Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    My method for buying the Tundra for invoice (the 36mos. 0%APR was just gravy) was going directly to the sales manager with my Edmund's vehicle worksheet. I customized the truck I wanted and just showed him the sheet. His numbers matched the Edmunds numbers exactly. He just went into the computer and found the truck I wanted, the deal took 15 minutes. The hard part is I have to wait two more weeks for my truck!
  • stevegriffinstevegriffin Member Posts: 1
    hutch7 I am also looking at Tundras in Atlanta.
    The best price am I finding is Edmunds invoice +
    S/E Admin Fee (~$550) + Doc Fee(~ $300). Did you
    pay all these fees or did you pay invoice + 2% dealer hold back + No Doc fees? Thanks
  • hannah11hannah11 Member Posts: 2
    I'll be sure and give Kevin Wheat a call in Roswell. I have been all over, 'cept there.
    I appreciate the big clue.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Any body have a Tundra V-6 X-Cab 4X4 5-Spd manual supercharged truck. Want to know what you think about the setup with the 5-Spd.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Another V8 is coming soon, a 5.4 liter.

V6 will increase to 3.7 liter.

In 2005: the redesign year;
    extended cab long-bed
    crew cabs
    duallys
    3/4 and 1 tons with solid front suspension
    a diesel
    V8 with a manual

Preparation for 2005:
    Explain to toyota salesman what a dually is used for or any heavy duty for that matter.

Explain what towing restrictions mean.

Teach service department how to work on such a truck.

Build separate facilities just for trucks at the dealerships.
  • 2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
  • 2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
    So apparently there may be a new Tundra to try to keep up with the new Dakota when it comes out with the 350 hp 5.7L Hemi V8 on the new 140" wheelbase.

But to need to "Explain to Toyota salesman what a dually is used for or any heavy duty for that matter"......... that's pathetic!
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    "......... that's pathetic!"

You talking out the Tundra or the salespeople? (hehe)
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    What I think is pathetic is Big2 buyers depending on salespeople to educate them on what to buy. Seems like the fox guarding the henhouse. Wouldn't it be better if Big2 purchasers actually knew something about trucks before buying one?

Quad bought a '99 Silverado and has unloaded it in already. Could it be that he was just trying to get out from under the lemon? Could it be that he really didn't know what he needed? Could it be that the saleperson told him what he needed?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Stop masturbating...
    I think that you are just a little bit confused. Good luck on this one now!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I think Quad nailed it on the head....MUAHAHAHAAA!
    Isn't this cute - Quad has a cheerleader! ObywannaTundra. Oby - where are your pom poms? Aren't you the one who has had his Lemonado in the shop over 4 months?

I think it is sad that certain Chev lemon owners feel the need to post insults to a Tundra Owners topic. When they get their feelings hurt, they resort to name calling. Maybe someday they will get through puberty. We can all hope.

My Tundra has been flawless for the last two years. It is by far the highest quality, most reliable, most capable 1/2 ton pickup.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    But your Tundra has not been flawless. There are 3 recalls for 2000-2001 model year, including the tail light lampholder, turn signal, and trailer brake controller.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    You guys are getting really desperate now. Edmund's long term review of your beloved Silverado had more recalls and problems than any vehicle they ever tested!!!

You're right, those Tundras are junk with their bad lampholders!
    But you are showing your ignorance about Tundras. The Tailight socket was one recall and it applied only to early '2000s - not mine.

The trailer wiring harness applies only to early Tundras with tow packages. Since I have yet to get a trailer - I have not had this implemented on my truck. Guess I will have to do it some day before I tow a trailer.

By flawless I mean no trips to the shop. Since you and Obywannatundra have both owned Chev lemons, I know this is hard for you guys to comprehend.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I've only had my new truck for 11 months now and only 8,300 miles on it, but it's good to see a fellow truck owner out there that has a truck with ZERO flaws, ZERO recalls, and ZERO trips to any shop or dealer for any repair on their truck what-so-ever.

Sort of makes you feel really good about your purchases, and a bit sympathetic for those that expected to buy a flawless new truck but unfortunately got a lemon.

Here are some of the latest truck sales figures:
    http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svolpu.asp

-David
    2001 Silverado 1500 Ext-cab, Z-71 owner.
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    I thought my remark would bring you out of hiding!!

