Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• heavensoldierheavensoldier Member Posts: 61
    Hello I was thinking about getting the 2007 explorer. But I was wondering is it to big for a single person? I may be going to a FBI job in atlanta and is the explorer to big for that type of city driving if i'm usually going to be by myself? I usually drive alone except when family comes over so is the explorer to big? Should I focus on the rav4, escape or smaller vehicles? Thanks and God Bless
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Check out the freestyle.

Or the Edge.
  • heavensoldierheavensoldier Member Posts: 61
    Those are nice but they seem somewhat funny looking, I would not mind a mid-size SUV. But I'll probably look into some more stuff, just the Ford is very reliable I'll keep looking thanks and God Bless.
  • zeeman84zeeman84 Member Posts: 16
    I purchased an Explorer about six months ago after looking at a lot of different options. I do have a family and the Explorer is great at hauling them around. But other then that I looked at all of the safety features built into this vehicle. It is very quiet at and it makes driving a pleasure which I think is important. I traded a smaller vehicle which got better mileage, but it was not a as adaptable to different hauling situations and it was not as much as a pleaure to drive. These all have to be factored into your decision on what vehicle you want. Yes, it is more expensive to operate. But I just budget and cut back on other expenses because this is the vehicle I wanted.

Hope this helps :shades:
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    Yeah, the RAV4 is small though, you need to sit in one to decide if you can fit into it. The Toyotas amd Hondas are usually very reliable.
  • nfntruthnfntruth Member Posts: 5
    I was checking out the real life MPG string, and I am nowhere close to what everyone else seems to be getting. I have about 6000 miles now on my 06, XLT, 4wd, V-8, and I have been getting 9.5 mpg in San Diego, and about 12-13 mpg freeway. This thing is killing me! I have tires at full pressure. Even when my wife drives (not aggressive at all, trust me) she gets less than 13 mpg. How is this thing getting 50% worse mileage than a full size F-150 with the V8?!!!
    Even if I have the cruise set at 75, and I reset the MPG computer, its getting 15 or, thats crap. No acceleration, maintaing 75 and I am getting 15mpg!!! Either other people are lying, or my explorer has something wrong with it. ANy ideas?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Well yeah, what you're telling me is that you
    ARE getting what we're getting. You'll get 15-16 on the freeway, and 13 in town. That's what we get. You, however, have your foot in the intake manifold, if you get 9.5 in town. It'll get a tad better as it breaks in, but this is what all truck based SUVs get, regardless of size, really. If you want more mileage, you have to go to a Minivan based SUV, like the Pilot. They do a little better, because they're lighter. But they are no way as tough, if you tow, or haul, or are tough on a truck, like on bad roads a lot.
    My 2006 Mountaineer 4.6 AWD got 9.3 MPG on a 2,000 mile trip pulling a 5,000# trailer.

21 MPG at steady 70 MPH on X-way.

It's either driving habits or something is wrong. A good check for the effect of driving habits is to count the number of brake applications. Every time you apply the brakes, you're converting fuel to heat.
    Ok, I probably drive a bit aggressive, almost a prerequisite to drive in San Diego, but that doesn't explain the 4-5 MPG less freeway that I get compared to others. Hopefully it will get better as it breaks in more. Can gas make a difference? One of my co-workers said he had a similar problem and switched gas brands from a no-name "cheap" gas station to a name brand (Shell) station. He claims a 20% increase, I will experiment, but I am not holding my breath...
    As far as the pilot goes, not an option, I pull a boat, and those things couldn't even pull my boat trailer without the boat. I am definitely a Truck-based SUV guy, (plus my father-in-law works at the plant in KC)
    I will post the results of my fuel experiment, as well as the brake idea, although, I reset the MPG computer and even while braking, it doesn't drop, but we shall see.
    The MPG won't drop while braking. It drops when you get back on the throttle to recover the energy that was just converted to heat.
    See, the thing is, Freeway driving in California, is actually stop and go driving....you go like hell, then you panic stop to between 0 and 25mph, then you suddenly go like hell again. This isn't going to get you "highway mileage". That will occur with the cruise on for a couple hundred miles, and no interruptions.

