Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "If the Explorer is "all new", they did a hellova job concealing it from the public"

Yes! I give everybody permission to use the phrase I coined -"The redesign that isn't!"
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    If the Explorer is "all new", they did a hellova job concealing it from the public.

How true. You rarely see a commercial or ad for it. However, when you do see one they do tout it as "The best Explorer ever" and I agree 100%.

It's almost like Ford has given up on the Explorer for now (which may or may not be really smart) and I'm betting we see a TV ad for the Edge every five minutes in the Fall.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    "I'm betting we see a TV ad for the Edge every five minutes in the Fall."

Gee, I hope we see SOMETHING ON TV in the fall! Bill doesn't think TV sells cars....and it shows....
    Bill doesn't think TV sells cars....and it shows....

Did he really say that? Anyway, I see plenty of Fusion, Milan, Escape, and F-150 commercials all the time. I've seen one Explorer commercial one time only.

A really cool Mustang GT commercial aired often during American Idol this past season which I hope they never take off the air. The commercial that is. :blush:
    Yes, I've had insiders say that Bill really doesn't think TV sells cars, Dealers sell cars, let THEM advertise them. But, he reluctantly lets some go on, just in case he's wrong. Therefore, the Advertising budget is periously slim at Ford, and goes to the vehicles they own the market in already generally, or new product only. I'm surprised how much they are advertising the Zephyr. Even Malone in Without a Trace is driving one. An FBI agent in a Lincoln? I don't think that is a great endorsement - around here the FBI drives Malibus and Tauri. Now, if they could get Jennifer Garner to speed around in one....maybe.... :blush:
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "I see plenty of Fusion, Milan, Escape, and F-150 commercials"

All the cars you mentioned (with the Exception of the Escape) are all new. You can't tell that the Explorer is. THE REDESIGN HAS COMPLETELY FAILED TO GENERATE SALES - COMMERCIALS OR NOR COMMERCIALS.

IT THE (RE)DESIGN...LET'S NOT MAKE THIS MORE COMPLEX THAN IT IS!!!
    THE REDESIGN HAS COMPLETELY FAILED TO GENERATE SALES - COMMERCIALS OR NOR COMMERCIALS.

IT THE (RE)DESIGN...LET'S NOT MAKE THIS MORE COMPLEX THAN IT IS!!!

You're missing the point king of capital letters. Obviously the semi-new exterior isn't turning heads but commercials would help get the message across that it is new everywhere else. When you see one on the road you don't see the interior which is worlds better than the previous version. That and some other key info would help sales IMO.

BTW, yelling through you keystrokes doesn't make what you post any more right than if you type in a more civilized tone. ;)
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    When you see one on the road you don't see the interior which is worlds better than the previous version.
    Personally I like the interior of my 2004 Mountaineer w/Luxury trim (Explorer Eddie Bauer) better than the new ones. I like the dash on my Mountaineer way more. I like the steering wheel and the way the Audio, Climate, and Cruise controls look. IMHO I feel it was much better in those areas.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    I agree with you on the audio and climate controls. The new Delphi units aren't quite as nice as the old Visteon units IMO too. I also think the old CC buttons were easier to use but I like the way the new one's look a bit better. There's no comparison regarding the dash and everything else for me though. The old interior design was too bland for me. The Mountaineer was a bit better than the Explorer due to some extra standard features but both turned me off.
  • matthattan1587matthattan1587 Member Posts: 53
    Hey I am looking into buying a new SUV to replace my 04 Honda Accord. The Accord has been great, but I would like to change things up and buy a small/midsize suv that has more power than my 4 cylinder 160 hp Accord and handles like a car. I am considering 5 SUVs: Nissan Xterra, Toyota Rav 4, Honda Pilot, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the Ford Explorer. So far I have only driven the base model Xterra and loved the way it drove, but would like to add more accesories. The power from the 265 hp is great and I like how Nissan designed its interior and exterior. I am looking into the SE model in Night Armor with an optional Grille/Brush guard. Is the Xterra the way to go or should I look elsewhere? I am worried about the gas mileage of the Xterra as well. Please let me know with you guys think!
    -MM
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    While I have no reco for your SUV, I would surmise that none of them will ever get the gas MPG that your Accord did, so be prepared for higher fuel bills in the household...having said that, I would assume that the Rav4 might get the best mpg, but not dramatically better than any other, unless you compare it to an Excursion:):):)
    YOu have a whole cornicopia of product you're looking at and they don't compare at all. The Jeep and the Explorer are similar animals. The Xterra is a little smaller, but still trucky. The Honda Pilot is built on a minivan frame, so it's more carlike. The Rav-4 is much smaller than the rest.

