Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent

Comments

• germancarfan1germancarfan1 Member Posts: 221
    Well stated.

The fact is, Hyundai would rather save money and equipp its cars with air bags aplenty, then actually spend the R&D and manufacuring costs to produce a safe structered car. Hyundai does have a ways to go.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The puzzling thing is, since Hyundai has done pretty well in crash safety on their other "24x7" designs, particularly with the Entourage, it's really strange they didn't emphasize crash safety more with the Accent.
  • germancarfan1germancarfan1 Member Posts: 221
    Costs had to be cut somewhere and safety was the one to go on the Accent. But this should be no surprise to anyone that has test driven or even opened the doors on an Accent. They always felt thin and flimsy to me, far more so than the Fit or Rabbit, and even far more so than other Hyundai models (Sonata has nice solid doors).

If I was Hyundai, I'd drop the Accent line completely. They don't sell well and all the model does is hurt the reputation of the other models that are decent.
    Like other automakers, Hyundai needs an entry-level model to draw new buyers into the brand. And believe it or not, many of these buyers don't put crash safety anywhere near the top of their requirements list. :sick: I've seen that opinion stated many times in Town Hall.

Also, we don't know yet how Hyundai will respond to these results, or whether it's possible to improve them without major changes to the car.
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    I see VW America's strident little web intern is back: I bothered to check out the IIHP results.

Here they are. Not far off what German Car Employee reports . . . but not exactly fully truthful (as usual), either.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=586

#560 of 565 Another nail in the Accent coffin: IIHS by germancarfan1

Dec 19, 2006 (6:46 am)

Well, if you needed another reason not to buy the Accent, here it is: Awful IIHS scores. It's pretty much a death trap.

Side impact: POOR
    Rear impact: POOR
    Front impact: Acceptable
    In the interest of full disclosure, here's the full set of test results.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=715
    Actually, germancarfan1's post re the Accent's scores was accurate. They were Acceptable overall on frontal impact, Poor overall on side impact, and Poor on rear impact.

"Death trap" is hyperbole of course, but worst-in-class on crash tests is not a good thing--especially for a car company that touts the safety of its cars at every opportunity.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I think Hyundai has to build the Accent and Rio to be cost competitive in Asian and Latin markets; even low-end Euro. In Asian markets, they don't have much in the way of airbags, even front airbags (passenger front airbags are even extra cost options on Toyotas in Thailand!).

So to make the Accent/Rio "upscale" for America, Hyundai just installs the extra gear it's easy to leave out in Asian markets. But the cost of the basic "chassis" isn't increased across the board.

Honda uses high strength steels in selected areas of the Fit, and Subaru and Volvo do the same. VW does extra chassis spot welding on its Golf/Rabbit/Jetta series to increase body rigidity. I suspect Hyundai on the Accent/Rio, and Chevy/Daweoo on the Aveo, use cheaper steels, with fewer inventory tracking issues, and fewer welds. Thus the basic costs, which impact every market (including Asia and Latin America) aren't driven up. It's not a question of lacking technical expertise to build a tougher body structure, its the need to keep basic costs down.

In Hyundai's defense, and Chevy's defense, they DO give you side protection - side protection that will work a lot better in MOST side crashes. I question whether the Fit is actually that much more "survivable" than the Hyundai/Aveo if you up the crash speed or crash vehicle weight. The failure zone is very narrow indeed, and a vehicle that you can survive nicely at 30 might fail at 35 or 37 or 40...but it's not like there's going to be a BIG spread in survivability speeds/weights.

The Insurance Institute itself pretty much tells us you are better off in a larger car.

Yeah, death trap is hyperbole. BUT Hyundai is creating a serious perception gap by building tough minivans and fragile minicars - I wouldn't want my kid in one, even with all those airbags. On the other hand, it's getting harder and harder to imagine buying any vehicle without side curtain airbags these days, and I am a real car fanatic, it's taken the last 5 years for it to sink in how important these side curtain airbags are.

Meanwhile, a friend at work won't even upgrade to a post-1995 car with side impact beams; she's driving around in a beamless Camry, lot of protection there, huh, even less...much less... than the last ranked modern cars.
    Hyundai does claim to use high-strength steel in the Accent. It did get Acceptable on the frontal crash, with the main reason it didn't get Good seeming to be the likelihood of a leg injury. Not great, but not life-threatening. Maybe not enough high-strength-steel got into the sides of the car.

