Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2006

kankokuonlykankokuonly Member Posts: 15
Hyundai readies premium sedan for Seoul show

The car has the name 'TG' and is successor to the Grandeur XG. The domestic sales campaign gets underway in May.

There is much speculation about the TG's powerplant. There are likely to be several displacement options: ranging from a 2.7-litre four to 3.3- and, it is rumoured, 3.6-litre V6.

Hyundai officials have let slip that the TG engine consumes five percent less fuel than the XG's transversely mounted 24-valve Dohc 3.5-litre V6 yet generates 25 percent more power. The XG put out 195ps, on which basis the TG is going to be capable of about 250ps. There are rumours of a 3.8-litre V6 option capable of 270ps or more.

Comments

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    I saw spy shots (different ones) of the 2006 XG and they looks the same! I like the interior, as with the 2005 Sonata. It seems like Hyundai is getting some style into their cars!
  • steven2steven2 Member Posts: 37
    it seems to me that kia and hyundai are competing with themselves when virtually every model is a kia and a hyundai, under a different alias. The amanti has gotten lots of talk, but it is just an luxurious XG with E-Class headlights. The rest of their models are virtual clones, from the cheapest to the most "expensive".

Right now, Hyundai should be established as a sporty, inexpensive company while kia should be the affordable near-luxury brand. It is sad that people should decide between an optima or a sonata; the people considering a hyundai should not be the ones considering a kia.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Why should Hyundai be the sporty inexpensive brand and Kia the near luxury brand when Hyundai's name has more brand recognition behind it? Hyundai is slowly gaining prestige but Kia is till lagging behind with its image as the cheapest car on the block. Hyundai needs to be the near luxury brand.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Those look like spy shots of the next Sonata, seen elsewhere in these threads. I would expect more conservative styling on the XG.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    The next Sonata has different side windows and a different interior. I'm almost 100% sure that this is the XG.
  • rutledge1rutledge1 Member Posts: 6
    does anybody know when the redesigned XG and Sonata will be available?......AND......Does anyone have more spyphotos other than the one already listed......AND......are they planning to up the horsepower in both of these vehicles?
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Both the 2006 Hyundai XG, and the 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe will have a 3.8L V6 Engine putting out around 240 - 260 HP.
  • murleymurley Member Posts: 6
    Yup. The engine that Hyundai will be using is the one that Kia built for the Mojave Truck. Kia will be putting it in a few other vehicles also.
  • 1txbanker1txbanker Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone have any idea about the pricing for the 2006 Sonata and the XG?

Also, will either the Sonata or the XG be available with a manual transmission and the V6?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You can forget about the XG offering a manual tranny. It's a luxo boat type of car with no sporting intentions. I wouldn't hold your breath on a manual tranny on the Sonata V6 either. The only Sonata V6 to offer a manual tranny was the 99 and 00 model and very few were made. It was so rare, people wondered whether it was even brought to the US. I'd expect Hyundai to follow the same path with the new Sonata especially since they tend to go for the more plush side, like Camry and Accord, instead of the sporty side, like the Altima and 6.
  • f111df111d Member Posts: 114
    How about a poor man's BMW driving chassis?
  • miyomiyo Member Posts: 2
    It's name will be TG380.
    3.8L lamda engine, HID lamp, Dual muffler, Smart key, ESP, ECS, LED back lamp,, etc,
    I'm not good at English, thank you
  • whzrdwhzrd Member Posts: 39
    do you know any specifications other than that info example - performance,dimensions ?
  • kankokuonlykankokuonly Member Posts: 15

And a cleaned up shot with photoshop...

• jms9jms9 Member Posts: 17
    I believe that last picture is an old Infiniti M45 with a Hyundai badge photoshopped on, but I may be wrong.
  • kankokuonlykankokuonly Member Posts: 15
    Sounds about right to me but no one knows how the TG will look like when it finally comes out.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    That last picture is clearly a current model M45 with an H badge.

M
  • simon_aussimon_aus Member Posts: 3
    G'day all.

He's right - that pic is definitely NOT the front of the new Grandeur - how do I know? I've got photos. Luckily enough I managed to snap the cars undergoing filming for their commercial in Australia (they probably won't be released here). I am looking to offload these pics (which are great quality) as I am a hobbyist photographer who likes to make a bit of money on the side to pay for the gear! Anyhow, I was going to attach a sample pic, but I can't work out how to do it (anyone help?!).

Think - BMW type fin to the rear of the roof, wing mirror mounted indicators, plenty of chrome, dual exhausts (one either side of the rear bumper) horizontal chrome bars on the grill...

Anyway, if anyone out there is interested in further pics - email simon.west@gmail.com

Cheers

Simon
  • hiramehirame Member Posts: 6

unfortunately, the front shot from Geneva isn't available as of now, the second shot was taken in SK and still somewhat camouflaged. but you can definitely have a glimpse of it.

whatcha think about it? I've got a mixed feeling. It doesn't quite stand out tho, a tad disappointing and encouraging.
    hopefully, the interior shots come out soon.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    rear end treatments. Some kind of Sable thing, here. I guess Hyundai is going through the mid-nineties Japanese conservative binge.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Geneva Auto Show...
  • idforedidfored Member Posts: 20
    ......and younger! 233HP w/3300cc lamda engine(anyone knows what that is?) sounds more attractive. According to message # 9, engine was going to be 3.8L. Will there be options? Maybe?

