Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus X Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Guys,

Thanks for your feedback, your $100 comment was funny.

As I stated before, it is not my intent to offend anyone, but the bottom line is: if you know what you are doing (my intent on this board is to inform), one can purchase a car below the invoice price and not pay any extra fees or add-ons. Additionally, getting cheap financing (unless you are credit unworthy) is not difficult to arrange (sometimes the dealer has some great factory deals). I agree the trade is more difficult, but if the perspective buyers use the proper references and conduct the trade negotiations after securing the best price on the car, you can mitigate this problem (although by selling the trade yourself, you can avoid this problem and get more for your trade). This is not rocket science!

I agree, not everyone will be able to get the best deal on their new car, but they will be better off financially for trying. This does not need to be a significant emotional event, just a business transaction. I wish everyone the best on their deals!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    20 posts in the last two days, and not one of them has an actual price paid... :surprise:

If you want to discuss the best way to post prices, then take it to e-mail...

Prices Paid and Buying Experience... that's all we want.

Thanks!!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Good Point! Back to work.

Current Update

Post your best deal in terms of below invoice price:

07 Freestyle $4900 below invoice. (Any of these left on the market?)

08 T-X $1000 below invoice. (This number is very low, better deals are being made with the CX-9 and VC)

With all the rebates, at a minimum current deals on 08s should be at least equal to the rebate below the invoice price or better. (ie... $1500 rebate = $1500 below invoice) with not extra fees or add-ons.

As part of your car deal question all extra fees the are not paid to the local and state Govt at TT&L and avoid add-ons!

Keep your trade (if you have one) and financing separate from the cost of the car.

There are a lot of people on this site that are willing to assist you.

Good Luck.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    hmmm post 501 didn't have any new prices paid information either ;)
    Post 502, for that matter....

Any more posts that don't directly relate a shopping/buying experience.. with possibly a price paid.. will be deleted without notice..

Thanks,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• djkm1djkm1 Member Posts: 11
    I was quoted $33445 for a fully loaded Limited FWD. That price is to order the vehicle. That equates to $100 over invoice. I was told there was a $399 processing fee that was non-negotiable. Haven't ordered yet.
  • danallandanallan Member Posts: 32
    Everything is negotiable. But, if you aren't prepared to walk away if they don't drop the $399, then probably you shouldn't negotiate. If you do pay it, then you owe me $49 for this advice.

Stand firm and don't pay it.
    Concur with Danallan; Do not pay it!

I would shop a $100 (or more) below invoice deal (minus the rebate) with no fees to a few other dealers. You have nothing to lose, remember time is on your side. Do not let the dealership dictate your purchasing time line.

Good Luck!
    You've already lost some negotiation room when you go to a dealer to special order a vehicle. One reason is that the dealer already knows you're set on buying a TX. Also, since you want to order, there's no carrying costs for a TX on his lot that he wants to unload. That's why a lot of special deals and financing always say, "...when purchased from dealer's lot..."

On the other hand, if you're special ordering it's easy to call around to a few dealers and ask them if they'll reduce/waive the processing fee. You could always hint on the phone that you might be interested in financing or might have a trade-in and that might get a dealer to come down a little too.

Let us know how it goes.
  • humblecoderhumblecoder Member Posts: 125
    I talked to my salesman today. The factory order that I placed back at the beginning of December finally has a "firm" delivery date. It looks like my TX will be delivered the first week of March. Assuming that the date isn't pushed back, that would mean it will take about 13 weeks from order to delivery.

Hopefully this will be helpful information to those considering a factory order.
    Ford Sales continue to decline!

The only product that has improved sales is the Edge.

More incentives should be available on the TX soon!
    Price Paid for Eddie Bauer FWD TX
    Merlot FWD w/ following: moonroof, aux climate control, nav system, power lift gate, sirrus, heated seats, 18" chrome wheels, reverse sensing, 2nd row floor console, DVD. I was quoted at one dealer at 500 below invoice. My original dealer was able to knock off another $500 by utilizing the X-Plan.

Breakdown of pricing
    X-Plan Merlot FWD w/ above stated options $33591
    Less Customer Rebate (1500)
    Less X-Plan Rebate (1000)
    Subtotal $31091

Not too bad. My experience was very good, no pressure, no urgency. I shopped two different stores, one strictly over the internet (the 500 below invoice cost). That experience was easy as well. They gave me 500 below invoice. I did tell them that I knew what the holdback price. Maybe that is why I got no resistance but I will never know for sure.

