Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    that settles it.
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    ... bury the horse?
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    We went to Santa Margarita Ford on Wednesday just to look at colors, but were very pleasantly surprised to find that they had a group of 2006 models without 3rd rows, including several Eddie Bauer models, some with the V8. After coming home, I learned that Ford had started a $3,500 rebate program that same day. We came back yesterday and bought a Dark Stone Eddie Bauer RWD V8 with the camel interior, Safety Canopy, and tow package.

My 15' Little Giant ladder (55" tall collapsed) fits crosswise in the cargo area with the 2nd row fully up. :) Without the third row, it has two extra tie-down hooks in the middle of the cargo hold. The underfloor storage compartments are quite large, allowing me to keep the cargo hold uncluttered and neat. I bought the cargo shade from the parts department, so everything is covered.

The real icing on the cake was the price. The sticker price was $32,755, but I wrote a check for just $29,422.53 :) ($26,759.20 plus $2,663.33 for tax, license, and fees).

I drove my 2002 Mountaineer RWD V8 almost 100,000 miles, so am discovering the many improvements they made for 2006, such as the much quieter interior.

It seems that Ford would sell far more Explorers and Mountaineers if they could better communicate that the 2006&7 models are substantially improved over the previous versions, even though they look very, very similar.

The one we bought has the manual climate control, but most of the six vehicles with automatic climate control I have owned have required frequent fiddling because it was too hot or cold, or the fan was blowing too hard.

Now to install the navigation and sound system.

I still haven't determined if it has the heated exterior mirrors. If not, I'll get them as parts or from the junkyard.

It is starting to cool down, but when summer returns, I'll either cover the solid leather with seat covers or install the perforated leather from the Mountaineer. Has anyone here tried the Wet Okole covers?

http://wetokole.net/page/WOH/PROD/FORDT/FORDEXPLORF
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • Options
    pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Why on Earth would you do that? I don't like the already split out subjects nearly as much. I have seen too many posts in the wrong forum already, and a further split will just make it worse. It was much easier to follow the single thread per vehicle than to follow the multiple threads we now have, which makes it easy to miss info. I wuld really like to have. It also seems the volume has dropped overall since the split started.
  • Options
    Wrong Direction! A better search function and so forth would be helpful, but all of these subsections are not.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A better search function and so forth would be helpful

You'd think so, but we have two Search This Discussion boxes on this page plus a Keyword search, an Advanced search and the Browse by Vehicle search. Not to mention the forums are spidered by the search engines and picked up by Google/Yahoo, etc.

Yet we keep getting way too many Help Desk comments from people who can't find what they need. The bigger general discussions (many here with several thousand posts) discourage people from looking around.

For the regulars who must have their daily forum fix (we know who we are :blush: ), just track the vehicle group for the cars and SUVs you are interested in and you won't miss your favorite threads.
  • Options
    NV and all others, please let me know if you know of a different forum to keep up with Explorer news. This one is getting less useful as time goes on. Check my profile for email.

Thanks
  • Options
    The expected life of this post is ~ 1 hour.
  • Options
    Nah, that wasn't a promotion for another site. We know it's easy to find other forums with a search engine. All we ask is that you hang around and check out the new models (it is that time of year you know :D ).
  • Options
    Good show, steve.
  • Options
    Sounds like somebody held a focus group. We're all here because we like it here. Sounds like we are universally put off by this new format. I, for one, don't like it either. Those of us who "need our daily fix", are car enthusiasts. Occasionally, we drop some actual car info that helps somebody along the way, but if you're going to shut down our friendly discussions, I won't be around long either. Sigh... :sick: I liked the "kinder, friendlier" Edmunds better.
  • Options
    In the good old days, we'd be shutting this one down because the software would crash after about 500 posts. :shades:

The hosts spent a lot of time composing messages like this: meredith, "Dodge Dakota Crew Cab - V" #1, 25 Jun 2000 2:51 pm.

The Wayback Machine is fun; this landing page shows a link to the infamous "I Don't Like SUVs, Why do you" topic with just 22 posts. I think we shut that one down after 40,000 posts.

