Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caliber

Comments

• davertdavert Member Posts: 23
    ...along with all the powertrain info and stuff... just posted to http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/caliber.html
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    Tsk Tsk Tsk! That thing is gonna flop so hard! WoW! Really it's not attractive at all. :confuse:
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    The Caliber looks like Chrysler's next big success. The styling maybe aggressive, however Chrysler is trying to inject some style into this segment, they want their car to be noticed due to it's styling. No Corolla, Civic, Focus ever looked that good.
    Dodges are known for bold styling and powerful engines, and the Caliber is going to be no exception.

As for the interior,it's bland but functional. Maybe some chrome or aluminum accents here and there would spruce up the cabin.
  • charley9charley9 Member Posts: 48
    Power, AWD, fuel economy, room to haul stuff! and American? I have to be dreaming! I don't give a damn what it looks like, I've been waiting for this thing ever since my first Dodge Colt Vista! Knowing Detroit antics though, the other shoe will soon descend and my bubble will burst..........
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    I am interested in Dodges Caliber because it is not Neon Based.The things I will look at are fuel economy and reliability. I think the Hatchback styling.is a plus. You get maximum utility out of the car with out being as tall as a refrigerator. More stable and less wind resitance than a mini Suv.The Diesel would be a good option.I know for me the fuel economy will be a way bigger issue than performance. I think Honda's new Civic may put pressure on other makers regarding fuel economy. That is a good thing.
  • klogdklogd Member Posts: 1
    With gas at $3.00/gallon, I was really holding my breath that the new 2006 Civic Hybrid would be my next car..... until Honda released pictures of it. Interesting as a hairy snake, and about as ugly, too. That being the case, I agree with aveman. If they put the VW TDI deisel in this car and sold it at a decent price, I think they would sell the heck out of this thing!
  • leadfoot_edleadfoot_ed Member Posts: 22
    Replying to: dialm4speed (Aug 10, 2005 2:01 am)
    The beauty of a turbo is that it gets great fuel economy... if you can keep that lead foot off the pedal.
    That's the key. I used to work for a magazine where I did vehicle reviews. I test drove the Mitsu Evo. Granted, I had my foot in it most of the time, but even considering that, the fuel economy (or lack thereof) shocked me. 14 mpg! Conversely, I drove a Saab 9-3 convertible with the H.O. 2.0L Ecotec turbo, and it averaged 24 mpg in mixed driving. Not too shabby, IMHO, especially considering that's what I averaged on my last tank in my Protege5.
  • leadfoot_edleadfoot_ed Member Posts: 22
    With gas at $3.00/gallon, I was really holding my breath that the new 2006 Civic Hybrid would be my next car..... until Honda released pictures of it. Interesting as a hairy snake, and about as ugly, too. That being the case, I agree with aveman. If they put the VW TDI diesel in this car and sold it at a decent price, I think they would sell the heck out of this thing!
    Why the VW TDI? Honda has one heck of a turbodiesel in Europe. 140 horse and about 220 lbs./ft. I'm sure as soon as they can get the regulatory and emissions issues worked out, they'll offer it in the states (I hope). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. At first, I thought the new Civic is kind of "out there" but it's growing on me. Maybe it's that "snake hair" that's growing on me. ;)
  • eirikbiorneirikbiorn Member Posts: 1
    The VW TDI because DC has already made project agreements with VW to develop hybrid engines, not to mention it is dubbed as one of the "World Engines" that DC seems to be obsessed with. Besides, for 2-300 you can buy a chip that would boost the measly 90-110hp to nearly 170.

Also, I could be wrong, but isn't the diesel in the Mercedes and the Liberty from the same development projects?

Anyway, all I gotta say is, with gas at 3.00, and my 50 min drive to work, if DC produces this thing with AWD and a diesel, I might buy two. ;)
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    I think my interest in the Caliber is about over.Chrysler Corp. decision to cut back the 7 year /70,000 mile warranty to 3year/36,000 in 2006 is a major reason.They are indeed bringing some appealing products out like the Caliber. But cutting the warranty the same year you introduce an all new model is no vote of confidence. It seems more like a cover my corpprate behind in case these bright technologies don't work right. I would not want to take that risk. Also it will be interesting to see what the Mitsubishi warranty on a simalar platfort vehicle will be.I am sure they realize that Hyundai and Kia have no problem giving there products a vote of confidence. I would pay close attension to the powertrain part of the warranty
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    The Dodge website has some additional information (finally) on the Caliber - no hard information, some puff stuff on the CVT and engine family, pix of the concept.