What is it you want?

Carlike drive? Rav-4. Honda Pilot.

Offroad capabilities: Jeep or Xterra

Towing, mud & snow, light off road, does it all, Explorer.

Gas mileage? Get a Ford Escape.
    Thank you for your quick input...

I am looking for a small/midsize SUV. I would like it to fit comfortably a 6 ft 3 in adult in the passenger seat. I have only test driven the Xterra as I mentioned and felt it handled very well and enjoyed driving it very much. I have yet to test drive the others. I am not too worried about gas mileage, as I dont drive everyday. Its will be more of a weekend car.Right now my top 2 are the Xterra and the Rav4. Are there any other SUVs you can reccomend that fit what I want. I see you reccommended the Ford Escape, but think it will be too small for a 6ft 3 in adult. Any suggestions would really help. Thanks!
    -MM
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please visit the Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer: MPG-Real World Numbers discussion and report on your gas mileage. Thanks!

Steve, Host
    Well, the Xterra is trucky - if you enjoyed that one, buy it. The Rav-4 is totally different in design, it's car based, on a Corolla platform, FWD or AWD power configuration. The X-terra is heavier, RWD or 4WD. I can't see you cross shopping those, but whatever. Get the Nissan if you like it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    A large internet Web site is looking to interview consumers who are SUV owners. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday June 20, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the SUV you currently drive.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • jimjpscjimjpsc Member Posts: 7
    I love the new Explorer over Trailblazer/Tahoe but wonder why Ford does not offer any type of safety system like On-Star/Tele-Aid/On-Call+ that many of its competitors offer. They seem like such an important item to have. Is there an aftermarket alternative or might Ford (since Volvo offers one) be working on this?

Thanks
    I don't know - it seems like one would want that, yet Lexus has now dropped it (Lexus Link, which is Onstar-renamed and dedicated employees to answer the Lexus phones.) Why did Lexus drop it? Don't know that either, and I am watching it carefully.
    FWIW I have 4 relatives and a neighbor who bought GM products (all Chevy's actually) recently and none of them opted to pay the monthly fee for OnStar after the free period ran out. None of them have ever used it for anything either so it's just basically a dead purple button to them now.

I can see the value in it for some people but what are the odds that you're going to run off the pavement in some remote location where you wouldn't be found for days or weeks? Is OnStar really worth that $10-$20 per month to you? If you need your door unlocked a cop can do it for you in less than 30 minutes usually. Or you could get an Explorer XLT which comes with a keypad on the driver's door that allows you to unlock all doors with a simple 5-digit passcode. We use ours all the time and it's great for locking the doors when your hands are full of children and their stuff. Don't have to find the fob in your pocket or purse because the buttons are right there.

Of course OnStar does more than get your doors unlocked in a fancy way but my point is there are other ways to do what OnStar does even if they do require a little more effort at times. Just my two cents. :)
    I agree but keep thinking about that minuscule chance of an unwitnessed accident. I think you have the real reason more manufacturers don't offer it and that is because many (most perhaps) do not continue paying for it. Does anyone know of any aftermarket alternative? The lock-out feature doesn't matter to me as there are lots of ways to get in w/o keys. Purely a safety thing. I still wonder why Ford offers it on the Volvo line but not other lines.
    Thanks.
    I still wonder why Ford offers it on the Volvo line but not other lines.

I can only speculate but it probably has something to do with consumer demand. Ford has been allowing buyers to "preview" some of their new mainstream models (Fusion, Edge, and Expedition off the top of my head) on their website by allowing them to build and price with options that may or may not make it into production. There is also an open text box at the end to add anything they don't list. I'm guessing people just don't want the OnStar-like system they have in-house enough to merit it's existence. Or at least that's one of the reasons IMO.
    but I believe at one time GM purchased Hughes Electronics and gleaned a great deal of high-tech satellite knowledge from that ownership...maybe ONstar is just one way of trying to use that technology for the defense and military into a consumer application that could generate income for year to come...if just a million drivers pay $120 per year, that is 120 million for running a system that was already running anyway...just my thought...
    Any ideas on when info on the 2007 explorer will be available?
    Thanks!
    Any ideas on when info on the 2007 explorer will be available?