Most of the discussion titles have been cleaned up over the years, but you'll still see ones like Subaru Crew - Meet the Members II.
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    if Ford redesigned the "door handle problem" of the 2006 Explorer/M'eer in the 2007 model?
  • Options
    The 2007 has added a place to grab the door at the armrest, which solved the problem on the 2006. I like the handle on mine OK, just need a place to grab it to keep it from hitting the car next to me. The 2007 took care of that.
  • Options
    How large, and expensive, is the piece if I want to upgrade my '06 Mountaineer?
  • Options
    I'm not sure, but it looked as if it may have been part of the entire door panel. Didn't check the cost. But did test drive the '07 before buying the '06, and the recessed space on the door helped quite a bit. Maybe the way forward will include replacing the "oops" mistakes like these. ;)
  • Options
    If you have the base sound system (without the sub-woofer), you will be amazed, even stunned by the difference made by replacing the factory speakers with good speakers. I just started the installation of my navigation and sound system by installing all four speakers. Even with going slow and a few interruptions for phone calls, it only took 2 hours.

I bought the Cerwin-Vega IT-683 speakers:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_286.html
  • Options
    Is how those horrendous door panels, open handles and pull handles ever got by those managers who are supposed to test a car pre-production. Didn't somebody try to close a door and go, "This will never fly" or something? There is only so much you can do to improve a door panel - after that, you're reaching for cute and killing function. The best door panels ever invented, IMO, were those found in the 86-88 Taurus. They were the most user friendly ever made. Even the subtlely changed ones in the 89 Taurus, were more difficult to use. From that point, for the sake of change, they screwed them up. This is the final indiocy though. And they wonder why the new Explorers haven't sold.
  • Options
    sasukesasuke Member Posts: 77
    How is the leasing for this SUV? I was pretty set on the pathfinder, but I wanna make sure it's the best bet, so the last SUV for me to look at is the Mountaineer..I'd go with the V8 Premier.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Problem corrected for 07.

There is a good reason the door handle is located forward and low. Little chance of its hard plastic breaking your rib in a side impact. The entire half of the door closest to the rear of the vehicle is filled with a 4" think foam insert. There is no metal there to screw a handle into and nothing bone breaking to come into contact with you. This is also the reason for the door release design.

The old "arm" style could theoretically act as a "ice pick" in a side impact, just imagine it coming at you, end on, at high speed.

I find that people very quickly adapt to the relocated door handle, you just grab it as you climb in.

Mark.
  • Options
    I work at a dual franchise store, Ford LM and Nissan (ok thast technically triple). The Mtneer premier has better standard equipment for the money especially with the Nav/Moonroof discount package. Much more 3 row room. and the Power Fold seat is standard.

The Velcro released flaps on the Pathfinder are very annoying.

JMHO.

Mark.
  • Options
    Thank you for the info Mark, that helps me understand what appeared to be idiocy. Glad it's resolved for 07, as that's likely my next SUV.

At some point, I want safety to be non-contraindicated with my comfort in my vehicle. Safety is great - but if I have to reduce my chance of injury in a collision to the point that I hate to drive, or am miserable, it's a problem.

The Objective of the car, is to get you somewhere. Getting you there safely is good. Safely and comfortably, is where my money will go. Gee, sounds like an ad for volvo, doesn't it?
  • Options
    Front airbags save you from your stupidity, Side airbags save you from someone elses.

Mark.
  • Options
    Guess what? Now that I have driven my 2006 Explorer 0ver 1,000 miles, I may not change the door panels (yes, it is an assembly). I do find myself grabbing the armrest, and I do sometimes fail to slam the door hard enough to close it due to the lack of elvearge from the far-forward handle location. However, it has not yet been enough of a problem to justify the cost. Also, it will only be a matter of time before wrecked 2007 models are in the junk yards, making the door panels affordable.
  • Options
    gsharrowgsharrow Member Posts: 7
    I had the wetokole seat covers for my 2001 F350 lariat crew cab (both front and back). I loved them, they are nice and comfortable, easy to clean, and after 5 years the seats underneath looked brand new.

A couple things to consider, if you have heated seats it takes longer to feel the heat, and they attach via straps and if you have power seats it can be a bit of fiddling to find the proper path for the straps (since there is so much mechanical junk under the seat)
  • Options
    We just picked up a new 2006 Mountaineer (luxury, v8, tow package, plus a few other options)

I have a question about the 7 pin harness. My boat has surge brakes with a solenoid that reads the tow vehicle's backup lights and turns the brakes off (so you can backup the boat). The boat uses a five pin plug, so I have a 7 pin to 5 pin adapter plug.

