Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent

Comments

• skikiddskikidd Member Posts: 7
    Just got confirmation from a local dealer that they were just allocated 2007 Accent SE's in their next shipment scheduled for the first week in June!! Yay!
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    If that's the case, I wonder when Hyundai will update their website to include the SE? I sure would like to see a listing of the available accessories, colors, pricing, etc.
    Looks like Hyundai Canada is on the ball. Hyundai USA, however, still only shows the 4 door GLS sedan. :(

The Accent colors for Canada look interesting. The Blue Onyx and Midnight Grey are really sharp. Those would seem to be my initial favorites. The Light Green looks funky! Wonder if the U.S. will get the same colors?

What happened to all the "unique" accessories? I don't see the cold air intake, interior light kits and other items promised by Hyundai. Doesn't Canada get the same accessories as the U.S.? :confuse:
  • serge79serge79 Member Posts: 10
    I just went to the Hyundaicanada.com and the 07 Accent is already here. I did not see any significant change for this year of course. However they added a side marker that looks great, I don't know if it's only the GLS or the GL also. I'm going for an Accent or Yaris. I'm returning my Mazda Protege lease by the end of the year. Can't wait! I wonder why they don't have then GL trim in the U.S.?
    The hatchback model and the 2007 sedan are already at the dealers in Canada. I already tried one!
    :P
  • vermonter16vermonter16 Member Posts: 29
    So, what did you think?
    It was great, I will take the sedan and not the hatchback however. Hatchbacks are always noisier than sedans, so I will take the 4 door. However the hatch looks great!
    Right now I'm at the point to decide which car I will pick between the Yaris and the Accent. I really like the Accent, it's ride is superior and it's so quiet & comfortable for a small compact. But a Toyota an is still a Toyota (resale value, reliability, quality, reputation, technology and the list goes on...) I don't know what to do...? :confuse:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Pricing is now on hyundaiusa.com:

Accent GS: $10,415 (I expect that is w/o destination)
    Preferred Package (A/C and 6 speaker CD stereo): $1350
    Premium Package (A/C, stereo, power package, remote locking, body-colored mirrors/door handles): $1750

Accent SE: $13,915 (I expect this is w/o destination)
    Sun & Sound Package (power moonroof, maplights, 220-watt CD changer with cassette): $1250

AT on either is $1000 more.

As expected, ABS is not available on the GS but is standard on the SE. The SE looks like a great value, with tons more equipment than a base Honda Fit but about the same MSRP. It's also a good value compared to the Rio5--several hundred dollars less.
  • jrtny04jrtny04 Member Posts: 17
    anyone know what the mpg will be for the 2007 accent se with 5 speed manual and automatic transmission
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    From EPA:

Manual: 32 (city) and 35 (highway)

Auto: 28 (city) and 37 (highway)
  • enkaenka Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone seen the Accent SE yet at a dealer because I think its on sales right now. I think Accent SE is the best looking car in its class with styling and more features and interior room. I dont really like the honda fit or the toyota yaris. But yaris is better than fit.
  • subarufan1subarufan1 Member Posts: 85
    i have not seen it yet in northern california/bay area/silicon valley area yet and have been looking very hard for it. it should hit by the end of the summer i hope?? :confuse:
    Defn. before the end of summer. Actually, it should hit showrooms shortly, very shortly (some might have allocations already).

Just checked the website, it states 07 Accent is available so be on the look out for them :)
    I hope the Accent SE shows up soon. Drove by the local Hyundai "Superstore" today and the only Accent they had on the lot was a black 5-speed GLS sedan with no options.

I wonder when Hyundai USA will update their website with build your own and color selections?
    I found out today from someone standard ABS features deletion for '07 base trim is due to the reason customers didn't want it to be standard and Hyundai listened :)
    Also perhaps because Hyundai dealers complained about the high list prices for the Accent, and HMA listened. ;)
    these numbers do not seem very efficient
    considering honda fit is 38/40
    From EPA:

Manual: 32 (city) and 35 (highway)

Auto: 28 (city) and 37 (highway)
    Except that the Honda Fit is not 38/40.

