almost made it, maybe the heavier Azera will ace it.
    I did look at the '07 Santa Fe, at the Chicago Auto Show--actually got to sit in it. I thought it was a big improvement, very nice exterior and dash. But I was disappointed in the 2nd row (seat cushion seemed too flat, not enough thigh support) and the 3rd row was definitely for small people only.

But this being the Azera discussion, "that's all I have to say about that."
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    One thing I noticed is that the rear seat didn't seem to have much if any more legroom than the Sonata.

I sat in the back of an Azera when looking at it a while back, I seem to have fit rather comfortable in it. I will admit that i never sat in the back of the Sonata. Now I am around 6 foot 4 and with the Azeras front seat in a comfortable position for me I sat in the back with ease.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Rear legrooms for both the Azera and Sonata are very spacious, I found. The first time I sat in the back seat of the Sonata, it defn. took me by surprise how far I can stretch, as compared to other midsize sedans [thus classified in the large sedan category makes sense].

Azera, of course, is even more spacious and comfortable :)
    Here are the numbers... S=Sonata, A=Azera, D=Difference

Head room (in.) front/rear
    S 40.1/38.2
    A 40.2/38.2 +/
    D 00.1/00.0

Leg room (in.) front/rear
    S 43.7/37.4
    A 43.7/38.2 /+
    D 00.0/00.8

Shoulder room (in.) front/rear
    S 57.4/56.9
    A 57.9/57.1 +/+
    D 00.5/00.2

Hip room (in.) front/rear
    S 55.5/55.3
    A 55.5/55.1 /-
    D 00.0/00.2

Cargo volume (cu. ft.) (trunk)
    S 16.3
    A 16.6 +
    D 00.3

Passenger volume (cu. ft.)
    S 105.4
    A 106.9 +
    D 001.5

EPA size classification
    S large car
    A large car

Honestly, I think interior dimensions for the S or A is a wash, but, ease of access to rear seats (getting in and out) for those who care, and if you compare these numbers to the other models, Avalon, Acura, etc., Azera wins hands down, the others are smaller.

Hope this helps resolve those questions.
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    Sorry to butt in, but I looked at an ES330 a few months back and yes, their pricing is attractive now, that is becasue it is dated and in its last model year before major refresh. When the current gen came out good luck finding one at a price less than $35 with minimal options. In Decemebr they were offering same car to me for $31K before we even started negotiating. Let's see what the 07 ES350 goes for, my guess is you won't be able to touch one for less then $35k and most will probably go for close to $40k. I wanted an Azera, but they were scarce and I am reluctant to buy year one car andwithout factory Sat radio I will wait.
  • tinydog1tinydog1 Member Posts: 83
    What color is your interior? Do you have the light or dark colored wood trim ? I found a dash kit at exoticwooddash.com but it was only available with a brushed aluminum finish. I personally thought it looked awful.
  • chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    I haven't seen this mentioned on this board but the Azera comes standard with solar glass. Also, we just burned through our first tank of gas (mixed city/hwy) and averaged 18 mpg. I have been keeping my foot out of it also during break-in period. Otherwise, a real pleasure to drive. Solid and quiet, no rattles, squeaks, shimmies or shakes. We have the Ultimate pkg. No problems. Very well put together.
  • adityagadityag Member Posts: 19
    I have tried to find this answer before: What exactly is a solar glass? What is the difference from a regular glass?