Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi R8

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
OK you Audi enthusiasts, here's another topic to keep you interested. What do you think of the upcoming Le Mans?
2006 Le Mans

Will it compete with Porsche?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    It'll take quite an effort to keep up with the 911, and numbers don't tell half of the story with a Porsche.

Also, the LeMans has a look akin to that of the Bugatti Veyron. Coincidence? I think not.... considering Audi owns Bugatti
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I personally can't wait to see this car. A Lamborghini Gallardo chassis with a V8, hopefully the one from the new RS4 with 420hp and direct injection. The interior should be the usual Audi stunner. I doubt if it will be out for 2006 though, most likely 2007 or so.

We'll see what they have on display at the IAA in Sept.

M
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Volkswagen owns Bugatti, Audi owns Lamborghini. Same difference, though. But, I'm sure you think it looks like a Veyron because of the silver body parts of the Le Mans (A9, maybe), but those multi-color body parts are the only similarities of the two. They are on two different platforms, from two different car companies (Although in one big company), and have two completely different engines. And, it really won't take quite an effort to keep up with Porsche when you have a Lamborghini V10 on tap. And, Audi lends Porsche some technologies (AWD), making it a little easier for Audi, if you catch my drift...

I don't think the 911 will be enough of a competition for Audi. I just hope the A9 doesn't steal sales from its cousin Gallardo. It really should compete with that weird McLaren-Mercedes sports coupe, which really looks like a knock-off of the Le Mans. The Mclaren isn't supposed to come out for a while, though, as with other Mclaren projects, because there are some problems with Mercedes and Smart right now. Wow, it seems like there are problems with all three of the big American (and partly European) companies right now, GM having the biggest problem, and Ford having the least. At least Volkswagen is coming back.
    I know you're an Audi devotee and all, but this:

" It really should compete with that weird McLaren-Mercedes sports coupe, which really looks like a knock-off of the Le Mans."

isn't even close to being true. I have to ask you if you've ever seen both cars to make such a statement. These two cars styling couldn't be any more different.

M
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    The McLaren looks nothing like a LeMans. Also, the LeMans does resemble the Veyron (at least to me) because it's pretty long bodied. Also, the midengine layout makes a bit of bulk in the back. The McLaren has a very swept back look in profile, with a gorgeous long hood and short deck. I think that the LeMans is Audi's answer to not the 911, but the new Turbo 911's or whatever they're gonna call them that will be based off of the new 911 (997). OK. I'm confused.

I've always thought that the LeMans looked a little weird. Not bad, but kind of atypical.
    http://www.autocarmagazine.com/news_article.asp?na_id=214903

Look for it in 2007. Of course we knew that the business case had to support and Audi too in order for Lamborghini to have an all-new car so this really isn't a surprise.

M
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Ummmm, YUM!

OK, so three year lease on my next car would put me at 48, which should be just about perfect for a serious MLC, and would correspond neatly with the availability of a drop-head.

Things are lining up nicely, like some sort of Aquarian planetary convergence, don't you think?
    ;-]
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    I wasn't talking about the SLR McLaren...

There's a new Mercedes-Benz P8 McLaren concept from '05, and it looks a bit too much like the LeMans, which is now being called the Audi R8, coming next spring or very early next year.
    That isn't even a real car yet, just a lot of drawings.

M
  • ayyateayyate Member Posts: 53
    According to the latest issue of AutoWeek (April 10, 2006), there will be two engines. The base 4.2L engine is right out of the RS4: 420 hp. There will also be a V10 from the upcoming S8: 480hp. At least at first. Later, there is some indication of a twin-turbo V10 rated at around 610 hp. The first car is said to be capable of 0-60 at 4.2 and top speed of 180+. The car is rumored to be scheduled for the Paris Auto Show in September.

To the original question, yes - this will put it into the 911 S territory, maybe even the 911 Turbo and S3 territory. At least in a straight line. And in base trim, a price of around $100K will put it in the price range of all three, sort of.

If the question is referring to the kind of owner loyalty and devotion that Porsche enjoys, the answer is clearly "not a chance". Porsche owners have sacrificed marriages and more over their cars.
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    I look forward to seeing the V10 with 550hp or so. That will be a stunner! I wonder how it will compare to the upcoming RS6 with a a minimum rating of 520 bhp. The new S6 was very impressive in a head to head competition with the M5 and E55 in the lastest issue of Automobile Magazine (The World's Best Sport Sedans). It was actually a winner in many ways, yet about 100bhp less than the others. One can only imagine how the RS6 and R8 will be like.
    Host, can we get a name change to Audi R8 since we know the name of this car now?

M
    Well the whole idea is to match the 911 in various trims.