The Finance manager tried to sell me the Premium Maintenance Plan and the extended service plan. I said no thanks. He asked me why I declined and I stated that I could get the extended service plan over the internet for half of the cost I could get it from the dealer. He then pulled out a binder with what he said were all of the Ford extended plan prices that were available on the net. He then offered me 10% below internet price. I told him I needed to think about it. He said that his offer was good until the end of February and he would appreciate my business. I'll think about this and shop around. Any suggestions on companies? And is the Premium Maintenance plan a good investment? Thanks
    Depends on how much you normally spend on oil changes?
    Breakdown of pricing
    X-Plan Merlot FWD w/ above stated options $33591
    Subtotal $31091

What is this X-Plan rebate that you are talking about? I am purchasing using the X-Plan and I haven't heard anything about an X-Plan rebate. Can you post information about this rebate so I can use it for my deal? Thanks!
    Looks like you might have a good deal on your hands.

What is the final price below invoice (including rebates and extra fees, but not TL&L)?

As for the ESP, 10% is nothing, I am thinking 35-50% is a okay deal. There is usually 80-100% profit in this product. Becareful, there are several different programs with different deductables, so comparing can be tricky. It is a good program, I used it several years ago and it paid for itself 5 fold, I would only consider the premium coverage.

Good Luck!
    Humblecoder,

Breakdown of pricing
    X-Plan 2008 Merlot FWD w/ above stated options $33591
    Subtotal $31091

I bought my car the end of January, and the XPlan rebate must be on top of the general public $1500 cash rebate. I did not inquire of my dealer if there was a X Plan additional rebate, he just informed me there was. He was trying to beat the $500 below invoice that a competing dealer was offering me.

I am looking at the dealer invoice which I received from my dealer and it states the following:

Date Invoice Prepared: 08/09/07

Total Holdback: 1068
    Invoice Total: 33651
    A & Z Plan: 32291
    D Plan: 32391
    X Plan: 33591

Goodluck.
    Seloo,

I was able to negotiate $2000 below invoice ( $1500 cash back from Ford, and another $500 from holdback)

With X Plan I was able to get a total of $2500 below invoice. ($1500 cash back from Ford, and $1000 cash back for X Plan).
    Did you pay any extra fees on this deal?

Thanks
    I was told there was a $75 procesing fee for the XPlan, but if I was charged it was not a line item on my invoice, so I assume it was absorbed into the invoice cost of the vehicle cost.
    It should have been listed on the sales sheet.

Please double check your sales sheet to insure they did not slip any extra fees on the deal.

It looks like your deal is $2425 under invoice. Good job, you did not leave much money on the table!
    Post your best deal in terms of below invoice price:

07 Freestyle $4900 below invoice. (Any of these left on the market?)

08 T-X $2425 below invoice. (New Post)

As part of your car deal question all extra fees the are not paid to the local and state Govt at TT&L and avoid add-ons!

Keep your trade (if you have one) and financing separate from the cost of the car.

There are a lot of people on this site that are willing to assist you.
    08 T-X $2425 below invoice. (New Post)
    You might want to note that this was an X-Plan sale.
    X-Plan:

"Happy New Year everyone! I've got 8 new pins this year for anyone that's interested in a Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar or Land Rover product. This is great way to buy a car because there's virtually no haggling at all."

Note the message above from the net, as you can see a X-plan PIN is not hard to come by. In fact, I have heard of some dealers willing to provide PINs to customers to make a sale. I can get one from my home town dealer!

Many times, depending on the rebates from the factory to the dealership or customer, you can beat normal X-Plan deals!

I think our friend djkm1, did an outstanding job with his deal!

With Ford's declining sales, we may see TXs at $3K below invoice soon!

Good luck to all.
    X-Plan is for immediate family members of Ford employees. If people want to try to use illegal pins then go for it...once the paperwork clears and they find out that you have no affiliation to Ford you'll get a bill for the difference up to MSRP.

And since djkm1 used the Xplan, that alone gave him invoice price, plus his $2500 in rebates = $2500 under invoice that he paid. Anyone walking into the dealer with X-plan pin would have got the exact same deal, so while it's a good deal, it's the starndard price anyone would pay. So I'm unclear on your comment that he did an "outstanding job" on the deal with those rebates and the X-plan.
    X-Plan is for immediate family members of Ford employees. If people want to try to use illegal pins then go for it...once the paperwork clears and they find out that you have no affiliation to Ford you'll get a bill for the difference up to MSRP.