On my 2001 F350 (purchased new) I had to do a couple things (fuse, etc) in before the backup light was active to 7 pin harness. Do I have to do something similar for my Mountaineer, or is it hooked up out of the factory?

I have not had time to test it yet, and was wondering if anyone else has a similar set up?
  • Options
    The center pin on 7-pin connector is usually reserved for back-up lamps, but I don't know if it's wired, or merely an open connector.

Go to Outbackers.com, a travel trailer forum with tons of knowledge along this line. The folks there are friendly, knowledgeable, and love to help.
  • Options
    My 2006 Mountaineer has the third row of seats, will the optional cargo shade work with it?

I noticed for the explorer when you order the third row of seats you cannot order the cargo shade. Will the shade physically not work, or is it just because there is less space.
  • Options
    The shade will work, but only with the seats down. When you raise them, you have to not only open the shade, but remove it entirely. If you can get your hands on a shade, and don't mind the extra manipulation, it'll work.
  • Options
    pulleydogpulleydog Member Posts: 61
    This is as much a question as it is Informational. Unless I'm mistaken, I think Mercury has made an error in the towing capacity they quote for the Mountaineer. Several phone calls and e-mails to dealerships and to Mercury have gone, essentially, unanswered.
    I wanted to share this for those that use the vehicle for what it was intended (utility) and specifically for towing. The 2007 brochure states the towing capacity for the V-8 engine at 7220 lbs (4x2) and 7050 lbs (AWD) when equipped with the Class IV towing package. This is about the same as the Ford Explorer.
    We have been shopping for a replacement SUV for our '04 Mountaineer and had just about settled on the Mountaineer when I realized that you can't get a MM without the 3rd Row Seat and Auxiliary Climate Control. The ACC reduces the towing capacity by 500 lbs. But Mercury's specs do not reflect this. I believe the maximum towing should be 6720 (4x2) and 6550 (AWD).
    With the Ford Explorer, the 3rd Seat and ACC is optional on the XLT and Eddie Bauer trim lines. It's standard on the Limited, but can be deleted. Deleting the 3rd Row Seat and ACC is NOT available on the MM.
    I think Mercury has made a huge mistake and from the silence I have received from my inquires, I'm assuming no one at Mercury wants to admit the error. A difference of 500 lbs is a lot of weight to state can be safely towed by a vehicle when in reality(?) may be outside what the rating should be.
    We will be ordering an Explorer sometime this winter because towing a boat is the reason we even need an SUV and I'm looking for the maximum towing capacity.
    I thought I should share this with others in the same boat (no pun intended) as us. If I'm wrong, I wish someone from Mercury would tell me, but I have to believe they aren't responding because they aren't sure what to say.
    I'm not sure what legal ramifications this could lead to for them; people towing unsafe weight limits, returning a vehicle because you can't tow the stated weigh limit, etc.
    If for some reason, I'm just not interpreting this information correctly, please enlighten me. Otherwise, I thought it best to share with the rest.
    Safe Towing!
  • Options
    Interesting, is this new for 07? Because I just purchased an 06 Mountaineer Luxury (V8, tow package, third row seats) but do NOT have the Auxiliary Climate Control.
  • Options
    All Mountaineers come with standard third row. Premiers come with the power fold 3rd row standard.

ACC is optional on all Mtneers.

Mark
  • Options
    Who told you ACC reduces towing capacity by 500 pounds?

Mark.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    if you are going to tow something that weighs 2500 lbs more than your tow vehicle, you ought to pick a bigger platform.
    it could end up with the tail wagging the dog.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I towed a 5,300# travel trailer from AZ to MI & back this summer with my 2006 Mountaineer 4.6 AWD. No problems.
  • Options
    Apparently. Mercury also eliminated the "Luxury" trim line for 2007. The choices are now either a "Mountaineer" - only available with the V-6 Engine...or the "Premier Mountaineer" - with your choice of the V-6 or V-8 Engine.

