Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I have had the 2006 Explorer for almost 3 months and have driven 4,634 miles. The door latch seems just fine. The door pull handle is not quite as bad as I had thought after seeing it at the car show when the 2006 models were introduced. However, the door often fails to close completely, so I have to re-open it and try again, as the ackward position means that I have poor leverage. I have had the door panels off to change the speakers, and the armrest is part of the entire assembly. However, Ford could and should either come up with a free kit to change the armrest to one with a pull cup, or just offer anyone who wants them new door panels.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    You are only annoyed with it because it is different. If you had a chance to get used to it, you won't notice it.

Have had the car now for 2 months. I'm used to it. I still hate it.

Incidentally, if you were ever in a side impact and had your ribs cracked by a hard plastic door handle I bet you would run to the court house to sue Ford for putting the handle where it could crack your ribs.

Now, c'mon, you don't know anything about me! FYI, I sit too high for it to crack anything but maybe my cell phone on my belt. Secondly, my last 5 Explorers had no projectile items to crush my ribs, and were easy to close. This is just a hideous design, and if you designed it, then shame on you. Don't know why anybody else would defend it.

Lastly, I don't sue over accidents. Actually, I don't sue over anything product related - being one of the old fashioned guys who thinks there is some risk in driving, and I accept that. I appreciate all the safety features in today's cars, and I use seat belts. But I may get hit, I may hit someone, if I get hurt, it's not the car's fault, and Ford should not have to guarantee their product for life.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Quote "Unfortunately, we don't have a physical desrcription of the engineer"

Hey, we could make one up!!!...

I need to get a life...:):):):):)...I spend too much time on Edmunds...
    It could be worse.....you could spend your time at auctions, just diddling with the cars, like I do.... :surprise:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It could be worse.....you could spend your time at auctions ...

Don't forget your iPAQ or Palm PDA and logon to Edmunds2Go! :shades:

tidester, host
    I have that tidester, it's nice. Also, nice shameless plug for your employer! :P
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe we can interest you in a nice shirt?

Or how about a spiffy ballcap?

:shades:
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    2006 Explorer XLT V8 6 speed. Around 6k miles I started to have this problem, if I drive in slow traffic, lots of stop start, when I try to pull away from stationary (Traffic lights), the tranny will drag, pushing down pedal & truck hardly moves. Could be dangerous if trying to pull out of side rd. Have taken to dealer 3-4 times, they can't replicate, connected to test equipement. Truck now 17k miles, still an intermittent problem. Any ideas? Thanks.
    I have 2 questions: 1) When it does this, do you get the wrench in your message center, either in amber or red?

2) How do you resolve it? Does restarting the engine fix it until next time?

Because, that's exactly what mine does, only it does it in reverse, only when cold starting, first start of the day.

It's in the dealer right now for resolution.....
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Do you hear a clunk and then the truck starts to move by chance? If so then your rear brake caliper(s) are just sticking due to the e-brake being on for a long period of time which is common for vehciles equipped with 4-wheel discs.
    nvbanker, NO to the wrench icon. Resolve it, I just push down on the accelerator, it gets up to speed. Then if drive a short while without stops, voila, perfect. Can be a day, week or more between problems. I have shown it to the dealer a few times, one time the mechanic, was in the truck, when it dragged. Unable to replicate & the darn computor hookup, can't find any code problems.
    If you remember, I had a 2004, 5 solenoids, back axle whine, A/C problems. This was the replacement, was good for a while. Now not sure, 1 yr old.
    Reg.
    baggs32, NO, to clunk. Very naughty, we never use (Hardly ever) the E brake. I grew up with stick shift & parking brakes, though FL, no one seems to. I have put the truck in neutral & with no effort pushed it.
    I am hoping to resolve the problem, we were intending to buy this one off Red Carpet Lease. Can't risk tranny problems.
    Reg.
    No clunk, there's a wierd feeling like the truck just went over a speed bump, but I don't have any of those in my garage or driveway - and then, I get the wrench, and no move. Actually, it feels like it's in overdrive from a dead stop. It barely creeps, if you floor it. The wrench stays on and it remains in this condition until you restart the engine. That fixes it every time.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    This is a problem with the "fly by wire" throttle.