It is a plus that the Accent has standard side bags and curtains. At least heads are protected well. The people sitting in front might get serious injuries, but at least their brains won't be scrambled. And it appears kids travelling in back would be fairly well protected also.

So I'd rather drive an Accent with its side bags than a Yaris or Cobalt or (fill in name) without them, but with small cars like the Fit, Civic, and Rabbit available with standard side bags and ABS--and very good crash test scores--and the Versa with very good crash scores and at least the promise of ABS, I don't see any reason anymore to plunk my money down on an Accent. Especially since this is a car my daughter will be driving in a few years.
    I agree with you. I'd like to do another car change now, but with more cars soon to come standard with side curtain airbags, it would be foolish of me to get anything without them right now... the Versa definitely looks intriguing, but the Rabbit 2 door is better equipped and cheaper than the SL Versa. Of course the 4 door Rabbit IS way more expensive. Choices. Always choices.

The 2008 Focus, for example, will get standard side curtain airbags. Right now they have combo bags for the front occupants only. A ZX3 hatchback with standard side curtain airbags would be easy to shop for, at a big discount.
    I heard a rumor the Focus hatches were to be discontinued??

Anyway, on the Accent, there are a lot of good choices and more coming. Assuming that the new Elantra scores well in the IIHS tests (not a given of course), it's price compared to a comparably-equipped Accent isn't that much more. If Hyundai decides to put a general rebate back on the Elantra, it will be hard to move those Accent sedans.
    Sorry to reply to my own post, but I saw something in today's NY Times article on the IIHS tests that reinforced my statement of:
    And believe it or not, many of these buyers don't put crash safety anywhere near the top of their requirements list.

Here's what the NY Times article said:

But dealers say their customers rarely are willing to pay more for side air bags or wait longer for a vehicle equipped with them.

Brett Younger, general manager at Champion Toyota in Philadelphia, said most shoppers wanted a Yaris "as inexpensive as we can get it in an automatic." Parents buying the vehicle for a younger driver child often request side air bags, which have been in short supply in parts of the United States since the Yaris went on sale, Mr. Younger said, but other buyers see the $650 add-on as unnecessary.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/19/automobiles/19auto.html?ref=business?8dt&emc=d- - t
    That sort of news creeps me out.

Ever spent any time in a head-trauma unit? The kind where people will spend the rest of their days on a positive-pressure tracheal vent, drool off their chin, and no sense of anything-whatsoever-at-all?

Good old coup-countercoup brain injuries will do that.

Give me the airbags: I have no desire to have my brain popping around the inside of my head like Jiffy-pop in does the pan.
    I'm not sure what's going on with the hatches in the Focus line. Production has already ceased on the slow selling wagon, and the 5 door hatchback is a slow seller.

The question is, don't they need more than just the sedan? They are admittedly introducing a 2 door coupe, and that could potentially threaten the 3 door hatch, but I have a coupe now (Cobalt) and can assure you and every other reader out there that you can't beat a hatchback for versatility - it's a "mini wagon."
    I have a hatchback too and love it. I'd rather get a hatch for my next new car (the Accent SE was in the running, but not anymore!), but I don't absolutely have to have one because we also have a minivan. But maybe this is a good thread for the "Which Hatchbacks?" discussion...
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    The new Accent and Rio are dead to me! (and I really liked that stupid Accent 3-dr...)
  • eskool16eskool16 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I am a clueless, young, female relatively-new car owner. My car is due for inspection in July and I'm not sure what the protocol is for this.

Should I schedule an appointment with a Hyundai dealership? or is it sufficient to go to the closest certified mechanic?
    What paperwork should I take with me to be prepared?
    How long should I expect to be there (this car is about 3-4 yrs old and doesn't have any problems that i've noticed after driving it on a day-to-day
    basis)?
    any other pertinent information that might prevent me from embarrassing myself in front of these people?

thanks in advance for your help!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The answer may vary depending on what state you live in. Here in PA, most vehicles need an emmissions inspection before the safety inspection.

Since you haven't posted a lot about the car other than age, it's possible you MIGHT need tires, or perhaps brake pads will be worn down to where they won't pass, things like that. Light bulbs, dash lights, all sorts of little things have to pass as well, so there's no real way to say how long it might take. How busy the place you take it is at the time will factor in too, but I'd guess a minimum of 1-1.5 hours, a bit more if they have to replace brakes or whatever.

