Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 300ZX

Comments

• schittonuschittonu Member Posts: 3
    have your injectors tested and your coil packs..
  • schittonuschittonu Member Posts: 3
    where can i get cold air intake for a 1991 300zx??
  • jamonzjamonz Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 1990 300zx TT given to me. Runs smooth,needs alternator and body work. Looking for as much input as I can get on what to look for or watch out for with this car as well as good web sites for parts, new or used. Has 4 wheel steering, I know nothing about this option, any goods or bads?

Thanks for any input offered.
  • theman101theman101 Member Posts: 3
    ok i'm going to help you out on this one. for clean retail it will run $9,425 that means the car has to be dent free clean paint job and interior kept in good shape. so basicly a brand new car with 65k miles. The best thing to do would ask to test drive it and when you leave just take it to a mechanic and have him examine it. you ask is it a fair deal? well no it's not until he asks for $10,000.
    ahh that my friend is where you will have to get in an import magazine. now the parts they sell in the magazine can be used for show as in just everyday drive to work and since their heavy duty they can be used for racing.
    yes sir. it is possible. if the 300zx motor is a manual and the body frame for the 240sx is a manual then yes it could be possible.
  • jlaughmanjlaughman Member Posts: 2
    are you looking for another motor?? is it turbo or not??
  • toyoracing2006toyoracing2006 Member Posts: 4
    I myself am looking to buy a 1993 300zx TT and am wondering if I may be getting myself into something, the car has around 145000 miles on it and from what ive slowly but surely have been learning from fellow turbocharged car enthusiests, is that most turbo's whether they're stock or aftermarket usually and and is almost guarenteed to not last over 65k miles, I want to get this car but looking at the prospect of having to replace two turbo's seems outragiously expensive and as much as I love this car I dont want to buy it and have to do that. Anyone have a 300zx TT with over say 70k miles that could vouge that they wont just go out on me some random day?
  • jlaughmanjlaughman Member Posts: 2
    you can buy and sometimes even rent from the right place wheel lock removers you pound them on and use an impact wrench to take the locks off
  • dmartin_1dmartin_1 Member Posts: 6
    Valve seals. When you step down on it its sucking the oil past your seals. Danny :(
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    aren't allowed in our Forums per our Membership Agreement, so I had to remove a few posts here.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• clinecclinec Member Posts: 1
    I have an 1988 300zx with a temperature gauge problem. It is not a turbo and I have called the dealer and no one can tell me where the temperature sending sensor is located. Please advise.
  • jbentzjbentz Member Posts: 1
    I got a complete OEM wiring set from http://www.courtesyparts.com. It cost me $246.

Before that, I got just the connectors and had them spliced in, but after some mechanic did me the favor of cleaning my engine with that shiney stuff, it started missing in two cylinders after the engine warmed up, and I can't track it down. So I just decided to replace the whole harness.

Now, can anyone tell ME how to get it through the firewall WITHOUT pulling out my dashboard or AC unit (which I think also means pulling the dashboard.

HELP!
  • johnny_rottenjohnny_rotten Member Posts: 12
    Coolant temp. sensor should be in the lower intake manifold right between #1 and #3 injectors.
    I was wrong not in the intake, look just below the distributor. You'll see just a bit sticking out.
  • bucrucox08bucrucox08 Member Posts: 8
    Just bought the car really cheap and it's running rough. I replaced the plugs but the 6th one looked like it hadn't been firing. The 6th cyl is not firing...the clip reads out 10.6ish volts while the rest are over 12...are there any typical electrical issues w/ the 6th cylinder? (I swapped coils and the coil and plug are fine.) I've had camaros my whole life..I'm used to bad distributors and plug wires. Can anyone with some 300zx experience give some advice? Thanks
    10.6 V is a little on the low side, check continuity of your power transistor. You might also try pulling the codes out of the ECU
  • tvancetvance Member Posts: 4
    1995 300 zx i have replaced the alt 3 times hooking each wire up right each time the charging sys does not charge bat runs below 12 car will not start i need help or my son going to kill me :cry:
    i just bought a 1995 300 zx runs well does not have turbo but twin cam lether interior with suede t tops no leak all allamerican 16 rims how much should i ask
    what is the mileage is it the original engine? how is the paint? 4 grandish....as a ballpark i would say...check ebay and find a comporable vehicle and see what it sells for. Ebay vehicles sell a bit on the high side, but will give you an idea of where to start.
    thanks
  • jim300zxjim300zx Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1991 300ZX turbo and I need to replace the spoiler. I put on an aftermarket part, but it isn't right. I have tried eBay and various junkyards looking for the real part, but no luck. Any ideas on where to get a genuine spoiler for the 1991 turbo (the spoiler that says "Twin Turbo" on the passenger side)?