On another website, a reliable poster has indicated first cars will be at dealers on Jan. 9. That would explain why they discontinued the Neon (leaving Dodge with no small car at a time when people are looking for small car gas mileage).

I don't much like the looks of the Caliber, but I do like the packaging (Matrix/PT Cruiser vanlet) and hope Chrysler worked some of its old time engine magic on the new family of engines.

I have heard the Caliber platform will form the basis for the next PT, and I suspect the new "world" 2.4 will be replacing the existing 2.4 in the PT. Since I am interested in getting another PT (on my short list!) I am therefore very interested in how the 2.4 will perform in the Caliber.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    the new Mitsubishi Lancer platform. Humm...need more information than that. Well, having said that, this is the next best looking Detroit car since Pontiac first started popping out Solstice's a few months ago!

All of a sudden the Asian makers and now American makers are thinking small is good again! Could $3.00/gal ghastly have something to do with that?

No, I think they got the styling right on this Caliber. If they can offer a 5-speed tranny and keep the price down (but still include obvious needs like air conditioning) I would be interested in test driving one at least. If what I think is gonna happen happens, like the Caliber adding up to a grand total of something more like $18,500 before T & L I'm slinking away from it like I would if I accidently caught a swath of Dennis Rodman's breath at an unfortunate time. That is the historicity for American car makers, overprice the thing to take it out of reality and try to make everybody think that the car's are really worth it. I will follow the development of this one along, though.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• vcrpro3vcrpro3 Member Posts: 1
    Just another example of Eurocrap design being foisted upon the sheeple buyer...... :lemon:
    I wouldn't call the new face of Chrysler Eurocrap, I think it's all-American. It's overused by DCX, but in a small form like on the Caliber it looks fairly good to me. A lot better choice than the Dodge Neon for looks.

The thing I'll be watching is how the price chimes out eventually. If it follows suit for American cars, even small cars, it will be initially priced as a lure at a reasonable amount. Then the second stickers and additional charges will storm in and with the features and options you want on it the car will end up costing you $18,000 before T&L chomps in. Not a viable option at all. We shall see.

I don't know if it's Eurocrap but it's certainly BAD design! It will be interesting to see if those that like the Neon SRT-4 will warm up to this POS!
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    A 2.0 Turbodiesel with 140 hp, gobs of torque, coupled to an AWD system and delivering 40 mpg highway with hatchback versatility? From a domestic make? As long as the styling doesn't turn out hideous, I think it could do very well. I'd be interested in one if they offer AWD with the Diesel and CVT.
    I agree, this new Dodge Caliber sounds fairly good for a domestic rig, now if the mechanicals can prove to be trustworthy. I like the looks of it as we see it in the concept model, hopefully Dodge won't change it at all.

• 2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    I will put a Dodge Caliber TDI on my very short list! It sounds weird to say Dodge TDI (especially owning a 2002 VW TDI). I love my Golf TDI (44mpg city/49mpg hwy). We put almost 20K mi on it per year and only had 1 glitch with the EGR. I would say it's reliable. I will overlook some of the styling on the Caliber to get the TDI.

Diesel VWs are in huge demand. People are selling 2002/2003 TDI models for almost the same price as when they were brand new. I never thought a $21K TDI would be an investement (sorta).

Anyway - I am going to go to dodge website and sign up for Caliber updates. :)

2FastDre.
    I've noticed a few statements about the Caliber being a "bad" design. Could someone please spell out the why of this? I must be missing something........
    Just look at it! It is truely ugly compared to the car it's replacing. Plus what is it trying to be?? A PT cruiser/ multi purpose wanna be?? Instead of sleek and sporty, it just looks akward. Dodge is supposed to be the sporty division of Chrysler, and this block on wheels doesn't cut the mustard.
    pleasing front end grille. It is designed with the same look at either end, it is an equal distance from the center of the grille to the outer edge of the left headlight and equadistant on the other side to the outer edge of the right headlight.

Does that sound too obvious? Look at some cars, some of the designs are horrid, or, they're so plain they look bland, or even ugly.

The Dodge Caliber has an appealing look to me because they have taken the oversized look of the 300M and made it smaller and more compact, yet retained the same design integrity, which, IMHO, looks very good.

