Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus X Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

1111213141517»

Comments

• penguins1penguins1 Member Posts: 6
    Still the best I am getting dealers in my area to do is ~$6000 off MSRP. We really need a third row that accepts car seats and this vehicle is the one we can make fit our budget the easiest (~$20K).

I can't believe 2008s aren't being given away.
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    That is basically invoice and the rebate.

They can do much better!

Good Luck.
    Thanks!

We are also looking at used ones. The trouble is we want a bench second row and those seem hard to come by. Do you think getting a 08 Taurus X SEL with ~20,000 miles for around $18K OTD is possible?

There is a private party resale on an 07 Freestyle with 6000 (that's right 6000) miles for $14K. Not a bench seat though! That would be really tempting otherwise!
    The Freestyle is better on gas (smaller engine and CVT)

It is not a refined as the TX (engine, transmission, soundproofing, etc..), but in this used car market $14K sounds pretty good. A number of people on this board love that car. I was warned by my friend in the business concerning possible problems with the CVT.

Used TX SELs w/10-20K miles were selling for $12-13K in Nov and Dec 08. Prices are up due to a shortage of cars on the used market. If you can find a SEL that was purchased at the auction in the Nov/Dec time period, the dealer should have a low enough cost to make that deal. Cars purchased Jan to date, are $3-4K more expensive.

I had a dealer offer me a new $35K MSRP Limited for around $24K. Over the next few months, a new car deal may be a better option.

Good Luck!
    There is a dealer here in Austin with a new '08 that has what we want with a sticker of $30k. I may call tomorrow and offer them $21 OTD and see what kind of laughter I get.... otherwise I will just wait patiently for a nice used deal to pop up.
    I recommend that you send an email to the Internet or New Sales Manager.

Explain that you have a good understanding of the factory incentive summaries and programs and make your offer.

Explain that you are not in a hurry (but you are ready to buy today at the right price) and that you plan to contact several other dealers, but you would like to do business with their dealership.

Be very polite, but direct. I have found that like any of us, these guys do not want to waste time.

My experience has been that some will not respond, while others will try to ignore your offer, but some do engage in a productive dialog.

You must remember at these prices, they are lucky to make holdback and a few extra bucks on incentives or fees. Many of these 08s have been on the lot for 400 (+) days, they would like to move these cars.

Good Luck!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Fact is that if you're seeing only $5K off MSRP, then there probably are people buying them at that price. Pricing is very regional, so just because you find one car in one geographic market selling for $10K off MSRP don't expect the same sort of deals in the entire country. That's why you have to be careful when reading some of these claims. The first thing you should ask when hearing of such claims is exactly what city/state they're talking about. Without that information it's sort of like saying you can buy a 3 bedroom house for $100K and expect to find it anywhere in the USA at that price!
    Bobw3 is right there are some geographic price differences, the NE had a $4500 rebate while the South has a $3500 rebate.

The public rebates are one thing, the real issue here is the factory to dealer incentives.

I agree, one must be careful about the claims made on these boards. A few months ago, there was a guy that claimed that $500 above invoice is a great deal!

Good Luck!
    I"m actually not talking about geographic differences in rebates, which are fixed, but geographic price differences based on demand, specific dealer inventory, etc.

For example Hondas are a lot cheaper in the Columbus Ohio area because of the proximity to Honda's Marysville Ohio plant. And even if you're nowhere near a plant, the supply/demand for a particular car for a particular area can vary quite a bit.

And depending on the car you're buying, $500 above invoice or even buying at MSRP can be a good deal if the car is in high demand (although I don't think the Taurus X falls into that category!)

And it depends on the individual vehicle needs. If they're buying a vehicle that's costing them a lot in repairs, it may be better not to wait months and months for the perfect deal.

I actually own an '05 Freestyle with about 70,000 miles and think it's a great car...good combination of SUV, minivan and car. I'm not too concerned with resale value, since after about 5 years the depreciation tends to even up. But if you're looking at a new car every few years than resale is an important factor.
    Still no price movement here in Austin.

Seloo... could you post recent auction sold prices for the 08s?

Thx
    Wholesale Prices Continue to Rise in March
    In March, wholesale used vehicle prices (on a mix, mileage, and seasonally adjusted basis) increased 0.6% from the previous month. The Manheim Used Vehicle Value Index now stands at 106.1, which represents a year-over-year decline of 1.5%.

About the same as before, a recently purchased used TX from the auction is not a good deal!

Talked to someone in the business concerning TX sales, Ford is not really focused on this car, it is more interested in selling F-150s, thus they are not giving dealers much in the way of factory to dealer money to clear the lots. Dealers would like to clear them because they show up as having the highest number of days on the dealer's lot (a large number of dealers have 2-3 still on their lots). Bottom line this model is dead and Ford has more important priorities! As soon as Ford puts more incentives at this car, dealers will move them fast.

Good Luck
  • chrisptown1chrisptown1 Member Posts: 41
    HI, looking @ newTx. limited sticker $$33,200. dealer offer, is $27,500. i live in Maine rb. listed as $3,500. how can i get a better deal?
  • digitalfreakdigitalfreak Member Posts: 8
    Is offering $23,500 before rebates for a new 2008 TX with an MSRP of $37k ridiculous?
    Taurus X

Monthly
    795 2,261 -64.8% Only sold 795 units in April!

YTD
    3,982 9,758 -59.2%

After driving the Veracruz, CX9 and Acadia, the Taurus X appears to be out-of-date and boring.

