Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz R-Class

Comments

• benzsterbenzster Member Posts: 152
    It seems as though most of the readers are from up North. If there are any that are south of the Mason Dixon Line you may email me for questions about options or whatever. I will be happy to help with specifics. i.e. " should I order this or what does it take to install that later."

p.s. I am not in sales and MBUSA frowns on sales across districts.
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    Can you explain more about the rear audio controls? Do they allow for listening of separate components, e.g., the radio and CD? There's not a lot of detail on this facet of the HK system.
    exactly!
    Here are the steps.
    Press audio button, select "rear", prompt will show components (cd, cd changer, Ipod, DVD player), select component then exit.
    This will direct the audio for the selected component to the headphone jacks located on the rear of the front center console. There are 2 jacks with 2 volume control knobs.The speakers in the vehicle will play one audio component while the headphone jacks play another!
    That is soooo cool. Maybe i'll actually get to listen to my music...must dust off the Montovanni :P
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    It seems to me like Mercedes needs to go back to brand-building type advertising instead of flashing lease prices, well after December that is.

They have the largest range by far of any luxury car maker and it would make an awesome sight to see all of their models lined up with the perfect backdrop I think.

Like you said the SLR, R-Class plus the other newbies this year SLK, CLS, and M-Class should all be highlighted together IMO.

M
  • chirpchirp Member Posts: 194
    That is an excellent idea and approach. The most impressive marketing I have seen this month is the commercial with all of the new models in Silver acting as reindeer plowing through snow with Santa at the end in a beautiful Red SL. I dig that and they should promote the brand more rather than look like every manufacturer trying to discount at this time of year.
    I am in marketing/PR and have found MB's general advertising and marketing approach puzzling. I agree with Benzter that they have not focused on the attributes that make a Benz a Benz, but much more about the "image," e.g., "unlike any other." So, ok, tell me why?

On a direct marketing front, it does seem that MB is turning it up...in the past three months I have gotten many mailings and thingies (a stadium being next) thanking me for being an owner.

I think that they are trying...but haven't got the message right yet.
    I have a very hard time not jumping up on the soap box when it comes to marketing (fir/mktg bs)as well. So I will just throw out tidbits.
    " we do not put steering wheels on your coffee tables, so you do not put cups in our cars"
    BTW I spoke with sales and selling across markets is an option. If you are not in the Mid-South the transportation might be cost prohibitive. One could get some tasty BBQ and tour Graceland while here......hahahhahah
    The most impressive marketing I have seen this month is the commercial with all of the new models in Silver acting as reindeer plowing through snow with Santa at the end in a beautiful Red SL.

Yes! Something like that is exactly what I'm getting at. I haven't seen this commercial yet. The only ones I've seen recently is the one for the C230; "24 Valve pumping, 6-speakers playing, 17-inch wheels turning" yada, yada..and the one with the guys riding in the 1886 Patent Benz spotting the R-Class.

Mercedes needs a new approach and now is the time to do so because they have a lot of new to fairly new models in their showrooms now.

M
    That kinda reflect their current situation in general. They've had to change a lot over the last 5-7 years and I think they're still rattled to some degree. This is one reason why BMW is generally more successful right now, they arguably remianed better focused. With better quality and less exploration of every little market niche and a advertising/marketing machine that understands this, they'll be on their way. Most definitely they should play up the things that make a Benz unique, not just how good they look. Go back to the engineering stuff.

M
    I recent;y read in one of my industry rags that they have hired a new PR firm. I suppose this is on the product/marketing side. The caveat here is if the strategy isn't right, then its same old, same old.
  • markc5markc5 Member Posts: 19
    That indeed is a great commercial notice that the R-Class is on the front row :) Great tidbits on the radio controls we use it all the time with the kids.... they listen to something that requires me to take a tylenol and we listen to books on tape or something else civilized. We figured that out on or own Mercedes salesman didn't even know it lol.
    Markc5/Benzter: What has your gas mileage experience been so far? I am so jonesing until mine arrives (next week, I'm told).
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    In a market where buyers shop with spec sheets and CR reviews, differentiation is so critical and MB needs to let these buyers know what differentiates a MB. What makes it "special" and worth the premium they've earned with their brand. I've seen the "reindeer ad" and my wife noticed in a big way - especially the red SL! Made it look special - and, of course, it is!