Thanks
  • g37guyg37guy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 300zx I need to know a three ?'s I keep getting different information.
    1 The washer fluid light on the dash will not go off? Is the sensor in the rear wash tank?
    2 The Parking Brake light stays on?
    3 Some a hole stole the original bose radio out of my car where can I get a new one. I know they suck I just like the OME look.
    If you can help thanks in advance!
    yeah I kept an oem radio...i think the sensor is in the rear tank...i think i remember it being there when i stripped one. No idea on the parking break light. drop me an email on the radio. kirbdizz@yahoo.com
  • zedguyzedguy Member Posts: 1
    Under the bonnet there is a black plastic fuse / relay box on the inner wing close to the headlight.

In there is a fuse marked "ign cont" on the box lid from memory a red 10 amp, this controls the alternator charge circuit which activates the alternator output, check this fuse, even if it looks ok replace it as have seen many that look ok but have gone high resistance either ay this will stop the alternator charging at the corrct 13.5 to 14 volts

Hope that helps

www.zedworld.co.uk
  • alchaalcha Member Posts: 1
    Our much loved 1984 300ZX just bit the dust. :cry: It has numberous mechanical problems (leaky seals, differencial problem ect) Interior needs work but the body is solid (factory-custom paint job), tires are good. It's so old though!

How do we decide what to do with it? It has been a fantastic car for all these years, low maintanence and made it to 230,000 miles! I hate to junk it but have no idea how to sell it, or for how much? Also I'm not sure if it can be smogged for sale in CA. Any ideas?
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    If your '84 300 ZX runs, albeit with problems, why not try to sell it on Craigslist, with full disclosure of the problems, for, say $1,000? That's a lot more than the junk yard will pay. Ask $1,200-$1,500, and accept $1,000 or best offer.

By the way, I have an '88 with 174,000 on it, but it still runs and looks okay. Not perfect, but quite okay; a 7 or 8 on a scale of 1-10. At some point, though, I'll have to decide what to do with it.

Which seals leak? Is this issue simply due to mileage, or did the car run low on oil or overheat?

Please let us know how you dispose of your Z.
  • kellogg_kidkellogg_kid Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1984 Nissan 300 ZX with Turbo, it starts up great and will run a minute then it will just turn off. THen start it up and it does the same thing. Any ideas.
  • bsduvallbsduvall Member Posts: 1
    There are flames shooting out of the tail pipe and is not sure what could be causing it.
  • aikido2aikido2 Member Posts: 5
    Having some issues with the car starting and/or staying cranked.
    Engine starts and run fine for about 30-45 minutes..when it's cold.
    Once the car gets a little warm, it starts making sputtering sounds as if it's going to cut off. Sometimes it does cut off, and sometimes it doesn't.
    One thing for sure is once you cut the car off, it will not crank back up for about an hour or two. When you turn the ignition it sounds like it wants to crank up, but it won't. It actually sounds like it's being flooded. I have spent $900 bucks taking it to a shop; yet they still cannot fix the problem.
    Anyone has any ideas what it maybe?.
  • aesculusaesculus Member Posts: 1
    I am the original owner of a 1990 300ZX twin turbo with only 35,000 miles. As you might guess from the mileage, I've pampered this car and it is in incredible condition. But because I drive it so infrequently, I'm beginning to question whether the insurance, etc. is worth it. So I'm wondering, if I get up the nerve to sell it, how do I determine an appropriate price, and what is the best way to sell it? I wish I had taken down the information from the dozens of guys who have walked up to me over the years and said, "I you ever want to sell your car...."
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    Ebay quickly comes to mind. I would watch the 300zx listings for a while to get an idea of what your car might bring. Remember, if it is priced right it will sell regardless of condition -- if not, nobody will bid on it. I enjoy looking through the auctions from time to time and have seen a few low mileage Z's pass thru there that might be comparable to yours.

There are several 300zx forums on the web that might also help you get a feel of your cars value. Google "300zx forums" or "300zx clubs" and things like that to find them. People participating on boards like those are true fans of the car and would likely be the most knowledgeable about what a given car may be worth.

With an older specialty car in pristine condition like yours, pricing guides like KBB, NADA, etc. are worthless when trying to determine value. For that matter, they are really a joke with modern cars also.

Good luck with your decision. I wish I were able to seriously consider buying it --- it sounds like a real gem.
  • sergio10casergio10ca Member Posts: 3
    can anyone tell me where can i get the universal joints? or some one has a webpage where can buy parts i have a 1986 300 zx
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    I'm puzzled. Why do you say "...pricing guides like KBB, NADA...are really a joke with modern cars also"?
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    The guides are out of date and unreliable the day they are printed. Guides do not buy cars. The only reliable indicator of value is what a particular vehicle is bringing at the auctions. Dealers have access to auction data; regular consumers do not. A dealer will not pay you more for your car when they could go to the auction and get the same vehicle for less.