I think your car is fine, it's just your location and driving necessities that are eating up your mileage.
    Good point. Makes sense to me.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    to me, getting 50% better mileage with an f-150 is just strange. what engine does your f-150 have?
    my '02 explorer actually gets it's best mileage on long 75-80 mph trips. downshifting and braking make a noticeable, negative difference.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    No one has mentioned ethanol content in the fuel. The more ethanol, the worse your gas mileage will be. Urban areas, particularly those where the do-gooders have mandated oxygenated fuels, get gasoline with way too much ethanol. Great for power, but lousy for mileage. Here in Denver, we have lots of ethanol, even a few stations that sell E85.

My new explorer V8 is very sensitive to my right foot. If I take it easy, gas mileage is about what the sticker says. If you use all 290+ horsepower very often, you will pay the price in gasoline. We did a 250 mile loop through Rocky Mountain National Park this weekend and got 19.7 mpg. With typical suburban-freeway mix with very little stop and go, I get about 15 mpg. The car computer seems very accurate compared with the hand method of figuring gas mileage.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the car. It's a company vehicle, not what I would have chosen to spend personal money on, but we get a smokin' fleet deal on Fords, and I don't have to buy the gas. The off-road ability is just marginal, but I'm particularly happy with the ride and quietness. The seats are pretty good (I have leather) and the audiophile stereo is quite decent. I'm selling my VW Touareg, which I will miss, but not the cost of keeping it on the road.
    I had forgotten about the adverse effects ethanol has on fuel mileage, but it's not insignificant. On the contrary, it's very much a factor. And it could explain your inconsistent numbers...
    Guess what gang, we may be on the right track, experiment completed, I stopped using the "cheap" gas, and moved to the name brand "shell", and I got an average of 15.1 compared to my normal 10ish. Its the same route I drive to work all the time, now another possible independent factor may be temperature as well. It has been about 10 degrees cooler in the last week. But I can live with 15mpg and pay the extra 8 cents per gallon as well. I have no other complaints about my explorer, except the fact it doesn't have near enough cup holders! The 3rd row gets four, the middle row kind of gets two. The console shifter blocks convenient use of the front two, and if you have somtehing plugged into the power connection, you are screwed, but overall, I am very pleased with my truck.
  • rocko107rocko107 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought my wife a 2006 Explorer EB with all the toys. We purchased after test driving a Lexus RX 330, Subaru B9 Tribeca, Honda Pilot and Toyota 4Runner(V8). The Explorer won out over the others 1) Best ride quality of all, if your looking for a comfortable cruiser, 2) Had every feature my wife wanted...cargo room for all of the bags she likes to pack for vacations, memory seats and adjustable pedals, usable 3rd row seating(as defined by the few times they are needed). None of the others offered all of those features and as mentioned the ride quality was better than all of them including the Lexus. The brakes also had the best modulation allowing you to get exactly the amount of brake power you need and never too grabby. Now all of that being said my biggest disappoint is all the cheap plastic. It's everywhere. Chrome front grill...NOT, it's just plastic. The ends of the roof rails have a plastic quality similiar to the $2 toy cars I buy my son. The plastics used on the dash remind me of a first generation Dodge Neon. The overhead console cubby that stores glasses or what not is a joke even if on the cheapest economy box and all of the internal switchgear feel bargin basement as well. It's just very disappointing on a vehicle that stickered for $39,650. Given the retail price is inflated and you work your deal off the invoice not the retail but I would have gladly given Ford an extra $1000 of my money if the materials used were a bit richer and I feel it would go a long way toward Ford winning over a few more customers. As so many pieces you see and touch feel cheap. On the plus side you do get lots of "features" for your dollar and the ride quality as mentioned is second to none.

So with all this babbling my question is for those of you who have had your 2006 Explorer for a number of months(or for the past year). How are your plastics holding up? Are they rattling on the inside? Has the plastic front grill cracked from road debris? If you have the 18" Chrome-plastic covered wheels how have they held up(cause I have'em). I really like a lot of things about this vehicle I just worry about the plastics(in particular the front grill).

Happy Driving....
  • zeeman84zeeman84 Member Posts: 16
    I have had my 06 Eddie Bauer for about six mounths now with about 6,000 miles and everything is holding up very well. I can find no problems with any of the concerns your mentioned. Everything is holding up quite well. I am enjoying my vehicle very much. :)
    I'm fascinated by your "front grille" paranoia.... Wondering if your previous car was a 1970 LTD or something because that's about the last time I recall anything other than plastic being used for anybody's front grille. My 05 Lexus has a plastic grille. But let me assure you, you can beat the snot out of this explorer, and she won't shake, rattle or roll. I've had 5 of 'em. They're tough little trucks.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    '06 Explorer XLT here. Owned for 7 months and no rattles yet. I don't expect any either even on our terrible roads around here.

