Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus X Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• kpevavkpevav Member Posts: 41
    They are actually giving me $12,500 against $21,500 plus tax, license, and the dealer fee. I also have priced a couple of sedans, and they seem to be giving me $11,800 against the Edmunds TMV price. I figure that take away the $699 (!) Ford dealer fee and you get to $11,800 as trade in value. (I bought the 2006 FS SE used about 1 1/2 years ago at $17,900.)
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Just curious, how are you getting all of these used vehicles in the same model year as the new ones? Are these the vehicles that dealers use to shuttle around folks or something? Unless there are a lot more folks then I think buying a new car and then trading it in within a year, or are there 1 one year leases?

I guess when you're buying used and trading in another used it's sort of hard to determine if it's a good deal or not. But lets say you separated the deals and sold the '06 yourself and got $15K and bought the used '08 for $22K, you'd have to pay $7000 instead of $10,000, so you're paying the dealer $3000 for the convenience of not having to sell your '06. That's a loss everyone pays for trading in their car at a dealer versus selling it on their own, so it's up to you if it's worth it.
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Post your best deal in terms of below invoice price:

07 Freestyle $4900 below invoice. (Any of these left on the market?)

08 T-X $2425 below invoice. (X-Plan Deal) Currently, there is $1500 customer cash/Factory to Dealer cash ???. At a minimum, start with a $2500 below invoice offer with no extra fees. If they say "no" leave your number and go to the next dealership. As the economy declines, time is on your side!

As part of your car deal question all extra fees the are not paid to the local and state Govt at TT&L and avoid add-ons!

Keep your trade (if you have one) and financing separate from the car deal.

There are a lot of people on this site that are willing to assist you.

Good Luck!
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    seloo,

Speak for yourself bud. Maybe your economy is in "decline". Mine isn't.. and neither is that of most people.

BTW.. Your postings on this board are of no help to anyone. You have no verifiable data with which to work. In fact, you have no data period. Ford has been selling about 3000 X's a month. Neither you nor anyone else has any way of determining what these vehicles are going out the door for. If you do... then tell me what I paid for my last vehicle. Go ahead. I'm waiting... Hmmmnn... I'm still waiting. I can't hear you. Speak up little guy.
  • larryqwlarryqw Member Posts: 52
    passat 2002, your comments were completely unwarranted and unjustified. seloo has been very helpful in summarizing the best deals without needing to read through 550 posts. He has been very helpful in keeping this useful thread alive. People can see how badly Ford is really discounting to sell the Taurii. If you don't care, don't read this thread.

seloo's comment about the declining economy is good assessment of the US economy. The dollar has dropped a tremendous amount compared to foreign currencies. One result is oil price is at a highest level ever. President Bush is giving out an "Booster Shot" with tax refunds to prime the economy. The Federal Reserve is even having emergency meetings to drop interest rates to try and stop an impending recession, which many economists say has started anyway. National housing prices have dropped 9% from last year, with foreclosures at the highest level in history. My dealer has said he's never seen such a bad economy for cars, and the recent year-over-year sales for all manufactures show a several percent decline from last year, first time to happen in many years.

Denial of an economic decline is absurd. If you have a lot of "surplus economy" yourself, maybe you can help bail out some of your foreclosing neighbors. But we don't care.

This thread does rely on people reporting honestly. I did. I suspect others are too. The only confusion sometimes is what rebates and fees were included in the price discount, which is why I detailed my invoice and price paid.
    Larrygw,

Thank you for your comments, we understand that the intention here is to share information and hopefully, save money on car deals.

As for our friend Passat 2002 and his comments concerning the state of the economy and the implication that Taurus X’s monthly sales are good, this could be his attempt at some satire.

I agree with your comments concerning rebates and fees. Some buyers really understand the concept with others provide some very confusing information. Thanks for making the numbers from your deal very understandable.

You are right; there has been a lot of coverage concerning the weak new auto market. I suspect we will see heavy discounting in the near-term. In many cases, dealers are hurting.

Take care,

Seloo
  • peter93635peter93635 Member Posts: 1
    I would greatly appreciate an X-plan pin. I am buying a new mazda 3 this week. How can I contact you? You can reach me at peter93635@gmail.com
    thanks
  • peetertpeetert Member Posts: 124
    We're still working out if we are going to buy/Lease a new TX or an '07 Freestyle. To that end, does anyone know the current lease rates and residuals for the AWD versions (SEL, EB and Ltd).

If we lease it'll probably be 3 yr, 15k/yr ( we've been averaging 13k on our current van)

Thanks

Peeter
  • humblecoderhumblecoder Member Posts: 125
    I finally took delivery this weekend of the TX that I had ordered back in December. The salesperson had originally estimated an order time of 8-12 weeks, but it actually took about 14 weeks. I wasn't in a rush so it wasn't a big deal, but if anyone is ordering a TX, they should expect a little bit of a wait!