Hey Bama-My 2001 Silverado; 12600mi with nary even a slight problem, rattle or complaint (and I have a few thousand towing miles on my Chevy)! Too bad alot of the Tundra faithful over @ Tundrasolutions.com can't say that!!
    understand. I thought I was being perfectly clear on the subject. Refer to post #859.....
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    As a long time Toyota fan, and someone who's looking forward to buying a new Tundra soon, I thought it would be interesting to look under the comments in subject " List your lemon trucks here ". After reading through about 30 messages, I wanna say I'm suprised, but then again I'm really not. I thought it was quite humorous that throughout all the posts, the word Toyota wasn't mentioned at all. Gmc, and Chevy seemed to take a hard hit right to the nards, with Dodge and Ford in a close second. Keeping in mind that these are comments made by American made truck owners, and not American truck bashers. I realize that these are just a few of the owners and problems that are out there. Although, I thought that after such a dismal reputation in the 80s and 90s, the American made trucks would have at least progressed a bit farther than it seems. I've been reading posts in here the last few weeks as well. Im confused how theres guys in here who have the nads to not only downplay Toyotas longtime overall satisfaction, but who also are silly enough to brag about their " lemons " , as defined by other fellow American made truck owners. Lol , I can only sit here and be amused. No truck will ever be perfect to everyone, and some may never be perfect to ANYONE. I will say this though, Toyota has and in my opinion will continue to, make a smoother running, longer lasting, more dependable product more times than not. The word " lemon " and Toyota just don't mix. Yes Toyotas have problems too, but the competitions' just seem to be a bit bigger.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    (not a bash or anything)

You have to take in consideration the numbers of trucks produced also. Seems to be a big gap between some of the manufacturers
    There also seems to be a big gap between the ears of some of the posters.
    I agree with you as far as production goes. And hey, I drive a Ford Ranger myself. It wasn't really by choice that I ended up with it, but I've had it for 5 years now. Its a 1994, and it just hit 100,000 miles. I must say, not one problem with it to date. I need something bigger so im gonna get rid of it, but not because of its performance.
    I used to live in LA. Actually San Pedro. I miss the weather and the beaches.
    I used to ride dirt bikes near Palos Verdes Peninsula. Those were the days.

I have owned my Tundra 2 years. Here is my review:

1. The first thing I noticed was how quiet the truck is. I hear almost no wind or road noise. The 32valve DOHC V8 can barely be detected running at idle. There is no noise insulation under the hood(unlike the Chev which sounds like a diesel even with insulation).

2. The ride has to be experienced. Let's just say that Truck Trend was fighting over the keys. They stayed away from the Chev they were comparing to in droves. They even wrote that the Chev's ride caused their backs to hurt.

3. Toyota's legendary reliability. Winner of J.D. Power initial quality award in both 2000 and 2001. My bet is that they will win '02 also. Add 40% more powertrain warranty than the weak2 and you have an unbeatable combination. The Tundra had been rated a "recommended buy" by Consumer Reports since its inception in 2000. The '99 Chev is rated a used vehicle to avoid. Every Chev since is not recommended and has "Much worse than average" reliability. Makes you wonder if GM will ever get its act together.

4. While the Tundra doesn't have as much rear seat legroom as the Weak2, it has more front seat legroom. The Chev has been described by Edmund's as having "Toyota Corolla footspace" in the front. I felt cramped in the Chev I test drove.

5. Truck Trend preferred the Tundra over the Chev when towing a 5500 lb load. The Chev got 3mpg less mileage while losing. Where's the beef?

6. The Tundra stops quicker than the Weak2 by a large margin. Load the Tundra with 1350lb and it STILL outbrakes the Chev.

7. The Tundra is a much more capable off-road vehicle. The Chev has 3" less ground clearance, a longer wheelbase and a much larger turning radius - this makes the Chev very weak off-road. Of course, most Chev owners never off road their trucks anyway.

All in all - the Tundra is the best truck (and vehicle) I have ever owned. It has far exceeded all of my expectations.
  • 52farminchevy52farminchevy Member Posts: 16
    Yep, them magazine tells be impressin some folks, thats for sure. But truth is, them forien ones lack haul. So what be the point of gettin one of them ones if ya cant work em any? When put too that real test of workin em, them forien ones just aint goin hold up now, and that be that fact on that one now. Work that farm with one of em, that will give ya that truth folks is seekin, but quick! Good luck on this one now!
    Why are you posting about '52 Chevs? It seems that you have been passed by about 30 years ago. Are you saying that Chev has not changed since '52? I can believe that.

