Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Sierra 1500 vs. CHEVY Silverado 1500

Comments

• boatman5boatman5 Member Posts: 5
    it's new....ATT cable internet, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. oh well. Already starting to look at the Ford F-150 with optional v8. Thanks.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ...but it won't like it on a regular basis......get a V-8....if you had to tow it for a friend once......V-6 OK....but for me as something I would do on regular basis....V-8..

some little guy may be able to lift the weights right along with the big guys.....but he ain't gonna do it as long.....

- Tim
  • astralqtastralqt Member Posts: 3
    Recently purchased a 2001 Chev Silverado LT Z71, 4x4, ext.cab, and loaded. Big mistake! I failed to fully do my research and test driving. The front end is very "mushy", while the rear is very "choppy". Front end reminds me of a 50's worn out large car, and the rear like an empty dump truck. Have tried different tires, spring work, shocks, varying air pressures, etc. Nothing helped!!! Also, lot's of wind noise,and fit and trim is not that great either.
    Now for the "Fix". I took the hit and ordered a Ford F-150 Lariat comparably equipped!
    smell F150Rules?

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Actually sounds more like BLD if you ask me...
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Bud/ZBAD is back?? Oh no...
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    oh god.

I think the fit and trim gave it away.

Pretty sad when you gotta make stories up

Ryan
  • astralqtastralqt Member Posts: 3
    Ryan,

No BS here! Not talking about major stuff, but things like seam gap between hood and fender, one end of tailgate higher than the other, width of gap between door and body seams. Guess I am picky, picky, picky!!!! I would like to know if anyone else has experienced ride problems?
    No ride problems for me. Just a damn dash rattle which i fixed earlier this wk woohoo. No truck is perfect trust me i am picky and cant find much wrong with this truck.

Ryan
  • itsaplotitsaplot Member Posts: 11
    Ryan, My 2001 Silverado has been just great. With the one exception of that "damn dash rattle" you referred too. What did you do to correct the problem? Tighten something down? Replace the dash?Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Sandy
    I took the dash apart. Very simple to do. Open drivers side door. Where the vent is (and autotrac if you have push button 4x4) and you can see the trim that attatches to the dash. Pull that apart it just snaps apart. Unsnap it all the way down past the radio. ALl i did was above the oil and temp gauges in the dash was put a long piece of foam with tape backing probably about 3/4" thick. Reattacthed the dash snapped back together and its great. Let me know if you need any furthur assistance.

Ryan
    Ryan, Thanks for the quick response. I will try that this weekend and let you know how it turns out. -Sandy
    If you cant find the location of where to put the foam let me know i can take some pics (kinda scared to take dash apart but i will if you need a visual look at it)

Where exactly is your noise coming from? I know i knew the exact spot of mine

Ryan
  • sfishsfish Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone know if you can get a factory type transmission heat gauage installed like on the 2500? Also to the guy complaining about ride, I switched up from a 91 explorer and couldn't be happier about the ride wife and kids rave about how smooth it is.
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    You won't be able to order the transmission temp gage because the instrument cluster comes as a complete unit.

I checked into this a couple of months ago. You would have to return a core unit (instrument cluster) in exchange for the new one.

I don't remember who makes the instrument clusters for GM, but it's not GM themselves (Hughes Electronics?). You would also have to put in the wiring for the gage to work.

The 4L60 transmission on the 1/2 ton pickups doesn't have the wiring sensor going to the transmission oil pan ..... the 4L80 transmission has the wiring sensor in place & is ready to go.

rcoos
    Ryan, Most of the noise seems to be coming from behind the speedometer area. It's really just a little vibration. Not a real loud rattle. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. It's such a minor problem. But it's the only thing that keeps my truck from being perfect. Edmunds did warn me about the cheap feeling interior. I still liked it better than the F-150 though. Thanks again for your help.
  • sfishsfish Member Posts: 27
    A Chevy dealer told me that putting a bug deflector/hood guard on my new 2001 would decrease the gas milage. Is this true?
    or at most.
  • rickslickrickslick Member Posts: 27
    WITH A COVER OVER THE BEDLINER?? NEVER OWNED A TRUCK BUT AM THINKING OF 01 SIVLERADO.
    maybe 1-2 mpg. Less resistance on freeway driving. Not much on city.
    and the air...I run a bug guard AND open bed!

