Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Monte Carlo 2006 and Newer

2»

Comments

• crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    I'm thinking about buying a Monte Carlo in 2007 (I never buy the 1st model year that a car is made or revised). I test drove the 2005 version, and found the seats very comfortable, with good outward visibility (rear visibility is not that good, but stick on blindspot mirrors will alleviate that), and it's decently priced.

Does anyone know which of the 3 models or engines are most dependable?

LS/LT: 3.5 V6
    LTZ: 3.9 V6
    SS: 5.3 V8

The only features I really want are the side airbags, OnStar, XM Radio, and antilock brakes. This car will be replacing my 2003 Civic sedan. It's a great little car with 36 average MPG, but it is so underpowered that it is dangerous to drive in my mostly uphill commute. :sick: I'd rather sacrifice fuel economy for more power. :blush:
  • revitupfastrevitupfast Member Posts: 38
    All the engines you list are "New" for 06. The 5.3 V8 has been used in the GM truck line for years, although not with the cylinder deactivation system. I had a 2001 model SS with the 3.8 V6 200hp and now have an 04 with the supercharged 3.8 V6 These engines have been bulletproof, but they should be, considering the length of time they have been in service with GM. I do know the extra 40hp the 04 has is a big step up from the previous 200hp model. Whatever you choose, I think you will notice quite a difference from what you are driving now. Although I'm a bit partial to the power of the V8 (comes from my love of the old muscle cars of the 60's I guess), I would think the 3.9 in the LTZ would be a good overall choice. From what I have seen, I looks to me the LTZ with the 3.9 as the standard engine is a fairly reasonably priced rig when you add up all the features it has. Should be as quick as my 04 Supercharged SS as well since the HP numbers are the same. 36 MPG average is good mileage, you won't get that but overall I would think you should see around 22-25 mpg average.
    All in all, you will have a three year warranty so let the General take care of any problems. Hey, who knows, my dad just got a new 06 Buick Allure (Lacrosse in the US) and it has a 4 year warranty. Mabey Chev will up their warranty for the 07 models. Good Luck, I'm sure you will like the Monte, I expect to get an 07 myself. That will be 3 in a row for me.
  • crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    Thanks, revitupfast. I was thinking about getting the 3.5 or 3.9. I can't imagine having a V8. That would be overkill for me. Super-fun, but too expensive on gas and insurance (my commute is 250 miles/week!).

I know the power of the 3.8, and boy, can a car fly with that engine. It's what I have in my 2001 Firebird (my weekend car). The average I got with the Firebird was 23-25 mpg. If I drove like a granny, the highest I got was 31 mpg.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see which of the 2 new V6's are most reliable. Thanks again. :)
  • savethemontessavethemontes Member Posts: 1
    Another FWD? A lot of good points made on other posts. It does come down to preference and where you live. As the New Yorker said, RWD with Blizzaks and a driver who knows how to drive is all it takes. My take on the Monte for the past 10+ years is Chevy has failed horribly by using the name 'Monte Carlo' on the product delivered. The name is associated with a powerful race car that eats the road. Trying to combine luxury and sport didn't work so why have they stayed stale for so long? The Monte should always be a step ahead of the Mustang, if not, don't call it a Monte. They don't take 2nd or 3rd place overall on the track and yet on the road...way behind. They should start by firing the design team for continually delivering a car that seems suited for seniors. The Intimidator was a gleam of hope and also any custom Monte's I've seen show what they should deliver from the factory. The V8 should have always been an option but they also need to stop making the car as big as a boat if they want them to sell. People no longer want or can afford full size cars...get up with the times. Regardless, I still support them but I wonder how much support they've lost with their lack of innovation. Like another post mentioned, the 06 platform should have been released in 04 and by now we should have seen the meanest looking Monte in a decade...the best example I can remember was that concept they had at the '98 auto show...that was a nice Monte...check it...

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/edweb/news/Detroit/photos- /Taz.jpg
  • legault66legault66 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Chevrolet is going to produce a 2006 SS Signature Series Edition for the Montre Carlo ??? Just like we had a Tony Stewart one for 2005, a Dale Jr for 2004, etc...