MY07 JOB1 date is July 31st. See the order guide here.
    Thanks for the info. That is great.
    Any idea when Edmunds will have pricing info?
    Any idea when Edmunds will have pricing info?

Can't say that I do. Moderators?

You can probably bet that they'll have it before the Ford web site will though. Don't expect the prices to change from what they were in '06 too much either.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Pricing is usually available within a few weeks of launch.

tidester, host
    to fix the door handle problem, or will that take another entire year of production???
    It's fixed for MY07 in the form of a "cup" in the door armrest which serves as small item storage as well as a door pull. IIRC the old handle is still there in case you want to use it. We've gotten used to ours on the '06 FWIW.
    Thanks all for your previous answers.

I am slowly getting ready to replace my 2001 ML-320 as item after item starts to need repair. I need something the size of the Explorer and am thinking of either the Explorer EB or the Trailblazer LT or SS. Is there something that I should take into consideration with either? Prices seem to be very close and the local dealership sells both. I will plan to wait for a 2007 in either case.

Thanks!
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    The six-speed transmission in the Explorer/Mountaineer is world-class in shift quality and ability to provide the right gear at the right time.

Also my 2006 Mountaineer 4.6L 292 HP delivers 21 MPG at constant 70 MPH. And after 9,400 miles, about 1,000 of which was on very rough Arizona back roads, not a single squeak or rattle. Incredibly quiet cabin.

This vehicle is exceeding my expectations, which were high.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    We're about to replace our 04 explorer for an 06 Explorer/mountaineer. How is the fuel economy of the v8 vs the v6? I see the power difference but not MPG. The main reason for our trade is because we need the 50/50 3rd row, 7 speakers (instead of 4), and probably a dvd player.

Would you recommend a mountaineer luxury or explorer xlt?

-Cj :)
    I would recommend the Eddie Bauer Explorer with the optional 3rd row and add the package with the entertainment goodies (6 cd audiophile cd changer and rear dvd system.) I also recommend the rear sensor system. For the engine choice it is up to where you drive. I have the V6 because I live in the city and do not need the V8 power. The mpg is very similiar. V6= 15 city 21 hwy and V8= 14 city 20 hwy.
    Thoroughly evaluate the interior and exterior appearance ... which one do you like better?

Compare prices equipped the way you want them. One may be a better deal.

Dealer reputation is also a significant factor.
    I agree with autoboy...personal preference is key..

Honestly I cannot stand the way the Mountaineer looks and I feel the Explorer is beautiful. It is a joy sitting behind the wheel everytime I get.

Also Ford has some pretty awesome deals right now with cash back I think still at 3500 and 1000 for gas.

My Eddie Bauer Explorer came fully loaded with sirius radio and rear sensor at a price of 28,900 without tax. With tax the total price was around 30,000 which I felt was great deal for a brand new eddie bauer explorer!

I will also mentiont the MSRP on this vehicle was around 34,000 and invoice was at 31,500 without incentives factored in!
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    My point is that that the dealership has an 06 Explorer Xlt with MSRP of $32,157 and it includes reverse parking sensors, audiophile (7 speakers), 3rd row, heated leather seats, safety canopy, and the rear climate control.

Closer to me is a Lincoln mercury dealership that has an 06 Mountaineer Luxury that has the same options plus a towing package, and power running boards for $32,375. Only thing is that the seats aren't heated. Also the v6 is a flex fuel v6 which is useless here as no E85 gas station is within 153 miles.

The ford has the $2k back and a customer finance thing so the list price is $29k even and the $0 for gas. The mountaineer has the same thing but also 0% financing.

ps for a family of 5+1 infant, is this a good family truck for short trips with the v6 or should we step up to the v8?