Looking better?
    Hopefully, we can get some aftermarket cosmetic kits soon after TG coming out. kinda dull looking as it is, IMO. I heard the higher-end KDM TG is soon to be unveiled in SK. Reportedly, it should feature somewhat more luxo styling and options.
  • jeenjeen Member Posts: 6
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The front of this vehicle looks remarkably similar to the last Millenia offered here in the US. Not a bad thing, but not very distinctive. For overall value, since it will have the 3.3L, ESC, traction, ABS, side curtains, all the goodies, I think the more attractive, loaded Sonata LX is perfect. But this looks like a very nice car.

~alpha
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Sorry for the mess, folks. We combined the two existing discussions on this upcoming sedan.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    The more I see of this car the more I like it. I agree it does contain blended designs. However, let's start with a few observations. I have read more than quite a few posts that have been critical of the overall design. I agree that the design is not ground breaking but it isn't offensive. For example some of the criticism and comparisons have been made to brands like Acura, Mazda 929, Honda Accord, VW Phaeton, Audi, BMW, etc. Compare all of the above models just cited and you'll find blended designs in all of the them.

For example the newest Acura TL is so BMW 5 series. From the side view to the rear all Bimmer. The Mazda 929 comparison? may have hints on rear roof pillar? but IMO it reminds me of the front grill work on an Infinit M45. Honda Accord? Check again. The Accord's rear is no where near similar to the Hyundai TG. In fact the rear end reminds me of previous '84 caddy Seville of yore. http://www.pevomuc.de/100-Cadillac/PECAAR.08/1984-A/1984-1.html . VW Phaeton? I haven't seen it. The Audi comparison is much more accurate as the side view from the A pillars on is very easy to see. BMW comparison from the rear trunk lid/lip design is taken right from the current 7 series. I'm not particularly fond of this design but it seems to fit the the looks of this car. The interior (I haven't had a chance to see as many pics of it as I'd liked) is very clean and looks very upscale. I think other than an in-the-flesh view and test drive time on this new rig can one really tell if the TG has what it takes to compete with the likes of Avalon which is a fine automobile in it's own right but up until recently didn't seem to have any likable personality style wise that set it apart. The newest re-design is much improved over what was a Camry like generic styling but it isn't an awe inspiring re-design either.

We may find things style and design wise to criticize about the new TG but the jury is still out until the final sales numbers come in will Hyundai know if this car is a winner that can truly compete with the likes of Avalon.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    very close betweeen the '06 Sonata and this "TG" as to which is the better looking car. This car combines several great styling elements and merges to form a very appealing, handsome, even breathtaking luxury car. This car looks great! The Korean design departments have done it again!

This one looks so sleek that even a 3.8L V6 would generate not only good hp but mpg's in the low 20's. Anyone read an estimate on gas mileage for this thing?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• sandpapersandpaper Member Posts: 60
    many people have started calling this vehicle the 'Hyundai Azera'. I looked at a listing of new copyrighted names filed by automakers and 'Azera' was one of them.

Nevertheless, the vehicle would never be called the 'TG'. TG is simply a code name, much like NF.
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    The current Hyundai flagship is called the XG350. Why not name its replacement the TG380?

Azera sounds too close to Acura (which, upon second thought, may be exactly what Hyundai is trying to do!)
  • sandpapersandpaper Member Posts: 60
    As I said, 'TG' is a codename. 'NF' is a code name.. we don't call the Sonata the NF do we?

I personally hate letter-number names (RX330, GX450, TL, etcetc..). In my opinion, Azera or even Granduer would be more appropriate and insync with Hyundai's other model names..

Anyone know anything?
  • brianinucdbrianinucd Member Posts: 1
    Hello Gentlemen,

I found one advertisement movie which can show all features of new TG380 model from some Korean website. Feel it and Enjoy it!

http://www.racers.co.kr/MHboard/index_form/view.php?no=1592&&table=movie
    Hey all.

For a pic of the new Grandeur V6 go to:

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/story_page/0,8269,12500485%5E21822,00.html

Cheers

Simon
    Hey all.

The Grandeur that I spied during filming in Australia was called the Grandeur L330. It was obviously the luxury model. If someone can tell me how to post pics on this forum, I'll get one up there.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    along with the '06 Accent:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Articles/articleId=105080

It's very sharp from this angle, don't you think? A roofline similar to the Five Hundred (and several other cars e.g. Audi A6, but much more interesting styling in the rear.
  • gerrytgerryt Member Posts: 6
    For those who don't know, Hyundai has posted the new Azera at the following website: http://www.hyundaiazera.com/. It lists most of the features for the new vehicle and is still a work in progress. Enjoy!!
    was a little less prominent. Side view looks great, front and rear clips less impressive, IMHO.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Time to re-name this discussion I guess!

If this car doesn't ride like a land yacht (like the XG did), it looks like a winner.
    I'll re-name it as soon as we get the updated categories listed!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    I can't show the link to this article, or even mention the auto industry-related website, since they do have a message board. The website's publisher, Greg Sanchez, had some pertinent comments about the auto show, among which were... "Most Significant Production Vehicle: The new Hyundai Azera. This company is doing everything right and it's showing -- with products like the Tucson, the new Accent, the new Sonata, and now their flagship sedan, the Azera. Nothing comes close in the marketplace with better value for the buck, not to mention the styling, and a great warranty. And now beating Lexus for the title of America's most reliable car! Need I say anything else?"
    You can mention other sites that host automotive forums - you just can't promote the forums or post a direct link to them.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

from the side....nice!!!!