Thanks
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    With Toyota declaring they will enter NASCAR racing in 2007 fielding Camrys, 2006 might be the last year that Hendrick Motor Sports fields Monte Carlos. Rick Hendrick owns the largest # of Lexus/Toyota dealerships in the USA and he would be hard pressed to continue with GM. My prediction is that Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, and other Hendrick teamates will be driving Toyota Camrys in 2007. The Monte Carlo has fallen on hard times the last few years with dwindling sales. What to do?
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Test drove a 3LT today - I was very impressed with how tight & quiet this car was. Very good pickup, and ride was smoother than I thought. Only negative (for me) - I do not like a spoiler on the back. Test car was a fairly loaded cloth-seat model (sticker was around 25.5K) - I found seats to be comfortable, back seat comfortable once you could get in. Trunk space is great. This is a lot of car for the money. I would like to try a 3.5 v-6 for comparison - but I want to make sure the engine is a u.s.-built 3.5 and not one built in Mexico. Any input on 3.5 vs. 3.9 liter engines?
  • hdmontehdmonte Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Monte Carlo 3LT 2 months ago.

So far I have racked up 3,200 miles and already done the first oil change.

I am completely satisfied so far and have no complaints. The car is solid and very smooth. The power of the 3.9L is great. I test drove a 5.3L V8 and was unimpressed. I may have based some of my feeling on the 5.3L SSR experience I had, which was uninspired to say the least. It just didn't seem to have a great deal of grunt.

For me the only positive about the SS Monte I tested vs. the 3.9L I bought was the exhaust note at start up and idle. I also liked the exhaust tips better than the stock 3.9L ones but that has been remedied already with a set of 2.5" dual wall Stainless aftermarket versions.

I think that the '06 Monte is a great choice compared to the armies of Lexi, Camry and Accords that are all to numerous on the roads.
    With a new Camaro in the wings as the NEW two door sport coupe, I believe the low selling Monte Carlos will soon be deleted from the lineup at the end of this run in 2008/9. With tremendous publicity and millions spent on NASCAR and sales still falling like a stone I don't think it would be in Chevys interest to carry on with the Monte. Get one while you can.
  • doctuckdoctuck Member Posts: 1
    Be sceptical of the 5.3 if you want, but it is nothing to laugh at. I have one, and it will MOVE!!!
  • bccovingtonbccovington Member Posts: 1
    AHMEN!
    I believe the Monte Carlo is doomed. For 2007 only 2 engines will be available. 3.5 & 5.3 V8. Watch for the next generation Monte to be called the Impala SS in 2009. Sales of the current Montes are falling rapidly.
  • chevygirlchevygirl Member Posts: 18
    Hey all! Just bought my new Monte last week- 2006 LS, black on black! Fun to drive, handles well, hauls on the highway, room for 5, plug in your ipod... it is the nicest car I have ever been in! I paid $100 over invoice, got the GM extended warranty to 75,000 miles at S plan pricing, got $500 trade in assistance, even got 4.9% financing... If you are thinking about this car, I would recommend checking it out! I love mine!
    Holly
  • blacktieblacktie Member Posts: 1
    Turbo it, add an intercooler, exhaust cutouts and larger injectors. Now, its a "Grand Monte Carlo" much like the Buick GN's of old. I've done it and it'll eat Mustangs, Vipers and Corvettes. :cry: Don't believe me? ~ Check out a Pontiac GP 4 Door set up this way doing a 1/4 mi in [11.47 sec. @ 116.12 MPH] at my site: :P
    '89 BEASTSTANG's CARCRAZY">link title
    Here's my 'Monte: :shades:
    BlackTie
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Two years ago Edmunds did not have an active Monte discussion. I test drove the base 04 Monte and found it to be a comfortable cruiser with fairly ugly styling and a lousy engine with problems (3.4).
    That 04 Monte Carlo had a dash with some styling cues from the classic 70-72 Montes. It also had seats (base version) that seemed the equal of Volvo's (I did test drive a Volvo during the same period). Chevy borrowed Toyota technology for a frame immediately behind the dash. And copied Hyundai in making the rear side panel one piece. Don't forget those great crash test scores.
    Now all of the good stuff (except for the dash styling) is mated with much better front end styling and a more reliable, more modern engine. The 06 Monte Carlo should have been the 2000 version.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Well, of course Monte Carlo sales are falling. You can't expect a stale design to continue selling. I would've likely traded my '02 for an '06 but I didn't want the "same" car. I ended up with the Impala SS but already miss my Monte Carlos "B" pillar that didn't direct air into my ear while driving with the windows down. I also miss the sportier seats in my old Monte Carlo. Monte Carlos will sell again if they would only restyle it. As for the Camaro taking over the coupe slot, there is room for both if both are great cars. I like Camaros but would choose the Monte Carlo for higher comfort levels. Chevy used to be able to sell multiple lines of cars. Toyota does it today. As long as they all are quality built and have their distinct place in the lineup, the sales will follow.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hey, blacktie, why don't you put some of those photos up on your CarSpace page?