This car is going to be a stunner for sure. I think we'll get the official pics sometime in August right before the unveiling in Sept. at the Paris Auto Show.

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Thanks for the tip - done!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

The Baby has arrived! Awesome is an understatement!
    Indeed and it is a stunna:

Audi has incorporated the name and the genes of the five-time Le Mans winner, the Audi R8, into a spectacular sports car. Three years after the unveiling of the Audi Le Mans quattro concept car, the production version will be making its debut at the Paris Motor Show in the guise of the new Audi R8 mid-engined sports model. It is a fascinating driving machine and the sporty pinnacle of the Audi brand. The mid-mounted 420 bhp V8 FSI engine, quattro permanent four-wheel drive and Audi Space Frame aluminium body form the basis for truly outstanding driving dynamics. The Audi R8 will be available to order from 28 September 2006; first deliveries will be made in the first half of 2007.

Full Article

M
    So Stunna!
  • shrinkrapshrinkrap Member Posts: 17
    I've just become a convert to the Audi product line (and my 2007 A8L hasn't yet arrived!)...but I have been blown away by the company's microsite video of the R8. In addition to the upcoming choices of engines in future years, a recent issue of Motor Trend predicts a Spyder model for 2009 - which may be about when one of these cars could become available (IF one orders now)!

shrinkrap
  • teds1teds1 Member Posts: 180
    So I know it's cheating but for the new R8 come on... a dealership counts as a sighting right? At lunch today in NYC, I went over to the new Audi showroom on 47th and Park. Very cool, if you are in the neighborhood or visiting NY I would definitely reccomend a quick stopover. They still had the 1934 Auto Union Type D racer which was phenomenal to see in person. They also had a Q7 (who cares), a kitted out A8 W12 (incredible interor... you wouldn't want to spill a coke back in there let me tell you), a bright yellow RS4... one of my current favorites to see in person, and the R8. The R8 is very approachable on the spinning podium and I got some great views. They said it would probably start at $100k (not $120k as has been reported) for the V8. The interior was very cool, classic Audi and there is a glass engine cover like on a 360/430 to show off the goods. There is a small front trunk which I saw opened, pretty tiny really... with no rear trunk or behind seat room one would be pressed to go somewhere for the weekend in one of these. The overall shape looks even better in person but I think it would be prettier with a matching color airblade. Of course, since the blade is carbon fibre that means you have to get a black car b/c painting it over would be a crime. The headlights are some of the best I have ever seen. There were several suede loaferedferrari owning types in the showroom drooling over it and asking questions. Awesome car overall
    Well actually that air blade is an option. The standard piece is good old fashioned sheetmetal.

This is just the type of buzz that Audi needs. Sounds awesome.

M
  • npernper Member Posts: 6
    I have just added an album of pics I took while they were shooting the R8 for the press kit. Check them out in my albums. The car is absolutely gorgeous and the engine sound is awesome. I have no doubt it will be a hot seller.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Cool, thanks for sharing. Here's the link in case others want to view your albums:
    http://www.carspace.com/nper

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Awesome pics! Audi really needed this type of car. Now if they follow it up with a stunning A4 they'll be making real progress in the U.S. market.

If it is alright with you I'll post one of your pics on Germancarzone, they're going to go nuts!!!!!

M
    Sure thing, post them anywhere you'd like. I am sorry I did not get a chance to take a pic of the interior, but I had to go get my camera, and by the time I got back, they were in a rush. Glad you liked the pics. Once again, the car is UNBELIEVABLE and stunning.
    Hey simonsays,
    a) the people who will buy this car are not interested in having the fastest or most powerful car on the road. Instead, they like latest technology, safety of AWD, the nicest interior in any sports car and the prestige of owning a (fairly) limited edition piece of machinery.
    b) The 4.2L V8 is the mid-level engine. Wait till you see the V10 with (rumored) twin turbos, pushing north of 550hp. Anyways, the 420hp is more than enough in such a small and light car.
    c) This is a much more civilized car than the awesome but not very user-friendly Gallardo.
    d) In case you did not know, Audi will take on the Lambo with the V10 version, as they seem hell-bent on having a car for every niche of the market, which pisses some of the companies from the WAG off.
    e) I think you need to drive the car before you call it a "pile of junk".
  • ricardoheadricardohead Member Posts: 48
    Thought you all would enjoy these...
    ;)
  • dtsanger1dtsanger1 Member Posts: 1
    Saw an R8 in the flesh today here near Lake Las Vegas, all I can say is WOW, the front 3/4 view reminded me of a Ferrari F430, very hot, plus the V8 makes a really nice growl on acceleration. Hope this link works...

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbN2LVo5atG3j
    The R8 is a stunner alright. Thanks for the pics!