Since I ordered, the price on the TX had increased, but with the X-Plan, there is price protection, so I didn't have to pay extra. Other than that, the deal was the same as what I had posted back in December:

2008 TX Eddie Bauer AWD
    Merlot with Gold Accent
    Reverse Sensing System
    Heated Seats

X-Plan Price: $30,342
    Rebate: $1,500
    Document Fee: $75 (the max fee allowed on X-Plan purchases)
    Total price before TTL: $28,917

Originally the invoice price was $30,388. However, this was back in December before the price increase. The MSRP went up by $240, so assuming that the invoice price went up by the same amount, my guess is that the invoice price was $30,628.
    So your X-Plan deal was like basically negotiating for $300 below invoice without having to negotiate.
  • raezmom3raezmom3 Member Posts: 20
    Why did it take so long for your car? I am ordering my car through military car sales and they are telling me that it takes 45 days, I hope that it won't take that its true.
    Why did it take so long for your car? I am ordering my car through military car sales and they are telling me that it takes 45 days, I hope that it won't take that its true.

You'd have to ask Ford that question! :) Any other answer that I'd give would be pure speculation on my part.
    So your X-Plan deal was like basically negotiating for $300 below invoice without having to negotiate.

Yes, pretty much! In addition, the X-Plan has a lot of consumer-friendly rules (max doc fee of $75, price protection for factory orders) which make it worthwhile for anyone who is eligible.

There is another Ford message board where people can request X-Plan PINs from current Ford employees. Ford employees are allowed to give away a certain number of X-Plan PINs per year to friends, so many give away their PINs to other posters who request them. I am not sure if I am allowed to post the URL or not, but if you do a google search you can find it pretty easily. It is definitely the way to go if you are interested in purchasing a Ford vehicle.

NOTE: I am not a Ford employee so I don't have any PINs to give away. So don't bother asking me for one...
    It was a really slow month, did anyone close a deal?

08 T-X $2425 below invoice. (X-Plan Deal) Currently, there is $1500 customer cash/Factory to Dealer cash ???. At a minimum, start with a $2500 below invoice offer with no extra fees. If they say "no" leave your number and go to the next dealership. As the economy declines, time is on your side!

As part of your car deal question all extra fees the are not paid to the local and state Govt at TT&L and avoid add-ons!

Good Luck!
  • swampdragonswampdragon Member Posts: 35
    Does anybody lease these vehicles?

I am interested in leasing a pretty stripped down one that seats 6 - 36k miles - 36 months and have no idea on a good price.

I think that the residual is going to be poor making other higher priced japanese cars a better leasing deal.
  • whoweare2whoweare2 Member Posts: 8
    In New England, there was $1000 retail cash and $1000 dealer cash and/or X-plan rebate in March. The best offers I had on Monday took both and went $150-200 into holdback (I didn't have AQHA, so I couldn't beat $2425!)

For April, retail cash is now $2000 on the Taurus X and the dealer cash and X-plan rebates are still in play, so today's best quote is $3200 below invoice -- a little better than X-plan.

(The vehicle I'm purchasing is a well-equipped demo -- $4300 below invoice + $39 doc fee -- but that shouldn't qualify for the leader board! Dealer is making his money on my trade at KBB "excellent", but it was competitive with other dealers and I don't have the time to sell this one myself.)
    Did some more research on the T-X incentives... looks like the $2000 (at least in my region) is good through the end of June! The X-plan rebate is good through the beginning of June -- I found it up to $2000(!) at different partners/zip codes. Don't know about the dealer cash.

Good luck to all!
    Is that a total of $4000 in rebates ($2K Customer and $2K X-Plan)

If that is the case, then $4K below invoice should be easy?

Thanks
    Seems that way (depending on the region, of course!)
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey Peeter. Here's the information that you're looking for. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value in most areas for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Taurus X Eddie Bauer AWD with 15,000 miles per year are 3.5% and 46%, respectively. The lease rates for otherwise identical leases of the Taurus X Limited AWD and SEL AWD are the same, but their residual values are 45%. When negotiating your lease on this vehicle, make sure to take the $1,750 lease cash that Ford is currently providing on it into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi swampdragon. I see that you have an excellent idea of how leasing works. You're right, chances are that the Ford Taurus X will have lower residual values than a similar Honda or Toyota. This vehicle's lease payment will vary depending upon what its MSRP and selling price are. I can make some assumptions and work up a sample lease payment on one for you to give you an idea of what to expect. I will base the lease on a 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL 2WD that has an MSRP of $27,830 and a selling price of $24,492 ($500 over invoice minus $1,750 lease cash). According to my calculations. if you were to lease this vehicle through Ford Credit right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $380.