This is all the owners manual says though:
    Powertrain malfunction indicator: Illuminates when a powertrain or a
    4x4 fault has been detected. Contact your authorized dealer as soon as
    possible.

Mark.
    Interesting. Well, the dealer has had it for a week now, and can't replicate the wrench (that I get every day). This is typical, isn't it? The transmission guy has been taking it home, trying to get it to wrench on me. It won't. So, they are reprogramming the transmission for me, hoping that will fix it. We shall see. Love the truck, but if this problem isn't fixable, I won't keep it too long.
    Don't be afraid to go to a different dealer.

Mark.
    I have done business with this dealer forever, since 1990 anyway, they all know me by name. If they don't get it the first time, I just patiently go back and make them try again. It appears they got it fixed. They replaced a recalled part, and did two programming changes to it, and it shifts much better. So far, no more wrench. The wife is happy now, and drove it to work for the first time today. (Could be that I put her Mountaineer in the shop now, so she had no choice.... :blush: ) But she liked it.
    The trans on the Explorer/Mtn requires fluid changes at 30,000 mile intervals.

Mark.
  • dkaczynskidkaczynski Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2006 explorer with 21,000 miles on it. When it is in park or I am stopped in gear, the motor shimmies (fairly noticeably) every 5-7 seconds. The service dept. told me that was normal--it was the computer resetting itself continuously. Is this true? Has anyone else experienced this?
    Also, the Explorer has a direct drive cooling fan so you won't hear that cycle on and off either.

Mark.
  • dcabledcable Member Posts: 5
    2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 We purchased our car in February 2006 and have had constant problems with the shifting in this car. When coming to a stop the car will jump and feel as if you were rear ended. When it is really cold outside the shifting is really sluggish and clunky. So far we have had the valve body torn apart to find that a valve was sticking (that explains why we were only getting 9.8 mpg) Also, we have had it re-programmed several times and now the cellinoid was just replaced. If any one is having these types of problems please e mail me at DCable01@comcast.net I'm upset that we spent 39K on a vehicle and have had so many problems with the transmission

Thanks
    Denise Cable
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    "... the Explorer has a direct drive cooling fan so you won't hear that cycle on and off either..."

Don't know about the Explorer, but my '06 Mountaineer 4.6 fan has a viscous clutch drive. I can definitely tell when it engages.
    Which engine? My 4.6L doensn't do that.
    I have had similar issues with my 06, however, the dealer has it running almost perfect now. Yours however, sounds like a disaster, and it happens, even to Honda and Toyota. Honda had bad transmissions in 04 and Toyota has them right now in their 07 Camrys, and they don't have a clue how to fix it yet.

My advice is to stay kind, but persistent with your service manager - I know it's a pain, but keep taking it back and insist that they fix it. Eventually, they'll get it right, or they'll replace the car. Yes, replace the car. Ford is better than most about doing that with lemons, if you're decent about it and let them try to fix it first.