The mpg for the auto trannies are actually pretty close--not surprising the Fit would have some advantage since it has a 5-speed slushbox vs. 4-speed for the Accent. Where the Accent is furthest from the Fit is in stick-shift highway mpg. The Fit has taller gearing in 5th than the Accent so that may account for part of the difference.
    test drove a 2007 accent
    suffice to say it was not a very impressive ride. hyundai can keep its 100k warranty, i think ill concentrate on the fit or yaris
    Which model did you drive? Sedan or hatch (and which hatch)? I haven't seen the new hatch around my area yet. It has different steering and suspension than the sedan--more tuned for handling than comfort.

What didn't you like about the 2007 Accent?
    test drove 2007 accent hatch.
    it was the base model. very basic 5 speed. pick up was inadequate. rear seating was small. very noisy ride.
    mpg was nothing to write home about. and considering all this for nearly 13k, i think it was not weorth the wait
    If it was the basic hatch it would have been the GS. It's not a speed demon, is it? I am surprised you found the ride noisy for a small car, though. I thought it was the quietest car in its class that I've driven. But I've only driven the sedan. The hatch could be noisier--hatches tend to be noisier than sedans.

What kind of mpg did you get? How did you find the operation of the 5-speed? I've only driven the automatic.

I stopped by my local dealer today and they told me it would be September before they had the Accent hatchback in stock, specifically the SE. That is the model I want to drive. But if the ride is too harsh and noisy, I could take the sedan with no problems. It was smooth and quiet, and the back seat seemed roomier than the SE hatch that I sat in at the Chicago Auto Show.
  • skikiddskikidd Member Posts: 7
    "it was the base model. very basic 5 speed. pick up was inadequate. rear seating was small. very noisy ride.
    mpg was nothing to write home about. and considering all this for nearly 13k, i think it was not weorth the wait "

Since it was the base model dont they run just under 11k... are dealers marking up this guy 2k also? (in the market for a new hatch NOW and getting frustrated w/ all the markup) If it was 13k I'd think it would be the SE.
    I was disappointed with the EPA estimates for the Gas mileage, seem pretty poor compared with the other cars coming out w/ the same approximate size engine. Hyundai claims that this hatch has the "most passenger room of its class" is all that room in the front? How did the cargo room look w/ the seats down? do they truly fold flat?
    Cant seem to find any dealer around me that even knows the 2007's exist :cry:
    i guess hyundai has arrived as a competitor to the japanese auto makers and in doing so have seemed to forgot what made hyundai such an attractive alternative, the price. why someone would spend nearly 13k on an accent gs which is very very basic or 15k on an accent se both with subpar mpg is beyond me.
    considering that honda & toyota make a very reliable & cost effective product hyundai should introduce some considerable rebates and incentives if they want to stay competitive. i saw i waited and suffice to say, i think i will pass/
    What other subcompacts are available with the equipment the Accent SE has for under $15k? Because it is a Hyundai, the expectation is that it will cost significantly less than its Japanese competitors. So wait a bit. The '06 Accent has a $1000 rebate now. With a rebate like that and a good discount by the dealer, the SE would be under $13k. That is a good buy considering its equipment I think.

Yesterday I drove a Yaris sedan that had automatic, a basic CD audio system, A/C, and that's it. No power package. No alloys--certainly not 16-inchers. No remote locking. No ABS with EBD. No side airbags and curtains. No leather cover on the steering wheel and shift knob. No tach. No heated mirrors or lighted vanity mirrors. No 8-way adjustable driver's seat. No sport-tuned suspension and steering. Price: $14,100. Or consider a base Fit for $14,400. It has ABS, side bags/curtains, and power package, but has 14" steel wheels, a lesser audio system, no seat height adjuster or dead pedal, no armrest for the driver, and lacks many of the other features of the Accent SE including the longer Hyundai warranty. "Cost effective?" I don't think these cars are more cost effective than the Accent SE.
    well lets say you purchased your fully equiped hyundai and you got some decent mileage out of it and a few years later you decided you wanted to trade it in for a new edition, what are you going to get for it? a fraction of what you would get for a comparably equiped toyota or honda, that is something to consider when you plan on purchasing a cost effective auto
    Yes, resale value is a consideration for short-term ownership. My next new car will be in the family for over 10 years however, so that makes resale value moot. The 10-year warranty is a big plus, however.
    10 year warranty would be a big plus if the warranty lasted 10 years. considering most new cars run into the 200k mile range, what makes hyundais 100k so remarkable?
    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-12-200- - - - 6/0004378622&EDATE=

Should be available at your local dealers...