In the IT world, I've been asked more than once why a client should buy my product if it is not in Gartner's "Magic Quadrant". I have always considered that situation to be an opportunity to explain the unique advantages of my solution that the "analysts" may have overlooked.

I agree that MB should consider revisiting it's engineering roots that made the brand special. Didn't HAVE to have the best slalom or 0-60 times - just had to be the finest example of automotive engineering and timeless style.

To that end, BMW has remained focused on the performance bullseye and remains true to its heritage better than many. My guess is that Lexus is testing the performance waters and can tilt either way. Let's see if these highly paid execs can make the right decisions that many on this board could do quite well ;)
    Judging by that commercial several posters have described here (and on GCZ) the ad seems to be resonating with people, at least they remember it clearly. I have yet to see this ad.

M
    Well 2006 will be the year to watch as far as Mercedes goes. This new S-Class must fly high. It would be a great moral booster and to mention a profit maker. So far the only recent launch that hasn't gone to well is the R-Class. The ML, SLK, and CLS have all done very well.

M
    The new S will be at my dealer in January(a traveling demo I guess) and I am definately going to take a closer look at it. I am intriqued to say the least and like what I see so far with the new S.
    I would love to boast of wonderfully underrated mileage expectancies..... remember I don't drive this vehicle much. When I have driven, it was on the highway at 80+mph for 7 hr. stretches. The last time I looked it was about an 18.2 ave. mpg. When I fill it gives a 500 mile range. 500/21.13=23.66.
    Just heard from my dealer that my R is in :shades:

Unfortunately, I may not be able to pick it up until Monday because of other obligations :cry:

On the plus side, I found out that my parent company participates in the MB employee/affiliate program, so my deal will be even better.

Happy Christmas to me... :D
  • madeliamadelia Member Posts: 2
    I have been considering an R-350 for about 30 days now, and will likely make a yes/no decision before the end of the year. A few things concern me and I am looking for some feedback. First, cargo/storage is a concern given I have three kids. Trips will require using the luggage rack. Does anyone have any experience putting on and taking off the luggage rack? The dealer has not done a good job of explaining how this is done. Also, I have read customer feedback that the navigation system is not real good. I drive a Lexus LS430 now and I would consider that navigation system do be very good. On a 1 to 5 scale, I have seen the R-Class rated a 1, compared to the Lexus system.
    My other main concern is overall quality. What has quality been? Has Mercedes improved overall quality with this car?
    Thanks in advance for your responses.
    What a Coincidence!!!! Madelia I also have 3 children and our "other" car is a 2004 lexus ls430. 1st let me say that the navigation system of the Lexus is somewhat better due to the touch screen options. It is easier to use when you are driving. However, the R Class system is more than sufficient. We have had no major complaint with it. We have road tripped a couple of times with it and it guided us well to our destinations. The space with the 3 kids is great. I would recommend that you get the second row console to help hold drinks. It does force the kids to get in and out through the doors (Novel idea Huh?) rather than crawling through the seats. We do not have a luggage rack so I would love to know how that works out. What we did on our trips was put one kid in the third row and fold one seat down to get space for luggage. It was a little tight so I am looking for a solution to the storage issue for longer trips and more luggage. I am going to contact the dealership to see if it is possible to install a removable trailer hitch to attach a luggage holder in the back. The idea of placing a luggage rack over all that glass somehow worries me and I feel may detract from the looks of the car. We have had absolutely no problems with the car to date. We get more compliments every day on the car we love it If you have any other questions let me know.
  • madeliamadelia Member Posts: 2
    Markc5, thanks for your comments. I like the idea of a removable trailer hitch. I will be stopping by the dealer sometime this week and I will inquire about this as well. I will let you know what I find out.