There are a few good dealers participating in the Real World Trade in Values thread here on Edmunds. They base their appraisals on auction data and are considered to be on spot with their assessments. I am not a dealer myself. If you need more clarification, you may want to direct a question to them in the appropriate forum.
  • jack95jack95 Member Posts: 1
    My father in law has an 84 300ZX. It was his daughters and she passed away recently. He wants to fix it up but it needs 2 new front fenders. Runs great. Does any one know where you can get after market fenders for this vintage. I have spent hours looking with no success.
    Jack
  • cb300zxcb300zx Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 91' 300ZX Fairlady Z non turbo. It vibrates at abotu 45mph to 60mph even with the clutch in and or out of gear. So most likely its a u-joint, but you cant buy just a u-joint, you need to buy an entire drive shaft. I haved looked every where online but cant seem to find a drive shaft for this car. Does anyone know where I can order one? The only ones they have online are for the turbo models. Can someone plaese help me? :confuse:
  • darkmanndarkmann Member Posts: 16
    I'm in the market for a Z32TT. I have a 89 Z31T with near 250K on the ODO. Still runs great but I want to "upgrade." I have been looking and with your mileage, I think you'll be in the $11-$12K range, depending on location. E-mail me at darkfelloww@yahoo.com. Color, maintenance history, etc...etc. Don't use the e-mail with Edmunds because I almost never open that anymore.
    I have a 89 ZXT (the Z31 model, not the Z32 you're looking at) and it has just over 250K on the ODO. The turbo is still as strong as ever and there's no smoking at all. It's my daily driver on my 90 mile round trip work commute, so about 98% of those miles are at highway speeds, usually between 65-70. I just maintained the car very well, using mostly the dealer for critical issues and stuffing Mobil-1 since at 15K. Yes, unmaintained, the turbos will go quickly. What kills them is heat combined with gunk in the oil. Regular oil changes with quality oil (synthetic) and they may last forever. Have the turbos checked by a Nissan shop.
    I believe it's located on the firewall near the battery area.
    I don't know where you're located but East Coast Z in Chessapeake, VA has a ton of Z31 and Z32 parts. I have been on their yard and it's incredible what collection they have. I don't have his phone number right now, but Google them.
  • ghale2008ghale2008 Member Posts: 2
    gunfighter: I have the same exact problem you have, i have a 1985 300zx, good fuel flow, starter turns the engine strongly , but no fire from the distributor I also changed the coil to no success. did you ever find a solution , if so please share. Or anyone with a solution to this problem please help

Thanks
  • jon300jon300 Member Posts: 1
    nismo.com, replace the whole unit with single shaft, may be the best mod you'll ever do. forsure use a lift be prepared for alot of snapped bolts (12mm)on heat guards especially.replace the trany mount also($60).if the exhast system is in good condishion its a plus, bring a friend to help.its a bit of a bugger to get the splines to the trany lined up to slip in. over all not a tough project.could never figure why the hell they stuck a tow piece shaft in at all? in reality, the shaft is from a 280Z, or so i'm told by the nismo dude.$200 plus shipping apox. sure makes for a smooth ride! good luck ,jon
    i finaly decided to chase the wires down like the trouble shoting said to do in the chilton i fount out that if you are faceing the car fixing to open the hood when you open the hood on the left behind the battery directly behind it almost under it is the wireing conection that comes from the alt.and comes up to this point then a conection that goes on to the batery and to the electronics on the left under the hood about 34 inches away this or these conections were croded with battery acids and needed cleaning i cleaned and haved had no problem sence if this dont fix call back
  • ghale2008ghale2008 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info , I inspected the wires as you described behind the battery. I also changed the ignition relay, & the ignition moduel, but still have the same problem. the car has started before so i know it runs , it's that from time to time it goes through this not starting problem. Anyother suggestions.

Thanks

Ghale
  • jfkgunnerjfkgunner Member Posts: 1
    Have a 86 300ZX, back window and t-tops need the rubber molding replaced. Does anybody know where to get some? Nissan does not make anymore and no one on the internet car parts shops have it.
    I don't have the cover for fuse box on the kicker pannel for my 1990 300zx 2+2 non-turbo. I was wondering if anyone had theirs or knew off hand which fuse ran for the drivers window. Thanks (ps anyone need any parts lemme know)
  • z32chicz32chic Member Posts: 16
    ebay ebay ebay
  • bpuz31bpuz31 Member Posts: 2
    it could be your TPS there is a plastic piece with a metal strip on it that is glued to the rotating part of the sensor.when you rev it up the throttle opens and the plastic piece stays still and continues to make continuity when it shouldnt be so the computer thinks that the car is only at idle so the engine doesnt get enough fuel.mine did the same thing.i tied some floss arond it.its been wokin since, i never got a new one.
  • ducky6ducky6 Member Posts: 1
    i am have this kind of problem with my 96 300 zx when i get to a stop sign or light it shuts off but will start right back up most of the time.
    i stuck and dont know what to do!!