Registration and insurance cards are certainly things you'll need with you for inspection.

Your dealership is an OK place for inspection, but any certified inspection station should do. If any parts are needed, the dealership MAY have faster access to them.

Give a quick call to the dealership service department and ask them. I'm sure they'll be glad to tell you what you need.
  • scottnychayscottnychay Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if anyone besides Hyundai publishes repair manuals or CD Roms for a 2007 Hyundai Accent SE? I have a set of Hyundai shop manuals and I was just wondering if perhaps Chilton, Haynes, Etc. had manuals
  • scottnychayscottnychay Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if there were any changes or improvements made to a 2008 Hyundai Accent from a 2007 model?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here's a link to Hyundai's press release about the 2008 Accent...

2008 Accent
  • trendmongertrendmonger Member Posts: 5
    How does 15 to MPG CTY sound. When this car gets anywhere near to a 10% differential to the reported 32MPG CTY I will only then consider stating anything positive about this vehicle.

The car is getting between 30 and 31 MPG HWY. I would not complain too much there but 15 MPG CTY.

We have performed Hyundai Service Center Oil/Filter Changes every 3 months and the 15/16 MPG CTY is just unacceptable.

DO NOT BUY unless you like poor gas performance.
    my 2006 6 CYL Hyundai Tuscon AWD SUV has performed exactly the same in CTY driving since day 1.

I wish we bought a Toyota, Nissan or Honda in this car class for day today CTY driving.
  • srigudisrigudi Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am planning to buy a Hyundai Accent GLS 2008. (IL state). I am a first time auto buyer. I have below doubts to clarify.

1. Is Hyundai Accent is good to consider? (Safety, comfort mileage and economy)
    2. What is the best price to buy (Including all base price, sales tax (IL state), title)?
    3. When dealing with a dealer what is the best price to start the bargain? Is it invoice price or MSRP?
    4.If there is any rebate, does it applies on the Invoice price or MSRP?

Please also refer me if any good forums and discussions links.
    IMO the Accent does not deserve consideration because of its poor showing in the IIHS crash tests. It received only Acceptable on the frontal test (almost all cars today get Good there) and worse, a Poor on the side impact test. There are several other small cars that get better scores, e.g. Yaris (with optional side airbags) and Versa.

If that is not enough to dissuade you from looking at the Accent, then I think it's a good little car, and quite comfortable in GLS trim. It has a relatively smooth ride for a small car, a comfortable driver's seat with dual height adjustments, and is pretty roomy (actually more interior room than a Civic). You will want to get the package with ABS, for better braking performance.

For a best price, I have seen some dealers offer Accents for as much as $1000 or more below invoice, before rebates, but since the Accent is quite popular these days with gas at $4 a gallon, I would say a price of invoice before rebates would be a decent ceiling for negotiations. I'd try for less than that.
  • srigudisrigudi Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for info. I appreciate it.
    If I think about the crash test results, next vehicle I prefer is Toyota Corolla 09 LE.
    Can you please tell me how Corolla is rated compared to Accent? (Only in terms Safety and Crash test results).
    Thanks.
    Crash test info is publically available on www.iihs.org and safercar.gov.

The Corolla is a huge step up from the Accent in price. IMO if you are looking at the Corolla, the comparable Hyundai you should look at is the Elantra (or possibly even the Sonata, as a Sonata will come closer in real-world price to the Corolla than the Elantra!). The Elantra compares much better to the Corolla in safety and size, e.g. both have ABS standard and both got a Good on the IIHS frontal crash test (Elantra not yet rated by IIHS on the side crash test). The Elantra SE has a big advantage over the Corolla in that the SE has electronic stability control standard (it's an option and not that easy to find on the Corolla). But the Elantra SE is somewhat hard to find.
  • kevperro2kevperro2 Member Posts: 13
    The Govt crash test ratings where on the Sedan GLS. I don't think that there would be much of a difference between the Sedan & the hatchback in the frontal since they are pretty much identical from the driver's seat forward, but the rear seat of the hatchback probably has significantly better structural protection than does the sedan.