Stay persistent, and get friendly with your Service Manager.....first name basis friendly - he'll be your advocate if you do. Remember, they're people too, and they didn't build the damn thing, they're just trying to fix it.
  • dkaczynskidkaczynski Member Posts: 2
    It is a 4.0L 6 cylinder SOHC. Thanks for the reply.
  • lmmasonlmmason Member Posts: 2
    Heres a little of what I have went through and has been repaired on my 06 limited with everything. Started having problems about two months after a bought it. It had a hesitation off of stops and accelerating after slowing down. Took it and dealer had to update computer PCM and TCM. Then a month or so later the same thing hesitation. Took it in another update for PCM and TCM. Updates seem to last only a couple of weeks. By the third visit hotline was called Manufacturer said they were aware of problem and were working on a fix. Took it in two more times before there a fix this one was for transmission update in computer. Went for buy back but a lack of comm. with dealer and manufacturer caused a one more chance deal which they claimed to have a fix. So arbitrator rules for them and I got a extended service plan also. Well I already had the first extended warranty which covers more. So back in it went again lasted about two weeks then back to hesitation. Now it is in the shop and there is another update which brings it to five in a year needless to say I have already contacted the better business bureu its buy back time this thing is driving me nuts. There has also been the little things too.
  • carb1776carb1776 Member Posts: 13
    Hi,
    You are right about the customer service offered by VW. It's a shame they just don't care about servicing their customer. I wonder how they expect to get repeat buyers. With the Touareg you need an extended warranty, a bible and rosary beads. Some of the bugs are still in the 2006 model. Wish I knew more about the vehicle before I was swayed by its seductive exterior and roomy inside!
    an issue that was previously complained about, but I do not know if this query was discussed about 06 and 07 Explorer...

I am aware the 06 door panels have a problem, some have grown used to it, some have not, saying the problem was solved on the 07...

Aside from the door panels on the 06, is that the only real difference between the two???...meaning, if I could get used to the 06 door panel, might I pick one up as a leftover or slightly used for a bargain???

Did the 06 have any of the "Don't ever buy the first year of a redesign because they haven't worked the bugs out yet" problems (where they fixed it in 07), or was the remainder of the truck well-made and bulletproof???

If, other than the door panel, the rest of the truck was well made without 1st year problems, it may be worth it for me to look at it...the folks on the Aviator topic scared me away from considering an Aviator...:):):):):)

I also promise that by the year 2025 I will have DEFINITELY settled on which SUV I want...too bad we will run out of oil three years before that...:):):)
    I owned a 2006 Mountaineer 4.6 AWD, which was among the first 1,000 produced, for 18,000+ miles. The ONLY problem was an out-of-balance drive shaft that was replaced. Otherwise, despite a significant amount of off-roading, and ~ 5,000 miles of towing a 5,000# trailer, there were no problems, no squeaks or rattles.

We did adapt to the door handles.

The vehicle exceeded my expectations. :)
    This is basically the same motor as in the Mustang GT with an iron block instead of aluminum. Its a Wards 10 best engine and well worth the extra purchase cost.

The V8 comes with a 6speed trans verse the 5 speed trans on the V6. Accordingly, fuel econ is similar.

Mark.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    past tense?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Yep. Since I no longer have the trailer, I don't need the Mountaineer, and want something more car-like.

Bought a CX-9.
    Did the 06 have any of the "Don't ever buy the first year of a redesign because they haven't worked the bugs out yet" problems (where they fixed it in 07), or was the remainder of the truck well-made and bulletproof???

I have an 06 marsha - I don't love the door handles, but am used to them, and my wife kind of likes them...(go figure, she's a woman, what can I say)... We have 11,000 miles on ours, and the only issue we have had is some rough shifting from the 6 speed transmission, but the dealer seemed to fix that pretty well. When warmed up, it's butter smooth. Cold starts are still a tad abupt when shifting the 1st and 2nd gears, but not annoyingly so.

What I give the 06 big points for is the V-8 is VERY responsive from the hole out, unlike the 04 we had which was a little slow off the line. The new transmission and increased horsepower of the 3V engine makes it a ton of fun to drive. The seats are much improved over the previous models as well.