Given the retail price is inflated and you work your deal off the invoice not the retail but I would have gladly given Ford an extra $1000 of my money if the materials used were a bit richer and I feel it would go a long way toward Ford winning over a few more customers.

You probably should have checked out the Mercury Mountaineer. The interior materials are a bit better but you still get the same truck underneath. Although the exterior isn't quite as nice IMO.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    If all these chrome looking pieces were actually chrome...

A) Your fuel economy would drop a bit-more weight
    B) It would dent and nick, later rusting
    C) Cheaper to produce- More money in your wallet
    D) Lower cost of replacement -in case there's an accident
    E) Safer in an accident -it's designed to absorb certain forces

The pros outweigh the con.

Same with interior bits/pieces. More money has been placed to improve the interior of the Explorer/Mountaineer and overall ALL materials are improved from the previous generations which was good at that. And a long way from what they were in the 90's, in fact, it's triple the investment.

Other than that, there's really no other material to be used for interiors. Corian/Granite/Silestone were deemed a bit too heavy and expensive.
    There you go again, spoiling my plans for a Granite Dashboard!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There you go again, spoiling my plans for a Granite Dashboard!!

Didn't that couple over in Bedrock, Fred and Wilma, have one of those? ;)

tidester, host
  • rocko107rocko107 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies, it gives me a little better piece of mind. I would have checked off the box for "Corian Interior"...hahaha.

The car we moved from was a 1999 Nissan Maxima we had since new and everything about the the car was so well done I'm just overly picky, in particular the interior.

Thanks again,

R.
  • gkotlangkotlan Member Posts: 2
    I too was a bit disconcerted with the plastic look... switched to the explorer from an 11 y/o jeep grand cherokee; the explorer seating upholestry seems top notch, but the jeep had more "soft" surfaces (padded dash and door panels etc) which seemed more upscale at the time.
    But the new benefits are less sunlight glare, and Im sure slightly reduced weight. who needs a living room on wheels anyway. :shades:
  • gkotlangkotlan Member Posts: 2
    2006 E/B 4.6 V8 now has 3000 miles (1 month). Took two 1000-mile road trips and avg MPG is about 19.5 highway (@ 75mph) and 15 city/work commute. I pushed the MPG up over 20 but only with very passive driving.... have to hold speed to 55 with cruise and no xtra passengers or a/c on.
    If I get leadfooted, definitely drops to 9mpg or so.
    So far, it's exceeded my expectations.
    Only pulling a "virtual" boat in spirit this month. If I get the bayliner next year, I'm sure I'll be paying dearly at the pump. I've noted that the middle grade 89 octane Shell brand is giving about 2mpg more than the 87... might be a diff in ethanol content? I dont know if the fuel chemists would substantiate these findings. :)
  • dvan1dvan1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering an 06 Explorer or Mountaineer, but am concerned about towing capacity up a boat ramp. The specs indicate a 3.73 non-limited slip rear axle. Doesn't a non-limited slip axle mean that power won't be transferred to the wheel that's not slipping? Will I be stuck with one wheel just spinning away, and the other one just sitting there? We have a steep driveway, and also use a gravel boat ramp. I have to get this resolved before I buy.
    There will be no problem at all. The traction control immediately applies the brake to the slipping wheel, allowing the other drive wheel(s) to do the work.

I towed a 5100# travel trailer with my 2006 Mountaineer. Over a 4,000 mile roud trip from AZ to MI and return. At one point I was parked in a damp grassy area and had to pull out up hill. No problem.

A great vehicle that has exceeded my expectations.
  • dvan1dvan1 Member Posts: 2
    Do you have the 2wd or AWD Mountaineer?
    AWD
    my wife had a '91 explorer 160 hp v-6. pulled an astro van with a 19 foot boat on a trailer also attached up a steep boat ramp.
    don't worry about towing.
    I drove 3 2WD Mountaineers between my 4WD Explorer, and the AWD Mountaineer I have now. I never got stuck in snow or ice with the 2WD trucks, even on hills. They are excellent. Don't fret. ;)
    It's important to understand why electronic traction control is better than limited-slip. With limited-slip, the driving wheel gets some multiple of the torque of the slipping wheel. If the slipping wheel is on ice, in the air (My wife managed this), then its torque is zero. Zero times 10 = zero.