Car_man
    Host
    Another really slow month, did anyone close a deal?

08 T-X $2425 below invoice. (X-Plan Deal) Currently, there is $2K customer cash/Factory to Dealer cash ??? and I understand $2K from the X plan.

With those discounts one would hope to see deals at $4K under invoice.

As always, question all extra fees the are not paid to the local and state Govt at TT&L and avoid add-ons!

Good Luck!
  • samminsammin Member Posts: 39
    Hi Carman-

I'm planning on leasing a pretty much fully loaded Ford Flex Limited...any early indications on resid/money factors from Ford?

Thanks
    Hi sammin. Ford hasn't published anything yet. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Car_man
    Host
    May pull the trigger on a new TX by the end of the month. I will be using the XPlan and I see a 2k in Factory Cash. Anything Else?

Thanks

Peeter
    Peeter,

This car has some really slow sales numbers. I am not sure if you prefer the 0% financing or the cash rebates, you will have to do the numbers to see which is better for your situation. Is the $2K rebate still available with the XPlan?

If you do not need a car today, I would really push for a deep deep discount well below invoice and on top of any rebates. The factory is doing all it can to help the dealers move cars, but you will need bid very low to find out how much assistance is being provided.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the reply.

Our original plan was to purchase in Sept. to get one more summer out of the Windstar, and hopefully get some good discounts on leftovers. However, the wife's parents buying a new car has piqued her interest and we have now started actively looking again. She had tested a Freestyle last year and liked it, and the TX still remains the top choice over the CX9 and Tribeca. We are going to look at an XC90 in the next couple of days and that may change ( we already have an s70 and this would make our 4th Volvo).

If the deals are there, we'll buy, otherwise, were content to wait.

So, should I look for a price below the XPlan and rebate to start?

Thanks
    I'd not even mention that you're buying with the X-Plan, because you may be able to do a lot better just negotiating on your own. You could always go to one dealer to get an X-Plan price, then go to another dealer and see what you can get without the X-Plan, since the X-Plan is a sure thing.
    Look again!

Ford's Website: Brought to you by: Atlanta District Ford Dealers

Offer Details:
    With up to $5,000 Cash Back, Now's a Great Time to Get into the Safest Seven-Passenger Crossover in America!*

1 "$1,500 Customer Cash + $3,000 Owner Loyalty Cash + $500 Ford Credit Bonus Cash. Owner Loyalty Cash available to customers that currently own or lease a 1998 or newer Ford car, SUV, or truck through F-550 and purchase a new 2008 Taurus X. Offer not available on Red Carpet Lease or with Lease Renewal Cash. Proof of ownership required. Trade-in not required. Ford Credit Bonus Cash requires Ford Credit financing. Not all buyers will qualify. Residency restrictions apply. Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 9/2/2008. See dealer for qualifications and complete details. *Based on both NHTSA five-star crash-test rating and, with optional electronic stability control, IIHS Top Safety Pick. Star ratings are part of the U.S. Dept. of Transportation's Safercar.gov Program (www.safercar.gov)."

*2 Offer available to current owners of '98 or newer Ford vehicles with valid proof of ownership. Trade-in not required. Not available on Red Carpet Lease. Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 7/31/2008. See dealer for complete details.

Confirmed with the Ford dealer today $5K off! We were talking about at least $5.5K below the invoice price likey more, but a Ford Program Car maybe even a better deal.

Prices are very soft on Ford Products!

It was just extended to 9/2/08!
  • nj1kcnj1kc Member Posts: 1
    Purchased the Taurus X SEL, with AWD at the end of June, so it was prior to these discounts. Had a couple of options-SEL 1, rear back up sensors, leather, sirius, microsoft sync, Listed $32400. Purchased for $27,000. No trade in. On the other hand Ive seen Nissan discounting uo to 40% off on their trucks so perhaps I could have gone lower but was out of a car and needed this. Very nice crossover, wife liked how it handles.
  • brian_in_mdbrian_in_md Member Posts: 8
    We just picked up an 08' Taurus X SEL FWD, with leather, SYNC, SEL Interior Convenience and Power Packages, 50/50 3rd row, and Sirius for $26,400 inc freight - about $2k under invoice. (I would have received an additional $500 off if I had used Ford Credit, but got a better rate elsewhere.)

(Dealer was Apple Ford in Columbia, MD. Nice people to deal with, although still a little pushy on all the high-profit dealer add-ons like undercoating, paint protection etc.)
  • holm100holm100 Member Posts: 11
    Can you tell me the current money factor and residual on the Taurus Limited and Sel models?
    Thanks
    Hi holm100. You never mentioned how long you want to lease this vehicle for or what mileage allowance you need, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Ford Taurus Limited or SEL with 15,000 miles per year are 4.0% and an extremely unattractive 39%, respectively.