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who own a car which has cylinder deactivation technology and is happy/unhappy with the fuel mileage it receives. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 3, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information and what car you own.

Thanks,

Chintan Talati

Corporate Communications

Edmunds.com
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    Why would I want to spend my hard earned money on a rental car? Same with the Impala and other GM clones. When GM starts selling to individuals and not corporate rental fleets I might be interested in GM again.

Front drive, muscle car (SS)? Get real. That turn signal is the same design I had on my '82 Z28 when I was in High School.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    These cars look better now than they did B4 from some angles. The problem is that its the same car in side and out with a new radio and some new engines. It should have been redesigned like many here say.

Its sad that GM is gonna retire yet another great name. Good thing the Camaro is comming back.

The values of these things are also gonna drop if they stop production.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,087
    There are a couple things I wish GM would do/would have done with the current Monte:

1) Put some chrome trim inside the taillights a la Nissan Altima...would spruce up the rear.

2) I cannot understand how starting with either the '04 or '05 model (can't recall which), they took the bodyside molding off, and it's not even an option! Makes the car look bloated, not to mention susceptible to parking lot dings! If I bought a new one, I'd have the dealer body shop install the moldings from the earlier car and charge me for it!

Bill P. from OH
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • zepp_leppardzepp_leppard Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure what u have heard about the 06 monte SS, but it will eat up a new mustang GT. I traded in my 02 SS on the 06 and have had the pleasure of beating lots of mustangs, suped up GTP's, nitrous civics and hemi chargers. The RWD drive have traction issues off the line and i can take 3 lengths on them and usually hold it. I beat a beautiful black hemi charger last night, not by 3 lengths but a length none the less, nothing like seeing a losers headlights in your rear view. WHATEVER you have heard about not being in the same ball park is pure BS, this thing pulls so hard it is hard to explain, it hauls [non-permissible content removed], believe me, i have made some people very sad after they revved thier motors at me. Just because you read numbers in a magazine doesn't mean squat, GM did an awesome on this 5.3 V-8, nice rumble, revs like a frikkin f-1. As far as i'm concerned the Mustang GT is totally overrated.
  • jglenn66jglenn66 Member Posts: 1
    so the ss monte will beat the R/T and the GT? I have drove the 06 ss and was impressed with its aggressiveness. so do you feel it would be a better buy than the SRT-8 R/T AND GT?? :confuse:
  • stim001stim001 Member Posts: 1
    I've recently read that Chevy will again lose the Monte Carlo line! What's up with this? Sales down? Can't sell em? I don't think they're trying hard hard enough! Every other model (well all most every other one) has massive incentives! Thousands off better rebates Etc, Etc, Etc. but every time I've tried to purchase a Monte they are higher priced than most people are willing to pay. I've owned 4 of the 6 generations, and have loved each one more than the next. My newest is a 2006 SS. I'll tell you all that this the hottest thing I've ever owned! It'll do 0-60 in less than 5 sec and without the traction control I'd burn the tires right off the beast! The MC I traded for it was a 2004 Supercharged SS. It had a good top end but it doesn't even compare to this 06! Now I've read where Nascar/GM is going to an Impala SS. Don't get me wrong I "Like" the Impala but I and so do alot of others "Love" the Monte Carlo! I hope it won't come to that again but.... I guess we'll see huh? Hey not everyone in this country is married with 2.5 kids! Two doors vs 4 I'll take the two!
  • nicklesage2000nicklesage2000 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 06 Monte Carlo with the 3.9L about three months ago. At first I really liked but I have started to notice creaking and cracking noises coming from the dash and the door panels. I have taken it into the dealership and they have basically told me that this is the way the car is made. Just wandering if anybody else has experienced these same things. My wife seems to think that it is because I am crazy, but I still here it and it is driving me crazy. Any suggestion or comments?
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    I noticed that the seats in the non-SS Montes are not as comfortable in the slightly redesigned 2006 and newer Montes as the seats in the 2000-2005s. The 2000-2005 base and mid level Montes had seats that rivaled Volvos for comfort.
    The good news for you is that the 3.9 is a much better engine than the troubled and dated 3.4 the Monte had from 2000-2005.