With traction control the brake on the slipping wheel is applied, allowing all torque to be directed to the driving wheel.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    does it have a switch that engages AWD more like 4WD???...the reason I ask is that a friend has a Tucson with AWD, but he tells me that when there is snow in the mountains, he can flip a switch that either makes it more like 4WD or maybe adds more power to the wheel that has traction...I am not sure exactly WHAT it does, but he says that it allows the Tucson to drive like 4WD...

Does the M'eer AWD have that feature, or is it just simple AWD all the time???...or, is there something about my understanding of AWD that eludes me???
    My Mountaineer AWD does have that feature, & I've used it successfully. In "set up" 4x4 can be selected & it is truly 4WD. They caution against using this during normal driving.

The AWD on the Mountaineer in standard mode automatically detects a slipping wheel(s) and instantly compensates.
    The reason I ask is that I was considering the Explorer (along with 400 other vehicles...:):):) )for the 4WD, but when I was told about the Tucson, and the M'eer seems like a nicer vehicle, I wanted to know about the feature...while I do not plan for offroad use, I would want it for the occasional snow or road debris, or getting stuck in mud or something like that...so, it seems that for my use, the AWD on the M'eer would do just as well as the 4WD on the Expy...
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    We went to the auto show in Anaheim, CA yesterday. We had an Edge on order, but decided to buy an Explorer. My wife :) happened to see an Explorer XLT without the 3rd row, rear HVAC system, and Audiophile system (rear speaker and amplifier). Without those options the bulges on the sides of the cargo compartment are gone, really opening up the cargo compartment to better suit our needs. Somehow, I had never seen one without all three options.

I also thought the Explorer leather seats were the best of any I tried yesterday, and more comfortable than the cloth seats.

Our Explorer will be a RWD XLT V8 with:

96A - Convenience Group - automatic lights, electrochromic interior mirror, keyless entry & keypad, compass

47A - XLT Appearance Package - color keyed front and rear fascias & wheel lip moldings, black running boards, 17" machined wheels, door bezel film

96L - XLT Comfort Group - security approach lamps, illuminated visors, overhead console, rear dome & map light, leather steering wheel,

V - XLT Leather Heated Seats Package - black power heated exterior mirrors with approach lamps, leather seats w/lumbar supports, 10-way power driver

21E - Safety Canopy

76H - Reverse Sensing System

435 - Rear Cargo Shade

Yes, we could get an Eddie Bauer, but equipped the same, it is $500 more, and does not offer the Pueblo Gold color we want.

I will add a Pioneer EVIC-Z1 navigation unit with the Pioneer XM radio and XM NavTraffic unit and Pioneer Bluetooth unit, and upgrade the speakers as required.

I will replace the running boards with the Ford "frame hider," and may also add other things such as Homelink and "sheepskins" or even the perforated Mountaineer front seat covers (and keep the originals to reinstall before selling it).

The excellent NHTSA and IIHS wreck test ratings of the Explorer were also a factor in our decision.

To finally satisfy my curiosity, I rented a 4Runner a few weeks ago and drove it over 200 miles in one day for business. It is quiet, and the 4.0 V6 was so strong that I opened the hood to make sure I had not been given a V8 rental. The cargo area is nice and wide,a nd the shelf for two level storage is very nice. However, the solid rear axle does what I expected, bouncing around and creating a rough ride :( , and the cup holders are too large and too far away.

We also seriously considered the RAV4, as it has a strong V6, excellent mileage ratings, nice interior storage, and a good price, but the seats curve forward at the top, and might just cause the same bad back pain the '05 Sienna I mistakenly bought caused :mad: :(:cry: , plus its wreck test ratings are not as good as those of the Explorer.

The big new GMC Acadia and Saturn Relay are at the show (rotating, not to be touched), but the Mazda CX-9 was nowhere to be found. The new CRV is nice, but only comes with a weak 4. The Edge is there, also rotating and not to be touched. The MKX is on a platform, also not to be touched. The pre-production MKZ is kept locked.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Yes, we could get an Eddie Bauer, but equipped the same, it is $500 more, and does not offer the Pueblo Gold color we want.

One other thing we didn't like about the EB was the fake wood. I much prefer the carbon fiber look the XLT has surrounding the center console and on the door rests. We have the tan interior with the carbon and I think it looks pretty sharp. My father-in-law has an EB V8 with the tan interior and the plood and I don't particularly care for it that much. But he does and that's all that counts.