Don't worry about the design, they're talking about the body style, they don't like it for some reason. That happens a lot, we are all individual people who think differently. We won't all think alike about a car's styling nuances.

Now, if someone has actually driven a 2006 Dodge Caliber write of your experience in here. Also, share your knowledge of it's electronics or powertrain so we can learn more about it.

Once again, if Dodge can keep the price down, like it was on the Neon, they will sell truckload after truckload after ship load of these Caliber's. I remain interested!

From what I have seen of the concept and spy photos, this is not a design that grabs me - and I liked the Intrepid, Neon, new 300, Charger (and Scion xB, PT Cruiser, HHR, Matrix, Vibe) - but this doesn't grab me.

On the other hand it isn't a Pacer or Gremlin.

So my main concerns are:

How good will the new "world" 2.4 engine be (and will it be available, or mainly just the 2.0)?

How good will the CVT be (I usually prefer stick shift, but am open to something new if it has a performance or fuel economy benefit)?

Will it have safety equipment like ABS, side curtains, stability control? Since it will be a brand new '07, hopefully DMC will take the lead like it did in 94 with side impact protection and make side curtains standard. Remember, car manufacturers pledged to make side curtains standard in light of the increasing truck/car side impact fatalities.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    You know, other than the unfortunate insistence on carrying the Ram nose forward with this model, I'm OK with the styling and like the concept, and I'm a big Neon fan (from day 1).

The big failing for me is that in a world of endangered RWD compacts, we have yet one more FWD offering.

Fix the nose, lower the profile just a touch, put the power to the correct wheels (OK, I'll settle for 50/50 AWD) and I think there's gold in them thar hills...
    You said, in part:

The big failing for me is that in a world of endangered RWD compacts, we have yet one more FWD offering.

Until stability control became a reality, it was probably a good thing RWD compacts were an endangered species. I remember friends spinning out RWD Corollas, there were late to the game in switching out to FWD, and I spun out a BMW 3 series on the freeway, no less (that was scary).

Actually, RWD isn't that endangered, BMW has the 1 series in Europe, and Dodge/Chrysler have their admittedly larger RWD's series (Charger, 300, Magnum).

You added:

(OK, I'll settle for 50/50 AWD)

If you are will ing to pop the money for it, I understand there will be both an R/T model and SRT model, and one or both of them may be available with AWD; one of the intended advantages of this new design is that the chassis is very adaptable to AWD. Of course, that was one of the touted advantages of the European replacement for the Focus chassis, which got adopted by Mazda, but of course there are no AWD Mazda3's yet - so even for a zoom zoom company it's going to be driven by what people will pay.

For example, right now I can get a Cobalt SS, non-supercharged, or a Subaru Impreza for about the same price; but the Cobalt will go on serious sale in the next few months, or after Christmas, etc., and I have a GM Card, while the Subarus is a "premium" compact - so while Subarus has the vastly superior AWD (and has been building them for years) the Cobalt is going to look much more attractive to me.

OTOH, when the Caliber comes out, if they are generous with which models they drop the 2.4 into, and have low prices...then I will get interested fast.

As other posters have noted, though, DMC has been notorious over the years for pricing their products over-market and being stingy with rebates.
    I guess when I look at the design of a vehicle or any machine I try to look at the total package and not just the tin. Kind of a form/function thing? IMHO the Caliber design has a lot going on. Sure its no beauty contest candidate but when I'm behind the wheel I want it to get me up those icy hills, use as little fuel as possible, haul my stuff and last 100K with minor irritation. If it does all that then I'm afraid I have to call it a good design package no matter what it looks like. I have an Outlander and when I got it I bought it on function and accepted that it was visually problematic. Two years later the appearance has grown on me and it does all the things I mentioned previously and does them well. I just have a feeling that a little black Caliber with AWD and aa 2.4 might be a very similiar experience. Most automotive designs are compromises unless you can spend mega dollars and even then you can find something. I'll bet Caliber will be just fine. Especially into the second and third years of production. There is a lot of Lancer in there and they are fairly good on the road.
    How good will the new "world" 2.4 engine be (and will it be available, or mainly just the 2.0)?