I think you are confusing X-Plan with A-Plan. A-Plan is a pricing plan for Ford employees and immediate family members.

X-Plan is for friends of Ford employees, employees of selected business partners, as well as members of certain organizations. Ford allows its employees to give out a certain number of PINs per year to their friends. There are several forums on the web where people can request unused PINs from Ford employees. These PINs are perfectly "legal" and users of these PINs should not be afraid to use them. I believe Ford even encourages this since it is a form of grassroots marketing.

I am eligible for X-Plan because I work for a company that is one of Ford's suppliers, so I can request up to two PINs per year. However, unlike Ford employees, I am not allowed to give them away (so don't ask! :) ).

Did you get the extra $1K on your deal?
    "Anyone walking into the dealer with X-plan pin would have got the exact same deal, so while it's a good deal, it's the standard price anyone would pay."

I am not sure if your statement is correct.

The other members of the board using the X-Plan did not report such a savings. In fact, they asked our friend how he was able to get such a good deal.

By "other members of the board" you mean me, since I was the only one who asked. :)

In this case, I think seloo is right. I checked the X-Plan web site as well as several other sources, and as far as I can tell, there is no special $1000 X-Plan rebate offered by Ford on top of the normal incentives.

My guess is that the $1000 "rebate" is just a discount that the dealer gave the original poster to help close the deal. When I bought my previous Ford vehicle, I bought one off the lot using X-Plan. I was undecided over buying the vehicle since it had some additional options that I wasn't interested in. In order to get me to buy it , the dealer offered to discount the vehicle over and beyond the X-Plan price. They didn't call it a rebate, though. They just called it a discount. :)
    Did you get the extra $1K on your deal?

My deal is X-Plan price minus any incentives/rebates in effect at the time of delivery. So if this $1K X-Plan rebate is a real manufacturer's rebate (see my previous post), and if it is still in effect in March when I take delivery, then yes, I will get it.

I'll let you know in a few weeks!
    I hope you get it! Please let us know.
    ..... and maybe quite a few more that got thrown out with the trash, inadvertently...

Stay on topic... This discussion is about pricing, not about each other.. If you think I'm only referring to the other guy, you would be wrong..

Thanks,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

All I'm saying is that rebates and dealer incentives vary by time and geographically, so it's go to know if that was part of the price, as well as if it was an X-plan purchase, just to give buyers more info on prices being posted. It's pretty easy to get $2500 below invoice with X-plan pricing and $2500 in rebates/incentives...no negotiation skills needed, just good timing and luck.
    I was able to negotiate $2000 below invoice ( $1500 cash back from Ford, and another $500 from holdback)

With X Plan I was able to get a total of $2500 below invoice. ($1500 cash back from Ford, and $1000 cash back for X Plan).

Djkm1,

Again great job on your deal.

Because you were armed with the right information, the first dealer was willing to give you part of his hold back (a $1K savings in your pocket when compared to a conventional thinking deal of $500 above the invoice price)

This forced the second dealer to do anything to earn your business. I agree with Humblecoder, I have never heard of a X Plan rebate (that does not mean that it does not exist), again it was most likely a factory to dealer rebate that most people never know about, but because you are a savvy buyer you were able to make a great deal. (a $1.5K savings over the $500 above invoice deal)

These days purchasing a car below invoice is not too difficult, but getting the dealer's holdback money or factory to dealer rebates (w/o giving your gains away on fees) is today's challenge.

Again, congratulations you have opened the door for members on the board to get significant below invoice pricing just like board members from other makes and models in Edmund's forums. In this case, you saved $1.5K of real dollars instead of leaving that money on the table. Informing buyers so they can get the best deal possible is the intent of this board.

With $2425 below invoice today, hopefully $3K below invoice deals are not far away.

