Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

About the Tuning & Modification Board

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
Welcome to the Tuning & Modification board.

The discussions here are for members to discuss and share photos of customizations, installations of gadgets and the overall talk of performance enhancements and modifications.

Comments

• fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Member Posts: 215
    I just found this board. Are you going to put a link on the Townhall home page to it? It doesn't show up there.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Fredmcmurray, thanks for noticing.

Yes, that bug is in the queue to be fixed. Meanwhile, we're glad you found us.

Steve, Host
  • r_gizzle21r_gizzle21 Member Posts: 2
    are there any aftermarket chips and turbo kits for the mazda 6 sedan inline4
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might ask in the Mazda 6 Owners' forum, which is here:

Mazda 6 Owners: Accessories and Modifications.

MrShiftright
    Co-Host
  • lljjmmlljjmm Member Posts: 1
    Which Year of TPI system would be useable. All 4 of the center manifold bolts appear to be at the same angle. Any pertainent info on the install would be appreciated.
  • alaskasierraalaskasierra Member Posts: 2
    I am adding an AFE cold air intake with a Granitelli mass airflow sensor to my 99 sierra. I also wanted to use a chip programmer like superchips or diablo after the engine parts are put on. Will the mass air sensor and chip grogrammer have conflict if installed??? The diablo programmer can get custom programs to run smoothly with the mass air sensor I imagine using the internet or local programmer. I live in alaska so custom programmers are limited to find I think, If there is a soultion to all this plz let me know. I asked some rep from superchips and he told me that it WONT work the mass air sensor, so thats why I want to figure out if the Diablo can line up correctly with the engine upgrades nicely. I have the superchip with no upgrades on right now and its a good peice of equipment so far, but I want the cold air + mass air sensor on as well. I have all 3 items but dont want to sell the superchips programmer, but maybe use the Diablo instead and get a coustom dyno program. TY for reading my long post but its an intracate situiation as YOU can see. PLZ GIVE ME SOME INFO OR INSIGHT WHAT TO DO!!! it on a 99 gmc sierra 5.3 engine (AFE cold air intake stage 2, granitelli mass airfow sensor with cold air tuning, and maybe a engine programmer 2)
  • jljamesjljames Member Posts: 1
    Can you recommend a performance chip or programmer for my 2003 Lexus GX-470? I would like to improve my horsepower and mileage if possible. I see a lot of products for American made trucks, but not much for my Lexus. I see the Unichip and the Superchip in my searches. Is this the best way to achieve horsepower and mileage?
  • fordhorrorfordhorror Member Posts: 20
    Hello Steve and Shiftright,
    I own a 4.0l 210 hp mustang. what are the pors and cons of replacing this engine with a a) GT 500 hp engine or b) any other mustang engine powerful than my current one? if so where can i get more details about this like price and other options.
    Also I have a 93 volvo w/ B230 engine, can i replace it with something more powerful? if so what can i replace with?

Also tell me about the 4.8l interceptor engines that are being sold online. Thank you
    Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Shifty is the wrench turner around here so I'm going to defer to him.

Check out the Ford Mustang: Accessories & Modifications and Mustang 302 Engine Swap discussions too.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think either project is worth doing. You'd be much better off selling the V6 Mustang and buying a newer V8, which will give you all the power you'll need...and then, if you wish, you can add some mods to the stock '06 or '07 V8 Mustang. If you try and do an engine replacement you'll need an entire donor car's computer system as well and there would be an enormous amount of figuring out to do---to say nothing of having to strenthen the '05s chassis, brakes and suspension to take 500HP. And finally, you'd end up with a car worth less than a stock V6 Mustang.

The Volvo is the same deal...it's not a car worth modifying because you'd have to do something really radical.

You might look into supercharging or turbocharging the V6:

Here's a link for that:

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=162

That should boost you up to perhaps 275HP or so or maybe more, depending on what you do, and should cost under $3,000.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    best BOV valve adjustment is to chuck it. 95% of aftermarket BOVs actually yield less power!

-mike
  • jfox3874jfox3874 Member Posts: 1
    Would anyone know where I could find performance parts for the new ss, like exhaust, mainly engine management?
  • innapropriatusinnapropriatus Member Posts: 6
    I ordered the car with catback exhaust, TRD lowering springs, strut brace and rims. I am looking for info on slotted brakes and an intake. I would also like to find an upper and lower set of billet grilles for it as well...
    Any tips?
    What kind of road racing are you doing that you need slotted brakes? Didn't know anyone campaigned a Solara in racing events. :)

Seriously though, slotted rotors are not at all needed unless you are at a decent level of racing.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    I have seen slotted brakes on a lot of cars, not just the road racers. With the ten spoke rims I want to put something that looks good behind the wheel. But most important, I want the stopping power of slotted brakes...makes the car that much more safe to drive.
    Any suggestions?
    Also, what do I need to know about the wear issue on pads...I assume that slotted rotors wear down pads quicker?
    Ah the bling factor. :)

Well in that case go for drilled and slotted. Slotted rotors provide zero extra braking when used in a non-race situation. For bling factor they are great for the street, but do not kid yourself into thinking they actually will help on the street.

As for wear, they will grind down your pads quicker and cannot be resurfaced, which are both downsides to using them on the street.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    Thanks for the tip. You seem to know a bit...so as far as the bling factor goes, what would you recommend?
    Also...I am looking for a billet grille for my 08, but no one seems to have one. I have checked all the most obvious places...any recommendations? I am looking for an upper and lower set like Trenz offers.
    PS...I have an image of what I want, but I do not know how to post it here.
This discussion has been closed.