Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I was impressed enough, to purposefully pen this review.
    Wanted to take the boat out for a dinner cruise Friday night. 7 of us needed to go - Escalade seats 5. What to do..... Hmmmmm, hey! The Explorer seats 7!! (06 Limited, V-8) Hitched her up for the first time, put 7 adults into the car, and headed for the lake, towing a small 22 ft. Wellcraft. The truck performed exceedingly well, under what I consider pretty much maximum load. Handling was effortless, braking was easy (and the trailer brake is out right now), and power was extraordinary. A Ford hater in the family with me voluntarily commented, "This Explorer handles this boat just fine - why would anybody need an Expedition?". (I'll tell ya, ROOM!). It did an exceptional job, IMO, and well surpassed my expectations, as I usually tow with the Escalade because of the size and motor displacement. However, this Explorer is the best yet by far. And it's #6 for me.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,618
    just like me, when you need to get the job done, take the explorer. :)
  • eoghan1eoghan1 Posts: 57
    We just bought a 2006 V6 Mountaineer from a L&M dealer. It is a used car with only 30+ miles on it. The dealer bought it from Ford who got it from a dealer that went belly up. It is preety heavily optioned. (Sunroof, leather, electric running boards, heated seats and movable pedals with memory etc. Paid $26000. It has 34 months left on the warranty. I figure $10,000 under the MSRP was a decent price. It has the class lll/lV hitch receiver package(the 2" square hole).
    Can anyone tell me if this includes a larger radiator and Alternator?
    i checked the buying guide for an '07 explorer, it only mentions the electrical connecter.
    Larger radiator or alternator notwithstanding - you got a smokin' deal on that car. I can tell you, that I've towed a 25ft boat with mine (I assume you have the V-8) up some serious grades, in 110 degree temperatures, and the temp needed has never moved - and I've never had low voltage either, even with 2 DVDs going at once... They are well built for performance - Ford Tough, I guess you'd say.... If you run out of cooling or power capacity, I'll be very surprised.

Congrats again on the deal.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Look for the transmission oil cooler. It looks like a small radiator mounted low in front of the A/C condenser. (which is in front of the radiator)

If you have this, you probably have everything you need.

Also, check for a blue wire in the harness near the hitch receiver. That's for trailer brakes.
  • rwvtexplrrwvtexplr Posts: 6
    I am looking at purchasing a used 2006 that is advertised as a V8. However, in checking with Ford service for any info on this vehicle having work performed for the rough shift problem, my salesman was told that this vehicle has a 5-speed transmission. So, 2 questions: 1) is it possible to get the 5-speed transmission with the V8? When I used the Ford web site to price a V8 XLT, it says the 6-speed is included and it doesn't look like I have the option to select the 5-speed. 2) If it does have the 5-speed, any opinions on the combination of the V8, 5-speed? It certainly would seem to relieve any worries about the 6-speed concerns.
    v-6 has 5 speed, v-8 has 6 speed.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,670
    While this should be verified, it is my understanding that when a vehicle comes equipped with an optional trailer hitch, that package SHOULD always include a heavy duty radiator and a transmission cooler, at the minimum...sometimes it may include slightly heavier duty suspension springs and maybe a HD transmission, but if the tranny is a truck tranny, like the Explorer, the base tranny may be sufficient, but the cooling should be upgraded due to the extra heat from the extra load on the engine and transmission...........
  • zeeman84zeeman84 Posts: 16
    I have a 2006 Explorer with the Nav radio without the factory Sirius. My wife just purchased a 08 Escape Hybrid with Nav and Sirius from the factory, and after listening to her system on a long trip we just took, I wanted to check to see if it is possible to upgrade my unit. Has anyone had their dealership upgrade a Nav radio with Sirius that did not have it at the factory? Looking on Pioneer's website, I see that the Nav radios they supply to Ford are Sat ready. I am having the dealership check on this, just wanted to find out if anyone has had this done.
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    I was at a Mercury dealer yesterday and noticed that the 2008 Mariner is out. Interestingly, the MPG dropped by 2 MPG. I thought that strange so I inquired and found out that since they are 2008's, the sticker reflects the new EPA "real world" miles per gallon.

So that got me thinking. My Mountaineer has a sticker showing 14 MPG around town. If that drops to 12MPG on the sticker for the 2008, that will be the end of this vehicle.
    14 is downright scary at $3 and climbing for gas, but 12 is almost like placing a banner on the vehicle saying "DON'T BUY ME, I AM A PIG".

I mean this post not to bash Ford or Explorer...both of which I like! But just wondering out loud if this new "EPA HONESTY" thing is going to be the final death blow to the American auto industry in general and to our beloved Explorers in particular. NO ONE is going to buy 12MPG vehicles (even though nothing really has changed except the "real world vs EPA estimate" joke is over)...oh and gas is now $3 instead of .99 as it was when I bot my prior Explorer.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    The old is 15 city, 20 highway for the V6 while the new is 13 city and 19 highway. The V8 was 14/20 and is now 13/18.

See the new calculations for your old vehicle here.

Roughly 90-95% of our driving is in the city and we get 13 MPG exactly. I'm not unhappy with that but I can see why others would be.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    And how long ago was it that you bought the prior Explorer? Haven't seen that price for quite some time around here.

The mileage hasn't actually changed, just the government rating. In the case of something like the Freestyle, it will go down but the old sticker showed a number that was pretty easy to get. For the majority of vehicles, the new number is likely to be closer to the truth.
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    I agree that I'm getting 13 to 13.5 city on my 2003 Mountaineer AWD V8 and 19 highway. My window sticker, which I still have, says 14/19. So I agree that it appears that the new numbers are honest.