Be very specific about the noises that are driving you crazy. If you don't know where it is coming from or are not 100% sure, then tell them when and at what speed the sound occurs.

Example: once I owned a hatchback that had an intermittent squeak. I would insist to the dealer it was a problem with the hatchback's rear upswinging "door". The squeak was actually in the rear seat mechanism that held it upright on one side.

Anyone buying the evidently now discontinued Montes should bargain hard and be patient. Resale will be awful, perhaps almost at lowly Saab levels.
    Chevrolet announced March 1/07 Monte Carlo will cease production at the end of this years model run, probably June. GM is gearing up for more advertising of the Impala models.
  • snowandtorquesnowandtorque Member Posts: 4
    I like the overall design and function of the new Monte Carlo. The sales are dropping on the Monte because they have no sales group particularly. Kids who want the speed and hoursepower think they are out of the movies, and go out and buy their little 100 hp civics and little rice burners like everyone else. It is a large 2 door car, with a V8 (well v6 if you don't have the SS) The Monte has a select market type. People like me who like it and respect the HP have kids and can be won over by the Impala due to having 4 doors. It is just a hard market out there for a large sized, 2 door V8 car. Alot harder than a 2 door gas sipper, or a 2 door small coverible coupe with 200 HP, or even a high powered 4 door sedan. Think of the Solara, or other like style cars....they have sales issue too, and Toyota pretty much owns the market right now for car sales. GM for the first time in a long time reported a profit, so if the best selling car in America (yes I hate to say it, but it is true) Toyota can't sell a large 2-door sedan, how can our beloved Chevrolet do it....I think they (short of small mods we would all like to see) Have designed the Monte in the best profitable way possible....."hey guys...we aren't selling these....what can we do to make our fellow Americans buy it?.........throw a big [non-permissible content removed] engine in it as an option...yeah that will do it" Hey it turned my head....haha
  • veeeeryunhappyveeeeryunhappy Member Posts: 1
    yes i have a 07 model we bought about 5 month's ago we did'nt notice the paint comming off until about a month after we bought it the dealer wicth is royal oak's of paducah,ky said that we have gotten something on the paint but there is no way and they will not fix it there is a noise in the steering and the door's are rattling the stereo wont turn up right when you turn it down then it get's louder i dont think the car drive's as good as the other 5 monte carlo's i have owned.
  • karenpennkarenpenn Member Posts: 2
    :mad: & :sick: I bought an 06 SS and I have had nothing but problems with it. I have replaced the dash twice and it is now coming apart again. The power steering pump is going out. There are creaking and cracking noises coming from up under my car. The back end had to be repainted, the tire sensors are constantly going off. I have never had this many problems with a vehical and Chevy will not do anything about it but give me the run around. I did not pay $32,000 for a car to end up in a rental all the time. So I know what you are going through.
  • karenpennkarenpenn Member Posts: 2
    :mad: & :sick: I bought an 06 SS and I have had nothing but problems with it. I have replaced the dash twice and it is now coming apart again. The power steering pump is going out. There are creaking and cracking noises coming from up under my car. The back end had to be repainted, the tire sensors are constantly going off. I have never had this many problems with a vehical and Chevy will not do anything about it but give me the run around. I did not pay $32,000 for a car to end up in a rental all the time. I have test drove other 06 SS and the dashes in them were also lifting up. BE CAREFUL ABOUT BUYING AN 06 SS
  • defyantdefyant Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2007 Monte Carlo and was dissappointed to find the Chevy emblem on the airbag/horn cover was dented. Apparently the entire airbag has to be replaced to correct this visual defect. I researched and found other Chevy's have this same problem. The dealer claims because it is not recalled that it can't be fixed under the warranty. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any creative ideas on a way to cover that center emblem? I think Chevy could make a simple stick on replacement cover. I hope to hear some feedback.
  • redrider06redrider06 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2006 Chevy SS Monte Carlo with DOD (Displacement On Demand) I am very satisfied with the performance and the gas milage.
  • redrider06redrider06 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 06 SS Monte Carlo and have already tamed a few Mustang GT's. The horsepower is great and the fuel economy isn't bad either, I average 20 mpg city and 30 mpg highway, no I' m not joking, if you drive conservatively this kind of gas milage is acheivable.
  • new06ownernew06owner Member Posts: 6
    Just picked up a used 06 SS, very nice, 24k on it.......one question for anyon out there, it has rally stripes were these production form the factory....is there a way to tell or not
  • hatemy06ssmchatemy06ssmc Member Posts: 2
    Completely frustrated with my 06 Super Sport. It has 40k on it and at 15k the power steering went out, front bumper had to be repainted and now at 40k my power steering is on the #@*% list once again. 4 thousand miles out of warranty and I can not believe from what I have read on here that GM has not issued a recall on these vehicles. I went to their website to research recalls and the corvettes and silverados all have recalls on the steering issues. Has anyone else had a repeat of the steering going out? PLEASE REPLY!!!!!! Common sense tells me that a ma jority of these vehicles have all the same componenets as far as PAINT, POWER STEERING HOSES, PUMPS, STEREOS................. With the history I am really hoping that GM fixes my car at no expense to me because my husband wants a Vette!!!
  • hatemy06ssmchatemy06ssmc Member Posts: 2
    Curious to know how you like your car, I have had a few problems with mine. Steering issues and paint replacement and the tire monitor system sucks.
    liken it, main computer has ben replaced and the tire monitor freaks once in a while, otherwise good, no isues, nice car, wont ever get rid of it
    Hey there all,