My father in law has a farm. He has a beater truck that is at least 20 years old ( and worth less than $1K to work his farm. He doesn't want to damage or wear out his daily driver. I think he is typical. Not many farmers want to destroy a new $30K pickup on a farm.
    check out some of the silverado topics and other gm topics

There are quite a few guys with newer trucks working them on the farm, plowing snow etc. A truck is meant for work not just show. THats why the majority of people buy them
    I agree - the majority of people work their trucks (very infrequently).

The majority of people Including Shakerrrrado owners seldom (Let's say less than 5% of the time) work their trucks - Right?

Do you see the distinction?

If you disagree - tell me the percentage of the time the typical Chev owner "works" their truck.
    i agree there are ALOT of trucks and i mean alot of trucks out there that haul nothing. GO to a lumber yard watch and count. First hand experience
  • zorbzorb Member Posts: 2
    After driving my shake, rattle and roll Suburban for five years, I finally got rid of that lemon for a new Tundra. The difference is obviously dramatic. I have become convinced over the years that many Chevy, Dodge and Ford truck drivers aren't bothered by mechanical breakdowns. They like doing the work themselves! For the rest of us who would just as soon do something else than auto repairs (check out Consumer Reports for verification of this), we will keep driving Toyota products. The 93 Suburban I owned was perhaps the worst (and most expensive) vehicle I have ever owned. It did pile through snow however.
    Well Bama , I appreciate all the good info.. I work on an ambulance in L.A. and while at work last night, I couldn't help but overhear some of the guys talking about their American " lemons " . I didn't wanna laugh, but the stuff coming out of their mouths was just too funny. One guy has a shakerado as you call it lol, and the other a newer S-10. Neither are happy and they're calling it quits. Too many problems to even mention.
    I've worked on cars for quite some time. It wasn't until I was shop foreman at the college rebuilding engines that I was able to see the American vs. foreign difference. Over 2 years time and several engines torn apart, I realized just how cleaner the inside of Toyota and Nissan engines were. The American parts seemed to have more residue and heat discoloration / wear on the bearings and pistons, as well as other areas. I think this is part of the reason that foreign engines run smoother and quieter.
    One final note. All of our ambulances are Ford's. I realize that its unfair to compare an emergency vehicle which has hard miles on it to anything else. I will say this though. We average 1-2 rigs broke down each day and usually 2-3 times a week, one comes back on a tow truck. They all rattle and smoke and shake like a Cadillac full of diesel. In Ford's defense, we do have quite a few of them that are over 100,000 miles. Not necessarily with factory parts but nonetheless theyre still running.
    Congratulations on the new truck. I'm looking forward to getting new one soon myself. Really hoping that it performs the way I imagine it will. Let us know how the trucks doin every once in while. And hey, its nice to know that even Suburbans can get down and shake , rattle, and roll lol.
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    What tundra did you buy ? I too am planning to buy one soon, as soon as I get my 2000 Ranger sold (I am trying to sell it for $ 15750, and still no takers !! It is a 2000 4x4 XLT 4 door cab with 5 speed auto and a 4.0, fiberglass cap, new Michelins and 13000 miles !) . The depreciation is KILLING ME !! In Ohio here, I can get a Tundra 4x4 with V8, LS rearend, ABS and TRD package for about $27600 (That appears to be about 2000 off the sticker). I think they will come down to maybe 27200. Good luck with your new Toyota !!
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    Seen the good crash test score and starting wondering if the Extended Cab Tundra is safe enough for infants in the backseat with a carseat? Any thoughts? I was headed for the 4-Runner, but I would prefer the P-Up.
    Got this one off that Tundra problems board:

Tundra V8 Ltd 4x4

Problems:
    Arrogant Toyota dealers rip you off
    Poor after sales service (deny problems)
    Vibration from front end
    Rough gear shift
    Vague handling on bends
    Rust spots where paint chipped
    Rust on underside

Pieces of interior trim fall off
    Center console latch broken
    Front windows rattle in wind
    Gas guzzler

Looks like they got them same troubles them hi-lux ones had. All them hi-lux ones is rusted up and gone for sure. What say, any other ones rustin up now? So much for them Consumer Report tells folks been braggin on. Good luck on this one now!
  • johnmeijohnmei Member Posts: 44
    Am ordering the 2002 Tundra Access Cab, V8, Auto,
    4 x 4, Tow Package up to 5,000 LBS., Convenience package, All Weather Package, Limited Slip Differential, etc. I do plan to do some towing, either a 2500 lb boat or a trailer that weighs under 4000lbs. Does the ABS feature impact on towing at all?

I need some FEEDBACK ON ABS brakes! Is this a desirable feature and what is the maintenance/reliability of the ABS. Am I better off without it?
    Go for the ABS! I have it on my truck and it works great. As far as reliability goes - hey it is a Toyota, not a Chev. Need I say more?