MY POINT is that ratcheting down the already scary OLD numbers is going to hurt Explorer (and similar) sales much more than vehicles getting mpgs in the 20s. 15 sounds bad....13 sounds REAL bad.
    Well if you look at the new crop of CUVs that are supposed to be so much better than old SUVs like the Explorer you'll find that the MPG isn't all that much better. For example, the GMC Acadia is rated at 16/22. That's not all that much better than an Explorer and the Acadia can't tow nearly as much nor does it have the off-road capability of the Explorer.

Most people don't care about those two things so the CUVs are more attractive to most folks, myself included, and I think that and the slightly better fuel economy are definitely issues Ford has to address with the Explorer for the future.

Rumors in the big car mags have stated that the next Explorer will be a unibody and use the new Duratec35 motor which should give it more power and much better fuel economy. We'll see.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Explorer has no reason to go unibody. It already has one of the most expensive frames of any SUV in its class plus exclusive independant rear suspension. Only FORD and NISSAN have body on frames SUVS with independant Rear Suspension.
    Explorer has no reason to go unibody.

Considering what Ford will have on the lot when that is rumored to happen I totally agree with you. I'm just reporting what C&D and MT have written recently.
    I agree - I think this is dumb. But it's a pre-
    ARM idea, and maybe he'll nix it. I'm sure it's been done for CAFE reasons - and I suppose the Unibody would work as well as the Grand Cherokee does now, but I prefer the toughness of the Explorer frame for towing and rough service. In my mind, the Explorer has always been the gold standard of Mid-Sized SUVs and until recently, America agreed with me. I just don't see why it's so important that that be ruined.
    Another rumor is that the base engine will eventually switch to the Duratec35 in the Explorer and Mustang. If we can have an Explorer with fuel econ greater than or equal to that of the latest crop of large CUVs then why switch it's body/frame? It does serve a different purpose in body on frame form after all.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,670
    HP/Torque and MPG figures be for the Duratec35 engine???

You may not know MPG, but the HP and Tork should be a known amount...
    HP is about 265 in current applications like the Taurus, Edge, etc. Torque is right around 250 ft-lbs. That is much better than the current 4.0L V6 but it does produce the power at a higher RPM.

I've also read a rumor that the D35 will be the V6 for the base F-150 as well and that power will be decreased somewhat to allow torque to be produced at a lower RPM. I can't speak to what the numbers would be for a truck version if they do that but the numbers above are what we know from the current version.

Future Lincoln models will get a 3.7L version of the D35 so who knows, that may be used for the trucks too.

As for MPG, the 4546 lb. 2007 Mazda AWD CX-9 is rated at 16/22 mpg using the Mazda version of the D35 engine. I believe that rating is with the new EPA system too but I could be wrong. Being that the Explorer is roughly the same size and weight you can see the slight fuel econ benefit that engine can deliver while being more refined and powerful to boot.

HP in the CX-9 is 263 @ 6250 RPM, torque is 249 @ 4500 RPM. Edmunds did 0-60 in 7.7 seconds in their FWD tester which was 200 lbs lighter FWIW.
  • rwvtexplrrwvtexplr Posts: 6
    I'm looking for information from anyone that has used the folder navigation on the factory 6 cd radio when playing MP3 discs. I have been able to burn MP3 discs and play them but have not been successful in formatting the MP3 disc such that I can navigate through the MP3 folders.
    Instructions for MP3 folder trees are in the manual. I can't remember exactly what they say to do but I know it worked in my Mustang and Explorer both when I followed them. I had trouble getting them to work at first too.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Do not use more than one level of folder.

IE.

ROOT Directy:
    Folder:
    MP3
    MP3
    MP3

If you put a Folder in your Folder, you will have problems.
    folder
  • eoghan1eoghan1 Posts: 57
    We would like to leave the electric running boards in the extended or out position for the kids clambering in and out rather than have them retract when the doors automatically lock. It seems like a lot of wasted motion and cause of premature wear. Is this do able?
  • wblake99wblake99 Posts: 18
    You can go into the menu and set them to be out right now, like for washing them, but they will always revert back to going up and down I believe.

Once you start driving and get above something like 5 or 10 mph they will retract and stay there until you either open a door or go into the menu while stopped. I have never tried to deploy them while driving, but I would guess that the computer will stop you from doing that.
  • rplumrplum Posts: 48
    Hey guys, could any of you that have a 2007 (or 2006 maybe) Explorer tell me if the car's message center will display individual tire pressures - or is there just the basic single TPMS light wich does not indicate which tire is low?

Thanks!
    In our '06 there's only one light which does not tell you which tire.
    You do not get individual readouts - you get a low tire warning light, coupled with a tone, and a LOW TIRE PRESSURE message in the message center. Which, I may add, came in VERY handy last weekend, when I was on the road, and the light came on. I had a nail in my right front tire, unrepairable, and the tire was hissing air. I would have probably torn the right front fender up had I not stopped and changed the tire before it disintegrated. Nice feature.
    Would be nicer if it was tire specific, I agree. In that case though, you could never rotate your tires.
  • rplumrplum Posts: 48
    hmm ok. It looks like in some places this feature was falsely advertised to be in the 2007 Edge's Message Center, but wasn't. I was curious if Explorer has the same, or maybe even upgraded message center.