On a scale of 1-10, overall, I would rate the 06 a solid 9.5. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one - obviously, I did.
  • sacmtnrsacmtnr Member Posts: 15
    I purchased a 2007 Mountaineer about 2 months ago. Over all it is a great vehicle. The only problem I have is that it seems to shift roughly between 1st and 2nd. If you're going slow, it shifts hard between the two. If you are giving it a fair amount of gas, it seems to lag between shifts. Shifting between all other gears, up or down, is flawless. Is this a common problem and/or one that can be addressed by the dealer?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks
    Unfortunately, this is a common characteristic of the new 6 speed transmission. (I assume you have the V-8). I was really hoping by now, this would have been remedied, as it was a problem for the 06 model year. Your dealer can fix that with a reprogram, or if more is needed, changing out the valve body, and then reprogramming. It will get much better. I have found with my 06, which had the same problem, the hotter the transmission gets, the better it shifts. Some cold start hard shifting seems inherent in the transmission, even after treatment.

Take it in, there is a TSB on it, I don't have the number, but your dealer should be WELL aware of this complaint!! I have to tell ya though, my dealer didn't get it right the first time. The second time, I asked for the transmission technician to go for a ride with me and demonstrated my complaint. He admitted it wasn't right, and it was then I got the new valve body, and much improvement.

Patience and courtesy usually prevail in these cases.
    Thank you for the info.

I took it in today and they did the reprogram while I waited. It seems fine now; rode smooth as silk on the way home. Let's hope this does the trick.

Thanks again for the info and I'll post again later on whether or not it stays smooth.
    Excellent. I'm pleased to report that my 06 is getting nearly 15 MPG in TOWN (my wife won't drive a freeway, only surface streets). This is the best mileage by far any of my 6 Explorers have ever gotten, even the 6 cylinder ones, and this is the most powerful one by far. I love the truck, wouldn't trade it for any other on the market presently.
    Our Mountaineer is getting about 13 with my wife driving it back and forth to school (teacher) but this is totally stop and go. Only a 10 mile drive that takes about 30 minutes. Checked it last weekend on a short highway trip and the computer was registering right at 20. I'm curious to see if the reprograming will make any difference. It only has about 1500 miles on it and I have been told that the mileage might even improve a little with a few more miles. I previously owned a 92 explorer and that got about the same mileage. Power is significantly higher with the Mountaineer however.

I totally agree that these are the best vehicles on the market in their class. I love everything about it (well, getting use to the door handles anyway) and the ride and performance are fantastic. We even took it off road last weekend and it performed perfectly. It's a total blast to drive.

Thanks again for the info.
  • msc1msc1 Member Posts: 5
    My 2006 Explorer is at the dealership for the fourth time with issues with the transmission. The dealership says they can't find anything wrong and that the computer doesn't give them any codes to find anything wrong. It has been very frustrating. After the first visit, they did a computer update which helped for a couple weeks but then starting having the same problems. We have nicknamed the truck "Hoppin John" because of the way it takes off and the way if drives around in the parking lot at very low speeds. Also if you're slowing down for a red light which turns green and so you speed up again, it's like the rear end is falling off. Anyone know if this could apply to the lemon law?????
    Check the lemon law in your state - they vary from state to state.. Normally though, you need to have the vehicle into the dealer for the SAME issue a certain number of times in a certain perior of time, documented, and unresolved to get lemon law attention.

A better solution is to fix the transmission - it can be fixed. This is a known problem, there is a TSB out on it, and if the dealer is telling you there is nothing wrong, do what I did. Politely request that the Service Manager take a ride with you when it acts up the most, for me, that was when the car was cold. He opted to have the Transmission guy go with. As soon as the car did its shuck and jive from first to second a few times, I turned to him and asked him, "Is that normal?" He said, "of course not, we can help you with this". They replaced a valve assembly, reprogrammed it, and it's been much much better ever since. Almost perfect. When it's warm, it is perfect.

It's impossible for them to deny a problem if you can get them into the car with you while it does it. But lots of times, these guys like to hide behind the "computer isn't throwing a code" crap because it takes work to domesticate a claim to Ford for warranty reimbursement without one. You have to make them.