LOL

- Tim
    Before buying my 2001 Silverado, I test drove over 15 different Chevy's, GMC's and F-150's. The differences were minor and I finally chose the Silverado over the Sierra because I liked the Chevy dealership for service and pricing. GMC dealers can be so snobby. The F-150's were nice trucks but I've had too many service issues with Ford in the past and couldn't get over that hurdle. Edmunds pricing advice was right on and I got the truck for the dealer's invoice price.
  • baddabingbaddabing Member Posts: 4
    I have been to many websites offering to give the lowest price on a Silverado. But they never come thru. So I went to "Road and Track's" page and basically Ordered the Truck I want with the options I need... I printed it out and faxed it to all the local dealers, most made promises they could not keep and just wasted my time. And the other's said, "That Truck is NOT Available"...
    Well I say Bulloney... The Order form which I filled out was a "Standard / Options" Order form from Chevrolet. And if I wanted an Option than was not available for the base model i started with it would not accept the choice I made.
    So my question is this... How do I find the Truck I want? , at Dealers cost.?
    My Pledge. If some can help me "I will make for them a Set of custom Vinyl Graphics for the vehicle of their choice" Any colors, configuration
    or theme... This is what I do for a living.

Thanks in advance, Allen
    Can i ask where u r from?

Ryan
    check the profile
    dean im lazy
    Iam in south Florida...
    Thanks for noticing the AD, this is the 1st time I get a response in any forum...(maybe I should change my shirt???)
    And whats this I hear "Silverado's V#I*B%R@A+T}E"?
    You mean you didn't know?
    only them 2wd trucks. get a real truck 4WD

Ryan
    Oh yeah, can use them in the everglades...

Dean
    oby,
    Have you forgotten about the towering mountains in Florida? ;)
    4wd for looks

What about them hurricanes. Autotrac will come in very handy

Ryan
    O.K. you guys are killing me with the Florida jokes, I know em all... The highest peaks in florida are the over passes. And SUV's are used to take the family to the Mall... I know I know.
    But dont forget, we have lost of boats, some are big Like mine.... We need 4WD for more than just runnig over some rocks.
    Allen
    SEE WOOHOO i knew he needed 4WD.

Ryan
    and get the lsd. Everyone I know don't bother with 4wd when hauling their boat out. Maybe our boat ramps are built different....in Hawaii...LOL!!
    Dean do you have boat ramps there? i couldnt imagine being surrounded by water

Ryan
    that's a good question...but then again, how else does one get their boat in the water? LOL!!

Dean
    Maybe you have those planes that double as boats???

Ryan
    I'm sure many of the 4x4 owners in Florida don't own boats.
    Are we talking about them yuppy things again...
  • ntdntd Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced a the problem where, on the standard chevy silverado, the center caps (on the rims) fall off when your driving? The dealer tells me that there are two versions of plastic lugs that hold on the center cap and I have the wrong ones (shorter ones)!
    The caps fall off because the nuts that hold them on are plastic and cannot be wrench tightened. All it is...is more cheap plastic courtesy of GM. Did he ever show you the longer plastic lugs? Even if they were longer, still can't be wrench tightened and eventually will work itself loose.
  • bigal31bigal31 Member Posts: 189
    on a 2k silverado 1500 S/B 4x4 ext-cab. I haven't seen the truck yet (dealer located) is there anything I should look out for when I pick it up Tuesday? Details please, large or small.

I have been following this thread and others. I'm a little worried about this "shaking" front end problem. Is there anything else???
    Thanks,

Allen-
    still does it...'01 doesn't or not as much. Vibrations at 38-45 and 60-65. Last but not least...firestones.. try to swap out before accepting the truck. Much harder after accepting delivery... my $.02
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    NTD and Obyone

If you have the shorter ones, they will come loose and fall off. Look at how they are designed.

On the bottom of the plastic nuts (the surface that seats with the cap when tightened all the way down), there are 3 little half moon 'bumps', about 120° apart.

Now look on the nut-seating surface of the cap. You will see the same size half moon indentions.

THIS IS WHERE THE NUT LOCKS INTO THE CAP.

Simply find a socket (25 mm I think) that will fit over the plastic lug, and tighten the lug BY HAND!!. IF you have the proper length lug, when you tighten it down by hand, you will feel it start to get tight, then pop into place. THAT IS THE LOCK. If you do not feel it pop into place, it will come loose. It is possible to turn it after it locks, but you will be strip-threading the plastic.

Actually, I think its a pretty cool design.
    When rotating my tires, I "locked" each plastic lug in place personally. One week later, there were at least one lug "loose" on each wheel and actually two on the driver's front. Bad design if you ask me plus its difficult to clean between the plastic lug and the cap without being anal and using a cotton swab.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    ah ha

well, I guess they got different designs than mine.
    oby,

yuppie? Are they the ones that own SUVS? ;)
    Hear tell lately that them yuppies been buying trucks to pick up groceries. They figured it's cheaper than a SUV and can always put on a camper for the same effect... LOL!!
This discussion has been closed.