Since the hatchback wasn't tested, it is hard to say how it would do relative to the Sedan. I'd take all the test with a grain of salt. They are simple and fairly limited testing conditions, necessary for gathering data but they may not accurately reflect the magnitude of difference between cars.
    I don't see how you can make the assumption that the hatch will provide significantly better structural protection than the sedan. Do you have detailed knowledge of the structural design of the two cars?

I have seen other crash test scores where the 2-door was worse in side impact protection than the 4-door:

http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/safercar/menuitem.94b0130be143aeb342252f0835- a67789/?vgnextoid=68adf2905bf54110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD

I have also read that the design of a 4-door, with its smaller front door opening and the bracing needed for the other doors, plus the reinforced beam in those doors, makes the 4-door models safer in a side crash. So it could actually be that the Accent sedan has better scores than the hatch.

The net of it is, we don't really know if the Accent hatch would fare better or worse than the sedan in a crash. Based on the crash test scores for the Accent, I don't think I want to do a real-world test.
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    My 1999 has a fill up fuel problem, and I have to remove it from the back of the car and clean and check the shut of valve and the little filter inside the canister box,
    question has anyone ever did this , I need to know how to get that shut of valvre out and the little air filter,
  • hdehde Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 accent and hear noise in the rear wheels. I am wondering if the tires cause this or is it the rear wheel bearing assembly. I hear a moaning type noise and what would be the best way to decipher what is causing this. thanks
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    Jack the tire off the ground 1 inch,rotate the tire fast and if you hear a noise its not the tire it is a bearing or a brake part rubbing.
  • hdehde Member Posts: 9
    thanks, I will do that.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
  • windgracewindgrace Member Posts: 84
    Sorry for posting this around, still trying to figure out this forum!

A little backstory: I'm almost 21 and I'm a college student. I'm looking at buying a car and I have about $15k saved and my mom will pitch in whatever I need.

I've been looking at used car lots at dealerships for about 2 months and the price of used cars is insane right now! I could get an Accord with 100k+ miles for like $15k at a nearby Honda dealership!

So I started looking at cheap entry level cars. I come from a family that's bought Japanese automaker cars for quite some time. Good reliability with Hondas and Subarus...been *really* disappointed with Toyotas.

But the 2012 Accent is really appealing. Great warranty, list of standard features, fuel economy, styling and the price is right. My mom is iffy on buying a Hyundai, but she understands the appeal.

Everything I've read seems to be raving about every new car Hyundai comes out with. I want to know how people (consumers, not just the press behind Edmunds/KBB/Inside Line, etc) feel about Hyundai, the warranty, and the long-term reliability of the car?
  • imaginaryimaginary Member Posts: 62
    First, is there a reason why you're not going with a Subaru or Honda over the Hyundai? And by "the price of used cars is insane right now", do you mean that they're insanely low or insanely too high?

I'm not interested in Hyundai. I've never really considered their vehicles for purchase. Like your mother, it seems the reputation from my biological parents made it's way to me. It seems most people see Hyundai and Kia as cheap brands and that's their reputation thus far. They've been working to repair that image to be on par with their Japanese rivals. Right now everyone is trying to be sleek and stylish. They pay the price for focusing too much on style and looks.

The warranty... Eh... Some parts are only covered for so long in that 5 year warranty. It's not that much better than what their competitors offer. Seeing as how Hyundai and Kia are the cheaper alternative, it makes sense they can afford to cover their vehicles for longer periods. Personally, their warranties are a bit worse than what Subaru and Toyota offer in my opinion. It seems Hyundai likes to be the kind of company that values quantity over quality. I say that because like most dealers, they try to list as MANY options and accessories as they can, even listing the "packages" as it's own individual option but still have the contents listed as additional options.

Long term reliability for Hyundai, I'm not familiar with. I don't see that many Hyundai's, or I just don't notice them.
    Well, what I mean to say is that the value of used cars is insanely overpriced. 2 years ago my mom got an 06 civic with 1 owner, no-accident history and like 75k mi for like $9500. I'm looking at dealerships and I'm not finding anything even worth looking at under $14k, and those include 03-04 Civics with 100k+ miles that I see asking $13k! Since I live in the sometimes snowy parts of the Sierra Nevadas, Subarus have ridiculous resale values. An 07 with 50k miles is asking over $16k. Considering I could get into a new car with stability, traction control, bluetooth, etc for not much more I'm just trying to figure out what the best option is.