I am looking forward to test driving the SE :)
  • germancarfan1germancarfan1 Member Posts: 221
    The average buyer keeps his/her car for far less time than 10 years so yes, resale value is important to most consumers.

But more importantly, good luck driving that Accent in 10 years. See many 1996 Accents around? Neither do I.
    Well, Hyundai's 10 year powertrain warranty isn't what is "remarkable" given that it covers pretty much nothing. What's more important is the 5 year/60K "bumper to bumper." However, getting Hyundai to fix anything under that warranty is another story. I.e. try getting your dealer to fix the famous front end shimmy (there's a TSB, but to no avail) and see what he has to say. Or even getting them to do the Airbag sensor fix even with the class action lawsuit. Or how about the damn cheap paint on black painted Elantras (do a Google search, countless entries) that peels off like paint on a Yugo? Or the damn weatherstripping issue? Its a great warranty, if the dealers choose to honor them.

But of course, our pal Backy will come to the rescue of Hyundai and deny any problems with his car. All those ppl on Elantraxd.com and other Hyundai boards are all overreacting. The Hyundai is the best value afterall, right?
    My '01 Elantra was still in great shape cosmetically and mechanically when I sold it to my sister (brakes at 90% front, 85% rear for example) so I have no reason to think a '06 Accent would not last 4-1/2 years longer than that if it is maintained properly.

And I just saw a 1995 or 1996 Accent the other day--looked quite good, at least on the outside.

The reason I appreciate the 10 year/100k powertrain warranty is that I typically put less than 10k miles on my car per year, and as I said I plan to keep my next new car in the family for at least 10 years. Doesn't fit everyone's profile, but fits my needs very well. I also like the fact that it covers what is probably the most complex component in the car--the automatic transmission--and one that is very expensive to repair if it fails. Of course it covers the engine too, but engine failures are pretty rare these days if they aren't abused.

P.S. I have not had problems getting warranty work done on my two Elantras, FWIW. But that has nothing to do with the 2006 Accent, does it?

P.P.S. I am glad you agree that Hyundais are the best value.
    You have contributed nothing to these discussions. I work closely with dealership personnel, and Backy is right...with right care and proper maintenance, most cars last quite longer than you'd think, including Hyundais and Accents. Of course, no car is perfect, so some cars do brake down (but they apply to all makes).

Don't let your perception and everything you read fool you :) Check out the real story yourself...
    What is the problem getting the OCS sensor fixed? There was a recall for it. Go in and have the recall taken care of, like I did. (Actually, my dealer told me about the recall before I got the notice, when I came in for an oil change, and did the recall then. Maybe you need to find a dealer with a better service department?)

I am curious... how many of those mechanics who call the Accent a "100k" car have examined the redesigned 2006 Accent from top to bottom? And how many mechanics are we talking about here?
    "Don't let your perception and everything you read fool you Check out the real story yourself..."

I guess having a 1997 Kia RIO where the dash completing detached itself while driving isn't "real" enough. Do a Google search and read many "satisfied" customers who had similar experiences with both the RIO and Accent of that year.
    Last time I checked this is 2006.

There is a big difference between current Hyundais and products pre-98. I don't have to tell you but check out all of the stellar awards Hyundai/Kia have won, especially as of late.
    I kind of doubt your 1997 Kia Rio had that problem. Because there is no such thing as a 1997 Kia Rio.

I searched on "1997 Accent dash" and scrolled through the first 10 pages before giving up. I found no mentions of any kind of dash-detaching problem in those pages. Maybe you could post a link or two in the discussion related to the Accent of that vintage.
    Sorry, meant Sephia. I tried to erase memories of that [non-permissible content removed] car! My friend did have a Rio that was decent.