I believe that the first model to use the GEMA 2.4 is the new Hyundai Sonata. That should provide a bit of insight into what the 2.4 in the Caliber would be like, although it will probably be tuned differently.
    Wait! Wait! Wait! It's built on a Mitsu-crappy platform, with an ugly design, and a Hyundai motor?? Buh-Hawww hawww haawwww! I know it's doomed now!

And what is with everyone and AWD?? I've never understood the big fasination with AWD.
  • ratbertratbert Member Posts: 22
    It's safety and winter traction. In the winter I can actually drive up my driveway while the people around me who don't have subarus park at the road and walk 400+ feet up a steep hill to their house. Not fun when it's 10 below. Likewise my commute takes me 1000 ft down to my job (over 22 miles). For safety I think of it as accident prevention rather than protection during the accident. I was driven off the road recently and had it not been for AWD, I would surely have skidded and flipped. Instead I was able to maintain control and stop (albeit in a rather awkward position on the road). After which I had to chase down the person who ran me off because she just kept driving.

I won't buy a car without it. If Dodge makes this with a manual xmission, diesel, and AWD, it's mine!
    you were in a Subaru and she was in a _________?

Just curious what the offending driver was driving while her mind was on rage and offense. Sounds like Seattle area driving. I sure don't miss driving around Seattle.

Building on the new Mitsubishi Lancer platform should have no negative connotation to it right now. I view it as a positive, firmly positive.

The design looks good, a mini-form of the usually overly-played-up Chrysler nose.

Also, using one of the new DCX-Hyundai-Mitsubishi world motors should not be viewed as negative, it is a positive thing.

The Dodge Caliber is a new, upbeat vehicle from Dodge. Sporty and economical and a big improvement over the clown car Neon, IMO.

I don't get the AWD fascination either. Potential performance opportunities in certain traction challenged situations (rally competitions) aside, the average driver today is no safer with AWD than FWD or RWD with apporpriate footings (read "snowtires: or "chains").

I'd speculate the average driver is perhaps even more at risk, because just like they mistakenly think ABS will shorten stopping distances, they assume AWD allows them to disregard conditions. Blizzard coverage on the news always shows some vehicle piled into a gully or ditch, or rammed into a snow bank, and nine out of ten of those are AWD or 4WD SUVs!

For my purposes, the only thing AWD would be good for is to mitigate FWD wheelspin under hard acceleration, that wheelspin being a totally useless trait. I would much prefer to have controlable RWD wheelspin on tap for when I want it, so AWD is a sacrifice for me.

I'm sorry, I just don't buy the safety thing.

micweb: In the US, we are starved for RWD compacts, pure and simple. I like 'em small, I like 'em with backpacks, and I like 'em driving the back wheels. Hard to keep me satified these days. Real hard. :(

It's a cool little car, and a sign (as with the Magnum) that people, in Auburn Hills at least, have pulled their heads out and realized there are reasons why five-door cars sell big in the rest of the world, and further that it can work here. More power to them.
  • smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    On icy roads, especially with black ice, you need FWD or AWD.
    If you don't understand the need for AWD I suggest you move to Western or Central PA for a Winter. Some time on rural roads that the township just didn't get to for 3 or 4 days in Januaary will have you worshipping at the altar of AWD. It's even nice in the Summer. It counters the shuttlecock FWD tendencies and is great on PA off camber curves that I'm sure the DOT builds on purpose! I bought my first in '83 and have never looked back.
    I spent enough winter drive time in the Sierra Nevada in my (sadly sold off) '65 Olds 98 convertible to understand the conditions and the dynamics, friends; I still disagree with the bulk of the conclusions.

It's true, my perspective comes from encountering those conditions mostly by choice, so I won't harp on it further.

Anywho, with the limitations in the marketplace for what I like to drive, the next car is most likely going to be AWD anyway, since I absolutely refuse to re-enter the FWD world except at bayonet-point! There are two Quattro prospects on my short list right now.

As to the Caliber, I understand missing the Neon, which to my mind was a grossly under-rated platform, but this concept looks good to me in general. Could use a little more sophistication about the nose and butt, and a slightly lower profile would be nice, but I think they've got something here.

As to Mitsu, I've had two Mitsu-Mopar products in the past, and both gave excellent service at remarkable value, and were fun beside. Mitsu may make some boneheaded gaffs from time to time (like a 3.8L six in an over-sized Eclipse), but they have some serious prowess still on board, and have enjoyed good partnership in Auburn HIlls.