Good Luck to all and keep posting those great below invoice deals!
    Here are a couple of websites I found doing a two second google search on X-Plan rebates open to all X-Plan participants. Again, all rebates are guaranteed and require no negotiation, so the $2500 in combined rebates would have been available to anyone in the same geographic area buying a TX at the same time if they had an X-Plan pin. The key factor to getting these rebates is timing and location. That's why on the Ford webpage they require you to enter your zip code.

http://www.mikefitzpatrick-flm.com/x-planonline.htm

http://www.samescrow.com/content/xplan.aspx
    "Additional Ford X Plan Incentives - Periodically, Ford offers additional incentives to the X Plan customer that are not available to the general pubic."

here's another info site if you have your pin.
    https://www.wslb2b.ford.com/login.cgi?WslIp=71.67.130.20&back=https://www.axz.fo- rd.com/axzweb/login.do

Bottom line is don't expect to necesarily get the same discounts if you're not an A, X, or Z Plan holder...just something else to ask if you see a really good purchase price posted, as well as if there was any trade-in, financing, etc involved.
    I did some more research into this whole X-Plan issue, and it appears there is a special X-Plan rebate available on the TX in certain geographic regions. Unfortunately, it is not available in my geographic region! :(

I went to Ford's X-Plan website, and I put in a California zip code. It looks like that region has a $1500 "public" rebate plus an additional $1000 X-Plan rebate, for a total of $2500. Based upon this, I would agree with bobw that buyers shouldn't expect to get this same deal.

The good news for those who ARE eligible for this deal is that this incentive runs through 3/31/2008!
  • larryqwlarryqw Member Posts: 52
    I just picked up my new Taurus X Limited FWD last week.

Here's the invoice prices of my new T-X:
    $27,931 T-X Limited FWD, Ice Blue Metallic, Leather seats,....
    443 FDAF Assessment (not at all negotialble - said to be on all cars)
    750 Destination Charge
    16 5 gallons gas and Calif. emissions charge
    1,736 Navigation System
    566 Auxillary Climate Control
    170 Satellite Radio
    866 DVD Family Entertainment System
    222 Limited Convenience Group
    $32,670 TOTAL Invoice price

Note the MSRP is $35,175, so Invoice is $2475 below MSRP.

Discounts off Invoice price above:
    $1500 Ford incentive
    500 AQHA (American Quarter Horse Assoc. - must be member 60 days prior to purchase)
    150 Off dealer holdback (I had other dealers offer $300 off, but I liked this guy)
    $2150 TOTAL off Invoice
    $4625 TOTAL off MSRP

$30,550 Price I paid, before tax and license.

Oh, and I absolutely LOVE the Taurus X. It drives better than I imagined. Got up to 28 MPG with over an hour of driving on a flat freeway at 60 MPH, and 25 MPG over an hour of steep rolling hills at 70 MPH. Everyone stops and gathers around it when I stop. The kids love the room and DVD player. My teen daughter loves the satellite radio, and I love the navigation and front control panel for everything.

I also didn't completely realize just how big the Taurus X is compared to other cars. It's even a touch bigger than an Explorer, and similar to most full size SUVs a step down from the Expeditions. It's good for maneuvering, yet lots of space for the family. And I'm no longer riding down low with the sedans any more, like I did with my Sable Wagon. It has plenty of power and feels real precise and easy to maneuver when driving around, while giving a soft and very quiet ride.

The SYNC is also a real delight, with all the interconnection and integration between everything. Of everything on the car, only the voice recognition needs help. I hate repeating or confirming everything all the time. It went from 25% to 50% first-command-acceptance after I trained it, but I hope to eventually get 90% after I learn how to say things properly. I also think the microphone isn't set up right, and I'm far away with the seat all the way back as a big guy. People say they hear some echo's and my voice is weak when I use the phone.
    Larryqw,

Nice purchase.

If dealers are willing to give up holdback money, then it is very likely that factory to dealer rebates are in play (unless the dealer is willing to share this F to D rebate information, it is difficult to know where the money is coming from)

Even without the AQHA rebate, your price is better than some of the X-Plan deals reported on this site!

Again Congratulations and enjoy your new car!
    Great deal. You should post your comments on the Crossover SUV Comparison forum. They love hearing about the TX. BTW, was there any trade-in on your deal?
    bobw3 wrote: "Great deal. You should post your comments on the Crossover SUV Comparison forum. They love hearing about the TX. BTW, was there any trade-in on your deal? "

No trade-in. I'm keeping my old '99 Sable wagon for my daughter who's just got her license. I'd only get $3K for it anyway.The Sable's a excellent and versitle car and it's still in perfect shape at 100K miles.