M
    the more I want this car. Only the blade detracts from the overall appearance, but the rest of it is so delicious that I can overlook the blade.

I don't get pumped up about entries in the "supercar" segment very often, but this is one that fosters serious lust factor for me.

Now, how to explain to the Mrs. that we're moving to a mobile home...

M
    Gee, thanks a lot, bud! ;)

Red one I've seen in older promo shots, but I notice it isn't on the "microsite". S'okay. My thought is that if you feel you have to buy a car like that in red, you're compenstaing somethin' fierce...

Nice post, Merc.
    Yeah red is a little garish for such a car. Audis are so rich in details and their interiors are the best going IMO:

Such an alluring car no matter what part of it you focus on:

M
  • dkaplan435dkaplan435 Member Posts: 23
    Went to the Chicago Auto show and saw the R8 in person.

What a hot car!! Mid Engine, lots of carbon fiber...

Super Hot... here are a few photos.

http://www.taxicabs.com/autoshow/chicago2007/Audi/R8/index.html

Just click the photo to advance to the next one.
  • cartitanscartitans Member Posts: 1
    Seen one live at my local Audi dealer... get close to it, kneel down and watch the car from behind... one of the nicest things you'll ever see :)

Michael
    Webmaster - Supercar wallpapers and car videos on CarTitans.com
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Any1 lucky here got a R8 it is a beauty :surprise:
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I had one out on-track with us at Pocono Raceway last weekend at a local NASA HPDE. Very nice tone and overall great almost-super-car.

-mike
  • R8SELMAR8SELMA Member Posts: 1
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE HIGH-PITCHED WHINING SOUND THAT IS HEARD IN THE ENGINE BAY WHEN THE DRIVERS DOOR OR ENGINE BAY LID IS OPENED. IT ONLY OCCURS AFTER THE VEHICLE SETS FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. THANKS.

R8SELMA
  • dloopdloop Member Posts: 2
    This seems like a total waste. What's the point? They already own Lamborghini, why would you make an Audi to compete with it? I predict that this is just another Pheaton in the making. People rightly concluded that it was stupid to buy a Pheaton when you could have an A8. Likewise, it would be stupid to buy an $200K+ R8 when you could have a Gallardo.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    I visited my local Audi dealer today and posed them the question:

"Are there any difference in how customer service is handled for owners of R8 .vs. A4 Avant ? (differences in loaner policy, warranty thoroughness, etc)"

The sales rep, one of the dealer's long termers, told me the service is exactly the same.

Uh...
    We're talking a $200,000 vehicle .vs. a $50,000 vehicle; A 4:1 price difference. And the service the $200,000 vehicle owner gets is the same ???
    I would assume the service department would at least try a little harder for R8 owners, especially if (as this dealer told me) customers are now waiting over a year just to __purchase__ one.

Also, has any R8 owner posting here had experience with their R8's in winter weather?
    Or is the R8 really intended for moderate climates?
  • relidtmrelidtm Member Posts: 1
    A gallardo is 200k +... a r8 v10 is 143k.... ? explain your logic?
  • RonnieRogueRonnieRogue Member Posts: 1
    I'd take the R8 over a lambo anyday.
  • rossq1rossq1 Member Posts: 1
    Look at a Rossion Q1. Faster quarter mile times, faster through the slalom. Much lighter. >1.1Gs. Much less expensive. Pretty car. Much lower maintenance costs.
  • grr8r8grr8r8 Member Posts: 1
    That is just BS that R8 customers are treated the same way A4 customers are treated. When I had my 5,000 mile service done they provide me with a new Audi demo car. Any time I want to get my car hand washed they do it no charge. I have the General Managers cell number and home number. If something goes wrong I can call him at any time. I also have an A8L. They always provide me with either an A8 or A6 loaner vehicle, not the Enterprise Chev that A4 owners get as a loaner. I never have to wait for service on my vehicles.

There are special factory trainer service people for the R8. They are the only ones that are allowed to work on the R8. These are the best of the best. I had an electrical short that could not be found. Audi AG sent a technician in from Germany to find the problem. It took two men two days to find the problem, but they did find it. Do you think they would do this on an A4?

R8 owners are treated like Royalty, something I do not get from the office. :blush:
  • IEHoopitieIEHoopitie Member Posts: 4
    I agree. Much nicer looking car. Chick magnet. Dosen't look like a kit car. I have heard one on the road and it has a much nicer exaust note than the Lambo.
  • maramaralulamaramaralula Member Posts: 1

IF I have 500k, i would buy the audi R8 and a 300k house... not a logic everyone will accept. But after getting the chance to drive it for a weekend, it is definitely worth it!

• juicyfruitjuicyfruit Member Posts: 1
    If you had the opportunity to buy an Audi or buy an apartment, what color would you choose? :3