I look at the Accent and I like the styling, the fuel economy, the list of standard features, the warranty, and the price. But at the same time, I look at that stylized H on the grille and just feel a sense of worry because although I do think Hyundai has made massive strides to be competitive with the Japanese, that long-term reliability has yet to show through. And it seems like their dealership services are expensive, too. I don't know. Just looking for experiences and advice before I spend everything I've saved up! Heh.
    edited June 2011
    I've owned 3 Hyundais over the past 10-1/2 years: 2001 Elantra (sister owns it now), 2004 Elantra (still have it), and 2007 Sonata (wife's car). Note the two Elantras are two generations removed from the current car, and the Sonata is the prior generation. Even though Hyundais have improved with each new generation, these cars have been very reliable. I felt I was taking a chance on the 2001 Elantra back in the fall of 2000. It was a new design, and Hyundais had a reputation for poor quality back then. But Hyundai started focusing on quality vs. just having a low price in 1998, backed by their 10/100 warranty (first in the business). I liked that Elantra better than anything else I looked at back then, including an all-new Civic, Corolla, Focus, etc. Plus it cost less than the others and had the long warranty. So I took a chance. I was glad I did. The 2004 was an easier decision--fully loaded, sporty-looking hatchback compact with mid-sized interior room for $13.2k. I bought the Sonata used in November 2009 and it's been a great car. That was before used car prices skyrocketed, fortunately. Its KBB value is about the same as when I bought it! And the 2004 Elantra is valued at 1/2 what I paid--pretty good after 7+ years. The 2004 drives like new (just had the 60k servicing) and would look new if not for a few door dings.

But don't take the word of one owner, even a repeat owner... or especially, don't take the word of someone who has never owned a Hyundai or possibly hasn't even driven one in the past few years. Check out the JD Power and CR reliability studies, ask owners you meet what they think about their cars, and be sure to drive all the cars that might interest you including the Accent.

Now if it were me, I might look at the Accent, but if I lived in the "snowy parts of the Sierra Nevadas" like you do, I might take a hard look at a Subaru. But I'd wait, if possible, for the 2012 Impreza, a new design that looks like a much improved car especially in fuel economy. It's supposed to be out pretty soon. In the meantime, you can save up a little more money towards the car.

Another car you might look at is the SX4, which is AWD, made in Japan, is reasonably priced, and is a pretty good car, often overlooked.
    That's fantastic to hear about your experience with Hyundai! I've been keeping an eye out for last gen Sonatas for sale because they're some of the earliest vehicles to have things like stability and traction control in the midsize class, and they're two features I'd very much like to have. Any word on when these used car values are supposed to drop? I'd prefer not to spend every dime I've saved on a car (did I mention I'm a college student? heh) but if it's worth it in the long-run I will.

The 2012 Impreza looks fantastic, and as you mentioned...the jump in fuel economy is incredible for a vehicle with AWD. Something like 36 on the highway??? Crazy! My mom recently purchased a 2010 Legacy and with 14k miles on the odometer and nothing but oil changes and whatnot the care has had 0 problems (most people around here love their Subarus). We easily get 33 on the highway, sometimes up to 36 depending on where we're traveling. I think the price on a new Impreza will be significantly higher than a new Fit or Accent, though...

I believe the Camry is due for a re-model soon...? If the prices of used cars ever drop I'd like to maybe look for one...although I'm if-fy on Toyotas too after the acceleration debacle. But it seems like it's kind of disappeared, no? I haven't heard about anything in a long time about it.
  • imaginaryimaginary Member Posts: 62
    Only time will tell how much the new 2012 Subaru Impreza costs. But in terms of the worth compared to a FWD vehicle like the Fit or Accent, it's worth the money; just that bit more for an AWD vehicle that gets comparable or even BETTER MPG, has about the same reliability rate, low repair costs, it's totally worth the extra money. The price just can't be beat for Subaru's AWD, the better and impressive MPG (27/36 city/highway), and their reliability. The 2012 Subaru Impreza gets better MPG than the SX4, and the Subaru AWD system is better overall to say the least.

Total cost to own (especially repair costs), I'd pick a 2012 Subaru Impreza over a 2011-12 Suzuki SX4.

The Toyota sudden acceleration issue was mostly due to driver error as it always has been. I'm sure some people on this forum will argue against that though (in favor against Toyota). At any rate, if you're that worried, you should familiarize yourself with how to stop your car if you have a sudden acceleration problem.