As you can see, Ford Credit publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

Car_man
    Host
    Yes, that was an exactly correct assumption. Are you suggesting that this is not currently a good lease choice. Is there a better Ford option?
  • cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    if there is $5k in money out there why aren't people paying invoice minus $5k, or better? do you have to own another ford product (which we do), and if not you can only get around $2k below invoice?
    Hey holm100. Ford's lease program on the Edge appears to be much more attractive than its program on the Taurus X right now. If I was going to lease a Ford product, that is probably the direction that I would go.

Car_man
    Host
    Can you tell me what the money rate and residual are for the Edge?
    I have a friend in the business. He tells me not to purchase a new TX even at $5-6K below invoice. Many new models have been on the lot for 250+ days. This car is not selling well, its overall deprecation is extremely high, and it is scheduled to be deleted from Ford's line-up.

On the other hand, he claims that deals can be found on slightly used models, but you need to be very informed (understanding wholesale pricing) and savvy buyer or you will pay too much. Prices are extremely soft on this car!

The TX is not a bad car, it just cannot compete with the other crossover models.

Good Luck!
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    A local Ford dealer here in Minnesota is advertising the TX at $12,000 off of list. This apparently includes a $2,000 owners loyalty bonus. The other details were not listed in the ad, but this almost seems too good to be true. If so, one should be able to get a brand new TX for well under $20,000. At this price I don't understand why they aren't flying off of the lots. The TX is a really great family vehicle.

- Chad
  • danallandanallan Member Posts: 32
    If that is true, I'd fly from Texas and come and get a new one. Which dealer and then I'll do my homework.......
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    The dealership that was advertising $12,000 off of list was Superior Ford in Plymouth, MN. (www.superiorford.com) The ad was in the Sunday newspaper and it did say the offer expired 9/2. Good luck.

- Chad
    Hey holm100. Ford Credit's program on the Edge varies by term, trim level, and mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease of a 2008 Ford Edge SE AWD with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for the aforementioned combination of variables are 2.25% and 45%, respectively. Both the Edge's lease rate and residual are more attractive than the Taurus X's.

Car_man
    Host
    thank you very much - that is what I am interested in. Can you tell me how one is able to find out the residuals and money rates on all cars as you do?
    Taurus X

Aug 08: 1,670 4,863 -65.7

YTD: 18,473 27,346 -32.4

Even with $5K in rebates sales were down 65%!
    "Ford claims decreased fleet sales is one of the main reasons their sales
    are down this year. Yet 32.7 percent of their ‘08 sales sailed with the
    fleets.

Taurus and Taurus X are next, with 48.1 and 54.8 percent respectively, accounting for 34.1 percent of the nameplates' total sales."

With much slower new car sales (down 65%), and with all fleet sales (representing 55% of all Taurus Xs sold) entering the used market, prices are headed down! Way down!

Unless we start seeing $10-12K (+) discounts on new models (the going rate for a CX-9 is $9-10K off MSRP) a new Taurus X is not a good value. On the other hand, one must be very careful with the pricing of the used fleet models. Most depreciation models show (depending on the trim) $9-10K depreciation for the first year ownership. Many of these fleet models have exceeded the annual mileage cap or are in below avg condition, so addition appreciation is in order. Also, watch for big rebates on new Xs, (last month a savvy buyer could have purchased a new X for $6-7K off MSRP). You want to take that into account when pricing the used fleet models.

In attempt to stabilize the fleet prices for the X, Ford is offering floor support (interest-free cars to dealers) and/or special financing rates.

Buyers really need to do their research before purchasing this model!

Good Luck!
    According to National auction reports:

"Last week alone (1-5 Sep 08), over 100 2008 Taurus X E.B. FWD sold at auction and 68 2008 Taurus X E.B. AWD sold.... those are fairly large numbers for a week - there should be no shortage of other similar vehicles to select from."

Because of Ford Floor Support, these cars are over priced by about $1 to1.5K.

Buyers Beware!
    Examples:

In July:

Limited (Avg Condition/miles) with DVD sold at auction for $18.3K

Limited (Avg Condition/miles) w/o DVD sold at auction for $17.6K

Prices increased on August.

We all know the dealership has to make some money on these deals, but buyers need to be beware of high prices!
  • dl_caldwelldl_caldwell Member Posts: 2
    Any word on the planned Ford TX incentives for October?
    You're very welcome, holm100. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any resource that provides information on manufacturers' lease programs to the general public.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.