The pricing thing is, IMO, not a Chrysler problem. I have mostly found their suggested pricing to be well positioned and value-creative. The dealers are the ones who set price when it comes to ridiculous ADMs on new hot ticket cars, not the mfr.

I know three of four people personally who had to have a PT Cruiser fresh off the blocks and paid uptickets on them to get the first shot. More [non-permissible content removed] them, says I, more [non-permissible content removed] them! ;)
    Wait! Wait! Wait! It's built on a Mitsu-crappy platform, with an ugly design, and a Hyundai motor?? Buh-Hawww hawww haawwww! I know it's doomed now!

And what is with everyone and AWD?? I've never understood the big fasination with AWD.

The GEMA (Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance) - Mitsubishi, DCX and Hyundai have a joint venture to engineer a new line of 4 cylinder engines. I believe that GEMA is a separate company actually. Each manufacturer can tweak the engine to different specs. This combines resources from the three car makers together to engineer a better engine than any one could alone. The one in the Caliber will have dual VVT.

The 2.4 in the Hyundai Sonata (Still haven't found out for certain whether it is a GEMA or not) does 24/33 with a 4 speed auto. The 2.4 in the Honda Accord gets 24/34 with the advantage of a 5 speed auto and about 80 lbs less to move. Hyundai is advancing rapidly, quickly catching up with the other makes. I would say by now Hyundai has indeed caught up.

The Caliber with 2.4 is said to be rated at around 170hp. If the 2.4 in the Sonata is indeed a GEMA engine, perhaps with less weight and CVT it could manage 25/35 or better even with AWD in a Caliber.

Why do I want AWD? Well, I like the ability to get around in the snow since I live in a mountainous area. Will I never get stuck? Of course not, but I will be better off than if I had FWD. With the hatchback design, there is cargo versatility, and with AWD it is a viable alternative to someone who is looking at small SUVs ("cute utes") which aren't so small anymore (RAV4 will purportedly offer a 3rd row option).
    I read the dodge.com Caliber brochure and it states that Diesel is likely for Europe only. :( I then emailed dodge about it and asked for diesel for North America. I got a response that neither confirmed nor denied anything. It said: "We don't have any specifics. Please sign up to Caliber updates for more information."

So maybe there is still hope for Diesel in US. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

As to AWD discussion: AWD can be a life saver in Rocky Mountain winter driving. Denver area is one of the most profitable markets for Subaru (for obvious reasons). If AWD is not available, then I would choose FWD. RWD is very nice in the summer, but it's difficult to handle in the winter. Driving a AWD Legacy for a few years just gave me the confidence to venture out at any moment. When others would say: it's snowing - I am staying home. I would say: I can meet you at your house. Of course, the tire choice have a lot to do with it as well. And AWD does not help you to stop on ice, so the driving style has to change. My favorite technique is to try to aggressive braking just after when I pull out of my driveway. There is usually nobody in the neigborhood and trying aggressive braking would give me a very good idea about the current road condition. I can then adjust my driving style accordingly.

2FastDre.
    between $14,800 and $16,500. If you can find a Chrysler dealer that doesn't add a second sticker and Dodge keeps to it's word on price this one may be one to go check out. Making all models have air conditioning standard and putting in the 6 airbags will make for good selling points as well.

My point is that Dodge will sell a lot more of these if they include most power features, air conditioning, etc. as standard equipment for the lower end of that range ($14,800) and leave the advanced safety features as options, such as stability track upgrades, and AWD, etc.

If they could sell one of these for $15,000 that is 5-speeds and includes AWD as an available option that would be incredible. I would expect a price of around $18,500 for one of these that has AWD as an option. Love to see some firm pricing details on these (if you can't already tell that!). :D

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103380

It seems that Dodge is seriously considering the Diesel for US market. They are seeing what it will take to market a diesel in the US. The decision to go for it or not will be made soon (30-45 days), but it won't be offered for a couple of years unfortunately.

So, if you are interested, send Dodge an email supporting the idea of a diesel.
    California emissions regulation will not allow a diesel. I don't know how many other states are like this, plus I think most Americans don't care for diesel cars.
    This is strange. I thought Caliber is using the 2.0 L TDI diesel engine (a version of which is already on United States roads in the VW Passats). Why not use the same engine and not have to do all the testing and certification? It doesn't make a lot of sense.