Pickup trucks need ABS more than passenger vehicles in my opinion. This is because pickups can vary hugely in weight. There is much different braking requirements in a empty truck than a truck loaded to the max. While brake proportioning valves help this problem - I think that ABS does a better job overall.

I live in a very wet climate and ABS works great on wet roads. You just have to remember to tromp on them and let the brake system do the rest. You will be amazed at how short and perfectly straight the Tundra will stop with ABS.
    Check this post out from a 2002 Tundra owner...

#189 of 189 personally, by ndahi12 Nov 19, 2001 (08:13 pm)
    I would go w/o ABS. I like to modulate my own brakes. I never liked ABS and I race cars for a hobby.

Also if you do not intend to go off road, then do not get a 4X4. Get a 4X2 with a limited slip. That is what I did and I need my truck for towing once a month and as a daily driver.

The more complicated the truck becmomes the more stuff will breka on it. That is why I did not get the ABS and the 4X4. Why do I need more options that I do not use (4X4) and have not proved their effectivness (ABS)

GOOD LUCK ON THIS ONE NOW!!!!
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    About a replacement for the oil dipstick. Said they're going to be sending it in the mail in a few days and didn't want me "alarmed" by the package (considering recent events). Nice of them.

But what's the replacement dipstick for? I haven't checked the NHTSB website yet.

Jeff
    ...just saw a note on the Tundra problems page. Now I'm up to date. Ain't Edmund's great?

Jeff
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I got mine a week ago. Honestly, the new one seems about a fraction of an inch too long. It just barely will not seat down all the way. Since mine is leased, I'm not real concerned.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Yeah, and 163 TBS bulletins for 99' Chevy 1500.....things like
    Speedometer accuracy
    Contaminated R134a A/C Systems
    Squeak Noise in Steering Column
    Engine Bearing Knock Noise
    Settlement of Lawsuit on Batteries (CA Proposition # 65)

Real good.
    Some Chevy trucks may not be bad at all, but my personal experience with 93' S10 that I drove for 1.5 years terrifies me. $500/mechanic trip, things falling off inside the cabin (small things, but nevertheless, and AC going out once in 2 years, starter, fuel pump, distributor cap went bad after 1 year, fuel injector unit). Got to the point when there was piston knock from the engine, and water from the exaust all the time. Thats a 93' Chevy....my 1987 Plymouth did not do that when it was 12 years old.
    Bet that factory got them quarts and liters mixed for sure. Good luck on this one now!
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    "There are quite a few guys with newer trucks working them on the farm, plowing snow etc. A truck is meant for work not just show. THats why the majority of people buy them "

You are WRONG. 2/3 of the people buy trucks as a regular means of transportation and they do not do heavy work with them. These are the facts.
    The marking was off by approx 1/4" (or about 1 qt). So if you were filling to the dipstick mark (instead of what the book said) you were putting in a little too much.

I noticed on mine that after an oil change, the dipstick read lower than I would have expected, but still above the "add" mark. Following the book on the amounts to add, you wouldn't have any problem.
  • drmelfdrmelf Member Posts: 4
    I have owned the truck a month, put 3000 miles on it and have only 2 complaints. The clunking noise it makes anytime you change directions (forward vs. reverse) and the poor gas mileage. I was hoping it would get closer to 20 mpg on long highway trips but can't get more than 18. Clunking noise is supposed to be normal according to the dealer. We'll see..
    Give it a little break-in time. My 4WD Limited got 21 mpg on a long highway trip (Chattanooga to DC). But that was at 12,000 miles. And I averaged around 70 mph.

I can't tell you about shift clunking - I guess the sound/feel of mine is "normal" when I shift. Do you have access to any other Tundras you can check to see if they do the same thing? Maybe you should insist at the dealer - have him "prove" the clunk you're getting is the same with others. That's what I'd do.
  • joeltranejoeltrane Member Posts: 25
    I think there is a fix for your driveshaft clunk. Check out tundrasolutions.com and do a search.
    I know...I know.... you shouldn't have to fix it yourself, but at least you'll know that the work was done right. If I remember correctly, it didn't seem all that involved.
    hth
  • jmsintxjmsintx Member Posts: 41
    Clunk in driveline is universal. Get some Mobil 1 synthetic and pump about 40 times into the spline zerk, drive around, jump up and down on the rear bumper , etc. That should help.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/techcenter/2001/bulletins/92-265-7A.html