The Crossover Forum is getting to be a wild free-for-all. Some useful stuff even appears on occasion. I'm going to get some more time in the car before posting.
    I just looked at the MSRP sticker off the window that the dealer had thrown in the car. It shows a new base price of $30,575 instead of the $30,335, the MSRP base last September according to Ford and Consumer Reports. So the car must have gone up $240 with the new year while I was waiting. (????)

I didn't pay any more, so it could be considered another $240 off, for a total with all discounts of around $2390 below the new invoice price.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    If your vehicle has Synch that could account for the additional cost. They started installing it after Sep 30th.
    cmuniz wrote "If your vehicle has Synch that could account for the additional cost. They started installing it after Sep 30th."

Maybe, because I ordered the car in late August and took delivery mid-February. But I specifically ordered Job 2 with SYNC, which had just become available for order in late August.I suspect the new price would have been included with the new order code. Also SYNC added more like $400 rather than $240.

I also heard somewhere there was a price increase on Jan 1. I'm thinking it was perhaps that. In any case, it appears I somehow saved some more money compared to today's invoice.
    Humblecoder,

Where did you find your information concerning a special X-Plan rebate?

I found this on the web:

Some special rebates (like AQHA) can't be used but there are sometimes special plan only rebates available that make X plan even better. These are typically done when the mfr is offering dealer incentives that aren't advertised

These are factory to dealer incentives (not known by the public). It is my understanding that the dealer is under no obligation to share these with an XPlan customer. The dealer will most likely only use this rebate if he needs to beat someone else's deal, much like our example a few posts ago.

What are your thoughts?
    I logged into the Ford X-Plan web site. This web site has a section which allows you to view all incentives, both public incentives and incentives available to X-Plan customers only. You enter your zip code, and you can see the incentives for your "region", since these incentives vary by region.

When I entered a California zip code, I saw that there was a $1500 incentive that is publically available, plus an additional $1000 incentive that is only available to X-Plan customers.

The site lists this additional customer incentive as being "A/X/Z/D Plan Retail Customer Cash". Note that it says Customer Cash, and not Dealer Incentive. I am by no means an expert on the nuances of these terms, so I might be wrong. However, my impression is that customer cash isn't retained by the dealership if the dealership doesn't tell the customer about it. If that is the case, then there would be no logical reason why a dealership wouldn't tell the customer about it.
    Thanks for information.

On the last XPlan deal, it is very interesting that the first dealer did not offer the XPlan price to the buyer, but rather offered $500 of the holdback money. When the second dealer saw the deal offered by the first dealer, he then offered the XPlan plus the additional rebate to beat the first dealer's deal by $500.

Financially, not only did second dealer provided a better price to the customer, but made more money on the deal. Interesting.
    If that is the case, then there would be no logical reason why a dealership wouldn't tell the customer about it.

Exactly...that's why the best advice for A, X or Z plan pin holders is to log onto the Ford X-plan website and find out what's available.
  • kpevavkpevav Member Posts: 41
    I am trading a 2006 Freestyle SE with 30,000 miles for a 2008 Taurus X SEL with 10,000 miles and 2 1/2 years warranty remaining. There are two dealers, actually, with similar cars, who want about $10,300 total trade out the door. Since so many of you are both aware of the value of these cars, can you tell me whether that seems like a good deal for me?
    $10K seems expensive for a car 2 years newer and 20K less miles.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    Do an Edmunds or KBB price lookup for your vehicle and the one you want to buy.Remember you will be paying retail and getting the trade in value. Include the features/options and mileage for both vehicles. The difference should be what you can expect to pay. Actually, $10k difference on like vehicles after two years does not seem too bad. Remember you lose $5k the minute you drive out of the dealership!
  • kpevavkpevav Member Posts: 41
    I thought it does not sound too bad. The 2008 SEL has leather seats and then standard features such as auto dimming mirror, fog lights, and stability control, plus side air bags and curtains. The 2006 SE had none of those features. The warranty will last more than 2 years longer. Also, the FS needs tires, a 30K service, and I'm not sure about the brakes (they were replaced once at 18K).

There are no used prices on the TX yet that I can find (on KBB, Edmunds, NADA, etc.), so there is no guidance there. Edmunds show a new version of the 2008 SEL at just over $25K. The real trade-in value of mine seems like it is about $11,000 to 11,500.
    $17,300 is the retail value of a '06 FS SE with 30,000 (KBB), so a $11,500 trade-in value seems really low. How much did you pay new for your '06 SE out the door?
This discussion has been closed.