Either way, AWD or not, you still should think about purchasing a good set of winter tires after you purchase the vehicle of your choice. No matter how sophisticated and powerful an AWD system, your tires are the ones that touch the snow or ground. In short, FWD with winter tires > AWD with all-season tires; FWD with winter tires < AWD with winter tires.

Oh and I'm also in the same boat as you, albeit with a lower down payment. If I had that much money as a down payment, I'd go with purchasing via financing through a (low interest rate) loan and buying the 2012 Subaru Impreza. I wouldn't try to foot the bill with a used car and repair costs no longer covered by the warranty. Especially if I'm going to college. I can afford a steady payment, I could probably not afford a sudden huge repair cost. I feel more secure with the warranty and lemon laws in addition to knowing I'm the first and only owner.
    Yes, the 2012 Subaru Impreza looks like an incredible upgrade in terms of mpgs. The new Legacy was a similar case, and Subaru managed to drop the starting price of the new Legacy by several thousand dollars. I doubt that a drop like that will occur with the Impreza, but it might be worth waiting and seeing what kind of price a base model with automatic would run me when it does come out. I know nothing about Suzukis...I think I'd rather buy Hyundai over that. Growing up, my mom had a Ford Taurus from the late 90s that has really soured the entire brand for us.

I've been reading a lot of articles about Toyota since the 'sudden unintended acceleration' incidents started occurring, and it does seem like driver error is really at fault. It's just, as mentioned before, re-sale value and buying used cars right now makes absolutely no sense vs buying a new entry level vehicle from Honda or something. I also priced a new Fit vs a new Accent, and the price is only about $800 more for the Fit. As impressive as the new numbers coming from Hyundai look on paper, I think Honda still has a far superior product.
    Since you are looking at mid-sized cars, another one to consider, new or used, is the Fusion (and if used, the Milan also). I know you can find them used for well under $15k with low miles. They are also good deals new, with some pretty big discounts. They are reliable, get good FE with the I4, and have a nice blend of ride and handling. You might find a better deal on a used Milan than Fusion because Mercury is dead (Jim). But you can get service on it from any Ford or Lincoln dealer, and IMO the Milan looks better inside and out than the Fusion.

Another one to check out is a 2009-10 Optima. Has all the safety equipment and the same I4 powertrain as the Sonata, but a bit smaller than the Sonata and a little crisper handling. And since it's a Kia, the resale value should be less than for a Sonata or most anything else.
    I have thought about the Fusion before...however as I mentioned before the thought of getting a Ford gives me the heebee jeebies, considering I grew up with a late 90s Taurus that spent more time in the shop than driven. Literally was a fixed or repaired daily car. However, talking to friends and neighbors with Fords from 07 on they seem to really love their cars. I agree the Milan is much more attractive...but can you get one with a 4 cylinder? I'm not interested in 6 cyl, because fuel economy is much more important to me. There would be no issues getting the vehicle serviced now that Mercury is dead?

Yes, my original question would apply to Kia as well as Hyundai. How do people feel about Kia as a brand and in terms of longevity of owning a car compared to a Honda or Toyota how do they hold up?

Also keep in mind, being 20-21 means my insurance is way up. If I could get away with $12k or less, I'd much prefer it. Give me more money in the bank and save me on insurance. Does anyone have any idea when used car prices are expected to drop? A year ago I could have gotten a Fusion/Milan/Optima with <35k miles for $10k....
    You can get Milans with the I4. As I mentioned, you can get servicing at Ford or Lincoln dealers. The Milan is the twin of the Fusion except some exterior and interior details.

Kia doesn't have quite as long a quality rep as Hyundai but has made huge strides in the past few years in product quality and reliability. And since they share major mechanicals e.g. some powertrains with Hyundai, those parts will be just as reliable as on Hyundais.

If anyone could predict with any accuracy when used car prices will drop, they would be able to make themselves a lot of money (and would probably be spending most of their time in Vegas vs. on these forums).

