Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pickup shopping: general thoughts/experiences on makes

bill545bill545 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Looking to buy a smaller one as primary transportation. Doubt I'll go new, but don't want to go old either...probably somewhere from late 90s on up, depending what I find. Here are my general feelings/understandings (which more or less coincide w/Edmunds, it appears):

Chevy/GMC: like the styling, but not reliable
Ford: good value/trucks I guess, just prejudiced against Fords
Dodge: good trucks but a little too "truckish" for me (too big, not enough of a car feel to the cab, etc)

Nissan: good reliability/value, but never have exactly been "lookers" - not sure I could get past that
Mazda: good value also; only real beef I have is uncomfortable seats (and what's up w/that material, it's like some funky polyester)
Toyota: earn their rep as reliable and look great, but way overpriced

Any impressions or experiences on trucks in this range/years you've owned appreciated...

Comments

• virgiesmomvirgiesmom Member Posts: 59
    Looking for some model recommendations on what would fit. Here is what I need:
    Full size (driver is 6'5") "extended" or "crew" cab type.
    1-4 yrs old to keep the $$ outlay down.
    V-8, 4x4, will be used on construction sites to move some material around but not a real work horse required.
    Will need to be driven around the Wash. DC area so handling and safety and reliability are critical. Will want to keep for 4-5 yrs...will put 20K mi per year on it. Some of my thoughts from reading these sites:
    Titan: too new
    Ford/Chev/GMC: these are the work horses.
    Dodge: aren't they less money but not as "rugged"? ALtho I don't believe I need rugged.
    Tundra: pricey but reliable with longevity.

Appreciate any thoughts....Virgie
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    I'd go with a Dodge V-10 or Cummins diesel. Anything imported goes straight to the crusher. Just my opinion your may differ.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Just so you know - a Mazda is a Ford Ranger, with a small amount of exterior appearance difference and minor interior trim and option differences.
  • jpm7jpm7 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a pick-up truck to tow a small fishing boat to the boat ramp. I'll also drive 45 min on highways to get to airport 2 times per month.

What is the best V6 engine pick-up from late '90's or early 00's that has crew cab (for kids) and is safe and dependable (a work horse)?

JPM 7
  • heldtheldt Member Posts: 1
    >>I'm looking for a pick-up truck to tow a small fishing boat to the boat ramp. I'll also drive 45 min on highways to get to airport 2 times per month.

>>What is the best V6 engine pick-up from late '90's or early 00's that has crew cab (for kids) and is safe and dependable (a work horse)?

We have two trucks:

A 1992 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6, 4 speed auto -- mileage is 130K.

We bought the Ranger so we could retire our other truck for just my work beater -- 1992: a 1987 Toyota with a 22R 4 banger, 4 speed manual. It had 140,000 on it when I drove the Ranger home.

Damn, but our Ford never could, and still can't, lug my 14 ft flatboat up the hills of NE Iowa. To this day, and with over 250,000 miles on the odometer, the Toyota still pulls my boat and hauls my firewood and can run circles round the Ranger

The Ranger is the wife's work . If it wasn't cheap transportation we'd get rid of it.

Toyotas all the way for me from now on: more Guts, far fewer repairs (did I mention what a pain it is to do routine maintenance on the Ford?)
This discussion has been closed.