The Premier has Standard 3rd Row Seating and Aux Climate Control. I contacted Mercury and they indicated that neither the 3rd Row Seat or the ACC could be deleted - even if special ordered.
  • Options
    ACC is STANDARD on Premier Mountaineer - the only Montaineer that you can get with the V-8. ACC is optional only on the 'Mountaineer' (Non-Premier).

Regarding the reduced Towing Capacity - from Ford's own website;

* Deduct 500 lbs. with auxiliary climate control.

With the Mountaineer and Explorer essentially being the same vehicle, I don't know why the 500 lb reduction would hold true for one and not the other.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently (within the past three months) purchased an SUV and crossover because of its optional or standard third-row seating. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 10, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    The wiring diagrams show a separate fuse for the trailer back up lights. I plan to connect my navigation unit to that wire (it needs to sense when the vehicle is reversing).
  • Options
    i just remember driving back from mackinaw and seeing 3 big box travel trailers that rolled over in a cross wind and took the small tow vehicles with them.
    i was not referring to enough power to pull the weight.
  • Options
    What were the "small" vehicles?
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Expy/M'eer have option packages that include HID/Xenon headlights???
  • Options
    one was a full size pickup, but not with the dual rear wheels.
  • Options
    Bought an 06 Explorer Limited, this time. My first Explorer was an Explorer in 94. An Eddie Bauer. Then I discovered that the Mountaineer has similar trim levels, so bought a 97, 98, 02 and still have the 04 Mountaineer. Wouldn't have moved so quickly, but the deal was outrageous, and got Navigation and the DVD system in this one, plus, the power folding 3rd seats - funny and strange, I know, but I just loved that feature in my last Navigator, and getting it in this car almost made me miss my Navigator less. Once I saw that, it was over for me.

The engine in this new one is the 3valve 4.6L, and it's darn peppy. It has "real" 4x4 rather than the perfectly acceptable to me AWD the Mountaineers came with. The transmission is a little clunky going back into 1st, it seems, but if it's not normal, they'll fix it first oil change for me.

Still hate the door panels, but the wife, whose car this will mainly be, doesn't mind them. The Grand daughter who lives with us loves the DVD system, so that's all that matters to Grandma. But, I digress.

I shopped every mid-sized SUV on the planet. Still think Ford has the best design. Toyota may execute better, but their old 4-Runner is very trucky, and the 3rd seat is a joke. Honda's Pilot is strictly a minivan in disguise. Nissan is having so many problems lately, I've taken them off the bid list. I have to tow, so that left Ford & GM. It was no contest on any level there. So, Bill, do I get anything for buying 6 of these things? Through thick & thin, rollovers and Firestones, new designs and redesigns, we're still here! Where's my toaster?? :shades:
  • Options
    If the location of the Overdrive switch button troubles you, I have a very effective, quick, inexpensive fix.
  • Options
    Well, it doesn't, having had it similarly placed on various Fords since my 1990 Cougar, but I'm fascinated by what this potential fix could possibly be.... :confuse:
  • Options
    Can you actually reach the button while the palm of your hand is on the shift lever?

If so, is your name Shaquille?

Is it correct that you have a 2006 model with the 6-speed transmission?
  • Options
    Well, let me go see. ....... Yes, lg, I have the V-8 with the 6 speed trans, and I can hit the button with my ring finger around the grip if I have to use it. It's not well placed, you are right. What's this fix?
  • Options
    Two tongue depressors and a few inches of vinyl electrician's tape.

* Glue the tongue depressors together to make one of double thickness.

* Cover the depressor with tape. (for appearance & to avoid abrading the switch button)

* Mount the depressor vertically on the driver's side of the shift lever.

* Snugly tape the top end of the double tongue depressor to the shift lever left side, just below the chrome cap.

* Lightly tape the lower end to the shift lever at the bottom of the tongue depressor. Be careful to avoid having the depressor activate the switch. The bottom tape is to provide resistance to fore & aft movement of the depressor.

* Done. Now the switch can be activated with light thumb force on the depressor without unpleasant wrist contortions or lifting my hand from the top of the shift lever..

The black tape hides everything nicely. In over a year, no one, including my wife, has noticed it.

I do a fair amount of off-road and mountain driving, and use the switch frequently.

Sounds hokey, but it's actually a very effective and sanitary modification.