It is not a bad car, I would have bought a slightly used Ltd for about $15K, but I missed that opportunity (Nov/Dec). Before I would purchase a new one, it would have to be the bargain of a lifetime! T

Good Luck!
  • danallandanallan Member Posts: 32
    I love my boring 2007 Freestyle......21 mpg city, over 28 mpg highway, 6 passenger....tons of room.....great ride....I'll re-state...."best car I have ever owned and I've owned a few......"

I'm over 53k mileage now......runs just like new

IMHO, Ford's biggest mistake in not promoting this vehicle....
    My '05 FS FWD has over 70K miles and also runs like new. I've never reached 28MPG, but it's usually around 20mpg around town and in the mid-20s for highway driving. The Flex is basically a TaurusX/Freestyle with different sheet metal so now they actaully are promoting it under a new name again.

The CX-9 is a sportier version and it's a good CUV. The Acadia is bigger. I've parked my FS beside an Acadia and you can really tell the difference. I think what the FS/TaurusX/Flex have going for them is that they're really a cross between a car and SUV, while something like an Acadia or Veracruz are just to much SUV for me. Ford has done a better job compromising betweern car and SUV.

One thing I wish for on the Freestyle/TaurusX and on the new Flex is better cargo space inside through redesigning the 2nd and 3rd row of seats. It's a flat and long cargo floor but not very tall. If they could design the 2nd row to fold forward and down several inches that would really help. When you fold the 3rd row, the 3rd row folded "platform" actually has to go up several inches to line up with the folded 2nd row, and there's a lot of wasted space under that platform.

But that's just picky stuff. I paid $23K for my '05 Freestyle in Feb'05 with the Ford family plan, so that shows how great the deals are right now.

It's good to wait, but anyone who wanted to buy and hasn't already has missed the boat on the best deals.
    May marked the fifth consecutive monthly increase in wholesale used vehicle prices on a mix, mileage, and seasonally adjusted basis. The Manheim Used Vehicle Value Index now stands at 109.1, which resulted in the first year-over-gain in pricing since October, 2007.

Used TXs are way too much!

The best values are in new cars, but not the TX. I give Ford credit, they are letting this car just fade away without a whimper and without huge incentives, well as least not yet. I am glad that I did not buy this car, not because it is a bad car, it is not, but because I need something that can pull a boat.

Good Luck!
  • bronco1977bronco1977 Member Posts: 2
    We just bought a new 2008 SEL with convenience package, MSRP is $30,020. We paid $22,638.70. That includes $4500 in rebates, $500 for a trade in and tax. $3500 of the rebate is a Ford rebate and $1000 rebate is for trading in a Chrysler vehicle. This was at Medved Ford in Castle Rock, Colorado. Now there is only 16 new ones left in the state. The dealers in my area have one or two at the most on the lot, some have none at all. I've been waiting over a year for the right deal, it seemed if I was going to buy a new one, it's now or never.
    Ray
  • joes11joes11 Member Posts: 8
    I am in maryland and I have only been able to find one new Taurus X with a dealer. Does anyone know of a way to locate dealers or other new Taurus X's. I am looking for an awd and possibly limited but would be fine with SEL.

thanks
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    Try this link. http://www.fordvehicles.com/dealerships/locate/results/

Then click on "New inventory" for selected dealers.
    I just got a quote on a taurus X eddie bauer awd for 28,500 + tax tags and freight. I counter offered for 28k otd and the guy seemed to get really upset and said no one can sell it at that price and the best he can sell that car for is $32,900 otd. Mind you it has an MSRP of 35k.

what do you all think??

thanks
  • jsedlockjsedlock Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Just got a 2008 TX Limited. Traded in an 07 Freestyle. Liked the FS so much we wanted to get a new TX before they were all gone. However, I had to get the chrome wheels and my wife just hates them. I have 300 miles on the car. Anyone interested in purchasing? Anyone have an idea where i can get the standard 18 inch painted wheels? Any help appreciated.
    what is everyone getting mpg wise on their taurus x awd. I am getting a pretty bad 13.5 mpg around town just running five minute errands back and forth. Is this common?
  • larryqwlarryqw Member Posts: 52
    I have a Taurus X Limited FWD. I can get mileage anywhere from 0 MPG (idling) to 29 MPG going 60 MPH on a flat freeway.

Five minute errands are the worst for gas usage. I find my mileage drops tremendously when the engine is cold. It almost pays to drive faster when you first start to get it warmer quicker (but no high RPMs when cold for longer life).

Taking my kids to school and errands around town is the worst. Lots of idling, the engine is cold, lots of starts and stops. In a week at home doing nothing but kid shuttle I got under 15 MPG one week. So what you say makes sense. This type of driving is where Hybrids excel.

In my work commute, which is 70% freeway, I get ~23 MPG average. Last week I started on the highway and had 27.1 MPG indicated after 40 miles. But then I hit the residential area, and with lights, stops, and starts, the average MPG quickly dropped down to my usual 23 MPG.

On some occasions, like vacation trips when I'm just doing freeway and being very careful, I can get over 26 MPG, but that's rare.
    Ok, That makes sense. The 5 minute errand guzzles the fuel. I just bought the car and the mpg was the biggest drawback for me. but it seems the mpg is the same as most mini-vans so....what are you gonna do? i just drove a 30 minute trip 70% highway and i ended up back in my driveway with an average of 23mpg...which is pretty good. But all last week with no freeway it was definitely down around 13-14mpg. I guess i didn't pay attention to what i got on my old subaru as much.

thanks for the reply!
  • focus530focus530 Member Posts: 10
    Do you any update on wholesale prices for Oct-Nov for Taurus X?
    I am looking into purchasing 2009 Ltd and would appreciate average wholesale prices for this model. This would help me to negotiate reasonable retail price.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.