Be polite as all get out - but persistant as a missionary, and as patient as a tree - and get the car fixed. You'll love it once you do. At least, that's my advice. :shades:
    I was impressed enough, to purposefully pen this review.
    Wanted to take the boat out for a dinner cruise Friday night. 7 of us needed to go - Escalade seats 5. What to do..... Hmmmmm, hey! The Explorer seats 7!! (06 Limited, V-8) Hitched her up for the first time, put 7 adults into the car, and headed for the lake, towing a small 22 ft. Wellcraft. The truck performed exceedingly well, under what I consider pretty much maximum load. Handling was effortless, braking was easy (and the trailer brake is out right now), and power was extraordinary. A Ford hater in the family with me voluntarily commented, "This Explorer handles this boat just fine - why would anybody need an Expedition?". (I'll tell ya, ROOM!). It did an exceptional job, IMO, and well surpassed my expectations, as I usually tow with the Escalade because of the size and motor displacement. However, this Explorer is the best yet by far. And it's #6 for me.
    just like me, when you need to get the job done, take the explorer. :)
  • eoghan1eoghan1 Member Posts: 58
    We just bought a 2006 V6 Mountaineer from a L&M dealer. It is a used car with only 30+ miles on it. The dealer bought it from Ford who got it from a dealer that went belly up. It is preety heavily optioned. (Sunroof, leather, electric running boards, heated seats and movable pedals with memory etc. Paid $26000. It has 34 months left on the warranty. I figure $10,000 under the MSRP was a decent price. It has the class lll/lV hitch receiver package(the 2" square hole).
    Can anyone tell me if this includes a larger radiator and Alternator?
    i checked the buying guide for an '07 explorer, it only mentions the electrical connecter.
    Larger radiator or alternator notwithstanding - you got a smokin' deal on that car. I can tell you, that I've towed a 25ft boat with mine (I assume you have the V-8) up some serious grades, in 110 degree temperatures, and the temp needed has never moved - and I've never had low voltage either, even with 2 DVDs going at once... They are well built for performance - Ford Tough, I guess you'd say.... If you run out of cooling or power capacity, I'll be very surprised.

Congrats again on the deal.
    Look for the transmission oil cooler. It looks like a small radiator mounted low in front of the A/C condenser. (which is in front of the radiator)

If you have this, you probably have everything you need.

Also, check for a blue wire in the harness near the hitch receiver. That's for trailer brakes.
  • rwvtexplrrwvtexplr Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at purchasing a used 2006 that is advertised as a V8. However, in checking with Ford service for any info on this vehicle having work performed for the rough shift problem, my salesman was told that this vehicle has a 5-speed transmission. So, 2 questions: 1) is it possible to get the 5-speed transmission with the V8? When I used the Ford web site to price a V8 XLT, it says the 6-speed is included and it doesn't look like I have the option to select the 5-speed. 2) If it does have the 5-speed, any opinions on the combination of the V8, 5-speed? It certainly would seem to relieve any worries about the 6-speed concerns.
    v-6 has 5 speed, v-8 has 6 speed.
    While this should be verified, it is my understanding that when a vehicle comes equipped with an optional trailer hitch, that package SHOULD always include a heavy duty radiator and a transmission cooler, at the minimum...sometimes it may include slightly heavier duty suspension springs and maybe a HD transmission, but if the tranny is a truck tranny, like the Explorer, the base tranny may be sufficient, but the cooling should be upgraded due to the extra heat from the extra load on the engine and transmission...........
  • zeeman84zeeman84 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2006 Explorer with the Nav radio without the factory Sirius. My wife just purchased a 08 Escape Hybrid with Nav and Sirius from the factory, and after listening to her system on a long trip we just took, I wanted to check to see if it is possible to upgrade my unit. Has anyone had their dealership upgrade a Nav radio with Sirius that did not have it at the factory? Looking on Pioneer's website, I see that the Nav radios they supply to Ford are Sat ready. I am having the dealership check on this, just wanted to find out if anyone has had this done.