-Cj :)
    The V6 gets the 5-speed transmission; the V8 gets the 6-speed. Worth considering.
  • orpho05orpho05 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I wanted some help because I know you guys are experts on Explorers. Right now I'm looking at a '06 Eddie with no third row or moon roof. Just leather, 4.0 v6 4x4. They want $3,500 down at 279 a month for 2 years and 24,000 miles after 4,500 off of 33,500. How low do you think I can get them to go? I also have a college student coupon for $500 off any Ford. Some help pleaseeee . thanks
    I drive Explorers (Mountaineers), my brother drives Trailblazers. Head to head, he has tons more little problems with his Trailblazers than I have with my Mountaineers.
  • geowizardrygeowizardry Member Posts: 4
    I am considering an 06 Explorer. I need to tow a Coleman Camper tent trailer on occasion. I figure the camper is maybe 3000-3500# max fully loaded but don't know for sure. Right now have Expedition with big v8, good power, lousy mpg and with my wife running around in that vehicle, doesn't make a lot of sense. We live in Colorado and would tow in the mountains. For those that tow, is the v6 with Class III/IV hitch and the 3.73 axl ratio enough or do I need the v8? I sure wish I could test drive one with my camper hooked to the back. Are the mpg numbers ford publishes accurate of what you see, v6 15/20, v8 14/20? Thanks.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    the epa fuel economy rating is practically the same v8 vs v6. the v8 is less than $1000 more than the v6. probably better off getting the v8
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    I have said this for years, stick to the V8. The V6 is reliable BUT, the vehicle has to struggle a bit more to create power...in turn, will use probably same amount of fuel as the V8 will. The V6 will only post decent fuel economy if you keep it under 2000rpms. And can sound course at upper REV's...

Aside from that, the tranny does a good job of selecting the best gear, so it feels a bit sprightly for the most part...And you really dont need to take it over 3000rpms for normal everyday driving.

BUT all in all, the V8 is a more relaxed cruiser and will probably give you the same fuel economy, yet better in the highway runs since it has an extra lower revving gear over the V6's 5 Speed.

If your worried about fuel economy, and think 1MPG is a major difference, then probably a Freestyle might be a better option, or the new Edge depending on your needs.

Whenever I think of truck or SUV's fuel estimates, whatever they put on a window, I deduct 15-20% off their estimates. Very fuel cars actually perform as what the sticker says..Freestyle/500 being one of them, Fusion is another.
    I've owned both. The V-8 only costs me 1mpg less than the 6, and is a more pleasurable truck to drive. For towing, it's much better, although, (ANT, if you're listening), it'd be nice if the mighty 4.6L could muster up a little more bhp than 239 in that truck. I know the engine is capable of much much more than that, but probably for mileage, is constrained. In the Explorer, it could use at least 270 or so.... Just my opinion.

Damn fine engine though.....
    Well it's at 292HP for the V8 this year. And when the mid-cycle refresh occurs, the 4.0L gets replaced by the 3.5L.
    And when the mid-cycle refresh occurs, the 4.0L gets replaced by the 3.5L.

The Duratec35 in the Explorer? That's interesting! Not that you know already or can give the info up, but I'm assuming it won't produce 265 HP and rather be tuned for more low end torque?

On a side note Ford's official press release for the Shelby GT originally stated that the '07 V6 has 240 HP, which we all know is false, but it has since been corrected to read the actual 210 HP from the good old 4.0L. Was that a bad typo or some foreshadowing of the 35 going in there soon too? ;)

The original text still resides on some Mustang forums and is still being debated. :D
    Yes ironically a dealer manager read that months ago, and quoted in casual conversation...Asked him to recheck his figures, then he noticed the issue. Just a lil' accident though.

The 3.5L can be tuned for low end torque, but the torque could match the outgoing 4.0L's if not improve on it a bit. Also, the 3.5L can grow if need be. The Duratec35 isn't really an enlarged Duratec30, rather, it's a totally new engine architecture which in it's 3.5L form, is the smallest, it'll ever be...only one way to grow, is upwards.

The Mustang will also benefit from the new D35 as well..the 4.0L needs to be phased out for numerous reasons such as efficiency (or lack thereof), logistics, etc.
    The 3.5L can be tuned for low end torque, but the torque could match the outgoing 4.0L's if not improve on it a bit.

The D35's torque number already matches or beats the 4.0's but it comes in at a higher RPM. I'm curious to see how far the HP number drops, from it's current 265, to make the the same or more torque come in at a lower RPM. If it's more than the current 4.0's 210 then they're on to something really good IMO. ;)
    NOW we're talking! That'll give me a reason to get another Mountaineer for the wife!
  • bekibeki Member Posts: 1
    I have someone other than the dealer change the oil in my car. I had the oil changed at 3,000 miles. Everytime I turn my car on I get a warning indicator stating I need to have the oil changed. I press reset and it only temporarily resets the computer (meaning every time I restart the car I have to press reset). I need to know how to reset the oil change indicator in the computer.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    Press the setup button until you see something like "oil Lide xx% reset for new"
    then press rest.

restting when you clear the message only clears the message temporarily, it doesnt rest the oil life.