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewmorecomments_review_17499_1.html
    Sometimes the fingers work faster than the brain. :)

If you find any of those dash separations for the 1997 Accent (a totally different design than the '97 Sephia), feel free to post them in the "old" Accent discussion.
    so with hyundais cool looking accent se costing just under 15k, does anyone know what the cost will be for the elantra?
    Hyundai announced the price of the '07 Elantra would "start under $14,000." My own take on that, considering the source (marketeers), is that it means the no-options GLS will be about $13,995 plus destination, which would add another $550-600 or so. Then add options like the A/C + stereo package, or the Premium package (the one I'd want at minimum) that includes the A/C and stereo plus power accessories and nicer interior features. I figure that kind of Elantra will be somewhere around $16k MSRP including destination. All just conjecture of course, based on option prices on other Hyundais. That would slot the Elantra in pretty well between the Accent GLS (est. $12,500 starting price for the '07s once they drop ABS from the standards list) and the '07 Sonata GLS (about $17,700 starting price incl. destintation).
    well considering there is no difference in purchase price of a hyundai and a toyota/honda why the big difference in resale value?
    IMO it's due to the strong brand equity Honda and Toyota have compared to Hyundai, and HonYota's reputation for long-term reliability.

And there is a difference in purchase price between HonYotas and comparable Hyundais. For example, there is a couple thousand dollars difference bewteen the Accent and Fit or Yaris now, including rebates but not including dealer discounts. Discounts are hard to come by on Fits, but not on Accents. So the purchase price difference is probably more than $2000. On costlier models like the Sonata the difference can easily be over $5000.
    huh, what rebates, i dont see rebates for the accent, and there is no couple of thousand dollar diference on the different vehicle makes
    Here's an example: Accent SE MT, MSRP $14,495 including destination. Fit Sport MT, $15,720 including destination (so it's actually more like $1225 difference). There's a $1000 rebate on the '06 Accent now. We may have to wait a few weeks for rebates on the brand-new '07s to appear.
    well it seems hyundais msrp is not getting people to rush the local dealership to purchase a new accent, does hyundai thing they will be enticing consumers with a sub par mpg rating.
    I'd call it more like "par", i.e. middle of the pack. Just not an eagle. Not as good as Fit or Versa, but as good or better than the rest in the class. And not that far off the Fit/Versa.
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    Germancarfan1,

Do you really have to resort to attacking people, like backy, who I think is relatively objective and reasonable? If you think Hyundai sucks that bad, why do you waste your time on this board? I've owned VW and it is the most pathetic german engineering I've ever encountered. It leaked engine and transmission oil and the gas gauge indicated more gas than was in the tank. The car stalled in the freeway more times than I can even remember. Just because it's engineered in deutchland doesn't make it the greatest car.

My Elantra, however has been nothing but reliable. Never had to take it to the shop. Got into two accidents and paint didn't chip. No rust stains. Great gas mileage in gentle driving. It is an exceptional practical car that happens to be smooth and fun to drive. Nothing broke off yet and everything feels solid. Even the door handles feel like it's made of good quality metal unlike my previous civic (plastic). Hyundai's of today and of ten years ago are drastically different. So why don't you go check them out before you start ridicueling backy.

BTW. I checked out the low trim Accent Hatch and it was gorgeous. It was black on black GL or G-something (I believe) and it was already sold on the day that it arrived. Unfortunately, there were tons of Accent sedans but it was the only Accent hatch and it sold on the first day. Beautiful car. I'd take that over the Yaris or Fit any day. Perhaps no the sedan, but the hatches are nice indeed.
  • meatycheesyboymeatycheesyboy Member Posts: 14
    I just got back from my local dealership (Everett WA) and they had 3 Accent GS hatchbacks. All automatics, all $13,415. One dark blue, one black and one silver.

Last week they had one dark blue manual for $10,990 that I was really tempted to snap up but I just got new back brakes and 60,000 mile service on my '02 Accent. If it weren't for the maintenance I just got and the fact that I want to see and drive an SE, I would've bought it.