No issues with the 06 ss I have, tire monitor freaks once in a while otherwise solid. Looking for production numbers on em, heard they are WAY LOW, 07"s also. Can anyone help.
  • thankgoditsav8thankgoditsav8 Member Posts: 2
    I bought an ' 06 new. So far, so good. Your question about the rally stripes may have been answered for you already. The ' 06 did'nt have that option available, but the ' 07 did. Your car, although, may have had that update added as I've been thinking about doing the same to my SS. A dealership bodyshop would be able to tell if it's a GM update. Hope that helps.
  • thankgoditsav8thankgoditsav8 Member Posts: 2
    My ' 06 Monte SS currently has 11,000 miles on it and I've had the sensor for one of the wheels for the tire monitoring system replaced under warranty and even though it didn't fail, the power steering hose replaced on a recall by GM stating it could fail in a colder climate. ( I live in Minnesota.) Otherwise, no problems. My brother bought a new ' 05 Silverado and both the heads were found to be warped less than 2000 miles out of warranty. Expensive fix needless to say. GM refused to back him on repair costs. He won't by another Chevy because of it. Hope you had better luck with GM fixing your steering pump.
    Can aynone tell me where the ouside temp sensor is on the 2006 SS. Mine says 40 belwo zero and this is tide in with the air, meaning the air does nto work being that low.....

thanks, hot in chicago
    Hey, anyone out there now where to obtain the SS proscution numbers on the 06 and 07?
    Hey, anyone out there avail or know where to get the production numbers on the SS for 2006? Been all over the internet and even contacted Chevy, they don’t hand out trim level numbers just overall production. They are telling there was slightly over 34k that year.
  • ryan35ryan35 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 07 Monte carlo ss It just turned 2years in sep 09, Just had my fourth battery installed today an G.M thinks it is just faulty batteries hmm would the company be in business if all they made were faulty batteries they are denying its an electrical problem and taking the easy way out till my warranty expires then I will be on the hook for repairs never G.M again over 20 times in the shop in two years!!!
  • tirenewbytirenewby Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Monte Carlo LTZ V6. Curently, I have 235x55x17 tires on. They're about done and ready to be replaced. My step mom pulled some tires she bought a couple years ago out of the basement. They're brand new, but they're high performance tires Potenza RE750 205x40x17. Will they work with my car? I'm not sure what she bought them for. She didn't say. The tread is nearly new if not new.

Anything I need to know about them if I put them on? Will they fit? I did a little research on the tire. I'm just not sure if it will fit properly on the wheel. If it does, then I would just have to worry about them looking a little funny compared to the old ones, correct? Help.