I wish you continued good luck with the car.
    There was a time when MB would not install a hitch on a vehicle with load leveling (e wagon). When the ML came out it was the first US vehicle offering a hitch*. Now that the ML has air suspension it is still offered. The euro specs in 98 showed towing capacity for an E320w in the brochure but not US version. That being said, there is NOT a factory installed hitch in accesories. I am checking parts to see if there is a dealer installed option. There is not a towing capacity listed in the specs for an R Class. I will let yall know.
    * G Wagon left out of equation
    bonus...new S Class is at dealerships today
    I was told by my dealer that there is no trailer hitch available, nor is it recommended...at least yet. He cautioned to wait, because if you install an aftermarket at this point it will likely void the warranty. It is something I would consider also if and when available.
    Correct
    If there is not a towing capacity listed you had better not burn up that nice 7 speed tranny. But on the serious side, tapping into the lamp harness will cause additional resistance in the circuit which will throw up a red flag to the system causing all kinds of warnings (not covered). In the ML there is a control unit addition to make the system aware of additional lamps. Mercedes dealers are the most forgiving in the warranty area that I have found. Don't underestimate the value of a perfect survey.:)
    Something to think about...thanks...but I don't have a good history when I try to bend the rules. :cry: And if I really need to tow, I guess I'll just have to go look for another car. LOL.

Happy Holidays to all from NYC, the safest and sore-footest, big city in the USA.
    bonus...new S Class is at dealerships today

Was this some type of promo even or something? The car is actually about a month or so from going on sale isnt' it?

M
    Thanks for the information guys. If anyone learns anything new about this issue on the hitch please post. Does anyone have a roof rack? and how does work out for you?
  • amgsteramgster Member Posts: 4
    Good news Al. The transit workers are going back to work. Hope you have an enjoyable holiday too.

I've had my R350 for over a month and a half now with about 1500 miles and averaging nearly 16 mpg. I'm sure it'll get better.
  • 5total5total Member Posts: 15
    I am about to pull the trigger on an R350 for 1k under invoice. I am leaving anything on the table? Lets here it.
    Lets try this again....too much holdiday cheer. I am close to pulling the trigger on an R350 for 1k under invoice. Am I leaving anything on the table. Please, lets hear what you have to say.
    Is that including the 2k incentive if financing through MB Credit?

Either way, its a good deal and it'll make one large stocking stuffer!!

I am totally loving my R350.
    And I must be afflicted by the same holiday malady. Meant to add the following:

$1k under invoice is good...don't know what others have paid. My deal was $500 over before incentives. With year end approaching, you could play chicken, but is that worth it to you? Are you taking an in-stock, on the lot vehicle? When would delivery be?

Why the hesiatation? Is it just price? I know you have been shopping for a while.
  • newmownernewmowner Member Posts: 86
    Sister M seems ok in the quality department? Look at the M-class problems forum. Think again. The things are not even selling. Why would MB include that vehicle in its December to Remember? Only 6 months or so out anyway, so don't hang your hat on that!
    For 1k under, it has to be a car on the lot. I have found a couple that I like. To answer someones question, yes that is after the 2k MBCC incentive. Basicly, they dealer would be selling it at invoice plus we would be spliting the 2k incentive.
    Why the hesitation??? Because I am still not use to paying this kind of money for a car. It was not long ago that I would budget no more that 20k for a car. Now I am looking at cars in the mid 50's. Just goes against the way I was brought up.
    But the bottom line is I have 3 small kids and its is a safe and comfortable car.

I will let you know what happens this weekend.
    Newmowner: Sorry to read about your transmission problems. It's good to see that MB did right by you. As a former owner of the 99 M-Class, I know about the reliability issues. From reading the forums on the new model, it seems that a majority of the issues are with the tranny. That is worrisome, I agree. But I also know that my two E320's were pretty problem free, with only minor nits.