Good choice with the Explorer. You won't be disappointed. :) Although the Edge is quite nice too and gives you V8 power in a V6 with decent fuel economy if that's your cup of tea. It's just a little small for us right now.
    my reply was referring to towing. i didn't mention anything about lsd vs non-lsd. my lsd equipped '02 has never gotten stuck to the point where i needed assistance, so i'm happy with it.
    Baggs32, we agree with you that the XLT interior trim looks better than the fake wood, and we also prefer the XLT grille and the XLT machined 17" wheels over the EB painted wheels. However, we'll have to pay to have the OWL tires remounted so that the blackwall side is out.
    I believe there is no such feature available anymore on the Mountaineer. Mine is AWD, All The Time. I've never needed to "put er into 4WD" either. The system in the Mountaineer is superb at managing snow and ice.
    My 2006 Mountaineer 4.6 AWD with the Security Group unquestionably has a 4x4 setting which definitely puts power to all four wheels.

I need help understanding your statement:"I believe there is no such feature available anymore on the Mountaineer."
  • mario_mobilemario_mobile Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Ford Explorer,4.0 V6 Engine, 5 speed AT, 3 months old. It has 2000 miles. I went to the sandy desert under high temperature (105°F)and experienced the following problems:

1- Airplane like noise, when demanding additional power from the engine, under medium to high engine load. It seems to be initiated by the throttle, and disappears when the load goes down.

2- Engine lacks of power when the airplane like noise appears... It happened also to my wife when driving uphill in normal city driving conditions, but I did not believe her.

3- When in flat sand, the car will not move in 4WD High... engine revs up to about 3500RPM, none of the wheels spin, feels like if the car is on "neutral", except that the engine won't rev higher than this. The only way of getting the car to move is by engaging 4WD low and... have some friends pushing!!! until reaching a downhill slope, then I can stop, switch to 4WD high and continue driving normally without being able to stop on flat ground without getting stuck by this lack of traction.

I went to the dealer... they checked "everything on the computer" and checked the "levels and pressures" in the transmission, and concluded that everything is perfectly normal with my car.

Can I have some suggestions on what the problems might be? I believe the mechanics available around here (Sultanate of Oman) require some guidance. There are no other Ford Dealers around.

Other question: can I drive for long periods of time in 4WD low?
    Thanks
    Mario :confuse:
    The "airplane" noise is probably the viscous clutch for the engine cooling fan engaging & causing the fan to run at high speed. It often happens immediately after start-up, then again when temperature rises. This is normal ... happens frequently on my '06 Mountaineer 4.6

I don't have a clue about your other issues.
    My wife wanted to look at colors and I wnated to drive the new Explorer yesterday,as I have previously only driven the 2007 Sport Trac version, and it was too rough (plus the box is too small). Of the three dealerships we visited, only one had a V8 Exploers, and just one of those. We drove an Eddie Bauer RWD V8 with the 18" wheels. While far quieter than our 2002 Mountaineer V8, we were very surprised to find that the ride was much rougher than we expected. The 4 Runner we rented recently was even quieter, and was not rougher. If I have time today and can find one, I will drive a V8 with the 17" wheels. Has anyone here driven V8 models with both size wheels?
    Check the tire pressure. Dealers often leave them as-received from factory ... over-inflated.
    not sure what flat sand is. beach driving usually requires dropping the air pressure in the tires below what you use for road driving.
    i managed to worm my way back out of the sand on the outer banks with my rear tires close to 40 psi. broke out into a major sweat doing it, though. recommended pressure was about 20 psi.
    Well, I've just never seen it in recent models. Evidently, I am incorrect. My 04 just has AWD all the time.
    So, to beat a dead horse, and to help me understand, when you "flip the switch" your AWD, which is variable at most times, becomes a 4WD vehicle for those few times when all 4 wheels MUST be engaged, similar to the 4WD Explorer...is it just one range (lo or hi?) or does it have both lo (under 15 mph) and hi (faster...)...
    The horse is alive, but has a weak pulse.

According to pg. 228 of the '06 Mountaineer Owner's Guide, 4X4 mode available only on vehicles equipped with AdvanceTrac with RSC.

It's engaged by going to Setup in the message center, then pressing reset to select AWD locked. This is the 4X4 mode, and "4X4" appears in the instrument cluster.

It is different from the Explorer in that it has only one range, which seems to be the same final drive ratio as with AWD. That's fine with me. Even though I do some off-roading, I don't expect to ever need the extra grunt provided by low range.

I'll keep the owner's guide at my desk to field further inquiries.