There are 5 states that do not allow sales on new diesel vehicles that weigh less than 6000 lbs (California and New York are among them). VW may overcome this in 2007/2008 with uses of advances particulate filters and better diesel fuel (low sulfur).

I am still waiting... :(

2FastDre.
    CARB is the Calif Air Resources Board. They have set the anti-diesel regulations. However, in July 2006, mandatory low suplhur diesel will make it possible for cars to be sold in CA, NY, ME, MA, and one or 2 other new england states.

Regardless, Dodge has to certify every engine/transmission pair. So if they use a VW TDI (which seems strange to me when they have Mercedes to work with), it doesn't matter. They have to recertify it with their own transmission.

BMW has stated that they WILL bring diesel to the US once ULSD is mandatory (next summer). No more details than that.

For AWD and those that don't understand it, you've clearly not had to drive in snow often. I live in upstate NY and get hammered. Without AWD, I would not even be able to get up to my house. Not to mention that me job does not allow for "snow days". Driving in a snowstorm, down from (or up to) the mountain, without AWD would literally be impossible. I will not buy another car without AWD. Is it a "fascination"? no. It's a necessity. Chains? They are limited to 30MPH and I don't think they are even allowed on the roads in NY. Snow tires? Maybe, but I feel much safer with GOOD tires on my subaru. There's nothing like the feel of AWD.
  • gwidogwido Member Posts: 25
    Snow tires? Maybe, but I feel much safer with GOOD tires on my subaru.

Do you mean snow tires cannot be good? Of course snow tires are not a good choice in the summer. But with two sets of tires, you have the best of both worlds. ;)
    Bingo!
    gwido - you completely misinterpreted my statement. I certainely do not mean that snow tires are not good. Snowtires are excellent. I also made the assumption that everyone considers "snowtires" as tires that you put on in the fall and take off in the spring.

My emphasis in capitalizing the word "good" was not to compare it to snow tires. It was to compare it to tires that may be new, but cheap and poor in any weather condition on any car.

So my comparison was between a FWD with snowtires in winter / other quality tires in summer and a subaru with a set of quality tires year round. To restate myself, I still feel much safer in my subaru that I would with any FWD. I've driven both extensively in severe weather and my subaru outback 5 speed AWD takes the cake. hands down.
    In reading the latest Autoweek piece, the company's stance is that it is not really a replacement for the entry-level Neon after all (duh) but rather at the "second-car" market. Maybe abandoning the low-profit entry market to Korean competitors is a good idea, and maybe it ain't. Interesting strategy though.

The one thing that won't sell me is the CVT. If you want to improve the automatic experience, then a DSG is the way to go. Since it's a Mitsu to begin with, and they apparently have a tranny ready for the next EVO, seems like it wouldn't be that hard to mate them.
    What does DSG mean?
    Direct Shift Gearbox.

It's Audi's term for its twin-clutch sequential. Not only shifts faster and more cleanly than a manual but also has no detrimental power loss associated with torque converters. Think of it as a manual with no third pedal that can also go full-auto mode. It was developed for the rally circuit.

I've driven Honda CVTs. No thanks. Not my cuppa at all!
    If you go to the official Dodge website and click on the Caliber button in the lower right hand corner, you'll be taken to the Caliber part of the website. There isn't much on it, but you can register for email updates. What is interesting is that I did this a week or so ago, and today I got a "survey" email asking me stuff like "would I be more willing to pre-order if I got $1,000 worth of options free" or "$1,000 in airline travel vouchers." They may offer this to the public as an incentive to preorder, or to people who register for email updates. Since it costs nothing to register, think about it (and ask for $1,000 worth of options for free for pre-ordering, so hopefully that's what we'll get).

fwiw
    Sounds interesting but I wouldn't touch it till they get all the bugs out. I bet it will be rediculously expensive to fix/replace.
    Actually it's been in use in racing since about 1980. Mitsu has their own version, from what I've read, which is why I think it would be a better option than a CVT (blecch!).

I doubt it would be any more or less reliable, or expensive to maintain/repair, than any automatic tranny. It uses two clutches, so a torque converter failure can't happen, and since those clutches aren't subject to the usual operator stupidity, they should last at least as long, if not a lot longer than a 3-pedal.

Anyway, cool little car and a neat concept. I still think they ought to have an entry-level sedan and coupe to offer, though. Maybe that niche will be filled by Mitsu with a B-class offering?
This discussion has been closed.