As to ML sales, I think they are doing ok, given the general environment for SUVs. Somewhere around 3000 per month, if memory serves.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak to owners who just bought a station wagon instead of purchasing a minivan or SUV. If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence and how long you’ve had the car no later than January 6, 2006

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Yes it is. The new S Class is not in dealer inventory and there is not a window sticker. They are for promo only.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    Euro Motor in MD has a black S class in the lot, not for sale, but certainly available for "viewing".
    Yep, I've seen it twice now. Looks smaller than before, while being bigger only as MB seems to be able to do. C&D and MT both have roadtest of the S550 in their Feb 2006 issues. They both seem to like the ride/engine/transmission and overall quality, but they wonder about so much electonic complexity and the fact that the car can almost drive itself. Oh and both of their testers came in around 104K! Take off the Distronic and night vision stuff and you're back down to 95K or so.

M
  • seamus7350seamus7350 Member Posts: 2
    has anyone had or heard of any complete outage problems with the COMMAND system in a R-class?
    Sorry, I did a check, but there are not any service bulletins out. Usually the dealer can "flash" the ECU and there may be an updated software issue. Did the Dlr. add to the system? (as in NAVI, DVD, Ipod) It has to be handled like you added a new printer to your pc. The new addition may be recognized but not function properly and cause a crash. Recycling the key is like rebooting the unit.
  • seamus7350seamus7350 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the reply. yes, there was a dlr-added dvd system which seemed to cause the problem. someone from MBUSA in Montvale had to come to fix it. Problem seems to be resolved and we are happy to have our car back.
  • mbrfanmbrfan Member Posts: 1
    Gang -

My R350 with 300 miles has two panoramic roof issues:

1. it has an annoying rattle when it is closed and you go over a rough spot in the road and

2. when you open or close the roof, it makes a noise close to nails on a chalkboardfor a second or two.

My guess is the two issues are related to something that is not lubricated iaw mfg desires.

Has anyone had this issue and if so, what was the remedy?

Love the buggy, but still in shakedown...

In advance, thanks -
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    You knew it was only a matter of time. I mean Mercedes has given the AMG treatment to virtually everything that wears the MB badge, so why not the new R-Class too?

AMG R-Class blog>
    $.02
    Big tires =Big Money
    4.5 K for looks?????
    BTW wife took out the sidewall of the FR tire yesterday. AAAAAAAArg. $237.00 later we are back where we started. 255/55/18 Michelin Latitude. Just think about a 255/50/19 with low profile sidewalls. I would have been looking to resurface a rim. Plus, performance tires will roar after 12k and be done before 15.
    IMHO for the long haul go w/ 17"
  • wardo3160wardo3160 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process of buying a faily well loaded R500. I'm being offered pricing in the neighborhood of invoice - $1,200. SoCal location. Can someone give me a mkt. check that is about right?

FYI, have been trying to buy this since October, but had a very disappointing experience with a local dealer. Seems they "forgot" to order the car from the factory. I lost 2 months waiting. i'm guessing someone else is happily driving my car as I write this.
    My chicago paper has an add from Mercedes of Hoffman Estates with 3 brand new R350's that they are trying to unload with discounts between 5,000 and 6,000 off sticker. This is something that I never see any MB dealer do, quite frankly. I have seen adds for the ongoing lease incentive programs, but never an add that features specific brand new cars at heavy discounts. I think you can pretty much name your price with the R-class. My dealer has had the same 5 on the lot for several weeks now(R350 and R500). Someone needs to wash them too...the white one is streaking from the body molding and looks sad. :(
    I hate to see this. I love this vehicle! People asked for a longer more carlike ml and they got it. So much for people knowing what they want. "Alls I'm sayin" is I could not enjoy the ride or functionality any more than I do. I feel once the other manufacturers bring their "cross overs" to the market....... well we'll see. I feel this is a great opportunity to purchase a vehicle well below its true value.