Don't waste your time lamenting over what was. If you need a car now, find the best one you can within your budget. There's good cars out there for under $10k. My 22-year-old son just bought a 2007 Accord SE with stick for about $9000 + T&L. It had 90k miles on it but they were "highway" miles and the car was in great condition, and it drives like new. He also got low insurance rates from Progressive. But he lives in a small city in Iowa and he's 22, not 20-21, so that helped him.
    Yes, I just did a little search online and I managed to find an 08 Fusion with 1-owner history and like 50k miles for $11k. I also found an 01 Camry with 2-owners but clean Carfax and like 53k miles for $9500. I guess my question is a 08 Ford more reliable than that 01 Toyota?

Surprisingly, I have yet to find an Optima or Sonata worth looking at less than $14k around these parts...

Did your son buy the Accord from a dealership or from a mom-n-pop shop? Are those shops even worth looking at? I will be turning 21 in October and I'll have 3 years of clean driving coming up in August, so my insurance will be going down (thankfully) but it's still insane! Granted, I am under my mom's for now and I'm paying $120/mo for about $500k coverage...I couldn't afford that on my own for sure!
    The Accord was from a store specializing in used cars. The store was worth looking at, for him. Remember, you're buying a car, not a dealership.

I'd go for a '08 Fusion rather than a '01 Camry if it were my choice. Fusion has more safety features, better handling, and hasn't had ten years of use. It still has a little powertrain warranty left also. The Camry might have been driven a lot of short trips, which is harder on a car than driving on the highway.

My son found out that paying for his own insurance cost a lot less than keeping him on my coverage. You can get online quotes from some companies... you should check that out if you haven't yet.

I found several 2009-10 Optimas from dealers within 100 miles of me with 20-40k miles for under $14k, on cars.com. You must live in a higher-priced area than I do.
    I have found an 08 Altima with 100k miles at a dealership that has 1-owner, no accident Carfax and routine maintenance performed that's been sitting on the lot for 3 months. I know nothing about Nissans, and from reading reviews on this sit it looks like it gets pretty good reviews but I'm noticing a lot of transmission complaints? Is there a recall or something? Might be able to get it for $10k OTD price. Missed an opportunity to nab an 04 camry xle with similar history, 70k miles and a $11k price tag. :(
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Imho. You know from the get go how it's been treated. And you have the full warranty. The first 5 years of a car's life are the best parts, I think, and so if you get a 5 year old car you've lost those golden years.

I'd go with the Hyundai, even though I'm a Honda and Mazda owner. I think the Accent Hatchback now looks like a really good car for the money. Can you drive a manual? That will save you 1k right there.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • omardethomardeth Member Posts: 1
    I have driven Hyundai's since 1995. A 95 Accent , 02 Elantra, and a 05 Elantra . I still drive the 05 . I put 147k on the Accent before i gave it to my son when i brought the 02 . He proceeded to hit every thing with it . Air bag deployed and side swiped a car . The car was a trooper ... it still ran for 40k and was running still , with ice cold air still , when he sold it and bought my 02 from me . He pretty much did the same to that car and he is still driving it .

My 05 has 147 k on it now and I am itching to get a new car . It runs great still . I would jump in it and drive to the right coast, I am on the left coast , at any time . They have all been the most reliable cars I have ever had .

Now as for the New accent , they are nice but the new body style means they are in short supply and you will not get a deal on one , The Elantra is the same . They are pretty hot sellers at the moment and you won't get a deal . As for the Subaru , if you are worried about cost how can you even look at them . They are hard at best to touch for under 20K new . Don't take this wrong , I am not saying don't get one of the Hyundai's , I am just saying you might get a better deal on another car . The dealers aren't selling them for under or much under msrp at the moment .

I would say look at the Kia's . The Soul can be had for about 15 or even a Forte . They are both in your range and they also have a great warranty . Being you are a college student they should be covered for the whole time your are in college . That alone is worth something . At least to me it is .

But don't listen to me , look for yourself . You will be driving it not I...
    Thank you everyone for your insight into buying cars! I have test driven Toyota Yaris, Corolla, Mazda 6, Subaru Impreza, a last generation Hyundai Elantra and Accent and...

Today I drove home in a 2010 Toyota Corolla. I was looking at 2 Corollas. One for $13.6k from Hertz as a previous daily rental with 44k on the odometer and one for $14.8k at the nearby Toyota dealership with 9k on the odometer and a still valid factory warranty (and a free, clean Carfax report provided) for both the bumper-to-bumper and powertrain. Needless to say, the one with 35k less miles and a warranty won out over the thousand-ish saved from the other Corolla.